Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Technical Support

joachimt
Donator

Re: Technical Support

Post by joachimt » March 12th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Oh, from command prompt. Didn't get that.
Anyway, Nathan already did the job for me. Thanks anyway!
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » March 20th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Got a new ASUS ZenBook laptop recently (after replacing my trusted MBP that served me 10 years, dead motherboard) and have a strange issue that I am unable to get rid of. When connecting to remote desktop session and minimizing the default Win 10 remote client I get a black screen - the only solution is to close the connection and open it again. This is an extremely annoying problem, have searched online for solutions, but none of them work. What is even more strange though is that the MS remote desktop client that is on the Windows Store (they have 2 versions there, one is "preview") does NOT have this problem BUT they both have another problem that I cannot resolve, i.e. cannot get the proper letters on the keyboard... it just seems a different key mapping, i.e. letters don't correspond. Again tried almost everything, nothing helps. Strange that this problem is not present on the default remote client built into Windows, but the one on the Store is apparently newer yet has this issue...

Another issue that I managed to resolve is the wireless adapter that disconnects after sleep... some idiot removed a power management tab under the adapter settings... had to enter a new registry key to get that setting back in there... WTF?

Touchpad was a bit wobbly, i.e. stuttering, seems I have managed to resolve this by rolling back the new driver (2018) to the previous old (2006) version, go figure...

Apart from these issues quite a solid laptop with i7, 16gb RAM, nice 15 inch display and great battery life. Was debating between this Dell XPS and Thinkpads. Apple new notebooks were a bit out of my price range..

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 21st, 2019, 1:36 am

bal3x wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 8:21 pm
WTF?
Windows Ten Feature? :whistling:

EDIT: Oh, hey, now you can install Linux on it! Dual-boot it and you can try and see if the RDP in Linux works better.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » March 21st, 2019, 7:31 am

Bal3x : do you mean MSTSC.exe genuine client and then other 2 windows store Terminal server client ?

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » March 21st, 2019, 9:29 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 1:36 am
bal3x wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 8:21 pm
WTF?
Windows Ten Feature? :whistling:

EDIT: Oh, hey, now you can install Linux on it! Dual-boot it and you can try and see if the RDP in Linux works better.
:D I would not be using Windows, but need it for work. I've been thinking about installing Linux - what distro would you recommend - Mint?

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » March 21st, 2019, 9:34 am

Tim2460 wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 7:31 am
Bal3x : do you mean MSTSC.exe genuine client and then other 2 windows store Terminal server client ?
Yap! Tried all 3 of them, the default built-in one gives the black screen on minimize and the ones from the store give wrong letters. I can work with MSTSC as long as I don't minimize the window.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » March 21st, 2019, 10:09 am

Weird issue indeed... What about forcing an non full screen size on the shortcut or when launching your rdp connection : same symptoms?

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » March 21st, 2019, 10:16 am

Tim2460 wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 10:09 am
Weird issue indeed... What about forcing an non full screen size on the shortcut or when launching your rdp connection : same symptoms?
Yeah, this does not really help. Oh well, I guess I just need not minimize the window.. and try installing Linux :)

btw, the trackpad issue still remains, I'm now reading it's a common problem with these ASUS notebooks.. I do hope I can manage to resolve this without having to bring this to service, It does appear to be a Win 10 driver issue, even though some are saying it's a hardware issue that can only be resolved by removing the back cover and inserting a tinfoil between the trackpad and the battery...

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » March 21st, 2019, 10:34 am

https://superuser.com/questions/976290/ ... isconnects

Some solutions there but I guess you tried them as well

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » March 21st, 2019, 11:03 am

Tim2460 wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 10:34 am
https://superuser.com/questions/976290/ ... isconnects

Some solutions there but I guess you tried them as well
Yeah, thanks, I saw that one, didn't really help :(

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » March 21st, 2019, 2:07 pm

Never encountered such a symptom @ work... And we're over 50 users in that buiding RDPing to our client...

But We don't have fancy Asus Notebook ... We're @ work here we use Dell ones lol.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » March 21st, 2019, 2:37 pm

Tim2460 wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 2:07 pm
Never encountered such a symptom @ work... And we're over 50 users in that buiding RDPing to our client...

But We don't have fancy Asus Notebook ... We're @ work here we use Dell ones lol.
Yeah... I will probably bring in the notebook to service to see if they can resolve the trackpad issue, if they cannot perhaps I can get a replacement... I was going to get the DELL XPS, but they were not available here... or priced way above what is normally asked for them in the US for example, so the selection was rather limited, I was specifically looking for 15" laptop, these days they are mostly 13".

I would have picked up an MBP, but Apple charges close to 3K EUR for these now... I'm not willing to spend more than 1K EUR on a laptop, I believe that is already a high enough price. The Dell XPS here costs around 1500 EUR..

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 26th, 2019, 1:57 am

I have cells with linebreaks in a spreadsheet.
If I copy one cell it pastes the contents correctly.
If I copy multiple cells from one column it doesn't:
Libre office: It turns linebreaks into spaces.
Excel: It keeps the linebreaks and puts each cell in quotes.

This used to work fine in previous versions. What can I do to change this behaviour?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » March 26th, 2019, 2:17 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 1:57 am
I have cells with linebreaks in a spreadsheet.
If I copy one cell it pastes the contents correctly.
If I copy multiple cells from one column it doesn't:
Libre office: It turns linebreaks into spaces.
Excel: It keeps the linebreaks and puts each cell in quotes.

This used to work fine in previous versions. What can I do to change this behaviour?
Cry?

I've been having the same problem, but I've never cared enough to fix it. But since you're posting poll results, I see the annoyance. Best I can tell from the above link, solutions can range from reprogramming the forum editor here, writing a script/macro to do this, or copying/pasting into a third program before pasting here.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 26th, 2019, 2:29 am

Yeah no third program seems to work and writing a macro or reprogramming the forum editor are ridiculous solutions. I can kind of sort of understand why excel does the stupid thing it does, I have no clue why libre office does what it does. I had found that link before. I can't find any mention of the libre office issue anywhere.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 26th, 2019, 3:01 am

Actually excel doesn't do the quote thing anymore, it does the same stupid thing as libreoffice. Maybe it's some windows 10 setting? It doesn't seem to matter what program I paste stuff into.

Edit: Actually it works in Word. So I'll use that for now but it's really annoying.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 26th, 2019, 6:01 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 2:29 am
Yeah no third program seems to work and writing a macro or reprogramming the forum editor are ridiculous solutions. I can kind of sort of understand why excel does the stupid thing it does, I have no clue why libre office does what it does. I had found that link before. I can't find any mention of the libre office issue anywhere.
Thought: Paste the column into a new Excel document, save as .csv. Close file, reopen with Excel. What does it do?

Another workaround might be to double-click the "wall" between the column in question and the next to expand the width of the column to display all the content in the cells of that column. That might solve the line break issue. I don't have Excel so I can't check for you.
ImageImageImageImage

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 26th, 2019, 6:13 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 6:01 am
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 2:29 am
Thought: Paste the column into a new Excel document, save as .csv. Close file, reopen with Excel. What does it do?

Another workaround might be to double-click the "wall" between the column in question and the next to expand the width of the column to display all the content in the cells of that column. That might solve the line break issue. I don't have Excel so I can't check for you.
Changing it to csv does nothing.
I don't know what your 2nd proposal could possibly do but it does nothing. The line breaks are there, they display fine in excel/libreoffice, they copy fine if I copy a single cell. It's something with how it processes the linebreaks when copying multiple cells, they're still there in that if you paste into another spreadsheet it keeps things fine, but copy into notepad++ or a browser or any other program that doesn't have tables and it just deletes the linebreaks within the cells.
Do you have libreoffice? The issue is the same in both.
Simple experiment write 1 ctrl-enter 2 then 3 ctrl-enter 4 in cell below it. Copy the cells. Paste them in a spreadsheet and they keep the breaks. Paste them here and you get
1 2
3 4

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 26th, 2019, 6:17 am

A direct paste from my LibreOffice (5.1.6.2):

"1
2"
"3
4"
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 26th, 2019, 6:19 am

Oh, and I clearly had a brainfart earlier, I thought you wanted the linebreaks gone, you want to keep them (but not with quotes).
ImageImageImageImage

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 26th, 2019, 6:26 am

I have libre office 6.1.4.2 I think pre 5 version worked the way I want, clearly they've gotten worse.
The best workaround is to concatenate cells so that I only copy once cell at a time. But still I really wish there was a setting to stop this I can't see what this is solving over the previous way to do it.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 6th, 2019, 8:11 am

I'm installing a new laptop. It comes with a 30-day trial version of Norton, which I removed. What virusprotection do you guys use nowadays?
ICM-profile

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 6th, 2019, 8:19 am

I use AVG but I'm starting to get fed up with it since it's become a constant notification overload. My 'favourite' is a notification of 'oh we see you're playing this game full screen let us add this to an ignore list so we don't bother you while playing it'. I'm thinking of switching to Malwarebytes.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 6th, 2019, 8:24 am

There's also Windows Defender, but I'm wondering if it's enough. Virus & threat protection isn't fully working. It says I need to setup OneDrive, but I don't want a Microsoft account and am not interested in OneDrive for personal use (I only use it at work).
ICM-profile

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » May 6th, 2019, 1:07 pm

joachimt wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 8:24 am
There's also Windows Defender, but I'm wondering if it's enough. Virus & threat protection isn't fully working. It says I need to setup OneDrive, but I don't want a Microsoft account and am not interested in OneDrive for personal use (I only use it at work).
Stick with built in solution, no need to install 3rd party tools, the less you install the better... the one I would recommend is Malwarebytes, run some occasional scans with that one and you should be OK. If you don't need OneDrive you can remove it, there are tools for that, I use this one: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 6th, 2019, 2:24 pm

I agree with Bal3x, using Windows Defender or Malwarebytes would be what I would do if I ran Windows on my machine, knowing that neither of them are all that effective (but none of them are, so it's the best of a bad bunch).
ImageImageImageImage

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 6th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Does Windows Defender work without OneDrive? It seems so at second glance. I thought it wasn't, because it gave me a yellow exclamation mark and it said I should login with my Microsoft account. I just hit "dismiss" and now it gives me a green mark like I'm okay.
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 6th, 2019, 2:49 pm

joachimt wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 8:24 am
I've been using Defender exclusively on my Win10 box since I bought it (and MSE on Win7 boxes for a couple years now). I occasionally run Malwarebytes scans on the Win7 box, and can't remember the last time anything found hits.

Haven't even bothered to install Malwarebytes on the Win10 box.

The one thing I have added to my security regimen is regular scans with SuperAntiSpyware - it targets invasive cookies that have largely been hitting my system through Chrome. While I use Chrome heavily for certain sites that don't drop spyware, almost all searches are run on Firefox which I've hardened substantially. Still, spyware now comes in (about four a week) attached to FF, so SAS nukes that crap.

I did a fair amount of reading online before I made the switch to Defender and removed Avast for all its bloatware and constant popups trying to sell me their pro version. I just got tired of it. Used AVG years back - not sure why I switched from it to Avast, but annoyance was probably high on the list.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » May 6th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Oh, Avast... used to be a good product, but they fucked up big time, see what they did with CCleaner... it's best to avoid such "free" tools as they often cause more problems than they solve. Norton is another terrible bloated crap (even though I hear they have improved recently), and there's McAfee which even requires a SPECIAL removal tool to get all their crap out of the system... I learned this when I got a new ASUS with this crap pre-installed...
I'm not even sure the antivirus ratings can be trusted even though normally Kaspersky and Bitdefender score high on those lists, they both offer free products, but they provide just basic protection anyway so I'm not sure their use is justified unless you buy the full version.

And, yeah, SuperAntiSpyware is OK too as @xianjiro mentioned, I have it installed and run some occasional scans.

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » May 8th, 2019, 2:13 am

So here's a silly question. I want to rip my DVD/BR collection but I have honestly no idea how it's done. What's the best (free) ripper out there? Can all DVDs be ripped, even the region restricted ones?
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter
ImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 8th, 2019, 2:33 am

Hunziker wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 2:13 am
So here's a silly question. I want to rip my DVD/BR collection but I have honestly no idea how it's done. What's the best (free) ripper out there? Can all DVDs be ripped, even the region restricted ones?
All DVD's can be ripped and the best ripper is probably DVD Decrypter, at least that's what I used before switching to Linux.

This just rips the DVD to a "Video_TS" folder (so a full copy of the disc, basically) and then you use some other software to make a "regular" rip (.avi or .mkv or whatever you want). For that there's a bunch of different programs, like Handbrake or makemkv.
ImageImageImageImage

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » May 8th, 2019, 3:35 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 2:33 am
Hunziker wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 2:13 am
All DVD's can be ripped and the best ripper is probably DVD Decrypter, at least that's what I used before switching to Linux.

This just rips the DVD to a "Video_TS" folder (so a full copy of the disc, basically) and then you use some other software to make a "regular" rip (.avi or .mkv or whatever you want). For that there's a bunch of different programs, like Handbrake or makemkv.
Thanks K! :worship:
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter
ImageImage

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 8th, 2019, 3:50 am

MakeMKV will rip directly from bluray or DVD and let you choose which tracks you want. It doesn't compress though.

Certain versions of Handbrake will also rip directly from DVD. Not sure about bluray though.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » May 10th, 2019, 11:09 am

Building an NAS from spare pieces i grabbed @Work...

Anyone here has an OpenMediaVault DIY NAS ?

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 10th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Tim2460 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 11:09 am

No, but I have been looking at building one for a rather long time. I just have not pulled the trigger because I've been using old spare laptops that do not lend themselves to that style of deployment due to extremely slow bus speeds.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 10th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Tim2460 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 11:09 am

Nope, but I'm in the market myself for an upgrade/replacement of my current NAS, so I'd love to know what you're doing and how it works out. I'm personally looking into more of a home server thingy (ideally it'd be a beast of a server with unlimited storage and a price tag of $200. I did say ideally).

My line of thinking has been something that can stream 3 1080p streams on the LAN and store ~20 TB of data, so something that's perhaps using ZFS (RAIDZ2) and FreeNAS?
ImageImageImageImage

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 12th, 2019, 12:13 am

Um, so Firefox won't let me connect to iCM anymore:

Did Not Connect: Potential Security Issue

Firefox detected an issue and did not continue to www.icheckmovies.com. The website is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the wrong time.

It’s likely the website’s certificate is expired, which prevents Firefox from connecting securely.

What can you do about it?

www.icheckmovies.com has a security policy called HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS), which means that Firefox can only connect to it securely. You can’t add an exception to visit this site.

Your computer clock is set to 12/05/2019. Make sure your computer is set to the correct date, time, and time zone in your system settings, and then refresh www.icheckmovies.com.

If your clock is already set to the right time, the website is likely misconfigured, and there is nothing you can do to resolve the issue. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » May 12th, 2019, 12:21 am

I have the problem with both Firefox and Safari. And then I see something that says the site's certificate began on May 11, 2014 and expires on May 11, 2019. Uh oh.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » May 12th, 2019, 12:22 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 12:13 am
Um, so Firefox won't let me connect to iCM anymore:

Did Not Connect: Potential Security Issue

Firefox detected an issue and did not continue to www.icheckmovies.com. The website is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the wrong time.

It’s likely the website’s certificate is expired, which prevents Firefox from connecting securely.

What can you do about it?

www.icheckmovies.com has a security policy called HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS), which means that Firefox can only connect to it securely. You can’t add an exception to visit this site.

Your computer clock is set to 12/05/2019. Make sure your computer is set to the correct date, time, and time zone in your system settings, and then refresh www.icheckmovies.com.

If your clock is already set to the right time, the website is likely misconfigured, and there is nothing you can do to resolve the issue. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.
Likewise with Chrome for me... I wonder if Marjin needs to pay the bill?
Last edited by Nathan Treadway on May 12th, 2019, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 12th, 2019, 12:22 am

Yeah doesn't work for me either. The certificate did expire. I assume Marijn is asleep by now, so it probably won't be fixed for 8-12 hours.