Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Technical Support

Post Reply
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29358
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Technical Support

#1441

Post by joachimt » January 25th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Coryn wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suddenly I can't order my awards by rank anymore ?
Only options are closest award and name.

Anyone knows why?
You mean sorting the lists on the progress page? The word "rank" is behind the "Miscellaneous" tab. That's a bug that has been there before. Hadn't seen it in a while, but I rarely do this. You can click on it if you aim well enough. Or you can put ?sort=rank behind the url.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 567
Joined: Dec 05, 2018
Contact:

#1442

Post by Coryn » January 25th, 2019, 4:53 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 4:47 pm
Coryn wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suddenly I can't order my awards by rank anymore ?
Only options are closest award and name.

Anyone knows why?
You mean sorting the lists on the progress page? The word "rank" is behind the "Miscellaneous" tab. That's a bug that has been there before. Hadn't seen it in a while, but I rarely do this. You can click on it if you aim well enough. Or you can put ?sort=rank behind the url.
Thanks for the help, the bug only started today for me.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

User avatar
blueboybob
Donator
Posts: 1284
Joined: Mar 11, 2013
Location: DC
Contact:

#1443

Post by blueboybob » January 25th, 2019, 6:35 pm

your zoom changed? ctrl scroll with mouse

User avatar
sortile9io
Posts: 2801
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
Contact:

#1444

Post by sortile9io » January 26th, 2019, 5:07 pm

:ph43r:

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#1445

Post by Ebbywebby » January 26th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Yeah, I'm disappointed that the "hidden Rank option" bug is back...that really frustrated me in the past, and I was glad when it was fixed.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29358
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1446

Post by joachimt » February 2nd, 2019, 8:56 pm

I have exported 57 iCM lists. I want all the IMDb URLs of all those files into one column. Is there an easy way to do that? Or should I just open each file and copy-paste that column to a new sheet?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22934
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1447

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 2nd, 2019, 9:28 pm

comand prompt:
copy *.csv target.csv
Assuming they're all in one folder.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29358
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1448

Post by joachimt » February 2nd, 2019, 9:29 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 9:28 pm
comand prompt:
copy *.csv target.csv
Assuming they're all in one folder.
How do I tell the command prompt which folder he needs to look? They are all in one folder indeed and no other files in that folder.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22934
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1449

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 2nd, 2019, 9:31 pm

make the folder something with an easy path say c:\lists
Run command prompt
cd c:\lists

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29358
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1450

Post by joachimt » February 2nd, 2019, 9:38 pm

Oh wow, that was easy. Thanks!
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22934
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1451

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 2nd, 2019, 9:42 pm

Yeah the day I figured that out saved me a bunch of copying and pasting.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29358
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1452

Post by joachimt » February 2nd, 2019, 9:51 pm

This was very useful. I exported most of the forum polls and combined them with your help. That way I could match those with all movies currently on Netflix and Film1, two lists I update monthly. Filtering out what I already had seen resulted in a bunch of movies I just watchlisted on both sites. Very easy way to quickly compare almost 5000 titles with those two streaming services.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9515
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#1453

Post by Knaldskalle » February 2nd, 2019, 10:04 pm

OH right, they're csv's, I was thinking xls and that's a whole different can of worms.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29358
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1454

Post by joachimt » February 3rd, 2019, 7:56 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 10:04 pm
OH right, they're csv's, I was thinking xls and that's a whole different can of worms.
Yeah, I forgot to make the distinction. I always open csv's in Excel and they automatically change to columns without me doing anything, so in my head they are some sort of Excel-file, despite knowing they're not.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1455

Post by sol » February 3rd, 2019, 11:51 am

For anyone scouring this thread for news about when Marijn will fix the images for the new lists (many of them are currently broken), I have posted a message in the Official forum to draw his attention to the problem in case he is not aware. :)
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1456

Post by sol » February 4th, 2019, 9:45 am

Anybody know how often Marijn reads the "official" message boards over at iCM? I know he's a busy man, pretty much running the site himself. I am just curious at how long I should expect before I receive a response to my reported bug. :)

(it's approaching 36 hours now for those wondering)
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29358
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1457

Post by joachimt » February 4th, 2019, 10:16 am

It really varies. He has a job and kids, so don't count on an answer within a few days. It often helps to post "@Marijn", because he gets a notification in his mail that way. Don't use it too often though. In some cases the mods can help and most of us read the forum every day.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1458

Post by sol » February 4th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Yeah, I don't want to bug him with bugs (pun intended) since I know he's quite busy. Also, judging by the lack of "me too" comments, this is clearly more of an issue for me than others, so I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I don't need an image to know that I have earned an award; I just don't like the way my profile looks at the moment, though I guess I don't have it too bad considering what Fitz of Fury has to put up with every time that he looks at his dashboard! And yeah, I've asked Peaceful already (on another thread) and he's said that this is an issue that Marijn himself has to sort out. All in good time, I suppose. I'll give it a week then before I resort to pinging him more directly.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 597
Joined: Oct 01, 2018
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1459

Post by Tim2460 » February 4th, 2019, 3:58 pm

joachimt : on the subject of adding csv and playing with the result one of my friend made me an script (in ruby unfortunately) that could be very useful ...
i'll post about it on the scipt thread !

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1460

Post by sol » February 7th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Okay, so I have decided to do some investigating into what is up with the new awards images for iCM and why they aren't working

Looking at the source code...

Image

...it looks like the coding is entirely correct. That is to say, the code for 100 American Independents is the same as for the Thriller award. The only difference is that the link for the American Independents award comes up with a '404 Not Found' message.

Would I be right to then assume that the problem is with the file name? Maybe there is some typo in the filename, which is what is stopping the image from displaying.

I'm not an expert on coding, but does this make sense?

The Brozen images list for iCM comes up with a 403 Forbidden. Would the list-mods have access to check the filenames?
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22934
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1461

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » February 7th, 2019, 4:17 pm

No, anything in the code/on the server is not available to us. It could be the file name, but more likely either the permissions are set incorrectly or the image wasn't generated properly/at all. I don't know what Marijn's workflow is for that part, so I can't guess which it is.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1462

Post by sol » February 12th, 2019, 10:33 am

joachimt wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 10:16 am
It really varies. He has a job and kids, so don't count on an answer within a few days. It often helps to post "@Marijn", because he gets a notification in his mail that way. Don't use it too often though. In some cases the mods can help and most of us read the forum every day.
Oh, yeah - I see what you mean. It has been 9.5 days since I first reported the issue and 6 days since I used the @Marijn tag to ping him and with no acknowledgement or response, I'm kind of like "I should do that again", but then I'm like "no, this guy runs the site - don't tick him off since he has the power to terminate your account". :pinch:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 2811
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#1463

Post by Onderhond » February 12th, 2019, 11:50 am

It seems the filename is https://www.icheckmovies.com/images/ico ... endent.gif
Which is why it's giving a 404 on 100americanindependent.gif :)

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29358
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1464

Post by joachimt » March 4th, 2019, 10:37 am

What's the best way to convert a ts-file to MKV without reencoding? I already tried two pieces of software and some online converters, but I always run into max filesize restrictions.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9515
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#1465

Post by Knaldskalle » March 5th, 2019, 4:37 am

joachimt wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:37 am
What's the best way to convert a ts-file to MKV without reencoding? I already tried two pieces of software and some online converters, but I always run into max filesize restrictions.
First I'd confirm with "MediaInfo" what's inside the container (mpeg-2, right?). Then I'd use ffmpeg (or avconv, its sibling) to extract audio and video and stuff into an mkv container. It's command line but fairly simple:

ffmpeg -i input.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mkv

That's the simplest way of doing it, but assumes that the audio and video streams are suited for mkv (I'm not 100% sure what the limits are). You can also just output to "output.mpg" rather than .mkv if you want.

[Edit: If the audio and video streams aren't suitable for mkv, ffmpeg can also re-encode from one format to another. It's a powerful tool, but command line only, so you should definitely read the documentation before doing that. It's fairly straightforward most of the time, but there are a gazillion options so it can easily be overwhelming.]
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#1466

Post by Ebbywebby » March 5th, 2019, 8:32 am

I have two foreign-lang MPEG movies (directors: Fassbinder, Kieslowski) that are problematic because I can't get their separate subtitle files properly incorporated. Nothing to do but read the subtitles in a second window. Is there an easy way to convert these movies to AVI or MKV?

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9515
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#1467

Post by Knaldskalle » March 5th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 8:32 am
I have two foreign-lang MPEG movies (directors: Fassbinder, Kieslowski) that are problematic because I can't get their separate subtitle files properly incorporated. Nothing to do but read the subtitles in a second window. Is there an easy way to convert these movies to AVI or MKV?
VLC Media player can usually handle external subtitle files.

Other than that, it's ffmpeg like above. Try something like

ffmpg -i inputfile.mpg -i subtitlefile.srt -vcodec copy -acodec copy outputfile.mkv

If it isn't in .srt format, here's more on how to "burn" subs into the video, but it gets complicated real fast (depending on whether you use image-based or text-based subs and whether the default for your chosen container format is image- or text-based subs):

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/FFMPEG_ ... le_options
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29358
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1468

Post by joachimt » March 5th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 4:37 am
joachimt wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:37 am
What's the best way to convert a ts-file to MKV without reencoding? I already tried two pieces of software and some online converters, but I always run into max filesize restrictions.
First I'd confirm with "MediaInfo" what's inside the container (mpeg-2, right?). Then I'd use ffmpeg (or avconv, its sibling) to extract audio and video and stuff into an mkv container. It's command line but fairly simple:

ffmpeg -i input.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mkv

That's the simplest way of doing it, but assumes that the audio and video streams are suited for mkv (I'm not 100% sure what the limits are). You can also just output to "output.mpg" rather than .mkv if you want.

[Edit: If the audio and video streams aren't suitable for mkv, ffmpeg can also re-encode from one format to another. It's a powerful tool, but command line only, so you should definitely read the documentation before doing that. It's fairly straightforward most of the time, but there are a gazillion options so it can easily be overwhelming.]
Are these specs MKV suitable?
SpoilerShow
General
ID : 1 (0x1)
Complete name : D:\Archiveren naar backup\No subs\Место на серой треуголке AKA Azghyin ushtykzyn'azaby (1993).ts
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 1.33 GiB
Duration : 1 h 18 min
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 2 422 kb/s

Video
ID : 68 (0x44)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 1 h 18 min
Bit rate : 2 108 kb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Standard : Component
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan type, store method : Separated fields
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.203
Stream size : 1.16 GiB (87%)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.601 PAL
Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System B, BT.470 System G
Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
ID : 69 (0x45)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 2
Codec ID : 3
Duration : 1 h 18 min
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 108 MiB (8%)
Language : English
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 597
Joined: Oct 01, 2018
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1469

Post by Tim2460 » March 6th, 2019, 7:19 pm

As I see people using media info on that thread I have newbie questions. ;) I would like to add size, codec & resolution to my excel movie list. 90% of my films are mkvs but I've started to collect bluray and dvds isos lately... And media info can't handle theses if I understood correctly. Are there people who have batch extract info from their collection here? Csvs output would be the best for my needs... Need to talk e a look ar the sample templates...

User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 597
Joined: Oct 01, 2018
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1470

Post by Tim2460 » March 6th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 8:32 am
I have two foreign-lang MPEG movies (directors: Fassbinder, Kieslowski) that are problematic because I can't get their separate subtitle files properly incorporated. Nothing to do but read the subtitles in a second window. Is there an easy way to convert these movies to AVI or MKV?
I have used mkvmerge to tweak the soundtracks and was unable to embed subs... But it seems ffmpeg can do that quite easily... Got to try it as the subs files are easy to lost when moving movies...

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#1471

Post by Ebbywebby » March 6th, 2019, 9:46 pm

OK, I got the Kieslowski film to work with VLC Player. It was tricky, though...what I found was that I couldn't do much rewinding or jumping around, because the subtitles would take awhile to kick in after resuming the film. And because of this delay, I initially thought the subs didn't work. But the Fassbinder film (Wildwechsel/Jail Bait) doesn't seem to recognize the subtitle file at all.

User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 597
Joined: Oct 01, 2018
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1472

Post by Tim2460 » March 7th, 2019, 7:48 am

what format is the Sub Ebbywebby ?
.SRT ?

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#1473

Post by Ebbywebby » March 7th, 2019, 10:52 am

.srt, yes.

User avatar
funkybusiness
Donator
Posts: 10493
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Contact:

#1474

Post by funkybusiness » March 7th, 2019, 11:04 am

if you open the srt with a txt editor like notepad or notepad++, what does it look like? does it look like this?

Code: Select all

29
00:02:44,038 --> 00:02:46,874
Υeah, to Nagano.
How about you, Τaeko?

30
00:02:47,041 --> 00:02:48,083
I'm not sure.

31
00:02:48,209 --> 00:02:50,836
My Dad bought a summer place.
or are there a bunch of block characters, or gobbledygook? if it's the latter, it's an odd formating for an srt file that doesn't always work, so try and find one with the simpler formatting on opensubtitle.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29358
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1475

Post by joachimt » March 7th, 2019, 8:53 pm

My laptop lost network connection while I had a document open from my NAS. I saved it locally and restarted my laptop. When I tried copying the locally stored file to the NAS and replace the old version, it said the file on the NAS was still open in another program, so it couldn't be overwritten. I tried opening the file on the NAS, but then I get a message, saying it is already open by a user called "joachim" and I can open it in read-only mode. I'm logged in as "joachim" now as well of course.

How can I make my laptop realize this file isn't open anymore?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#1476

Post by Ebbywebby » March 7th, 2019, 9:29 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 11:04 am
if you open the srt with a txt editor like notepad or notepad++, what does it look like? does it look like this?

Code: Select all

29
00:02:44,038 --> 00:02:46,874
Υeah, to Nagano.
How about you, Τaeko?

30
00:02:47,041 --> 00:02:48,083
I'm not sure.

31
00:02:48,209 --> 00:02:50,836
My Dad bought a summer place.
or are there a bunch of block characters, or gobbledygook? if it's the latter, it's an odd formating for an srt file that doesn't always work, so try and find one with the simpler formatting on opensubtitle.
The text is as it should be..I know what you mean about gobbledygook, like what happens when the file is ".sub" instead.

User avatar
Tim2460
Posts: 597
Joined: Oct 01, 2018
Location: Dijon, France
Contact:

#1477

Post by Tim2460 » March 8th, 2019, 7:48 am

joachimt wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 8:53 pm
My laptop lost network connection while I had a document open from my NAS. I saved it locally and restarted my laptop. When I tried copying the locally stored file to the NAS and replace the old version, it said the file on the NAS was still open in another program, so it couldn't be overwritten. I tried opening the file on the NAS, but then I get a message, saying it is already open by a user called "joachim" and I can open it in read-only mode. I'm logged in as "joachim" now as well of course.

How can I make my laptop realize this file isn't open anymore?
It's the nas you need to make understand the file isn't open anymore Joachim ... It used to be but no more.

I guess the NAS OS will kill the open connection after a timeout of some sort... but if it's too boring you can just restart the NAS or try to tweak that file using the NAS interface itself ??

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29358
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1478

Post by joachimt » March 8th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Tim2460 wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 7:48 am
joachimt wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 8:53 pm
My laptop lost network connection while I had a document open from my NAS. I saved it locally and restarted my laptop. When I tried copying the locally stored file to the NAS and replace the old version, it said the file on the NAS was still open in another program, so it couldn't be overwritten. I tried opening the file on the NAS, but then I get a message, saying it is already open by a user called "joachim" and I can open it in read-only mode. I'm logged in as "joachim" now as well of course.

How can I make my laptop realize this file isn't open anymore?
It's the nas you need to make understand the file isn't open anymore Joachim ... It used to be but no more.

I guess the NAS OS will kill the open connection after a timeout of some sort... but if it's too boring you can just restart the NAS or try to tweak that file using the NAS interface itself ??
I slept and worked in the meantime and that was enough for a timeout. Problem solved.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29358
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1479

Post by joachimt » March 8th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 4:37 am
joachimt wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:37 am
What's the best way to convert a ts-file to MKV without reencoding? I already tried two pieces of software and some online converters, but I always run into max filesize restrictions.
First I'd confirm with "MediaInfo" what's inside the container (mpeg-2, right?). Then I'd use ffmpeg (or avconv, its sibling) to extract audio and video and stuff into an mkv container. It's command line but fairly simple:

ffmpeg -i input.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mkv

That's the simplest way of doing it, but assumes that the audio and video streams are suited for mkv (I'm not 100% sure what the limits are). You can also just output to "output.mpg" rather than .mkv if you want.

[Edit: If the audio and video streams aren't suitable for mkv, ffmpeg can also re-encode from one format to another. It's a powerful tool, but command line only, so you should definitely read the documentation before doing that. It's fairly straightforward most of the time, but there are a gazillion options so it can easily be overwhelming.]
I downloaded ffmpeg from the link you provided. I extracted all the files. But now I have no idea where to start. How do I even open this program?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9515
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#1480

Post by Knaldskalle » March 12th, 2019, 8:19 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 4:42 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 4:37 am
joachimt wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:37 am
What's the best way to convert a ts-file to MKV without reencoding? I already tried two pieces of software and some online converters, but I always run into max filesize restrictions.
First I'd confirm with "MediaInfo" what's inside the container (mpeg-2, right?). Then I'd use ffmpeg (or avconv, its sibling) to extract audio and video and stuff into an mkv container. It's command line but fairly simple:

ffmpeg -i input.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mkv

That's the simplest way of doing it, but assumes that the audio and video streams are suited for mkv (I'm not 100% sure what the limits are). You can also just output to "output.mpg" rather than .mkv if you want.

[Edit: If the audio and video streams aren't suitable for mkv, ffmpeg can also re-encode from one format to another. It's a powerful tool, but command line only, so you should definitely read the documentation before doing that. It's fairly straightforward most of the time, but there are a gazillion options so it can easily be overwhelming.]
I downloaded ffmpeg from the link you provided. I extracted all the files. But now I have no idea where to start. How do I even open this program?
Sorry to be so late in my reply, I've been ridiculously busy lately, haven't had a chance to get anything done at all.

You start the program by invoking it. To invoke the program you need to kill two fresh chickens and smear their blood all over your naked body while chanting "FFMPEG! FFMPEG!". ;)

Or you can open a command prompt in Windows and enter the line I gave above. To get a command prompt, open the start menu and write 'cmd' in the search bar, then right-click and select "run as administrator" from the drop-down menu. You can use PowerShell as well for this.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Post Reply