Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 5 released June 2nd)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1935 (Results), 1966 awards (Jun 9th), 2010s (Jun 30th)
Challenges: TSPDT, 1960s, China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
Film of the Week: Údolí vcel, July nominations (Jun 26th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A: Poland vs Mexico (Jun 4th), Match 2B: Tajikistan vs Italy (Jun 14th)

Technical Support

Tim2460

Re: Technical Support

Post by Tim2460 » January 23rd, 2020, 4:54 pm

So you'll change ISP anyway ? ;)

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 23rd, 2020, 5:12 pm

Tim2460 wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 4:54 pm
So you'll change ISP anyway ? ;)
Thinking about it. That wrong user glitch really scares me.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 14th, 2020, 7:07 pm

Does anybody know a way to export a list from Justwatch? I want all the 925 titles from this page in Excel:
https://www.justwatch.com/nl/provider/a ... deo/movies

Or is there a similar site that let's you export the search results of a VOD-service?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 14th, 2020, 9:45 pm

joachimt wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 7:07 pm
Does anybody know a way to export a list from Justwatch? I want all the 925 titles from this page in Excel:
https://www.justwatch.com/nl/provider/a ... deo/movies

Or is there a similar site that let's you export the search results of a VOD-service?
I've worked to find a way pretty hard on both Justwatch and Trakt (which uses Justwatch data), and haven't found a way yet. I also looked and failed at Reelgood in the past, though it's been a while there.

Depending on your purpose, I have a workaround, but likely not.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 15th, 2020, 7:35 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 9:45 pm
Depending on your purpose, I have a workaround, but likely not.
What do you mean by this?

My purpose is to check this list with the same list on MovieMeter:
https://www.moviemeter.nl/amazon/full
For a while movies are on that list, which are not on Dutch prime, but in other countries. I want to compare the two to find out which movies should be removed from the list on MM.
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 15th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Ah - yeah, I can't help with that.

My main purpose has been "which official checks are available on service X", which I've made a workaround for. I've done a few other related things, but nothing like what you're talking about.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 15th, 2020, 8:00 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 6:50 pm

My main purpose has been "which official checks are available on service X", which I've made a workaround for. I've done a few other related things, but nothing like what you're talking about.
That's exactly what I'm using the list on MM for. I export that every month (and other VODs as well) and create an iCM-list out of it. But since the MM-list has been flawed for a few months now, I want to figure it out, so they can fix it.
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 15th, 2020, 10:12 pm

joachimt wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 8:00 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 6:50 pm

That's exactly what I'm using the list on MM for. I export that every month (and other VODs as well) and create an iCM-list out of it. But since the MM-list has been flawed for a few months now, I want to figure it out, so they can fix it.
I've recreated the official lists I'm working on/interested in on Trakt.tv, which works off JustWatch data. This allows me to do 2 things: 1. Go to a specific list and see what's available on service XXX, or 2. do a search and I can see at a glance which films are official (because I'm only maintaining "Official" lists on trakt). Trakt will localize to the same countries as JustWatch, so it's a bit more globally relevant now.

I'm not saying that's the best option, but it's been working for me for a while.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 12th, 2020, 11:17 am

How do I get IMDB to display the title at the top of a film's page in a different language?

I have tried changing every fucking title display setting in the preferences, and it's still displaying the stupid romanized Japanese title (I'm in Japan) for a Georgian film. Something tells me the site is not respecting my preference settings.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 13th, 2020, 10:35 am

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » March 13th, 2020, 2:51 pm

hmmmm... try in incognito mode (Ie no extensions/plugins). also try logged out.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 14th, 2020, 12:04 am

blueboybob wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 2:51 pm
hmmmm... try in incognito mode (Ie no extensions/plugins). also try logged out.
Yeah tried all those. Also tried different browsers and devices, etc. Logged out definitely doesn't work because it detects country and language settings by IP.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » March 14th, 2020, 9:21 am

I'm really pissed but I don't remember how I solved that problem when I had to extract all the French titles for my excel file.
2 think rang a bell : could have used my old vpn account... But i doubt it. I think it was an firefox addon.
So... So I could help v
Your windows locale is? Kanji japanese?
What browser are you using?
And finally... With the in bloom example, what do you expect to get? The tittle in Kanji?
If there are a film that display right can you show me the screencap?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 14th, 2020, 9:41 am

At my settings it says "Original language" at the first and "Dutch" at the second. I always see original language. You selected USA, but there is not USA title for In Bloom. Have you tried setting it to original language?

Also, I use reference view.
ICM-profile

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 14th, 2020, 10:43 am

Tim2460 wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 9:21 am
I'm really pissed but I don't remember how I solved that problem when I had to extract all the French titles for my excel file.
2 think rang a bell : could have used my old vpn account... But i doubt it. I think it was an firefox addon.
So... So I could help v
Your windows locale is? Kanji japanese?
What browser are you using?
And finally... With the in bloom example, what do you expect to get? The tittle in Kanji?
If there are a film that display right can you show me the screencap?
Windows locale is US English.
I have tried this in Chrome, IE (edge & 11) Firefox all on latest available versions.

With my settings as they are I am expecting US English title "In Bloom".
I am never ever expecting any title in kanji from IMDB.

So far as I can tell, the only cases where I get US English title is when the film does NOT have a Japanese AKA title in IMDB.
I just tried another random title "Don't Look Now" which does display correctly, and has both romanized and kanji Japanese title in AKA.
So, I have no idea why some work and some do not.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » March 14th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Try something like that in Firefox :
http://techattitude.com/tips-tricks-and ... n-firefox/

For my French tittle grabbing, exporting the imdb never worked : I had to display the list and copy/paste 100 by hundred... For 22000 that's a little long :guns:

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » March 15th, 2020, 12:03 am

Tim2460 wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 2:32 pm
Try something like that in Firefox :
http://techattitude.com/tips-tricks-and ... n-firefox/

For my French tittle grabbing, exporting the imdb never worked : I had to display the list and copy/paste 100 by hundred... For 22000 that's a little long :guns:
Yeah, that is already set correctly. I think it's using geofencing by IP address.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 15th, 2020, 1:34 am

What do you get for this:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040522/

Don't look now might be because it's title is in English. If the above also works then it's because In Bloom only has a world-wide english title but no USA specific title.
No particular idea how to fix this, though.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 23rd, 2020, 3:16 pm

I recently had loads of problems with Plex Media Server on my Synology NAS, so I decided to reinstall it and start from scratch. I've added my music-folder as music-library and it's scanning the folder now. The albums are coming in at a speed of roughly 5 albums an hour. :blink:
So that way it will take over 400 hours, roughly 17 days, to create the whole library. :(
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 23rd, 2020, 3:38 pm

And it's even slowing down......
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 23rd, 2020, 4:56 pm

Speeding up now. No idea what's causing the change.
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 28th, 2020, 8:08 am

Here's the problem: I need to get some Quicken files from a computer I do not trust onto my own computer at home so I can work. (Short of buying a new computer to only use for this one task, I'm not really sure how to safely bring these files into my home network. Also, starting from scratch isn't really an option either.)

While I can start the task by scanning the work computer with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender and then use WeT to transfer the files and scan the received files upon dl on my home computer, is there a risk that a malicious payload could be packaged into the WeT transfer?

I absolutely don't trust doing this by USB thumb drive.

EDIT: guess this rather begs the question what's the risk of sharing non-executable files this way (via WeT, GDrive, Dropbox, etc)?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » March 28th, 2020, 11:48 am

Why not USB + Linux in a VM? worst case you fuck the VM.

And yes malicious code can be on WT of Drive or DB.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 28th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Yeah, I've thought about those as well, but 1) I don't have access to a Linux box and 2) would have to set all that up for this one-time task. And malicious payload being packed along with a WeT type transfer isn't the only problem I see with that method either. I've also read about updating the registry to disable any autoplay type features related to insertable/USB drives, but again, this isn't something I'm particularly skilled at and am not sure how much I'd trust myself to get it right.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » March 28th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Local library computer? Its shitty, but its not your computer...

or like a local fedex print

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 28th, 2020, 6:03 pm

How old is your computer? Windows 10 lets you do a windows VM if your computer is strong enough to run it.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 28th, 2020, 9:30 pm

I have both active Win 7 & 10 boxes with the 10 being more powerful.

There are no library computers these days, but I've decided to think about it some more (and see what you guys suggest). I do have my slightly dated Win 7 laptop that I might be able to use. I can double check that everything on it's expendable (just in case) but since I haven't booted it in a while, I'm thinking I already moved everything I care about from it to the newer desktop I got 14 months ago.

Some of the reading suggests just allowing the USB to sit for a week or two to allow the anti-virus/malware tools a chance to update, so if I do that, load a couple scanners, update them, unplug the laptop from the network, insert the thumb drive, and scan the computer (and added to the scans) then getting clean scans should be a good sign. Time also gives me a better chance of disabling autoplay for USB and a chance to test it. Don't believe Quicken files have been used as trojans; a quick search didn't pull up any red flags like, say, a macro laden xls file.

That plan seems somewhere between overly cautious to paranoid, so probably reasonably safe.

sol can find me here

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 30th, 2020, 6:34 pm

It's easy. Run something like a hash check on the file before uploading to WT and then check the downloaded file. If the hashes are identical the files are identical. The risk of malware with WT is pretty close to being theoretical only, people would raise the alarm the first time it happened.

Since you just need to check the integrity of the files before and after, you can make do with a simple check like sha1 or MD5: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=11533

Some of these tools have been "compromised", ie. it's possible for an attacker to alter a file in such a way that it still yields the same hash result, but at this point we're in tinfoil hat territory if you think that's a risk ("they" would have to know you were uploading it, grab the file, change it with malware and then make it look unaltered...).

EDIT: just re-read your post and realized that your concern is the original computer, not WT. You can still do file checks, while it's "on the machine" and after you've downloaded it from WT. If they're not identical, then something has been altered from the time you checked to the download, so it should still be a safeguard against malware - unless the file itself is already "infected" with malware when you do the first check.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 31st, 2020, 8:08 pm

Okay, so if I understand correctly, the possibility of a hidden file in WeT is next to nil. But that said, I'm not all that excited about transferring the data that way unless it's encrypted and I haven't needed to do that yet.

Tomorrow I will fire up the laptop I used to use extensively. Can't remember for certain, but I think the only issue was the screen was starting to get flaky if I didn't position it exactly right, but that isn't hard to work around (external monitor). I'm leaning towards using it as a sandbox to scan the USB thumb drive.

Given the nature of how the computer is used by other people, my greatest concern is that USB drives would be an obvious target of a worm. And honestly, I feel like I only know enough about this whole thing to be nervous and unsure how to declare that machine "safe" for transfer of files from it to a USB drive. (Also, there is the issue that a complete virus scan will take hours which means I have to be there do it. Long story, let's just leave it at that.)

sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 31st, 2020, 8:17 pm

This is all getting very confusing.
Is your concern that the file will get infected between the original computer and your computer? If so then as long as you use a trusted intermediary (wetransfer, google drive, onedrive, a secure email, a known clean USB drive) then the file is not going to get magically infected by a nefarious actor.

Is your concern that the file on the original computer could be infected? If so then transfer method doesn't matter. If the file is infected the infection will carry with it no matter how you transfer it. You'd have to actively clean it which would require knowing what the virus is.

If you trust the virus scan then you don't need a full virus scan, just scan the file.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 31st, 2020, 9:43 pm

xianjiro wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 8:08 pm
Okay, so if I understand correctly, the possibility of a hidden file in WeT is next to nil. But that said, I'm not all that excited about transferring the data that way unless it's encrypted and I haven't needed to do that yet.
Separate issue. There are various easy to use programs out there that'll happily encrypt whatever you want, be it whole drives or just a single file. You can install something like VeraCrypt, create an encrypted volume (it's similar to a "disk drive"), throw the file in the volume and upload the volume to Wetransfer. Then download it from there on the other machine, install VeraCrypt there as well, mount the volume, yank out the file. You can then delete the encrypted volume and uninstall VeraCrypt if you don't want it any longer. All you need to remember is the password to encrypt/decrypt the volume.

I'm not sure I can help much with the possibility of an already infected file, I always delete the entire file rather than try to remove the foreign contents from the legit contents.
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 6th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Not a technical request per se, but is anyone else having problems with Google properties? I can't connect to Google or Youtube, but all the "down detectors" claim everything's fine. Other sites work, but neither youtube.com nor google.com respond to my pings.

EDIT: Nevermind, everything just came back...
ImageImageImageImage

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » Today, 7:03 am

Not sure if this is possible, but... I have a column in Excel where each cell contains multiple values separated by a comma. I want to be able to highlight the first instance of each unique value (rather than the entire cell's contents) eg, cell has 'Mary, Joe, Bob' and I want only Bob to be highlighted as it's his first appearance. Any way to do this?
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » 50 minutes ago

I think you should separate the items into separate columns first. Then you might be able to set a formula as highlighting rule.
ICM-profile