Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

The Fruit Thread

72allinncallme
Donator

Re: The Fruit Thread

Post by 72allinncallme » August 13th, 2018, 4:53 pm

3eyes wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:24 pm
Cloudberries, yeah! (Do they grow in Canada/Alaska?)
I think they do, and yeah, they are delicious.

Edit (from wiki): In North America, cloudberries grow wild across Greenland, most of northern Canada, Alaska, northern Minnesota, New Hampshire, Maine and New York.

RBG

Post by RBG » August 13th, 2018, 6:47 pm

having avocado toast for lunch and i can report it is absolutely delicious. i used a regular multigrain bread for toast and rubbed a clove of garlic on it (cuz i love garlic); one small haas avocado, mashed with a lil bit of salt, makes two pieces :thumbsup: found many variations here: https://cookieandkate.com/2018/avocado-toast-recipe/
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » August 13th, 2018, 6:59 pm

re mighty's comment, is it comething about the texture? i have this reaction to coconut unfortunately
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 13th, 2018, 7:03 pm

sebby wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:15 am
funkybusiness wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 6:38 am
honeydew, like pretty much every other melon, is overrated.
You should be banned for this comment.

Re Dave's Killer Bread, travel back 10 years and try it. It's not the same as it used to be (like everything touching Portland amirite). I think Dave went cuckoo and lost control of the company, then the recipe changed a little. It's gone from, "Oh yesss I'm going to have a sit and eat this whole loaf of bread slice by slice" to "ehhhh it's not bad."

Strawberries are like neutron bombs for cancer cells. Put a couple dozen in your breakfast smoothie as you murmur to your vitamix GO FUUUUUCK YOURSELVES KETO CULTISTS.

It's fat drippy peach season. Love me a fat drippy peach.
Actually, it's more like Dave went cuckoo and lost control with a bunch of cops and was able to sell the company in spite of his legal troubles (which appear to have been dealt with).

The main change I've notice is the price of a loaf has almost doubled since the company was sold, but since I recently became allergic to wheat ...

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 14th, 2018, 12:05 am

The soursop was 1.07lb.

I ate the guava. It tasted like pear, but less sweet and less juicy. Maybe also a little bit like quince but I'm not sure (I ate quince a long time ago so I don't remember it well).

I also tried white apricot last week. I liked it better than regular apricot.

I can't remember if I've ever tried kumquat.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 14th, 2018, 5:10 am

RBG wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 6:59 pm
re mighty's comment, is it comething about the texture? i have this reaction to coconut unfortunately
Mostly, but I think there's something weird about the taste of it too. The whole thing is just... not right.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sebby

Post by sebby » August 14th, 2018, 6:06 am

xianjiro wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 7:03 pm
sebby wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:15 am
funkybusiness wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 6:38 am
honeydew, like pretty much every other melon, is overrated.
You should be banned for this comment.

Re Dave's Killer Bread, travel back 10 years and try it. It's not the same as it used to be (like everything touching Portland amirite). I think Dave went cuckoo and lost control of the company, then the recipe changed a little. It's gone from, "Oh yesss I'm going to have a sit and eat this whole loaf of bread slice by slice" to "ehhhh it's not bad."

Strawberries are like neutron bombs for cancer cells. Put a couple dozen in your breakfast smoothie as you murmur to your vitamix GO FUUUUUCK YOURSELVES KETO CULTISTS.

It's fat drippy peach season. Love me a fat drippy peach.
Actually, it's more like Dave went cuckoo and lost control with a bunch of cops and was able to sell the company in spite of his legal troubles (which appear to have been dealt with).

The main change I've notice is the price of a loaf has almost doubled since the company was sold, but since I recently became allergic to wheat ...
Yeah it used to be you could always find some variation of dkb for 2.50 or 3.00. the old blues bread was my favorite.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 14th, 2018, 11:06 pm

I ate part of the soursop. It was ok but not worth the $14. Even if it was $5 I don't think I would buy it again.

It was better than the cherimoya that I had recently, but not as good as the cherimoya that I had years ago. I think it was a little more stringy and sour than cherimoya, but not too sour.

The soursop and the (recent) cherimoya were less white inside compared to photos that I've seen online. Maybe they were either bad or overripe. I'm not sure.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 15th, 2018, 3:58 am

I tried to eat sugar cane today (it's not a fruit but I found it in the fruit section).

I don't recommend it. It's like stringy wood, but a little bit juicy and sweet. I threw out most of it. Luckily it wasn't expensive.

I bought red bananas. I ate them once a long time ago, but I don't remember what they taste like.

I also bought another cherimoya. It looks better than the last one I got, so I hope it'll taste better too.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 15th, 2018, 8:15 pm

I ate a red banana. It's similar to a yellow banana, but the taste and texture are a little different. It was better than the average yellow banana. It was also harder to peel.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 15th, 2018, 8:36 pm

I'd love to be able to try more banana varieties; the only things we get here are the usual big yellow ones, "apple" bananas which are smaller and also yellow, and the red ones, and the taste differences between the three are pretty minor - and of the course the apple and red ones are more expensive. Oh and we get plantains too which I love deep fried or sauteed with coconut.

I think I've had sugarcane also but don't really remember; I love caribbean food in general though (in fact I'm making a Jamaican curry now) and it's used in some recipes that I've wanted to try. I can imagine it not being very good raw if you didn't grow up on it so it hasn't been something I've thought about lately except to maybe cook with it.

Bought some green jackfruit in a can the other day for a curry also, curious to see how that turns out.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 16th, 2018, 1:58 am

I just ate a chayote. It looks a little like a pear. It tastes like jicama. It's a little less juicy than jicama. It also has a little bit of vegetable taste, but I'm having trouble thinking of which vegetable it's similar to.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 17th, 2018, 12:23 am

I just ate a Korean melon. I've eaten it before, but I didn't remember what it tasted like. It's similar to honeydew but a little more crunchy.

I also ate the cherimoya last night. It was better than the previous one, but not as good as the one I ate years ago.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 17th, 2018, 12:36 am

Do you guys have to go somewhere special to find these fruits because there’s so much stuff I’ve never heard of in these threads and they are not at my local supermarket...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 17th, 2018, 1:14 am

Try going to more supermarkets or farmers markets. Some have better selections than others.

I got most of the fruits from Whole Foods, but I got some from various other stores as well (Fairway, H Mart). I don't know which stores in Australia are good.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » August 17th, 2018, 1:17 am

I don't think I have mentioned in the thread yet, but I highly recommend yuzu as a citrus fruit.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 17th, 2018, 1:29 am

funkybusiness wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 7:02 am
oh and olives if you wanna count those. tomatoes are gross.
I don't like plain tomatoes very much, but tomatoes can be good when mixed with other things. My favorite soup is gazpacho soup (the main ingredient is tomato). There are also some curries with tomato that I like, but I don't remember what they're called. Guacamole with chopped tomato mixed in is also good.

I hate olives, but I like olive oil (I usually put olive oil and garlic on vegetables).

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 17th, 2018, 1:56 am

I'm just talking like raw tomatoes. some tomatoes, like big ol meaty heirloom tomatoes can be alright, but yer garden variety, squishy, mostly seeds and that puss stuff keeping the seeds together, let's put these fuckers on everything-type tomatoes are gross. but pretty much everything derived from tomatoes is great.

sebby

Post by sebby » August 17th, 2018, 5:30 am

I don't even consider those tomatoes bc they taste nothing like what tomatoes are supposed to taste like. few foods taste so far from home as the supermarket tomato.

the ones you grow in your yard or get from a farmers market are just divine. sun golds are probably my fave.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 18th, 2018, 2:36 am

I ate a Mexican guava. I think I've eaten this type of guava before because the taste was familiar. Compared to the larger guava, it's a little more sour. I think I liked it more than the larger guava, but it's harder to eat because of the seeds. There's just a thin layer on the outside with no seeds.

I also ate a prickly pear. It's very difficult to eat because of the seeds. I gave up after eating a small part of it. It tastes good, a little like watermelon, but I prefer watermelon.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 19th, 2018, 7:31 am

I ate longan today. It's similar to lychee, but I haven't eaten lychee recently, so I'm not sure which one I like more.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 20th, 2018, 12:54 am

I ate rambutan today. It's like longan but harder to eat. I was able to peel longan using only my hands. I had to cut the rambutan with a knife, then I could peel the rest with my hands.

The fruit is too tough and it's hard to get it off of the seed. When it does come off, a thin layer of seed comes with it, which doesn't taste good. I don't know if it's supposed to be like that or if I got a bad one, but I tried two and it happened with both of them.

I also got a sugar apple, which I'll eat in a couple of days (or whenever it's ripe).

RBG

Post by RBG » August 20th, 2018, 1:49 am

when are you starting in on strange vegetables mjf. i saw kohlrabi today and wondered what it is like.

also the cutest tiny squash. now i'm going to make a big salad. it's almost 7 pm and still very hot :sweat:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 20th, 2018, 3:00 am

If someone makes a vegetable thread, I might participate.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 20th, 2018, 5:18 am

RBG wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 1:49 am
when are you starting in on strange vegetables mjf. i saw kohlrabi today and wondered what it is like.

also the cutest tiny squash. now i'm going to make a big salad. it's almost 7 pm and still very hot :sweat:
Patisson, or pattypan squash. Funny, I ate it for the first time yesterday! Raw in the salad.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 21st, 2018, 10:07 am

I ate the sugar apple. It tastes similar to cherimoya but it has more seeds.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 21st, 2018, 10:18 am

I've ordered a cherimoya but still waiting for it
Longan arrived earlier but was just pure mold, bleh, thankfully they refunded it. I don't like those lychee types much, so whatever
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 24th, 2018, 5:02 pm

I received a cantaloupe but the bastards sent me a really green one. And the internet says it won't ripen.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 25th, 2018, 2:31 am

I ate raw plantain today. I've eaten cooked plantain before, but this was my first time eating raw plantain.

I tried two plantains because I was curious to see how the taste changes.

One plantain was completely black. It tasted like a banana, but maybe only half as sweet. The texture was mostly ok, but there were some little starchy pieces in it which I spit out. I'm not sure if that's normal or if I just didn't get a good one.

The other plantain was half yellow, half black. It tasted like a banana that was a little bit underripe.

Raw plantains aren't bad, but I think raw bananas are better. On the other hand, cooked plantains are pretty good.

I also got something called a "rollo banana" from an Indian supermarket. I can't find any information about this type of banana online. It's taking a long time to ripen (it's still green after 6 days).

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 25th, 2018, 5:49 am

Can't fathom why would you cook a plantain when you can just eat a raw banana. Can't a banana be cooked?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 25th, 2018, 7:49 am

People usually cook unripe plantains. They taste more like potato than banana, but they're a little sweeter than potatoe. Or maybe in between potato and banana, depending on how ripe the plantain is.

I'm not sure if I've ever eaten a cooked banana. They might get too soft if you cook them, so I'm not sure if you could use them the same way as cooked plantains.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » August 25th, 2018, 1:52 pm

You have probably had cooked banana in some dish like bananas foster, or maybe a delicious grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich a la Elvis Presley.

sebby

Post by sebby » August 25th, 2018, 10:10 pm

Look up tostones. That is why you cook plantains.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 25th, 2018, 11:17 pm

I've eaten fried plantain in a Mexican restaurant, but I don't think they called it tostones. I think they served it with chocolate sauce. It tasted good but I haven't eaten it recently.

More recently I've had cooked plantain (not fried) in a stew, where it was basically a potato substitute.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » September 6th, 2018, 12:09 am

I ate the rollo banana a couple of weeks ago. I didn't like it. It was too dry. I spit it out.

I ate mangosteen a few days ago. It was ok. The taste was maybe 20% tangerine, 20% lychee/longan. It didn't have a very strong taste. It's hard to cut it open, so it's not worth it.

I ate hami melon today. I liked it. It tastes a little like honeydew, but different. It's a type of cantaloupe, but I don't think it tasted like cantaloupe.

I saw monstera fruit today but I didn't buy it. The thought of eating a fruit which is poisonous when unripe scares me.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 6th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Got a local melon that looks odd like this (but normal size).
Gonna try next week.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » September 7th, 2018, 1:36 am

Do you know what it's called?

sebby

Post by sebby » September 7th, 2018, 3:00 am

I remember eating a santa claus melon that sort of looked like that. if i recall correctly it was incredibly sweet, beyond any melon i've ever had.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » September 10th, 2018, 5:41 pm

I just tried for the first time yellow Barhi dates. Apparently there are only a few varieties of dates that are eaten in the fresh, non-dried form, because most dates are very astringent and bitter before drying brings the sugars to the fore. This is the only kind I've seen around here and they're usually only available for a short period once a year - though they are very cheap, surprisingly. Anyway texture-wise it's much like an apple, or perhaps a fairly hard pear, and it's got something of a pear-apple flavor also though the date sweetness is apparent in the finish. Not amazing, but at 1.99 per pound - as opposed to the dried Medjool dates that I usually get which are 3x the price - I'd probably buy it with some regularity if it were more available.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » September 19th, 2018, 7:21 am

sebby wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 3:00 am
I remember eating a santa claus melon that sort of looked like that. if i recall correctly it was incredibly sweet, beyond any melon i've ever had.
I'm actually eating a piel del sapo right now (for the 1st time). Very sweet.

That weird melon tasted like a mild melon. I don't really care about melon sweetness and less sugar is good, so that worked well. Got a 2nd one too.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434