Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

The Fruit Thread

maxwelldeux
Donator

The Fruit Thread

Post by maxwelldeux » June 23rd, 2018, 5:42 pm

xianjiro on Jun 23 2018, 03:29:12 AM wrote:is it true rotten durian smells good?
FINALLY we're getting to the real questions on this board... :whistling:

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » June 26th, 2018, 7:58 pm

mightysparks on Oct 17 2013, 11:37:43 AM wrote:I also like pineapple, but not inserted violently into my rectum.
I'm guessing that Funky never read this thread, because this quote would fit perfectly in his signature. I'm not going to add it to mine, because it's getting quite big already and one quote per person is enough for me.

I like pretty much all fruits.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » June 26th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Lammetje on Jun 26 2018, 01:58:22 PM wrote:
mightysparks on Oct 17 2013, 11:37:43 AM wrote:I also like pineapple, but not inserted violently into my rectum.
I'm guessing that Funky never read this thread, because this quote would fit perfectly in his signature. I'm not going to add it to mine, because it's getting quite big already and one quote per person is enough for me.

I like pretty much all fruits.
idkwn! It could easily replace the current might quote. The pineapple express signature is much more ... :blink:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 30th, 2018, 5:15 pm

This guy's a trooper. Almost 300 fruit reviews and going strong.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 30th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Very cool. I don't think I'd heard of any of those, including pawpaw which actually grows almost locally. There must be YT videos of people reviewing absolutely anything you can think of by this point.
Here's to the fools who dream.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 30th, 2018, 5:47 pm

OldAle1 on Jun 30 2018, 11:33:37 AM wrote:Very cool. I don't think I'd heard of any of those, including pawpaw which actually grows almost locally. There must be YT videos of people reviewing absolutely anything you can think of by this point.
yep. I can't get any of these except a common Salak (doesnt taste like much) and some of the side-mentions like Cherimoya and a common purple Mangosteen.
Fruits are a rather obvious and useful thing to review, nothing weird about that.
Last edited by Armoreska on June 30th, 2018, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 30th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Yeah I've seen mangosteens and cherimoya, though I'm pretty sure I've never had the latter and don't remember the former. Getting more interested in trying the exotic stuff myself but of course even when I do find "new" stuff it's likely to be expensive (dragonfruits are usually around 8$ apiece for example, which probably works out to $15-20 a kilo, and most common fruits here are going to be between $2-6 a kilo) and not necessarily in the best of condition. Even something theoretically common that's grown in this country or Mexico, like the fig, doesn't show up often and frequently doesn't look worth buying when it does.

I'd definitely move to the tropics for fruit. Probably not many other good reasons unfortunately.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » June 30th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Where does he find these fruits? I haven't heard of most of them. I think durian is the only one that I've heard of.

Here's my top 11 (unranked):
Asian pear
Avocado
Banana
Blueberry
Cherimoya
Dragon fruit
Fig
Honeydew
Mango
Persimmon
Strawberry

I've only eaten cherimoya once, but it was good enough to make my top 10.

Edit: I forgot strawberry so I'll make it a top 11.
Last edited by mjf314 on June 30th, 2018, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 30th, 2018, 6:54 pm

OldAle1 on Jun 30 2018, 12:00:22 PM wrote:Yeah I've seen mangosteens and cherimoya, though I'm pretty sure I've never had the latter and don't remember the former. Getting more interested in trying the exotic stuff myself but of course even when I do find "new" stuff it's likely to be expensive (dragonfruits are usually around 8$ apiece for example, which probably works out to $15-20 a kilo, and most common fruits here are going to be between $2-6 a kilo) and not necessarily in the best of condition. Even something theoretically common that's grown in this country or Mexico, like the fig, doesn't show up often and frequently doesn't look worth buying when it does.

I'd definitely move to the tropics for fruit. Probably not many other good reasons unfortunately.
Ha. What I spent on 1 yellow dragon fruit, I could've bought 15 kilos of apples or 7 kilos of bananas or 2-3 pineapples.
It was 210 grams. But I guess the big, less sweet variety would be closer to half a kilo (cost the same).
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 30th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Yeah the ones I've seen here are pretty big. I'd have to find a dedicated fruit market in one of the bigger cities to even hope to find some of the fruit that guy mentions on the video; I've never seen durian for example, I'd probably have to go to one of the big markets in Chicago for stuff like that, a 2 hour drive each way.

sebby

Post by sebby » July 1st, 2018, 9:56 am

cherimoya are a little gift from the heavens.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 10th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Just had my first annonafruit, an overripe (black) sweetsop. Most sugary food I ever had. Barely finished half. :circle:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 11th, 2018, 6:47 am

mjf314 wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Here's my top 11 (unranked):
Asian pear
Cherimoya
Honeydew
I've got these left to go. All of them are available at various times, currently asian pears are available. How are they different from normal pears?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 11th, 2018, 7:14 am

Asian pears are similar to normal pears, but bigger and more spherical. I think the skin might be softer but I'm not sure. It's been years since I ate a normal pear so it's hard to remember.

Is honeydew rare where you live? Where I live they're easy to find.

I ate a cherimoya last week and it wasn't very good. The one that I had years ago was much better.

fori

Post by fori » August 11th, 2018, 7:28 am

Shout out to guavas, one of the greatest ever

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 11th, 2018, 8:24 am

I finally ordered a guava earlier. It's about $4.

Honeydews, i dont know, it's hard to say. Usually they're just sold as "melon".
A google search also brings up a lot of different looking varieties some of which look familiar.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » August 11th, 2018, 12:51 pm

I have not had cherimoya.

There was this crazy guy on a Japanese variety show called "Matsuko no shiranai sekai" a few years ago who only ate fruit for several years straight. Unfortunately I cannot find that video (Matsuko is popular and those videos get deleted regularly) but I find another show with a segment about the same guy:

Alas, it's in Japanese but some things they highlight:

1. Has not ingested anything but fruit for the past 7 years. Not even water, tea, etc. All his nutrition and hydration comes from fruit.

2. Has noticed "many abnormalities" in his body as a result. The one he points out is the loss of 70-80% of his body hair.

3. He recovers salt by eating pickled fruit skins made using a method called nukazuke.

RBG

Post by RBG » August 11th, 2018, 3:14 pm

do people of other countries enjoy avocado as much as we do :$ it is so versatile!

in other news, i had a peanut butter banana sandwich for breakfast. on raisin bread!
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 11th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Yeah I just eat it whole, then feel a bit bad lol. but it's hard to buy because they sometimes go bad before finishing to ripen, like the last one, and it aint cheap.
I think I need to wait until it ripens in the cool store temp before buying but then it's possible to miss it altogether and it's the next rock-hard batch.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

RBG

Post by RBG » August 11th, 2018, 3:30 pm

yeah i wondered how well it travels. some fruits don't. i put it on salads and sandwiches
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 11th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Avocado is one of my favorites. I usually eat it plain (I cut it open, then eat it with a spoon). Guacamole can be good too, but I don't like it when it's too spicy or too sour.

Speaking of sandwiches, do you have a favorite bread? My favorites are Genesis and Ezekiel.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » August 11th, 2018, 10:29 pm

I cannot believe nobody has mentioned avocado toast yet.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 11th, 2018, 10:35 pm

I like toast and I like avocado, but I've never eaten avocado toast. I usually put almond butter on my toast.

RBG

Post by RBG » August 11th, 2018, 11:31 pm

i've never had avocado toast either but i want to try it now~ will get some grainy bread mañana

i've seen that ezekiel bread but not tried, seems expensive. dave's killer bread was much seedier than i was prepared for!

i probs stick with oroweat 12 grain or oatnut
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 12th, 2018, 1:01 am

Dave's Killer is ok but I prefer Ezekiel and Genesis. If you don't like seeds you'll probably like Ezekiel more than Genesis, because Genesis has seeds.

I also like Alvarado St, which was my favorite before I discovered Ezekiel. I haven't tried Oroweat.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 12th, 2018, 1:18 am

I almost forgot to mention, I also tried yellow dragonfruit last week. I think I might like it more than white dragonfruit, but I'm not sure.

I also tried gooseberry. It was ok but I think I prefer blueberry.

I can't remember if I've ever tried guava. I'll try to look for it.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 12th, 2018, 1:37 am

Had both dark and green gooseberry for the first time this summer. Dark one is probably my favorite berry now, but it isn't consistently tasty. Maybe only some varieties are good. Blueberry is very stable and almost as good. But cost at least 4 times what gooseberry does.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 12th, 2018, 1:48 am

I think the gooseberries that I tried were orange, but I'll look for the other types.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » August 12th, 2018, 11:11 am

I picked and ate some gooseberries recently, they were not bad at all. :)
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » August 12th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Berries have been great this year though I've only had blue and black that were awesome. The strawberries had some good flavor, but I think the high heat was hard on the local crop. I wish I could get into the forest more - we have lots of native berries that while not as large as the hybrids we get through farmer's markets and such, they are quite wonderful. Salmonberries, Oregon grape and various goose and bosen are out there along with the horribly invasive Himalayan blackberry.

A friend grows grapes along his fence and I'm looking forward to them ripening. Each morning we walk by and once they ripen, I pick a bunch for brekkies.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 13th, 2018, 2:35 am

I just tried champagne grapes. They were nothing special. They're basically small grapes. I think I prefer normal-size grapes.

I also bought a guava and a soursop, which I'll be eating in the next couple of days.

RBG

Post by RBG » August 13th, 2018, 3:17 am

when i visited my mother in the east in june i picked and ate some wild raspberries. just like when i was a kid. i'd completely forgotten them :think:

has anyone had cloudberries. they apparently only grow in the tundra!

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 13th, 2018, 3:35 am

RBG wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 3:14 pm
do people of other countries enjoy avocado as much as we do :$ it is so versatile!

in other news, i had a peanut butter banana sandwich for breakfast. on raisin bread!
Avocado is pretty popular here, but I hate it. Every time I've had it, even without knowing, as soon as it touches my tongue I almost vomit. I have started using it in cooking (for brownies etc), since then I can't taste it lol.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 13th, 2018, 6:09 am

Heard about cloudberries, but they've not made way here.

Soursop costs $100!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 13th, 2018, 6:38 am

honeydew, like pretty much every other melon, is overrated.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 13th, 2018, 6:45 am

Armoreska wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 6:09 am
Soursop costs $100!
I paid $14 for mine.
funkybusiness wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 6:38 am
What are your favorite fruits?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 13th, 2018, 7:02 am

guava, mango, peach, kiwi, grapefruit, pineapple, pear, blackberry, pomegranate, banana. anything pitted, kinda sour (I know this does not describe everything in that list). any citrus is good. oh and olives if you wanna count those. tomatoes are gross.

sebby

Post by sebby » August 13th, 2018, 10:15 am

funkybusiness wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 6:38 am
You should be banned for this comment.

Re Dave's Killer Bread, travel back 10 years and try it. It's not the same as it used to be (like everything touching Portland amirite). I think Dave went cuckoo and lost control of the company, then the recipe changed a little. It's gone from, "Oh yesss I'm going to have a sit and eat this whole loaf of bread slice by slice" to "ehhhh it's not bad."

Strawberries are like neutron bombs for cancer cells. Put a couple dozen in your breakfast smoothie as you murmur to your vitamix GO FUUUUUCK YOURSELVES KETO CULTISTS.

It's fat drippy peach season. Love me a fat drippy peach.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 13th, 2018, 3:36 pm

mjf314 wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 6:45 am
Armoreska wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 6:09 am
Soursop costs $100!
I paid $14 for mine.
How much did it weigh?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 13th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Cloudberries, yeah! (Do they grow in Canada/Alaska?)
Black currants (and juice/jam)
Tart cherries, impossible to find anymore.
Haven't seen Concord grapes in a long time either.
Mulberries - not all that tasty as I recall, but they sure stain your clothes!

Dim childhood memories of kumquat and quince, but don't remember taste of either.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!