Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

The Fruit Thread

Armoreska

Re: The Fruit Thread

Post by Armoreska » January 8th, 2019, 11:53 am

Mostly a challenge to see if it's possible and a test of how bad it would be (pretty bad). Sure, it's pretty good nutritional value I suppose. I eat lemon with peel, that's fine, but of course always only a part of the fruit.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » January 8th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Armoreska wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 8:15 pm
I just had goldenberry (physalis). Pretty great. Is this common? I know I've seen its weird shell long ago. Finally put taste to the image.

Also tasted a green banana. Yeesh. Boiled it. Trashed it.
I gotta be honest, for me Physalis takes exactly like semen smells and so I've only eaten it once. See it occasionally added as a garnish on desserts in UK restaurants.

I'm not exactly a health conscious person, not that I think fruit is necessarily healthy (don't know how it's managed to share veg's rep), and I don't eat much fruit. However I did have a frozen banana for dessert last year for the first time and I thought it was amazing.

RBG

Post by RBG » January 8th, 2019, 2:35 pm

i don't think i've ever seen that goldenberry but the husk reminds me of tomatillos

and wikipedia tells me these are actually related. tomatillos v popular here

the most exotic thing i've got on hand atm is some pink lady apples tehe
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » January 8th, 2019, 6:30 pm

weirdboy wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 10:29 pm
I cannot believe nobody has mentioned avocado toast yet.
Best breakfast on the planet...

My top 2 fruits are the non-fruitlike fruits: avocado and tomato.
I also like strawberries, raspberries, and fresh pineapple. I'll eat other fruits, but most are not my thing. I'd take a vegetable over fruit almost any day of the week.

The worst creation on the globe however is not fruit, but artificial fruit flavor. Whoever invented green apple-flavored anything should be drawn and quartered.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 26th, 2019, 2:55 pm

I'm having another orange, and this one's peel is mostly fine, not nearly as acidic as that first time. I'll probably end up eating a Whole Orange again by the end of the day.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 26th, 2019, 4:53 pm

do you eat organic? citrus peels should be organic if eaten i think

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 26th, 2019, 9:30 pm

nimimerkillinen wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 4:53 pm
do you eat organic? citrus peels should be organic if eaten i think
Heh, of course not. I guess you're right. Best not to buy anything off season.
https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » March 31st, 2019, 3:41 am

Recently I've been trying various healthy dessert recipes, sweetened with fruit. Is anyone else into healthy desserts, and do you have any favorites?

So far I've tried:
Ice cream (frozen bananas, milk, and vanilla)
Brownies (bananas, almond butter, and cocoa powder)
Chocolate pudding (avocados, dates, bananas, milk, and cocoa powder)

(for those of you who are vegan, I guess the milk can be replaced with almond milk)

sebby

Post by sebby » March 31st, 2019, 7:53 am

you don't even need milk when making banana ice cream. i just blend ripe frozen bananas and coconut meat. delish.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 31st, 2019, 9:09 am

Ripe guava was great, but the seeds, well I swallowed them with water. If they dont digest, they'll help with it
I also tasted fresh dates, well they were soso
And it's not a part of any fruit but cinnamon bark sure tastes good.
mjf314 wrote:
March 31st, 2019, 3:41 am
(for those of you who are vegan, I guess the milk can be replaced with almond milk)
You should too, drinking that cow fluid is gross :whistling:
Last edited by Armoreska on March 31st, 2019, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » March 31st, 2019, 9:10 am

I tried without milk and it didn't blend very well, but maybe it depends on the type of blender. I only used a small amount of milk, about 1 tbsp per banana.

sebby

Post by sebby » March 31st, 2019, 9:13 am

Perhaps. I have a vitamix which just smushifies everything into creamy goodness.

Mate_cosido

Post by Mate_cosido » April 12th, 2019, 7:16 pm

I finally got to try an exotic fruit, at least exotic for these parts, it was a persimmon a.k.a kaki, it was very tasty, i liked it a lot, too expensive though, i probably won't be buying them a lot, but i'm glad i tried it

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 12th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Persimmons are expensive? There are lame astringent variations in winter here that are about as expensive as oranges. Sticking them in the freezer makes them edible. Still barely worth it for me.
And then there are good ones. Those are expensive indeed.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » April 12th, 2019, 8:30 pm

When they are in season, I literally have persimmons falling into my garden because the neighbors do not pick their trees.
Some years ago, I bought a fruit picker, so now I go out and harvest a bunch once a year. Then we eat lots of persimmons, and I use the remainder to make persimmon pies and persimmon butter.

I think the Fuyu persimmons are quite tasty.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 12th, 2019, 8:46 pm

weirdboy wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 8:30 pm
When they are in season, I literally have persimmons falling into my garden because the neighbors do not pick their trees.
Some years ago, I bought a fruit picker, so now I go out and harvest a bunch once a year. Then we eat lots of persimmons, and I use the remainder to make persimmon pies and persimmon butter.
Jeeealous (l)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 9th, 2019, 9:42 pm

I just bought a soursop - called a guanábana here; cost over $14 for just over a pound - $28.50 per kg for the metrically inclined - far and away the most expensive fruit I've ever bought if I'm recalling correctly, and I'm much more inclined to experimentation these days so I doubt I ever got something like this when I lived in Chicago and had more choices. Anyway I see a couple of comments here, just wondering if anybody knows how to tell when it's at it's ripest? I guess I'll google some more.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 9th, 2019, 9:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434