Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: Akage, June nominations (May 28th)

How to make friends

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

How to make friends

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

I feel out of place everywhere I go so I don't really care about it anymore. And this is without me saying what I watch and listen to. If people find out that the stuff I listen to can include dentist drills and women singing off key for 15 minutes, there will probably be some restraining orders on me.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

ArthurYanthar on Sep 19 2013, 07:49:21 PM wrote:I feel out of place everywhere I go so I don't really care about it anymore. And this is without me saying what I watch and listen to. If people find out that the stuff I listen to can include dentist drills and women singing off key for 15 minutes, there will probably be some restraining orders on me.
I met this really cool guy at a party a few days ago, he was an Russian Orthodox deacon actually, we talked movies for a while and I got him a KG invite. He really loved Gummo though... You would have liked him, Arthur.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Kasparius on Sep 19 2013, 07:55:18 PM wrote:
ArthurYanthar on Sep 19 2013, 07:49:21 PM wrote:I feel out of place everywhere I go so I don't really care about it anymore. And this is without me saying what I watch and listen to. If people find out that the stuff I listen to can include dentist drills and women singing off key for 15 minutes, there will probably be some restraining orders on me.
I met this really cool guy at a party a few days ago, he was an Russian Orthodox deacon actually, we talked movies for a while and I got him a KG invite. He really loved Gummo though... You would have liked him, Arthur.

I'm at this weird point where my taste is so weird but I think people that like the same things as I do are too weird for me. Met this harsh noise fan and was way too freaked out after a while.

About local's post and fairly off topic, that's my problem with computer games. It does seem to be male dominant which I have no beef with, but if a girl is into it everyone just yells OMFG A GIRL I WANNA FUCK YOU SO BADLY to the point that they scare her away.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

mightysparks on Sep 19 2013, 07:54:52 PM wrote:mostly because I prefer to play games with people I know rather than strangers.
Once you play with them they're no longer strangers and become people you know. :P
Spoiler: click to toggle
Or so I've been told many times
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

ArthurYanthar on Sep 19 2013, 08:00:15 PM wrote:

I'm at this weird point where my taste is so weird but I think people that like the same things as I do are too weird for me. Met this harsh noise fan and was way too freaked out after a while.

About local's post and fairly off topic, that's my problem with computer games. It does seem to be male dominant which I have no beef with, but if a girl is into it everyone just yells OMFG A GIRL I WANNA FUCK YOU SO BADLY to the point that they scare her away.
That's only because girls always go "OMFG I'M A GIRL AND I LIKE TO PLAY GAMESZZZ". I've been gaming online for 10 years and usually if I mention that I'm female, people think I'm lying :/
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

ArthurYanthar on Sep 19 2013, 08:00:15 PM wrote:

You and Mighty should start a "My taste is so weird/cool/different/interesting that I will never get along with anybody" group. tehe

Let me just give you this tiny little bit of advice from an older fool who was a younger fool. I used to believe in soul mates that shared the same taste, thought in unison, etc... (mostly because of bad movies and bad books, or good movies that are dishonest/utopic)

The truth is you can have friends or lovers without sharing any of the same tastes. Anyway chances are you will find something in common. Don't take the fact that this person doesn't like what you like as a deal breaker, that would be a big mistake.

I'm slightly buzzed right now, but I think this will still be sound advice in the morning.

Oh you can also meet people who are perfect on paper, share all your taste, but they will NOT be right for you.

Ok, off to the beer section...
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I don't think my taste is weird/different/cool :/ the reason I 'don't get along with anybody' is because I'm very shy and have trouble speaking to people. Add in the fact that I'm pretty happy on my own, it's not something I usually bother with. I don't really have any unusual interests and my taste in film and music is pretty normal, etc.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I remember something that made me quite mad when I was in game dev in the lab. One guy came in with his girlfriend and practically yelled "Hey guys! This is my girlfriend! :D"

I do agree with Kasparius' post. I remember meeting online a trans woman that pretty much had the same taste as me, but we didn't really have any of that chemistry. She was pretty into me but then we both agreed that we can't even talk to each other. I'm just concerned because I am quite into films, and my taste with that and especially music can be really out there. I assume with films it could just be like "I'll watch a movie or two tonight while you watch tv or do whatever you like to do. See you in a few hours". Only other problem I could think of is when I would blast my experimental music.

This is really getting off topic now, but it seems to be the standard for this forum :P And of course it's weird how I have these assumptions of what to do if I ever go into a relationship when a) I don't really care about it, at least atm and b) I've never been in one.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

ArthurYanthar on Sep 19 2013, 08:21:36 PM wrote: This is really getting off topic now, but it seems to be the standard for this forum :P And of course it's weird how I have these assumptions of what to do if I ever go into a relationship when a) I don't really care about it, at least atm and b) I've never been in one.
Man, I have over 100 different scenarios of what I'd do in case of a a zombie apocalypse - it's normally what keeps me up at night thinking - so it's not like your example is that unusual/unlikely :P

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

mightysparks on Sep 19 2013, 08:27:31 PM wrote:
ArthurYanthar on Sep 19 2013, 08:21:36 PM wrote: This is really getting off topic now, but it seems to be the standard for this forum :P And of course it's weird how I have these assumptions of what to do if I ever go into a relationship when a) I don't really care about it, at least atm and b) I've never been in one.
Man, I have over 100 different scenarios of what I'd do in case of a a zombie apocalypse - it's normally what keeps me up at night thinking - so it's not like your example is that unusual/unlikely :P
You should get in on a Zombie Apocalypse RPG, you would do pretty well I bet.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I would probably die within 3 minutes if a zombie apocalypse ever happens.
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 08:25:51 PM wrote:I see. They sound frighteningly time-consuming.
Some are, some aren't. Some can take HOURS (which, these days, we usually play over multiple nights after Burney Jr. retires -- these are few and far between), but many take an hour or less. Some of the card games take 20-30 minutes. We played Stone Age a few nights ago, and that was...shoot, maybe 60-90 minutes, making tea in the middle and taking a break.
Last edited by burneyfan on September 20th, 2013, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

ArthurYanthar on Sep 19 2013, 08:29:23 PM wrote:I would probably die within 3 minutes if a zombie apocalypse ever happens.
Yeah that's one of my many scenarios. I'm too unfit so would probably just get killed instantly. I'm also very clumsy so would probably fall over at some point... But my main hope is that I'd automatically go into 'this is a movie/game' mode and fecking pwn.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

I would get in The Last of Us mode and start cracking zombie necks!
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Also with the 'right person' convo, I more or less agree. It's like that 'ranking film criteria' thing. I mean you can say you want this, this and this and then it's a perfect film but that's not how it works. The people who I've been 'closest' friends with have generally been people with a few shared interests but then very contrasting other stuff. I also get along well with my dad - who is practically my twin - but we can only stand each other for short periods because we get on each others nerves. Although I would love an exact clone of me to have around, in terms of other people they need to be just a bit different.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Kasparius on Sep 19 2013, 08:09:26 PM wrote: Let me just give you this tiny little bit of advice from an older fool who was a younger fool. I used to believe in soul mates that shared the same taste, thought in unison, etc... (mostly because of bad movies and bad books, or good movies that are dishonest/utopic)

The truth is you can have friends or lovers without sharing any of the same tastes. Anyway chances are you will find something in common. Don't take the fact that this person doesn't like what you like as a deal breaker, that would be a big mistake.

Oh you can also meet people who are perfect on paper, share all your taste, but they will NOT be right for you.
Listen to this somewhat drunken man! You don't have to have the same tastes -- actually, if you're clones, that's quite boring, and believe me, I made the mistake of thinking that similar tastes "meant something" a ridiculous number of times -- do you know how many people with tastes nearly identical to mine are sadists and assholes and cases for the psych ward? Quite a few, I've learned! (No comment on me, of course... :whistling: )

It's the fundamentals and some small personality details that really matter, not whether he/she likes exactly the same music or books or movies or whatever.
Last edited by burneyfan on September 20th, 2013, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I don't even know why I like or dislike certain films... But at least that's one sided. Understanding why I like or dislike a person is confusing enough, but I have no idea how I end up with the friends that I do :D my best friend in high school had practically nothing in common with me, he was in the 'D' class and I was in 'A', he was loud and outgoing and social, I was quiet and shy and loner-y. We had been friends in early primary school and then met again years later and he was like 'I remember you' and I said 'yeah, your dog peed on me' and from then on we were inseparable friends. Totally bizarre.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Just mention piss and shit and mighty will be your friend
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

ArthurYanthar on Sep 19 2013, 08:58:19 PM wrote:Just mention piss and shit and mighty will be your friend
:(

(Btw I will clean up this thread tomorrow if no-one else does but I'm already in bed now).

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

mightysparks on Sep 19 2013, 09:02:13 PM wrote:
ArthurYanthar on Sep 19 2013, 08:58:19 PM wrote:Just mention piss and shit and mighty will be your friend
:(

(Btw I will clean up this thread tomorrow if no-one else does but I'm already in bed now).
(l) I was just starting to feel like "Awwww, it digressed..." (Not that I didn't do my part to make that happen.)
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

Personally, I think the thread can handle a little digression.

EDIT: Oops. Um, no, on second thought, make sure to clean it up tomorrow. :whistling:
Last edited by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on September 20th, 2013, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

mightysparks on Sep 19 2013, 08:12:48 PM wrote:I don't think my taste is weird/different/cool :/ the reason I 'don't get along with anybody' is because I'm very shy and have trouble speaking to people. Add in the fact that I'm pretty happy on my own, it's not something I usually bother with. I don't really have any unusual interests and my taste in film and music is pretty normal, etc.
Yes I would agree with this, many people like or prefer Horror or SciFi as you could see at the recent Film Festival

Its when you stop caring so much what people think what you say or do you become less shy funny enough, I know because I was like that myself
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

ArthurYanthar on Sep 19 2013, 08:29:23 PM wrote:I would probably die within 3 minutes if a zombie apocalypse ever happens.
Their conversation isn't that great either!
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 09:08:56 PM wrote:Personally, I think the thread can handle a little digression.

EDIT: Oops. Um, no, on second thought, make sure to clean it up tomorrow.
:unsure:

I made the original thread because I wanted to hear if people played board or card games. I certainly did my part contributing to the making friends / relationship chit-chat, and I'm happy if anyone enjoyed that part, but it wasn't really what I had in mind with the thread. I'm not trying to be anal about it -- God knows I digress all the time -- I just liked all the talk about games so much, since it's something I almost never talk about outside my house.

(The video games...not so much, as they're part of my distant, pre-parenting past -- even if my kids were grown and out of the house, I don't think I'd return to video gaming with people. I'd just read or travel more.)

I won't throw a fit if it all winds up back in the game thread, though. I just like seeing people talk about board and card games. :)
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 09:48:55 PM wrote:Yep, you started the topic, so it's your prerogative. Games it is.

Forgot to mention that I also love Scrabble, so long as I'm playing against someone ambitious, not someone who shuts the board down by making two- and three-letter words everywhere. :angry:
You are now trolling the How to make friends thread. You have five seconds to depart and report to the proper thread!

Kasparius on Sep 19 2013, 09:52:18 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 09:48:55 PM wrote:Yep, you started the topic, so it's your prerogative. Games it is.

Forgot to mention that I also love Scrabble, so long as I'm playing against someone ambitious, not someone who shuts the board down by making two- and three-letter words everywhere. :angry:
You are now trolling the How to make friends thread. You have five seconds to depart and report to the proper thread!
I typed all in the same thread. I can't help it if gremlins are moving my posts around!

Oh, and uh, friends are cool. I find it helps to meet them first. :shifty:
Last edited by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on September 20th, 2013, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 10:09:32 PM wrote:

I typed all in the same thread. I can't help it if gremlins are moving my posts around!

I split the threads long before you posted.

Also tell me how to meet them friends.
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

I like to have imaginary fights with my friends before I meet them. It lowers my expectations.
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Kasparius on Sep 19 2013, 10:13:37 PM wrote:
Kasparius on Sep 19 2013, 09:52:18 PM wrote:You are now trolling the How to make friends thread. You have five seconds to depart and report to the proper thread!

I like to have imaginary fights with my friends before I meet them. It lowers my expectations.
Is that why we get along quite swimmingly? I've already won, er... We've already had all the fights? Maybe one of these days I'll be like "BOO-yah...JLG's Maoist period is his best, so suck it!" and then the gates of hell will open. tehe
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

burneyfan on Sep 19 2013, 10:21:31 PM wrote:
Kasparius on Sep 19 2013, 10:13:37 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 10:09:32 PM wrote:I typed all in the same thread. I can't help it if gremlins are moving my posts around!

Is that why we get along quite swimmingly? I've already won, er... We've already had all the fights? Maybe one of these days I'll be like "BOO-yah...JLG's Maoist period is his best, so suck it!" and then the gates of hell will open. tehe
I think only El Cringo likes his Maoist period. Also I would have a VERY hard time believing you. :)

PeacefulAnarchy on Sep 19 2013, 10:13:05 PM wrote:
Kasparius on Sep 19 2013, 09:52:18 PM wrote:You are now trolling the How to make friends thread. You have five seconds to depart and report to the proper thread!

I split the threads long before you posted.

Also tell me how to meet them friends.
I came back to my computer and replied to the same screen; can't help it if you were being gremliny in the meantime. Didn't reply in no makey-friendy thread.

As for how, I find that a large "I NEED FRIENDS" button works like a veritable industrial-strength magnet.

Actually, the first episode of Cheburashka displays the friend-making process in clear detail. If you have never watched Cheburashka, you are not yet worthy of having friends, so therein might lie the problem.
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Kasparius on Sep 19 2013, 10:34:56 PM wrote:
burneyfan on Sep 19 2013, 10:21:31 PM wrote:
Kasparius on Sep 19 2013, 10:13:37 PM wrote:I like to have imaginary fights with my friends before I meet them. It lowers my expectations.
I think only El Cringo likes his Maoist period. Also I would have a VERY hard time believing you. :)
Particularly if I used the word "BOO-yah!" I doubt I could carry that one off convincingly. Besides, I'm like a '50s western guy -- my gunfightin' days are behind me...I just want to be a peaceful cowhand, unless goaded to my breaking point by violence and injustice (just go slamming my Fassbinder and see where it gets you, punk). :cowboy:
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 10:48:59 PM wrote:Actually, the first episode of Cheburashka displays the friend-making process in clear detail. If you have never watched Cheburashka, you are not yet worthy of having friends, so therein might lie the problem.
*I* have not watched any episode of Cheburashka (and don't know what it is). This could explain much! :o

burneyfan on Sep 19 2013, 10:54:30 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 10:48:59 PM wrote:Actually, the first episode of Cheburashka displays the friend-making process in clear detail. If you have never watched Cheburashka, you are not yet worthy of having friends, so therein might lie the problem.
*I* have not watched any episode of Cheburashka (and don't know what it is). This could explain much! :o
Jesus Christ. So many of pieces of the puzzle now falling into place at Fincher speed... :o
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

You're missing out!

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 10:55:59 PM wrote:
Jesus Christ. So many of pieces of the puzzle now falling into place at Fincher speed... :o
Several of the episodes available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOZpUDMj9t8

Make sure you are seated and strapped in.

Quite apropos: the first episode features Crocodile Gena playing chess against himself, until he decides he needs to find some friends. :hug:
Last edited by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on September 20th, 2013, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 11:06:43 PM wrote:Quite apropos: the first episode features Crocodile Gena playing chess against himself, until he decides he needs to find some friends. :hug:
I guess crocodiles had it hard back in the 60s. If he was living in the 2000s, he could've saved himself the trouble by playing chess online.

mjf314 on Sep 19 2013, 11:11:05 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 11:06:43 PM wrote:Quite apropos: the first episode features Crocodile Gena playing chess against himself, until he decides he needs to find some friends. :hug:
I guess crocodiles had it hard back in the 60s. If he was living in the 2000s, he could've saved himself the trouble by playing chess online.
And found friends online.

It never ceases to amuse me that Crocodile Gena "works" in the zoo from 9 to 5 "as the crocodile." :lol:
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 10:58:22 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Sep 19 2013, 10:55:59 PM wrote:
burneyfan on Sep 19 2013, 10:54:30 PM wrote:*I* have not watched any episode of Cheburashka (and don't know what it is). This could explain much! :o
Several of the episodes available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOZpUDMj9t8

Make sure you are seated and strapped in.
I will investigate (and I hope I won't be really, really sorry for doing so tehe ), but first I must finish Summer with Monika, which has been sitting paused while I gab and troubleshoot work stuff and e-mail people. (I've been working AND playing tonight.)