Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

Beer Enthusiasm

sebby

Beer Enthusiasm

Post by sebby » September 17th, 2013, 2:52 am

Surely I can't be the only one here that's *almost* as big a nerd for beer as movies.

Anyone else eschew Budweiser and similar swill and instead reach for a hoppy IPA, citrusy amber ale, creamy oatmeal stout, etc., whenever they get the hankering for a cold beverage?

Who's got some good microbrew recs for me?

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » September 17th, 2013, 2:58 am

My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » September 17th, 2013, 3:06 am

This is Mr. burneyfan's raison d'être. He wants to know what you like -- he just started running off the mouth about hoppy IPAs and double IPAs, and I'm basically transcribing -- no doubt he can get more specific or obscure if these are all ones where you're like "ho hum, been there, done that." He likes all of the Stone beers from San Diego (like Ruination), but you've probably had those. If you can get Dogfish Head, the 90- and 120-minute IPAs are good and hoppy. (He seems to think you can't get DH in Portland or the West...or wait...you're in Chicago, aren't you? -- I'd be surprised if you can't.) Victory Brewing company has a good hoppy IPA called Hop Wallop. and Victory's Hop Devil is a good single IPA. Great Divide and Southern Tier (both Colorado brewers?) do good hoppy double IPAs -- Hercules Double IPA and Unearthly Double IPA, respectively. If you want an IPA that will make your tongue curl, you should look for Stone Arrogant Bastard, but specifically the oaked kind, not the regular kind. If you can get across to Wisconsin, New Glarus Brewing is awesome at nearly everything, but they sell exclusively (or almost exclusively) in Wisconsin. He used to drive all the way to Milwaukee to get it, I think, but that was ten years ago, so maybe it's easier to get now. He says you need to wait for November to get Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale -- an IPA -- but it's worth it. Rogue Brutal Bitter is pretty good, too.

If you start getting him talking about Belgian beers, he will have me typing all night, I suspect.

He should just get a damn account here and post in this thread. (Not the movie threads, unless you want to hear him extol the virtues of Smokey and the Bandit and Real Genius.)

(For what it's worth, I'm a stout and porter girl.)

He assumes you're on BeerAdvocate.com?
Last edited by burneyfan on September 17th, 2013, 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

sebby

Post by sebby » September 17th, 2013, 3:30 am

Yeah, I'm in Chicago now. Dogfish Head 90-minute is my favorite IPA and maybe my favorite beer. Arrogant Bastard is a great one as well.

Various other favorites: Stone Ruination, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Bell's Two Hearted, Hop Stoopid (I drank so much of this in grad school -- 22oz bombers were only $2.49 at the convenience near my apt. in PDX), Boont Amber, Dale's Pale Ale (does anyone not absolutely love this? So drinkable). Had a Tallgrass Ethos IPA for the first time the other day and it was a real winner.

Some new breweries have popped up in Chicago since I've last lived here. The best, I think, is Revolution. Great IPA, some really nice pale ales, and a fantastic Oktoberfest which I happen to be drinking now :) Half Acre is another good one around here.

P.S. Raison d'etre is quite a tasty beer as well :cheers:

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » September 17th, 2013, 3:31 am

burneyfan on Sep 16 2013, 09:06:38 PM wrote:Not the movie threads, unless you want to hear him extol the virtues of Smokey and the Bandit
Is there anything I would enjoy more? I think not. A cinematic masterpiece.

I don't know if I'm joking. :/ Oh and beer thread? I'm outta here!

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » September 17th, 2013, 3:36 am

I hate Bud and the likes, but I'm no expert. As far as easily accessible, I like a very cold Sapporo.

I wouldn't mind getting an education. I do like beer.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » September 17th, 2013, 3:38 am

sebby on Sep 16 2013, 09:30:04 PM wrote:Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
:thumbsup: This is MY favorite.

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » September 17th, 2013, 4:08 am

burneyfan on Sep 16 2013, 09:38:11 PM wrote:
sebby on Sep 16 2013, 09:30:04 PM wrote:Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
:thumbsup: This is MY favorite.
My favorite, too, among Americans, but nothing beats Guinness in Ireland or thereabouts.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » September 17th, 2013, 4:51 am

My interests haven't expanded far beyond lagers but my dad often has Deuchars IPA. I wonder what you guys would think of it. It's made in Edinburgh.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » September 17th, 2013, 5:50 am

burneyfan on Sep 16 2013, 09:06:38 PM wrote:(...)
If you start getting him talking about Belgian beers, he will have me typing all night, I suspect.
(...)
Bring him on!
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 17th, 2013, 8:45 am

my beer knowledge is probably too local to be of much use. I'm more with burney in that I favour porters/stouts & darker beers in general over the hoppy/fruity stuff - though I drink that too :D . also very much like Belgian/German/Czech beers but they can be on the expensive side here. and I was impressed with US beers when I was over there too (Bukowski bar in Boston was my favourite bar I found for beer, also went to the Goose Island place in Chicago) & you see the craft beers over here a lot more now.

so most of the stuff I drink is cask ales which often won't make it outside UK but for recommendation, I guess Brewdog gets exported a lot of places now (you been to the Edinburgh Brewdog pub, Adam?) & that's much more similar to US craft beer than traditional British ales, which I know can sometimes be a bit more of an acquired taste. other breweries that tend to be pretty good, but I've no idea if you can get them: Thornbridge, Bath Ales, Meantime..Young's Double Chocolate Stout is great if you can get hold of it.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » September 17th, 2013, 9:06 am

I'm Bavarian. If I participate in this thread I won't get any more work done today.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » September 17th, 2013, 1:47 pm

metaller on Sep 17 2013, 03:06:08 AM wrote:I'm Bavarian. If I participate in this thread I won't get any more work done today.
You have the best beers!

HVM

Post by HVM » September 17th, 2013, 4:33 pm

:cheers: :cheers: :happy:
1918 - 100 - 2018

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » September 17th, 2013, 4:38 pm

I basically stopped drinking once I moved to the US, so my knowledge of all the new popular breweries is limited. But for what it's worth, Brooklyn Brewery makes a delicious Chocolate Stout. And although Guinness reigns supreme, I tend to get a headache from them (no, really), so I started drinking Murphy's Stout, which is an acceptable substitute.

I always though the Belgians had the best, or at least the biggest variety. Leffe Blond and Chimay are both lovely. I've never actually tried them but I would love to give both Delirium Tremens and Guillotine a shot, with names like those you have to try them.

"American style lagers" are not worth the water they take up (a tell-tale sign is that they have to be so cold you can't taste them before they're supposed to be drunk). IPA's? Not really my thing, this emphasis on the hops seems misguided. A beer stands or falls with the malt.

And, since I'm a Dane, I guess I have to promote Carlsberg at some level. Let it be known that they can actually make good beer, they just like to put it in wine bottles and call it Semper Ardens. I'm not sure they sell them outside Denmark.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

Eva_L

Post by Eva_L » September 17th, 2013, 4:42 pm

I love Delirium! And Chimay isn't bad either.

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » September 17th, 2013, 4:48 pm

I am one of those people.

I have a cellar for stuff I am aging, I have traveled to Belgium to visit breweries/bars, and do a lot of trips to the US to visit bars and attend events.

I find the beer sampling and film watching go together very well. :)

sebby

Post by sebby » September 17th, 2013, 4:48 pm

brokenface on Sep 17 2013, 02:45:43 AM wrote:Young's Double Chocolate Stout is great if you can get hold of it.
:thumbsup:

That one's very popular stateside.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » September 17th, 2013, 4:49 pm

brokenface on Sep 17 2013, 02:45:43 AM wrote:my beer knowledge is probably too local to be of much use. I'm more with burney in that I favour porters/stouts & darker beers in general over the hoppy/fruity stuff - though I drink that too :D . also very much like Belgian/German/Czech beers but they can be on the expensive side here. and I was impressed with US beers when I was over there too (Bukowski bar in Boston was my favourite bar I found for beer, also went to the Goose Island place in Chicago) & you see the craft beers over here a lot more now.

so most of the stuff I drink is cask ales which often won't make it outside UK but for recommendation, I guess Brewdog gets exported a lot of places now (you been to the Edinburgh Brewdog pub, Adam?) & that's much more similar to US craft beer than traditional British ales, which I know can sometimes be a bit more of an acquired taste. other breweries that tend to be pretty good, but I've no idea if you can get them: Thornbridge, Bath Ales, Meantime..Young's Double Chocolate Stout is great if you can get hold of it.
Been to Brewdog a couple of times. Slightly wasted on me as I haven't tasted a wide range of drinks but it was pretty cool. I had some kind of IPA there.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 17th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Guinness is rather over-rated in my opinion. I mean, I like it well enough, but the best thing about it is the fact you can get it in even the worst pubs which have no other decent beer (so you don't have to resort to Carlsberg or Fosters).

also Leffe Brune > Blond.

okay I'll stop with the mildly controversial beer opinions now ;)

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » September 17th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Guiness is the Bela Tarr of beers...

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 17th, 2013, 5:01 pm

sebby on Sep 17 2013, 10:48:35 AM wrote:
brokenface on Sep 17 2013, 02:45:43 AM wrote:Young's Double Chocolate Stout is great if you can get hold of it.

cool, I never really know what's exported and what's not..how about Wells Banana Bread Beer? much nicer than it might sound, though it's a bit of a novelty one you wouldn't wanna drink a whole lot of :D

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » September 17th, 2013, 5:03 pm

brokenface on Sep 17 2013, 10:58:51 AM wrote:Guinness is rather over-rated in my opinion. I mean, I like it well enough, but the best thing about it is the fact you can get it in even the worst pubs which have no other decent beer (so you don't have to resort to Carlsberg or Fosters).
Try it in Ireland. :happy:
ImageImageImageImage

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 17th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Knaldskalle on Sep 17 2013, 11:03:51 AM wrote:
brokenface on Sep 17 2013, 10:58:51 AM wrote:Guinness is rather over-rated in my opinion. I mean, I like it well enough, but the best thing about it is the fact you can get it in even the worst pubs which have no other decent beer (so you don't have to resort to Carlsberg or Fosters).
Try it in Ireland. :happy:
don't worry, I have :)

If any beer fan does go to Dublin, yes you gotta have Guinness (it's pretty much unavoidable!) but make sure you go to one of the Porterhouse bars too: http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/index.php

sebby

Post by sebby » September 17th, 2013, 5:27 pm

brokenface on Sep 17 2013, 11:01:47 AM wrote:
sebby on Sep 17 2013, 10:48:35 AM wrote:

cool, I never really know what's exported and what's not..how about Wells Banana Bread Beer? much nicer than it might sound, though it's a bit of a novelty one you wouldn't wanna drink a whole lot of :D
Haven't had that one. Honestly I might throw up if I did -- banana is a flavor that I wouldn't think mixes well at all with alcohol.

Kowry

Post by Kowry » September 17th, 2013, 5:41 pm

Finns drink lots of beer, but there isn't really any prestigious beer culture, though in recent years it's been on the rise and I'm pretty sure the availability of good beer as well as the amount of drinkable local beers is much better now than it was say, ten or even five years ago. But we don't have anything like the microbreweries in the US. I'm kinda lightweight beer enthusiast, I have a couple of friends who are much bigger ones. Alcohol in general is pretty expensive here, but especially good beer. If you are in a bar, you could expect paying somewhere around 7 euros or more if you want something else than your standard filtered lager. Regular markets can't sell beverages stronger than 4,7% which limits the selection quite a bit even in those places that have otherwise sufficiently good selection.

I like Belgian beers, I like IPAs, like a great deal more. Breweries like Brewdog, Flying Dog and Mikkeller are usually reliable.
Last edited by Kowry on September 18th, 2013, 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kowry

Post by Kowry » September 17th, 2013, 5:43 pm

sebby on Sep 17 2013, 11:27:36 AM wrote:
brokenface on Sep 17 2013, 11:01:47 AM wrote:
sebby on Sep 17 2013, 10:48:35 AM wrote: :thumbsup:

Haven't had that one. Honestly I might throw up if I did -- banana is a flavor that I wouldn't think mixes well at all with alcohol.
Weissbier usually have kinda banan-y flavor, at least for me :P

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » September 17th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Kasparius on Sep 17 2013, 07:47:23 AM wrote:
metaller on Sep 17 2013, 03:06:08 AM wrote:I'm Bavarian. If I participate in this thread I won't get any more work done today.
You have the best beers!
I'm not going to disagree here.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » September 17th, 2013, 6:13 pm

metaller on Sep 17 2013, 12:03:31 PM wrote:
You have the best beers!
And the best sausages and cakes....

HVM

Post by HVM » September 17th, 2013, 6:13 pm

You have the best beers!
I'm challenging you to a Bavaria vs. Bohemia show-down. Image :hmph:
1918 - 100 - 2018

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » September 17th, 2013, 6:22 pm

HVM on Sep 17 2013, 12:13:39 PM wrote:
Kasparius on Sep 17 2013, 07:47:23 AM wrote:You have the best beers!
That is a challenge I'd gladly participate in (and I'd need a week to recover afterwards).
Really love the Czech beers too. I was quite a fan of Gambrinus from about 15 years ago, but I have a feeling it just isn't as good anymore in recent years (or my taste has changed). And I'll always gladly take a Pilsner Urquell (Plzeňský Prazdroj?).

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » September 17th, 2013, 6:30 pm

Kasparius on Sep 17 2013, 12:13:04 PM wrote:
Kasparius on Sep 17 2013, 07:47:23 AM wrote:You have the best beers!
We have some fine sausages, and while we also have good deserts, our best sweets and cakes are actually either Bohemian or Austrian in origin.
But you can't be the best in everything, can you. ;)

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » September 17th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Kowry on Sep 17 2013, 11:43:17 AM wrote:
sebby on Sep 17 2013, 11:27:36 AM wrote:
brokenface on Sep 17 2013, 11:01:47 AM wrote:cool, I never really know what's exported and what's not..how about Wells Banana Bread Beer? much nicer than it might sound, though it's a bit of a novelty one you wouldn't wanna drink a whole lot of :D
Weissbier usually have kinda banan-y flavor, at least for me :P
Yes, most wheat beers have a distinct banana flavor. I like it.

[edit: The banana flavor is less distinct in "dark wheat" beers and, iirc, absent in "Berline Weisse", though I've only had that once.]
Last edited by Knaldskalle on September 17th, 2013, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » September 17th, 2013, 6:52 pm

metaller on Sep 17 2013, 12:22:51 PM wrote: And I'll always gladly take a Pilsner Urquell (Plzeňský Prazdroj?).
You can have mine, I've always found it to be a remarkably pedestrian beer. It's not bad, but given that it's the original pilsner type beer, I've always been disappointed in it.
ImageImageImageImage

sebby

Post by sebby » September 17th, 2013, 7:01 pm

metaller on Sep 17 2013, 12:30:31 PM wrote:
Kasparius on Sep 17 2013, 12:13:04 PM wrote:
metaller on Sep 17 2013, 12:03:31 PM wrote:I'm not going to disagree here.
We have some fine sausages, and while we also have good deserts, our best sweets and cakes are actually either Bohemian or Austrian in origin.
But you can't be the best in everything, can you. ;)
There is an Austrian bakery half a mile from my apartment -- everything there is amazing. Then again I've made friends with every bakery I've come across. Thankfully I don't get the urge to tickle my sweet tooth too often.

HVM

Post by HVM » September 17th, 2013, 7:07 pm

metaller on Sep 17 2013, 12:22:51 PM wrote:
HVM on Sep 17 2013, 12:13:39 PM wrote:
metaller on Sep 17 2013, 12:03:31 PM wrote:I'm not going to disagree here.
That is a challenge I'd gladly participate in (and I'd need a week to recover afterwards).
Really love the Czech beers too. I was quite a fan of Gambrinus from about 15 years ago, but I have a feeling it just isn't as good anymore in recent years (or my taste has changed). And I'll always gladly take a Pilsner Urquell (Plzeňský Prazdroj?).
Gambrinus,
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
which also has the dubious honour of being the last beer I didn't agree much with tehe
is often dissed as being an "Eurobeer" here... I'm glad you've since ammended your ways... :happy:

You've got Pilsner Urquell just right in Czech :thumbsup: but I must confess I don't drink beer this strong much. I prefer beer from North Bohemia -- Březňák (BTW, the bloke from the etiquette - Victor Cibich - is said to be the most portrayd Czech ever, two billion+ times) or from Prague (Staropramen, or Únětice when I go to a pub). Or Primátor (from my home town!) when I go for some really heavy stuff.

What Bavarian stuff should I look for the next time I go serious beer shopping?
Last edited by HVM on September 17th, 2013, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1918 - 100 - 2018

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » September 17th, 2013, 7:16 pm

You guys are killing me, I really want a cold one now...

HVM

Post by HVM » September 17th, 2013, 7:22 pm

Kasparius on Sep 17 2013, 01:16:24 PM wrote:You guys are killing me, I really want a cold one now...
I'd give you my last one (there goes the weight loss challenge I was really keen on participating in from September on)...
1918 - 100 - 2018

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » September 17th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Thanks, this reminds me of the Warsteiner in my fridge. :cheers:
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » September 17th, 2013, 7:32 pm

HVM on Sep 17 2013, 01:07:25 PM wrote:
metaller on Sep 17 2013, 12:22:51 PM wrote:
HVM on Sep 17 2013, 12:13:39 PM wrote:I'm challenging you to a Bavaria vs. Bohemia show-down. Image :hmph:
Gambrinus,
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
which also has the dubious honour of being the last beer I didn't agree much with tehe
is often dissed as being an "Eurobeer" here... I'm glad you've since ammended your ways... :happy:

You've got Pilsner Urquell just right in Czech :thumbsup: but I must confess I don't drink beer this strong much. I prefer beer from North Bohemia -- Březňák (BTW, the bloke from the etiquette - Victor Cibich - is said to be the most portrayd Czech ever, two billion+ times) or from Prague (Staropramen, or Únětice when I go to a pub). Or Primátor (from my home town!) when I go for some really hevy stuff.

What Bavarian stuff should I look for the next time I go serious beer shopping?
I think I had Primator and Staropramen during my pub and disco tours through Pilsen and Prague. But I drank everything there (also long drinks and cocktails, and they always are my ruin) as it was/is realtively cheap compared to our prices, so I don't remember too much if I especially liked them.

Considering our beers: From the big Bavarian breweries that are more easily accessible I recommend Augustiner if you are into lager types (our pale lagers which are my faves and they are close in flavor to the Gambrinus / Pilsener etc styles of beer) especially the bit stronger and fuller in taste "Edelstof". They also provide the best beer for the Oktoberfest ;) . For big Weissbier brewers I recommend Paulaner or Schneider.

Smaller favorites are Tergernheimer and especially Flötzinger in the very south and Kneitinger or Spital from my region (Oberpfalz aka Upper Palatinate). Naabecker is my very local brewery, but as it is a small brewery it is unlikely to see outside of a 50 km radius from my hometown.

There are some other beers that I would avoid: Löwenbräu has a bigger name, but tastes like horsepiss. Thurn & Taxis is even worse and therefore thankfully more regional. I actively avoid bars that serve T&T as their main beer. Franziskaner is the Weissbier with the widest distribution and like many things that are straightened for a mass market it tastes like nothing.

But in general we have lots and lots of small regional breweries, some are good, some are bad but most of them are quite fine and good enough. All nice enough to impress perhaps a foreigner, but I assume a Czech would know quite the same situation (and similar tasting beer) from his own country.
Last edited by metaller on September 17th, 2013, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.