Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

What's your job?

Kowry

Post by Kowry »

Congrats! I still have fresh memories of being unemployed without experience and it really sucked.
Last edited by Kowry on August 8th, 2013, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

ArthurYanthar on Aug 8 2013, 01:17:34 PM wrote:They still have to call my references but I most likely got a job :) I have an orientation to attend to at August 19th.
They're making a remake of Fox and His Friends?! :woot:
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Kasparius on Aug 8 2013, 01:32:37 PM wrote:
ArthurYanthar on Aug 8 2013, 01:17:34 PM wrote:They still have to call my references but I most likely got a job :) I have an orientation to attend to at August 19th.
I'm just sad that I'm gonna have to shave for this role :/
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
HVM

Post by HVM »

Kasparius on Aug 8 2013, 01:32:37 PM wrote:
biglol
1918 - 100 - 2018
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I have a job orientation on Monday. Should you dress up formally for it like I did for the interview? Also do you get paid for being there?
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Depends on the job..
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

ArthurYanthar on Aug 17 2013, 04:05:38 PM wrote:I have a job orientation on Monday. Should you dress up formally for it like I did for the interview? Also do you get paid for being there?
Unless you were given detailed dressing instructions, look professional and polished, and dress at the same level of formality that you did at your interview. If you expect to be on your feet the entire day, make it a priority to wear comfortable shoes. If you're not sure what to wear, ask the person who scheduled your orientation for advice.

You probably do get paid for it.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:
ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds »

My job is currently to finish a PhD in bioinformatics for which I've been designing new drugs and writing computer programs to automate the process. When I'm done I will start work in a synthetic biology lab designing new lifeforms.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I always wanted to work in a lab, but now I think I want to be a librarian or something :P I just want to sit and organise and file things all day.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

ChrisReynolds on Aug 18 2013, 03:23:39 PM wrote:My job is currently to finish a PhD in bioinformatics for which I've been designing new drugs and writing computer programs to automate the process. When I'm done I will start work in a synthetic biology lab designing new lifeforms.
Of course in a Horror film one of them would escape and cause havoc so take care! :lol:
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

Cippenham on Aug 18 2013, 03:26:50 PM wrote:
ChrisReynolds on Aug 18 2013, 03:23:39 PM wrote:My job is currently to finish a PhD in bioinformatics for which I've been designing new drugs and writing computer programs to automate the process. When I'm done I will start work in a synthetic biology lab designing new lifeforms.
Of course in a Horror film one of them would escape and cause havoc so take care! :lol:
Also, television! 2014!

Last edited by funkybusiness on August 18th, 2013, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Innocuous Bird

Post by Innocuous Bird »

Dock worker at FedEx with a degree in film..
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Right about to leave for my first day of work. Already very overwhelmed and nervous (and I wasn't at all for the interview and orientation), but still excited.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Good luck! try not to scare everyone by telling them your favourite music tends to involve Japanese men making unlistenable noise with household appliances :)
afirm

Post by afirm »

I work part-time as a research technician at the University of Life Sciences. I mostly work with sheeps and goats.

At the same time I'm taking a degree in Economics at the same university.
ErikSchierboom

Post by ErikSchierboom »

I work full-time (40 hours a week) as a programmer at the Radboud University. Working at a university feels similar to what afirm does as I often feel that the behaviour of the people here closely resembles that of sheeps and goats. And the occasional wolf.

In my spare time, well you know what I work on in my spare time ;)
afirm

Post by afirm »

ErikSchierboom on Sep 3 2013, 08:13:52 AM wrote:Working at a university feels similar to what afirm does as I often feel that the behaviour of the people here closely resembles that of sheeps and goats. And the occasional wolf.
:lol:
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

So much back pain :( I'm supposed to be working in this new burger place but it's under construction so for now I'm working at the back doing kitchen prep for the other places, mostly subway. Gotta cut the veggies, sort the meat, etc. I had to bend down the whole time (especially when we had to prepare like 600 subs for all the freshmen kids for some events) then I had to sort out the stockroom which meant like a 1 hour deadlift workout.
rohit

Post by rohit »

Perhaps this will explain my long absence. I am now in my first year of PhD in Educational Psychology and Educational Technology with focus on Impact of Films in Education and Cognitive Flexibility.
jvv
Donator

Post by jvv »

rohit on Sep 15 2013, 11:19:33 AM wrote:Perhaps this will explain my long absence. I am now in my first year of PhD in Educational Psychology and Educational Technology with focus on Impact of Films in Education and Cognitive Flexibility.
That sounds very interesting.

Any insights you can share?
rohit

Post by rohit »

jvv on Sep 15 2013, 11:22:16 AM wrote:
rohit on Sep 15 2013, 11:19:33 AM wrote:Perhaps this will explain my long absence. I am now in my first year of PhD in Educational Psychology and Educational Technology with focus on Impact of Films in Education and Cognitive Flexibility.

I can talk about how we are using films in cognitive flexibility. A good example would be my professor's research where he clipped off a scene from Citizen Kane where Kane explains how he wants his newspaper to be as important as the Gaslight. My professor made this 15 sec clip and taught 10 valuable lessons out of it which told different things about Kane, life in general, human behavior, etc.
And now all you have to do is just watch any frame/second of the clip and you can recall all the lessons you learnt.
Makes sense?
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

:wacko:

monty

Post by monty »

rohit on Sep 15 2013, 11:27:38 AM wrote:

I can talk about how we are using films in cognitive flexibility. A good example would be my professor's research where he clipped off a scene from Citizen Kane where Kane explains how he wants his newspaper to be as important as the Gaslight. My professor made this 15 sec clip and taught 10 valuable lessons out of it which told different things about Kane, life in general, human behavior, etc.
And now all you have to do is just watch any frame/second of the clip and you can recall all the lessons you learnt.
Makes sense?
I'm sitting here in awe.
jvv
Donator

Post by jvv »

Makes sense?
More or less.

But couldn't you do the same thing with a song or a poem or something like that instead of a film?

Also doesn't it depend more on the person who tells the lessons linked to the clip (and how he explains them) than to the clip itself?

EDIT : I mean the "boring" teacher vs. the "engaging" teacher in remembering the stories they told. I get that the clip is something of a trigger for those memories.
Last edited by jvv on September 15th, 2013, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

jvv on Sep 15 2013, 11:38:47 AM wrote:
jvv on Sep 15 2013, 11:22:16 AM wrote:That sounds very interesting.

Makes sense?
More or less.

But couldn't you do the same thing with a song or a poem or something like that instead of a film?

Also doesn't it depend more on the person who tells the lessons linked to the clip (and how he explains them) than to the clip itself?

EDIT : I mean the "boring" teacher vs. the "engaging" teacher in remembering the stories they told. I get that the clip is something of a trigger for those memories.
Or maybe a playing card, like the Queen of Diamonds, could be the trigger for the life lessons ... ;)

Conrats, Rohit, for the new program, and welcome back around these parts.
rohit

Post by rohit »

jvv on Sep 15 2013, 11:38:47 AM wrote:More or less.

Spot on. We do that with audio, text, popular cultural references and what not.
And yes, it is just a medium of teaching. It depends on the teacher in the end. My prof thinks this is the future.

FYI: He has seen a tons of movies too, obviously.
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

rohit on Sep 15 2013, 11:58:08 AM wrote: FYI: He has seen a tons of movies too, obviously.
ICM score?
Spoiler: click to toggle
tehe
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

So Delluc is also a brilliant teacher?
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
3rd

Post by 3rd »

Gershwin on Sep 15 2013, 12:11:07 PM wrote:So Delluc is also a brilliant teacher?
tehe
Neither a prude nor politically correct!
Minst sex års kritiskt granskande!

https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/3rd/
rohit

Post by rohit »

Kasparius on Sep 15 2013, 12:09:13 PM wrote:
rohit on Sep 15 2013, 11:58:08 AM wrote: FYI: He has seen a tons of movies too, obviously.
ICM score?
Spoiler: click to toggle
tehe
I'm guessing around #200
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Arthur you gotta go to the front line at subway but don't worry it'll be for 20 minutes tops. Then I end up having to work 2 hours overtime. I have some sort of rash on my right hand now, I'm worried.
mimurph1

Post by mimurph1 »

research engineer for the CDC
wedding photographer on weekends
father of two cats
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

mimurph1 on Sep 18 2013, 07:23:56 AM wrote:research engineer for the CDC
wedding photographer on weekends
father of two cats
does that make you a Catman. and a Hatman at weekends?
monty

Post by monty »

mimurph1 on Sep 18 2013, 07:23:56 AM wrote:father of two cats
Sounds like straight out of the Vogel list.
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

mimurph1 on Sep 18 2013, 07:23:56 AM wrote: father of two cats
Same here :cheers:
lampadatriste
Donator

Post by lampadatriste »

ArthurYanthar on Sep 17 2013, 08:10:57 PM wrote:I have some sort of rash on my right hand now, I'm worried.
That may be from washing your hands too often, gloves or heat. Try a skin regeneration cream for a week or so and see if it gets better.
I've been using gloves and dealing with archive images for the past months and got the same thing. The doctor said I need to wash my hands less often :lol: Nevermind that though, since you're preparing food
sennaho

Post by sennaho »

I have been doing some part time jobs the last two years, but have now taken the leap and I work as a full time Entertainer. I do magic shows for kids and adults with a lot of comedy, I do stand-up comedy, acting in theatre and tv/movies (haven't done anything big for tv/movie, just small commercials and the like) and I have also been juggling for 8 years. I have a home office and do a lot of email work the days I don't have performances.

I am very happy with my work, especially now when things are getting better and I get enough work to pay the bills and the mortgage!
jonas2k

Post by jonas2k »

afirm on Sep 3 2013, 06:59:29 AM wrote:I work part-time as a research technician at the University of Life Sciences. I mostly work with sheeps and goats.

At the same time I'm taking a degree in Economics at the same university.
I'm a student at the same university. Taking a degree in Geomatics so by June next year I will probably work as a surveyor.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

My nightmare happened today. I have to work an average of 1.5-2 hours of overtime a day and periodically do a 2 person job on my own because 2 people for the Extreme Pita station are gone, and I was meant to be a backup for all stations.

Cause of this I got a thank you note during the preshift meeting and I had to be the center of attention for the next few hours -_-

A female coworker is trying to make me read Harry Potter too, and because I'm so submissive I couldn't say no, even if I told her the movies are shit. Plus, she called Shakespeare pretentious :huh:
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

ArthurYanthar on Nov 20 2013, 09:57:04 PM wrote:My nightmare happened today. I have to work an average of 1.5-2 hours of overtime a day and periodically do a 2 person job on my own because 2 people for the Extreme Pita station are gone, and I was meant to be a backup for all stations.

Cause of this I got a thank you note during the preshift meeting and I had to be the center of attention for the next few hours -_-

A female coworker is trying to make me read Harry Potter too, and because I'm so submissive I couldn't say no, even if I told her the movies are shit. Plus, she called Shakespeare pretentious :huh:
In all fairness, the Harry Potter books are much better than the movies, which are definitely shit.