Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

The Weather Channel

mightysparks
Site Admin

Re: The Weather Channel

Post by mightysparks » December 22nd, 2018, 12:23 am

It’s been 36 degrees for the last 2 days and it’s gonna be 37 today. I hate summer :’(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » December 22nd, 2018, 5:33 am

Yes but there is apparently another polar Vortex in the stratosphere and very cold weather might result

https://weather.com/en-GB/unitedkingdom ... uary-beast

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 17th, 2019, 4:05 am

UK Outlook for Monday 21 Jan 2019 to Wednesday 30 Jan 2019:
Cold weather will predominate throughout and Monday will start with a widespread frost. Most places will probably be dry and bright during the day but rain showers are likely in the southeast at first. It will be windy in northwest Scotland, with blustery showers and further snow on hills. The showers may well spread further south and east on Tuesday. These are likely to bring hill snow to many areas, and perhaps some snow at low levels for a time. The timing of this is quite uncertain though. Unsettled and generally cold weather will continue, bringing rain, sleet and sometimes snow. Snow is possible anywhere but more likely over northern and eastern areas and over high ground. Overnight frosts remain likely.

UK Outlook for Thursday 31 Jan 2019 to Thursday 14 Feb 2019:
Cold and sometimes very cold weather will still be in place for the extended outlook. It will be changeable though, especially at first, with spells of strong winds and rain, turning to snow at times. Overnight frosts will be common and widespread. Snow will mainly affect higher ground in the north, but there will be a higher risk than usual of snow at lower levels, even in the south. The details of any disruptive snow remains uncertain. With easterly winds predominating, the driest and brightest weather is likely in the northwest. Short milder and wetter interludes are possible too, most likely in the south, but with these comes an increased risk of snow and ice further north.

Brr what a cold outlook!

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 17th, 2019, 4:34 am

We're looking at a 40 degree weekend, screw you guys and your amazing weather :hmph:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 17th, 2019, 5:25 am

That polar vortex may finally bite yes

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » January 30th, 2019, 8:32 pm

So here in the midwestern USA, we have a record or near-record cold snap. Madison WI, the nearest particularly large city and the place I watch the TV forecasts from, is projecting at least the small possibility of hitting the all-time record low early in the next morning's hours, which would be -37 F, with wind chills conceivably hitting -55 to -60. And we have almost a foot of snow; this is the first "real" winter weather, like what I remember as a kid, since I've been back here for the past 5 1/2 years; 2013-4 was very cold but we didn't have much snow on the ground at any time. I went outside about an hour ago and while it's quite bright and sunny after about 3 minutes my face was feeling numb and I couldn't breathe. Thankfully I don't actually have to go out anymore today and maybe not tomorrow, and Friday when I do the temp will be back up to reasonable for the season - just a little below freezing. Brrrrr!

RBG

Post by RBG » January 30th, 2019, 8:39 pm

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH GLOBAL WARMING? COME BACK FAST, WE NEED YOU! (D:)

-- DJTrump
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 30th, 2019, 8:56 pm

It was always an invention and is now a religion, this as a massive polar vortex hits the US. It was invented by the CIA apparently. and Snowden , great name, could prove it, it was invented to stop people being scared of other things like nuclear weapons, they gave millions to scientists who could prove it so they invented the evidence to get the cash, all the data to prove it exists is fake. It’s no laughing matter. It’s not me who says this but Edward Snowden and he says he has got documents to prove it.

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/edward ... f-the-cia/

Yes this is a joke :rolleyes: :lol:
Last edited by Cippenham on January 30th, 2019, 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RBG

Post by RBG » January 30th, 2019, 8:58 pm

:lol:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 30th, 2019, 8:59 pm

It's probably the warmest winter of all time here. The worst we had was -8 sometime in the last few weeks, and now it's +8.

The 2nd worst day was -6, also it was very unstable with temperature changing from day to day, going from freezing to melting.
Last edited by Armoreska on January 30th, 2019, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 30th, 2019, 9:01 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 8:32 pm
So here in the midwestern USA, we have a record or near-record cold snap. Madison WI, the nearest particularly large city and the place I watch the TV forecasts from, is projecting at least the small possibility of hitting the all-time record low early in the next morning's hours, which would be -37 F, with wind chills conceivably hitting -55 to -60. And we have almost a foot of snow; this is the first "real" winter weather, like what I remember as a kid, since I've been back here for the past 5 1/2 years; 2013-4 was very cold but we didn't have much snow on the ground at any time. I went outside about an hour ago and while it's quite bright and sunny after about 3 minutes my face was feeling numb and I couldn't breathe. Thankfully I don't actually have to go out anymore today and maybe not tomorrow, and Friday when I do the temp will be back up to reasonable for the season - just a little below freezing. Brrrrr!
I can't say I miss it. I walked to school a few times in the -15F to -20F range, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do that with temps and wind chills like that. I'm sure I've said it before, but my favorite part about going to school in Minneapolis was watching my friends from the South learn to deal with the weather and the temps. It was really funny seeing people bundled up at 30F, knowing that that's only sweatshirt weather. Now, I'm thankful for the Pacific Northwest and will happily take my 48F high for the day.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » January 30th, 2019, 9:05 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 8:32 pm
Man. When I lived in Madison (50s-60s] we could count on 2 wks of -20 and at least a day of -30, but I don't recall it ever getting lower. (they didn't have wind chill/real feel figures back then.) +20 in Feb was tropical.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 30th, 2019, 9:06 pm

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 30th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Cippenham wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 8:56 pm
It was always an invention and is now a religion, this as a massive polar vortex hits the US. It was invented by the CIA apparently. and Snowden , great name, could prove it, it was invented to stop people being scared of other things like nuclear weapons, they gave millions to scientists who could prove it so they invented the evidence to get the cash, all the data to prove it exists is fake. It’s no laughing matter. It’s not me who says this but Edward Snowden and he says he has got documents to prove it.

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/edward ... f-the-cia/

Yes this is a joke :rolleyes: :lol:
Erm, your "source", Cipp: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_News_Daily_Report

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 30th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Even though there is so much fake news including about the weather even so sometimes there is truth in humour.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 30th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Fake news exactly

RBG

Post by RBG » January 31st, 2019, 2:26 pm

:/ It's 9 F here. This is bullshit . Is it even safe to go outside? I have no relevant experience
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » January 31st, 2019, 2:46 pm

That's -13 C. Not too bad. Unless you're in Florida I guess.

What does below 0 F mean? That's -18 C. Anything negative, and work is cancelled?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » January 31st, 2019, 3:02 pm

RBG wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 2:26 pm
:/ It's 9 F here. This is bullshit . Is it even safe to go outside? I have no relevant experience
Sure, just bundle up a lot, wear gloves, cover your head/ears, etc. But obviously minimize the time spent outside, lol. It was 5 degrees Fahrenheit in my area when I left for work this morning. OldAle and any other Midwesterners here have it way worse than either of us, though. I'm just happy my car started up OK. :thumbsup:
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » January 31st, 2019, 4:37 pm

Coming to Philly from Oslo (which was tropical compared to Wisconsin, though the snow tended to be a tad excessive) it took some getting used to how when the temp got down to 50F/10C the natives would go around saying, "is it cold enough for you?" And the postman would bravely slog through the ankle-deep snowdrifts. In Norway I wore cleats on my boots but that doesn't work on ice here because there's too much bare sidewalk. But now after 45+ years I'm acclimatized and will stay inside today unless I go to the corner mailbox. My daughter's school in the burbs is closed, and who knows if public transit is running.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

RBG

Post by RBG » January 31st, 2019, 9:29 pm

Good news: I lived
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 31st, 2019, 9:35 pm

It's not the worst winter in Belgium. We have for the second time snow... Not a good one either, just about average or a below average but not terrible winter.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 2nd, 2019, 8:06 am

RBG wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 8:39 pm
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH GLOBAL WARMING? COME BACK FAST, WE NEED YOU! (D:)

-- DJTrump
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -explained
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 2nd, 2019, 1:14 pm

It’s Groundhog Day, I just saw the live broadcast and Phil predicts an early spring. It’s the first time I saw it live but I think I saw it before somewhere😃

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 2nd, 2019, 2:29 pm

Ugh I’m always so jealous of everyone’s winters. They’re all so exciting and snowy and cool. Though I start to rug up when it starts to hit below 20 C so I would probably die in some of your areas.

RBG

Post by RBG » February 2nd, 2019, 2:54 pm

Today I ventured out to drive in the snow as I got stuff to do. I...didn't know you have to clear all the snow off your hood or it blows onto the windshield :lol: good news: I wasn't killed
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 2nd, 2019, 4:33 pm

We had snow on Thursday even on the south coast , some places has up to 19 cm and they had snow in London and south east yesterday. You have to clear off snow completely off the car, even the roof, police stop people just clearing a bit off the windscreen.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 2nd, 2019, 4:37 pm

American English translation windshield, I say windscreen, you say hood I say bonnet.

RBG

Post by RBG » February 4th, 2019, 11:56 am

https://goo.gl/A1e6Y7

Colonisation of the Americas killed so many people it disturbed the earth 's climate
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 5th, 2019, 9:13 am

It was manifest destiny

RBG

Post by RBG » February 5th, 2019, 1:52 pm

I'm sure that passes for humor in the alt-right world
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » February 5th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Last week it was 9F now it's 69F :blink:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » February 5th, 2019, 8:39 pm

RBG wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 7:48 pm
Last week it was 9F now it's 69F :blink:
Fear not the pundits seem to think another vortex is coming in around 2 weeks.
In southern New England the spring like weather is fantabulous though! I'll take it! :thumbsup:

RBG

Post by RBG » February 5th, 2019, 9:04 pm

B) I'll be back in my desert abode where this kind of thing is normal this time of year!!
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 5th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Meanwhile in the Pacific Northwest... our pleasant winter weather of mid-40s F had turned to 8-12 inches of snow and single digit temps. I've lived this side of the state nearly five years now and haven't seen snow like this.

Fortunately, I work from home.

max-scl

Post by max-scl » February 5th, 2019, 10:05 pm

We're having record breaking temperatures here (38° this past week), some experts are saying in central Chile we're rapidly moving from a temperate climate to full desertic one, and today there is 30°in Tierra del Fuego! (the southernmost part of the country)

albajos

Post by albajos » February 16th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Hurricane (actually a bit more powerful than a hurricane, but there are no more labels for it) in Norway right now. (80 knots)

This is not normal. We seldom get anything else than full storms. (which we usually get once a year, around new year)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » February 16th, 2019, 4:56 pm

albajos wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 12:31 pm
Hurricane (actually a bit more powerful than a hurricane, but there are no more labels for it) in Norway right now. (80 knots)

This is not normal. We seldom get anything else than full storms. (which we usually get once a year, around new year)
That's crazy - weather is screwed up everywhere. That sounds a bit like a derecho. I once had food insurance because one of those monstrously powerful windstorms hit the area I moved to, and people lost power for so long they lost all their foods. Apparently, people were grilling hundreds of pounds of meat and feeding the neighborhood because they were going to lose it all.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » February 16th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Clearly we're having a global cooling problem. Everybody please, if you want to save this planet go chop or burn down a forest, and start buying extra gasoline and burning it wherever you can. Earth is depending on us, burn baby burn, drill baby drill...

(on a side and serious note, I'm pissed that our winter continues to be harsh, prevented me from going to see the longer cut of Margaret in the cinema on Tuesday. Grrr...)

RBG

Post by RBG » February 19th, 2019, 7:01 pm

view from my desert home this morning. there's another snow shower happening now, it's very granular, like small styrofoam balls :turned:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS