Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)
World Cup S4: Manager sign-up

The Weather Channel

Cippenham
Donator

The Weather Channel

Post by Cippenham » December 4th, 2016, 3:48 pm

Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » January 7th, 2017, 11:56 am

The temperature dropped below -20 °C here. :o North Texas is also coping with wintry conditions.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 7th, 2017, 9:06 pm

yeah, and we're battened down for the third major winter storm in a month - you know all that rain they are forecasting for California? Well some of it will be coming north but our temps are still below freezing. We should get a inch or two of snow - no problem - but then the warm tropical air aloft (from Hawai'i) will drop precipitation onto that damn cold Arctic/Canadian airmass near the ground and we'll get freezing rain! It's the best. We've been warned to prepare for multi-day power outages. Fun - fun - fun!

now seems like a great time for Bondi meetup

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 8th, 2017, 4:57 pm

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 8th, 2017, 8:14 pm

what a mess out there! at least it's just above freezing where I live, but I hear it's really horrific on the eastside of town (close to the Gorge) - we didn't get much snow yesterday, I'd say less than a quarter of an inch where I'm at, and there's only a layer of ice covering everything, but it's very, very slick. Just rain is falling at this point, but it's puddling everywhere. So that's standing water on a layer of ice on a layer of snow. Thank god it's a Sunday though I'm guessing tomorrow will still be a mess out east. Buddy was supposed to fly to Chicago today. On Friday I told him to try and get out on Saturday. Not sure if he did, but it's unlikely he could even get to the airport this morning (eastside of town). Will be interesting to see how much is washed away by tomorrow - I'm betting it will still be a mess.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 8th, 2017, 8:25 pm

xianjiro on Jan 8 2017, 01:14:37 PM wrote:what a mess out there! at least it's just above freezing where I live, but I hear it's really horrific on the eastside of town (close to the Gorge) - we didn't get much snow yesterday, I'd say less than a quarter of an inch where I'm at, and there's only a layer of ice covering everything, but it's very, very slick. Just rain is falling at this point, but it's puddling everywhere. So that's standing water on a layer of ice on a layer of snow. Thank god it's a Sunday though I'm guessing tomorrow will still be a mess out east. Buddy was supposed to fly to Chicago today. On Friday I told him to try and get out on Saturday. Not sure if he did, but it's unlikely he could even get to the airport this morning (eastside of town). Will be interesting to see how much is washed away by tomorrow - I'm betting it will still be a mess.
That's too bad, mild here but may be changing to cold next weekend.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 11th, 2017, 10:23 am

So, now it's Winter Storm #4 - in just over a month - and the body count is also 4 (due to exposure). I don't think they were near as ready for this one, the snow is wet and very heavy and we're well above the total predicted snowfall for the storm and the precipitation window will be open another 12 hours. Today will officially be cancelled in metro Portland and much of the rest of the state from what I'm hearing. Don't expect any of that nasty freezing rain though, so it would not be that bad BUT for all the branches currently bent under the weight of the snow. I guess some of the train lines closed because branches had bent into the overhead wires - feel sorry for anyone who has to go anywhere tomorrow! If I go silent, I've lost power or Internet or both...

What a winter!
Last edited by xianjiro on January 11th, 2017, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 11th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Here's today's screamer: Portland wakes up to one of 'snowiest' days on record; more on the way (live updates)

Honestly, can't remember the last time I've seen this much snow - decades and well into the mountains or my childhood in the Midwest. It's beautiful, but quite insane. And still snowing.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 11th, 2017, 7:47 pm

omg - did the National Weather service actually write "thundersnow"?

"This area saw 10
to 13 inches of snow, some of which was enhanced by the thundersnow
between 10 pm last night until 1 am today. "

sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 11th, 2017, 9:42 pm

xianjiro on Jan 11 2017, 12:19:27 PM wrote:Here's today's screamer: Portland wakes up to one of 'snowiest' days on record; more on the way (live updates)

Honestly, can't remember the last time I've seen this much snow - decades and well into the mountains or my childhood in the Midwest. It's beautiful, but quite insane. And still snowing.
http://business.financialpost.com/fp-co ... s-prepared

I see this theory, I used to believe it ,now I reserve judgement

Meantime take care stick up on essentials and be prepared,what if they are right, what if there has been warming but there is also to be a mini ice age nevertheless?

sebby

Post by sebby » January 11th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Yeah, I think Portlanders should be more worried about a superquake than an ice age.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 11th, 2017, 10:49 pm

Yeah, I agree with sebby. It would be a long slog to a store today if I needed anything. At least I tend to keep a full larder - but I'm always fearful of losing electricity since these places built in the 60s are all electric. But even then, living two blocks from a hospital should mean any outage will be short lived.

But what's really driving me nuts are all the neighbors have congregated outside my apartment to play today. I'm sick of the noise and god knows how long they'll be at it.

sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » January 12th, 2017, 1:02 am

sebby on Jan 11 2017, 02:45:16 PM wrote:Yeah, I think Portlanders should be more worried about a superquake than an ice age.
It's more immediate as a threat certainly

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » January 12th, 2017, 2:53 am

Last edited by xianjiro on January 12th, 2017, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » March 1st, 2017, 6:01 pm

Mexico City weather: Sunny, 27º C. Suck it, Europe.
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter
ImageImage

Samar

Post by Samar » March 1st, 2017, 7:24 pm

Hunziker on Mar 1 2017, 11:01:24 AM wrote:Mexico City weather: Sunny, 27º C. Suck it, Europe.
Ha! Saudi Arabia is slightly below that, mostly clear 18° C.
and we actually had some rain during the past few weeks too.
Last edited by Samar on March 1st, 2017, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 17th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Many models are predicting severe weather including ice and snow for Western Europe including south of England for end of February which will come as quite a shock to some people I will update you later when that fun starts

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 18th, 2018, 6:52 pm

Goodness me it’s looking even more likely after next weekend snow. 7 cm per hour and minus 18 wow south east England and in France minus 20. Do take care and be prepared for the beast! Still a chance it won’t happen though :lol:

flaiky

Post by flaiky » February 18th, 2018, 8:31 pm

-18?? Are you kidding? No, no way, I cannot handle that.

This winter has already felt like it's lasted forever, it started getting really cold in November. Much worse than the last couple of years.

Edit: Accuweather isn't forecasting anything worse than lows of -1 (highs of 6ish) in London.
Last edited by flaiky on February 18th, 2018, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 18th, 2018, 9:26 pm

flaiky on Feb 18 2018, 01:31:25 PM wrote:-18?? Are you kidding? No, no way, I cannot handle that.

This winter has already felt like it's lasted forever, it started getting really cold in November. Much worse than the last couple of years.

Edit: Accuweather isn't forecasting anything worse than lows of -1 (highs of 6ish) in London.
That’s at high level not surface level sorry about that but still looks like some snow and cold but it may not happen or may move could be minus 3 or more surface with snow if it happens. I am looking at medium term models don’t check standard forecast until Thursday see what they say then

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 23rd, 2018, 12:30 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/warnings#weather-warnings

So looks like eastern areas including London could get some snow and extreme cold next week

We wait in the south and west to see if we get anything more than cold and frost later

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 23rd, 2018, 1:53 pm

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/wea ... atherAlert

Don’t you people in hot countries want to be in the Uk or Western Europe next week? :lol:

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 28th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Is everyone in Europe enjoying the weather ? we have cold and snow in the UK bad in places but where I live not much yet may get snow tomorrow

flaiky

Post by flaiky » March 1st, 2018, 1:34 pm

:satstunned:
Let the ashes fly

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » March 1st, 2018, 2:04 pm

-17 degrees last night, but not that uncommon in winter here (usually have a few days of that per year). Trondheim, Norway.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » March 1st, 2018, 7:06 pm

couple of days ago it was -25c here in south finland

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 4th, 2018, 9:29 pm

The weather in Europe is frightful. 45C for Portugal.
It's been one of the gentlest summers for me in a while however.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

flaiky

Post by flaiky » August 4th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Quite mad looking at my comments about how long and cold the winter was, and now this has been one of the longest and hottest summers I've lived through. In April we still had some snow, and then it's been warm and sunny almost non-stop since the start of May. It's basically been a two-season year...in England :blink:
Let the ashes fly

RBG

Post by RBG » August 4th, 2018, 10:05 pm

102 F here 28% humidity so like...39 C? 45 C in portugal? that's horrifying. i think our all time record is like 49 C and at those temps people start shooting at each other on the freeway. i know in 50 years or so this place will be uninhabitable and it makes me sad. but i'll be dead then. probably
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » August 29th, 2018, 4:13 pm

Looks like the Atlantic will wake up... in september... with possible tropical cyclone formation near Bahama's / Florida moving into the Gulf of Mexico... and 80% likely tropical cyclone development near Cabo Verde probably moving into Mid-Atlantic and steering towards EU / the jet. Behind that cyclone, a series of tropical waves might enter the Atlantic and new tropical cyclones might form there.

Meanwhile the Pacific is on fire...

In Belgium, summer 2018 was extra-ordinary after a very late and long winter... with snow in march / april, and non-stop summer warmth / drought since than... August has been more normal in terms of precipation though, but the drought here was the worst since 1976. It looks like it will get warm & dry again in september though, so the drought might even intensify here. The potential for a new severe & very cold winter though is high mostly because of low solar activity, which might also have something to do with the continental weather, dry summer and the two-year seasons. The parameters for a very severe winter in UK / Belgium and Western-Europe are good... This winter could become in potential the coldest in 20 and possibly 30 years.

Summer 2018 is set to become one of the four driest summers on record, to become the fourth sunniest on record and by far the warmest of all time in the Netherlands.

The period april - august has meanwhile SHATTERED the old warmth record, the fourth sunniest and is one of the 6 driest april - august periods of all times... (most of the rain coming from showers end may and during august).

April was the 4th warmest april on record... May was the warmest may on record... June was the driest june on record (and one of the 10 warmest junes). July was the sunniest and driest july on record, and also the third warmest on record. August 2018 is still predicted to become one of the 10 warmest augusts on record (which surprised me but maybe i expect too much now, after what we've got before). And september looks like it will start very warm and dry...

July was also the sunniest month ever recorded in Netherlands and Belgium.
The drought in Sweden was the worst in almost 70 years... and the spring-summer (april-july) period has been extra-ordinary with even very high temperatures in Northern Finland.
In some regions of the Netherlands, they've measured the longest heatwave on record.
Some regions in Belgium and the Netherlands had their warmest day ever recorded (like in the west, here), with temperatures up to 38°C/100°F
We never had so many days with >20°C and >25°C on a year on record before.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 29th, 2018, 6:21 pm

This must be the longest post in this lounge by far
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » August 29th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Armoreska wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 6:21 pm
This must be the longest post in this lounge by far
Ah okay lol... Well this is just an average post in length from me, or i mean, i'm used to making much longer posts... The weather and the climate is one of my hobbies, so i know a lot from it, actually even much more than about movies.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 30th, 2018, 12:22 am

I'm much more attuned to weather in the Pacific - I live near the coast, and my in-laws live on Big Island Hawaii. So that earthquake/volcano/hurricane stuff they're dealing with is all just more important to me than it used to be...

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 30th, 2018, 1:10 am

It's winter here, and it's been pretty wet lately - https://thewest.com.au/news/weather/per ... b88944583z. Also cold. I'm always in fluffy pants, fluffy socks and a fluffy dressing gown at home or I die. I wish we had heating. Probably doesn't seem cold to the Europeans though; min/max is usually between 7-20°C.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

RBG

Post by RBG » August 30th, 2018, 4:33 am

US open being played in NYC in temps approaching 100F and humidity level upwards of 50% forced 5 players to withdraw from their matches yesterday. even fans were affected. for the first time the tournament instituted heat breaks for extreme weather. some players felt midday matches should have been cancelled entirely

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » August 31st, 2018, 12:40 am

Well hurricanes and typhoons might dominate the news in the upcoming weeks...

This is Florence... It looks like it will track to the Azores and possibly Europe, because it's being blocked by a "rare" much northerly than average high pressure ridge that might steer it to the east.

Jebi is a monster... a majoor typhoon with wind speeds up to 185 mph, and probably extremely low air pressure (probably to Wilma levels, as i've heard). It's heading to Japan.

Norman is going crazy, but looks like it's going to miss Hawaii... but it will become a cat 5 hurricane probably by tomorrow... The East Pacific Hurricane Season is the most active until today (and we're halfway)... August 2018 had the most ACE (accumulated cyclone energy) recorded in a month in the Eastern Pacific Season (because of Hector, Lane and now Norman, and all those other storms)... Remember, we're already at the N and th O is on the way as well with 80% chance of developing in next five days... There is no indication that activity will stop here in september.

The Gulf threat is also on the charts... The Gulf has extremely warm water and favourable conditions for tropical cyclone development, but we need to track this one further / nowcast it to have a better look on it, but it might potentially become a violent, dangerous system.

_________

Activity is increasing, many new tropical waves are ready to help develop new tropical systems... Where the first part of the season was really bad in terms of possible development and activity, everything changed in the last two weeks... Temperatures and shear levels are back to normal, and are now more favourable for development of systems, and the MJO is in a more violent phase for the Atlantic Season. Air pressure anomalies also indicate a more active second part of the hurricane season... The pattern looks like it's going to change.
tropische cyclonen. Het lijkt dat het patroon van de eerste helft op de schop gaat.

And number 7 and 8 are ready to be formed (or 8 and 9 if the Gulf System will get named at some point).

sea surface temperatures back to average and even above average, where it used to be much cooler than normal or even record cold since the end '80's and later early '90's. Especially region around Cabo Verde Islands has warmed sufficiently.

shear levels back to normal, where it used to be higher than normal during the season.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 22nd, 2018, 7:15 am

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... d=pl-share

Found this. Apparently we had 24 days a year at 32 degrees C, now we have 26 and when I’m 80 we’ll have 37.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 20th, 2018, 1:56 am

Indication for much colder weather in the northern hemisphere for january 2019 (maybe starting in the 2nd week).

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » December 21st, 2018, 8:56 pm

Yes winter is coming eventually

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 21st, 2018, 9:47 pm

Cippenham wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 8:56 pm
Yes winter is coming eventually
Obviously, yes.

But it's because of changes in the stratosphere mostly.