Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Dreams

mightysparks
Site Admin

Dreams

Post by mightysparks » March 2nd, 2013, 6:36 pm

According to most people, no-one likes hearing about other people's dreams. But I do! Someone mentioned having a dreams thread ages ago, so I thought instead of clogging up lounges, we can post here about dreams instead :P My recall sucks, so it's been a couple days since I remembered a dream and I already posted about it.

Instead, to start things off, here's a dream I had when I was 9. I find it hilariously blunt.

20/5/00
I was at school with Danielle and we were talking about Angelo. We were waiting for Sineita and Angelo. We saw the bus turn up and we ran up to it but only Angelo came out. We asked him if Sineita was on the bus but he said no. Sineita turned up in the car and she didn't look right. When we were in class she was really angry and she did her work, but she wouldn't talk to anybody and she kept mumbling and giving us angry looks. I didn't know what we had done wrong. At recess I asked her what was wrong and she told us the whole story: "Last night when I was having dinner we had chicken, and mum, Chantelle and I were eating it but Chantelle and mum didn't eat they said it tasted funny and they only had a tiny bite and I had nearly eaten two pieces. The chicken had been poisoned and I had the most so I got sick." Sineita said. "I'm going to die!". She started crying. "The Royal Show is in two weeks and I'm going." she said. "But you won't be alive then." I said.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » March 2nd, 2013, 6:58 pm

One of the strangest and vivid dreams I've ever had was this:

So there i was, in my living room, and my entire family (And I do mean my entire family, with Grandma, Aunts and Uncles, Mom and Dad, My Sisters, My Brother and all those cousins I could never remember the names of) and we're all eating brunch. We're all smiling, everyone is happy, everyone is laughing and we're all having a wonderful swell of a time. Until that is, my grandmother draws me. She looks me dead in the eye and tell me to go to her. She doesn't say anything, I just know it somehow and I do. I go to her.

She tells me it's important that I open the window with strict seriousness. With one heck of a polar switch, she's back to laughing and smiling at this family brunch just like everybody else. I don't think anything of it, so I go open the window, the daylight that once stood out, all happy like, suddenly turns to darkness on the outside. For some reason it's like the looking through the window on the outside is just a cover up, a piece of image hiding us from the truth of the darkness.

All of a sudden realise that behind the window, we're actually on a high floor new york apartment. Everyone outside is yelling outside their windows at what happening. All cars and traffic has stopped. Everyone outside their windows are crying and screaming and yelling.

I look back at my family and they haven't noticed whats going on. My mum offers me a piece of cake, smiling and laughing and I'm terror struck on what's going on outside. All of a sudden I hear music, building louder and louder till I run out the front door and dark outside the door, and there's no moon, I hear people screaming (but only outside do they notice) that the moon has exploded. Exploded everywhere. I here a little child screaming "It's apocalypse! It's doomsday". And the music is getting louder until I notice it's Debbie reynolds voice, singing Singin' In The Rain.

I figure If I must stop the apocalypse then I must find the source of the music and music getting louder, so I run and I run until i find myself in the high school set In Boy Meets World, And I pass the school Janitor closet, to which I figure is the source of the music. And I open it up and it turns out not to be Debbie Reynolds at all. It's Judy Garland, Only she's dressed up in an I love Jeannie costume.

And then I wake up and I'm like wtf.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 2nd, 2013, 7:05 pm

That's... interesting :P Good to see I'm not the only one who ends up with a bizarre mix of people and TV shows/movies (like yours did at the end there).
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » March 2nd, 2013, 7:25 pm

I used to keep a dream log of all my dreams. I have gotten really bad about it lately (last few years). I have had really interesting long dreams recently that I am convinced am real. Then I wake up. Nothing too fun, though.

Sir Plebeian

Post by Sir Plebeian » March 2nd, 2013, 7:29 pm

I had a dream that I had a ps4 the other night.....woke up knowing I am a huge nerd.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » March 2nd, 2013, 7:32 pm

If Red Dead Redemption 2 is released on ps4, i will have to buy one...

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » March 2nd, 2013, 7:40 pm

I'm not hyped at all for the ps4. Only console that has some interest for me is the WiiU which my brother will most likely get in a few months. The new lego game for it looks amazing although the humour in the videos usually falls flat.

I usually don't remember most of my dreams (honestly most that I do remember are just celeb crushes lol) but with one particular style of dream I always have this weird reaction. Whenever I have a nightmare which is pretty rare, chances are it's gonna be about tons of bugs/insects/etc since I am terrified of all of them. Whenever I wake up from it my body is always convinced that my bedroom is full of them so I always have to run out and go hang out in the living room with lights on for a few minutes to calm down.

Also when I was very young I woke up vomiting once (might have been during chemo). I don't remember what the dream was but I do still remember what it was right before I woke up which was someone putting their foot on my face.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 2nd, 2013, 7:45 pm

I still keep a dream journal (and have done since 2003), but my recall started getting really bad after 2009. I have about 4000 dreams now, though I'm far behind in typing them up. I became overly obsessed with them when I found this site in 2007 about quantitative analysis with dreams.

See images for a further look into my obsessive mind :P :
Spoiler: click to toggleShow

I've only done two early subsets of 250 dreams, compared against the norms collected from the quantitative analysis site:

From my spreadsheet, in which I record the appearances of every real person who is in my dreams:

From my Wiki, in which every person and every dream has its own page and it's totally awesome:

I think I love statistics just a little too much.

Sir Plebeian

Post by Sir Plebeian » March 2nd, 2013, 7:46 pm

ArthurYanthar on Mar 2 2013, 12:40:14 PM wrote:I'm not hyped at all for the ps4. Only console that has some interest for me is the WiiU
:facepalm:

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » March 2nd, 2013, 7:48 pm

Sir Plebeian on Mar 2 2013, 12:46:03 PM wrote:
ArthurYanthar on Mar 2 2013, 12:40:14 PM wrote:I'm not hyped at all for the ps4. Only console that has some interest for me is the WiiU
Sorry bro, the wii was easily the best console of the last generation. Such an amazing lineup and it even had my all time favorite game which was Endless Ocean: Blue World.

So far the WiiU lineup doesn't look that good but I'm sure in a few months to a year the lineup will be amazing.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » March 2nd, 2013, 7:53 pm

ArthurYanthar on Mar 2 2013, 12:48:21 PM wrote:
Sorry bro, the wii was easily the best console of the last generation. Such an amazing lineup and it even had my all time favorite game which was Endless Ocean: Blue World.

So far the WiiU lineup doesn't look that good but I'm sure in a few months to a year the lineup will be amazing.
I thought the wii had way too many gimmicky games that fell flat, and it should have focused more on great classic games like previous Nintendo systems.

frbrown

Post by frbrown » March 2nd, 2013, 7:53 pm

ArthurYanthar on Mar 2 2013, 12:48:21 PM wrote:
Sorry bro, the wii was easily the best console of the last generation. Such an amazing lineup
Any recommendations?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 2nd, 2013, 7:57 pm

You can't talk about video games in here, this is the dreams room!

Sir Plebeian

Post by Sir Plebeian » March 2nd, 2013, 7:59 pm

mightysparks on Mar 2 2013, 12:57:24 PM wrote:You can't talk about video games in here, this is the dreams room!
but...but video games are a dream come true :P sorry my dream threw this topic off course!

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » March 2nd, 2013, 8:02 pm

Yea that was the problem with the wii, many people just shat out games that were previously flash games or something to trick some people into buying.

These are some wii games that I loved:
Endless Ocean: Blue World
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword
Rayman Origins
A Boy and His Blob
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Lost Winds Series
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Super Smash Bros Brawl (only play with other people though)
Warioware (only play with other people)
Okami
Super Paper Mario
No More Heroes
Wii Sports and Wii Sports: Resort

Didn't play the Metroid games yet. They also have a decent lineup of SNES/NES/N64 games. If you don't have a wii yet and am not interested in the WiiU, they released the Wii mini for $100 in Canada but I'm sure you can order it online.

I do like the PS3 and Xbox 360 as well although I never owned the latter. I feel like there isn't that much difference to them other than the exclusives. If you have a PS3 then YOU MUST GET VANQUISH.

frbrown

Post by frbrown » March 2nd, 2013, 8:08 pm

Thanks, Arthur. I'm not much of a gamer, but I'll look for these.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » March 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am

I once had a very vivid dream that my mother called me to hurry to get to school.

I got out of bed fast, went to the bathroom, started washing myself and only then realized :

1. It was Saturday.
2. I hadn't been in school for years.
3. I didn't live with my parents anymore.

:D

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » March 11th, 2013, 8:59 am

I get "Brake failure while I am driving" dream almost every alternate days... :(

And that makes me reluctant to drive a car though I have a license. Can there be a psychological reason for it? I haven't faced such a scenario in real life ever, thankfully.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 11th, 2013, 9:05 am

I had a dream yesterday that bus stops had been replaced with the elevator thingies from Portal 2 and they worked as a teleporter.

I'm getting a feeling that I'm playing too much Portal...

sebby

Post by sebby » March 13th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Last night I dreamed that I was Jimmy Stewart acting in a western, but when the scene ended no one yelled cut and everyone kept on going like it was real life rather than a movie. The guy playing the sheriff legitimately tried to hogtie me and hang me from a flagpole in the town square. I had to grab a real gun and murder some people who I thought were actors and friends just to get away.

Completely fucked.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 13th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Sounds pretty cool.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » March 13th, 2013, 3:18 pm

mightysparks on Mar 13 2013, 09:14:59 AM wrote:Sounds pretty cool.
Yeah, I never dreamt I was in a western (at least I can't remember) you'd think with all the hours I put in...

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 14th, 2013, 1:35 am

Had an annoying dream about tidal waves last night, one of my most recurring nightmares. I was on the beach and then suddenly this wave started building up and everyone bolted, I climbed up on this giant step thing with my brother and each wave got higher and higher and I had to keep climbing, until the waves higher than the thing I was on, so I had to climb down and run to this building to get to the highest part of it. Then the waves were too high for that, so I ran to find a car to drive away but ended up with this golf buggy thing which was the slowest thing ever. I went on foot instead and found these two weird looking babies with big heads in a tent, and then some woman who had gone crazy started eating one of the babies (just grabbed it and bit out its throat), so I ran off and then apparently the waves had finished, so I went to find my family and go home.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » March 14th, 2013, 1:37 am

mightysparks on Mar 13 2013, 07:35:10 PM wrote:then some woman who had gone crazy started eating one of the babies (just grabbed it and bit out its throat)
definitely not a sign you've seen too many horror films :whistling:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 21st, 2013, 2:02 am

Had an annoying dream last night. I was part of some underground movement during WW2 and the SS were cracking down on us. The lead bloke, who was basically Hans Landa except he looked different, found me and an another guy and we spent the entire dream literally running away from him. We got caught at one point and I was told to dig a grave in the snow for the guy, but then he shot the guy, so I ran again. Ended up in this building and could never seem to get out of it, the Hans Landa guy would just walk slowly while I'm running about looking for an exit. Every exit I found would lead to a dead end or end up leading me back to the original building. Fecking dreams. Be pleasant for a change :P

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » March 21st, 2013, 3:47 am

You mean basically the ending to
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
Army of Shadows?

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 8th, 2013, 7:17 am

Had a dream last night that my eyeball fell out.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » April 8th, 2013, 7:21 am

AdamH on Apr 8 2013, 01:17:26 AM wrote:Had a dream last night that my eyeball fell out.
:'(

Did you put it back in? :whistling:

sebby

Post by sebby » April 8th, 2013, 7:22 am

Had a dream a few nights a go that a sea lion was napping in my sink.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 8th, 2013, 7:23 am

jvv on Apr 8 2013, 01:21:42 AM wrote:
AdamH on Apr 8 2013, 01:17:26 AM wrote:Had a dream last night that my eyeball fell out.
:'(

Did you put it back in? :whistling:
Can't remember much of the dream now but I think I went to the hospital and they put it back in pretty easily

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » April 8th, 2013, 9:25 am

I had a dream last night that a hamburger was eating me!

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 8th, 2013, 10:21 am

I had a dream last night where I was in my front yard and I looked up and it was as if I was seeing in a really shallow range of depth, like someone had lowered the atmosphere. and then there was this rocket that looked like it was launching from down the block (like a space shuttle rocket) and then it crashed only a while later up the block. and then it got up again? If I was a Freudian I'd be worried for my sexual organs. Good thing I'm not. :)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 3rd, 2013, 4:37 pm

I had a really horror movie like dream the other night. There was a bus stop in the middle of this forest. I was there with a group of strangers and it was dark and kinda foggy. We heard this guy make this blood curdling scream and then heard children laughing. We saw shadows of children running down the street and then towards us. We ran and then somehow I ended up trapped on a boat. A lady was on it and was saying that she was going to keep us. I managed to grab this sharp rod and started trying to stab her in the ankles, but it didn't work so I shoved it up her vagina and blood started going everywhere, then I stabbed her in the chest and she died. We escaped and started running back through the forest. I could hear all these noises (like ghostly and evil) and ran through this deserted carnival looking place. A scarecrow raised its head as I ran past and I could feel something catching up to me, and I ran into a cabin and locked the door. Everything went quiet and then another lady appeared and made me follow her into this room. It was a big stage area and the audience was full of mannequins of famous people. She made me go to the front of the stage and the mannequins came to life and started coming towards me.

Sucked balls.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » May 3rd, 2013, 5:06 pm

My dreams are incredibly boring. When I was a kid the dream I dreamt the most was about the family car suddenly started rolling towards the small lake nearby and then when it almost went into it the dream would stop. Nobody inside the car, we are just watching it happen. This could never happen irl from the position it starts rolling from because the car needs to make a lot of turns and move along some flat surface to get to the lake.

Nowadays my nightmares are about forgetting assignment, i.e talking to someone and then they say "so what were your arguments for such and such" and me totally forgetting about writing the paper and handing it in. Or not getting significant results for some research that I've worked on. Or disappointing my supervisor about something.
Last edited by Lilarcor on May 3rd, 2013, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 3rd, 2013, 5:13 pm

Most of mine are about that exciting :P I'd just dream about going to school and messing about with my friend and staring at the guy I liked, which was all stuff I did IRL anyway. Then during exams I'd dream about getting there late or failing. Now I mostly dream about work and the forum :(

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 19th, 2013, 7:38 am

I had a dream last night that this girl and her friend were at my house and were being really bitchy and I hit them both with a butcher knife, killing them, and then I ate them, then my dad and I were trying to hide other evidence whilst these door-to-door salesman type of people were being really pushy trying to get us to donate to poor people. I don't even.

:satstunned:

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » June 19th, 2013, 7:43 am

mightysparks on Jun 19 2013, 01:38:52 AM wrote:I don't even. :satstunned:
this

You ate them? What? You ate them. You ate them. You ate them. :blink: But did you donate?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 19th, 2013, 7:53 am

I killed them and then immediately ate them, it was some weird frenzy :/ But then I didn't have to worry about disposing of bodies, so maybe that's why I did it? And then I just sort of casually went to my dad and said "I ate them. Not in a weird sex way". And no, I didn't donate, I kept telling them to feck off in between trying to clear up some mattresses and blankets that had blood on them :D

Probably the weirdest dream I've ever had.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » June 19th, 2013, 12:08 pm

This is what horror movies do to you, people!

SanderO

Post by SanderO » June 19th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Or Thai food just before bedtime.