Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Dreams

GremVendetta

Dreams

Post by GremVendetta » March 3rd, 2015, 6:24 am

Oh man, I had so many dreams of Stephen Merchant back in 2011. I went to see him live in Wolverhampton when he toured Hello Ladies. He's a funny bloke. And what a stud, woof!
But these days, it's all been about Tom Hanks and Antonio Banderas. Philadelphia's a hell of a movie.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 3rd, 2015, 6:27 am

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone with my Merchant obsession. I was hoping to go stalking the Hollywood Hills for him when I'm in LA in June/July, and then he announced he was back in the UK for a stupid play :'( You're on your own with the others though :P
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

drbop

Post by drbop » March 6th, 2015, 7:19 pm

In my dream last night, my brother and I missed our bus stop and we found ourselves at the end of the line. While waiting for a bus heading back, we go into a building where a church service was happening. At this point I realize I am in my underwear. Later, we head outside to realize we missed the return trip and all the buses are done for the day. At this point I have a full set of clothes on again. The only people around other than us are some policemen. We ask them if they can give us a ride home and they say they can. Before they can take us home, they turn into zombies. I ask them how they turned into zombies and they say it happens every night. They start to attack me, so I fight back.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 7th, 2015, 3:29 am

I had a dream the night before last that I was friends with Nicolas Cage but I was pretending I didn't know he was famous and we were hanging out with a bunch of my friends and other people who were pretending they didn't know who he was and he was desperately trying to get us to realise. Like he'd bring up films he was in or hint about being famous, but we just ignored everything he said.

Last night I dreamt that two guy friends and I dressed up as women and then walked down to this 'outside cafe' to get coffee (I got an iced chocolate since I don't drink coffee).
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

monty

Post by monty » March 7th, 2015, 3:35 am

mightysparks on Mar 6 2015, 08:29:03 PM wrote:Last night I dreamt that two guy friends and I dressed up as women...
Don't you usually dress as a woman?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 7th, 2015, 3:40 am

monty on Mar 6 2015, 08:35:45 PM wrote:
mightysparks on Mar 6 2015, 08:29:03 PM wrote:Last night I dreamt that two guy friends and I dressed up as women...
No, I only wear guy clothes :P

monty

Post by monty » March 7th, 2015, 3:45 am

mightysparks on Mar 6 2015, 08:40:30 PM wrote:
monty on Mar 6 2015, 08:35:45 PM wrote:
All year round? If so, I guess the above dream of yours was a nightmare, right?
Last edited by monty on March 7th, 2015, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 7th, 2015, 3:54 am

monty on Mar 6 2015, 08:45:24 PM wrote:
mightysparks on Mar 6 2015, 08:40:30 PM wrote:
monty on Mar 6 2015, 08:35:45 PM wrote:Don't you usually dress as a woman?
All year round?
Yes? Aside from underwear for obvious reasons, every bit of clothing I own is either male or 'unisex'.

GremVendetta

Post by GremVendetta » March 7th, 2015, 8:53 am

Same mate.
I love men's shirts! I usually take my brother's hand-me-down ripped jeans, boots and jackets too so I rarely ever need new clothes. Guy's stuff is so much more comfortable anyway.
It's weird to me that girls can wear clothes for men like no problem, but guys who wear girl's clothes are strange? Fuck that, man. Guys look amazing in tight jeans and skirts. Maybe one day we'll get over this double standard.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 7th, 2015, 9:05 am

I wouldn't exactly say girls get a free ride wearing men's clothes. I'm hardly masculine looking, but the number of times I've been asked if I was a guy or girl is ridiculous. I mean, they're not asking because they genuinely don't know, they're just trying to be mean but if the long hair didn't give it away, I'm a 14E ffs.

GremVendetta

Post by GremVendetta » March 7th, 2015, 4:41 pm

That's madness, I'm sorry about that mate. I hardly ever get any grief about wearing men's clothes and I'm 32A, but people can still be so bloody rude sometimes. And anyway, as if it's anyone else's business what your gender is. I thought we were in a more open-minded time but I guess we still have a long way to go.

monty

Post by monty » March 7th, 2015, 5:32 pm

A wild guess - outback Oz isn't the most progressive of places in terms of gender equality?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 7th, 2015, 5:53 pm

I wouldn't know, I live in the suburbs near the city :P I'm sure it would be fine with everyone if I was 'quirky' or 'cute', but I'm not, so people are dick-ish about it.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » March 7th, 2015, 7:01 pm

I don't get grief for wearing men's/unisex clothes, but I do occasionally get addressed as sir. Followed by a profuse apology when I open my mouth and they realize I'm not a man. :lol:

Actually, while this happens occasionally here in the Netherlands it happens a lot more if I'm abroad. In the UK and US it happened fairly often, while in Japan it basically happened all the time (I'm fairly tall and rather overweight).

GremVendetta

Post by GremVendetta » March 8th, 2015, 4:25 am

I'm interested in visiting Japan soon, so what is the general public reaction to girls wearing men's clothes? Is it not seen as an acceptable thing to do?

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » March 8th, 2015, 1:12 pm

RollingWonder on Mar 7 2015, 09:25:19 PM wrote:I'm interested in visiting Japan soon, so what is the general public reaction to girls wearing men's clothes? Is it not seen as an acceptable thing to do?
To be honest I wouldn't know. I'm generally kind of oblivious to these sort of things.

GremVendetta

Post by GremVendetta » March 8th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Ah okay, suppose I'll just have to experience it firsthand.

It's funny we're talking about this since I was walking to Tesco earlier wearing a popular men's hoodie and I met a guy in the queue wearing the same thing. I live in a small city in the UK populated mostly by students from around the country and around the world, so it's kind of an open-minded area. So when he turned around, we did the 'OMG SAME SHIRT' thing and complimented each other on our amazing fashion sense.

It was funny, and it's nice he didn't make any rude comments about wearing something marketed for men, but it's a little infuriating now since I've seen at least 5 people wearing it since I bought it a few days ago!

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » March 8th, 2015, 9:51 pm

RollingWonder on Mar 8 2015, 03:27:21 PM wrote:Ah okay, suppose I'll just have to experience it firsthand.

It's funny we're talking about this since I was walking to Tesco earlier wearing a popular men's hoodie and I met a guy in the queue wearing the same thing. I live in a small city in the UK populated mostly by students from around the country and around the world, so it's kind of an open-minded area. So when he turned around, we did the 'OMG SAME SHIRT' thing and complimented each other on our amazing fashion sense.

It was funny, and it's nice he didn't make any rude comments about wearing something marketed for men, but it's a little infuriating now since I've seen at least 5 people wearing it since I bought it a few days ago!
I have never been to Japan and I wouldn't for a second pretend to be an expert, but my sense is that Japan is so homogeneous, insular, and, well, conformist, that it's as if foreigners don't compute culturally, so they just label them all "outsider" (gaijin) and apply almost none of their rules to them. The benefit of this is that foreigners often get a free ride in terms of cultural expectations (like clothing).

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » March 8th, 2015, 9:53 pm

mightysparks on Mar 6 2015, 08:29:03 PM wrote:I had a dream the night before last that I was friends with Nicolas Cage but I was pretending I didn't know he was famous and we were hanging out with a bunch of my friends and other people who were pretending they didn't know who he was and he was desperately trying to get us to realise. Like he'd bring up films he was in or hint about being famous, but we just ignored everything he said.
I have to admit that I almost never read this thread, but I'm so glad I just took a random peek as I find this absolutely hilarious. :thumbsup:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 8th, 2015, 10:56 pm

RollingWonder on Mar 8 2015, 03:27:21 PM wrote:Ah okay, suppose I'll just have to experience it firsthand.

When I was living in London, I experienced nothing but complete open-mindedness. I was forever being complimented on my Portal and Beatles shirts (pretty much the entirety of my shirt collection) and no-one seemed bothered at all. I often got into lengthy [friendly] conversations with strangers over them and I never noticed anyone pointing and giggling. But over here it's just non-stop. I don't care what anyone says or thinks about it, because who cares, but it's still frustrating. Just another thing to add on the list of reasons why I hate this horrible country.

GremVendetta

Post by GremVendetta » March 9th, 2015, 3:21 am

Well if you ever decide to come over here again, please let me borrow your shirts! Beatles and Portal are amazing! I'll trade you my Futurama and Gremlins shirts!

GremVendetta

Post by GremVendetta » March 9th, 2015, 3:31 am

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Mar 8 2015, 03:51:31 PM wrote:I have never been to Japan and I wouldn't for a second pretend to be an expert, but my sense is that Japan is so homogeneous, insular, and, well, conformist, that it's as if foreigners don't compute culturally, so they just label them all "outsider" (gaijin) and apply almost none of their rules to them. The benefit of this is that foreigners often get a free ride in terms of cultural expectations (like clothing).
I had that feeling too after watching some vloggers of foreigners living in Japan on YouTube. There were a lot of comments about how the Japanese tend to stay in line and go along with authority, so anything that foreigners do that is outside of the norm is usually dismissed as typical gaijin behaviour.
I won't know for sure if this is what it's really like over there until I go there, but if it is I'm pretty excited to be the one to shake the fabric of society!

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 16th, 2015, 6:08 am

Every few weeks or so (since my dream recall is so sucky now), I go through my dreams and write down the dates and who appeared and then put the info into my spreadsheet. I've been using one of my notebooks for the past 6 years:

Not had many interesting dreams lately, but this was odd:

10/3/15
I was watching a film about this guy whose daughter had died from some illness when she was about 8 or so. Not sure what happened to his wife, but he started dating this woman and he never talked about his past with her. Sometimes it switched between being 'first person view' from the woman and it being a film. While 'I' was the woman, I was at his house and this young girl came up and started talking to me. She was a bit mysterious with the way she spoke but I gathered she was his daughter. He couldn't see her though. Then I started seeing his wife too. Something happened and he went crazy and he started killing people. But it was like an interactive movie, so you were experiencing the kills as well. The lighting was all weird, like dark but red and then blue etc. He was crying and crazed looking and had a knife and he was slicing up his wife and this other woman. Even once they were dead, he was just slicing and slicing. He killed the daughter as well. Then a baby started crying and he went to kill it. Then I was in like a cinema watching it and a lady behind me was snivelling. I thought she was stupid for finding it sad and I was impressed at how intense and immersive it was.

drbop

Post by drbop » March 16th, 2015, 3:58 pm

Pretty much any dream I have where I'm watching a movie I eventually become a part of it.

drbop

Post by drbop » March 19th, 2015, 4:46 pm

In my dream last night I met a girl at the grocery store. We hit it off as far as grocery store conversations go, but then I had to leave, never to see her again. But then a large family of vampires, though they did not have any of the characteristics of vampires, was visiting my home that evening, and the girl was among them. We hung out for a while and even danced a little, but then a man from the family said he was her husband. I was suspicious that he was lying so I asked someone else in the family to tell me the family tree structure. He said they were so big they didn't keep track. He started mentioning who the couples were, and he didn't mention the pair I was interested in. But then my dream ended before I could inquire further.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 8th, 2015, 10:51 pm

9/4/15
I was in the world of Brazil, except it was different and stranger. I wasn't 'from' there, but I don't know how I ended up there. Jonathan Pryce looked like Mr Dark, except was Sam Lowry except that he wasn't and I was calling him Jonathan. We were dating and his place was basically just one room - it was rectangular and not very wide, I only remember seeing the room from the bed which was at the far end, there were cupboards/wardrobes around the back wall, and then the bed was next to that but the bed was facing sideways, so the back wall was to the left of the bed. There was almost no space from the end of the bed to the side wall. At the front end was the kitchen and the door was to the left of that. There was a couch and table and some other bits in the middle. I'm not sure where the the bathroom was. Anyway, I remember lying in bed in the morning and he had already left for work so I was bored and awaiting his return. I went about my day and was outside in the garden later and was wondering why he still wasn't home. This policeman type of dude was around and he came by and asked to see my ID card or whatever (for the person that lived at the house) and I said it was my boyfriend's house and gave him Jonathan's card which he scanned. He then said he'd been arrested and I was like wtf. He left and then Jonathan ended up returning but had like escaped or something. He explained what happened (can't remember), then we could hear sirens coming closer so I said we had to leave now, I grabbed my phone and left everything else - I was slightly annoyed about leaving all my stuff and I only grabbed my phone because I wanted the music on it. Jonathan had this vehicle thing which sort of flew and there was only enough room for two people so we got in that thing and were 'flying' away. It was difficult to control and was all over the place though. After being chased for a while we got caught and ended up in this underground science lab. I woke up in this passage way and walked past these rooms which all had a big glass window, door on the right and inside were big eggs. It turned out the place had been cloning dinosaurs and a few baby dinosaurs were wandering about. I saw a big T-Rex type of thing at another end and I started running for the door at the end of the passage way and started climbing up the walls. A few more T-Rex things appeared as well but they hadn't seen me yet.

Dinosaurs :/

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » April 9th, 2015, 12:03 am

This thread should be renamed "Guess the horror movie from mighty's dream". :whistling:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 9th, 2015, 8:31 am

I've never heard of that horror film :ermm: Last night just before I went to bed I plugged in an external and found a copy of Something Wicked This Way Comes on it, so I had a quick flick through to erm parts I liked, so I know why that bit came about. The dinosaurs though :/

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » April 9th, 2015, 2:02 pm

The last part of the dream reminded me of Godzilla and Jurassic Park. Not really horror films, but the latter is on the official horror list. And let's not forget that you post zombie dreams on a regular basis. :P

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 9th, 2015, 2:08 pm

I mostly dream about work these days so any deviation is good. I've been in a good mood all day just coz of that dream :happy:

I still haven't gotten past mid-2008 on my dream wiki, but:

Really need to finish that fecking thing coz I want ALL THE STATS

drbop

Post by drbop » April 9th, 2015, 7:31 pm

In my most recent dream, I for some reason believed mightysparks was black.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 1st, 2015, 7:24 am

I just a had a song with lyrics that I really like play in my dream, and I thought wow I forgot all about it, that's definitely missing from my listed top 400+ (not many with much lyrics there)
And now that I woke up, I forgot the melody and the words. Goddamnit
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

drbop

Post by drbop » June 2nd, 2015, 3:03 am

In my most recent dream, I had a toy that was a clump of sand that would react to its environment. I lost more and more of it over the dream, as a clump of sand is prone to do. I was sad that I was losing my clump of sand. Suddenly I had a lot more sand, which led me to realize was because the sand was alive the whole time and had just spread itself out to look for more sand to absorb into itself. I then molded my pet living clump of sand into a giant rubik's cube, which everyone thought was a real rubik's cube, as the sand could apparently change colors.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 2nd, 2015, 3:11 am

drbop on Jun 1 2015, 09:03:38 PM wrote:I was sad that I was losing my clump of sand.
:lol:

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » July 4th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Had a dream that Bob Dylan named his son "Kale" and I read about it and told everyone.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 4th, 2015, 2:11 pm

I dreamt that I was outside with some people and there were some dark clouds looming, and I suggested we get into this plane, which we did but this guy started flying it and I was like I didn't mean to fly it and then he said something like one of the guys in the group had to die, so he parked it in this water but it was shallow so we walked out. Then everyone picked a Pokemon toy, and they had Cyndaquil, Psyduck, mewtwo and this pink one that wasn't a real Pokemon and I chose that one.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » July 4th, 2015, 5:28 pm

In my dream I was watching an abstract short film with a male narrator (like in Disney or Warner Bros cartoons). There was a white-yellow background (like a mixed inside of an egg) and in the centre there was a large coloured model of a "molecule" (which looked more like simple proteins though - connected lines and so on) and underneath its molecular formula. A couple of different "molecules" were shown like that and the narrator was naming them and explaining which react with each other to make something else. That was one of the nicest dreams I've had. Makes sense I've had it, because last month I was having an "experimental shorts...but also features" quest and I doing some chemistry.

I also dreamt that I walked to the edge of the city and sat down on the street right at that mental boarder. On my vision field I saw the length of the radius of the city in km in a black font. I sat on that sidewalk and the whole thing looked a little like the way to my home. Then I took my hand and pulled out a plant from the ground which was actually a sack with carrots and other stuff. I ate one of those carrots.
In another sequence this night, I was in front of a supermarket with my brother. We went inside.
I also have certain glimpses of the front entrance of a poorly lighted club at night and some images of a garden with some 'parents' talking to each other.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 4th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Both those dreams sound really nice.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 7th, 2015, 4:50 pm

I was writing down some keywords about a dream so I could post it here. But then I woke up and realized I had a dream in a dream. :/

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 7th, 2015, 4:52 pm

The night before last I dreamt that I met Arthur and themagician.. I spend too much time on here :P