Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Weight Loss Challenge and Discussion

mightysparks
Site Admin

Weight Loss Challenge and Discussion

Post by mightysparks » June 17th, 2018, 2:49 am

Starting my last week of my first round of Insanity Max 30 today. I got behind for a few days and started one week over but I’m nearly done. I’ve lost 5.5kg total now and about 20cm all over but I can’t really see any differences except I noticed my work pants starting to fall down. Taking a week break after this one and then starting my second round. Hoping to see more changes over the next 2 months.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 10th, 2018, 3:57 am

I am starting my second week of my second round of Insanity Max 30 this week. I didn't end up losing any more weight with my first round, so 5.5kg lost and 23cm (chest/waist/hips/bicep/thigh). I really hate exercising and I have to force myself to do it every day. I always feel great afterwards, but actually doing it ugh.

I've noticed I have the opposite effect when smoking, I get the urge and want to do it and as soon as I do I feel sick and get a headache and immediately regret it. So I've started trying to reduce smoking because I actually don't even get the urge to want to smoke now, except to deal with withdrawal symptoms, so I just go as long as I can through the day until I feel sick and then smoke. Yesterday I was out all day and didn't smoke until like 10pm. And it was actually nice and relaxing without the sick feeling and I enjoyed the night.

I'm starting to focus on my nutrition more now, as I only calorie counted during the last round (and had too many binge days), but I want to start eating properly because I'm really starting to feel as bad as the food that I eat. I'm trying to create meal plans for me and my bf but he has to eat 1000 more calories than me and I don't even know how to add that much extra food without it seeming unreasonable. Food costs so much :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 10th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Mighty, we have a Jack Sprat situation where my husband needs to gain and I need to lose. So I make 3 servings and count on him to eat 2. It also helps to keep the carbs on the side so I can skip them. We also eat sandwiches open-faced.

During last week's heat wave I pigged out big time and exercised very little (trainer was on vacation) - gained 3 lbs. Went to dr yesterday and at least my a1c is down a bit instead of up as I feared.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 10th, 2018, 10:20 pm

We kind of do that now with our dinners. I have one serving of chicken and rice and he has double. But trying to plan for his snacks and the rest of the day is really hard. We also have different work schedules so dinner is the only thing that we always eat together since we cook it all up beforehand and freeze it. Some of these meal plans seem like too much for me and doubling them sometimes seems like it would be an impossible amount of food to eat (though he has an endless stomach :P ).

Because of my hands and eyes I’ve decided I have to find a new hobby to get me away from the computer so I plan to properly experiment with cooking and hopefully start forcing both of us to eat better.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 11th, 2018, 2:26 am

Weighed myself this morning and I'm FINALLY under 90kg. 89.5kg; 7kg lost now :sweat:

I got to 73kg years ago, so slowly crawling back.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 22nd, 2018, 3:43 am

Trying to keep myself accountable by occasionally posting in here. Today is 3 months since I started. I have lost 8.7kg now. Started at 96.7kg, was 88.0kg this morning. At 85.6kg my BMI will drop to 'overweight' and not obese. Since I last posted, I have started cooking healthier meals, going for walks, doing the 250 steps an hour Fitbit thing, and logging EVERYTHING. I weigh myself every morning and track my trends in a spreadsheet and in apps. I only take my Fitbit off to charge it, to shower, and every now and then when I'm sedentary and it starts to hurt. With cooking, I've been focusing on dinners and dessert-y snacks. Chocolate is my weakness so I've been making low calorie brownies, cookies etc. I actually don't even want to eat anything in a box or packet now and I just crave the feeling of homemade food.

I wouldn't really say I'm enjoying it, but I've started getting more interested in fitness and health. Instead of just thinking of everything as being about weight loss, now I just want a healthier and better lifestyle. When my Fitbit buzzes me at the last 10 minutes of every hour, I jump up and pace around my room. I (happily) take any opportunity to do more steps, whereas before I would take all shortcuts possible. I've just been feeling so much better the last few months. Even when I think about things that make me angry and sad, I just channel the energy into motivation to get fit. I can't really see any physical change yet, but I've dropped a pants size (my work pants just kept falling off) and can fit into some of my jackets that I bought when I lived in London 5 years ago and haven't been able to do up since then. My boyfriend says he can see and feel the difference, but I can only really feel that I have less fat on my hips. I'm only measuring myself once a month now, and my next measure-up is in a week.

I can also see big improvements every week with the Insanity Max 30 workouts. I have just finished Week 3, Month 1, Round 2. Last week there was a move I was unable to do unmodified in Friday Fight, but this week I managed to do about 5-10 seconds of the unmodified version. I can actually do 1-2 knee diamond push-ups now and I have not ever been able to do 1. Oh and I did a full 30 seconds of diamond jump burpees without modifying, and I could barely do the modifier for the 30 seconds a few weeks ago. This round will finish at the end of next month and I want to do two more by the end of the year.

My goal date for inspiration is my graduation at the end of February. I don't need to hit my goal weight by then, but I want graduation photos that I'm proud to share.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 27th, 2018, 2:39 am

I'm supposed to wait another 3 days for my monthly progress photos but I came across some non-official ones and I got bored. Was happy to see some small change.

These are 2.5 months apart, 9.2kg lost.

This week I also did the full 1 minute chair squat on Tues and Thurs workout for the first time in the 3 months I've been doing it. I wasn't that low in the squat but I'd never been able to hold that for more than about 30-40 seconds before needing a break. Also starting to see some definition in my calves.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » July 27th, 2018, 4:25 am

Nice! Congrats! :cheers:

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » August 1st, 2018, 10:51 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
July 27th, 2018, 4:25 am
Nice! Congrats! :cheers:

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » August 1st, 2018, 10:58 am

nimimerkillinen wrote:
December 16th, 2017, 3:27 pm
nimimerkillinen on Apr 27 2017, 01:03:52 AM wrote:179.5cm
7.2015 66kg
8.2015 83kg
10.8 88kg
3.2016 93kg
8.5.2016 89kg
2.2017 101kg
9.3 99.3kg
11.3 103.2kg :-&
10.4 101.96kg
27.4 99.9kg

100 kilograms =
220.462262 pounds
at around 89kg now
not easy to to lose weight on neuroleptics + winter
got down to 85.x at some point
atm 30.7.18 94.6kg cutting down beer and wine to max once every three weeks, that should help! also changing diet + going for walks

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 2nd, 2018, 5:00 am

I've taken a break this week due to my stomach bug and flu, and have lost about 1.5kg since last post (mostly from throwing up I think... three days in a row I ate less than 800 calories). I'll take it though :whistling: Getting back on track on Monday, as I start month 2 of second round of IM30. I also measured my height more accurately and discovered I was 1cm taller than I thought, so I am now officially 'overweight' and not 'obese'. 13.7kg to 'normal'. At 85.9kg as of this morning.

I have also not smoked since Friday due to being sick so this is the longest I've been sober in over a year lol. I don't think it'll last for long once this cough goes away, but it's a nice reminder that I can get by without it...

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » August 2nd, 2018, 7:14 am

So yesterday I had that view on my scale:

First time I weighed in under 70 kg since likely 15 years. I honestly feel a bit proud of myself.
About 3 to 5 kg to my final goal. That seems close and realistically achievable.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 2nd, 2018, 7:20 am

Don't think I've been under 70kg in 15 years either lol. I remember getting weighed when I was 12 and it was over 70kg and I didn't weigh myself again for years. Impressive job, man!

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » August 4th, 2018, 9:47 pm

I've had a bit of underweight... In January, i weighed 58.7 kg (while i'm 1.85 cm heigh)... Currently, i weigh around 61 kg. I never had normal weight, always been underweight for my entire life... though i lost (even more) weight over the last two or three years. I had a BMI of 17.1 at my lowest point, while my BMI was never higher than 18.5.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 12th, 2018, 1:40 am

My weight finally budged after a small 2 week plateau and I’m now at 11.3kg down (and met my third goal, out of 10). Halfway point is 18.3kg, slowly crawling along. I’m buying some gym rings soon and adding a home lifting routine to help build up some more strength. I’ve been watching my cardio fitness score on Fitbit for a while. It was in the low end of fair to average since I started 3.5 months ago and today it is now ‘average’. Nice to see some improvement.

I’ve kind of gotten obsessed with all things diet/fitness/health related and spend most of the day looking at progress pics, reading people’s stories, learning about different moves, equipment and muscle groups, looking at my own spreadsheets and trends, etc. I was considering doing intermittent fasting but I don’t think i really want to so I’ve opted for the minimum ‘12:12’ and just stop eating after 8. Keeps me less bloated and stops me snacking.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » August 13th, 2018, 8:00 am

You go girl!

Some girls at work do IF and they say it really helps with their snacking. I tend to be at 14/10 or 15/9 without making a conscious effort either way, as I really don't snack anymore since I started to seriously count my calories. So I have a breakfast usually around 10 am and I have dinner at 7 or 8 pm as my last thing to eat each day depending on when I come home from work / sport.

And I say following the progresspic sub on reddit has been one of my strongest motivators for the past few weeks / months. Also a shoutout to the bodyweightfitness sub.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 13th, 2018, 11:32 am

Yeah, I've been obsessed with Reddit lately that's what's made me obsessed with all this stuff. The only subs I have are all fitness related lol. I never thought I would be reading about fitness every day (I don't even follow any film subs). I'm starting the Recommended Routine from the bwf sub once the rings arrive. I'm thinking of switching to just running/lifting after I finish this round of Insanity Max 30 coz I kinda want something new.

I've also stopped snacking lately because I watch my deficits too closely. I get really hungry by 11pm (usually go to bed midnight/1am) and then just want to eat until I go to bed while my boyfriend eats chocolate in front of me all night omg. That was a hard habit to break out of, getting a snack every time he gets a snack. I'm hoping I'll start to get less hungry once my body adjusts.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » August 13th, 2018, 2:25 pm

The hardest time of food control was when I started to get a bit more into running. When I started running, I just felt like dieing when I came home and was so exhausted that I wasn't even that hungry. But once I got into a routine I was famished af after every run and wanted to wolf down half of all the stuff in my fridge...

But as you guessed, with time things became normal, I have just a regular appetite after training and my body also adapted to not getting snacks later at night.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 23rd, 2018, 3:57 am

Been frustrated with lack of progress lately. I weigh myself every day but the last 2 weeks have just been jumping up and down between 85.7 and 84.7, every day it is something new. I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning, today it was 85.4, but then I weighed myself a few hours later after a poo and it was down to 84.7. I'm pretty sure it was not a 1kg poo. My body is just being annoying right now. I also weighed myself on a normal scale and it said I was about a kg less than the digital scale so what even is weight.

The gym rings have arrived, but I have decided to finish this round of IM:30 first - next Saturday is my last day! Then C25K and RR. I've gotten kind of bored with IM:30 and find it hard to even find energy to push myself through the workouts now, so I've been doing mostly the modifier again, but really focusing on my form and I basically burn the same amount of calories according to Fitbit, but have to stop less. Still a huge improvement from struggling with the modifier a couple months ago.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 28th, 2018, 3:16 am

Yesterday was my monthly 'check-in', but I forgot so did it today. My weight has seemingly started to move now, and was 84.1kg this morning. I've also lost 12cm from around the place since last month so I guess I was gaining muscle while I wasn't losing the kg's. I was pretty surprised by my change in shape over 4 months:
SpoilerShow

So, 4 months progress (kg & cm):
Weight: 96.7 -> 84.1 (-12.6)
Chest: 119 -> 109 (-10)
Waist: 103 -> 90 (-13)
Hips: 122 -> 112 (-10)
Biceps: 28.5 -> 28 (-0.5 each)
Thighs: 68 -> 65, 67 -> 64 (-3 each)
Calves: 38 -> 36 (-2 each)

BMI has dropped from 33.46 (obese) to 29.10 (overweight), and my body fat % estimate has gone from 39% to 33.5%.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » August 29th, 2018, 11:36 am

Good job... Remember that water weight can cause big differences from day to day, but the overall trend will be downwarts just like the overall trend of climate temperature will be upwards.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 30th, 2018, 12:59 am

Yeah I know, I just always get annoyed seeing the same number over and over again. And it's frustrating when it's been nearly 3 weeks of it. I track everything in a spreadsheet (of course) to keep me motivated and track my overall trends.

Anything I can put in a spreadsheet I obsess over.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 30th, 2018, 2:51 am

mightysparks wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 12:59 am
I think this might be the exact reason I don't track my weight in a spreadsheet...

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 30th, 2018, 5:02 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 2:51 am
mightysparks wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 12:59 am
I think this might be the exact reason I don't track my weight in a spreadsheet...
Actually, it’s not the bad kind of obsession even though I get frustrated when it’s not budging. The graph is fun to watch as it changes and moves slowly closer to my goal and the predictions let me see how I’m going and whether or not I need to make changes somewhere (eat less/move more). It also gives me a reason to stay accountable daily because I know I’m going to weigh myself in the morning so it stops me from having too many extra snacks. Everything I do today is for tomorrow’s check-in (etc). I do find myself just staring at the spreadsheet during the day and not doing anything important, but I’m not obsessed with the scale or starving myself to make it go down faster or anything ‘bad’ like that. I don’t think I could stay motivated enough without the spreadsheet.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » August 30th, 2018, 11:31 am

That spreadsheet looks absolutely beautiful. If I had to lose weight (actually, if anything, I need to gain weight) as well, a spreadsheet like this would give me more motivation.

Numbers, tables & graphs (l)
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 30th, 2018, 2:59 pm

up and up and up. approaching 190 lbs / 86.4 K Hope fall comes so I can go out for some real walks. Cabin fever causes grazing.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 1st, 2018, 6:18 am

Today I finished my second round of Insanity Max 30! The last workout was the very first workout and I MADE IT THROUGH THE WHOLE 30 MINUTES WITHOUT TAKING A BREAK (aside from scheduled water breaks). I was only doing the modifier, but I've never made it through any of the workouts without having to stop and take a rest at some point so I'm feeling pretty proud. I've also had a problem with an ingrown toenail for the last 4 days but didn't stop me doing my workouts. My official weigh-in day for the end of this round is Monday, but I lost 5.5kg and 23cm from the first round, and as of today, 7.6kg and 13.5cm from the second.

Also this progress:

21st May/1st September
Image Image

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » September 1st, 2018, 8:56 am

SpoilerShow
nimimerkillinen wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 10:58 am
nimimerkillinen wrote:
December 16th, 2017, 3:27 pm
nimimerkillinen on Apr 27 2017, 01:03:52 AM wrote:179.5cm
7.2015 66kg
8.2015 83kg
10.8 88kg
3.2016 93kg
8.5.2016 89kg
2.2017 101kg
9.3 99.3kg
11.3 103.2kg :-&
10.4 101.96kg
27.4 99.9kg

100 kilograms =
220.462262 pounds
at around 89kg now
not easy to to lose weight on neuroleptics + winter
got down to 85.x at some point
atm 30.7.18 94.6kg cutting down beer and wine to max once every three weeks, that should help! also changing diet + going for walks
was 96.9kg 29.8
i thik ill cut alcohol to once a month now
too bad its rain season so not so fun to walk and my head cant take much lifting and stuff

monty

Post by monty » September 1st, 2018, 6:35 pm

Blind girl meets her gym hero - cute or creepy?

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/a ... svvp9.webm

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » September 6th, 2018, 7:13 am

Not much change in weight in the last week(s). I stabilized at around 69 kilo.

But I had a major (for me) breakthrough in my running performance. I ran 10 km in under 1 hour for the first time yesterday. That was my big running goal before the bad weather seasons starts this year, and I'm kinda proud that I reached it so early.

However I'm a bit lost what my next running goal should be. Cause usually runners tend to aim for the half-marathon as the next big goalpost, but I have little motivation for that. I don't think i enjoy running enough that I want to train for that, casue that's just some long-ass running.
I think I just keep trying to better my pace for the 10k or try to better my one hour distance for now.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » September 6th, 2018, 7:58 am

I know you like swimming as well, so how about training for an aquathlon?

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » September 6th, 2018, 8:10 am

I actually thought about adding cycling to the mix and perhaps see a (Olympic distance, casue fuck Iron man) triathlon in my future.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 10th, 2018, 2:32 am

I'm starting my new fitness routine today, first day of C25K today. I also switched from the Reddit Recommended Routine to Strong Curves (Best Butt Bodyweight), since it's the 'woman' version, for my lifting which I start tomorrow. Bit scared because I have to venture out the back for the treadmill and I'm used to the comfort and warmth of my own room. Need to buy some warmer workout clothes, I guess, but the clothes I'm wearing in the progress pics I've had since 2009 when I first started losing weight and I don't want new ones lol. My recovery week sort of turned into cheat week, although I was always in a deficit, I went over my caloric and deficit goal every day and I kind of feel really blurgh now but just gotta get back into routine.

I weighed and measured myself today. So, first day of this:
Weight: 82.8kg
Chest: 106cm
Waist: 87cm
Hips: 111cm
L/R Bicep: 27.5/26.5cm
L/R Thigh: 62/62cm

I've also found myself noticing fat people and 'fat logic' everywhere. Yesterday for example, I really wanted McDonald's breakfast so we were in the queue for Macca's and Monopoly is back so there was a screen advertising it. WIN BIG. GO LARGE. BUY MORE TO WIN. I just lost it laughing. Normally I ignore all ads and stuff, but now it's like They Live and I see it all. Win what? Obesity? At KFC; "24 nuggets for $10". I always wondered who could eat 24 nuggets by themselves and apparently in my household, it's everyone but me. I went to a milk bar with my boyfriend recently and spent about 10 mins deciding on what was the lowest calorie + tastiest option, then the guy asks if I want to upgrade it to a large for just 50c. FFS. I want to save the 50c and extra 200 calories, thank you. Everything wants to make us fat.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 12th, 2018, 5:15 am

Just did my 2nd day of C25K. I might change my mind later, but at the moment I really like it and actually look forward to it. It says to jog, not run and walk slow, but man I just wanna pound the ground. I sometimes put the speed on the treadmill up for the runs if I really just wanna go. When I did it the other day I had a weird moment where I was on the treadmill but grabbed my phone to select a song, put it back down and looked up and it was suddenly raining. It is really cold outside, but I think I actually like being out there more than indoors. Hamstrings are hurting a bit right now, so I should probably add a stretch before I start.

I also did my first day of Strong Curves yesterday. I felt like I didn't really do much, especially as my Fitbit said I burnt about 1/3 of the calories I did during the run/IM:30. But I can feel it in my arms today. My form is pretty bad for some of the moves, like the side lying abductions or whatever, I was just rolling around like an idiot and couldn't stay up straight, so I guess I need to concentrate on that a bit more. I feel like I'm just testing out the moves right now, but once I get used to them it should feel more effective.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » September 12th, 2018, 6:01 pm

mightysparks wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 5:15 am
Hamstrings are hurting a bit right now, so I should probably add a stretch before I start.
Good idea. A stretch afterward could also help.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » September 13th, 2018, 8:11 am

Yeah, I also recommend stretching after doing stregth training. I sometime want to skip it, and I always regret it the next day when I do. Makes a ton of difference in the regeneration aspect for me.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 16th, 2018, 11:31 am

Does anyone else use Fitbit and want to add me: https://www.fitbit.com/user/2CC58G? Need to get my steps up and looking for competition since only 2 people on my friends list move lol.

I decided today to get 10k steps every day no excuses, and I've struggled. I'm only at 9000 right now. I cleaned my room, I did 3 loads of washing, I raked up two big garbage bags of leaves from the neighbours tree and I've endlessly paced around my room and the house. It's so hard to move, I'm so lazy ugh.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » September 16th, 2018, 6:53 pm

10k steps is actually not little, especially without a job that does require you to walk a lot. It takes quite a bit of effort to get to that number.
I usually don't get there on a regular day, only when I run or when I hike, and I walk everywhere. But "everyhwere" is not much when work and supermarkets are in the neighbourhood.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 16th, 2018, 11:37 pm

My average steps a day when I started was about 1500, and that’s what I get on a normal day with no cardio. Everything extra is effort! If I have a long job I tend to get a lot but I have no idea how many steps are just from picking up products and finding barcodes. 30 mins on treadmill gives me about 4000 so on the cardio days now it’s a lot easier to hit closer to 10k. Occasionally I go for a walk to the shop but if I need to buy a lot I can’t carry it home so mostly drive. Ended up getting my last 1k pacing around my room. Worth it for being able to hit my 4th mini goal this morning after a week of static weight.

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » September 17th, 2018, 12:34 pm

I started to walk 10k steps a day about 4 years ago.
That was not a very hard effort as my walk from home to my job at that time was about 7k steps, so I did walk a little bit during my lunch break.
Then I quit my job and my walk to my new job was reduced to 5k steps, but I walk a little more during my lunch break.
So I keep being a little bit over 10k steps a day (except most of the week-ends).