Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Getting Healthy: Support and Discussion

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I'm sorry i ranted / vented that much. But at least now you might understand it better. I think this will be something that haunts me for the rest of my life. And my life story sounds crazy, but there are people whose story sounds even crazier, and probably a lot of them, and perhaps they do a better job in building their lives decently. Well i can't and i'm pretty much exhausted at this point.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Laki -- Yours is a very sad, very compelling story. I don't really know what to write in the face of so much suffering other than offer my sympathy and support, which I am sure goes for the rest of the forum as well. I hope you can take some pride and comfort in knowing that you have come so far from your worst moments.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

thank you very much. I appreciate that.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

:hug: I don’t know what to say but don’t feel sorry about venting here, that’s a lot of stuff to deal with and we’re here to support you :hug:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

That's all I can say as well. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

I'm glad you used this space to post how you are feeling and some things from the past. Please feel free to post again like this if it helps you. I think it is difficult to find helpful words to reply with but people are reading and we do support you and I am glad you shared. I'm sorry to hear about everything and I wish I could find something more helpful to say.

PM me if you want to move these posts.

:hug:
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

Lakigigar wrote: January 18th, 2021, 8:59 am I'm sorry i ranted / vented that much. But at least now you might understand it better. I think this will be something that haunts me for the rest of my life. And my life story sounds crazy, but there are people whose story sounds even crazier, and probably a lot of them, and perhaps they do a better job in building their lives decently. Well i can't and i'm pretty much exhausted at this point.
Treatments for mild depression are simple, sleeping 8 hours every night, at the same time, eating a balanced diet, refraining from alcohol and other narcotics, exercising, being outdoors in nature as much as possible, avoiding thinking about oneself (depression is literally a fixation with thinking about yourself). A lot of your efforts to be happy seem to revolve around dopamine, but dopamine is one of 4 types of chemical happiness and you are missing the others. Endorphin is from exercise, oxytocin from love, serotonin from living well / adulting. Mashing away at the dopamine button all the time is really damaging.

The silver bullet for hitting all 4 buttons is a dog, assuming you have no allergies or trauma related aversion to dogs.

This may feel too normie / unsophisticated for you, but it's how you can stay alive, and life is good. Take it from me, I suffered from depression for 15 years, and am over it now.

Starving yourself can have long term consequenes, my cousin had a stroke at age 30 related to her eating disorder as a 20 year old.

If you're self harming or thinking of suicide you need to see a professional. A lot of people are doing ketamine therapy now which is a ray of hope. And remember the longer you survive the more new treatments there are. Ketamine works because it stops self-awareness, whilst on it you become a creature of pure perception, like most animals. Thinking about yourself all the time is very dangerous. That's why your rant is alarming. Don't take this as a cue to do ket recreationally.