Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Getting Healthy: Support and Discussion

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Who are the people stopping you from studying and immersing yourself further in art? Both sound like great ideas to learn, grow and develop yourself. I hope you are able to do both. Covid does put a big damper on things of course, but it also creates more opportunities. For instance, work, and standalone jobs, can be done remote at a greater degree than before. Almost any skill you have can be used to build-up some extra income, which in turn can be used for added independence. There are, as you say, many different life choices. Not sure if homeless is one of the better ones ( ;) ) but you can always travel to completely different countries (once Covid is over) and do things you may not have thought you'd do. If you ever feel like something drastic needs to happen, changing something for yourself - new hobby/activity for instance, may be good. Workouts are often particularly useful, including just walks and runs - and of course, as you say, film, music, art always helps.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I'd add to what Gloede has said and say that you're extreme lucky in Belgium to have great travel options. I can't leave my own country (except by plane) unless I want a nice, long swim in the ocean. :D
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I'm still struggling with getting my diet under control. I've become a bit of an alcoholic the last few months usually drinking every night and then eating everything in sight. My anxiety has been getting increasingly terrible over the last year and food and alcohol is my go-to coping mechanism. I've been trying to make an effort recently to stop and I'm good for a few days and then my boyfriend will come home with alcohol and snacks and then I unravel for the next few days. He's a bit of a bad influence lol and he's aware of it but he has his own struggles. I'm probably gonna have to make him stop bringing things home.

However, I've been keeping up on my exercise and I'm pretty proud of myself for sticking to it. I have one week left of Fitness Blender's Flex & Booty and I've stuck to strength training for about 2 months (with a few extra rest days). This month's calendar:

I haven't made huge leaps in my strength or muscle gain but last May/June I started getting neck pain and it has lasted the whole time up until a month ago and I'm pretty sure it's because of the exercise. I'm starting to feel my triceps coming out and my form is getting better with certain moves etc. I'm still very weak and am not using more than 5kg dumbbells for any move. Once I can get a hold of my drinking and binging I hope to make more improvement. I'm starting to enjoy lifting now. I've struggled to get into it for the last few years but now I'm starting to 'get' it. I HATE lunges though. Curtsy lunges especially, just no no no!
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

I'm not trying to lose weight but I am trying to get fitter. Have been doing 10k+ steps for a while now. I've now done it 21 days in-a-row and hope to continue. It's especially helping me at on days like today where I wouldn't have been doing anything and went for a long walk and ended up doing 17k steps.

I'd also like to actually try to do workouts etc. I have pretty much 0 muscles and have been like this all my life. The idea of going to a gym scares the hell out of me (hooray for anxiety). Is it realistic to do anything at home? I literally have no idea where to start or what to do.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

AdamH wrote: May 9th, 2021, 9:18 pm I'm not trying to lose weight but I am trying to get fitter. Have been doing 10k+ steps for a while now. I've now done it 21 days in-a-row and hope to continue. It's especially helping me at on days like today where I wouldn't have been doing anything and went for a long walk and ended up doing 17k steps.

I'd also like to actually try to do workouts etc. I have pretty much 0 muscles and have been like this all my life. The idea of going to a gym scares the hell out of me (hooray for anxiety). Is it realistic to do anything at home? I literally have no idea where to start or what to do.
I'd start with push-ups. They're not hard to do and they help strengthen multiple muscle groups at the same time.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Lammetje wrote: May 9th, 2021, 9:46 pm
AdamH wrote: May 9th, 2021, 9:18 pm I'm not trying to lose weight but I am trying to get fitter. Have been doing 10k+ steps for a while now. I've now done it 21 days in-a-row and hope to continue. It's especially helping me at on days like today where I wouldn't have been doing anything and went for a long walk and ended up doing 17k steps.

I'd start with push-ups. They're not hard to do and they help strengthen multiple muscle groups at the same time.
Haha, tried them in the past. What a disaster. tehe I guess I can try to actually do them properly.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

AdamH wrote: May 9th, 2021, 10:02 pm
Lammetje wrote: May 9th, 2021, 9:46 pm

Haha, tried them in the past. What a disaster. tehe I guess I can try to actually do them properly.
If regular pushups are too hard, you can try doing incline pushups (put your hands on anything that's higher than the floor). They're like pushups, but easier. Within a week or two, you'll probably be able to do regular pushups.

You can also try squats. Squats can be done at home with no equipment. If they become too easy, you can do them while holding weights.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

There’s plenty you can do at home, I do everything at home. There are a lot of YouTube channels with workouts and there’s also r/bodyweight on Reddit. They have a recommended routine on there which is quite simple and easy to follow but you do have to do a bit of research.

I do Fitness Blender workouts. All their videos are free but you can pay for programs that organize which videos to do which day. But if not a good way is to do a different muscle group every day: lower body, upper body, core, lower body, upper body, optional stretch, rest day. I have a set of 2kg and 3kg dumbbells plus my boyfriend bought a 50kg barbell/dumbbell set but I mostly stick to my dumbbells because I’m weak. If you can’t do any pushups, bodyweight will be more than enough for now but 2-3kg dumbbells would also be good (I can only do a few knee pushups and I’ve been working out for a few months...)

I finished their Strong program last month and I have the last day of Flex today and Booty tomorrow. I won a gift card the other day so I’m using it on their plus membership to check out those challenges. I’m a big fan of their workouts and find them pretty fun.

Edit: Also eat a good amount of protein. Most sources seem to have ridiculous numbers but I average 60-100g a day and it's fine, just means muscle building is a little slower. If you eat meat though, two servings a day will probably be a good amount.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT