Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1978 (Results), Red Planet: Essential Cinema (Results), Western (Jul 30th), 2020 (Aug 29th)
Challenges: Run the Actor, Travel the World, Iran and Central Asia

The Breakup Parlour

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

I think ghosting is a terrible behaviour, and I wouldn't want to have anything to do with someone who can behave in this manner.

Breaking up is a difficult thing, but I feel you owe it to yourself to behave in an honorable fashion. Things don't work between you and the other one, well, that's not someone's fault, these things are not something you control, and not really something you decide either. You didn't feel the alchemy, that's too bad, just let the other know and both can move on to look for someone else.

In that light, however awful ghosting feels to me, when that happens to me I feel grateful : finding out right away about the other person's being an asshole saves me the pain of finding that out later on, at a bigger cost.

I didn't date for long, really, mostly when I broke up with my wife. I needed to find out whether someone else could find an interest in me, as I felt so down I thought I couldn't interest anyone anymore... Too old, too fat, too ugly, too involved in movie watching, you name it... But as xianjiro said, "people are so different, emotional reactions are so unpredictable, so just about anything can happen given the infinite number of pairings possible". I found that out to be true, I found people that I liked, others that liked me, this really boosted me up.
I didn't take dating game as a job interview, rather as a game, you sometimes play games with total strangers, some you dislike, some you appreciate, and sometimes even befriend. I tried to make it fun for me at least as much as for the other person. It didn't always work out, but it was always interesting, sometimes a little awkward, funny or scary, I surprised myself.

Still, I really prefer building relationships, and I am now in one. As for dogs, my breed is the PBGV (Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen), a breed from the place I always go to for vacation. I had 2 of those before, loved both deeply, and am picking a cub in a few days, called Saruman (Saru for friends). I am really impatient to meet the little guy in person.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

:folded:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

:thumbsup: cool, @cinephage!
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

cinephage wrote: June 16th, 2021, 11:04 pm In that light, however awful ghosting feels to me, when that happens to me I feel grateful : finding out right away about the other person's being an asshole saves me the pain of finding that out later on, at a bigger cost.
This. I thought of this directly after the 2nd guy ghosted me... if there are communication problems before you even meet the other person, then who knows how that might negatively impact things in the future. And I'm a stickler for good communication skills because poor or lack thereof is the root cause of so many problems, both dating and etc. WORK I'm looking at you! :angry: