Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 34 released August 1st: Get to Know the New Hosts
ICMForum Manager Cup signup
Polls: Red Planet: Essential Cinema (Results), Western (Results), 2020 (Aug 29th)
Challenges: <400, Korean, Action/Adventure

The Breakup Parlour

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

The Breakup Parlour

#1

Post by xianjiro »

Nope, we don't seem to have a breakup thread - until today. However, I read this article today about breaking up and ghosting and am curious how others react to it.

You’re Going to Get Ghosted This Summer. May I Propose a Solution?

Okay, most of the article is about how the author dealt with her ghosting breakup, so don't let the headline fool you into expecting advice, but I'm still curious how folks react.

Oh, and btw, if you want to talk about breakups past, present, or future, here's a pretty good place to do it!
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#2

Post by peeptoad »

I hate dating but might have some break ups/ ghosts to talk about in the near future esp. since I just put myself back out there on a dating site. Ugh. I'm already having doubts based on an interaction i just had with a guy I've been messaging for 2 weeks. Think I might be better off single and getting a dog. :rolleyes:
User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 9148
Joined: June 7th, 2016, 6:00 am
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#3

Post by maxwelldeux »

I hear you, peeps. I said to myself at one point during dating my wife that either it works out, or I'm done.

I do have to admit that I did ghost a woman once. We had gone out on like four dates, but hadn't even kissed. Like, worst body language ever - she was impossible to kiss, I swear. But somehow I met her parents? I went home for Christmas break that year and just... stopped talking to her.
From the article wrote:I didn’t want him to change his mind and go out with me again. I just wanted him to value me enough to break up with me.
That line summed it up for me - I just honestly didn't value her enough as a person to break up with her. You know those women from the Mel Gibson version of "What Women Want" that just had absolutely nothing going on upstairs? As mean as this is to say, that was her. Nothing. She was a nothing person. Inoffensive and nice enough. Just no substance. Some people who knew her and a friend of mine were baffled at what she and I talked about. Ditto.

But the happy ending (well, for me) is that less than a week later, I went on a first date with my now wife. :banana:
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#4

Post by xianjiro »

peeptoad wrote: May 8th, 2021, 1:30 am Think I might be better off single and getting a dog. :rolleyes:
All I can say is, "Works for me!" Literally.

(Says to dog hogging '#1 spot on sofa") Now go lick the monitor like a good boy.

Seriously, I've absolutely given up dating, especially given the way it's (d)evolved into online profiles and apps. I tried to get out in the community to meet someone with zero luck, so I decided to ghost the dating sites and enjoy being single. Not saying it's for everyone, but it never really hurts to be happy in and of yourself. Everything else that might come along could be icing or gravy, depending on your personal taste. ;)
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#5

Post by xianjiro »

Congrats Max! And many happy returns to you and Ms Deux! or is it Ms Welldeux? ;)

One of the things I wonder is if men and women have a different take on what she talked about in the article. I totally get where's she coming from, but after years of, "Give me your number ..." after what would be a one-night stand and even running into them again with their "Do I know you?" look ... I guess I've been 'ghosted' hundreds of times. I know it's not fun, especially when you think you feel something 'special' or at least you thought both parties were enjoying the shared time.

Yeah, absolutely, it would be nice if we were all mature enough to say, "Hey, I've enjoyed it but ... " It's the but ellipsis that gets you most of the time. Not to mention the reaction to perceived rejection.

:whistling: BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO :whistling:

I think it just hard to figure out what to say to people and yes, sometimes we do get busy and mean to get back to another person but it just never happens.

Even with good friends, I can't tell you how many have drifted away over the years no matter the promises to keep in touch or get together next week/month/whatever. It happens. Are friends who you've shared life's ups and downs with excused but somehow someone one has dated a few times or for a few weeks or months deserves an explanation?

I get feeling devalued - and that's what I read in the article. Been there, done that. But is making a scene the best way to counter that?

I'll just mention, I'm not looking for an argument, but would love to read some other POVs just to broaden my thinking. I think the topic is important because how we treat the people around us really matters.
User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 31566
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#6

Post by mightysparks »

I'm still in my first relationship and I've never been on any dates so I don't have any experience with this kind of thing. But I think ghosting is awful and it shouldn't be that hard to just send a text saying 'nah'. My best friend ghosted me though and I figured he was just busy so I didn't care until I realised he was actually ghosting me because he'd chosen to be friends with the super douchebag and felt too guilty to keep talking to me. Finding that out was the worst I'd ever felt in my life. When he finally messaged me years later to 'apologise' his apology just sounded like that guy in the article 'I'm sorry you feel that way' instead of 'I'm sorry for my horrible choices'.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | LastFM | TSZDT

Image
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#7

Post by peeptoad »

xianjiro wrote: May 8th, 2021, 2:05 am
peeptoad wrote: May 8th, 2021, 1:30 am Think I might be better off single and getting a dog. :rolleyes:
All I can say is, "Works for me!" Literally.

(Says to dog hogging '#1 spot on sofa") Now go lick the monitor like a good boy.

Seriously, I've absolutely given up dating, especially given the way it's (d)evolved into online profiles and apps. I tried to get out in the community to meet someone with zero luck, so I decided to ghost the dating sites and enjoy being single. Not saying it's for everyone, but it never really hurts to be happy in and of yourself. Everything else that might come along could be icing or gravy, depending on your personal taste. ;)
Yeah, think I'm more icing than gravy... I also have a lot of stuff I want and can do in life and the wherewithal to do it. London (UK) and a Belgian malinois might be in my future. I hate ghosting. I'd rather someone just told me the blunt truth either which way, but people don't seem to have the stones these days or it's just not the norm. I experience this with scheduling and stuff at work too. Like I always say/think, "no response is not an answer ". And it only really takes 5 seconds on average to respond. :rolleyes:
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#8

Post by peeptoad »

maxwelldeux wrote: May 8th, 2021, 1:55 am I hear you, peeps. I said to myself at one point during dating my wife that either it works out, or I'm done.
You're lucky. Don't take it for granted. The guy I was most likely going to marry died, so it is what it is...
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#9

Post by xianjiro »

peeptoad wrote: May 8th, 2021, 2:50 am
Yeah, think I'm more icing than gravy... I also have a lot of stuff I want and can do in life and the wherewithal to do it. London (UK) and a Belgian malinois might be in my future. I hate ghosting. I'd rather someone just told me the blunt truth either which way, but people don't seem to have the stones these days or it's just not the norm. I experience this with scheduling and stuff at work too. Like I always say/think, "no response is not an answer ". And it only really takes 5 seconds on average to respond. :rolleyes:
one of my neighbors is a malinois x I think with alligator cause her owner says she's a maligator

"no response is not an answer " :rolleyes: I deal with this a lot more than I'm comfortable with. "So, when are we getting together next week?" - "We talked about Tuesday, but something came up. Let's do Thursday." If we'd agreed to meet and Restaurant X, I swear the whole time I'm headed there I'd be like, "Am I gunna get stood up?" Imagine what's in my mind if the other person's running late.

That is one useful reason to have someone pick me up (I haven't driven in about a decade). I don't like not being able to go on my own via transit - walking's even better - but I hate going to the trouble and getting stood up. I'd rather be stood up in the comfort of my own home.

Luckily this doesn't happen that much, but I'm so on board with "Sounds great!"
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#10

Post by xianjiro »

peeptoad wrote: May 8th, 2021, 3:00 am
maxwelldeux wrote: May 8th, 2021, 1:55 am I hear you, peeps. I said to myself at one point during dating my wife that either it works out, or I'm done.
You're lucky. Don't take it for granted. The guy I was most likely going to marry died, so it is what it is...
so sorry to read that

:hug: :hug: :hug:
User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 9148
Joined: June 7th, 2016, 6:00 am
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#11

Post by maxwelldeux »

peeptoad wrote: May 8th, 2021, 3:00 am
maxwelldeux wrote: May 8th, 2021, 1:55 am I hear you, peeps. I said to myself at one point during dating my wife that either it works out, or I'm done.
You're lucky. Don't take it for granted. The guy I was most likely going to marry died, so it is what it is...
Goodness you're a barrel of laughs on the dating front... ;)

But I get it. I mean, Wife has some increased Covid risk factors, so I've been terrified to leave my house for 15 months now. And her projection is not one of those super-long-life treks. So I know I have to appreciate what I have. I just know I don't envy you - dating sucks and is hard. Worse even for women, and I don't even want to imagine that.
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#12

Post by peeptoad »

Yeah, sorry, I probably shouldn't have posted that; I was getting a little pissed off...and off topic. This is supposed to be the ghost/breakup thread not the dating and death sucks thread.

xianjiro wrote: May 8th, 2021, 3:16 am one of my neighbors is a malinois x I think with alligator cause her owner says she's a maligator
sounds like a Malinois I knew in the past... part mal/part weasel/part gator. They rock!
User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 21448
Joined: October 24th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#13

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

I got my first kiss and 27 and lost my virginity at 28 which is a case if being an incredibly late bloomer. I tried dating under the idea that I was the ugliest and mode useless guy ever. During my bad mental health I almost attempted suicide because someone ghosted me, but it turns out she answered the next day and said yes.

Looking back at it I did have a red flag when dating and it's when they find out the condition of my mental health which sucks but I totally get. I still think I am really ugly but I dated people completely out of my league so I must be wrong.
User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 7309
Joined: December 23rd, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#14

Post by Onderhond »

peeptoad wrote: May 8th, 2021, 2:50 am I'd rather someone just told me the blunt truth either which way
The problem is that many people say this, but few people mean it. I'm a rather blunt person, and I can tell you many people really don't appreciate the truth all that much.
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#15

Post by peeptoad »

Yea, well I mean it. Maybe that's part of the problem... no one believes that I actually mean it. Blunt does not equate to rude, but a clear, definitive response is I guess what I'm referring to.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#16

Post by xianjiro »

maxwelldeux wrote: May 8th, 2021, 7:06 am Worse even for women, and I don't even want to imagine that.
What? (D:) You don't want to imagine dating women? :o :think:
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#17

Post by xianjiro »

peeptoad wrote: May 8th, 2021, 11:39 am Yeah, sorry, I probably shouldn't have posted that; I was getting a little pissed off...and off topic. This is supposed to be the ghost/breakup thread not the dating and death sucks thread.
xianjiro wrote: May 8th, 2021, 3:16 am one of my neighbors is a malinois x I think with alligator cause her owner says she's a maligator
sounds like a Malinois I knew in the past... part mal/part weasel/part gator. They rock!
Yeah, actually she's a great dog, but I don't have to live with her. Especially before I made the change in animal companions, her owner would ask if I wanted to switch. See, my girl at that time was ancient and about as mellow as a dog can be (until there were fireworks, then she was a nervous wreck) and his dog was chomping her way through just about everything in/including the house. The joke became, has she chewed up your (stainless steel kitchen) sink yet? As long as you know what to expect ... I sure didn't when she moved in as a puppy (to the neighborhood). But she is the only dog in the world I can trust with my foxy terrorist - he attacks EVERYTHING including pitties and rotties AT THE SAME TIME!

Slate has a headline "Help! My Friend Is In an Abusive Relationship With Her Dog." I'm too afraid to open it, but we're working on it. It's just so hard when you've got no idea why they are like that (shelter surrender 'rescue'). But there have been a couple times when I had to ask myself just what would be the breaking point in our relationship. So I did think about breaking up with my current dog, but honestly can't imagine it. We're much too close now. He still growls when I wake him up, but now it's like "oh. wait. It's you. Never mind." He can get a bit pissed off at night though...

BTW, what was pissing you off? Something outside of the thread or the article or our responses?
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#18

Post by xianjiro »

Onderhond wrote: May 8th, 2021, 11:49 am
peeptoad wrote: May 8th, 2021, 2:50 am I'd rather someone just told me the blunt truth either which way
The problem is that many people say this, but few people mean it. I'm a rather blunt person, and I can tell you many people really don't appreciate the truth all that much.
Image

reminds me of two scenes in Tootsie: in the above, Julie tells Dorothy something like - I'd like it if a man didn't use a line, if he just be honest and told me what he wants to do (as in, sexually) then later Michael comes up to Julie in a bar, does exactly what she said, so she slaps him and leaves. (I can't remember if Julie knows yet that Michael is Dorothy.)
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#19

Post by xianjiro »

peeptoad wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:45 pm Yea, well I mean it. Maybe that's part of the problem... no one believes that I actually mean it. Blunt does not equate to rude, but a clear, definitive response is I guess what I'm referring to.
yeah, but the problem is knowing who is whom and when is the right time (to be honest).

I know there have been a couple times when I wanted to sit down and say, I just need to move on, after dating for a short time, but didn't really know how to do it. And yes, it was about my shortcomings in being able to find the right words. I know one big reason was the person I was dating reminded me too much of my ex and especially because I knew they were much more interested in me than I was in them.

I'm pretty intellectual and could probably have such a discussion with someone if we saw each other as intellectual equals, but it just never works out. There's always this imbalance that just doesn't work because the perception of the imbalance (on both sides).

I also know I;n not a big fan of, "Okay, now that I know what 'the problem' is, I'll change ..." Trust me, that's not much fun to work with either. "No, I said I want to break up, not work on a relationship that just isn't happening for me."

Worst part, we can talk about right/wrong good/bad approaches to the conversation here and elsewhere, but there really isn't any prepping for it: people are so different, emotional reactions are so unpredictable, so just about anything can happen given the infinite number of pairings possible.
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#20

Post by peeptoad »

xianjiro wrote: May 8th, 2021, 5:59 pm
peeptoad wrote: May 8th, 2021, 11:39 am Yeah, sorry, I probably shouldn't have posted that; I was getting a little pissed off...and off topic. This is supposed to be the ghost/breakup thread not the dating and death sucks thread.
xianjiro wrote: May 8th, 2021, 3:16 am one of my neighbors is a malinois x I think with alligator cause her owner says she's a maligator
sounds like a Malinois I knew in the past... part mal/part weasel/part gator. They rock!
Yeah, actually she's a great dog, but I don't have to live with her. Especially before I made the change in animal companions, her owner would ask if I wanted to switch. See, my girl at that time was ancient and about as mellow as a dog can be (until there were fireworks, then she was a nervous wreck) and his dog was chomping her way through just about everything in/including the house. The joke became, has she chewed up your (stainless steel kitchen) sink yet? As long as you know what to expect ... I sure didn't when she moved in as a puppy (to the neighborhood). But she is the only dog in the world I can trust with my foxy terrorist - he attacks EVERYTHING including pitties and rotties AT THE SAME TIME!

Slate has a headline "Help! My Friend Is In an Abusive Relationship With Her Dog." I'm too afraid to open it, but we're working on it. It's just so hard when you've got no idea why they are like that (shelter surrender 'rescue'). But there have been a couple times when I had to ask myself just what would be the breaking point in our relationship. So I did think about breaking up with my current dog, but honestly can't imagine it. We're much too close now. He still growls when I wake him up, but now it's like "oh. wait. It's you. Never mind." He can get a bit pissed off at night though...

BTW, what was pissing you off? Something outside of the thread or the article or our responses?
Yeah I know what to expect with mals. I used to work for a dog trainer who sort of specialized in Malinois, shepherds and Dobes. The mals were my favorites. They're "fast twitch" dogs, but I can handle them and I've got the physical energy level for them, at least right now. In 10 years when I can actually get a dog I might not, but my work schedule precludes it right now.
Nobody here or anything to do with the forum was pissing me off. The dating site I joined a few weeks ago, or rather an individual I had been conversing with on it, is what pissed me off. We'd been seemingly getting along quite well via messages and guy suddenly and completely changed his tone, and actually insulted me a couple of times in his latest contact. Almost like someone else signed into his account or something or maybe he was drunk or found someone better or something... people are whack.

And that scene in Tootsie is before Julie knows Michael is Dorothy. ;) It occurs at a party at someone's house that he (as Michael) goes to with Teri Garr's character and Julie throws a drink in his face. Love that film.
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#21

Post by peeptoad »

xianjiro wrote: May 8th, 2021, 6:26 pm Worst part, we can talk about right/wrong good/bad approaches to the conversation here and elsewhere, but there really isn't any prepping for it: people are so different, emotional reactions are so unpredictable, so just about anything can happen given the infinite number of pairings possible.
This is true. It's one of the big "ad libs" in life... and with the most unpredictable and occasionally hostile species on the planet to boot. :lol:
User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 10529
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

#22

Post by Knaldskalle »

Occasionally? Seems more like the default setting.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 7309
Joined: December 23rd, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#23

Post by Onderhond »

Knaldskalle wrote: May 8th, 2021, 7:13 pm Occasionally? Seems more like the default setting.
Nah.
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#24

Post by peeptoad »

Got ghosted by one guy recently (and after he essentially nagged me for about a week into responding to his messages), but I am supposed to meet another guy in about a week. I ain't crossing my fingers, but he seems nice and we've been messaging since the end of April... :shrug:
User avatar
prodigalgodson
Posts: 912
Joined: July 30th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

#25

Post by prodigalgodson »

Bummer pt...:( Good luck with the next one!
User avatar
kongs_speech
Posts: 1902
Joined: April 4th, 2020, 10:32 pm
Location: FL
Contact:

#26

Post by kongs_speech »

peeptoad wrote: June 7th, 2021, 12:35 pm Got ghosted by one guy recently (and after he essentially nagged me for about a week into responding to his messages), but I am supposed to meet another guy in about a week. I ain't crossing my fingers, but he seems nice and we've been messaging since the end of April... :shrug:
So sorry to hear that! You deserve better. :hug:
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Image
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#27

Post by xianjiro »

nice thing about men - they are like superhero movies: there's a new one premiering every other week
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#28

Post by peeptoad »

lol, xianjiro

And thanks pgs and kong... it's no big deal really. If I never find someone I'm okay with it at this point. I have a lot I want to do in life yet (and rather specifically too), and finding someone that matches up with that is going to be rather difficult I think. And I'm not willing to give up on my life's interests, so... I see a sort of impasse looming.
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#29

Post by peeptoad »

peeptoad wrote: June 7th, 2021, 12:35 pm Got ghosted by one guy recently (and after he essentially nagged me for about a week into responding to his messages), but I am supposed to meet another guy in about a week. I ain't crossing my fingers, but he seems nice and we've been messaging since the end of April... :shrug:
The guy I made plans with ghosted me as well. We messaged 2-3 times a week for 6 weeks and as soon as we made plans to meet and hang out he went MIA. Needless to say I am through with the dating app. Going back to the old school way of meeting people, which means it'll never happen, but if it does it'll prob be a 1000% better experience.
User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 21448
Joined: October 24th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#30

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

I know it comes across as an odd way of saying it, but dating to me felt like finding a job. It gets almost demeaning with how many times you get ghosted, and that first date is as awkward as a job interview, but in the end the payoff is more than worth it.
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#31

Post by peeptoad »

I don't think that's odd actually... when you date someone you're essentially "interviewing" them for compatibility I guess. I find job interviews far easier and more straightforward though.
Dating is probably worth it for most, but I'm questioning whether it's worth it for me. I am so satisfied by my single existence, my job, my various interests and hobbies that I engage in, etc. I could do with one more close, platonic friend (mainly since my close friends are longstanding and genuine, but really don't have that much in common with me). Plus I can "satisfy" myself pretty easily and efficiently, so I don't even truly need that from someone else. Someone I'm close to that I can cuddle with while watching a movie would be wonderful, but I think I can get that in a dog or cat. :shrug: IDK. It's not really the same though...
User avatar
Lilarcor
Donator
Posts: 3119
Joined: June 14th, 2011, 6:00 am
Contact:

#32

Post by Lilarcor »

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I met my now wife via the internet, I think what was important for us making it was to video call very early on (day 3 after our first texts in our case). Only texting for long stretches of time makes it a bit more scary to finally meet up for me at least.
User avatar
kongs_speech
Posts: 1902
Joined: April 4th, 2020, 10:32 pm
Location: FL
Contact:

#33

Post by kongs_speech »

I'll be single forever. I'm a trans chick stuck in an unattractive male body. Exactly zero people are into that.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Image
User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3871
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#34

Post by Mario Gaborović »

I see it's more talk about dating than breaking up now, so I'll give my 2 cents on this.

I figured out that making connections and sort of a web of acquaintances and then asking around for potential partners to score with is basically everything in this regard, unless you have balls of steel and hit on people wherever you go. That way you're avoiding the pain of rejection almost every time - because you know where the chances are low.

Sadly that's approximately 80% of population, because being in a relationship is a regular state - you're coming from a disadvantaged position. Your pool of interest is about 15% (after ticking off those unattractive or unwilling to 'cooperate') - that's not much if you look at it, but as I said above, asking around before slide-tackling on someone saves time and nerves and that's how you should do it.

In short: we are nothing without the others.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#35

Post by xianjiro »

peeptoad wrote: June 14th, 2021, 11:55 am
peeptoad wrote: June 7th, 2021, 12:35 pm Got ghosted by one guy recently (and after he essentially nagged me for about a week into responding to his messages), but I am supposed to meet another guy in about a week. I ain't crossing my fingers, but he seems nice and we've been messaging since the end of April... :shrug:
The guy I made plans with ghosted me as well. We messaged 2-3 times a week for 6 weeks and as soon as we made plans to meet and hang out he went MIA. Needless to say I am through with the dating app. Going back to the old school way of meeting people, which means it'll never happen, but if it does it'll prob be a 1000% better experience.
:thumbsup: yeah, gave up on dating a couple years back - well, maybe five or so - stopped thinking or counting

wish you "good luck" with the old school, but once you feel comfortable getting out and doing the stuff you enjoy doing, don't see why you shouldn't meet some new people.
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#36

Post by xianjiro »

peeptoad wrote: June 14th, 2021, 12:40 pm Someone I'm close to that I can cuddle with while watching a movie would be wonderful, but I think I can get that in a dog or cat. :shrug: IDK. It's not really the same though...
lol - my last dog wasn't too affectionate, especially after the food was gone for the moment - she had a very independent spirit, rest her soul

but the current guy - well, he's full up against my leg as I type and follows me everywhere. I've never expected that from a dog - none have been like this - but will admit that I've grown very fond of it and even miss fighting with him for space on the bed when he decides to sleep solo in the living room. It's been really reassuring and one nice not "the same" component is I know it comes with no expectations. It's just comfort (he trusts me) and unconditional affection (we're a team). Don't know if it's really "love" - I'm not willing to ascribe that emotion to dogs, thus why I use the word affection.

So in that sense, I get all the physical affection I probably need from another being - but I've never really been demonstrative with my own species without a lot of effort on my part. (Grew up in non-demonstrative households and remember thinking how weird hugging was when first confronted with close family friends after moving to a different state.)
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#37

Post by peeptoad »

xianjiro wrote: June 14th, 2021, 10:07 pm :thumbsup: yeah, gave up on dating a couple years back - well, maybe five or so - stopped thinking or counting

wish you "good luck" with the old school, but once you feel comfortable getting out and doing the stuff you enjoy doing, don't see why you shouldn't meet some new people.
Thanks, yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The pandemic understandably put the kibosh on a lot, but things are opening back up again, so hopefully I can engage a bit more again. But, if not, then eh.
xianjiro wrote: June 14th, 2021, 10:17 pm
peeptoad wrote: June 14th, 2021, 12:40 pm Someone I'm close to that I can cuddle with while watching a movie would be wonderful, but I think I can get that in a dog or cat. :shrug: IDK. It's not really the same though...
lol - my last dog wasn't too affectionate, especially after the food was gone for the moment - she had a very independent spirit, rest her soul

but the current guy - well, he's full up against my leg as I type and follows me everywhere. I've never expected that from a dog - none have been like this - but will admit that I've grown very fond of it and even miss fighting with him for space on the bed when he decides to sleep solo in the living room. It's been really reassuring and one nice not "the same" component is I know it comes with no expectations. It's just comfort (he trusts me) and unconditional affection (we're a team). Don't know if it's really "love" - I'm not willing to ascribe that emotion to dogs, thus why I use the word affection.

So in that sense, I get all the physical affection I probably need from another being - but I've never really been demonstrative with my own species without a lot of effort on my part. (Grew up in non-demonstrative households and remember thinking how weird hugging was when first confronted with close family friends after moving to a different state.)
I'm kind of the same way... grew up rather non-demonstrative (at least on my own, my dad was this way, but my mom was more emotional and overt, but we are all introverts). I used to cringe when my friends and family would hug me when I was younger, but now I'm way more comfortable with it.
Yeah, I love the no expectations and unconditional nature of non-human animals. They are so much more straightforward and less cluttered than humans... way easier to understand and make so much more sense to me. I have no pets right now, but I long for a dog or cat to share space with again. I just cannot do it right now with my current work and life schedule.

Did you have (or currently have) any particular dog breed, or just random?
User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 9751
Joined: June 17th, 2015, 6:00 am
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#38

Post by xianjiro »

peeptoad wrote: June 15th, 2021, 9:28 am Did you have (or currently have) any particular dog breed, or just random?
Yes, he's a foxy terrorist - that's their nickname much like Malinois are called malligators. I didn't seek out a fox terrier, but I did want a "smallish" dog since many apartments that allow dogs limit size to 25 or 35 pounds. But what I found in the shelters were largely pittie mixes and Chihuahua mixes and Chihuahuas are just too small for me.

Not sure if I ever mentioned it, but I went to the shelter to meet a Beagle. Unfortunately someone beat me to him by about 15 minutes. My current dog was on my radar but guess I reacted negatively at first because he was so stressed by the whole shelter environment and being surrendered. It took a couple more weeks of fruitless searching and he was still there waiting for a home. I did some breed research, went back, spent time with him, and decided to bring him home.

I've never been breed particular though all three prior dogs were part German Shephard. That was never intentional and I had hoped to find another mixed breed dog. Who would have imagined me with what is likely a purebred!
User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 3026
Joined: February 4th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#39

Post by peeptoad »

xianjiro wrote: June 15th, 2021, 9:20 pm
peeptoad wrote: June 15th, 2021, 9:28 am Did you have (or currently have) any particular dog breed, or just random?
Yes, he's a foxy terrorist
:lol:
User avatar
Lammetje
Donator
Posts: 4357
Joined: October 4th, 2013, 6:00 am
Location: Poland
Contact:

#40

Post by Lammetje »

peeptoad wrote: June 14th, 2021, 11:55 am
peeptoad wrote: June 7th, 2021, 12:35 pm Got ghosted by one guy recently (and after he essentially nagged me for about a week into responding to his messages), but I am supposed to meet another guy in about a week. I ain't crossing my fingers, but he seems nice and we've been messaging since the end of April... :shrug:
The guy I made plans with ghosted me as well. We messaged 2-3 times a week for 6 weeks and as soon as we made plans to meet and hang out he went MIA. Needless to say I am through with the dating app.
That's awful. :hug:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

Image
OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Post Reply