Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1978 (Results), Red Planet: Essential Cinema (Results), Western (Jul 30th), 2020 (Aug 29th)
Challenges: Run the Actor, Travel the World, Iran and Central Asia

Do you eat meat?

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

peeptoad wrote: May 27th, 2021, 9:45 pm Most non dairy cheeses make me gag mightily but this one wasn't bad. I used it in tacos-
Make that most vegan/non-dairy items make me gag...not just the cheeses. Just walked to the store (and I put on one sock and the corresponding shoe and then the other yet again without thinking) and had intended to try vegan sour cream for my Cubano black beans and rice. As I was reading the ingredient list on the label I noticed the container was leaking and the smell alone made me nauseous. Fortunately that was before I bought it, so back on the shelf it went. I'm sticking to chili lime sauce and maybe avocado for my recipe instead.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

sebby wrote: January 18th, 2021, 8:19 am I only buy vegan alternative products a few times a year but I recently bought cheese slices since they were heavily discounted. Made grilled cheese with them and they actually melted like cow cheese and tasted great too. It's been so long since I had cow cheese that maybe I don't remember exactly how it tastes, but this one was closer than any vegan alternative I remember trying. Off the top of my head I don't remember the brand, but the packaging across the line is minimalist, dark blue, and the name is something lazy and generic like vegan life foods. Worth checking out.

Edit: It's violife. Here's a link to the ones I tried. https://www.amazon.com/Violife-Just-Lik ... merReviews
Just tried a packet of the Violife Cheddar - got it at Freddies, but maybe other Kroger stores are carrying it too?

Anyway, have to say it's the best of the three I've tried. Like how it melts. Tastes good though I wouldn't mind if it was a bit stronger in flavor. Thought I'd read about it here.

Just wish vegan 'cheese' wasn't so expensive. ;)
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

xianjiro wrote: June 13th, 2021, 6:20 pm Just wish vegan 'cheese' wasn't so expensive. ;)
Vegan cheese is cheep if you make it yourself.

I'm not sure about cheddar, but I've tried recipes for vegan mozzarella and vegan ricotta.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

peeptoad wrote: June 13th, 2021, 3:27 pm
peeptoad wrote: May 27th, 2021, 9:45 pm Most non dairy cheeses make me gag mightily but this one wasn't bad. I used it in tacos-
Make that most vegan/non-dairy items make me gag...not just the cheeses.
Is it the flavor? Do others smell bad to you? I'm kinda curious what's going on.

Can't say I've had the same reaction. I did try this one 'cream cheese' which made me think of spreading Crisco on my toast but it works better when I want to add a sense of "creamed" to something. Not sure I'll buy it much though.

Haven't tried any of non-dairy yoghurts though - there it was the price that made me gag. Luckily a friend used to work with a more experienced vegan and she sent me a recipe for soy yoghurt that I make in my knock-off Instant Pot. Will say I had to adjust to the taste and thinner consistency as I was used to a really good, locally made yoghurt that I had been eating for decades. (I use it as my starter and the dog enjoys it on his brekkies. He's probably against going vegan.)

With all this stuff though, I've just found it's much harder if I expect something to be the equal of what I was used to. Remember Vegiburgers? Like anyone could confuse that with the worst fast food hamburger (let alone a high quality one). Won't say it made me gag, but I just had to refocus my expectations. LOL. A lot!

Is dairy important to you? I'm not sure which I've found more difficult to forego - wheat or dairy. Pfft red meat - that was easy, can't say I ever really missed it (but that's partly because I still eat fish and fowl). Oh, I'll probably succumb to temptation when I find a bit of Stilton or Brie that isn't one of those stupid huge sections, but that would require a trip to stores I don't frequent anymore.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

xianjiro wrote: June 13th, 2021, 6:37 pm
peeptoad wrote: June 13th, 2021, 3:27 pm
Make that most vegan/non-dairy items make me gag...not just the cheeses.
Is it the flavor? Do others smell bad to you? I'm kinda curious what's going on.
Hard to say. Seems to be a combo of the smell, flavor and texture depending on the exact product. The vegan sour cream smelled to me like warm sour cream poured into a gym sock and left to sit for awhile. I think it must be whatever they use to get the "cultured" flavor with the base of oil, etc that it's made out of. The cheeses Ive tried for the most part have a texture that makes me gag, but also to a far lesser extent they smell somewhat like the sc did. Awhile back I ordered a vegan pizza from a place that had vegan mozzarella on it and on one slice the "cheese" was a bit thicker and I actually had to spit the bite I took out into the garbage. Once I picked off most of the cheese it was more palatable. The only product I actually like it the vegan butter. but I barely ever use it since it's only on toast and I tend to eat that with either peanut butter or avocado. It's pretty empty calories and dairy isn't all that important to me anyway, so... oh wait! The non-dairy ice creams are pretty good, but of course loads of sugar. I like the Ben and Jerry's brand of that.
Gluten definitely is harder for me to give up. I was gf for about 3 years a decade ago because of a GI problem and it still bothers me if I eat it every day, but I love baguettes and Italian bread... so I eat it a few times/week.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

have been gf for quite a while now - wonder what would happen if I tried something limited, but not sure if we react in the same way. I get hives and there appears to be anaphylactic risk since my throat swelled up after eating a couple of really yummy cookies. But maybe I could enjoy a small baked good? Hmmmm. Hard to say when I'll give it a shot.

yes, and I'm with you on the "empty calories" thing with plant-based dairy. It's kind of surprising considering some are derived from legumes but maybe they only use those parts to bring "substance" to the product (waxy, I'd say) and that probably carries little to no nutritive value, even in the minimally processed "original" form. But I'm okay with that since I've lost a lot of weight without trying lately and I primarily use vegan cheese to provide a bit of flavor
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

xianjiro wrote: June 14th, 2021, 10:02 pm have been gf for quite a while now - wonder what would happen if I tried something limited, but not sure if we react in the same way. I get hives and there appears to be anaphylactic risk since my throat swelled up after eating a couple of really yummy cookies. But maybe I could enjoy a small baked good? Hmmmm. Hard to say when I'll give it a shot.
Be careful if you eat gluten with having an anaphylactic type reaction in the past. Mine wasn;t that, but primarily GI related and I get headaches sometimes if I eat it a few days in a row. If I eat it for longer than that I have gotten skin blemishes (on the inside of my knees/thighs, oddly), but I wouldn't really call them hives as they don't itch. It also makes my hair shed more if I eat it regularly too.