Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Welcome to all the new members! let's all introduce ourselves here!

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Re: Welcome to all the new members! let's all introduce ourselves here!

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » July 31st, 2020, 11:25 pm

3eyes wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:54 pm
:banana:

My participation is sporadic these days but I still look in pretty regularly. Great to see you!
And wonderful to hear from you, Esther!!! I look forward to catching up and hearing what's new in Philly! :cheers:

Oh, and I just learned a bit of apparent Philly slang the other day: "jawn." Is that a word you use or at least hear??

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » July 31st, 2020, 11:27 pm

Lammetje wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:53 pm
Local! :circle: Boy, am I happy to see you! You still down for that road trip?
Hey, Lammetje -- great to hear from you! What a memory to recall that "road trip" discussion! :cheers:

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » August 1st, 2020, 12:28 am

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:22 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:38 pm
Gershwin wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:12 pm
Good to have you back, Local! I only pop up here once every few weeks for one or two posts, but I'm happy you're back and I'm glad you're doing well!
And one of those posts should be to post your list for the films on unofficial lists poll :P Would hate to lose your voice on that this time around. :D
July 31st, 2020, 2:07 pm
The prodigal son returneth ...

It may be that there are some forum old timers who still remember me. After being a regular on the form for -- what? -- six years or so(?), I drifted shamelessly for a while, and then when the forum took on a new home, I didn't have access. Some time ago Knaldskalle helped me find a way back, and at last in the midst of a quarantine I have reconnected. I think it's been at least four years? I've missed the company of so many of you, and I've gotten rather frightfully rusty with the world of cinephilia, but if any of you still remember me, drop me a hello!

I hear you have a new Russian list and I'm going to have to find the discussion for that!
Welcome back Local! Yes, there was discussion here and a poll on the other forum about the Russian list, and it's been a fairly non-controversial replacement (so far).

You should also post your list for the poll :whistling:
Hey, Fergenaprido! Good to hear from you!

I'm not exactly thrilled that the old Russian list was dropped just when I was closing in on completing it, but I'm hardly in a position to complain now, am I? :lol:

And for which poll should I be submitting a list?
Funnily enough, I went on the LiveJournal list after the blog post was sent out and the top comment is one from you saying it's a poor choice for an official list so I guess they finally listened to you 10 years and 4 months later! :D

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 1st, 2020, 2:29 am

July 31st, 2020, 11:25 pm
3eyes wrote:

My participation is sporadic these days but I still look in pretty regularly. Great to see you!
And wonderful to hear from you, Esther!!! I look forward to catching up and hearing what's new in Philly! :cheers:

Oh, and I just learned a bit of apparent Philly slang the other day: "jawn." Is that a word you use or at least hear??
Jawn or sometimes jaunt, I think. (rough translation: thing) As a middle-schooler Georgie used to say "jaunt" a lot, he got it from a friend from S Philly.
Last I knew our neighborhood had 3 toy stores for pets and none for children.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » August 1st, 2020, 4:47 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
Gershwin wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:12 pm
Good to have you back, Local! I only pop up here once every few weeks for one or two posts, but I'm happy you're back and I'm glad you're doing well!
And one of those posts should be to post your list for the films on unofficial lists poll :P Would hate to lose your voice on that this time around. :D

It may be that there are some forum old timers who still remember me. After being a regular on the form for -- what? -- six years or so(?), I drifted shamelessly for a while, and then when the forum took on a new home, I didn't have access. Some time ago Knaldskalle helped me find a way back, and at last in the midst of a quarantine I have reconnected. I think it's been at least four years? I've missed the company of so many of you, and I've gotten rather frightfully rusty with the world of cinephilia, but if any of you still remember me, drop me a hello!

I hear you have a new Russian list and I'm going to have to find the discussion for that!
Welcome back Local! Yes, there was discussion here and a poll on the other forum about the Russian list, and it's been a fairly non-controversial replacement (so far).

I'm not exactly thrilled that the old Russian list was dropped just when I was closing in on completing it, but I'm hardly in a position to complain now, am I? :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4976&view=unread#unread

If it's not too late.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 1st, 2020, 5:23 am

It's not too late to submit a list. Deadline is in a few hours, but I'm headed out to a friend's house for the afternoon so I won't start downloading the lists until then. So you have at least 6, and probably close to 12 hours left (maybe more, depending on how long it takes me to get things sorted out).

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 1st, 2020, 5:33 am

whaaaaaat

Local Hero now not just a cult classic but Criterion-approved.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 1st, 2020, 12:58 pm

3eyes wrote:

"Jawn" appears to have been discontinued by most Philadelphians the minute it was "ironically" picked up by hipsters:

:yucky:

I blame Creed.

Peter...is your social worker in that horse?

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » August 1st, 2020, 11:06 pm

AdamH wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 12:28 am
Fergenaprido wrote:

Funnily enough, I went on the LiveJournal list after the blog post was sent out and the top comment is one from you saying it's a poor choice for an official list so I guess they finally listened to you 10 years and 4 months later! :D
Ha ha! Yes, there are quite a lot of mediocrities on the LiveJournal list. That said the new list seems rather poppy -- sort of like an imdb250 for Russia. It would be nice to have a critics' choice list, IMO.

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » August 1st, 2020, 11:08 pm

3eyes wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 2:29 am
3eyes wrote:

Jawn or sometimes jaunt, I think. (rough translation: thing) As a middle-schooler Georgie used to say "jaunt" a lot, he got it from a friend from S Philly.
Last I knew our neighborhood had 3 toy stores for pets and none for children.
It's quite a neighborhood you live in, so that doesn't surprise me! That said, I remember visiting a children's toy story in your 'hood.

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » August 1st, 2020, 11:10 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 4:47 am
Fergenaprido wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4976&view=unread#unread

If it's not too late.
Films on zero lists?! Oh, wow -- I don't think I'm capable of rustling up such a list on any kind of short notice. I've been out of the cinephilic/ICM loop.

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » August 1st, 2020, 11:13 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 5:33 am
whaaaaaat

Hey, Funky! Yes, I bought that Criterion right away and enjoyed the commentary. I bought it, by the way, at a two-day retrospective of Forsyth's work at the Film Forum in NYC. He spoke on both days, and ..... I shook the man's hand and thanked him. :woot:

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » August 1st, 2020, 11:16 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 12:58 pm
3eyes wrote:

"Jawn" appears to have been discontinued by most Philadelphians the minute it was "ironically" picked up by hipsters:

:yucky:

I blame Creed.
Either way, I missed all the fun as I only learned the word a couple of months ago, even though I've been living not far away in NYC for two decades now.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 2nd, 2020, 12:40 am

August 1st, 2020, 11:13 pm
funkybusiness wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 5:33 am
whaaaaaat

Hey, Funky! Yes, I bought that Criterion right away and enjoyed the commentary. I bought it, by the way, at a two-day retrospective of Forsyth's work at the Film Forum in NYC. He spoke on both days, and ..... I shook the man's hand and thanked him. :woot:
that's pretty groovy. aahh the before times...

nice to have you back!

Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi » August 3rd, 2020, 7:44 pm

Why, hello, stranger! It's great to have you back! You're in the midst of a quarantine? I hope all is well on your end, I got back last night from a week-long trip to Alberta, where mask-wearing isn't so popular, so I may go into quarantine myself for a while, just to be a good citizen (Anne and I are feeling fine, though).

Do you have a Top 5 list of books you've read since you were last here? Always looking for suggestions!

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » August 4th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Leopardi wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 7:44 pm

Why, hello, stranger! It's great to have you back! You're in the midst of a quarantine? I hope all is well on your end, I got back last night from a week-long trip to Alberta, where mask-wearing isn't so popular, so I may go into quarantine myself for a while, just to be a good citizen (Anne and I are feeling fine, though).

Do you have a Top 5 list of books you've read since you were last here? Always looking for suggestions!
Hey, Leopardi! Good to see you're still here! When I say "quarantine," I just mean the same general lockdown conditions everyone in my country (who still believes in science) should be in. I make the occasional masked sojourn to the outside world, but most of the time I'm home. :cheers:

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » August 4th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Fantastic to have you back, Local! :woot:

Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi » August 5th, 2020, 2:12 pm

August 4th, 2020, 7:11 pm
Leopardi wrote:

Hey, Leopardi! Good to see you're still here! When I say "quarantine," I just mean the same general lockdown conditions everyone in my country (who still believes in science) should be in. I make the occasional masked sojourn to the outside world, but most of the time I'm home. :cheers:
Oh good, glad to hear you're doing well, I thought that was the case but wanted to be sure. Here's to hoping the disease (both epidemiological and political) recedes in the months ahead. :cheers:

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » August 6th, 2020, 5:50 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 7:59 pm
Fantastic to have you back, Local! :woot:
Hey, St. Gloede! Thank you, and great to see you’re still around on the forum!

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » August 6th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Leopardi wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 2:12 pm
August 4th, 2020, 7:11 pm
Leopardi wrote:

Oh good, glad to hear you're doing well, I thought that was the case but wanted to be sure. Here's to hoping the disease (both epidemiological and political) recedes in the months ahead. :cheers:
That’s exactly right!! Dual diseases in my country these days, and they feed off each other!