Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Got it?

Yeah, I got it and feel HORRIBLE.
No votes
Yes, I got it, but am doing okay.
No votes
Yes, I had it but have recovered.
3%
I think I had it, but not sure.
7%
No, still waiting.
69%
No, I know I won't get it. Ever.
14%
What are we talking about? I live under a rock.
7%

Total votes: 29

OldAle1
Donator

Re: Covid-19 or Worldwide Flu

Post by OldAle1 » March 26th, 2020, 12:55 pm

peeptoad wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 12:39 pm
mightysparks wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 12:06 pm
My boyfriend went for a walk on the beach today and said people weren’t practicing social distance at all, hanging out in groups and people pretty much brushing past you. People are so dumb.

I found this article pretty interesting: https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03- ... fmredir=sm
that's a very cool and informative page. Pretty much also confirms the US is fucked unfortunately.
Yes, we are doing basically everything wrong on the federal level, and yet as pointed out above, our Reichsführer's popularity continues to grow. If I believed in God I would say we had a very sick and twisted God who's laughing himself silly over what his supporters are doing in America right now. Or maybe he just lost a bet with Satan over this country. At any rate I'm afraid at this point I expect this to be worse than the Great Depression in the USA, and that if we do recover at all, we will do so as a second-rate power, at best, with China probably taking the lead in the economic world. Maybe India too if they learn from China, South Korea, etc. But America is almost certainly FUBAR.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 26th, 2020, 1:16 pm

peeptoad wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 12:02 pm
sol wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:07 am
There is also a bit of relief in sight. For any students sent to school in the four days leading up to Good Friday, we only have to supervise them, not provide meaningful lessons, since the government wants teachers to use this time as planning and training for online delivery of content for the unknown percentage of students who parents are choosing to keep at home.
Hopefully that unknown percentage turns out to be 100...
It won't be. The advice at this stage is that all government schools will stay open throughout 2020 to support parents who need to send their kids to school (children of healthcare and supermarket workers, etc). At this stage though, there are no plans to 'means test' this; i.e. a parent can state that they are unable to care for their child during the day without having to prove it.

Of course, this is only as it currently stands. Things might still change, but the government is sticking by the line of schools always being there to provide and support kids etc for now.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 26th, 2020, 2:39 pm

mightysparks wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 12:06 pm
I found this article pretty interesting: https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03- ... fmredir=sm
As someone working in web design with a strong aversion of needless animations and gratuitous visual effects on web pages, I am truly impressed by how they are is used here to actually make the content more understandable. Superb article.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 26th, 2020, 3:47 pm

Good if flawed article from one of my favorite blogs

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylighta ... -covid-19/

While he's right about the general arrogance and disdain for truth and science - and for human life - among many conservative religious sects throughout the world, as some of the comments below suggest, blaming too much of this whole debacle on religion is going a bit far. What I would argue is that a great percentage of human beings are simply

a) unable to comprehend this kind of danger until they see it up close - much like smoking for example, and

b) a great percentage of people simply cannot or will not tolerate isolation; the idea that your friends and family could kill you by their presence is just impossible for many people. And that's why were are where we are.

Also this article, linked in the above one

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180965222/

is about the flu pandemic a century ago, and while it was published in 2017 so much of what it says about our (lack of) preparedness rings unfortunately true. And looking at what the US government did and failed to do in 1918 is pretty fucking sobering, or should have been to every successive government but obviously is being totally ignored by the current one.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 26th, 2020, 4:41 pm

March 6th 100 000 (67 days)
March 18th 200 000 (12 days)
March 21st 300 000 (3 days)
March 24th 400 000 (3 days)
March 26th 500 000 (2 days)

excluding China
March 16th 100 000
March 21st 200 000 (5 days)
March 24th 300 000 (3 days)
March 26th 400 000 (2 days)

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 26th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Ghana went from 68 to 132 confirmed cases in one day.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 26th, 2020, 6:24 pm

and I just saw the total infections crossed 500,000 (to 510,000) - expected it to happen before end of week and won't be surprised at all to see over a million by Easter including American First in terms of total infections though honestly I wish all nations were tied for last place in terms of deaths. I can't begin to say how concerning it is to watch this start to go wild in less developed nations across the globe. I really fear the number of deaths in countries where one might have to walk for hours and spend days to get to the nearest clinic. Not really sure the local, traditional healers will be prepared to help any but the most healthy. At least, if economies shut down and people return to their homes before the virus goes wild in the cities, there is a bit more hope - but like we're seeing in India, migrant workers are going home and we know some will carry the infection unknowingly back there.

I'm sure there will be plenty of lovely memorials erected to honour those who died to protect capitalism. ¡Viva la explotación!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 26th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 1:41 am
Knaldskalle wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:46 pm
AdamH wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:30 pm

I'll be surprised if schools open again this academic year.
Yeah. I was talking to my eldest daughter's science and math teacher yesterday and she's preparing to do online teaching for the rest of the year, despite school being scheduled to resume April 6.
Yeah, that's what I'm preparing for too.

Somehow I'm not reassured that everything will go back to normal by Easter.
I will be absolutely amazed if schools are back to normal by Easter. I'm talking from a UK perspective rather than US but issues will be similar. There's already students asking me if I think the school will re-open by end of academic year (late July in England) and I honestly don't expect it. No chance that they will open in April here that's for sure. I'd imagine July at best although I reckon it won't be until the next academic year in September.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 26th, 2020, 7:26 pm

xianjiro wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 6:24 pm
I really fear the number of deaths in countries where one might have to walk for hours and spend days to get to the nearest clinic. Not really sure the local, traditional healers will be prepared to help any but the most healthy. At least, if economies shut down and people return to their homes before the virus goes wild in the cities, there is a bit more hope - but like we're seeing in India, migrant workers are going home and we know some will carry the infection unknowingly back there.
Yeah, I don't see Africa practicing work over the Internet very much... It could be brutal there.

Oh, just remembered how many people there are HIV positive (ie. immuno-compromised). It could wipe out large swaths of the population, in the worst case. Yikes!
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 26th, 2020, 7:39 pm

AdamH wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:15 pm
end of academic year (late July in England)
next academic year in September.
Students only have one month off for summer in England?

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » March 26th, 2020, 8:01 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:39 pm
AdamH wrote:
6 weeks traditionally (mid Jul to early Sep), but probably varies in different regions.

University it's more like 12 weeks. Miss those.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » March 26th, 2020, 8:11 pm

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » March 26th, 2020, 8:20 pm

brokenface wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 8:01 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
AdamH wrote:
6 weeks traditionally (mid Jul to early Sep), but probably varies in different regions.

Yeah, I should have said mid-July rather than late July. This year it's 17th July, next year it's 23rd July (it varies).

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 26th, 2020, 8:31 pm

albajos wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 4:41 pm
March 6th 100 000 (67 days)
March 18th 200 000 (12 days)
March 21st 300 000 (3 days)
March 24th 400 000 (3 days)
March 26th 500 000 (2 days)
This is also excluding the 43000 in China that didn't have symptoms
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 26th, 2020, 8:41 pm

AdamH wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 8:20 pm
brokenface wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 8:01 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:

Yeah, I should have said mid-July rather than late July. This year it's 17th July, next year it's 23rd July (it varies).
Still shorter than over here which is late June to early September. Some places in the US start in August but end earlier in June. Hopefully you all get more breaks along the way.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » March 26th, 2020, 8:43 pm

Looks like the governor of New Mexico will announce school closures for the rest of the year tomorrow. Here the school year officially ends June 30, school typically ends late May (May 22nd for us).

This after a "stay at home" order issued Monday, closing all non-essential businesses and an order requiring all health-care providers and medical equipment manufacturers to report their PPE stocks to the state by next week. New Mexico is at 112 cases officially and 1 death.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 26th, 2020, 10:12 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:26 pm
xianjiro wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 6:24 pm
I really fear the number of deaths in countries where one might have to walk for hours and spend days to get to the nearest clinic. Not really sure the local, traditional healers will be prepared to help any but the most healthy. At least, if economies shut down and people return to their homes before the virus goes wild in the cities, there is a bit more hope - but like we're seeing in India, migrant workers are going home and we know some will carry the infection unknowingly back there.
Yeah, I don't see Africa practicing work over the Internet very much... It could be brutal there.

Oh, just remembered how many people there are HIV positive (ie. immuno-compromised). It could wipe out large swaths of the population, in the worst case. Yikes!
this is exactly the concern in South Africa - of all things, SA was very slow to adopt treatment and I understand many, for a multitude of reasons, aren't on treatment for HIV. The good news is anyone we know who is HIV+ but on treatment with an undetectable viral load is only at slightly elevated risk than their HIV- peers. One caveat, many people on HIV treatment suffer a host of complications of which diabetes, heart/liver ailments, and diseases related to high blood pressure and cholesterol are the most prominent and also risk factors for C-19. For those unable to access treatment, this is a very, very scary time.

As I've said, all we need is one person to bring the virus back to the favela, township, or colonia - where hundreds may depend on a single water tap - and the numbers we've seen to date will seem tame.

Well, it seems American is #1 again! Thanks to the administration we now have more reported cases of C-19 than China.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » March 26th, 2020, 11:45 pm

xianjiro wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:12 pm
Well, it seems American is #1 again! Thanks to the administration we now have more reported cases of C-19 than China.
The sad part is that the word "reported" is key there. There are so many more cases out there then are reported. Only the richest are getting tested.

And who knows if the Chinese numbers are accurate vs propaganda.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » March 26th, 2020, 11:57 pm

I have no idea if this is true.Show

sebby

Post by sebby » March 27th, 2020, 12:16 am

The US surely has well over 500,000 cases right now. Probably close to a million. In a few weeks it will be clear that this will be a generational catastrophe, perhaps a once in a lifetime catastrophe.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 27th, 2020, 12:56 am

Kublai Khan wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:45 pm
xianjiro wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:12 pm
The sad part is that the word "reported" is key there. There are so many more cases out there then are reported. Only the richest are getting tested.

And who knows if the Chinese numbers are accurate vs propaganda.
This is exactly what I keep yelling at the NY Times. They have swallowed the Chinese government line whole.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 27th, 2020, 1:19 am

I've wondered too how trustworthy numbers from Iran are. I will say after initially obfuscating and suppressing data, China decided to adopt a more open footing. I've read some analysis where, as countries like the US, UK, Italy, and Brazil have leaders that want to pull away from the world, and given China's whole belt and road initiative, China is loathe to lose face internationally. At some point Chinese leadership decided they had to come clean. How clean? I can't say but until I find good evidence to the contrary, I will accept the Chinese numbers at face value with concern.

But any of these numbers can be questioned. There isn't one universal diagnosis - well, other than an actual test for either SARS-2 (if I understand correctly, this is what the actual virus is called) in a person's blood or on a person's body. Additionally, at some point we should be able to test for anti-bodies, but I've not read anything about that related to this pandemic. But who gets tested? What test? If tests aren't available, is a clinical diagnosis made? Remember that one day huge jump in the middle of Wuhan phase? I can also guess that the reading of the test isn't as simple as, let's say a pregnancy test. It's entirely possible that the test results in a parts per million type of reading and like most medical tests, that is interpreted by the local standards. So it's entirely conceivable that the same test could be read in two countries: one generating a positive result, the other a negative result.

So, the point of all that is - different countries have different definitions and it's entirely possible, and frankly from what I'm seeing this is also possible between US states, that the same individual could receive different diagnosis simply based on where the medical provider and patient interact. Strange but true.

sol can find me here

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 27th, 2020, 2:08 am

xianjiro wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 1:19 am
Additionally, at some point we should be able to test for anti-bodies, but I've not read anything about that related to this pandemic.
Here you go: https://www.wired.com/story/researchers ... -strategy/

Several groups are working on serological testing, which would detect antibodies and be able to identify people who had the virus and have recovered. These tests could also help determine the length and strength of any immunity gained. And some researchers have theorized that the blood of people who have recovered could be used in some form of treatment for people who are sick.

I've emailed Mount Sinai in New York twice now to volunteer as a research subject for their serological testing, but I haven't heard back.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 27th, 2020, 3:12 am

Grocery shopping is getting more and more depressing. I couldn't find 75% of our usual stuff today. The toilet paper aisle was just filled with Cheezels boxes lol. My dad had work early yesterday and stopped by the supermarket as it was opening and managed to get a 20 pack of toilet roll, but there's a queue outside from 7.45am onwards. I haven't seen toilet paper for a while, but I'll probably be scavenging the IGA's next. I've put on a few kg, so I'm hoping the lack of snack gets rid of the fat and that'll be the plus side of the loss of yummy food.

"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

albajos

Post by albajos » March 27th, 2020, 6:03 am

Youngest person to die without pre-excisting conditions are now 16. In France, yesterday.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 27th, 2020, 6:39 am

blocho wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 2:08 am
xianjiro wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 1:19 am
Additionally, at some point we should be able to test for anti-bodies, but I've not read anything about that related to this pandemic.
Here you go: https://www.wired.com/story/researchers ... -strategy/

Several groups are working on serological testing, which would detect antibodies and be able to identify people who had the virus and have recovered. These tests could also help determine the length and strength of any immunity gained. And some researchers have theorized that the blood of people who have recovered could be used in some form of treatment for people who are sick.

I've emailed Mount Sinai in New York twice now to volunteer as a research subject for their serological testing, but I haven't heard back.
:hug: Thank you! :think: When have I been through this all before ...

I will admit it's hard to stay hopeful, but I do know there are plenty of people out there doing the right thing day in and day out, even to risk of their own safety. I also truly believe that some, many, will learn from this and even though it reminds me of dark days I lived through, when I was what we now call "millennial", I'm glad that this will allow the public to learn and will have so much less stigma and hate attached.

sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 27th, 2020, 6:52 am

sebby wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 12:16 am
The US surely has well over 500,000 cases right now. Probably close to a million. In a few weeks it will be clear that this will be a generational catastrophe, perhaps a once in a lifetime catastrophe.
I doubt we'll reach the swine flu death count.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

sebby

Post by sebby » March 27th, 2020, 7:00 am

Armoreska wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 6:52 am
sebby wrote:
12,000? Even best case calculations now have the US sailing past that number.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 27th, 2020, 7:12 am

sebby wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 7:00 am
Armoreska wrote:
sebby wrote:
200-500K worldwide

--
Pastor Who Claimed Covid-19 ‘Hysteria’ Was Plot Against Trump Dies From Virus
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... rom-virus/
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

sebby

Post by sebby » March 27th, 2020, 8:07 am

Armoreska wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 7:12 am
sebby wrote:
Armoreska wrote:

200-500K worldwide

--
I was talking US only. Worldwide I think it's quite likely the number passes Swine Flu. US alone may eclipse 500k.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 27th, 2020, 8:54 am

sebby wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 8:07 am
Armoreska wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 7:12 am
sebby wrote:

200-500K worldwide

--
I was talking US only. Worldwide I think it's quite likely the number passes Swine Flu. US alone may eclipse 500k.
As long as they all get it by Easter, what's the problem? Got to keep to the royal timetable and I hear companies have stopped making pickups and suvs and started pumping out ventilators and hospitals. No need to worry. It's all under control. :blink:

sol can find me here

sebby

Post by sebby » March 27th, 2020, 9:36 am

Ah yes the Easter miracle. We're surging in cases which means over the next 2-3 weeks -- taking us to Easter -- there will be a surge in deaths. Can't wait for trump's spin on the exponentially rising death tolls. Hospitals overrun with sick patients and short-staffed because docs are falling ill? Trucks used as temporary morgues? Unprecedented epidemic? Welp, it's been a few weeks already; time to get back to work!

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » March 27th, 2020, 10:42 am

outdoorcats wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 9:31 pm
I have been furloughed until September.
Are they paying at all. I hope they are given the amount of money they're printing.

albajos

Post by albajos » March 27th, 2020, 11:19 am

A worst case scenario predicts 2 million deaths in the US alone

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 27th, 2020, 12:18 pm

sebby wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 9:36 am
Ah yes the Easter miracle. We're surging in cases which means over the next 2-3 weeks -- taking us to Easter -- there will be a surge in deaths. Can't wait for trump's spin on the exponentially rising death tolls. Hospitals overrun with sick patients and short-staffed because docs are falling ill? Trucks used as temporary morgues? Unprecedented epidemic? Welp, it's been a few weeks already; time to get back to work!
I expect him to start using his own numbers that will be drastically smaller than reality - what else would he do? This is a guy who is psychologically incapable of admitting he was wrong about anything, probably even to himself. And if his base sees, say, 500k infected and 5k dead when the reality is 10 or 100 times higher, who are they going to believe, their Lord or their own lying eyes?

Meanwhile Boris Johnson has apparently tested positive.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » March 27th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Currently waiting in a line about 100 people long because they are restricting access to limit the number of people in the grocery stores at a given time now...

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 27th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Isn't that communism (dont kill economy) :shrug:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 27th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Armoreska wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 1:50 pm
Isn't that communism (dont kill economy) :shrug:
I dunno they're saying that because of the stock market dropping which is more of a capitalist thing. I think you'd have a point if the industries there were publicly owned instead which isn't the case there.