Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Spiegel van Holland, August nominations (Jul 26th)

The Cycling Lounge

Armoreska

Re: The Cycling Lounge

Post by Armoreska » June 2nd, 2019, 6:46 pm

Finally, the overall leaders not fighting for stage victory in the final TT. It's like we're back in the human world. 9th,10th,21st,36th.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 7th, 2019, 4:57 pm

don't miss this one!!! easy to click through it to watch the main points.
SpoilerShow
the first big showing for Remco
further spoiler:
SpoilerShow
it's a victory, but it's one for the team, though he did everything alone
and who's this Alex Aranburu?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Straka

Post by Straka » June 12th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Wout van Aert got his first world tour win. Impressive time trial effort with a big gap to Van Garderen and a bigger gap to Dumoulin. Dumoulin still has some work to do before the Tour de France.
Froome crashed during the time trial recon and there will be no Tour for him this year.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 12th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Sorry to hear the great Chris Froome has a serious accident in training, hit a wall and has a broken leg so is out of Tour de France and for some time. A great champion anyway.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » June 12th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Can't be happy about someone suffering an injury... but this is great news for everyone but Froome himself (and some people at Ineos, but not even all of them).

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » June 13th, 2019, 5:08 am

It’s serious injury, in intensive care.

Straka

Post by Straka » June 13th, 2019, 7:37 am

Apparently he hit a wall at 60 km/hr resulting in multiple fractures.

Ineos/Sky will still be the team to beat with Thomas and Bernal as leaders, wouldn't actually be surprised if Bernal already takes the win this year.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 13th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Van Aert doubles up his time trial with a sprint win. What's next?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Straka

Post by Straka » June 13th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Despite his crash Froome still got a win today: the 2011 Vuelta. All results from Cobo in 09, 10 and 11 are cancelled due to doping offense based on biological passport irregularities.

Straka

Post by Straka » June 13th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Armoreska wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 3:26 pm
Van Aert doubles up his time trial with a sprint win. What's next?
He was at the Sierra Nevada training camp with Kruijswijk, so maybe he learned some climbing too.

Straka

Post by Straka » June 13th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Meanwhile in Flanders: Evenepoel got his first official pro win, a stage in the Belgium Tour.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 13th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Not just the win, but the way how was incredible. Evenepoel escaped 12 km before the finish with Campenaerts, who couldn't even take the lead and eventually fell trying to keep Evenepoel's wheel, 5km from the finish. The kid just destroyed the competition all by himself.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » June 13th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Straka wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Despite his crash Froome still got a win today: the 2011 Vuelta. All results from Cobo in 09, 10 and 11 are cancelled due to doping offense based on biological passport irregularities.
Golly! :o I wonder why it took so long to make this discovery.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 20th, 2019, 12:37 am

Remco got his first Elites GC win @ Belgium Tour
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 29th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Mountain of Hell 2019 tomorrow
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Straka

Post by Straka » July 6th, 2019, 5:08 pm

The first sprint of the Tour almost never goes without incident, but what a back up plan Jumbo came up with! Great win by Teunissen.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 11th, 2019, 5:17 am

Dolwphin wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 11:16 pm
Tomorrows TDF-stage could be epic. The last KM is on gravel.

Apparently the winner is going to win the whole tour as well
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Straka

Post by Straka » July 11th, 2019, 6:47 am

Not sure how Bernal will do at this finish. It is obviously something that should suit a Dan Martin type.
Aru won last time, but it didn't include the gravel section and it was the last descent ride that Aru did.

Meanwhile in Italy "Alien" van Vleuten is winning with insane gaps at the Giro Rosa.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 11th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Average stage it was, that profile wasted

GCN is now making highlights (better than Eurosport)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Straka

Post by Straka » July 11th, 2019, 6:32 pm

It showed that Thomas is actually in good shape again.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 11th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Teuns!

So happy for him after he lost (was it the Vuelta, was it against Woods) on a very similar finish (steep, though more trees & mist). That was already epic, this is so much better though.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 11th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Ciccone takes yellow jersey with 6 seconds margin! Could be battle between him and Alaphilippe for yellow jersey for awhile, both threatening to do a Voeckler.

These kind of stages are grueling, thins the flock, but easier finishes invites more spectacular attacks. It was a mistake from Landa to attack before the gravel section. The last few hundred meters was spectacular though; Bardet even completely stopped on the literal finishing line out of exhaustion!

GC-results:

G
PInot +2
QuIntana +7
Buchmann +7
Fuglsang +9
Landa +9
Porte +9
Bernal +9

A. Yates +14
MartIn + 14
Uran +18
Woods +18
Bennet +18

----

Mas +33
Mollema +35
KruIjswIjk +35
NIbalI +51
Aru +1m, 2s
Konrad +1m, 8s
Bardet +1m, 9s
Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » July 11th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Alaphilippe wouldn't be doing a Voeckler (or, if you're being more ambitious, a Pereiro) since he didn't get any advantage from a breakaway.

Also Alaphilippe will not be finishing in the top 10 in GC. He can't even win Paris-Nice, his recovery is not great. I doubt Ciccone would be threatening much either since he did the Giro. Top 10 would already be a huge achievment for him.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 11th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Teproc wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 9:25 pm
Alaphilippe wouldn't be doing a Voeckler (or, if you're being more ambitious, a Pereiro) since he didn't get any advantage from a breakaway.

Also Alaphilippe will not be finishing in the top 10 in GC. He can't even win Paris-Nice, his recovery is not great. I doubt Ciccone would be threatening much either since he did the Giro. Top 10 would already be a huge achievment for him.
I wasn't thinking so much about GC, but rather defending the yellow jersey surprisingly well for a few tough stages, like Alaphilppe (almost) did today.
Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

Straka

Post by Straka » July 12th, 2019, 7:16 am

So GC is on hold now until the ITT next week. A boring week of sprints and some Alaphilippe stages ahead.

Good thing that MvdP is racing this weekend.

Straka

Post by Straka » July 12th, 2019, 9:05 am

Dolwphin wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 9:18 pm
The last few hundred meters was spectacular though; Bardet even completely stopped on the literal finishing line out of exhaustion!
Bardet had a mechanical issue just at the finish, that was not exhaustion. However, the French should look at Pinot for a podium finish, Bardet didn't look good.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 13th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Pretty great finish today. Tuned in in time for edge of the seat action. Nothing too special though.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » July 13th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Nothing special, except there are very few people who can beat the odds like that ... but De Gendt is consistently one of them.
200km (full length) escape with 4 guys, then 2 guys, then just De Gendt beating a hunting peleton in the Tour. Even Alaphilippe, gunning for yellow, didn't catch him.

It was epic.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » July 13th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Onderhond wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 3:41 pm
Nothing special, except there are very few people who can beat the odds like that ... but De Gendt is consistently one of them.
200km (full length) escape with 4 guys, then 2 guys, then just De Gendt beating a hunting peleton in the Tour. Even Alaphilippe, gunning for yellow, didn't catch him.

It was epic.
Well done, Thomas! :party:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Coryn

Post by Coryn » July 13th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Proud to be Belgian
[*][*][*][*][*] Favorite
[*][*][*][*] Very good
[*][*][*] Good
[*][*] Okay
[*] Bad

Chilton

Post by Chilton » July 13th, 2019, 6:11 pm

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

What a ride!

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » July 13th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Teproc wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 4:52 pm
Can't be happy about someone suffering an injury... but this is great news for everyone but Froome himself (and some people at Ineos, but not even all of them).
I think this is a disservice to the nobility of many of the GC riders, folks like Quintana want to beat the best, the whole cachet of winning the Tour de France is that you triumphed against all the great riders. I think for anyone to be positive about it they would have to buy that Froome was a doper.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » July 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Chapeau to de Gendt, a true cavalier.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » July 13th, 2019, 9:22 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 6:53 pm
Teproc wrote:
I think this is a disservice to the nobility of many of the GC riders, folks like Quintana want to beat the best, the whole cachet of winning the Tour de France is that you triumphed against all the great riders. I think for anyone to be positive about it they would have to buy that Froome was a doper.
He might not be an Armstrong EPO blood bag type, but the salbutamol case has shown a definite willingness to skirt the rules along the edges and to act both secretive and indignant about it, which is textbook doper. He gets the benefit of the doubt in a court of law and that's all well and good, but my sympathy doesn't stretch that far.

I also just meant that Froome being absent meant a more open field and possibly more exciting race, though Thomas may end up just as dominant, who knows.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » July 14th, 2019, 7:58 am

Teproc wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 9:22 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:
Teproc wrote:
He might not be an Armstrong EPO blood bag type, but the salbutamol case has shown a definite willingness to skirt the rules along the edges and to act both secretive and indignant about it, which is textbook doper. He gets the benefit of the doubt in a court of law and that's all well and good, but my sympathy doesn't stretch that far.

I also just meant that Froome being absent meant a more open field and possibly more exciting race, though Thomas may end up just as dominant, who knows.
I think the thing he was indignant about was the situation being leaked to the press. Basically if that leak hadn't happened we wouldnt even be having this conversation. I think it's right that he's indignant about that because he got treated differently and against the rules, his whole career is tarnished because someone at WADA or UCI couldn't follow their own procedures. He gets exercise induced asthma like many pro athletes who put their bodies through insane rigours, he puffed from an inhaler after the race was over. He was capable of proving that dehydration from the race led to a higher concentation in his urine. Potentially others wouldn't have had the financial backing to make that case, but he does and is entitled to a good defence.

Thomas is odds on to win it with the bookies anyway. The most likely way he doesn't is a crash.

Straka

Post by Straka » July 14th, 2019, 9:46 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 7:58 am
Teproc wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 9:22 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:

I think the thing he was indignant about was the situation being leaked to the press. Basically if that leak hadn't happened we wouldnt even be having this conversation. I think it's right that he's indignant about that because he got treated differently and against the rules, his whole career is tarnished because someone at WADA or UCI couldn't follow their own procedures. He gets exercise induced asthma like many pro athletes who put their bodies through insane rigours, he puffed from an inhaler after the race was over. He was capable of proving that dehydration from the race led to a higher concentation in his urine. Potentially others wouldn't have had the financial backing to make that case, but he does and is entitled to a good defence.
It actually is still speculation what exactly the full defense of Froome was in his doping case; the details remain vague and were never shared. His career indeed has a tarnish, as does his team. The practices of Froome and his team have been on and over the edge, this does not mean they are guilty of doping, it does mean that they could have acted in line with more transparent teams out there. The Sky team entered cycling with big words of transparency and they haven't delivered. They put up smoke and mirrors backed by financial means. Any tarnish they have brought about themselves and is well deserved.

Straka

Post by Straka » July 14th, 2019, 9:52 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 7:58 am
Thomas is odds on to win it with the bookies anyway. The most likely way he doesn't is a crash.
Odds change; at the start it was Bernal who was the favourite with the bookies. Anyway, the big mountain passes are in the last week, there is still a lot that can happen and lets hope a lot will happen.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 14th, 2019, 10:32 am

That's the most people I've ever seen commenting on a single race here :D
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 14th, 2019, 5:57 pm

The closest Megavalanche so far
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 14th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Tomorrow is not a rest day at TdF...
Well that's new
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434