Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1932 (Results), 1930s (Results), 2015 awards (May 23rd)
Challenges: Western, Iran, Cannes
Film of the Week: Ramrod, June nominations (May 24th)

Do you eat meat?

fori

Re: Do you eat meat?

Post by fori » May 6th, 2019, 1:04 pm

peeptoad wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 12:18 pm
fori wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 9:21 am
Actually if you felt that way (which nobody does...
I do. :mw_confused: But I still eat plants...
(Read in the brackets of my post, I’m trying to point out that loving plants and eating them is not a contradiction because plants are not sentient & we need their consumption for survival)

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » May 6th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Interesting article: https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/ ... l-pain.htm

Poor cucumbers; I had no idea!
That's all, folks!

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » May 6th, 2019, 1:20 pm

fori wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 1:04 pm
peeptoad wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 12:18 pm
fori wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 9:21 am
Actually if you felt that way (which nobody does...
I do. :mw_confused: But I still eat plants...
(Read in the brackets of my post, I’m trying to point out that loving plants and eating them is not a contradiction because plants are not sentient & we need their consumption for survival)
Oh, I agree with you... I think. wasn't offended or anything, sorry if it came off that way. It just sometimes saddens me that people don't "consider" plants maybe the same way that they consider animals.
mightysparks wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 12:47 pm
peeptoad wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 12:24 pm
mightysparks wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 8:02 am

Nah it was fresh fruit, I don’t like bananas or blueberries but I tried both and also strawberries (which I do like) but it was just sort of tasteless and sour. Idk if we have siggis in Aus. I like peanut butter but I try not to eat much bread these days. I bought some almond butter a while ago but haven’t tried it with anything yet. I also tried apples with peanut butter but it made me feel sick. Every smoothie I’ve tried to make so far has been awful lol but I will try to find one that uses nut butter. I have protein shakes sometimes but I also start to feel sick at the thought of drinking milk if I drink it too much and I hate them with just water. Not a big fan of milk either, I can’t drink full cream and only have semi-skim now. I’ve tried soy and almond milk, and coconut water but they’re all revolting.
Do you like tempeh? If you slice tempeh thin, fry it in olive oil and then layer it with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes it is fantastic imho. Lots of healthy protein (I eat this maybe 3-4 times a month with sauteed greens or another vegetable). :thumbsup:
Haven't tried it. I gave tofu a go and it didn't turn out right then I got scared off tempeh and seitan (the latter of which I've never been able to find anywhere). I'll pick some up next time I'm at the shops and give your recommendation a try. I found some vegetarian sausages recently which are surprisingly decent for protein (10g per sausage, 100 cal per sausage, serving size is 2) and quite nice, still nothing like 40g protein for some turkey mince tho :P I don't like 'normal' sausages and I prefer these by a mile.
Well, tempeh is an easier texture to work with imo vs tofu. It's not as spongy and watery and is less "processed" than tofu. I rec slicing the tepmeh pretty thin (like a few mm if possible) and then fry it in hot olive or canola oil before bakking it. It sears the oustide and makes it taste great mixed in with the sauce and cheese. :wub: I use tofu too, but usually stir fry or just cubed with a white wine herb sauce or something. It's quite good that way too. I* agree with you on sausages.. not a huge fan of any type but I found a chicken variety that is decent. Used to eat Boca suasages back when I was a vegetarian, but not sure that type of soy is better than tempeh or tofu and they might not even make them anymore.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 6th, 2019, 9:30 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 8:02 am
Nah it was fresh fruit, I don’t like bananas or blueberries but I tried both and also strawberries (which I do like) but it was just sort of tasteless and sour. Idk if we have siggis in Aus. I like peanut butter but I try not to eat much bread these days. I bought some almond butter a while ago but haven’t tried it with anything yet. I also tried apples with peanut butter but it made me feel sick. Every smoothie I’ve tried to make so far has been awful lol but I will try to find one that uses nut butter. I have protein shakes sometimes but I also start to feel sick at the thought of drinking milk if I drink it too much and I hate them with just water. Not a big fan of milk either, I can’t drink full cream and only have semi-skim now. I’ve tried soy and almond milk, and coconut water but they’re all revolting.
Have you tried Ezekiel bread? It's one of the healthiest and tastiest store-bought breads, but I don't know if it's available in Australia.

Almond butter tastes better than peanut butter, imo. Pecan butter is also good, but expensive.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 7th, 2019, 3:41 am

mjf314 wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 7:51 am
Have you tried adding banana to yogurt? Or blueberries? I think fresh fruit would taste better than a mix (which I assume is dried fruit). My favorite yogurt is Siggi's.

If you get sick of plain nuts, what about bread with nut butter? Or a smoothie with nut butter?
I went to a different supermarket after work this morning to grab some cheese and happened to see some Siggi's yoghurt. I grabbed the strawberry one since I don't have anything to add to it, but I just ate it with my lunch and it was pretty good. I find a lot of those 'healthy' high protein yoghurts to be gross (I mostly can only stomach the kids ones full of sugar lol), but this was tasty and I really liked the texture.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 8th, 2019, 9:24 pm

I discovered seitan recently and I'm glad I did. It's a shame that this kind of food is more expensive than shitty meat made from animals that had to suffer their whole lives.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

sebby

Post by sebby » May 9th, 2019, 3:37 am

Lammetje wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 9:24 pm
I discovered seitan recently and I'm glad I did. It's a shame that this kind of food is more expensive than shitty meat made from animals that had to suffer their whole lives.
True but a lot of it (like seitan) is quite cheap and easy to make yourself.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » May 9th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Seitan would probably destroy me if I ate it for any length of time... I had some sietan jerky about 20 years ago that was tasty though. Just prob won't ever repeat the experience.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 9th, 2019, 4:26 pm

sebby wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 3:37 am
Lammetje wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 9:24 pm
True but a lot of it (like seitan) is quite cheap and easy to make yourself.
It ain't cheap here and I'm lazy. :(
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 11th, 2019, 12:03 am

I tried 2 healthy vegan recipes recently, and I liked both.

"Penne with chickpeas and spinach" from Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook

"Peanut butter tempeh" from The No Meat Athlete Cookbook

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 11th, 2019, 4:32 am

Half my meal prep for the next few days:
SpoilerShow
I forgot the noodle and sausage thing was only two servings so the other night will be burgers. There was meant to be another salad but I forgot the dressing, and I was also going to do a curry but I just couldn’t be bothered so they will be tomorrow. Also still making up some boiled eggs. It was my first time making banana bread and it’s a bit too moist and flat but otherwise ok.

My boyfriend works 12 hour days and is the only person there and can’t leave for more than a few mins or close it up so he doesn’t have a lot of food choices. So I’ve been trying to meal prep him some salad options. I hate most salads (and only learnt to cook less than a year ago) so I'm still experimenting with some stuff.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

sebby

Post by sebby » May 11th, 2019, 5:10 am

Salads are 90% about the dressing. Learn how to make a few good ones and you're set for life.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 11th, 2019, 5:56 am

sebby wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 5:10 am
Salads are 90% about the dressing. Learn how to make a few good ones and you're set for life.
Do you have any favorites that you would recommend?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 11th, 2019, 6:41 am

Yea I haven't really made many dressings or sauces, except for a couple lately (a pesto for a pasta salad, and a soy dressing for the soba noodle one today) and they've been eh. I usually only like balsamic out of the standard ones. I also don't like a lot of salad vegetables, I made one recently with cucumber and gagged every time I got a bite of cucumber. Trying out some pasta ones after we ate some good ones at a wholesome food restaurant recently.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 11th, 2019, 6:48 am

mjf314 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 5:56 am
sebby wrote:
From my perspective, learn how to make a vinaigrette and experiment from there. Something like this: https://howtoboilanegg.wordpress.com/20 ... naigrette/

It our go-to dressing here - and we'll tweak the ingredients to the food and/or mood of the evening.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 11th, 2019, 11:06 am

Salads are nice, but I can’t stand vinegar. The only dressing — if you can even call it that — I’d use would be some olive oil with lemon juice.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 11th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Carmel1379 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:06 am
Salads are nice, but I can’t stand vinegar. The only dressing — if you can even call it that — I’d use would be some olive oil with lemon juice.
Yup. That's, basically, a vinaigrette. My go-to version here is olive oil, lemon juice, a little mustard, salt/pepper/garlic to taste.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 11th, 2019, 9:36 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 7:42 pm
Carmel1379 wrote:
Yup. That's, basically, a vinaigrette. My go-to version here is olive oil, lemon juice, a little mustard, salt/pepper/garlic to taste.
Yeah, but I find ready-made supermarket-sold vinaigrette always incredibly sour and just killing the taste of every salad, even in small amounts. :shrug:

I'll try it with mustard next time. :thumbsup:
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 11th, 2019, 10:48 pm

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » May 11th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Carmel1379 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 9:36 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 7:42 pm
Carmel1379 wrote:
Yeah, but I find ready-made supermarket-sold vinaigrette always incredibly sour and just killing the taste of every salad, even in small amounts. :shrug:

I'll try it with mustard next time. :thumbsup:
Oh I see what you're saying... yeah - I'm not a fan of most commercial vinaigrettes either. Another option if you want to cut the acid and use an emulsifier is honey - use that instead of mustard.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 12th, 2019, 1:44 am

I usually eat my vegetables with olive oil and garlic, and sometimes other spices (e.g. cumin or chili powder).

I'm wondering if there are any good oil-free dressings which are both healthy and easy to make. I was thinking maybe a nut-based dressing, but I'm not sure what to add to it.

sebby

Post by sebby » May 12th, 2019, 8:13 am

mjf314 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 5:56 am
sebby wrote:
In a blender: avocado + mandarin or orange + tomato or sweet bell pepper + fresh basil or dill + tahini + serrano or jalapeno + a dash of fresh lemon juice + spices (i usually do salt, pepper, turmeric, and paprika).

This is the evolution of a simple avocado + tomato + basil dressing. I just kept adding stuff until I perfected it to my taste. Sometimes I add a medjool date if it's too tangy/spicy. You can also add things like hemp seeds or pumpkin seeds if you want more fat/cals.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 12th, 2019, 10:45 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 1:13 pm
Interesting article: https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/ ... l-pain.htm

Poor cucumbers; I had no idea!
Cucumbers are lucky that they are fruits. What about carrots?
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 12th, 2019, 10:50 pm

sebby wrote:
I only put mustard seeds nowadays, sometimes. But it does little.
Avocado also saves a salad, when I got one.
Thankfully the tomato season is coming back.

I'm only willing to make the minimum effort to improve the taste of food. Adding beans to grains. Adding whatever spices to anything.

My average protein sources, but I eat a lot of food (2.5-3kg):
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 12th, 2019, 11:34 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 10:59 pm
Nah it’s not vegans who are douchebags, it’s people with a superiority complex. I don’t care if it’s food, art, or whatever if you start talking down to others because they don’t share your opinion or moral outlook you can get stuffed.
I on the other hand completely admit that people with stronger morals than mine and who are more active are superior.

Anyhow, I also do have a problem with someone's superiority. But it's not towards me. It's the general public to animals, both farmed and wild.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 13th, 2019, 12:59 am

Armoreska wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 10:50 pm
My average protein sources, but I eat a lot of food (2.5-3kg):
Is that from Cronometer? How do you view your average? If I hover over protein, it only shows my protein sources for 1 day.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 13th, 2019, 1:26 am

mjf314 wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:59 am
How do you view your average? If I hover over protein, it only shows my protein sources for 1 day.
Ha it doesn't do that. Looks like even the premium version doesn't have such a feature. It's got a ways to go.
I only use it to
1. set my average day goal and then sometimes tweak it. So all the stuff I expect to eat at least a few hundred grams of during the year, all rolled into one day.
2. look up nutritional value of particular produce.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 13th, 2019, 10:05 pm

mightysparks wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 10:59 pm
Nah it’s not vegans who are douchebags, it’s people with a superiority complex. I don’t care if it’s food, art, or whatever if you start talking down to others because they don’t share your opinion or moral outlook you can get stuffed.
Oh and there's this fresh reaction video to some anti-vegan douchebag's rant. Seems relevant so there:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 13th, 2019, 11:15 pm

Can’t watch that kind of YouTube video coz it’s too painful but I saw another person get called a rapist yesterday for eating eggs occasionally.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » May 14th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Armoreska wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 1:26 am
mjf314 wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:59 am
How do you view your average? If I hover over protein, it only shows my protein sources for 1 day.
Ha it doesn't do that. Looks like even the premium version doesn't have such a feature. It's got a ways to go.
I only use it to
1. set my average day goal and then sometimes tweak it. So all the stuff I expect to eat at least a few hundred grams of during the year, all rolled into one day.
2. look up nutritional value of particular produce.
Thanks for mentioning Cronometer never saw that one before (not that I looked)... I normally am not into logging food, but I'm trying to make some dietary changes and this will help since there is a decent breakdown of nutrients, etc. visible. Now I just have to discipline myself to keep track since I'm only on day 2 so far.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 16th, 2019, 7:27 am

Was feeling depressed about cooking the other day. Takes so long, it's hard to find recipes that are nice, it's hard to find certain vegetarian products at the supermarket etc, so I felt like I was just wasting my time. Sulked for a couple days but decided to just buy some easy stuff for now. I tried making tofu a while ago and it tasted powdery and I used way too much sauce and I gave up on it. I bought some pre-marinated teriyaki tofu that just had to be microwaved, some frozen vegetable gyozas, made up some steamed broccoli and (prepared earlier) rice and yum:

Also bought some tempeh, but still can't find seitan anywhere except an online store. I'm actually really annoyed because I was browsing through the online store and they have so many awesome vegetarian/vegan options but it's online only and expensive and therefore annoying and not really feasible. Need to try and find some small health/vegan stores around Perth that might stock the same kind of food.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » May 16th, 2019, 9:46 am

sebby wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 11:13 pm
Also, calling vegans brainwashed because they correctly point out that the greatest thing an individual can do to help the environment is to stop using animal products is the sort of attack that people who live this lifestyle deal with all the fucking time. Obviously, to solve environmental problems, there need to be bigger changes made, but it’s not individuals that can make those changes. It’s government. So God forbid a vegan do what is literally the greatest amount of good they can to positively affect the environment.
Whilst it's true that stopping using animal products will help the environment, it is not the biggest thing we can do. The biggest thing we can do is not have children. Every child is a new carbon footprint.

fori

Post by fori » May 16th, 2019, 11:05 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 9:46 am
sebby wrote:
Also, calling vegans brainwashed because they correctly point out that the greatest thing an individual can do to help the environment is to stop using animal products is the sort of attack that people who live this lifestyle deal with all the fucking time. Obviously, to solve environmental problems, there need to be bigger changes made, but it’s not individuals that can make those changes. It’s government. So God forbid a vegan do what is literally the greatest amount of good they can to positively affect the environment.
Whilst it's true that stopping using animal products will help the environment, it is not the biggest thing we can do. The biggest thing we can do is not have children. Every child is a new carbon footprint.
Here’s Mr “Animals have more to fear from vegans than from people who eat animals” to provide some sensible commentary on this issue again.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » May 16th, 2019, 11:35 am

Some years ago I've posted here (on the first page). While I'm still a meat eater, I reduced my intake more in regular life to just meat from "good" bio producers. And the older I get the more I have moral problems with eating meat in general. HArd to justify it to myself that an animal literally had to die just so I can eat it, when there are valid alternatives.

I think I'll try a test phase of at least a month (likely more) of trying a straight vegetarian diet. And if I won't miss meat too much I might stay with it.
Going vegan isn't a real option as of now. While some things I consider banishing from a moral standpoint (industrial egg production is bascially not much better than most meat production when it comes to animal welfare) or from an environmental standpoint (industrial dairy production), there are still a lot of things I don't consider bad if they are from "good" producers (free range hens for eggs or traditional, small scale dairy production).

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » May 16th, 2019, 12:15 pm

fori wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 11:05 am
matthewscott8 wrote:
sebby wrote:
Here’s Mr “Animals have more to fear from vegans than from people who eat animals” to provide some sensible commentary on this issue again.
What am I to infer from this belligerent response?

sebby

Post by sebby » May 16th, 2019, 10:06 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
sebby wrote:

The urge to procreate is more baked into human DNA then the urge to eat an environmentally unfriendly and ethically dubious diet, so it’s a much harder sell. The tangible benefit of not having children is also quite lacking. You can feel good about it on an intellectual level, but that’s sort of it. It’s also not something you can just sort of do, like being vegan for only four or five days a week if you’re unwilling to fully commit to it.

With a vegan diet you may miss the comfort of eating hamburgers and ice cream, but you can get the evidence in front of you that validates your decision: blood tests that show your health is improving, the number on a scale or what you see in the mirror, the extra energy and mental acuity you acquire, all the lactose related issues (man boobs, bloated face, grogginess and so on) disappearing, etc. Compared to forgoing parenting, there are more reasons for a person to go and stay vegan. All to say, it’s the most realistic option for the average person to reduce their carbon footprint. Yeah it’s technically not as effective as advocating for people not to have kids, but it’s something that will certainly make a bigger dent given that people are much more receptive to changing what they eat than changing their mind about having kids.

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » May 16th, 2019, 10:41 pm

sebby wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 10:06 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:
sebby wrote:

The urge to procreate is more baked into human DNA then the urge to eat an environmentally unfriendly and ethically dubious diet, so it’s a much harder sell. The tangible benefit of not having children is also quite lacking. You can feel good about it on an intellectual level, but that’s sort of it. It’s also not something you can just sort of do, like being vegan for only four or five days a week if you’re unwilling to fully commit to it.

With a vegan diet you may miss the comfort of eating hamburgers and ice cream, but you can get the evidence in front of you that validates your decision: blood tests that show your health is improving, the number on a scale or what you see in the mirror, the extra energy and mental acuity you acquire, all the lactose related issues (man boobs, bloated face, grogginess and so on) disappearing, etc. Compared to forgoing parenting, there are more reasons for a person to go and stay vegan. All to say, it’s the most realistic option for the average person to reduce their carbon footprint. Yeah it’s technically not as effective as advocating for people not to have kids, but it’s something that will certainly make a bigger dent given that people are much more receptive to changing what they eat than changing their mind about having kids.
People take the path of least resistance for some people it's easy to not eat meat, I'm not one of them. For some it's easy to not have kids, I AM one ofthose, I do like kids, and I would love to have kids, but that is a sacrifice I can make. All this is different for everyone. You mention lactose. I am not lactose intolerant, but I hate the stuff, if someone said to me I had to go dairy free I'm pretty much already there, like the difference between vegetarian and vegan for me is non existent. We've heard others in the thread for whom it's a big difference. What fucks me off is when people who claim to have discovered the truth and are pretty hardnosed about it, then are fine to immediately flip and go against something just as obvious, children are the biggest carbon footprint.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 17th, 2019, 3:42 am

There's an obvious solution here that people are tiptoeing around:
https://www.britannica.com/topic/A-Modest-Proposal

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » May 17th, 2019, 3:48 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 7:27 am
Was feeling depressed about cooking the other day. Takes so long, it's hard to find recipes that are nice, it's hard to find certain vegetarian products at the supermarket etc, so I felt like I was just wasting my time.
I found a few vegan cookbooks that seem good (although I haven't tried many of the recipes yet):
Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook
The No Meat Athlete Cookbook
The China Study Cookbook

They also have websites, but I don't think the recipes are the same:
https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/
https://www.nomeatathlete.com/recipes/
https://nutritionstudies.org/

Does anyone else have cookbook or website recommendations?

sebby

Post by sebby » May 18th, 2019, 7:13 am

I'd highly recommend the How Not to Die cookbook by Dr Michael Greger.

He's probably your best source for honest nutritional info -- everything he claims is backed (sources always cited) by the best evidence that is currently available, he doesn't monetize his website or YT channel, and donates all of his book profits to charity. Dude is one of the few visible people in the medical-nutrition game that isn't an idiot (Hi Dr Oz, how ya doin?) or a snake oil salesman of some kind.