Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2010s (Results), Animation (Jul 21st), 1974 awards (Jul 23rd), 1942 (Jul 27th)
Challenges: Low rating, Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Benelux
Film of the Week: Absences répétées, August nominations (Jul 26th)

The Political Lounge

PirateJenny

Re: The Political Lounge

Post by PirateJenny » April 15th, 2019, 9:59 pm

It's one of the most beautiful cathedrals and sad to see it on fire like that! I wonder how long it will take to get rebuilt as France has been secular since after the revolution yet there's that big spire that's a piece of irreplaceable history.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » April 15th, 2019, 10:33 pm

PirateJenny wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 9:59 pm
It's one of the most beautiful cathedrals and sad to see it on fire like that! I wonder how long it will take to get rebuilt as France has been secular since after the revolution yet there's that big spire that's a piece of irreplaceable history.
:mw_confused: You can be secular and still appreciate art and history.

Also:
SpoilerShow

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 16th, 2019, 12:05 am

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 16th, 2019, 8:22 am

It is terrible but a lot of things that happen can be symbolic even if this may not be for example the windsor fire years ago was taken as part of the annus horribilis for the monarchy and royal family

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » April 16th, 2019, 8:39 am

Oh, come on, Cipp. If you really want to keep hammering at the decline of Christianity, here's a Biblical quote for you.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 16th, 2019, 10:12 am

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 9:12 pm
bal3x wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 2:22 pm
April 15th, 2019, 3:30 am
That's why Australia should take responsibility for our defense and get nukes. That way we'd have more independence in regards to our foreign policy and could make decisions based on our national values, rather than passively doing everything the US tells us to because we're afraid of what could happen if we said no.

During the build up to the Iraq invasion 70% of Australians were opposed to it. But on more than one occasion our prime minster tried to justify his support of the invasion by saying 'America is the only country who can guarantee our security'

Australia is like a woman who is in a relationship with a violent drunk. :down:
Nukes, lol - nobody will let you have them as then you become way too independent... :D
In fact nukes is the one thing that can guarantee that you will not be invaded... Gaddafi made that mistake and Kim will not...
No one will let us have them? Why did they let Pakistan aquire them then?

As for Kim, I agree with you. I've said all along that there's no way I'd be giving up the nukes if I was him.
hehe - that's the question I always ask and never receive a satisfactory response - why can Pakistan have nukes and Iran cannot, huh? Who is that who determines this?

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 16th, 2019, 10:21 am

Regarding the Notre Dame tragedy, I'm not sure how "symbolic" it is, but perhaps it is indeed some sort of a sign for the civilization, who knows... by coincidence I was reading yesterday an article about the leak from the French military regarding French weapons being used in the atrocities in Yemen:

https://theintercept.com/2019/04/15/sau ... us-france/
https://disclose.ngo/en

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » April 16th, 2019, 12:29 pm

bal3x wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 10:12 am
hehe - that's the question I always ask and never receive a satisfactory response - why can Pakistan have nukes and Iran cannot, huh? Who is that who determines this?
I think the policy is to just stop anyone from joining the "We Got A Nuke" Club.
:circle:

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 16th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 12:29 pm
bal3x wrote:
I think the policy is to just stop anyone from joining the "We Got A Nuke" Club.
Well, yeah, but then again the gin is out of the bottle and people see what's actually happening... so expect more countries willing to get their hands on one of these... especially seeing as international treaties are being thrown out the window... rule of the strong vs rule of the law etc...

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 16th, 2019, 12:57 pm

flaiky wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 9:30 pm
Cippenham wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 8:53 pm
I think the terrible fire at Notre Dame cathedral, whilst an accident, is symbolic of the collapse of Macron and his evil regime, of the decay and corruption of the EU and from the ashes Christian civilisation can be rebuilt, the sign of hope being the enormous growth of patriotism and national movements . Only today we hear if the large growth in support for the Finns party in Finland for example.
Shut up, seriously.

---

The fire is a total tragedy. One of the most beautiful buildings on earth and an irreplaceable connection to the medieval era. I hope they manage to salvage as much as possible, inside and out, but it will obviously never be the same.
I imagine it has been 3D mapped, plus there's already 300 million euro in the pot day 1 after it happened for a rebuild. So could be back to pretty much the same, minus some sentiment.

Cipp, pretty insensitive to hijack this.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » April 16th, 2019, 2:29 pm

bal3x wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Kublai Khan wrote:
bal3x wrote:
Well, yeah, but then again the gin is out of the bottle and people see what's actually happening... so expect more countries willing to get their hands on one of these... especially seeing as international treaties are being thrown out the window... rule of the strong vs rule of the law etc...
Yeah. I believe that's the primary reason places like North Korea and Iran have sought out nuclear weapons. Because it makes them major players. Easier to get respoect that way instead of the long process of being an economic powerhouse.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 16th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 2:29 pm
bal3x wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Kublai Khan wrote:
Yeah. I believe that's the primary reason places like North Korea and Iran have sought out nuclear weapons. Because it makes them major players. Easier to get respoect that way instead of the long process of being an economic powerhouse.
Indeed, very true and you cannot blame them especially seeing what happened to a country like Libya.

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » April 16th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 10:33 pm
PirateJenny wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 9:59 pm
:mw_confused: You can be secular and still appreciate art and history.

Also:
SpoilerShow
Oh don't get me wrong I love the cathedral and what it represents for France. It looks like they're going to rebuild it. Just saying as they have a lot more laws on symbols than other countries. Probably a moot point.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 16th, 2019, 3:48 pm

bal3x wrote:
bal3x wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Nukes, lol - nobody will let you have them as then you become way too independent... :D
In fact nukes is the one thing that can guarantee that you will not be invaded... Gaddafi made that mistake and Kim will not...

As for Kim, I agree with you. I've said all along that there's no way I'd be giving up the nukes if I was him.
hmmm, maybe because Pakistan has on-again, off-again relations with key Western states and Iran has been openly hostile to the US since the revolution?

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 16th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
bal3x wrote:
don't believe this to be the case - clearly India is also a more recent nuclear state. Apartheid South Africa is reputed to have been allowed to develop a nuclear program though the extent of Western assistance is unknown. They additionally reputedly terminated/destroyed any weapons they might have had when Mandela came to office. Also, Israel is reportedly nuclear as well. Not sure about other former Soviet states like Belarus and Kazakhstan at this point - weren't they supposed to turn over everything to Russia? Did it happen? Did the Russians take it with them when the Soviet empire collapsed?

Now some of this may be a timeline issue, but it really seems to be contingent on who is in power and who is assisting. While I think most Western governments would, now, oppose more states gaining nuclear weapons, I'm not clear that the Kakistanis wouldn't willingly share tech with either Israel or the Saudis as we speak. I doubt those nasty 'eurocommies' would acquiesce to the spread of nuclear technology much of anywhere at present, but who knows what the future holds.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 16th, 2019, 4:01 pm

btw, while the West is 'ignoring' the decline of Christian civilationsation in the EU, this happened and nobody in the said West seems to notice/care:Fire breaks out near mosque on Temple Mount

From what I've been able to read, it doesn't sound like anything as catastrophic as Notre Dame, but I thought the 'politically correct fake news media' had turned it's back on Christian civilisation to fawn over Islam :think:

sol can find me here

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 16th, 2019, 5:04 pm

xianjiro wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 3:48 pm
bal3x wrote:

hmmm, maybe because Pakistan has on-again, off-again relations with key Western states and Iran has been openly hostile to the US since the revolution?
And where does that hostility actually come from? Perhaps the West can also look a bit more critically at their own actions, huh? UK/US has been interfering in that country for a very long time... just leave them alone... yet, it cannot be done, - alas, Israel. Bibi would be happy for Trump to invade.. hope they have at least some common sense left.. and speaking of Pakistan, it's not like they have not been exhibiting some very erratic behavior.. so one could even argue Iran is more stable than Pakistan to a certain extent.
Last edited by bal3x on April 16th, 2019, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 16th, 2019, 5:14 pm

xianjiro wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 3:56 pm
Kublai Khan wrote:
bal3x wrote:
don't believe this to be the case - clearly India is also a more recent nuclear state. Apartheid South Africa is reputed to have been allowed to develop a nuclear program though the extent of Western assistance is unknown. They additionally reputedly terminated/destroyed any weapons they might have had when Mandela came to office. Also, Israel is reportedly nuclear as well. Not sure about other former Soviet states like Belarus and Kazakhstan at this point - weren't they supposed to turn over everything to Russia? Did it happen? Did the Russians take it with them when the Soviet empire collapsed?

Now some of this may be a timeline issue, but it really seems to be contingent on who is in power and who is assisting. While I think most Western governments would, now, oppose more states gaining nuclear weapons, I'm not clear that the Kakistanis wouldn't willingly share tech with either Israel or the Saudis as we speak. I doubt those nasty 'eurocommies' would acquiesce to the spread of nuclear technology much of anywhere at present, but who knows what the future holds.
Oh, Israel does not have nukes, but will not hesitate to use them if necessary :D Sure, Israel had to have them since they are surrounded by "enemies" and would have been wiped out of not for the US support.. and they will not have Iran develop nukes, recall how they planted Stuxnet in Iran's facilities so all their centrifuges became useless..

As to former USSR, make no mistake, nuclear material is tracked VERY carefully so you can be pretty sure none of it is left there in either Kazakhstan or any other country. It's the Americans actually who were overseeing dismantling and removal of the material back in the 90s. Some are even arguing it was a mistake for Ukraine to give up their own stockpile...

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 16th, 2019, 6:34 pm

bal3x wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 5:04 pm
xianjiro wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 3:48 pm
bal3x wrote:

And where does that hostility actually come from? Perhaps the West can also look a bit more critically at their own actions, huh? UK/US has been interfering in that country for a very long time... just leave them alone... yet, it cannot be done, - alas, Israel. Bibi would be happy for Trump to invade.. hope they have at least some common sense left.. and speaking of Pakistan, it's not like they have not been exhibiting some very erratic behavior.. so one could even argue Iran is more stable than Pakistan to a certain extent.
Please don't misunderstand, I'm not condoning, just explaining. I think given Tehran's justifiable hostility (both the UK and US propped up the brutal Shahist regime) and their fear at being surrounded by nuclear states, it's only natural they would seek to have their own 'deterrent'. I also get why that makes certain Western states nervous.

While I feel slightly more positive towards Iran than a state like Saudi Arabia or Pakistan, I'm not sure I will live to see normalized relations between the US and Iran.

sol can find me here

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 16th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Oh, yeah, that's good point regarding Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Pakistan and so many others. Many countries the West supports have either very questionable democracies or outright dictatorships so indeed they are in no position to actually lecture anyone unless they withdraw their support for such regimes. Problem is that they tend to forget and completely ignore these facts, they have a history of installing horrible leaders and regimes that have brought nothing but suffering to the people just so that they toe the line... The list of those countries is very long and Iran has also been on the receiving end of Western meddling for far too long. And indeed it does not look like the relations can improve in the foreseeable future, it will probably get much worse before getting any better. One has to feel sorry for the Iranian people who are held hostage to geopolitical games...

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 17th, 2019, 1:15 am

I absolutely feel for the Iranian people, some I have even considered my friends.

Another question along those lines, how much of the current trends in migration away from Central America is the result of US Contra policies of the Reagan/Bush I era? If nothing else, it hasn't helped any, that's for certain. If the US funded, trained, and gave weapons to anti-communist paramilitaries, when did they return those weapons? How has that training been used? Could any of it have contributed to gang violence? There's a good chance a story is conveniently ignored, especially in the eras of Kakistration's desire to seal off only the southern border.

sol can find me here

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 17th, 2019, 3:46 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 6:55 pm
One egg wasn't enough

Pheew, for a second I thought he wanted to get rid of criminal migrants, but it's just migrant criminals. Yeah, good riddance to criminals who move from place to place. Like from England to Australia - and their families and descendants!
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 17th, 2019, 9:07 am

xianjiro wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 1:15 am
I absolutely feel for the Iranian people, some I have even considered my friends.

Another question along those lines, how much of the current trends in migration away from Central America is the result of US Contra policies of the Reagan/Bush I era? If nothing else, it hasn't helped any, that's for certain. If the US funded, trained, and gave weapons to anti-communist paramilitaries, when did they return those weapons? How has that training been used? Could any of it have contributed to gang violence? There's a good chance a story is conveniently ignored, especially in the eras of Kakistration's desire to seal off only the southern border.
This is a good question indeed yet nobody seems to address it... I read up a bit about the infamous "School of the Americas" now called "Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation"... it was basically the largest school of dictators in history. Pilger has made some documentaries on the subject, very interesting stuff.. Regarding immigration, drug trafficking and gun violence - these are in many cases the direct causes of the meddling. One could see it being justified back in the USSR times when they were indeed fighting a war against the reds across the world, but what happened after the collapse of USSR? Where did Al-Qaeda and ISIS actually come from? The very inconvenient truth... the European migrant crisis has been directly caused by the US (and several European countries) meddling in the Middle East, the entire region has been completely destabilized, - look at what's happening in Libya as we speak, most likely a new wave of refugees is coming to Europe.
Last edited by bal3x on April 17th, 2019, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 17th, 2019, 9:10 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 3:46 am
XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 6:55 pm
One egg wasn't enough
Pheew, for a second I thought he wanted to get rid of criminal migrants, but it's just migrant criminals. Yeah, good riddance to criminals who move from place to place. Like from England to Australia - and their families and descendants!
It's so idiotic and hilarious at the same time when folks from the US or Australia start talking rubbish about "their country being invaded by immigrants" completely forgetting their own history...

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » April 17th, 2019, 9:13 am

xianjiro wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 4:01 pm
btw, while the West is 'ignoring' the decline of Christian civilationsation in the EU, this happened and nobody in the said West seems to notice/care:Fire breaks out near mosque on Temple Mount

From what I've been able to read, it doesn't sound like anything as catastrophic as Notre Dame, but I thought the 'politically correct fake news media' had turned it's back on Christian civilisation to fawn over Islam :think:
Practically no-one in the West cares about Moslem lives in that part of the world. You might get some hard left people who are upset about Palestine but that's it. If you want to see all the tragedies in the Middle East you have to watch Al-Jazeera. There's an implicit assumption in Europe that lives in the Arabian peninsula and North Africa are not worth as much. People respect what they see as greatness and nobility, that's why the death of a famous singer is sadder for them than a car bomb murdering a 100 people in Baghdad. I think some people on the left would see all lives as equal. Someone like my dad on the right would see someone who had "made good" in life as way more important than someone who was lazy or stupid. He would also look at middle eastern cultures as completely inferior, and doubtless have some comment to make about relative genetic health or some such insanity.

That said if the Blue Mosque in Istanbul went up it would have definitely been all over the news.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 17th, 2019, 9:17 am

@matthewscott8 - very good points.. I've always wondered why it is that we get 24h news coverage on a single casualty in the West whereas hundreds of people murdered in Middle East or Africa barely get a footnote..

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » April 17th, 2019, 10:02 am

Good read here about Pakistan's nuclear weapons.

https://www.nti.org/learn/countries/pakistan/nuclear/

Basically they feel they need them because they're completely outmatched by India's conventional military firepower and would only use them if they felt their country was at risk of falling to an Indian invasion. I 'd like to see my country take the same stance. Get armed to the teeth with nukes and vow to nuke any country that attempted to invade us.

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » April 17th, 2019, 10:26 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 9:13 am
xianjiro wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Practically no-one in the West cares about Moslem lives in that part of the world. You might get some hard left people who are upset about Palestine but that's it. If you want to see all the tragedies in the Middle East you have to watch Al-Jazeera. There's an implicit assumption in Europe that lives in the Arabian peninsula and North Africa are not worth as much. People respect what they see as greatness and nobility, that's why the death of a famous singer is sadder for them than a car bomb murdering a 100 people in Baghdad. I think some people on the left would see all lives as equal. Someone like my dad on the right would see someone who had "made good" in life as way more important than someone who was lazy or stupid. He would also look at middle eastern cultures as completely inferior, and doubtless have some comment to make about relative genetic health or some such insanity.

That said if the Blue Mosque in Istanbul went up it would have definitely been all over the news.
I've often wondered how 'progressives' can get so worked up about racism when it occurs in America and then not give a shit about their government's involvement in murdering innocent people abroad. But the simple answer is that they're unaware of their own racism.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » April 17th, 2019, 11:51 am

April 17th, 2019, 10:02 am
Good read here about Pakistan's nuclear weapons.

https://www.nti.org/learn/countries/pakistan/nuclear/

Basically they feel they need them because they're completely outmatched by India's conventional military firepower and would only use them if they felt their country was at risk of falling to an Indian invasion. I 'd like to see my country take the same stance. Get armed to the teeth with nukes and vow to nuke any country that attempted to invade us.
Thanks for the link, very informative, I was not aware they are outside any treaties....
Pakistan currently possesses a growing nuclear arsenal, and remains outside both the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) and the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT).
Eventually, from the 1980s onwards, the Khan network diversified its activities and illicitly transferred nuclear technology and expertise to Iran, North Korea, and Libya.
:facepalm:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 17th, 2019, 3:47 pm

What the world needs now
Is guns and bombs
It's the only thing
There's just too little of

What the world needs now
Is guns and bombs
No, not just for some
but for everyone.

sol can find me here

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 17th, 2019, 5:07 pm

xianjiro wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 3:47 pm
What the world needs now
Is guns and bombs
It's the only thing
There's just too little of

What the world needs now
Is guns and bombs
No, not just for some
but for everyone.
Man still has one Belief
One Decree that stands alone
The laying down of Arms
Is like a cancer to their Bones.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » April 17th, 2019, 5:25 pm

April 17th, 2019, 10:26 am
I've often wondered how 'progressives' can get so worked up about racism when it occurs in America and then not give a shit about their government's involvement in murdering innocent people abroad. But the simple answer is that they're unaware of their own racism.
Well, if we elect fewer racists, then there will be less racists in government trying to murder people because they are foreigners who look and talk different.

Treat the root, not the symptoms.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » April 17th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Good news from Canada, Conservatives win in Alberta, let’s hope they can sweep aside the awful Trudeau in October

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » April 17th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 5:25 pm
Well, if we elect fewer racists, then there will be less racists in government trying to murder people because they are foreigners who look and talk different.

But a lot of 'progressives' don't see indifference about the suffering of people in other countries as being racist. That's the problem. Hence they'll lose their shit over domestic racism and then shrug their shoulders as the government participates in murdering people abroad.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 17th, 2019, 11:54 pm

April 17th, 2019, 9:00 pm
Kublai Khan wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 5:25 pm

But a lot of 'progressives' don't see indifference about the suffering of people in other countries as being racist. That's the problem. Hence they'll lose their shit over domestic racism and then shrug their shoulders as the government participates in murdering people abroad.
Yes. It's simply amazing how NO ONE noticed when the Kakistration took children from their parents at the southern border simply because they are of 'mixed race', many of whom speak a language that is also widely spoken in the US, who are quite poor, and who have the audacity to ask for asylum and the chance at a better future. Yup, everyone just fired up Netflix and moved on as the kids were 'lost' in the system and the parents put into cages. No one on the left noticed, let alone gave a shit. Simply no one.

And no one has cared as people from Africa and Middle East have walked across Turkey and Balkans or boarded rickety vessels to make the journey across the Middle Sea.

No one protested the invasion of Iraq. No one cares that there are wars in Syria, Yemen, and Libya. At least no one on the left. No progressives cared when Shithole vetoed legislation to end US support for the proxy war in Yemen.

No one cares.

But one wonders where you get your news from.

sol can find me here

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » April 18th, 2019, 5:39 am

Strawman. I didn't say no one cares.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » April 18th, 2019, 7:24 am

Okay, so how many will qualify as enough to satisfy you then?

And I believe I was going for hyperbole.

sol can find me here

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 18th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Wait... a right wing political youtuber, the guy who said that the world in Starship Troopers is a good one, actually entered politics? :facepalm:

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » April 18th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Jesus this youtuber is worse than I thought