Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1932 (Results), 2015 awards (May 23rd), 1930s (May 24th)
Challenges: Western, Iran, Cannes
Film of the Week: Ramrod, June nominations (May 24th)

US Politics thread

RBG

Re: US Politics thread

Post by RBG » March 12th, 2019, 3:19 pm

oh yeah i saw this yesterday. i don't know how i'm still gobsmacked every day that this petty piece of shit is our president. also he's now claiming he didn't call tim cook "tim apple" ....even though it was on tv :blink:

they bombard us with lies in an attempt to destroy truth. truth is whatever 'I' say it is. the methods of totalitarian dictators. fox is busy abetting him so any charges or crimes uncovered will be illegitimate to his fanclub. i wish i knew how this all turns out...
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » March 12th, 2019, 3:32 pm

monmouth national dem poll (538 considers monmouth to be the best current pollster)

With Biden:
Biden: 28%
Sanders: 25%
Harris: 10%
Everyone Else: single digits

Without Biden:
Sanders: 32%
Harris: 15%
Warren: 10%
Everyone Else: single digits

beto has missed his window i think. that said, trump hadn't entered the race at this point in 2015

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/11/politics ... index.html

yay buttigieg did very well off of his town hall appearance. he may make the debate stage after all :D
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » March 12th, 2019, 4:14 pm

:lol: Yang says he has enough donors to qualify for the debates.

RBG

Post by RBG » March 12th, 2019, 4:33 pm

also on track: marianne williamson, oprah's spiritual adviser :blink: i don't know anything about this woman but she's written 4 nyt #1 bestsellers

she ran for congress in california in 2014 -- and lost. her only political experience
It is a task of our generation to recreate the American politeia, to awaken from our culture of distraction and re-engage the process of democracy with soulfulness and hope. Yes, we see there are problems in the world. But we believe in a universal force that, when activated by the human heart, has the power to make all things right. Such is the divine authority of love: to renew the heart, renew the nations, and ultimately, renew the world
:satstunned: she's done a lot of work with aids patients and women's empowerment, believes in reparations, MFA and GND, and is a life-long anti-war activist
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 12th, 2019, 4:55 pm

"it got worsts & worse"

yeah, like bigly

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

RBG

Post by RBG » March 12th, 2019, 5:37 pm

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » March 12th, 2019, 5:39 pm

he had some idiot thoughts on the complexity of airplanes too. nothing to do with facts of course

in other news a bunch of parents including actresses felicity huffman and lori loughlin were charged in a college cheating scandal

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/colle ... index.html

rich people :rolleyes: no surprise this is going on, just that someone got caught
Actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin are among dozens of parents, elite college coaches and college prep executives accused of carrying out a national conspiracy to get students into prestigious colleges, according to a massive federal indictment.

Federal prosecutors said the scheme had two major pieces. In the first part, parents allegedly paid a college prep organization to take the test on behalf of students or correct their answers. Secondly, the organization allegedly bribed college coaches to help admit the students into college as recruited athletes, regardless of their actual ability, prosecutors said.
what if your kids were actually smart <_<
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » March 12th, 2019, 8:30 pm

ha. wait this college admissions scandal is pretty gross

so like not ONLY were they taking athletic admissions for non-athletes but they were faking learning disabilities to get admitted :(

not EXACTLY politics but all about rich people white privilege blah blah
U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling called the parents charged in the case “a catalog of wealth and privilege.” The schemes involved paying better students to take the SAT or ACT on the rich kids’ behalf, straight-up changing answers on the tests after the kids took them, having therapists help them get extra time on their exams, and even bribing university athletics’ coaches to pretend the students were athletic recruits. Many of the students were unaware their parents were cheating on the tests for them, the FBI said. The payments were made through a non-profit and disguised as charitable donations. According to the FBI, some parents paid up to $6.5 million for “guaranteed admission” to colleges.
:yucky: meanwhile regular people take on years worth of debt to attend college. timing of this seems convenient, re-focusing rage on hollywood 'elites'?

https://www.propublica.org/article/the- ... to-harvard kushner got into harvard for 2.5 million in 1998

meanwhile:

:ermm:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » March 13th, 2019, 8:23 am

Just watched the interview + Q&A in its entirety. Absolutely fantastic:

RBG

Post by RBG » March 13th, 2019, 10:25 am

I have to wish Biden would sit this out but he'll probably announce this week. OF COURSE I will support Bernie over biden
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » March 13th, 2019, 10:35 am

Sadly the silent generation are not that silent when it comes to voting. :D

Oh, apologies if I become the ugly tourist during this election, I will without a doubt be following it very closely.

-

I watched the Pete Buttigieg Town Hall as well. I love the way he communicates and frames issues, though it is disappointing that his actual policies are half measures of half measures, such as promoting a Public Option - for people to buy into, as opposed to Universal Healthcare.

RBG

Post by RBG » March 13th, 2019, 2:25 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 10:35 am
Sadly the silent generation are not that silent when it comes to voting. :D

Oh, apologies if I become the ugly tourist during this election, I will without a doubt be following it very closely.
ok i'll try not to get angry too much. i'm a hothead :circle:

in 2018 voters 18-39 made up only 22% of the vote. voters over 50 made up 63%. millenials outnumber boomers but boomers still outvote millenials by more than 2 to 1

andrew yang got a big surge from reddit and the chans after appearing on joe rogan and tucker carlson's shows. richard spencer even endorsed him. then yang did what every decent politicians should do: he disavowed their support
“I denounce and disavow hatred, bigotry, racism, white nationalism, anti-Semitism and the alt-right in all its many forms. Full stop,” Yang said in a statement. “For anyone with this agenda, we do not want your support. We do not want your votes. You are not welcome in this campaign.”

“As one of the first Asian American candidates for President in our history and the son of immigrants, I see racism and white nationalism as a threat to the core ideals of what it means to be an American,” Yang continued. “I have two young children who will grow up in this country. I know what that means. “
:thumbsup: now how hard was that
Last edited by RBG on March 13th, 2019, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » March 13th, 2019, 3:41 pm

manafort being sentenced in DC

he's got a lady judge and she is not taking any shit :shifty:

- Count 1: 60 months, with 30 months concurrent with EDVA sentence
- Count 2: 13 months, to run consecutive to count 1 and the EDVA sentence

so that's just over 6 years, less time served. still disappointing :folded:
Last edited by RBG on March 13th, 2019, 4:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » March 13th, 2019, 3:55 pm

err...about those boeing plane crashes :/

the planes have been grounded in canada now leaving the US the only holdout. boeing boss is a trump donor

american airlines and southwest are the airlines flying this plane so best wishes if you're flying in the next couple of weeks

tucker carlson on a seemingly unscheduled vacation as fox continues to bleed advertisers B)
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » March 13th, 2019, 6:53 pm

ha ok they've backed down probably because news reports about how the shutdown just killed a bunch of people. all 737 MAX 8 & 9 grounded
"The United States has the greatest record in the world of aviation and we want to keep it that way. So I didn’t want to take any chances," he said. "We didn’t have to make this decision today. We could’ve delayed it, we maybe didn’t have to make it at all. But I felt it was important both psychologically and a lot of other ways."
more like he was under intense pressure from lawmakers after it was reported he'd been in touch with boeing CEO (a trump donor) who begged him not to ground the planes. 157 people dead including 8 americans for your stupid wall orange asshole :finger:
Last edited by RBG on March 13th, 2019, 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » March 13th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Yes apparently throughout the western world wealthy parents have bought children places in the best colleges. This would be the reason why the so called elite are now a lot less intelligent than they used to be, I mean we have brains May and genius Corbyn who does not read, and you have Trump and whoever the dull boring candidate would be for the Dems , Joe Biden, perhaps, did he have a charisma bypass operation?

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » March 13th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Manafort sentence seems reasonable, again it’s not political.

RBG

Post by RBG » March 13th, 2019, 7:08 pm

he's still angling for a pardon. the state of new york is filing 16 charges against him that won't be pardonable however: residential mortgage fraud, falsifying business records, conspiracy

his lawyer was shouted down trying to make a statement outside the courthouse about 'no collusion.' :rolleyes:
Natasha Bertrand (@NatashaBertrand) Judge ABJ, pointedly: The question of collusion or conspiracy with Russia was not presented in this case, therefore it was not resolved in this case. (Manafort lawyer Kevin Downing had said last week that the Virginia trial proved there was no evidence of collusion.)
so why do they keep talking about collusion?
Last edited by RBG on March 13th, 2019, 7:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » March 13th, 2019, 7:27 pm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1QU1E8

fyi manafort can still be charged in mueller's probe
The continuing investigation cited by Andres, a member of Mueller’s team, related to Manafort’s interactions with Konstantin Kilimnik, his former business associate who the special counsel has said has ties to Russian intelligence. Manafort and Kilimnik, a Russian, worked together for more than a decade as consultants for pro-Kremlin politicians in Ukraine.

A January court filing showed Manafort was accused by prosecutors of lying about sharing with Kilimnik in 2016 polling data related to Trump’s campaign. The New York Times also reported that Manafort asked that Kilimnik pass the data to two Ukrainian oligarchs, Serhiy Lyovochkin and Rinat Akhmetov, who had financed pro-Russian Ukrainian political parties that had paid Manafort millions of dollars as a political consultant.

At issue is why Manafort passed along the polling data. Prosecutors also are examining Manafort’s discussions with Kilimnik about a policy proposal aimed at resolving the conflict in Ukraine in a way favorable to the Kremlin....

Andrew Weissmann, another Mueller prosecutor, said at a Feb. 4 hearing that Manafort’s alleged lies about interactions with Kilimnik were significant because they related to “what we think the motive here is.” Weissmann added, “This goes, I think, very much to the heart of what the Special Counsel’s office is investigating,” a comment that suggested Mueller’s team was still digging into the matter.
there's your collusion :shifty:
Legal experts have pointed to more than a dozen other incidents that could come under Mueller’s scrutiny. These include: [...] the dangling of possible presidential pardons to Manafort and others.

now trump picks it up: the verdict proves there was no collusion. this isn't true as the judge pointed out multiple times. he says no collusion 7 times in this 1 minute clip :facepalm: methinks he doth protest too much
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » March 13th, 2019, 8:23 pm

oh look here's trump's big chance to stop a war
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » March 13th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Who Is Andrew Yang, and Why Do the Gen Z Kids Love Him?

I love Andrew Yang!

My preferred list of candidates (from the ones who have announced)

Have my full support:
1. Bernie Sanders
2. Tulsi Gabbard
3. Andrew Yang
4. Elizabeth Warren

Have my support:
5. Kamala Harris
6. Pete Buttigieg
7. Beto O'Rourke
8. Jay Inslee

Not sure:
9. Julian Castro
10. Cory Booker
11. John Hickenlooper

Meh
12. Kirsten Gillibrand
13. Amy Klobuchar
14. Joe Biden
15. Wayne Messam
16. Marianne Williamson
17. Bill Weld
18. John Delaney
19. Donald Trump

Yang now better odds than Warren LOL.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » March 13th, 2019, 9:10 pm

I believe there was no collusion, and if there was I think we would know. Why do non Americans care so much about no hoper candidates for President.

RBG

Post by RBG » March 13th, 2019, 9:18 pm

and if there was I think we would know.
we do know. but even if there was it wasn't a crime right? lol well then there's always obstruction

the acting attorney general of the united states lied to congress about whether he had discussed how to 'fix' these cases with his boss
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » March 13th, 2019, 11:11 pm

and beto's in, with a vanity fair cover story photographed by annie leibovitz. splashy https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/03 ... verso=true

B)
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » March 13th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Manafort being indicted in New York which means he could still serve prison time even if Trump pardons him :wub:

Also, I got an email from Pete's campaign that he so far has 55,359 donors, which means he needs about 10,000 more to qualify for the debates.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » March 14th, 2019, 12:26 am

The former El Paso Congressman will make the announcement on Thursday morning, but he confirmed via text to KTSM Wednesday afternoon that he is seeking the Democratic nomination.

"I'm really proud of what El Paso did and what El Paso represents," O'Rourke said in the text. "It's a big part of why I'm running. This city is the best example of this country at its best."

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » March 14th, 2019, 1:53 pm

I am not going to link to the video, as it is simply too insane and does not deserve the views, but there is a new right wing conspiracy theory that AOC is an actress working purely on the instructions of her chief of staff and ... Cenk Uyger.

The evidence: That Justice Democrats exist ... and openly tell people that they screen candidates to see who they will support ...

Hundreds of thousands of people have already seen it.

Incredible. :D

RBG

Post by RBG » March 14th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Of course. Cute girls are bubble heads. Only men have ideas. Every female candidate ever - bubble heads or battle axes (Hillary etc)
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » March 14th, 2019, 6:51 pm

:D

Schulz should drop out now. No one likes him. He's literally only there to protest taxing the rich. tehe
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » March 14th, 2019, 7:34 pm

THe Senate voted to block Trump's national emergency in a 59-41 vote :O 12 Republicans voted with Democrats.

The Republicans who voted with the Democrats were:
Lamar Alexander Tenn.
Roy Blunt Mo.
Susan Collins Me.
Mike Lee Utah
Jerry Moran Kan.
Lisa Murkowski Alaska
Rand Paul Ky.
Rob Portman Ohio
Mitt Romney Utah
Marco Rubio Fla.
Patrick J. Toomey Pa.
Roger Wicker Miss.

Trump afterwards:

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » March 14th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Rosario Dawson is saying she's dating Cory Booker.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/14/rosario- ... president/

RBG

Post by RBG » March 14th, 2019, 11:53 pm

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/13/18263894/ ... murphy-lee

they also voted -- again -- to end the US role in yemen, 54-46. trump will veto this too :(
“This war is both a humanitarian and a strategic disaster, and Congress has the opportunity to end it,” Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), one of the bill’s sponsors and a 2020 presidential candidate, said in a Tuesday statement. According to humanitarian agencies, at least 85,000 children have starved to death in Yemen since the war began and around 14 million are at risk of famine.

The bill, co-sponsored by Sanders along with Sens. Mike Lee (R-UT) and Chris Murphy (D-CT), invokes the War Powers Resolution of 1973, which states that if US troops are involved in “hostilities” abroad “without a declaration of war or specific statutory authorization, such forces shall be removed by the President if the Congress so directs by concurrent resolution.”

This was the second time the GOP-controlled Senate has voted on this bill. Last December, the same measure passed 56-41. But then-Speaker of the House Paul Ryan opted not to hold a vote on the legislation in his chamber, thereby killing it in the last Congress.
our president is too busy giving veiled warnings about what might happen if he is removed from office

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... fa918ddf91
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » March 15th, 2019, 3:25 pm

RBG wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 10:25 am
I have to wish Biden would sit this out but he'll probably announce this week. OF COURSE I will support Bernie over biden
thank you
you're a hero.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » March 15th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Obviously I am biased against Beto O'Rourke, but did his announcement quote from Vanity Fair rub anybody else the wrong way?

The quote (if hard to read)

"I want to be in it.
Man, I'm just born to be in it"

(To be fair, he likely did not pick the cover quote)

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 15th, 2019, 9:46 pm

Order of preference at this stage
Gabbard
Sanders
Yang
Warren.

That's it.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 15th, 2019, 10:44 pm

So, I think we were talking about holding US policy makers accountable for war crimes, crimes against humanity, etc. This just in...

U.S. imposes visa bans on International Criminal Court investigators - Pompeo

Think the message is loud and clear - the US is beyond the law. Can't say it comes as any surprise.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal

Post by Grunge Rock & Ally McBeal » March 15th, 2019, 11:26 pm

Yep. That's why I asked, a couple of weeks ago, if there was a line the US could cross that would make the international community impose sanctions on it.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » March 16th, 2019, 12:59 am

Beto O'Rouke being a former member of the Cult of the Dead Cow hacker group makes me like him a hell of a lot more.