Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Iberian (Results), Musicals (Dec 15th), 1952 awards (Dec 21st), 2006 (Dec 23rd), Directors (Dec 31st)
Challenges: Forum Lists, Documentary, Canada
World Cup: Round 2 schedule, Match 2H (Dec 16th), R3 preparation (Dec 30th)
Film of the Week: Il pianeta azzurro

Paris Gilets Jaunes Protests/Riots 2018: Pictures & Videos Thread

Carmel1379
Donator

Paris Gilets Jaunes Protests/Riots 2018: Pictures & Videos Thread

Post by Carmel1379 » December 4th, 2018, 12:33 pm

All these taken from twitter. Please add your own.

Last edited by Carmel1379 on December 4th, 2018, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr, blog
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 4th, 2018, 12:36 pm

whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 4th, 2018, 12:38 pm

whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 4th, 2018, 12:40 pm

whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 4th, 2018, 12:45 pm

whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 4th, 2018, 12:45 pm

whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 4th, 2018, 12:50 pm

whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 4th, 2018, 12:50 pm

whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

flaiky

Post by flaiky » December 4th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Madness. Frightening.

I'm sympathetic to public protests but not this level of rioting. I don't care how angry you are, don't fucking set fire to an innocent person's car.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » December 4th, 2018, 2:06 pm

flaiky wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 1:42 pm
Madness. Frightening.

I'm sympathetic to public protests but not this level of rioting. I don't care how angry you are, don't fucking set fire to an innocent person's car.
There's an old grudge opposing the countryside against Paris in France, it traditionnally pops up every once in a while... Usually some of the people from various regions of France feel Parisians despise them and ignore their needs. Most people from the government live in Paris, and the richest of french people also mostly live in Paris, on the western side of the city.
France is hardly a balanced country, as its biggest city drains a lot of the country's capital, cash, and job opportunities, whereas many areas are becoming more and more deserted, especially with regards to public services such as schooling, public transportation or medical care. This condensates a lot of the resentment that has been building up for some time already.
This certainly explains part of the violence at play here, and why it mostly happens in Paris... Also many left-wing and right-wing extremists have joined the movement, only to add to the chaos... They are well-organized and looking for a fight. It is strange that people with such radically different worldviews would join forces, but the intent to create a disturbance is probably stronger here than these guys' deep political beliefs...

RBG

Post by RBG » December 4th, 2018, 2:09 pm

is it true this began on facebook?

from the guardian. i like graffittis :$

cinephage do you live in paris?? what's it like on the ground there. can you go out?
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » December 4th, 2018, 2:29 pm

Yes, it is true many of these angry people used Facebook to get organized, as this is a spontaneous movement, there is no actual leader, and most political or union representatives are out of their depth, as they are themselves rejected and the target of part of the anger... They didn't know one another in the beginning, things grew bigger and bigger, and the mood was ripe for action.
In Paris, only a few places are really damaged, these are symbolic places of either the Republic or Paris, and mostly in the western side of the city. I haven't seen any of these trouble, except when public buses and subways are disturbed... But, as spectacular as this may look, only a little number of people are responsible for this, slightly over 3 000 people. That's hardly half the audience of one of the huge concerts that occur every week in Paris. So this movement is spectacular in its violence, not in its size, in Paris at least.
In many other places in France, the discontent people just block car traffic and protest peacefully, they add up to something between 150,000 and 200,000 people in total. Still, the french usually support angry reactions, and the taxation and economical environment has hurt everybody, which is why these contestants are receiving a wide support from the more peaceful population (except in Paris, where this has become insane).

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 4th, 2018, 3:41 pm

Sometimes, violence is justified, and as long it's not directed towards people, i'm willing to tolerate it, especially if it's for self-defence. I definitely side with the protestsors (and definitely the overwhelming peaceful majority) than with the government. #The sun king is going down!

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » December 4th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 3:41 pm
Sometimes, violence is justified, and as long it's not directed towards people, i'm willing to tolerate it, especially if it's for self-defence. I definitely side with the protestsors (and definitely the overwhelming peaceful majority) than with the government. #The sun king is going down!
Who cares about the sun king ??
France is simply going down. Period. This movement has no demand, no plan, no request, people can't agree on a common purpose, they even refuse to discuss with anybody in charge... It is just a blind outburst of violence towards furniture, other people's property and policemen. I understand some of the reasons behind this outburst, but can't see any good coming out of it. There is no political leader who will me more popular than Macron, there is no one to take his place. No one has a legitimacy, and most others will be as unpopular with people, except they will also scare investors and companies, which will not help the economy and people's conditions of life...
People will remain, or return, in the streets no matter what, until they get tired, because no one can really change their situation in the short run.

RBG

Post by RBG » December 4th, 2018, 6:06 pm

facebook is the devil

more 'active measures'?
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

flaiky

Post by flaiky » December 4th, 2018, 6:44 pm

cinephage wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 4:18 pm
There is no political leader who will me more popular than Macron, there is no one to take his place.
If, hypothetically, these protests succeeded in 'overthrowing' him - forcing a resignation or whatever, what is the process in France for replacing the President? Would there have to be a general election? Just curious.
Let the ashes fly

Teproc

Post by Teproc » December 4th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Well, there's no legal way to "overthrow" the president (the Parliament can depose the Prime Minister but can't do anything to the President), so he'd have to resign I suppose, in which case yes, there would be a new presidential election. In the meantime, the President of the Senate (Gérard Larcher IIRC, moderate right but not part of Macron's majority) would assume the office.

This will not happen, in case you're wondering. The gilets jaunes is a spectacular movement, and one that is certainly significant, but this is not 1789, or even 1968.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » December 4th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Thanks, no I'm just interested in different political systems.
Let the ashes fly

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » December 5th, 2018, 7:18 am

flaiky wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 6:44 pm
cinephage wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 4:18 pm
There is no political leader who will me more popular than Macron, there is no one to take his place.
If, hypothetically, these protests succeeded in 'overthrowing' him - forcing a resignation or whatever, what is the process in France for replacing the President? Would there have to be a general election? Just curious.
Either that, or he doesn't resign and the new election if for the parliament... But I don't see any alternative leader which would be legitimate enough to avoid new demonstations in the near future... And I don't feel a protest of 300,000 people should really trigger a new vote, in a country of more or less 40 million voters.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » December 5th, 2018, 11:19 am

cinephage wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 2:06 pm
flaiky wrote:
Madness. Frightening.

There's an old grudge opposing the countryside against Paris in France, it traditionnally pops up every once in a while... Usually some of the people from various regions of France feel Parisians despise them and ignore their needs. Most people from the government live in Paris, and the richest of french people also mostly live in Paris, on the western side of the city.
France is hardly a balanced country, as its biggest city drains a lot of the country's capital, cash, and job opportunities, whereas many areas are becoming more and more deserted, especially with regards to public services such as schooling, public transportation or medical care. This condensates a lot of the resentment that has been building up for some time already.
This certainly explains part of the violence at play here, and why it mostly happens in Paris... Also many left-wing and right-wing extremists have joined the movement, only to add to the chaos... They are well-organized and looking for a fight. It is strange that people with such radically different worldviews would join forces, but the intent to create a disturbance is probably stronger here than these guys' deep political beliefs...
Isn't this true for most Western countries? Most English hate London, Amsterdam is also not like by many Dutch living in the country, lots of American hate those liberal big cities like NY or LA, etc.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » December 5th, 2018, 11:34 am

It's quite possible. In Paris's case, the city is known for concentrating most of the countries ressources in a strongly unbalanced manner. Many government have aimed to decentralize in order to balance things out, but the effort remains weak. Especially in recent times, the effort has centered on reducing public service cost, and a lot of this involved closing small schools and clinics, who do not cover a large enough part of the population for what they cost. Trains have also stopped on many small railways that join small places...
Of course, the approach to all of this was mostly economical, and the estimates never included the collateral, difficult to estimate, profits that having public services create in a small community : a sense of belonging, the proximity of most services, a non-quantifiable quality of life. The changes have been going for some time, and many small places resent the situation.

RBG

Post by RBG » December 5th, 2018, 8:50 pm

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ry ... s-facebook

Here’s how Facebook tore France apart.
Any kind of internet conspiracy theory you can imagine, there’s probably a Yellow Jacket in an Anger Group spreading it, including the theory that Facebook is censoring every Yellow Jackets post.
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Teproc

Post by Teproc » December 6th, 2018, 1:56 pm

"Facebook tore France apart" is like saying Twitter created the Egyptian revolution. It's a way American media has to make everything about American things all the time. It's ridiculous hyperbole on both counts (France being torn apart and Facebook being responsible for it).

RBG

Post by RBG » December 6th, 2018, 2:16 pm

you could be right but it certainly isn't helping. this article from october really set me back

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ry ... atedmanual

i certainly think it was weaponized and had a disastrous effect in our 2016 election. the internet is changing everything

we elected a meme :satstunned: i think we have to be concerned. the far-right seeks to overthrow democracy through new media
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 7th, 2018, 7:21 am

Students on more than 100 schools joined the protests, and the army is arresting them. The police and the firemen couldn't do it, because they joined the protests as well, and there will be more protests this weekend, mainly from police and firemen.

#TheSunKingIsGoingDown #WeNeedToFightBACK

The Elysée fears massive violences in Paris Saturday: the indications in the country are "extremely alarming", a hard core of thousands of people could come in Paris to "destroy and kill"

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/economie/tr ... 86245.html

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » December 7th, 2018, 12:12 pm

I think generally a lot of people in the West are unhappy. There's been a breakdown in morality, expectations are through the roof, there are no jobs for life for most people, so work is a constant anxiety. Rioting is a lot of fun, and if people feel they have little to lose, and no scruples, they will do it. We had it in England in 2011. This sort of stuff will start happening a lot more I imagine.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » December 7th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 7:21 am

Students on more than 100 schools joined the protests, and the army is arresting them. The police and the firemen couldn't do it, because they joined the protests as well, and there will be more protests this weekend, mainly from police and firemen.
stop the bs, just another angle

#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 7th, 2018, 8:38 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 7:16 pm
Lakigigar wrote:

It's the same thing from a direct angle???

RBG

Post by RBG » December 7th, 2018, 8:55 pm

https://news.sky.com/story/anger-as-rio ... n-11573997
The students were detained by police in the Paris suburb of Mantes-la-Jolie, in unrest that has spread to dozens of schools during three weeks of anti-government demonstrations.

A total of 146 people were arrested outside the town's Saint-Exupery high school after protesters clashed with police and burned two cars.
i thought you were all for law and order and tough sentencing last week :lol:
#5366 Post by Lakigigar » 27 Nov 2018 13:31
I believe we should be very tough on crimes that cause victims. We're way too slack in dealing with crime. I can't understand why we're so slack on crimes. It's like the government even encourages people to commit crimes.
i guess you didn't mean property crimes. because...property is a crime! :ph43r:

i remember those riots in britain in 2011. it seemed like a lot of ordinary people got caught up in it out of boredom. it was frankly disturbing

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » December 7th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 8:38 pm
hurluberlu wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 7:16 pm
Lakigigar wrote:

It's the same thing from a direct angle???
Both pics are from the same video
https://mobile.twitter.com/Obs_Violence ... 1150286%2F
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

RBG

Post by RBG » December 7th, 2018, 9:38 pm

i don't see anything about police and firemen joining the protests. 90,000 police will be deployed across france tmrw

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 71596.html

it looks bad
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

flaiky

Post by flaiky » December 7th, 2018, 11:30 pm

RBG wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 8:55 pm
i remember those riots in britain in 2011. it seemed like a lot of ordinary people got caught up in it out of boredom. it was frankly disturbing
Hmm, technically ordinary people but pretty much everyone involved was the type you 'expect', if you know what I mean. I think very few totally peaceful, law abiding citizens were suddenly caught up in violence and looting.

I was honestly amazed we didn't see a return to rioting after Grenfell, social tension was so high during that first week. It would have been much more understandable than the 2011 riots.
Let the ashes fly

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » Yesterday, 11:28 am

flaiky wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 11:30 pm
RBG wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 8:55 pm
Hmm, technically ordinary people but pretty much everyone involved was the type you 'expect', if you know what I mean. I think very few totally peaceful, law abiding citizens were suddenly caught up in violence and looting.

I was honestly amazed we didn't see a return to rioting after Grenfell, social tension was so high during that first week. It would have been much more understandable than the 2011 riots.
Well, most of the folks involved in 2011 were intelligent enough to grasp the irony of burning stuff as a protest against a towerblock inferno. They most likely remembered the pictures on the news of Deans Furnishers and the Sony warehouse on fire. I tend just to think of most peaceful law abiding people as people with a stake in society, sure you don't go and commit a load of crimes if you could have your property and assets diminished by doing it. So perforce you don't really see people like that take part in protests against the system, that doesn't mean they don't have a capability for violence. Obviously there are also people who wouldn't damage property under pretty much any cirumstances.

RBG

Post by RBG » Yesterday, 4:50 pm

I just came to post this. Good luck!
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Teproc

Post by Teproc » Yesterday, 5:07 pm

Just in case: the Gilets Jaunes is about many things, but not about the Paris agreements, which aren't really a subject of political debate in France. There is a tenous connection in that one of the core complaints was about oil prices (I guess you say "gas prices", which is confusing to me) being too high because of ecologically motivated taxes, but that's not really the same as Trump's "we're paying for third world countries" rhetoric.

And the last part is obviously pure fiction.

Oh, and there aren't riots all over France. I live in a medium-sized city and I haven't seen a gilet jaune in two weeks. There's rioting in Paris (not as bad as it looks on TV but still pretty serious) and some in a few cities elsewhere, but not much as the movmement has been losing steam outside Paris (in parts because the most motivated/radical members have come to Paris).

RBG

Post by RBG » Yesterday, 5:28 pm

<_< So they don't want trump? We'll never get rid of this clown

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2 ... -ne/222224

AHAHAHA it's a Q-Anon hoax tehe more FAKE NEWS from INDIVIDUAL ONE who sure hangs with a very cool crowd B)
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

flaiky

Post by flaiky » Today, 12:13 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
Yesterday, 11:28 am
Well, most of the folks involved in 2011 were intelligent enough to grasp the irony of burning stuff as a protest against a towerblock inferno. They most likely remembered the pictures on the news of Deans Furnishers and the Sony warehouse on fire.
...and maybe remembered this fabulous woman! They could do with her in Paris, too.
Let the ashes fly

tobias

Post by tobias » Today, 3:37 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 11:19 am
cinephage wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 2:06 pm
flaiky wrote:
Madness. Frightening.

Isn't this true for most Western countries? Most English hate London, Amsterdam is also not like by many Dutch living in the country, lots of American hate those liberal big cities like NY or LA, etc.
Not necesarilly. I don't think it's true for Germany. I mean the Bavarians kind off dislike Berlin but Munich is 2 or 3 times as rich as Berlin and the rest of Germany dislikes Bavaria much more than they dislike Berlin. Also Berlin is below average German GDP. My hometown has a significantly higher GDP per capita even and it has less than 100.000 inhabitans and a decent chunk of unemployed.

I also don't know if it's true for Denmark. Denmark as a whole seems obsessed with Copenhagen (it's a very small country, Copenhagen is the only megapolis). Maybe people will say they dislike it but they are so focussed on it, it's hard to take them by their word.

I also don't know about Rome. Northern Italian cities are much richer.

And I'm relatively sure Bern (only the de facto capital of Switzerland though, de jure no capital exists) is not viewed negatively by too many Swiss.

There are probably more than a fair few. Generally small size of the country and worse economic situation of the capital should make it more liked.

Edit: France/Paris is especially disastrous, Paris is among the richest (and most populous - 12 mio people) regions in Europe but most of the rest of France is as poor as eastern Germany, though France didn't have half a century of planned economy, few countries are as centralistic as France (especially at that size):