Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Iberian (Results), Musicals (Dec 15th), 1952 awards (Dec 21st), 2006 (Dec 23rd), Directors (Dec 31st)
Challenges: Forum Lists, Documentary, Canada
World Cup: Round 2 schedule, Match 2H (Dec 16th), R3 preparation (Dec 30th)
Film of the Week: The Silent Partner

US Politics thread

Knaldskalle

Re: US Politics thread

Post by Knaldskalle » December 3rd, 2018, 7:00 pm

xianjiro wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 6:15 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 5:34 pm
RBG wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 12:18 pm
I seem to remember this particular family fleeing to Egypt as the head of their government, Herod, was trying to have them killed. Imagine Egypt separating the infants from the parents... I wonder how that would've worked out later.
One thing really troubles me about this photo. Isn't that migrant woman still clutching her child?!? :circle: Everyone knows migrants are only good at having children, not raising them. Kids should be caged separately and then lost in the matrix.
Nonsense, they make excellent nannies.
Personal film goals for 2018. Image Image

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 4th, 2018, 3:27 am

new poll

Dems
Biden 25%
Sanders 15%
Clinton 13%
O’Rourke 9%
Warren 4%
Booker 3%
Bloomberg 2%
Harris 2%
Avenatti 1%

If Clinton doesn't run:
Biden 28%
Sanders 21%
O’Rourke 7%
Warren 5%
Bloomberg 4%
Booker 4%
Harris 3%
Avenatti 2%

GOP
Trump 44%
Romney 6%
Kasich 6%
Cruz 5%
Ryan 5%
Bush 3%
Flake 2%
Haley 2%
Sasse 1%

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » December 4th, 2018, 4:18 am

Tomorrow is the Georgia Secretary of State Runoff election. Here's hoping that the Democrat candidate somehow wins.

I don't want to think about the 2020 Presidential Race until primaries actually begin. Sanders's fans are already smearing potential candidates.

Beto didn't accept PAC money. He lives in Texas and the above results can be easily expalined as there are a ton of people in Texas that work in the oil industry.

RBG

Post by RBG » December 4th, 2018, 2:23 pm

there's quite a mess in north carolina -- it seems GOP has been practicing voter fraud. shocking i know

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... -about-it/

also lame duck legislatures in wisconsin and michigan are trying to limit the powers of incoming dem governors and further restrict voting rights... these fucking people :shrug:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 4th, 2018, 3:34 pm

RBG wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 2:23 pm
there's quite a mess in north carolina -- it seems GOP has been practicing voter fraud. shocking i know

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... -about-it/

also lame duck legislatures in wisconsin and michigan are trying to limit the powers of incoming dem governors and further restrict voting rights... these fucking people :shrug:
Unfortunately this kind of dirty politicking has been very common in Wisconsin for at least the past dozen years on the part of the ReThugs, as I mentioned 6 months ago...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2810&p=496068&hili ... ha#p496068

although the new power grab seems to be directly influenced by a similar effort in... North Carolina! 2 years ago. No surprise these things are happening in states with growing minority populations where Reps have been (successfully) playing defense for the last couple of decades. If everybody actually got to vote, if elections were fair, if people voted in similar numbers across all demographics, this state would be True-Blue and I suspect NC and Michigan would be as well. Instead we have a Rep supermajority in the Assembly and a strong-enough majority in the Senate, and a Dem governor who won by a tiny majority. Not good enough for these assholes obviously.

RBG

Post by RBG » December 4th, 2018, 6:03 pm

on wisconsin

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... dadc1e8e63
In 2016, Republican assembly candidates in Wisconsin got about 161k more votes than the Dems and won 64 of the 99 seats.

In 2018, Democrats got about 205,000 more votes -- and Republicans won 63 of the 99 seats.
and the senate was finally briefed on the khashoggi killing. some reaction

but what about your new bff president pumpkinhead :huh:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 4th, 2018, 6:29 pm

touch the glowing orb and all is forgiven
orb touch photo opShow
no, not the least bit creepy

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 4th, 2018, 6:47 pm

How long before Graham walks back a lot of that, after his Lord and Master comes out and still claims again that MBS had nothing to do with it? Any bets? 12 hours? 24? 48? Good thing that in SC being a subservient weasel is no handicap to winning a Senate seat for a Republican. In fact at this moment it's probably an advantage - presuming Graham isn't AG, VP, Sec of State or something else by the time his next election rolls around.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » December 5th, 2018, 3:57 am

Mueller's memo about Flynn has been released.

I found a link here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 209845002/

Flynn has participated in 19 interviews with the Department of Justice. There is a lot of redactions about the information he provided, so this should get interesting. Also, Mueller is recommending that Flynn should not be incarcerated.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 5th, 2018, 7:37 am

LOCK 'EM UP!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 5th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Yes, i've became skeptical of Beto a lot... especially since Betomaniacs started to compare him with Macron, and the American Macron, and because of Berniecrats turning against him. Suddenly, i'm not so enthusiastic anymore about a Beto run. I really did appreciate him because he refused political action committee campaign contributions though partly, and because of his progressive signature in a state like Texas.

This is what he has done :(
  • The AFL-CIO failed to endorse him against Cruz because he voted to give Obama the power to fast-track the TPP (which puts him further right than Trump and HRC on this issue)
  • In 2015, he voted to weaken the Dodd-Frank financial reform law, changed his mind when a delay of the Volcker Rule was included, then voted to weaken that rule 3 years later
  • He voted to exempt mutual funds from stress-tests, which was supported by the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
  • He only voted against 3 of the 15 deregulatory bills put forward by the Republican-controlled House Financial Services Committee to gut Dodd-Frank
  • O'Rourke voted for a bill to make it easier for financial institutions to appeal regulators' decisions
  • He voted to triple the size of financial institutions considered to be small bank holding companies, thereby qualifying for to hold higher levels of risky debt
  • O'Rourke voted to create an unelected oversight board to restructure Puerto Rico's debt, which cuts pension benefits for Puerto Ricans, cut the island's minimum wage, and wants to cut the territory government's budget by 1/3rd
  • He receives consistently high ratings from the National Association of Police Officers for some of his votes, such as when he approved a bill that would implement a mandatory minimum of 15 years imprisonment for teens who even attempt to send or receive sexts
  • O'Rourke was 1 of 48 Democrats to vote to make it easier to execute someone for killing or trying to kill a police officer
  • He also voted for a bill that'd basically make police into a protected class by turning assaulting a police officer akin to a hate crime
  • Beto voted for FOSTA/SESTA, which was an anti-sex trafficking bill not supported by NAPO, but that has devestated sex workers
  • After voting against $225mil for replenishing Israel's "iron dome" missile defense system, he received intense lobbying pressure, received a sponsored trip to Israel, and was viciously attacked in the media; since then, O'Rourke has become a reliable vote for the pro-Israel lobby
  • Beto wrote to the UN opposing BDS, claiming the UN is "dangerously obsessed" with Israel and supported America's vote against condemning Israel's illegal settlement building
That pro-free trade and pro-Israel stances just make me dislike him.

Initially i was supportive of Macron as well... in january / february 2017 when i believed Fillon (who was front-runner) would crash, and that Macron would take his place (who was third or fourth, while PS primaries had yet to be held), but i quickly started to hate him, and didn't had an opinion in the second round of French presidential elections.

RBG

Post by RBG » December 5th, 2018, 7:36 pm

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 5th, 2018, 11:47 pm

The last Democratic president to die is LBJ in early 1973. What a long streak of no Democrat to die (partly because of LBJ's early death and JFK's murder). Truman died in december 1972 (LBJ in january 1973). Jimmy Carter needs to hold on for a bit! In the meantime, Nixon (1994), Ford (2006), Reagan (2004) and HW Bush (2018) all died. Also, lots of presidents die in december / winter time for some reason. The presidents still alive are: Carter (94), Trump (72), Bush 2 (72), Bill Clinton (72) and Barack Obama (57). Also remarkable: Trump, Bill and Bush were all born between 14 june 1946 and 19 augustus 1946, which might not be surprising at all because lots of parents will have waited to give birth to a child after the world war ended, especially the ones that were raised in families that were well off. Bernie Sanders is 77, Joe Biden is 76, HRC is 71. HW Bush is the president that became the oldest to have lived, but Jimmy Carter only has to live for 100 days in order to break the record that was just set.
Last edited by Lakigigar on December 5th, 2018, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sebby

Post by sebby » December 5th, 2018, 11:56 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 11:47 pm
The last Democratic president to die is LBJ in early 1973. What a long streak of no Democrat to die (partly because of LBJ's early death and JFK's murder). Truman died in december 1972 (LBJ in january 1973). Jimmy Carter needs to hold on for a bit! In the meantime, Nixon (1994), Ford (2006), Reagan (2004) and HW Bush (2018) all died. Also, lots of presidents die in december / winter time for some reason.
People in general are more likely to die in Winter. January, currently crouched in the bushes sharpening its claws, is the deadliest of all the months.

sebby

Post by sebby » December 6th, 2018, 12:00 am

Regarding Beto, he's like any other hot new candidate: once you scratch the surface a bit you get bummed out that he's less than you were hoping he was. But really, I only care that a candidate is electable, legitimately progressive, competent, and sane. The last two have to be underlined now for obvious reasons.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 6th, 2018, 12:00 am

sebby wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 11:56 pm
Lakigigar wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 11:47 pm
The last Democratic president to die is LBJ in early 1973. What a long streak of no Democrat to die (partly because of LBJ's early death and JFK's murder). Truman died in december 1972 (LBJ in january 1973). Jimmy Carter needs to hold on for a bit! In the meantime, Nixon (1994), Ford (2006), Reagan (2004) and HW Bush (2018) all died. Also, lots of presidents die in december / winter time for some reason.
People in general are more likely to die in Winter. January, currently crouched in the bushes sharpening its claws, is the deadliest of all the months.
Yeah actually, it was just Ford and Truman that died in december. Bush died in november. And LBJ died in january. And only three presidents died in december (George Washington also died in december). Adams, Monroe and Jefferson all died on july 4, so more presidents died on 4 july than in the month of december (and they are all founding fathers). 7 presidents died in july and 7 died in june. Only 3 died in december. 4 died in january. 2 died in november. 2 died in february.

So, in fact i was wrong. The summer months are deadlier months...

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 6th, 2018, 12:04 am

I also think Carter might outlive Trump and Bill Clinton. Clinton eats too much fast food. Trump isn't healthy at all i believe. And i can see Carter becoming 100 years old, while i can imagine Trump not becoming 80 years old.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 6th, 2018, 12:07 am

well, as long as Shithole and Holyman hold on until Pelosi is sworn in as Speaker - then, in January! - they can get a nice, nasty case of the Influenza Pox Plague for all I care :folded:

sol can find me here

RBG

Post by RBG » December 6th, 2018, 12:52 am

yay president pelosi :lol:

a guy at work was telling me how unqualified ocasio-cortez is. all i could say was: LOOK AT YOUR PRESIDENT :folded:

seriously, how dare they. now he calls me 'commie' :hmph:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 6th, 2018, 1:47 am

RBG wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 12:52 am
yay president pelosi :lol:

a guy at work was telling me how unqualified ocasio-cortez is. all i could say was: LOOK AT YOUR PRESIDENT :folded:

seriously, how dare they. now he calls me 'commie' :hmph:
being called a commie is a compliment. I'm very proud if people call me a commie.

sebby

Post by sebby » December 6th, 2018, 3:24 am

Lakigigar wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 12:04 am
I also think Carter might outlive Trump and Bill Clinton. Clinton eats too much fast food. Trump isn't healthy at all i believe. And i can see Carter becoming 100 years old, while i can imagine Trump not becoming 80 years old.
I believe Clinton switched to veganism after nearly dying. Probably why he's still alive. He's a lot slimmer now than he used to be, which correlates well with sailing into and past your eighties. Trump on the other hand is already playing with house money.

Carter will live forever.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 6th, 2018, 3:27 am

Trump is typically the kind of person that will die shortly after he leaves office. That's what my premonition tells me.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » December 6th, 2018, 8:39 am

Lakigigar wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:27 am
Trump is typically the kind of person that will die shortly after he leaves office. That's what my premonition tells me.
I had hoped he would typically be the kind of person that dies shortly after taking office. <_<
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

RBG

Post by RBG » December 6th, 2018, 8:43 am

lol SAME
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » December 6th, 2018, 2:56 pm

big disappointment in the q-anon camp as they were sure yesterday was the day the clintons and obamas would be clapped in irons and taken away...

also SOMEONE is pushing speculation trump wants to dump pence as his running mate in 2020 because he needs to expand the base. i say he picks ivanka :lol:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 6th, 2018, 3:04 pm

than you would have been stuck with Pence... And Pence sounds more terrifying than Trump. He is more polite, yes he definitely is, but he will do far more worse things than Trump cause Pence is capable of ruining USA.

RBG

Post by RBG » December 6th, 2018, 3:09 pm

that's what cipp says constantly but i doubt he'd be provoking foreign leaders on twitter or as completely in putin's pocket. also 100% he would not be re elected. the man has 0 charisma. and even with trump, the courts have stopped much of what he's tried to do. with pence same would be true
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 6th, 2018, 3:32 pm

RBG wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 3:09 pm
that's what cipp says constantly but i doubt he'd be provoking foreign leaders on twitter or as completely in putin's pocket. also 100% he would not be re elected. the man has 0 charisma. and even with trump, the courts have stopped much of what he's tried to do. with pence same would be true
Exactly. Pence's policies might be a little worse than the average Republican's, but he wouldn't necessarily be able to push through the worst ones, and his personal behavior is more or less the same as the average politician's - he's not a total lunatic. And neither he nor really any other top member of either party as far as I can tell is a completely self-serving narcissist who doesn't give a flying fuck about his own country at all. Only Trump is in that category. Literally any other official on the national level or any governor would be better than Trump, because nobody else is as much a loose cannon and nobody else is a natural traitor.

RBG

Post by RBG » December 6th, 2018, 4:46 pm

and for all you capitalists out there, the dow is down again, with the 3 biggest point drops in history under trump, it's in negative territory for the year. also trade deficits are UP. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-tr ... 2018-12-06

tariff man does it again :rolleyes:

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 6th, 2018, 4:59 pm

The Dow, I mean, it's down, sure, but this is the greatest economy in the history of the world, and it's all because of me, I did it, bigly, and the Dow, well, Pelosi, and the Democrats, they hate people winning and they hate to see the country do well, they want to sell us out, they hate people like me who have done well, and they're undermining everything we're doing, and Wall Street, they know, the Russia...NO COLLUSION...they know, there will be more regulations, so many regulations, it'll make your heads spin, their hands will be tied, the banks, and they won't be able to make any money because of Democrats, and the wall, the wall, that's what we need, it's all the immigrants, all the criminals and murderers, the drugs, that's really what's making the Dow drop, because they see all this stuff coming in here now, nobody's going to stop it, the Democrats want to take your jobs and give them to Mexicans, and MBS is our friend and he can help, and that guy wasn't even American, and he was a liberal traitor anyway, didn't like Putin, didn't like his own country, and we have no proof, no proof that he had anything to do with if, of that you can be sure, and the Democrats, they're going to screw that up, and the banks know that, we need Saudi Arabia, and the courts, Kavanagh, and Bush wasn't a hero, I was, for not getting syphilis, and ABCDE what's next I want my mommy Mueller scares me mommy he's a bad man Hilary's emails NO COLUSION I AM NOT A CROOK.

RBG

Post by RBG » December 6th, 2018, 5:43 pm

tehe today he tweeted that without the 'presidential harassment' of the mueller investigation, his approval rating would be 75%

gosh who was it that kept harassing the last president with some bullshit about his birth certificate :think: who could it be...
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » December 6th, 2018, 7:06 pm

:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » December 6th, 2018, 8:18 pm

I can't believe how you can tolerate Pence more than Trump.

Pence vs HRC is obviously 100 / 1000% HRC
Trump vs HRC is i'm very much in doubt about who to prefer. (maybe leaning towards reluctantly hrc but i don't know man)

Trump is terrible. HRC is terrible too. Let's keep it with that. :cheers:

RBG

Post by RBG » December 6th, 2018, 10:21 pm

on the environment alone, that's insupportable
The Trump administration will reverse an Obama-era coal emissions rule as part of its effort to loosen restrictions on the coal industry, just days after a US government report warned that aggressive action is needed to curb greenhouse gases and ease the impact of global warming.

The reversal won't lead to the immediate construction of new coal-fired power plants, but it does send an immediate political signal that the Trump administration is intent on shoring up the coal industry and other energy interests.

"We are rescinding unfair burdens on America's energy providers and leveling the playing field so that new energy technologies can be part of America's future," Andrew Wheeler, the acting administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency and a former coal industry lobbyist, said Thursday. The rule change would lift restrictions on coal emissions that effectively limited the construction of new plants.
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/06/poli ... index.html
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » December 7th, 2018, 1:21 am

trump picks a former fox & friends anchorwoman as UN ambassador. tell me again how hillary is just as bad :whistling:

currently a state department spokesperson, she has no foreign policy experience but plenty of plastic surgery and is friends with ivanka
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » December 7th, 2018, 3:26 am

something big may be coming as big orange is on a twitter rampage currently...

there's no danger :rolleyes:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » December 7th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Oh, The Donald takes "stranger danger" very seriously.
Personal film goals for 2018. Image Image

RBG

Post by RBG » December 7th, 2018, 9:20 pm

i thought mexico was paying for the wall
Former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson sharply criticized his former boss in a wide-ranging interview at the MD Anderson Cancer Center on Thursday night, admitting publicly that President Trump was a “pretty undisciplined” man who “doesn’t like to read” and often had to be reminded about the law.

Hours later, the president fired off an angry tweet calling his former top diplomat “dumb as rocks.”
this is so charming :rolleyes: and now he's stopped speaking to general kelly who's expected to be out anytime

sentencing memos for michael cohen have been filed. LOCK EM UP

it seems that individual one may have committed a serious felony :unsure:

seeing a lot of speculation from attorneys that trump's best option now is to die in office :lol:

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS