This is our new forum, if you have questions see THIS THREAD
If you had an account we've reset the password, click the "I forgot my password" link on the login page and check your spam. If you still have trouble go to the old forum and check your PMs or make a post for help, or send an email to Admin@icmforum.com
Thank you to everyone who donated to our fundraiser: https://fundrazr.com/01Mtqd for helping make this happen.
500<400 2018 Update (Results)
Polls: 1991 (Results), Germany (Oct 20th), 1946 awards (Oct 23rd), Horror (Oct 31st)
Challenges: Horror, LGBTIQ+, Iberian Countries
World Cup: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D (Oct 21st), Match 2E (Nov 4th)
Film of the Week: À Flor do Mar

The Off-Topic Lounge

funkybusiness
Donator

Re: The Off-Topic Lounge

Post by funkybusiness » October 5th, 2018, 7:37 am

damn, Art, narrowing your relationship options again? Now they gotta have a pet rabbit?

but for real, it's for the better if you can be properly diagnosed and able to get the right treatment, right? That is, finally get a correct diagnosis?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 5th, 2018, 11:07 am

It's a reference to the shitty film Fatal Attraction which is about someone with borderline. Therapy is the only cure for that one though.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » October 5th, 2018, 11:15 am

yeah I got the reference but really, are rabbits common pets north of the border?

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » October 5th, 2018, 1:20 pm

mightysparks wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 11:53 pm
Mine thinks I have high functioning autism, but the only people I’ve ever met with autism have been a bit crazy and I only really identify with the stuff like ‘gets obsessed with puzzles’ and ‘can’t read emotional cues’.
Well, to be honest I have a few real-life acquaintances with high-functioning autism and I think I could be able to see some similarities between you and them. However it's impossible to tell from a distance, of course, and I'm not a pro.

But can't you read any emotional cues indeed? And isn't that one of the most important features?
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 5th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Gershwin wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 1:20 pm
mightysparks wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 11:53 pm
Mine thinks I have high functioning autism, but the only people I’ve ever met with autism have been a bit crazy and I only really identify with the stuff like ‘gets obsessed with puzzles’ and ‘can’t read emotional cues’.
Well, to be honest I have a few real-life acquaintances with high-functioning autism and I think I could be able to see some similarities between you and them. However it's impossible to tell from a distance, of course, and I'm not a pro.

But can't you read any emotional cues indeed? And isn't that one of the most important features?
I can read them sometimes, but not if they’re subtle. I can’t really judge how a conversation is going etc (which is also a schizoid trait). I definitely fit some criteria so idk.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 5th, 2018, 10:03 pm

What is a nothingburger? One of 350 new words in the dictionary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45763136

sebby

Post by sebby » October 9th, 2018, 9:23 am

i have never been bothered by spiders, but I just caught a big black one about four inches long that was sprinting like usain bolt across my living room. cue the heebie jeebies.

and i'm supposed to just go to sleep now. deciding whether or not to google this fucker and see if he's venomous.

ahhhh ok i googled it. giant house spider. venomous but not too dangerous it seems. but why the fuck did he have to run so fast that's not normal spider behavior damn it.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 9th, 2018, 12:28 pm

sebby wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 9:23 am
i have never been bothered by spiders, but I just caught a big black one about four inches long that was sprinting like usain bolt across my living room. cue the heebie jeebies.

and i'm supposed to just go to sleep now. deciding whether or not to google this fucker and see if he's venomous.

ahhhh ok i googled it. giant house spider. venomous but not too dangerous it seems. but why the fuck did he have to run so fast that's not normal spider behavior damn it.
Of course that's normal spider behavior. Not all species make webs; lots of spiders rely on their speed to catch prey.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » October 9th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Lammetje wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 12:28 pm
sebby wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 9:23 am

Of course that's normal spider behavior. Not all species make webs; lots of spiders rely on their speed to catch sebby.
FTFY

sebby

Post by sebby » October 9th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Eek. Well I'm city folk. When I see spiders, they're usually small and dangling from a web. They're certainly not galloping across my apartment. That is an unwelcome new behavior.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 9th, 2018, 7:15 pm

I think I finally found the right medication combo for myself. Less anxiety, mind's not racing, ocd is practically gone, I can focus again, no suicidal thoughts for a week, and a more stable mood. I finally feel "normal". Still, it's discouraging to know that I gotta take 3 medications for the rest of my life.

RBG

Post by RBG » October 9th, 2018, 7:29 pm

this is great arthur!! :circle:

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » October 9th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Great to hear the stuff is finally working for you, Art. I can imagine you don't like the idea of having to take it, but if it makes you feel good and stable, I wouldn't hesitate for a single second, just stick to it. :thumbsup:
RokP 250

Hunziker
Donator

Post by Hunziker » October 9th, 2018, 7:49 pm

that's awesome, Art, congrats! :party:
Munching Soylent Green.

iCM -Twitter

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » October 9th, 2018, 8:20 pm

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 7:15 pm
I think I finally found the right medication combo for myself. Less anxiety, mind's not racing, ocd is practically gone, I can focus again, no suicidal thoughts for a week, and a more stable mood. I finally feel "normal". Still, it's discouraging to know that I gotta take 3 medications for the rest of my life.
:banana: I'm so happy that something's finally working out for you, you've hard a very hard time of it the last couple of years! Keep it up! :banana:

Now you just need to develop a better taste in movies... :P :hug:
Personal film goals for 2018. Image Image

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » October 9th, 2018, 8:24 pm

sebby wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 6:46 pm
Eek. Well I'm city folk. When I see spiders, they're usually small and dangling from a web. They're certainly not galloping across my apartment. That is an unwelcome new behavior.
My wife's boss was sitting at home watching a scary movie. A tarantula suddenly ran across the floor and his first thought was 'That's a really cool effect,' before he realized that it was real, it had crawled in through the cat flap and somebody would have to catch it and dispose of it. Welcome to rural New Mexico.
Personal film goals for 2018. Image Image

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 9th, 2018, 10:54 pm

The most annoying thing about weight loss is slowly losing all your clothes. I got new work pants 3 months ago, but they’re basically falling down now and my belt is too big for me too. It’s just too expensive to keep buying clothes when I’m not done. It’s also much harder to find stuff at this size because the plus size section is usually 16+ and normal sizes to up to 12, so it’s a really annoying spot. My work shirt is also quite big and daggy too, I went from L to M but I’m not quite ready to go in and ask for the small.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » October 10th, 2018, 7:01 am

Sounds like you're making good progress with your plans to lose weight though, Mighty. Well done!

I has to get rid of quite a few clothes last summer because I was growing too fat. That feels worse. :P
Trying to lose some weight now as well.
RokP 250

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 10th, 2018, 7:26 am

Yea last year I found myself putting clothes away in a bag because I was too big for them. I’ve been pulling them out now because everything else is too big lol. My boyfriend is obese and has put on more weight and he keeps running out of stuff that fits. He’s actually taken some of my OLD old fat clothes that have lost their elastic lol.

I started at an obese BMI in April, but now I’m only 6kg away from being a normal weight for the first time in over 20 years!

sebby

Post by sebby » October 10th, 2018, 8:46 am

I desperately need to buy new pants but keep holding off because my tum tum's circumference is in flux. Used to have a 30 waist. Ballooned to 33, now down to like a 31.5 which means all my pants are a little too tight or a little too loose. So I've settled for the moment on just wearing a belt or muffin topping depending on which of my 2.5ish pairs of trousers happen to be situated around my middle and below section.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 10th, 2018, 9:16 am

I also have that problem at the moment with my work pants. I bought a size 14 the other day, but it's just a little too muffin top-y, so I opted for my size 16s this morning but I hadn't worn them in about a month and they nearly dropped down my hips and the belt only just kept them up. I've never worn a belt before though so I'm like a dog with a cone on its head and I keep picking at it (with fingers not teeth :whistling:). My waist was 40.5 when I started, now at 33.5. I'm aiming for around 25-26 at my goal (just an estimate, also the current size of one thigh and I can't imagine ever being that small).

Oh, and I did some 'body type' calculator at some point when I was obese and it came back with 'no shape', I was like great I'm just a fat lump. I tried it last night and it gave me hourglass. I'm happy to have a shape again.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 10th, 2018, 7:03 pm

This ain't the weight loss thread! :geek:

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 11th, 2018, 1:31 am

Need more career advice again.
SpoilerShow
Had a straw that broke the camel's back moment. I'm realizing that I can't do accounting. It's 10% work and 90% fitting in/having a charming personality. People always ask me why I chose it as they can't see me doing it. And you know what? They're right. The fact that I can't find a job after 6 months is another sign that it's not for me.

I found this program in a college here that looks great: Construction Engineering Technician which I mentioned before. It looks like the middle ground between Engineering and Construction and I think I can fit in more there rather than accounting. However, I asked an engineering forum about it, and it seems like a lot of jobs meant for that program are being replaced by people with a Bachelor's in Civil Engineering. Not sure what route I should go to. Of course if I happen to find an accounting job that I enjoy before May, then I will stick with that and drop my application.

Construction Engineering Technician:

Pros: Easier, 3 years, 2 co-op terms, and you learn AutoCAD
Cons: May not get a job with it

Bachelor's in Civil Engineering:

Pros: More prospects for jobs, opportunity for graduate studies, and 5 co-op work terms
Cons: Much more difficult, 5 years if I include co-op, I will have to take 2 high school courses in an adult high school as I lack the prerequisites, and white collar engineering jobs sounds like hell

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 11th, 2018, 2:14 am

I don't have career advice, but I don't see how your math degree doesn't eliminate at least one year off that B.Eng. What 2 HS courses do you need? Chem and Physics?
And yeah, engineering jobs are much more about networking than accounting so I'm not sure if that's the fit you want, but I'm not really clear on what exactly about accounting doesn't' work for you.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 11th, 2018, 2:39 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 2:14 am
I don't have career advice, but I don't see how your math degree doesn't eliminate at least one year off that B.Eng. What 2 HS courses do you need? Chem and Physics?
And yeah, engineering jobs are much more about networking than accounting so I'm not sure if that's the fit you want, but I'm not really clear on what exactly about accounting doesn't' work for you.
SpoilerShow
I could eliminate 6 courses. However, it's been almost a decade since I've taken them, and I would like to get higher marks for co-op if I choose to go there.

Yep Chem and Physics.

I feel like accounting would be more about connections than engineering, but I think that both white-collar jobs from them will be similar, and their work culture will be a lack of culture.

I only did public accounting. I liked the data entry, more math-related work, and even doing tax returns. However I felt like it was only a small portion of it. The rest of it is client communication and giving them advice. This was the majority of the work and I couldn't stand it. I also could not click with the coworkers at all, even if I was trying my best. I do kind of want to give industry accounting a chance, but they're not hiring me.

I saw a few jobs from the Construction Engineering Technician program that seem interesting. Stuff like materials testing, quality control testing, estimating, surveying, and inspection. Those seem to give a good balance of being blue-collar yet I can still use my brain. Basically, I want a job where I can use my brain, and they'll be cool with me having visible tattoos. It just seems like they may be only hiring people with a Bachelor's instead of the Technician.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 11th, 2018, 3:40 am

XxXApathy420XxX wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 1:31 am
Need more career advice again.
SpoilerShow
Had a straw that broke the camel's back moment. I'm realizing that I can't do accounting. It's 10% work and 90% fitting in/having a charming personality. People always ask me why I chose it as they can't see me doing it. And you know what? They're right. The fact that I can't find a job after 6 months is another sign that it's not for me.

I found this program in a college here that looks great: Construction Engineering Technician which I mentioned before. It looks like the middle ground between Engineering and Construction and I think I can fit in more there rather than accounting. However, I asked an engineering forum about it, and it seems like a lot of jobs meant for that program are being replaced by people with a Bachelor's in Civil Engineering. Not sure what route I should go to. Of course if I happen to find an accounting job that I enjoy before May, then I will stick with that and drop my application.

Construction Engineering Technician:

Pros: Easier, 3 years, 2 co-op terms, and you learn AutoCAD
Cons: May not get a job with it

Bachelor's in Civil Engineering:

Pros: More prospects for jobs, opportunity for graduate studies, and 5 co-op work terms
Cons: Much more difficult, 5 years if I include co-op, I will have to take 2 high school courses in an adult high school as I lack the prerequisites, and white collar engineering jobs sounds like hell
What about something like analytics? You've got the math background, you'd be dealing with data, about all you might need is something on SQL and stats, and even those are maybes. Lots of number crunching, not a lot of interacting/networking.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 11th, 2018, 3:53 am

That's really lame that you have to do highschool courses when you've already graduated uni??? I can get into any other non-competitive degree (eg, veterinary science) with just my Tafe diploma... There has to be some useful post-grad stuff that isn't 5 years+. The post-grad diplomas at my uni are only a year long.

And with the librarian/records management stuff I'm looking at, almost everything I read is 'the job is 90% helping people' and I'm like grr give me 90% making spreadsheets instead.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 11th, 2018, 4:38 pm

I want annoying housemate updates, Mighty!

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » October 11th, 2018, 5:02 pm

mightysparks wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 3:53 am
That's really lame that you have to do highschool courses when you've already graduated uni??? I can get into any other non-competitive degree (eg, veterinary science) with just my Tafe diploma... There has to be some useful post-grad stuff that isn't 5 years+. The post-grad diplomas at my uni are only a year long.

And with the librarian/records management stuff I'm looking at, almost everything I read is 'the job is 90% helping people' and I'm like grr give me 90% making spreadsheets instead.
Work in a bank not a branch as they need analysts all the time crunching data and you don’t have to deal with pesky customers lol

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 11th, 2018, 11:26 pm

Lammetje wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 4:38 pm
I want annoying housemate updates, Mighty!
She’s luckily been busy with her Tafe stuff over the last month or so and hasn’t been home much. Though she has been having loud phone calls with her mum nearly every day which you can hear from the other end of the house. She has an awful habit of calling her parents mummy and daddy in a baby voice which is the most disgusting thing for something in their 20s to do.

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » October 13th, 2018, 7:35 pm

Has anyone else notice allneonslike's weird behavior? He deletes and recreates his profile every two weeks or so, it came to my attention because he is almost always in the ''Activity' section on ICM film pages. It's been going on for 2-3 months now.

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » October 13th, 2018, 8:30 pm

clemmetarey wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Has anyone else notice allneonslike's weird behavior? He deletes and recreates his profile every two weeks or so, it came to my attention because he is almost always in the ''Activity' section on ICM film pages. It's been going on for 2-3 months now.
I’ve noticed. (S)he does it more often than that:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/ne+me+quitte+pas/

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » October 13th, 2018, 9:00 pm

I guess they rate on IMDB and then re-import their whole IMDB ratings on a regular basis rather than checking on ICM.

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » October 13th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Not really, if you look at the activity of the film 72 links, if you go on his profile with ''allneonslike checked this movie 7 hours 59 minutes ago'' it says he joined on 13 October 2018, but if you click on his profile with ''allneonlikes checked this movie 1 day 11 hours ago'', it says he joined on 29 September 2018. :wacko:

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » October 13th, 2018, 10:08 pm

Ah, two different «persons»
allneonslike
allneonlikes

Shady behaviour regardless.

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » October 13th, 2018, 11:21 pm

You're right, I didn't see the missing s. Still shady indeed.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 15th, 2018, 6:29 am

My bf mentioned this to me yesterday: http://santiago-compostela.net/ And it sounds pretty cool. This is the kinda stuff I wanna do once I get fit (and hope I don't get the nerve disease that the rest of my family has at least not for another 10 years lol). He seems pretty keen on doing it and doing photography/videography stuff along the way, so I'm hoping it'll motivate him to lose weight and get fit too so I can have a workout buddy :P

Has anyone here done anything like this?

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » October 15th, 2018, 6:41 am

That would give you a good excuse to watch Buñuel's The Milky Way. :P

To be honest I always find it a bit funny when people with no affinity with religion whatsoever decide to do these ancient pilgrim routes. I wonder what's so interesting about them when one's not out on a spiritual search at least somewhat in the vein of Catholicism. In that case I'd rather climb Mount Everest, for instance.
RokP 250

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 15th, 2018, 8:33 am

Well I'm not that interested in the religious/pilgrim thing. This was just a particular thing that my bf heard about. I read about someone doing the Appalachian Trail a while ago and was interested in that too. Any kind of hiking, walking, adventure nature thing. For me it's just an excuse to travel, see different things and not spend the entire time in a city, hotel and taxi.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » October 15th, 2018, 11:58 am

Fair enough.
RokP 250