Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Real live poll: Philly pre-convention Political filmfest

3eyes
Donator

Real live poll: Philly pre-convention Political filmfest

Post by 3eyes » June 8th, 2016, 5:32 pm

The Democratic Convention is coming to Philadelphia next month and Pictures in the Park (whatever that is) is holding a political moviefest and asking folks to vote on 4 films to be shown out of 12 proposed, here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/moviefestatdilworth

here's your chance to influence the results. Deadline June 15, midnight EST. (You can also get a chance to win $50 gift certificate at the Reading Terminal Market if you live close enough to care.)
Last edited by 3eyes on June 8th, 2016, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 8th, 2016, 6:36 pm

It might be a better game to ask what's missing from the list? I'd nominate Being There.

A face in the crowd is the only one I'd unequivocally vote for (I think I've see 9 out the 12).
Last edited by 3eyes on June 8th, 2016, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheikofhyrule

Post by sheikofhyrule » June 8th, 2016, 8:16 pm

Eliminate Legally Blonde 2 because it is bad. Eliminate The Manchurian Candidate because although great, it is not the message you would want to send out. Eliminate Primary Colors because Hillary Clinton will be the nominee and that would be weird. Eliminate Election and A Face in the Crowd that show the bad side of elections. Eliminate Charlie Wilson's War since the party tends to be anti-war (and because I cannot remember much about it.)

For the Democratic Party it would make sense to show Selma to show past good works, All the President's Men to show how bad the Republicans can be, and then any two of the feel good government movies like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Dave, The American President or The Candidate.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 8th, 2016, 11:26 pm

:lol: Mind you, the films will be shown a month before the convention. Personally, I think La dictatura perfecta would be the ideal choice.

See, when Pope Francis was here in September the city was on lockdown - our neighborhood was deserted except for soldiers on every street corner, paddywagons, ambulances, and a few families happily strolling the wrong way in the middle of one-way streets.

Our new mayor wants to avoid both that kind of debacle and the other kind when the Republican Convention was here in 2000, and the city ended up getting successfully sued for false arrest and all kinds of things, a puppet-making studio was raided and the puppets destroyed, the Quaker center near the Convention Center was open around the clock with medical and legal teams for the protestors, and the Mennonites dropped off Republican leftovers to feed the hungry hordes....

So now the hype is that the bars are going to be (gasp) open longer hours, there are all sorts of fun things going on, and Bernie supporters can go visit the anarchist bookstore on South St.
Last edited by 3eyes on June 8th, 2016, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » December 21st, 2017, 4:11 pm

Woah, old thread revival, what was listed among the suggestions? I'd say A Face in the Crowd is a pretty strong pick, All the King's Men is another masterpiece which seems just all relevant today, as is The Best Man.

On a funnier note, I just saw The Death of Stalin at the cinema, and it's satirical look at the power struggle feels laughable real.