Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: Valkoinen peura, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

How big is your backlog?

joachimt
Donator

How big is your backlog?

Post by joachimt » March 10th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Nice! Thanks for posting.

I had such a wall a while ago as well. I've got around 2500 dvd's. I've put them in slimcases several years ago to save space. My wife didn't want more shelves. :lol:
When we moved last summer I changed from shelves to drawers. That saved even more space. So now the collection is in 15 drawers in an IKEA-closet.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 10th, 2017, 12:26 pm

joachimt on Mar 10 2017, 05:15:20 AM wrote:Nice! Thanks for posting.

I had such a wall a while ago as well. I've got around 2500 dvd's. I've put them in slimcases several years ago to save space. My wife didn't want more shelves. :lol:
When we moved last summer I changed from shelves to drawers. That saved even more space. So now the collection is in 15 drawers in an IKEA-closet.
Heheh... and that's just my VHS wall. :blink: You have inspired me to compress and upload the pic that I took of my Blu-ray wall (in a separate room).

I don't know if I could bear to place my entire collection into small cases or hide them away inside a cupboard. I guess I might need to consider something in the future, but while I am young, single and living by myself, it's kind of cool to be able to surround myself with movies galore... not to mention, it is pretty convenient having everything easily accessible, plus most of my collection is alphabetical (except Criterion, Artificial Eye, a few directors with films lumped together, etc).

Attachments:
Last edited by sol on March 10th, 2017, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » March 10th, 2017, 12:41 pm

If I ever become a burglar, I know whose house should I target :ph43r:

albajos

Post by albajos » March 10th, 2017, 12:52 pm

I'm sorting mine. So they're all on the floor.
Norwegian - International - TV N/I and stuff to (try to) sell
(the ones to sell, I need to prioritze watching first)

I'll provide a pic when I have hoovered

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 10th, 2017, 3:39 pm

tommy_leazaq on Mar 10 2017, 05:41:28 AM wrote:If I ever become a burglar, I know whose house should I target :ph43r:
tehe Good luck trying to carry them all out. You'd need the whole night... or a forklift.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » March 10th, 2017, 3:44 pm

albajos on Mar 10 2017, 05:52:53 AM wrote:I'm sorting mine. So they're all on the floor.
I have quite a few spread out myself at the moment. Not on the floor, mind you, but the waist-height bookshelves near my computer desk have several piles of films on top of them, what the 40 or so films in my collection that I am planning to view for the Doubling and have not gotten around to yet...
Image Image Image

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 10th, 2017, 3:44 pm

cinephage on Mar 9 2017, 12:29:16 PM wrote:I know I'll be enjoying a good film tomorrow evening, or even next week. Knowing this is a pleasant feeling.
Never had any trouble finding something I want to see. Torrents and Netflix give you a steady stream of new stuff, there's always something interesting to watch :)

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 10th, 2017, 3:45 pm

joachimt on Mar 9 2017, 01:06:18 PM wrote:Last week I watchlisted 6 movies. A few days later 3 of those were taken down from Netflix. If I want to watch something from Netflix, it seems I need to watch is right away......
That's why you keep your Netflix watchlist clean and check on a daily basis what's been added to their service. They only delete older films ... don't let them become old :)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 10th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Onderhond on Mar 10 2017, 08:45:23 AM wrote:
joachimt on Mar 9 2017, 01:06:18 PM wrote:Last week I watchlisted 6 movies. A few days later 3 of those were taken down from Netflix. If I want to watch something from Netflix, it seems I need to watch is right away......
That's why you keep your Netflix watchlist clean and check on a daily basis what's been added to their service. They only delete older films ... don't let them become old :)
Daily basis? :huh:
Do they add knew titles on a daily basis in Belgium? Here it's more like once a month.
ICM-profile

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 10th, 2017, 4:50 pm

joachimt on Mar 10 2017, 09:17:31 AM wrote:
Onderhond on Mar 10 2017, 08:45:23 AM wrote:
Daily basis? :huh:
Do they add knew titles on a daily basis in Belgium? Here it's more like once a month.
You're Dutch, right? -> https://www.moviemeter.nl/netflix/new
Or http://www.netflix-nederland.nl/aanbod- ... nederland/

Honestly, new films are added on a daily basis. There's like 2 or 3 days/month when nothing is added, most days it's 3-6 new films/series/docs, first of the month is crazy time :)
Edit: don't trust any of Netflix' apps to tell you though, you really need a 3rd party website for the info.
Last edited by Onderhond on March 10th, 2017, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 10th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Onderhond on Mar 10 2017, 09:50:46 AM wrote:Edit: don't trust any of Netflix' apps to tell you though, you really need a 3rd party website for the info.
I guess that's my problem. I just look in Netflix at "onlangs toegevoegd". Thanks for the link. I'll start using that.
ICM-profile

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » August 22nd, 2018, 5:30 pm

My backlog is 0.5 (I have some unwatched sitcom episodes on my pc). :P By the way, may I suggest to move this thread to General Film Discussion?
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 22nd, 2018, 5:50 pm

I couldn't hazard a meaningful guess really but maybe 5000? I mean there are several individual directors that I have 20+ unwatched features from (with Naruse it's 50+), and I just recently looked at my middle eastern collection and it's at over 300 unwatched films, half of them from Iran. I know I also own some films on VHS that I've had for over 30 years and never watched, and alas I don't have a working VHS player now. Some of those are probably hard to find digitally.

RBG

Post by RBG » August 22nd, 2018, 6:42 pm

i have 2330 digital files of which i have seen 1411 (60%) ofc this is changing all the time
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 22nd, 2018, 6:48 pm

20-30 on Netflix
10-15 on Prime
20-30 on Pc

So that's 50-75 films in total. Pretty stable too.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 22nd, 2018, 7:25 pm

I've been keeping my backlog pretty clean for the past few months. I don't collect large numbers of movies anymore that I can't watch within a reasonable period.

Watchlisted on Netflix: 5
DVD/Bluray: 25 (including one big one: Twin Peaks season 3)
On PC: 39 (which is already more than I usually got lined up)

So a total of 69 at the moment.
ICM-profile

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » August 22nd, 2018, 9:44 pm

I'm not sure how to define "backlog." If Netflix/Amazon Prime queues count, then do "Watch Later" YouTube videos and bookmarked web streams count too? I have a few hundred of those, but they're not necessarily "must-see's."

I have 38-39 unwatched downloads, but 7-8 of them are foreign shorts where I've been idly waiting for ages to find proper subs. The top priorities include "Eros + Massacre," "On the Silver Globe" and Oshima's "Band of Ninja."

A friend recently gave me access to her Netflix account, and I now have a queue of 29 films. I don't care hugely about seeing any of them -- Netflix is pretty feeble for movies. My #1 to watch is probably Terence Davies' "Sunset Song," and I aim to see this before the 500<400 ballots are due. I imagine this queue will grow very, very little, so I may be virtually done with it several months down the road. Actually, I'd rather catch up with Orange Is the New Black (I'm two seasons behind) and Arrested Development.

I have access to Amazon Prime via my girlfriend, and I have about 110 films in her queue. A lot of them are marginal, but I'd strongly like to see about 40 of them. There's a lot of cult-following and music-related stuff, but some generally renowned films too. Last night, I watched Gondry's "Mood Indigo" but was disappointed. I have about a dozen other films from the "366 Weird" list queued. I'm glad that I'm not a fanatic for vintage horror and/or sexploitation flicks, because you could spend the rest of your life watching this stuff on Amazon.

I have about 23 movies saved in my cable box's DVR. A lot of those are rewatches. I think the last film I watched/deleted was the Gish/Sjostrom version of "The Scarlet Letter."

I don't rent from my library too often, but I recently went through a few sets of checkouts for the first time in awhile. But I have nothing now. The movie I want to check out most, "The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum," is seemingly lost. The electronic catalog says it's available, but it's nowhere to be found in the racks. Frustrating.
Last edited by Ebbywebby on August 23rd, 2018, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

albajos

Post by albajos » August 23rd, 2018, 7:10 am

I need 5 challanges more (<400 or nordic) to finish off my backlog. Then i can sell it all :p

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 23rd, 2018, 4:08 pm

Ebbywebby wrote:
August 22nd, 2018, 9:44 pm
I'm not sure how to define "backlog." If Netflix/Amazon Prime queues count, then do "Watch Later" YouTube videos and bookmarked web streams count too? I have a few hundred of those, but they're not necessarily "must-see's."
I think nowadays a Netflix queue (for example) counts as backlog, because streaming services are an alternative for buying dvd's. But yeah, it's easy to hit the watchlist-button and not caring about a lot of those if they disappear from the service or not. I try to keep my Netflix queue small though (not particularly interested in a lot anyway).

On Youtube I wouldn't watchlist anything. You never know if movies get taken down. If I find something on YT that I really want to see, I grab it and save it (so it's in my backlog).
ICM-profile