Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1970s (Results), 1950 (Jun 24th), Japan (Jun 30th), Essential Cinema (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Italy, Queer Cinema, Film From Each Year
Film of the Week: Drive a Crooked Road, July nominations (Jun 25th)

UK/Ireland Challenge (Official, March 2021)

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

Also, as an aside, it's perhaps worth pointing out that the Isle of Man is not in the United Kingdom. The UK is responsible for the island's defence and residents are thought of as British subjects, but the island is equally very proud of its long-standing internal self-governance!

My grandparents (English & French) moved there from Leicester in 1963, but I haven't been back over there since my grandmother died in 2013. A lovely place full of quaint charm and attractions!
That's all, folks!
Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:50 pm Also, as an aside, it's perhaps worth pointing out that the Isle of Man is not in the United Kingdom. The UK is responsible for the island's defence and residents are thought of as British subjects, but the island is equally very proud of its long-standing internal self-governance!

My grandparents (English & French) moved there from Leicester in 1963, but I haven't been back over there since my grandmother died in 2013. A lovely place full of quaint charm and attractions!
I bet the Manx language is dying likewise Cornish, Welsh & Irish.

The only cinematic piece where you could hear it is the short Solace in Wicca.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Mario Gaborović wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 8:13 pm
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:50 pm Also, as an aside, it's perhaps worth pointing out that the Isle of Man is not in the United Kingdom. The UK is responsible for the island's defence and residents are thought of as British subjects, but the island is equally very proud of its long-standing internal self-governance!

I bet the Manx language is dying likewise Cornish, Welsh & Irish.

The only cinematic piece where you could hear it is the short Solace in Wicca.
It's definitely not in a strong position, but it hasn't died out completely. It's more part of the island's heritage these days. There were measures in the 1980s and '90s to bring in Manx signs and things like that. Going around the island, one is exposed to and is aware of the language, even if it's not spoken fluently by the majority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_language
That's all, folks!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

OldAle1 wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 3:32 pm It is confusing. And "Great Britain" is technically the name of the island - which begs the question, was there a "Lesser Britain" or just "Britain", a smaller island? Was Ireland once named "Britain", a thousand or two thousand years ago?
Happy to help out here. As a longstanding non-British person who once spent several months in Scotland, I can answer this question with the help of Google Maps. Here's a map that shows part of Scotland (which everyone now knows is a part of Great Britain). You can see the major cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh, but I'd like you to focus on a large lake to the northwest of Glasgow.

Here's a closer view. That lake is Loch Lomond, a very beautiful spot I was lucky enough to visit once. There's also a nice song about it.

Now let's zoom in one more time. You might notice there are some islands in Loch Lomond. Most of these islands have names like Inchfad or Inchmoan or Inchmurrin. But there's one island that's not an inch. It's the one with the red arrow pointing at it. That island is Lesser Britain. Never been there myself, but I hear a guy name Angus lives there.
Spoiler
Believe it or not, some of what I wrote above is true. But I won't tell you which parts.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Also, regarding Ireland, it seems that Ptolemy was thinking along the same lines as OldAle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Bri ... n_of_Great
That's all, folks!