Watch movies from Caribbean. Discuss them.
Eligible Countries more than 300 titles listed on IMDb:
- Dominican Republic
- Puerto Rico
- Trinidad and Tobago
Watch films from each of these countries for bonus challenge points!
Eligible Countries with less than 300 titles listed on IMDb:
25 other regions/countries
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Saint Barthélemy
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Martin
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- U.S. Virgin Islands
Most Caribbean countries have a very large number of co-productions. I would ask you to think carefully about whether you think that any co-productions really represent Caribbean cinema.
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 80 minutes of short films or miniseries/TV episodes counts as one entry.
- Films must be watched one at a time and at single speed (not sped up).
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.
- Please include year of release when listing your viewings.
- Please indicate each film's country when listing your viewings otherwise your score will NOT be included in the leaderboard.
I reserve the right to exclude participants who intentionally number their viewings incorrectly. If you play the game, you're expected to play properly.
Final results will be posted between 2:30pm and 4:30pm GMT on January 2 - at which point it will have been January everywhere in the world for more than a whole day. While you are welcome to post updates beyond this point, any such updates will not be included in the final results. Your choice whether you miss the deadline or not; besides, if it's January on your side of the world, shouldn't you be starting on one of next month's challenges?
- UNESCO - Puerto Rico: #712-726
- Cinema Tropical - Caribbean titles
- Caribbean Classics - a curated collection from the Caribbean Film Database (this has been suggested to the mods for adoption)
- Essential Caribbean Films from the Caribbean Film Academy
- Travelling Caribbean Film Showcase
- Cinemateca de Cuba's Best Cuban films
- Intro to the Caribbean (Letterboxd)
This Challenge has never been held before in an Official capacity. Last year we had a combined Caribbean/Latin American Challenge that blocho hosted and 72aicm won with 116 points.
Any Fun Stats? Maybe. Certainly not if this Challenges gets very busy, but I would at least like to be able to present a pie chart. This is an example of the sort of pie chart that I am looking at.
This thread will be updated at least once every 48 hours (more often if I am around and feel like it). Please list new films seen in a new post.
Bonus Challenge: Get something in every column below... except the last column. The only way to do this is by watching something from each of the six largest film-producing Caribbean countries, something from one of the other countries and remembering to list the country with every viewing.
Any points in the "undeclared" column will not count towards your final score. You must declare the country when listing your viewings.
|10||fear of 13||2||1||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|