Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Horror Challenge (Official, October 2020)

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Bonus Challenge #5: Zombies

15. The Night Eats the World (2018)
A zombie movie of the I Am Legend variety, very much focused on loneliness. Nothing special

16. The Plague of the Zombies (1966)
Good fun. Stylish and atmospheric. And a nice reminder that, unlike today's zombie movies which are a metaphor for disease, old zombie movies are a metaphor for labor extraction and social oppression.

Thanks for hosting, Max.
frbrown

Post by frbrown »

29. Hammer House of Horror: Visitor from the Grave (1980)
30. Hammer House of Horror: The Two Faces of Evil (1980)
31. Hammer House of Horror: The Mark of Satan (1980)

Great job hosting, Max :worship:

And congrats to all the fanatics participants for making this the busiest challenge ever :banana:

Spoiler
1. Iria: Zeiram the Animation (1994) #DEATHLIST 9 #BINGO C4
2. The Scarlet Claw (1944)
3. Hammer House of Horror: Witching Time (1980) #DEATHLIST 12
4. Hammer House of Horror: The Thirteenth Reunion (1980)
5. The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake (1959) #DEATHLIST 11
6. El signo de la muerte (1939)
7. The Earth Dies Screaming (1964) #DEATHLIST 10 #BINGO D1
8. A Bay of Blood (1971) #TSZDT 204 #DEATHLIST 4 #BINGO A1
9. West of Zanzibar (1928) #TSZDT 547 #DEATHLIST 2
10. Happy Death Day (2017) #DEATHLIST 6 #BINGO A3
11. Scary Movie (2000) #TSZDT 570 #DEATHLIST 3
12. Underwater (2020) #BINGO C1
13. El vampiro (1957) #TSZDT 747 #DEATHLIST 8 #BINGO B2
14. El fantasma del convento (1934)
15. Lady Terminator (1989)
16. Hammer House of Horror: Rude Awakening (1980)
17. Hammer House of Horror: Growing Pains (1980)
18. The Mad Ghoul (1943)
19. Hammer House of Horror: The House That Bled to Death (1980)
20. The Werewolf (1956) #TSZDT 741
21. Mad Doctor of Blood Island (1968) #BINGO C2
22. Hammer House of Horror: Charlie Boy (1980)
23. Hammer House of Horror: The Silent Scream (1980)
24. Ghostwatch (1992) #TSZDT 787
25. Hammer House of Horror: Children of the Full Moon (1980)
26. Hammer House of Horror: Carpathian Eagle (1980)
27. Hammer House of Horror: Guardian of the Abyss (1980)
28. Night of the Lepus (1972) #BINGO C3
29. Hammer House of Horror: Visitor from the Grave (1980)
30. Hammer House of Horror: The Two Faces of Evil (1980)
31. Hammer House of Horror: The Mark of Satan (1980)
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Managed to squeeze in two more entries:

7. Human Cobras (Albertini, 1971). This felt like a remake of Get Carter, except they're both from the same year. Needless to say, Get Carter is a lot better than this.
8. The Skin I Live In (Almodovar, 2011). This was good. It didn't feel like a horror movie though, more like an intense drama with a madman protagonist. The cinematography was very impressive.

Shocktober - 31 Days that Shook the World
1. The Ring (Verbinski, 2002).
2. [REC] (Balaguero & Plaza, 2007).
3. The White Reindeer (Blomberg, 1952).
4. Plan 9 From Outer Space (Wood, 1959).
5. The Crystal Ceiling (de la Iglesia, 1971).
6. Berberian Sound Studio (Strickland, 2012).
7. Human Cobras (Albertini, 1971).
8. The Skin I Live In (Almodovar, 2011).
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Harco wrote: October 31st, 2020, 7:59 pm
Harco wrote: October 26th, 2020, 9:01 pm 21. Annabelle Comes Home (2019) (Gary Dauberman, #779 on TSZDT 1001-2000) 2/5
22. Sadako vs. Kayako (2016) (Kôji Shiraishi, #673 on TSZDT 1001-2000) 2/5
23. Sadako (2019) (Hideo Nakata, not on TSZDT) 2/5
24. Le daim (2019) (Quentin Dupieux, not on TSZDT) 3/5
25. The Grudge (2020) (Nicolas Pesce, not on TSZDT) 1/5
26. Ju-on: Origins (2020) (Shô Miyake, not on TSZDT) 3/5
Max, number 26 is actually a six-part mini-series (25-30 minute episodes). How many points should I have given myself? Total runtime is 173 minutes, according to Letterboxd.
2 - you're seven minutes short of a third point.
greenhorg

Post by greenhorg »

Just for the helluvit I took the films I watched this month and calculated the correlation between IMDb ratings and my own: R = 0.22, which is only weakly positive. Then I did the same thing with the ratio scores at icheckmovies. Just eyeballing it I was sure it was actually going to be a negative relationship, but it is was almost identical to the IMDb correlation: R = 0.19.

Then I compared myself to the critic hivemind at Rotten Tomatoes. I suspected it would be stronger, but this time it was actually negative! R = -0.24. And the audience score was just like the first two: R = 0.21.

I guess the lesson here is that none of these websites are very useful to me, at least for selecting horror. Unfortunately that means going forward I have no reliable method of sorting good from bad.
Harco
Donator

Post by Harco »

maxwelldeux wrote: November 1st, 2020, 6:27 pm
Harco wrote: October 31st, 2020, 7:59 pm
Harco wrote: October 26th, 2020, 9:01 pm 21. Annabelle Comes Home (2019) (Gary Dauberman, #779 on TSZDT 1001-2000) 2/5
22. Sadako vs. Kayako (2016) (Kôji Shiraishi, #673 on TSZDT 1001-2000) 2/5
23. Sadako (2019) (Hideo Nakata, not on TSZDT) 2/5
24. Le daim (2019) (Quentin Dupieux, not on TSZDT) 3/5
25. The Grudge (2020) (Nicolas Pesce, not on TSZDT) 1/5
26. Ju-on: Origins (2020) (Shô Miyake, not on TSZDT) 3/5
Max, number 26 is actually a six-part mini-series (25-30 minute episodes). How many points should I have given myself? Total runtime is 173 minutes, according to Letterboxd.
2 - you're seven minutes short of a third point.
Haha, thanks, that's too bad. Final tally's 34, then (Phantom of the Rue Morgue was my last).
Harco wrote: November 1st, 2020, 7:43 am A Rue Morgue double feature for my Halloween film festival:

32. Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932) (Robert Florey, #276 on TSZDT) 1/5
33. Phantom of the Rue Morgue (1954) (Roy Del Ruth, #946 on TSZDT 1001-2000) 2/5
:ICM: | :letbxd:
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

greenhorg wrote: November 1st, 2020, 6:46 pm Just for the helluvit I took the films I watched this month and calculated the correlation between IMDb ratings and my own: R = 0.22, which is only weakly positive. Then I did the same thing with the ratio scores at icheckmovies. Just eyeballing it I was sure it was actually going to be a negative relationship, but it is was almost identical to the IMDb correlation: R = 0.19.

Then I compared myself to the critic hivemind at Rotten Tomatoes. I suspected it would be stronger, but this time it was actually negative! R = -0.24. And the audience score was just like the first two: R = 0.21.

I guess the lesson here is that none of these websites are very useful to me, at least for selecting horror. Unfortunately that means going forward I have no reliable method of sorting good from bad.
Did you check against Metacritic? I find it a little more reliable than RT since the scores are actually an average and not an arbitrarily Yes/No system.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Final post of the challenge! This has been a Hellish year for sure but watching nearly 300 horrors movies in one month certainly helps take the edge off. Thanks max for hosting this epic challenge!

Beyond Redundancy: Sequels of Remakes
ImageImageImageImage
286. Quarantine 2: Terminal (2011)
287. Pulse 2: Afterlife (2008)
288. The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death (2014)
289. The Fly II (1989)
Three out of four of these I actually watched the day before but I decided to tack on The Fly II at the end to kick off Halloween with something I knew would be gooey.
Quarantine 2, like [rec] 3, mostly abandons the first-person camera for the majority of its running time (as well as pretty much any continuity with the original [rec] series itself) which I was thankful for (I've shared my dislike of found footage before). The setup is decent with a virulent outbreak on a plane mid-flight being a solid setup for a movie (see also Flight of the Living Dead) but 20 minutes in they land the plane and the rest of the film is spent dealing with zombies mostly in empty warehouse-like areas in the backroom areas of the airport terminal. It's mostly a pretty generic zombie movie from that point with a lame terrorist plot thrown in to rationalize it.
Pulse 2 is the sequel to the American remake of the original Japanese film and looks like it took inspiration from The Room in terms of using unnecessary green screen. It seems like about 60% to 70% of it is actors superimposed on static backgrounds for no particular reason (like random street scenes, that kind of thing). The effects also have that stop/start jittery look of a Marilyn Manson video from a decade before. It's too bad because honestly the plot itself had some potential that could have been decent with a better budget and a better director.
The Woman In Black 2 finds our titular ghost haunting a new family in Eel Marsh House, and apparently the director forgot to hire a lighting technician. I don't know if it was intentional but it seems like half this movie is just hearing kids screaming at something in darkness. It's unfortunate because when the lighting is bright enough to see what's going on, it actually has some very nice cinematography and period detail. The story itself is a little slow moving in places but punctuated with random jump scares (I guess to wake you up if you inevitably fall while the camera wandering around in the dark for ten minutes?).
The Fly II had some big shoes to fill coming in after Cronenberg's well-regarded remake. It opens with a bang on a slimy, screamy birthing sequence but once its over it basically settles for being a rehash of the first one, almost beat for beat at times. Still the elaborate practical effects are on point, so just purely on a visceral level it has some merit to it even though Eric Stoltz is definitely no replacement for Jeff Goldblum (but then again, few would be).

Love Means Never Having To Say 'DIE!': Romance in Horror
ImageImageImage
290. You ling ren jian a.k.a. Visible Secret (2001)
291. The Honeymoon Phase (2019)
292. Cô Haû Gaí a.k.a. The Housemaid (2016)
That old hoary cliche about women loving bad boys seems to have imbued horror from the beginning. Bram Stoker's Dracula, both novel and the Universal adaptation from 1931 melded the menace of the other with eroticism and longing that ensured the two genre would stay in touch over the years.
Visible Secret from Ann Hui is a weirdly structured movie that meanders around various plot threads, working to tie up a story of a guy who sparks a romance with a strange girl who claims to see ghosts and a mystery they get involved in regarding a man who was beheaded in a bus incident at the start of the film. Like other Hong Kong films I've seen, it has this uneasy mix of romance, comedy and horror that doesn't entirely gel. I didn't find much of the humor landing and I thought the romance plot could've used fleshing out more. On the horror front, I did think there were a few rather eerie scenes and I was glad to see an Asian horror movie that didn't rely on jump scares. Overall though, I thought this was too muddled with a predictable ending.
The Honeymoon Phase introduces us to a couple, Tom & eve, who have agreed to take part in a social experiment (these always go well, right?) where they will be living together for 30 days not allowed to leave their swanky living quarters while being closely monitored and interviewed daily in exchange for a much needed $50k to get their lives going. Everything is wine and roses for the first half of the study but after they eat some drug-laced edibles and Eve sees another woman from the study banging on their door begging for help, she begins to get the uneasy feeling that something is wrong. When Tom seems bizarrely fixated on having children and she starts to believe she's pregnant, she concludes something is definitely wrong. This one starts out pretty interesting with some good acting but I feel like it stumbles on trying the nail the landing. It adds a superfluous subplot toward the end that didn't need to be there and serves up a really predictable ending.
The Housemaid feels like two different movies vying for supremacy throughout its runtime. One film is an evocatively shot, atmospheric supernatural gothic romance tale of a plantation owner who falls for his recently hired housemaid but is haunted by the ghost of his dead wife. The other is a loud, jump scare thrill ride with over-the-top death scenes and an unstoppable monster. At times, it will jarringly cut between these two creating a kind of tonal dissonance that makes it hard to focus on what's happening. Still the beautiful cinematography and unique period detail makes it worth a watch even with its flaws.

KIDDIE KORNER
293. The Witches (2020)
for the Halloween movie I wanted to put on something that would at least be reliably decent and Robert Zemeckis' new adaptation of the classic Roald Dahl book seemed to fit the bill well enough. I was a big fan of the original Roeg version of the story and its grotesque practical effects, so I watched this with more than a little trepidation knowing it went the CGI route and ends up a mixed bag. As i expected the CGI definitely does evoke the same visceral response as the Roeg version. It also adds a superfluous third kid mouse that wasn't in the book or previous version of the movie. On the positive side, I thought the shift in setting to 1968 Alabama with Octavia Spencer as the grandmother was a good idea and adds another layer in places to the narrative that wasn't there in the previous version of the movie. I also appreciated that this movie kept the original ending of the book rather than the sappy ending of the 1990 film (which has always been one of my biggest complaints with that version). Overall it was a pretty decent effort, although the scene when the witches turn the kids into mice in the ballroom seemed to scare my 7-year-old.

Youth Gone Wild: When Kids Stir Shit Up
ImageImage
294. The Barn (2016)
295. Get Duked! (2019)
Man, teens are just the worst. Sometimes you wanna just rise from the dead in your haunted barn or take to the Scottish Highlands with a hunting rifle and murder the shit out of them. Am I right?
Anyway, The Barn is obviously made on the cheap but does a pretty good job of making the most of its budget. The director knows his way around a camera even though he’s saddled with some incredibly bad actors. The whole thing is designed to look like an old horror film from the ‘80s, from the title font and soundtrack to the post-production film print damage. It’s a decent effort with some pretty good practical effects at times even though the budget is an obvious limitation.
Get Duked! was a fun but slight romp through the Scottish Highlands with a group of slackers and social outcasts who are hunted down by mask wearing “old posh people” as a means of population control I reckon. There were times I actually laughed pretty hard although it had about an equal amount of stupid nonsense too. In general though I think this would be a fun one to watch with a group.

Masters of Horror?: Legendary Horror Directors Tackle TV Movies
ImageImage
296. Invitation to Hell (1984)
297. La dolce casa degli orrori a.k.a. Sweet House of Horrors (1989)
You know, even the best of us have to pay the bills sometimes, even noted successful directors like Wes Craven and Lucio Fulci. As a result, sometimes a TV project is needed to keep oneself afloat until the next great project presents itself.
Invitation to Hell is pretty odd but in a way certainly of a kind with some of Craven’s ‘80s/early ‘90s output like Shocker. The setup is somewhat like Stepford Wives about an exclusive private club who tries to recruit a scientist developing a revolutionary space suit (that includes the ability to identify humans from non-humans as an incredibly convenient plot device). Guys, you will be shocked… SHOCKED to learn that this private club has otherworldly trappings (as if the title of the movie didn’t give it away). This one is pretty laughably bad in places with incredibly dated effects. This was obviously a paycheck movie for Craven.
From Fulci we have the tonally strange Sweet House of Horrors which seems to seesaw wildly between Fulci ultraviolence and light-hearted children’s fantasy. When a couple of kids’ parents are (pretty gruesomely) murdered during a break-in, they are left in the care of foster parents and in the protection of the ghosts of their dead parents who also seek revenge against their killer. This came at a time when Fulci was using very soft lighting which creates a bleary, soap opera-like look to everything. It seemed to work for something like Conquest, but here it just looks bad. But that is just a small complaint behind a much bigger one, the tone and plot. I have no idea who this is targeted to. The scenes of the kids interacting with their parents are fairly light-hearted and playful with cheesy little glowing lights buzzing around and all. But then there are multiple scenes of very brutally violent murders that just left me confused as to who this was intended for. The plot is also just a muddled mess in places with choppy transitions and flat acting. Fulci was definitely not trying here. In fact, the kill scenes are the only parts that Fulci seemed to even try on.

AND THAT IS IT FOR ME FOLKS! You know, I had planned to try to work in a couple more in the wee hours of the morning before dawn so as not to draw Max's ire at stopping at 297 again but I ended up just crashing after that Fulci movie (hell, it was a struggle to pay attention to what was even happening in that weird slop half the time). Sorry, Max. Mighty still has the end-all-be-all horror record. :P
Haunted by the Past
1. Roots Search: Shokushin buttai X (1986)
2. Sazan aizu a.k.a. 3x3 Eyes (1991)
3. Antebellum (2020)
4. Queen of the Damned (2004)
5. The Girl with All the Gifts (2016)
6. Maggie (2015)
7. The Cured (2017)
8. El retorno del Hombre Lobo a.k.a. Night of the Werewolf (1981)
9. Inquisición a.k.a. Inquisition (1977)
10. Los monstruos del terror a.k.a. Assignment: Terror (1970)
11. New Year's Evil (1980)
12. Memorial Valley Massacre (1989)
13. Valentine (2001)
14. Once Upon a Midnight Scary (1979)
15. The Bat (1959)
16. Escapes (1986)
17. An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe (1970)
18. King Kong (1976)
19. Shakma (1990)
20. Link (1986)
21. Gorilla at Large (1954)
22. Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf (1988)
23. The Grim Reaper (1976)
24. The Burning Hell (1974)
25. The Lodge (2019)
26. Most Beautiful Island (2017)
27. Darlin' (2019)
28. The Babysitter: Killer Queen (2020)
29. Kondom des Grauens a.k.a. Killer Condom (1996)
30. Some Guy Who Kills People (2011)
31. The Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It (2007)
32. Perfect Creature (2006)
33. Death Warmed Up (1984)
34. The Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves Are Here! (1972)
35. Mulberry St (2006)
36. Of Unknown Origin (1983)
37. Goosebumps: The Ghost Next Door/ It Came from Beneath the Sink (1998)
38. Starfish (2018)
39. The Endless (2017)
40. The Signal (2014)
41. Ghost of Mae Nak (2005)
42. Taxi Tonight (2005)
43. The Commitment (2004)
44. Goosebumps: Strained Peas/Shocker on Shock Street/Click (1998)
45. Dark Floors (2008)
46. Verotika (2019)
47. Sunset Society (2018)
48. Late Phases (2014)
49. Wildling (2018)
50. Howl (2015)
51. Sledgehammer (1983)
52. Franky and His Pals (1991)
53. Vampire Cop (1990)
54. Triloquist (2008)
55. Possum (2018)
56. Laurin (1989)
57. Vec vidjeno (1987)
58. Paganini Horror (1989)
59. P2 (2007) TSZDT #894
60. ATM (2012)
61. La Secta (2014) a.k.a. The Sect (2014)
62. La venganza del sexo a.k.a. The Curious Dr. Humpp (1969)
63. Limbo a.k.a. Children of the Night (2014)
64. The Munsters' Revenge (1981)
65. Gipeun bam gabjagi a.k.a. Suddenly in the Dark (1981)
66. Pimak a.k.a. The Hut (1981)
67. Salinnabileul ggotneun yeoja a.k.a. Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death (1978)
68, Attila (2013)
69. Nazis at the Center of the Earth (2012)
70. Asian School Girls (2014)
71. 100 Ghost Street: The Return of Richard Speck (2012)
72. U.F.O. ABDUCTION a.k.a. The McPherson Tape (1989)
73. The Houses October Built (2014)
74. Halloweentown (1998)
75. Zombie vs. Ninja (1989)
76, Daai se wong a.k.a. Thunder of Gigantic Serpent (1988)
77. Crocodile Fury (1988)
78. Friend Request (2016)
79. Cry_Wolf (2005)
80. Host (2020)
81. Campfire Tales (1997)
82. The Willies (1990)
83. Screams of a Winter Night (1979)
84. Scooby-Doo! and the Monster of Mexico (2003)
85. Nagin (1976)
86. Hisss (2010)
87. Il dio serpente a.k.a. The Snake God (1970)
88. I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)
89. Los Parecidos a.k.a. The Similars (2015)
90. Always Shine (2016)
91. The Little Vampire (2000)
92. Clown (2014)
93. 31 (2016)
94. Dark Carnival (1993)
95. Modus Anomali a.k.a. Ritual (2012)
96. Sebelum Iblis Menjemput a.k.a. May the Devil Take You (2018)
97. Pengabdi setan a.k.a. Satan's Slave (1982)
98-99. Tales from the Cryptkeeper S2E1-6 (1994)
100. Wacko (1982)
101. Pandemonium (1982)
102. National Lampoon's Class Reunion (1982)
103. Francesca (2015)
104. Ubaldo Terzani Horror Show (2010)
105. Mad in Italy (2011)
106. Alyce Kills (2011)
107. The Gift (2015)
108. The House That Jack Built (2018)
109a. The Munsters: Family Portrait (1964)
109b. The Canterville Ghost (1988)
109c. The Tell-Tale Heart (1941)
110. The Tell-Tale Heart (1934)
111. Children of the Corn: Genesis (2011)
112. Retro Puppet Master (1999)
113. Leatherface (2017)
114. Chin gei bin a.k.a. Vampire Effect (2003)
115. Tôkyô ribingu deddo aidoru a.k.a. Tokyo Living Dead Idol (2018)
116. Dead Mine (2012)
117. Under Wraps (1997)
118. Vamps (2012)
119. Summer of Blood (2014)
120. Kyûketsu Shôjo tai Shôjo Furanken a.k.a. Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl (2009)
121. A Perfect Getaway (2009)
122. Buried (2010)
123. A Lonely Place to Die (2011)
124. Day of the Reaper (1984)
125. Twisted Illusions (!985)
126. Truth or Dare?: A Critical Madness (1986)
127. Killing Spree (1987)
128. Mystery Monsters a.k.a. Goobers! (1997)
129-130a. Ghost Talker's Daydream E1-4 (2004)
130b. Muramasa (1987)
130c. Kiseichuu no Ichiya a.k.a. The Midnight Parasites (1972)
130d. Nidoto mezamenu komoriuta a.k.a. The Death Lullaby (1985)
131. Psycho Diver: Masei Rakuryu a.k.a. Soul Siren (1997)
132-134. Sazan aizu seima densetsu a.k.a. 3x3 Eyes OVA 2: Legend of the Divine Demon E1-3 (1995)
135. Mad Mutilator (1983)
136. Folies Meurtrières (1984)
137. Il était une fois le diable - Devil Story (1985)
138. Twitches (2005)
139. Deliver Us from Evil (2014)
140. American Guinea Pig: The Song of Solomon (2017)
141. The Rite (2011)
142. Anomaly (2016)
143. Pangarap ng puso a.k.a. Demons (2000)
144. Haplos a.k.a. Caress (1982)
145. Kinatay a.k.a. The Execution of P (2009)
146. Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School (1988)
147. Winchester (2018)
148-149. Haunted Lives: True Ghost Stories E2-3 (1991)
150. The Quiet Ones (2014)
151. The Climax (1944)
152. Juggernaut (1936)
153. House of Evil (1968)
154. Relic (2020)
155. The Wasp Woman (1995)
156. Gasu ningen dai 1 gô a.k.a. The Human Vapor (1960)
157a. Garfield in Disguise (1985)
157b. The Devil and Daniel Mouse (1978)
157c. Haunted Lighthouse (2003)
158. Creepy Clips (1995)
159. Last Night a DJ Took My Life (2019)
160. Trashsploitation (2018)
161. Boogeymen: The Killer Compilation (2001)
162. Gameral Special (1991)
163. The Baby of Mâcon (1993)
164. Antibirth (2016)
165. The Unborn (2003)
166. Little Monsters (1989)
167. The Avenging Conscience: or 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' (1914)
168a. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1912)
168b. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1913)
168c. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)
168d. Une nuit terrible (1896)
169a. Le château hanté (1897)
169b. L'auberge ensorcelée (1897)
169c. The Cavalier's Dream (1898)
169d. Évocation spirite (1899)
169e. Faust and Marguerite (1900)
169f. Uncle Josh in a Spooky Hotel (1900)
169g. The Haunted Curiosity Shop (1901)
169h. Les trésors de satan (1902)
169i. Le cake-walk infernal (1903)
169j. Le spectre rouge (1907)
169k. The Haunted Hotel (1907)
169l. Haunted Spooks (1920)
170. Wolf Blood (1925)
171. Cruel Jaws (1995)
172. Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus (2009)
173. The Meg (2018)
174. The Reef (2010)
175. The Mad, Mad, Mad Monsters (1972)
176. Velvet Buzzsaw (2019)
177. Gabal a.k.a. The Wig (2005)
178. Amityville: Doghouse (1996)
179. La región salvaje a.k.a. The Untamed (2016)
180. Things (1989)
181. Welp a.k.a. Cub (2014)
182. The Hallow (2015)
183. Cutting Class (1989)
184. Return to Horror High (1987)
185. Splatter University (1984)
186. Don't Look Under the Bed (1999)
187. Doctor Sleep (2019)
188. Mercy (2014)
189. Desperation (2006)
190. Onna harakiri: seisan a.k.a. Female Harakiri: Celebration (1990)
191. Shiro-shôzoku: harakiri a.k.a. White Clothing: Harakiri (1990)
192. Cold Night: Bloodless Edition (1990)
193. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse - Mickey's Treat (2006)
194. Swallow (2019)
195. Umezu Kazuo: Kyôfu gekijô - Zesshoku a.k.a. Kazuo Umezu's Horror Theater: Diet (2005)
196. The Maid (2005)
197. 23:59 (2011)
198. Paranormal Activity 4 (2012)
199. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2014)
200. R.L. Stine's Monsterville: The Cabinet of Souls (2015)
201. Kamisama no iu tôri a.k.a. As The Gods Will (2014)
202. Doa 3 a.k.a. Door 3 (1996)
203. Kawaii Akuma a.k.a. Cute Devil (1982)
204. Phii khon pen a.k.a. The Victim (2006)
205. Dek hor a.k.a. Dorm (2006)
206. The Road (2011)
207a. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)
207b. The Mouse Factory: Spooks and Magic (1972)
207c-209. Monster Force E1-7 (1994)
210. Encarnação do Demônio a.k.a. Embodiment of Evil (2008)
211. As Boas Maneiras a.k.a. Good Manners (2017)
212. Trabalhar Cansa a.k.a. Hard Labor (2011)
213. Altered (2006)
214. Dark Skies (2013)
215. Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County (1998)
216. Joshua (2006)
217. Joshua (2007)
218. DTV Monster Hits (1987)
219. 13B: Fear Has a New Address (2009)
220. Raat (1992)
221. To All a Goodnight (1982)
222. I'm Dreaming of a White Doomsday (2017)
223. A Christmas Horror Story (2015)
224. Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 (1987)
225. Invisible Sister (2015)
226. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998)
227. Urban Legends: Final Cut (2000)
228. I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006)
229. The New Mutants (2020)
230. Hellboy (2019)
231. Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (2010)
232. Big Bad Wolf (2006)
233. Curse of the Queerwolf (1988)
234. The Wolf of Snow Hollow (2020)
235. Scary Godmother: Halloween Spooktakular (2003)
236. The Spider Woman Strikes Back (1946)
237. The Brute Man (1946)
238. The Mad Ghoul (1943)
239. Suck (2009)
240. Don't Go In The Woods (2010)
241. The Devil's Carnival (2012)
242. La Llorona (2019)
243.La casa del fin de los tiempos a.k.a. House at the End of Time (2013)
244. Madre a.k.a. Mother (2016)
245-252. Kiseijû: Sei no kakuritsu a.k.a. Parasyte: The Maxim E1-24 (2014)
253a. The Adventures of the Scrabble People in a Pumpkin Full of Nonsense (1985)
253b. Festival of Family Classics: Jack O'Lantern (1972)
253c. Monster in My Pocket: The Big Scream (1992)
254. The Belko Experiment (2016)
255. Netherbeast Incorporated (2007)
256. Mayhem (2017)
257. Program na winyan akat a.k.a. Coming Soon (2008)
258. The Hills Run Red (2009)
259. Evil in the Woods (1986)
260. The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About Halloween! (2016)
261. Rattlesnake (2019)
262. Bad Hair (2020)
263. The Inheritance (2011)
264. ABCs of Death 2.5 (2016)
265. My Master Satan (2015)
266. Southbound (2015)
267. Amityville: A New Generation (1993)
268. Geoul sokeuro a.k.a. Into The Mirror (2003)
269. Mirrors (2008)
270. Scooby-Doo! Adventures: The Mystery Map (2013)
271-279. The Haunting of Bly Manor (2020) E1-9
280. The Beach House (2019)
281. Chorakhe a.k.a. Crocodile (1979)
282. Harpoon (2019)
283. Howling IV: The Original Nightmare (1988)
284. Howling V: The Rebirth (1989)
285. Ghost Stories a.k.a. Charles Dickens' Ghost Stories From The Pickwick Papers (1987)
286. Quarantine 2: Terminal (2011)
287. Pulse 2: Afterlife (2008)
288. The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death (2014)
289. The Fly II (1989)
290. You ling ren jian a.k.a. Visible Secret (2001)
291. The Honeymoon Phase (2019)
292. Cô Haû Gaí a.k.a. The Housemaid (2016)
293. The Witches (2020)
294. The Barn (2016)
295. Get Duked! (2019)
296. Invitation to Hell (1984)
297. La dolce casa degli orrori a.k.a. Sweet House of Horrors (1989)
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

The Look of Death
1. The Bells (James Young, 1926)
2. The Magician (Rex Ingram, 1926)

Day 2 - crappy stupid Thai anthology, after a long day of more "real" horrors

3. See prang / 4bia / Phobia (various directors, 2008)

Day 3 - a semi-interesting 60s Filipino vamp flick; more crap from Thailand in the 00s

4. Kulay dugo ang gabi / Blood is the Color of Night / The Blood Drinkers (Gerardo de Leon, 1964)
5. Suay Laak Sai / Sick Nurses (Piraphan Laoyant/Thodsopol Siriwiwat, 2007)

Day 4 - more Filipino horror from the 60s and into the 70s, with a healthy dose of action

6. Brides of Blood (Gerardo de Leon/Eddie Romero, 1968)
7. Mad Doctor of Blood Island (Gerardo de Leon/Eddie Romero, 1968)
8. Beast of Blood (Eddie Romero, 1970)

9. She yao jing / Devil Woman / Bruka, Queen of Evil (Felix Villar/Chi-Lien Yu, 1973)

Day 5 - still more jungle horrors

10. Beast of the Yellow Night (Eddie Romero, 1971)
11. The Twilight People (Eddie Romero, 1972)
12. Vampire Hookers (Cirio H. Santiago, 1978)
13. Primitif / Savage Terror (Sisworo Gautama Putra, 1980)

Day 6 - Out of the Jungle and into the City (mostly) with 4 female-centered domestic horrors from 4 countries

14. The Maid (Kelvin Tong, 2005)
15. Chanthaly (Mattie Do, 2012)
16. Cô Hâu Gái / The Housemaid (Derek Nguyen, 2016)
17. Chermin / Mirror (Zarina Abdullah, 2007)

Day 7 - lesser-known Universal duo; wild & crazy Indonesia evil women

18. The Brute Man (Jean Yarbrough, 1946)
19. Captive Wild Woman (Edward Dmytryk, 1943)

20. Pembalasan Ratu Pantai Selatan / Lady Terminator (H. Tjut Djalil, 1989)
21. Dangerous Seductress (H. Tjut Djalil, 1992)

Day 8 - NOT H.G. Wells

22. The Invisible Man (Leigh Whannell, 2020)

Day 9 - 2 films, 5 directors from Thailand and the Philippines

23. Shutter (Banjong Pisanthanakun/Parkpoom Wongpoom, 2004) TSZDT #293
24. Shake, Rattle & Roll (Emmanuel H. Borlaza/Ishmael Bernal/Peque Gallaga, 1984)

Day 10 - 3 mediocrities from SE Asia and the USA, and finally something that stands out

25. Lumaban ka, Satanas / The Killing of Satan (Efren C. Piñon, 1983)
26. Nang Nak (Nonzee Nimibutr, 1999)
27. The Black Sleep (Reginald LeBorg, 1956)
28. The Werewolf (Fred F. Sears, 1956) TSPDT #741

Day 11 - bad schlock, good schlock, bad "remake" of good schlock

29. Demons of Paradise (Cirio H. Santiago, 1983)
30. Ratu Ilmu Hitam / The Queen of Black Magic (Liliek Sudjio, 1981)
31. Ratu Ilmu Hitam / The Queen of Black Magic (Kimo Stamboel, 2019)

Day 12 - serious gore, and another original/remake, all from Indoneisa

32. Darah / Macabre (Kimo Stamboel/Timo Tjahjanto, as "The Mo Brothers", 2009) TSZDT #906
33. Pengabid Satan / Satan's Slave (Sisworo Gautama Putra, 1982)
34. Pengabid Satan / Satan's Slave (Joko Anwar, 2017)

Day 13 - finally two EXCELLENT horrors - ghostly and real-life - from the Philippines

35. Itim / Black / The Rites of May (Mike De Leon, 1977)
36. Kisapmata / In the Wink of an Eye (Mike De Leon, 1981)

Day 14 - two light comedy-horrors from 1990

37. Frankenhooker (Frank Henenlotter, 1990, TSPDT #717
38. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (John Harrison, 1990, TSZDT #881

Day 15 - two Thai voodoo stories and NOT The Old Dark House

39. Khon len khong / Art of the Devil (Tanit Jitnukul, 2004)
40. Long khong / Art of the Devil 2 (a shitload of directors, 2005)
41. Secret of the Blue Room (Kurt Neumann, 1933)

Day 16 - The Adventures of Michael Myers, Laurie Strode and friends, Chapters 1-3

42. Halloween (John Carpenter, 1978, TSZDT #005 (re-watch)
43. Halloween II (Rick Rosenthal, 1981, TSZDT #245
44. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Tommy lee Wallace, 1982, TSZDT #242

Day 17 - more from Thailand and Michael Myers

45. Pen choo kab pee / The Unseeable (Wisit Sasanatieng, 2006)
46. 3 A.M. 3D (Patchanon Thammajira/Kirati Nakintanon/Isara Nadee, 2012)

The Adventures of Michael Myers, Laurie Strode and friends, Chapters 4-5

47. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (Dwight H. Little, 1988, TSZDT #851
48. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (Dominique Othenin-Girard, 1989)

Day 18 - spooky houses in Indonesia, a spooky child in the Philippines, more spooky Michael Myers

49. Kuntilanak / The Chanting (Rizal Mantovani, 20016)
50. Seklusyon / Seclusion (Erik Matti, 2016(

The Adventures of Michael Myers, Laurie Strode and friends, Chapters 6-7

51. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (Joe Chappelle, 1995)
52. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (Steve Miner, 1998) TSZDT #716

Day 19 - one more 60s Filipino horror, Haddonfield continues to have bad Halloweens

53. Ibulong mo sa hangin / Blood of the Vampires / Curse of the Vampires (Gerardo de Leon, 1966, PHILIPPINES, 82 minutes)

The Adventures of Michael Myers, Laurie Strode and friends, Chapters 8-9

54. Halloween: Resurrection (Rick Rosenthal, 2002)
55. Halloween (Rob Zombie, 2007) TSZDT #530

Day 20 - something interesting from Thailand; same-old same-old pretending to be new in Haddonfield

56. 13 game sayawng / 13 Beloved / 13: Game of Death (Chookiat Saveerakul, 2006)

The Adventures of Michael Myers, Laurie Strode and friends, Chapters 10-11

57. Halloween II (Rob Zombie, 2009)
58. Halloween (David Gordon Green, 2018) TSZDT #944
xx. Half in the Bag Episode 154: Halloween (2018)

Day 21 - just a miscellaneous trio

59. Muoi / Muoi: The Legend of a Portrait (Tae-kyeong Kim, 2007)
60. The Babysitter: Killer Queen (McG, 2020)
61. Chandu the Magician (William Cameron Menzies/Marcel Varnel, 1932)

Day 22 - another typical SE Asian ghost story, and three TSZ classics (or are they?)

62. Eerie (Mikhail Red, 2018)
63. L'orribile segreto del Dr. Hichcock / The Horrible Dr. Hitchcock (Riccardo Freda, 1962) TSZDT #565
64. Angst / Fear (Gerald Kargl, 1983) TSZDT #485
65. Trilogy of Terror (Dan Curtis, 1975) TSZDT #416

Day 23 - Demons and Incubi

66. Pangarap ng puso / Demons (Mario O'Hara, 2000)
67. Incubus (Leslie Stevens, 1966) TSZDT #792

Day 24 - three Japanese modern masters

68. Haze (Shin'ya Tsukamoto, 2005) TSZDT #822
69. Ôdishon / Audition (Takashi Miike, 1999) TSZDT #62
70. Cure (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 1997) TSZDT #401

Day 25 - bird-monsters, blob-monsters, rock-monsters, bug-monsters - yup, it's the 1950s

71. The Giant Claw (Fred F. Sears, 1957)
72. Caltiki il mostro immortale / Caltiki, the Immortal Monster (Riccardo Freda/Mario Bava, 1959)
73. The Monolith Monsters (John Sherwood, 1957)
74. The Deadly Mantis (Nathan Juran, 1957)

Day 26 - Decades of Horror - 1920s-1960s

75. Orlacs Hände / The Hands of Orlac (Robert Wiene, 1924) TSZDT #223
76. The Face at the Window (George King, 1939)
77. Sortilèges / The Bellman (Christian-Jacque, 1945)
78. The Strange Door (Joseph Pevney, 1951)
79. Dark Intruder (Harvey Hart, 1965)

Day 27 - Decades of Horror - 1970s-1990s

80. Hands of the Ripper (Peter Sasdy, 1971) TSZDT #859
81. Galaxy of Terror (Bruce D. Clark, 1981)
82. Daughter of Darkness (Stuart Gordon, 1990)
83. Doctor Mordrid (Albert & Charles Band, 1992)

Day 28 - Decades of Horror - 2000s-2020s + nostalgia bonus

84. Blood: The Last Vampire (Hiroyuki Kitakubo, 2000)
85. Blood: The Last Vampire (Chris Nahon, 2009)
86. Rubber (Quentin Dupieux, 2010)
87. #Saraitda / #Alive (Il Cho, 2020)
88. The Monster Squad (Fred Dekker, 1987) TSZDT #445

Day 29 - TSZ trio, 90s & 50s

89. Dust Devil (Richard Stanley, 1992) TSZDT #673
90. Urban Legend (Jamie Blanks, 1998) TSZDT #638
91. I Bury the Living (Albert Band, 1958) TSZDT #560

Day 30 - sol - but meta horror is the best sort of horror - OldAle1 - we'll have to see about that

92. Scream (Wes Craven, 1996) TSZDT #37 (re-watch)
93. Scream 2 (Wes Craven, 1997) TSZDT #304
94. Scream 3 (Wes Craven, 2000) TSZDT #704
95. Scream 4 (Wes Craven, 2011) TSZDT #920
96. Kamera wo tomeruna! / One Cut of the Dead (Shin'ichirô Ueda, 2017)

Day 31 - TSZ miscellany from the 00s & 70s, and from France/Romania, Canada, the UK and Spain

97. Ils / Them (David Moreau/Xavier Palud, 2006) TSZDT #428
98. Rituals (Peter Carter, 1977) TSZDT #647
99. Theater of Blood (Douglas Hickox, 1973) TSZDT #259
100. Pánico en el Transiberiano / Horror Express (Eugenio Martín, 1972) TSZDT #316
Best & Worst so far
MASTERPIECE (10)
1. Ôdishon
EXCELLENT (9)
2. Angst
3. Kipasmata
4. Rubber
VERY GOOD (8)
5. Cure
6. Ratu Ilmu Hitam (1981)
7. The Werewolf
8. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
9. Pánico en el Transiberiano
10. Pangarap ng puso
-
-
-
POOR (4)
95. See prang
TERRIBLE (3)
96. Rocktober Blood
97. Blood: The Last Vampire (2009)
98. Suay Laak Sai
99. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (but really this is SO BAD IT'S GOOD)
100. Hollow Gate
101. Vampire Hookers
102. Demon of Paradise
103. Halloween: Resurrection
GODAWFUL (2)
104. The Face in the Window
The Haddonfield Horror, ranked
MASTERPIECE (10)
-
EXCELLENT (9)
1. Halloween (1978)
VERY GOOD (8)
2. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
GOOD (7)
3. Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later
OK, MORE GOOD THAN BAD (6)
4. Halloween (2007)
5. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
MEDIOCRE, MORE BAD THAN GOOD (5)
6. Halloween (2018)
7. Halloween II (1981)
8. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers)
POOR (4)
9. Halloween II (2009)
TERRIBLE (3)
10. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (but really this is SO BAD IT'S GOOD)
11. Halloween: Resurrection
Day 32 - Bonus Chalenge and Done

I thought about several possibilities when Max announced this last bonus challenge involving various areas that I hadn't really explored, but most of them just didn't give me a fire in the belly --- until a couple of days ago when RLM media posted their latest BestOfTheWorst episode, and it all became clear. So many personal reasons for this - I live in the same state as these guys, and share their taste for So-Bad-It's-Good, and their site is, next to this one, the movie-related site I've spent the most time on for the past few years. Mike, Jay, Rich and the gang are 15 years younger versions of me and my friends from college if we'd continued to hang out together and found a way to turn our hobbies into a career. Plus, beer.

OldAle1's Rocktober Heavy Metal Halloween Super-Spooktacular, Courtesy of BestOfThe Worst

For these films and these films only I am also instituting my own patented OldAle1 So-Bad-It's-Good Ultimate List Challenge, wherein through highly scientific and inscrutable means I calculate whether each film is worthy of placing on the OldAle1 Wonderfully Terrible list - an honor so worthwhile that no award can do it justice. Films will be evaluated on the following criteria:

The PIG (Pseudo-Intellectual Git) Number (1-10) - the actual, never before revealed OldAle1 IMDb rating; if the number is 6 or higher, this number will automatically be used and the following SBIG will be ignored.
The SBIG (So Bad It's Good) Number: (0 or 6-10) this is only meaningful if it exceeds the PIG number, at which point it takes the place of said figure; furthermore it only can be even potentially operational if the PIG number is below 6 - a film can't be so bad it's good if it isn't bad in the first place, can it? If the film is not judged to have a higher SBIG number then the PIG number is used.
The HMM (Heavy Metal Memories) Number (1-10): Since we're talking rock-and-roll horror, the rock-and-roll ought to be a valuable part of the film's success, amirite? Points for quality of Big 80s Hair, Shredding, Spandex, Actual Musical Quality (where Led Zep or Metallica are 10, Poison is maybe 7, Motley Crue or Ratt are 5-6, etc), use of umlauts, stage performances and sets (if any) etc.
The SPOOK Number (1-10): You can figure this one out for yourselves, and finally
The DOM (Dirty Old Man) Number (0-3): A late addition, only determined while watching the first film: I realized that, even more than in regular run-of-the-mill slashers of the era, a certain, er, prurient quality is expected, even desired in these films. Hot babes, nudity, sexual perversions, salacious dialogue - you get it. It's less important overall though and not absolutely necessary to get the film entrance into a lofty place of honor, so less points.

So given that only one of the PIG or SBIG numbers will be used, the maximum score is 33. Some slight revisions will be made to the last two films given their somewhat different generic attributes.

101. Rocktober Blood (Beverly Sebastian, 1984)
Featured in Best of the Worst: Plinketto #6, 2018)

RLM have done at least one rock & roll / horror film every Halloween for several years, in addition to occasional films that meet the horror-music criteria outside of Halloween, such as my first choice here. I could spoiler this for the UNBELIEVABLE plot twist, but why bother? You either won't care because you'll be bored and/or irritated, or you'll guess it right away, or both - that is, if you don't already know because you saw the episode. Looking at the IMDb cast list will kill the surprise also so fuck it, it's an EVIL TWIN film. Yes, when scumbag musician Billy 'Eye' Harper flips out and kills a bandmate, then tries to kill lead singer Lynn, but is captured, tried, convicted and executed, his apparent return to the living - and to torment Lynn and the band a couple of years later - is supposed to be absolutely shocking and incredible as Lynn finds it - and of course, everyone else finds it too unbelievable to be true. "She's crazy". No, she just likes to take off her clothes gratuitously and act very, very badly, something she's joined in (the acting, not for the most part the nudity) by everyone else in this dull out-of-tune flick. The music is pretty lame apart from the first song in the finale - which is merely so-so - and the non-ending takes it down a notch from it's already low rating. I did NOT watch the 20-minute infomercial that's after the feature, but if you are a Christian fundamentalist who really cares about greyhounds, you might find it worthwhile.

PIG: 3 SBIG 0 HMM 5 SPOOK 3 DOM 2 - TOTAL: 13 points, not even close

102. Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare (John Fasano, 1987)
Featured in Best of the Worst: Jack-O, Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare, and Shark Exorcist, 2019

This is a strange one to deal with. On the whole this feels mostly like a vanity picture; Vancouver-born bodybuilder-musician Jon-MIkl Thor (if you had that name and were born in 1955, you would HAVE to become a hair-metal singer, wouldn't you?) wrote the music and the film, produced, and stars as - wait for it - John Triton (and the production company is "Thunder" - no, no god complex here), lead singer and songwriter for a hair-metal band who has taken his bandmates up to Canada (they complain about this as if they're all American and on a long and pointless trip, but just about everybody has a Canadian accent and their van has Ontario plates) to a lonely farmhouse to rehearse the new album and strange things start to happen - a disappearance, and then some good ol' killings. And some weird little play-doh hand-puppet monsters. And finally.... SATAN!!! And there's a twist here too which really I don't think most people would get (if it's set up at all I sure didn't see it), which is that the whole thing is a figment of John's imagination, all engineered so he could get the devil to fight him. He's the only one there. This is much more fun than the first film and the "climactic" battle with the play-doh starfish and the really bad Lucifer costume is hilarious, and there are all kinds of other goofy elements like the piano bed and John's attitude about sex. As I said, it mostly feels like a vanity project - but the underlying concept about artist's needs is an interesting one and on some level this also feels like it could be a parody of "artsy" music- or horror films. It's definitely goofy any way you slice it.

PIG: 5 SBIG 8 HMM 7 SPOOK 3 DOM 3 - TOTAL: 21 points, has strong potential

103. Shock 'Em Dead (Mark Freed, 1991)

The only one of these five films to feature any actors anybody is likely to have heard of (unless die-hard bad movie buffs), this has Traci Lords as the headliner in her 5th non-porn film role, and giving maybe the best performance in the film, though that is saying very little - she's just kind of bland and a non-entity here in a severely underwritten part, at least for the "star" of a film, while everybody else is pretty much terrible, especially the real star of the film, Stephen Quadros, who plays Angel Martin, a loser would-be guitarist who auditions for the band Lords manages but sucks so badly that he goes crawling back to the worthless pizza-place job he quit, only to be denied his job there. Facing living on the streets, he does what any normal man would do and goes to the local witch doctor who promises him success for...HIS SOUL!!! This is slightly less lame than Rocktober Blood because it's slightly weirder and has better music - apparently they got an actual ace guitarist (forget who, not gonna bother looking it up) to do the guitar solos and those are pretty cool, though the cover of "Purple Haze" that opens the film is simply awful. Lots and lots of nudity (but not involving TL who by this time had gone from all-nudity-and-all-sex to, I want to be a real actress and not get naked anymore) here and lots of blood and terrible green goop/vomit effects and another pretty damn lame-o ending. Also a couple of other recognizable actors - though in a different way than Lords - 50s-60s second-stringers Troy Donahue and Aldo Ray make uninteresting cameos as record company execs. Actually maybe Ray is the pizza parlor owner. Or the landlord at the trailer park. Shit I don't know or care.

PIG: 4 SBIG 6 HMM 4 SPOOK 4 DOM 3 - TOTAL: 17 points, some decent effort, but no dice

104. Hollow Gate (Ray DiZazzo, 1988)

Not a rock and roll flick though it seems for a moment like it might be - the four kids (well, 20somethings pretending to be underaged) that are our protagonists are headed to Oklahoma from out of state to a place called The Hanger for a Halloween night of music, but... you guessed it, they never get there. Instead they get detoured by a mansion occupied by a total psycho who decides to kill all of them, dressed up in various costumes that they have brought him because... ehh, if you watch it you can find out, I don't feel like bothering. This was just utterly boring; like all of these films to one extent or another it feels stretched out, like it was a little too short to be a real feature so they had to add a few minutes of dialogue, or running, or screaming, or whatever here and there to get it over 80 minutes - but in this case it feels like half of it's padding. The most egregious example which the RLM guys have a lot of fun with is that the exposition about our psycho-killer is recounted at length TWICE, once by a bunch of lawyers and then later by a couple of cops. This does have a pretty damn funny first kill scene, involving a car, an obnoxious asshole dude who makes fun of psycho guy, and panties stuffed in the gas tank and a lighter...

No nudity in this one, well, maybe a second. Since it's not rock-and-roll I'm going to substitute a category called HHH which means Hounds of Halloween Hell, reflecting the Halloween theme since this film alone of the group actually takes place on Halloween - how well does it reflect the spirit of the season? And there are dogs.

PIG: 3 SBIG 0 HHH 6 SPOOK 3 DOM 1 - TOTAL: 13 points; a few creative moments undermined by extreme dullness

xxx. The Satan Killer (Stephen Calamari, 1993)

The last film of the night, and of the night for Mike, Jay, Rich and Josh is not actually a horror film at all, so I'm not counting it for the challenge, though it fooled me just as it seems to have fooled them by the title, box cover

and the opening scene, a killer's-eye view of a beautiful babe in a swimming pool, soon to be a victim. So it's a serial killer flick, sort of, but it's a cop-chasing-serial-killer film rather than one focused on the victims offering no way out - which would have made it more horror than action, ultimately the prime genre here. There's also a funhouse scene midway through that brings the horror vibe but it's only 5 minutes and I don't think it cuts the mustard. No, most of this film is Yellow-Shirt-Cop (the RLM guys call him drunk cop, which he is, but he wears the same fucking yellow shirt throughout the film (except flashbacks) which takes place over several days, so its YSC for me, anyway YSC trying to find and kill Fu Manchu Serial Killer, an immense biker dude who seems to take murdering as his primary career (late in the film we find out he's also a bodyguard for a drug dealer, but mostly we just see him killing people for mostly no reason). As the guys mention, the first chunk of the film - maybe a third - are just horribly edited and make very little sense; oh the basics are easy to follow, but there are all sorts of little side plots and characters that seem to go nowhere, and while this is a little better later in the film, we still have for example two character introduced as new partners for YSC just so they can die in the next scene. Also the airport scene, ha! Again, terrible acting though FMSK is at least impressive as a threatening psycho, and the action sequences aren't too bad - in fact the last long set-piece is actually pretty good. Set in and filmed in the Virginia Beach/Tidewater region, and filled with secondary cast members with real local accents, this is also cool for the location-obsessed like me. It's too incompetent, particularly at the beginning, to qualify as "good" overall, but it's enormously fun and might have been the most enjoyable of the day, certainly at least on the level of Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare. Since it's not horror I'm not going to bother with my very particular and highly tested ratings system for this film, but suffice it to say it is quite likely So Bad It's Good - worthy.

zzz. Best of the Worst: Shock 'Em Dead, Hollow Gate, and The Satan Killer (2020)

Mike really, really does drink too much.

Thanks Max! I had enormous fun with this challenge, found one new all-time favorite and a few that are close, and plenty of great schlock. And broke my personal best score by one, which is all I could ask for given that I was concentrating on another challenge too and don't have 88 hours a day to watch films.
Last edited by OldAle1 on November 1st, 2020, 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

I've been so busy with this challenge I almost forgot to post my last viewings...
"1. The Exorcist (1973) TSZDT #1; #DEATHLIST 5
2. Ernest Scared Stupid (1991) #BINGO C1
3. Theater of Blood (1973) TSZDT #259 #DEATHLIST 3
4. Anaconda (1997) #DEATHLIST 4
5. The Hills Have Eyes (1977) #DEATHLIST 8; TSZDT #165
6. Hellraiser (1987) TSZDT #45
7. Shutter (2004) TSZDT #293
8. Halloween (1978) TSZDT #5; #BINGO A4
9. The Babysitter (2017) #BINGO A2 #Deathlist 6
10. House on Haunted Hill (1959) TSZDT 158"
"11. Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994) TSZDT #197; #BINGO B2
12. The Wicker Man (1973) TSZDT #30
13. Alien (1979) TSZDT #4; #DEATHLIST 9
14. Shark Exorcist (2015)
15. Ouija Shark (2020)
16. Species (1995) TSZDT #936
17. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994) TSZDT #775; #DEATHLIST 1
18. Thankskilling (2009)
19. Martyrs (2008) TSZDT #92; #BINGO A1; #DEATHLIST 2
20. Hocus Pocus (1993) TSZDT #789"
"21. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) TSZDT #12
22. 28 Days Later… (2002) TSZDT #48; #BINGO D3
23. Vampires (1998) TSZDT #942; #BINGO B1
24. Shake, Rattle & Roll (1984, Philippines)
25. Mermaid Isle (2020)
26. Night of the Living Dead (1968) TSZDT #8; #BINGO D2
27. Dawn of the Dead (1978) TSZDT #13; #BINGO D1
28. Prom Night IV: Deliver Us from Evil (1992) #BINGO A3
29. The Witches (1990) TSZDT #688
30. Santa Jaws (2018)"
"31. Aliens (1986) TSZDT #52, #BINGO C3
32. Suspiria (1977) TSZDT #16
33. The Evil Dead (1981) TSZDT #14
34. The Birds (1963) TSZDT #22
35. An American Werewolf in London (1981) TSZDT#25
36. Assassination Nation (2018)
37. Tragedy Girls (2017) #DEATHLIST 10
38. Blood Diner (1987)
39. Evil Dead II (1987) TSZDT #19
40. Dawn of the Dead (2004) TSZDT #144, #BINGO D4"
"41. Land Shark (2017)
42. Blood Ties (1991) #BINGO B3
43. Vamp (1986) TSZDT #620; #BINGO B4
44. The Omen (1976) TSZDT #32
45. Tremors: Shrieker Island (2020) #BINGO C2
46. Buried Alive (1990) #DEATHLIST 7
47. The Haunting (1963) TSZDT #26; #DEATHLIST 13
48. The Cabin in the Woods (2011) TSZDT #97
49. Seven Stages to Achieve Eternal Bliss By Passing Through the Gateway Chosen By the Holy Storsh (2018) #DEATHLIST 11
50. Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) TSZDT #71"
51. Se7en (1995) TSZDT #54
52. Shaun of the Dead (2004) TSZDT #55
53. Onibaba (1964) TSZDT #81
54. Jack Frost (1997) #BINGO C4
55. Ringu (1998) TSZDT #34
56. Lake Mungo (2008) TSZDT #543 #DEATHLIST 12
57. The Innocents (1961) TSZDT #27
58. Eyes Without a Face (1960) TSZDT #44
59. Oldboy (2003) TSZDT #813

Oldboy was a rewatch, and a productive one. The others were fair, but not my thing.

Halloween FF: Family Ties
60. Scream 4 (2011) TSZDT #920 Starring RORY Culkin
61. Talisman (1998) Starring WALTER Jones
62. The Howling (1981) TSZDT #82 Starring DEE Wallace
63. Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) Starring ALISHA Boe
64. Dark House (2014) Starring MAX Gail

Scream 4 was great. The Howling was OK. The rest were so bad they put me in a bad enough mood that I had to lie down by myself for an hour and then watch Ghostbusters II to get out of the funk.
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

And with that... let's make this final call. OP is updated - challenge standings accurate as of this writing, Bonus Challenges accurate as of earlier this morning. If you have any corrections or final viewings, let's get them in.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Did I skip a couple numbers by accident? Or are you not counting Get Duked / November? [my personal final count was 35]

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

maxwelldeux wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:59 pm And with that... let's make this final call. OP is updated - challenge standings accurate as of this writing, Bonus Challenges accurate as of earlier this morning. If you have any corrections or final viewings, let's get them in.
Super minor and inconsequential, but I got an A3 square in the Bingo challenge (on my 25th movie).
Owner of two platinums:
  • FilmTotaal Top 100
  • IMDb's Sci-Fi Top 50
greenhorg

Post by greenhorg »

If you add in the 495 extra minutes of whatnot my final tally is 38. Which should bring me up to like 900th place.
psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik »

adwest wrote: October 31st, 2020, 6:32 am
psychotronicbeatnik wrote: October 30th, 2020, 6:40 pm
Argento is worth being a fan over.

I've collected used copies of seasons 1-5 of American Horror Story because it just looks great to me plus I'm a Jessica Lange fan - but I never get around to watching them. Maybe next year. I haven't seen a lot of people here mention them but your description has me intrigued, even though I've never been sharpening a knife with Levine in mind. :lol: You inspired me to take a closer look at the cast for all the seasons and after discovering so many favorites listed I really can't believe I've been waiting so long to see this. Definitely top of the list for next year!
Jessica Lange is great in them. I think next year I'll watch Season 3 and Season 8. I think she's in both.

Oh, and if you ever watched The Voice, you might have more murderous thoughts about Mr. Levine. At least after the 20th time he said the same thing. :D
I think I'll keep The Voice off my viewing list. I actually had to google Adam Levine to find out who he was, so perhaps that's why I don't want to see him stabbed but given repeated exposure I'm sure I might feel the same way. :lol:

Congrats on passing 200, BTW! And we'll see how it shakes out but you are certainly going to place very high this month - higher than me and certainly higher than that challenge slacker Maxwell!

I'd like to leave you with a parting horror rec - too late to fit it in this year but it might fit into another upcoming challenge: Anna and the Apocalypse. I suspect you might enjoy this one and I'll only be embarrassed if you actually already saw it this month and I overlooked that fact. I'm glad you joined us for this challenge!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Oh, I forgot to add the four episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark I watched which would've given me an extra point making it 298.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

psychotronicbeatnik wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:40 pm
I think I'll keep The Voice off my viewing list. I actually had to google Adam Levine to find out who he was, so perhaps that's why I don't want to see him stabbed but given repeated exposure I'm sure I might feel the same way. :lol:
I don't watch The Voice but I just know him as the dude from Maroon 5 who I'm not a fan of but somehow ended up seeing in concert twice before they ever got famous... I will say they did a pretty dope cover of Prince's Darling Nikki though.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Leopardi wrote: November 1st, 2020, 3:12 am
flavo5000 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 3:07 am KIDDIE KORNER
285. Ghost Stories a.k.a. Charles Dickens' Ghost Stories From The Pickwick Papers (1987)
Oh shit. This was legit creepy. I quite liked this adaptation of several of Dickens’ ghostly horror stories. In fact, one of the stories I actually had on a VHS when I was a kid and must’ve watched it over a dozen times but had no idea what it was from until now. Specifically I’m referring to the 4th segment about a bitter, drunken grave digger who is tormented by Death and dragged into Hell on Christmas Eve. It’s a sort of dry run for A Christmas Carol, similar to the Ghost of Christmas Future but even more creepy and weird. The animation in this special is a little on the cheap side with some low frame counts in places which is a shame because the actual artwork is actually very good at times. This actually crept out my kids quite a bit to the point my son left the room while it was on (I mean, it’s not terrifying but things can get pretty damn scary when you are a seven year old).
I picked this one up a couple of days ago, and I can't wait to watch it! One of my favourite finds of the year, easily, and it's great to know it's got some good creep factor (for kids at least) - thanks for the review!
Yea, it's actually pretty funny at times too. This was almost certainly one of the best of the Kiddie Korner watches this month.
psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

flavo5000 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:42 pm Oh, I forgot to add the four episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark I watched which would've given me an extra point making it 298.
Heck, I chided Max that you would stop at 299 to frustrate him - just missed it by one! :lol:

And again, :worship: goes out to you flavo. An amazing month of views as well as reviews. :cheers:
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

psychotronicbeatnik wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:59 pm
flavo5000 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:42 pm Oh, I forgot to add the four episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark I watched which would've given me an extra point making it 298.
Heck, I chided Max that you would stop at 299 to frustrate him - just missed it by one! :lol:
I crashed almost right at midnight...I even had a third Master of Horror TV movie (Tobe Hooper's The Apartment Complex) queued up to watch if I could've kept going but I'm just getting too old to do all-nighters nowadays... :pinch:
psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Full Moon Over Lon Chaney: The Classic Universal Wolf Man Cycle
143. The Wolf Man (1941 / George Waggner) 9/10 {70 m. }
144. Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man (1943 / Roy William Neill) 7-/10 {74 m. }
145. House of Frankenstein (1944 / Erle C. Kenton) 6+/10 {71 m. }
146. House of Dracula (1945 / Erle C. Kenton) 7-/10 {67 m. }

And those last four films were my addition to Max's Halloween theme party. I already watched Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein last weekend (this month's movie with my son) or that would have been added to make the cycle complete. In my opinion, Chaney still doesn't get the credit he deserves. He was the only one of the classic Universal actors to see his character all the way through the golden age cycle of horrors, and he always brought the proper pathos, panache and power to his portrayals. The films themselves may have gotten weaker (but still very watchable) as the series neared the end, but it certainly ended on a high point when the monsters met Bud & Lou. So, here's to Creighton Tull Chaney and the full moon that rose over Halloween 2020!

:cheers: to all my fellow horror aficionados! Congrats to flavo :worship: and a big severed hand for Maxwell :poshclap: for adding all the extra touches this challenge deserves. We put the Horror at #1 in the most horrific year.

Mad Monster Party?!
1. Kamera wo tomeruna!; aka: One Cut of the Dead (2017 / Shin’ichiro Ueda) FTV 5/10 {96 m.}
2. Gretel & Hansel (2020 / Oz Perkins) FTV 5+/10 {87 m.}
3. The Dark Red (2018 / Dan Bush) FTV 8/10 {101 m.}
4. The Stepford Wives (1975 / Bryan Forbes) FTV 5/10 {115 m.}
5. Gancore Gud; aka: Dead Bite (2011 / Apisit Opasaimlikit / Thailand) FTV 6+/10 {94 m.}
6. Vampariah (2016 / Matthew Abaya / Philippines) FTV 6/10 {90 m.}
7. Lords of Chaos (2018 / Jonas Akerlund) FTV 9/10 {118 m.}
8. Midsommar (2019 / Ari Aster) FTV 7+/10 {148 m.}
9. Snatchers (2019 / Stephen Cedars, Benji Kleiman) FTV 8+/10 {96 m.}
10. Brides of Blood (1968 / Gerardo de Leon, Eddie Romero / Philippines) FTV 7+/10 {97 m.}
11. Mad Doctor of Blood Island (1968 / Gerardo de Leon, Eddie Romero / Philippines) 7/10 {95 m.}
12. Beast of Blood (1970 / Eddie Romero / Philippines) 7+/10 {90 m.}
13. The Beast of the Yellow Night (1971 / Eddie Romero / Philippines) 6+/10 {90 m.}
14. Raw Force (1982 / Edward Murphy / Philippines) 8/10 {90 m.}
15. Pembalasan Ratu Pantai Selatan; aka: Lady Terminator (1989 / H. Tjut Djalil / Indonesia) 8/10 {82 m.}
16. Seed of Darkness (2006 / Michael Chuah / Malaysia) FTV 5/10 {102 m.}
17-26. NOS4A2: Season One, Ep. 1-10 (2019) FTV 7+/10 {456 m. }
27. The Attic (2017 / Kaprice Kea / Thailand) FTV 5/10 {72 m.}
28. Ma (2019 / Tate Taylor) FTV 7-/10 {99 m. }
29. Villains (2019 / Dan Berk) FTV 8/10 {90 m. }
30. Halloween (2018 / David Gordon Green) FTV 7/10 {106 m. }
31. Camp Cold Brook (2018 / Andy Palmer) FTV 6/10 {86 m. }
32. The Twilight People (1972 / Eddie Romero / Philippines) FTV 5+/10 {81 m.}
33. Beyond Atlantis (1973 / Eddie Romero / Philippines) FTV 7-/10 {91 m.}
34. Anna and the Apocalypse (2017 / John McPhail) 8+/10 {93 m.}
35. Doctor Sleep (2019 / Mike Flanagan) FTV 7/10 {152 m. }
36. Black Christmas (2019 / Sophia Takal) FTV 7/10 {92 m. }
37. Prevenge (2016 / Alice Lowe) FTV 8/10 {88 m. }
38. Color Out of Space (2019 / Richard Stanley) FTV 8-/10 {111 m. }
39. The Offering (2016 / Kelvin Tong / Singapore) FTV 5/10 {95 m.}
40. Demons (2018 / Daniel Hui / Singapore) FTV 7/10 {84 m.}
41. The Invisible Man (2020 / Leigh Whannell) FTV 7/10 {124 m. }
42. Lokalvardaren; aka: Feed the Light (2014 / Henrik Moller) FTV 7-/10 {81 m. }
43. The Lords of Salem (2012 / Rob Zombie) FTV 7+/10 {101m.}
44. 3 from Hell (2019 / Rob Zombie) FTV 7+/10 {115 m. }
45. Creep (2014 / Patrick Brice) FTV 7/10 {77 m. }
46-51. Creepshow: Season One, Ep. 1-6 (2019) FTV 8/10 {265 m. }
52. It (2017 / Andy Muschietti) FTV 7+/10 {135 m. }
53. It Chapter Two (2019 / Andy Muschietti) FTV 7-/10 {169 m. }
54. Dek hor; aka: Dorm (2006 / Songyos Sugmakanan / Thailand) FTV 7+/10 {110 m.}
55. Monster High: Scaris, City of Frights (2013 / Dustin Mckenzie, Andrew Duncan, Audu Paden) FTV 6+/10 {61 m. }
56. Tower of Terror (1997 / D.J. Machale) FTV 6/10 {89 m. }
57. Return to Halloweentown (2006 / David Jackson) FTV 4/10 {88 m. }
58-59. The Twilight Zone: Season One, Ep. 1-2 (2019) FTV 6/10 {92 m. }
60. The Mummy (1932 / Karl Freund) 8/10 {73 m. }
61. House of Mystery (1934 / William Nigh) FTV 6+/10 {62 m.}
62. The Ape Man (1943 / William Beaudine) 7/10 {64 m.}
63. Voodoo Man (1944 / William Beaudine) 7/10 {62 m.}
64. The Face of Marble (1946 / William Beaudine) 6+/10 {72 m.}
65. Scooby-Doo! Frankencreepy (2014 / Paul McEvoy) FTV 7+/10 {74 m. }
66. Lumaban ka, Satanas; aka: The Killing of Satan (1983 / Efren C. Pinon / Philippines) FTV 6+/10 {93 m.}
67. Scooby-Doo! Moon Monster Madness (2015 / Paul McEvoy) 8/10 {80 m. }
68. Chill Out, Scooby-Doo! (2007 / Joe Sichta) FTV 6+/10 {72 m. }
69-73. Dark Shadows: Episodes 313-326 (1967 / Lela Swift, John Sedwick) FTV 8/10 {308 min. total}
74. Badoet; aka: Clown of the Dead (2015 / Awi Suryadi / Indonesia) FTV 7/10 {87 m.}
75. Nosferatu (1922 / F.W. Murnau) 10/10 {94 m.}
76. The Vampire (1957 / Paul Landres) 8/10 {75 m.}
77. The Return of Dracula (1958 / Paul Landres) 8/10 {77 m.}
78. Terror Is a Man (1959 / Gerardo de Leon, Eddie Romero / Philippines) 7/10 {97 m.}
79. Kulay dugo ang gabi; aka: The Blood Drinkers (1964 / Gerardo de Leon / Philippines) 7+/10 {88 m.}
80. Modus Anomali; aka: Ritual (2012 / Joko Anwar / Indonesia) FTV 6-/10 {87 m.}
81-90. The Exorcist: Season One, Ep. 1-10 (2016) FTV 7/10 {434 m. }
91. Santet; aka: Black Magic (2018 / Helfi C.H. Kardit / Indonesia) FTV 6/10 {85 m.}
92. Demon of Paradise (1987 / Cirio H. Santiago / Philippines) 7-/10 {87 m.}
93. The Lease (2018 / Paolo Bertola / Philippines) FTV 4+/10 {96 m.}
94. Ready or Not (2019 / Matt Bettinelli, Tyler Gillett) FTV 7+/10 {95 m. }
95. Babycall; aka: The Monitor (2011 / Pal Sletaune) FTV 7+/10 {96 m. }
96. Happy Death Day (2017 / Christopher Landon) FTV 7+/10 {96 m. }
97. The Wretched (2019 / Brett and Drew T. Pierce) FTV 7/10 {95 m. }
98. Assassination Nation (2018 / Sam Levinson) FTV 7-/10 {108 m. }
99. The Grudge (2020 / Nicolas Pesce) FTV 6+/10 {94 m. }
100. Zombadings 1: Patayin sa shokeot si Remington; aka: Remington and the Curse of the Zombadings (2011 / Jade Castro / Philippines) FTV 6/10 {96 m.}
101. Take Me Home (2016 / Kongkiat Khomsiri / Thailand) FTV 5/10 {94 m.}
102. Opapatika; aka: Demon Warriors (2007 / Thanakorn Pongsuwan / Thailand) FTV 5+/10 {103 m.}
103. Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark (2019 / Andre Ovredal) FTV 7+/10 {108 m. }
104. Ghost Stories (2017 / Jeremy Dyson, Andy Nyman) FTV 7/10 {98 m. }
105. Antichrist (2009 / Lars von Trier) FTV 6/10 {108 m. }
106-115. Castle Rock: Season Two, Ep. 1-10 (2019) FTV 8+/10 {478 m. }
116. Misery (1990 / Rob Reiner) 8+/10 {107 m.}
117. The Intruder (2019 / Deon Taylor) FTV 8-/10 {102 m. }
118. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948 / Charles Barton, Walter Lantz) 9/10 {83 m.}
119. Shutter (2004 / Banjong Pisanthanakun, Parkpoom Wongpoom / Thailand) 7/10 {97 m.}
120. Phii khon pen; aka: The Victim (2006 / Monthon Arayangkoon / Thailand) FTV 7/10 {108 m.}
121. Hotel de Sade (2013 / Oman Dhas / Singapore) FTV 4+/10 {100 m.}
122. Nilalang; aka: Geisha of Death (2015 / Pedring Lopez / Philippines) FTV 6/10 {90 m.}
123. Dead Mine (2012 / Steven Sheil / Indonesia) FTV 7/10 {87 m.}

124-130. Shorter Works{427 min. total}
a. Dark Shadows: Episodes 327-342 (1967 / Lela Swift, John Sedwick) FTV 8/10 {352 min.}
b. Scooby-Doo Where Are You!: What a Night for a Knight (1969) 7/10 {23 min.}
c. The Scooby-Doo Show: The Headless Horseman of Halloween (1976) FTV 6/10 {24 m.}
d. The Scooby-Doo Show: The No-Faced Zombie Chase (1976) FTV 7+/10 {24 m.}
e. Scaredy Cat Temptations (2020) FTV 7-/10 {4 m.}

131-140. Swamp Thing: Season One, Episodes 1-10 (2019 /) FTV 7/10 {489 m. }
141. Seven Footprints to Satan (1929 / Benjamin Christensen) 8/10 {76 m. }
142. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931 / Rouben Mamoulian) FTV 7+/10 {98 m. }

143. The Wolf Man (1941 / George Waggner) 9/10 {70 m. }
144. Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man (1943 / Roy William Neill) 7-/10 {74 m. }
145. House of Frankenstein (1944 / Erle C. Kenton) 6+/10 {71 m. }
146. House of Dracula (1945 / Erle C. Kenton) 7-/10 {67 m. }

Views: 146 / FTV’s: 121 / {10,976 m.}
psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

flavo5000 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 10:21 pm
I crashed almost right at midnight...I even had a third Master of Horror TV movie (Tobe Hooper's The Apartment Complex) queued up to watch if I could've kept going but I'm just getting too old to do all-nighters nowadays... :pinch:
I hear you - I intended to watch Mad Monster Party as my grand finale but I could barely keep my eyes open through the last two Chaneys - no reflection on the films themselves. :cheers:
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

outdoorcats wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:19 pm Did I skip a couple numbers by accident? Or are you not counting Get Duked / November? [my personal final count was 35]
I just missed a couple. You're updated in my spreadsheet now. :thumbsup:
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

Kublai Khan wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:22 pm
maxwelldeux wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:59 pm And with that... let's make this final call. OP is updated - challenge standings accurate as of this writing, Bonus Challenges accurate as of earlier this morning. If you have any corrections or final viewings, let's get them in.
Super minor and inconsequential, but I got an A3 square in the Bingo challenge (on my 25th movie).
Thanks! Updated. :thumbsup:
maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux »

greenhorg wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:27 pm If you add in the 495 extra minutes of whatnot my final tally is 38. Which should bring me up to like 900th place.
I wasn't sure what was up with those shorts... but they're added now! :thumbsup:

And if you take the square-root of your guess, you wouldn't be far off. :P
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Until when do I have to submit my last few watches?
It’s late here and want to go to sleep. But if you’re closing the call soon I will just post there titles for now and write reviews another time.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

So THIS IS where you people are hanging around when no <400 countdown is taking place!
Casually doing a very few 300 films a month for some challenge, because why not.

:woot:

You know you are crazy, right? :ICM:
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Torgo wrote: November 1st, 2020, 11:59 pm So THIS IS where you people are hanging around when no <400 countdown is taking place!
Casually doing a very few 300 films a month for some challenge, because why not.

Hey no one here watched 300 movies this month. That WOULD be crazy! :D
AssonFire

Post by AssonFire »

outdoorcats wrote: October 30th, 2020, 4:15 pm
AssonFire wrote: October 30th, 2020, 6:20 am It felt like the film was more focused on being a vehicle for an obnoxious feminist message rather than a story in its own right. They even threw in a black single father for more wokage points. Greedy.
Whoops. I think you said the quiet part out loud.
Hehe. But isn't that the idea behind giving our opinions?
AssonFire

Post by AssonFire »

Thanks for hosting, maxwell. Final list:

63. The Hunt for the House on Cuckoo Lane (2011 / Ross Bradley; David Hinds) 2/10
64. The Signalman (1976 / Lawrence Gordon Clark) 7/10 Kill the Zombies!
Salt (2017 / Rob Savage) 4/10
The Image (1969 / Michael Armstrong) 4/10
The Fall (2019 / Jonathan Glazer) 6/10
65. The Ice House (1978 / Derek Lister) 3/10
The Strange Thing About the Johnsons (2011 / Ari Aster) 5/10
66. Gretel & Hansel (2020 / Oz Perkins) 6/10
Tales of the Unexpected: The Flypaper (1980 / Graham Evans) 6/10
I'd been watching a bunch of TotU episodes since noticing they were getting broadcast on TV. After a bunch of them I got tired of the overall mediocre quality, but I noticed the highest rated IMDb episode was approaching, so I planned to watch it. It turned out they skipped that episode, which piqued my curiosity, so I downloaded it. It's a story set around a small English town in which there have been a series of murders. to say any more would risk spoiling the very spare plot (and brief runtime), and like many TotU episodes, much of the impact rests upon how the plot plays out. suffice it to say it's a very bleak story and it's no surprise that it's no longer screened on daytime TV.
67. Tales from the Crypt: The Switch (1990 / Arnold Schwarzenegger) 6/10
68. Underwater (2020 / William Eubank) 3/10
69. Messe noire (1928 / unknown) 2/10 Decades of Death 1920s
A Visit from the Incubus (2001 / Anna Biller) 3/10
Le nécrophile (2004 / Philippe Barassat)
68. Possessor (2020 / Brandon Cronenberg) 7/10
69. Doctor Sleep (2019 / Mike Flanagan) 8/10

Top viewings of the month:
Messiah of Evil
The League of Gentlemen (series 1)
Doctor Sleep
The Ash Tree
Possessor
The Oregonian
The Signalman
Friday the 13th
Lost Hearts
Jonathan
Spoiler
1. Visions (2015 / Kevin Greutert) 4/10 Decades of Death 2010s
Isla Fisher plays a woman who relocates to a vineyard with her husband after a fatal car crash. She soon starts experiencing fleeting visions of violence, seemingly directed towards her, that no one else can see. The acting isn't that great. The unusual setting is probably the film's most distinguishing feature. It's got an occasional Hitchcockian vibe courtesy of the Hermanesque score and some of the paranoid sequences.
2. Dracula (1931 / Todd Browning) 6/10 Decades of Death / 1930s Kill the Zombies!
Probably the most famous horror movie I'd not seen. It's a film of impressive moments rather than a great work as a whole. I was struck by how Lugosi's voice at times reminded me of the reverse talking in Twin Peaks.
3. The Mummy (1932 / Karl Freund) 5/10 Kill the Zombies!
4. Matriarch (2018 / Scott Vickers) 2/10
A man and his pregnant girlfriend are left stranded in rural Scotland after their car breaks down. Fortunately, they're rescued and given shelter for the night by an elderly farming couple and their two grown sons. If you think, based on these few details, you could predict the way the plot plays out, you'd be right.
7. The Hunt (2020 / Craig Zobel) 6/10 Decades of Death 2020s
The umpteenth spin on the The Most Dangerous Game tale of 'people hunting people' for sport. This time it's done as a black comic satire on the modern American left and right wing's caricatures of each other: SJWs vs. Deplorables.
6. Malatesta's Carnival of Blood (1973 / Christopher Speeth) 3/10 Decades of Death 1970s
Standard early 70s weirdness. A family visit a bleak fairground built atop an underground lair stacked with copious amounts of polythene.
7. Chiller: Toby (1995 / Bob Mahoney) 6/10 Decades of Death 1990s
I seem to be inadvertently watching a lot of films centred around pregnant women here. This one is a creepy, low-key British TV movie. A pregnant woman loses her unborn baby in a car crash. She gets pregnant again but still hasn't gotten over her earlier loss... or he hasn't gotten over her!
8. Radius (2017 / Caroline Labrèche; Steeve Léonard) 4/10
High concept plot suited to socially distanced world. Following a car accident a man learns everyone he comes into a radius of around 10 metres with instantly dies. The film follows him as he tries to discover the cause of this curse and whether it can be removed. In execution it initially reminded me a little of the superior 2005 short film Still Life. It's professionally made but pretty bland. The suspense isn't helped by the fact that large parts of the film take place away from people. Then they cram in a lot of incongruent stuff into the last third.
9. Lost Hearts (1973 / Lawrence Gordon Clark) 7/10
The Ash Tree (1975 / Lawrence Gordon Clark) 8/10
10. Ghost Stories for Christmas: The Stalls of Barchester (2000 / Eleanor Yule) 6/10
Ghost Stories for Christmas: Number 13 (2000 / Pier Wilkie) 6/10
11. Vivarium (2019 / Lorcan Finnegan) 4/10
A young couple (Imogen Poots and Jesse Eisenberg) are taken to view a house in a new development, left stranded there by the estate agent and unable to escape what is soon revealed to be an Escher-like labyrinth of hermetic suburban hell. Such a minimalist plot relies heavily on characters and performances. Poots is fine, but mismatched with Eisenberg; miscast as a gruff alpha type. The production design is the film's most impressive aspect, suitably minimalistic and aseptic, but the plot, essentially a modern update of Woman in the Dunes is often obvious and superficial. The backstory is also underdeveloped, there is very little set-up before the main plot begins, so it's hard to personally invest in the two characters. It's the type of film that you can imagine being profound in the hands of a Bergman or Antonioni 60 years ago, but now, in these hands, it feels a little trite.
12. Three Cases of Murder (1955 / Wendy Toye; David Eady; George More O'Ferrall; Orson Welles) 4/10 Decades of Death 1950s
13. The League of Gentlemen: Welcome to Royston Vasey (1999 / Steve Bendelack) 8/10
The League of Gentlemen: The Road to Royston Vasey (1999 / Steve Bendelack) 7/10
14. The League of Gentlemen: Nightmare in Royston Vasey (1999 / Steve Bendelack) 8/10
The League of Gentlemen: The Beast of Royston Vasey (1999 / Steve Bendelack) 8/10
15. The League of Gentlemen: Love Comes to Royston Vasey (1999 / Steve Bendelack) 8/10
The League of Gentlemen: Escape from Royston Vasey (1999 / Steve Bendelack) 8/10
16. Open Windows (2014 / Nacho Vigalondo) 4/10
Elijah Wood is the stalker/fan of Sasha Grey's movie star, unconvincingly roped into spying on her through his laptop by a mysterious hacker, leading to an increasingly far-fetched series of plot twists taking place around the city over the course of one night. The combination of media, voyeurism and seedy glamour is reminiscent of De Palma. It's all hamstrung, however, by the clunky central gimmick of most of the action taking place through the computer screen.
17. The Night Stalker (1972 / John Llewellyn Moxey) 5/10 Kill the Zombies!
Minor cult classic, The X Files meets Kojak. Well written and acted, but with an underwhelming central mystery.
18. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988 / James Signorelli) 6/10 Kill the Zombies!
Extreme '80s cheese that holds up better than a lot of its type, thanks mainly to a self-aware script ably carried by Cassandra Peterson's wisecracking sex bomb protagonist, like a reincarnated Mae West.
19. The Dunwich Horror (1970 / Daniel Haller) 6/10 Kill the Zombies!
20. Death Line (1972 / Gary Sherman) 4/10 Kill the Zombies!
21. The Stalls of Barchester (1971 / Lawrence Gordon Clark) 5/10
22. The Rental (2020 / Dave Franco) 6/10
23. True Horror: Hellfire Farm (2018 / Tom Kingsley) 6/10
24. A Warning to the Curious (1972 / Lawrence Gordon Clark) 6/10
25. The Sentinel (1977 / Michael Winner) 5/10 Kill the Zombies!
26. MR James: Ghost Writer (2013 / John Das) 6/10
27. Sredni Vashtar (1981 / Andrew Birkin) 4/10
The Treasure of Abbot Thomas (1974 / Lawrence Gordon Clark) 6/10
28. Out of Mind: The Stories of H.P. Lovecraft (1998 / Raymond Saint-Jean) 3/10
29. The Stone Tape (1972 / Peter Sasdy) 4/10 Kill the Zombies!
30. The Tractate Middoth (2013 / Mark Gatiss) 5/10
Stigma (1977 / Lawrence Gordon Clark) 6/10
31. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976 / Charles B. Pierce) 4/10 Kill the Zombies!
32. Mystics in Bali (1981 / H. Tjut Djalil) 5/10 Decades of Death 1980s
33. Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told (1967 / Jack Hill) 5/10 Kill the Zombies! / Decades of Death 1960s
34. Equinox (1970 / Jack Woods; Dennis Muren) 4/10
35. Thir13en Ghosts (2001 / Steve Beck) 2/10 Kill the Zombies!
36. Re-Animator (1985 / Stuart Gordon) 6/10 Kill the Zombies!
37. Communion (1989 / Philippe Mora) 3/10
38. Jonathan (1970 / Hans W. Geißendörfer/) 7/10
Set in a feudal German state where a vampiric class rule over and prey on the land-tilling peasants. A man is sent to the vampires' castle to overthrow them and gain freedom. That's about all there is as far as plot's concerned. I some ways it reminds me of the films Zulawski would go on to make over the next few years, or Greenaway later on: an unstable, decadent aristocracy; sumptuous, painterly compositions in earth tones. But it also sometimes seems amateurish around the edges, the story could've done with more development or clarification.
39. Messiah of Evil (1973 / Willard Huyck; Gloria Katz) 8/10 Kill the Zombies!
A young woman travels to a Californian coastal artist's enclave looking for her missing painter father. She gets involved with a trio of bohemians and learns from one local man about a myth of a dark stranger who lived their 100 years ago, is predicted to return very soon and seems to be linked to several deaths in the area. The explanation surrounding the dark stranger seemed off kilter with the rest of the story, I think it might have worked better if they'd left it more enigmatic. Overall, though, I thought it was great. It's got a dazed, post-hippie comedown mood, part L'Avventura, part slasher.
40. The Brood (1979 / David Cronenberg) 6/10 Kill the Zombies!
41. What We Do in the Shadows (2014 / Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi) 6/10 Kill the Zombies!
Mockumentary following a group of vampires in modern New Zealand. Although I very much liked Waititi's Jojo Rabbit, a lot of the humour here didn't really hit home with me, was a bit too pat. That said, the ones that did work were the highlights...
On vampire's preferences for virgins: "If you were going to eat a sandwich, you would enjoy it more if you knew no one had fucked it."
During a bad-tempered gang encounter between vampires and werewolves: "What are we? Werewolves, not swearwolves."
42. Chiller: Number Six (1995 / Rob Walker) 5/10
43. Final Destination (2000 / James Wong) 5/10 Decades of Death 2000s
44. The Premonition (1976 / Robert Schnitzer) 5/10
A psychotic, possibly psychic mother attempts to kidnap her daughter from her foster family. Good use of drab Mississippi locations add to the mood. Quite unusual for having most of the main characters as women without being an overtly 'women's film'.
45. Soft for Digging (2001 / J. T. Petty) 5/10
An elderly man lives alone in a cabin within a wintry Blair Witch-like forest. One day he witnesses a murder. There's little action during the short runtime - large sections spent on the man walking through the woods - and even less dialogue. In fact, it probably would've worked better without the few words that are spoken, since they're poorly-delivered and explain what would be best left ambiguous. On the other hand, it's quite inventive and well-directed on what is clearly a very small budget. Impressive, considering made when the director was in his early twenties, although he doesn't seem to have gone on to make any notable films since.
46. Dark Shadows (2012 / Tim Burton) 5/10
Johnny Depp is transformed into a vampire several hundred years ago by Eva Green's witch, then buried alive before being unearthed in the early '70s. Like most of Burton's more recent films, it's an overproduced, GCI-heavy spectacle, so any true feeling is obscured. There's some amusing fish-out-of-water comedy, but it feels mostly like a more gothic version of Death Becomes Her.
47. 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016 / Dan Trachtenberg) 6/10 Kill the Zombies!
Good build up, but gets a bit dumb and cliched towards the end.
48. Frontier(s) (2007 / Xavier Gens) 3/10 Kill the Zombies!
49. Nightmare (1981 / Romano Scavolini) 6/10 Kill the Zombies!
50. From Beyond (1986 / Stuart Gordon) 6/10 Kill the Zombies!
51. The Burning (1981 / Tony Maylam) 4/10 Kill the Zombies!
52. Sukkubus - den Teufel im Leib (1989 / Georg Tressler) 4/10
53. Sharknado (2013 / Anthony C. Ferrante) 2/10
54. The Oregonian (2011 / Calvin Reeder) 7/10
A pretty strong Lynch influence here. A woman wakes up injured and disoriented after a car crash on a rural road and goes on a nightmarish trip to make sense of how she got there. Thankfully, the film doesn't ever overtly answer that question, I was concerned that it might end up as a low budget version of Stay. Although there are Lynchian elements (people as menacing, uncommunicative cyphers; rooms as characters), the director maintains enough of his own style, through the unremittingly grungy aesthetic (boondocks setting, discordant guitar score, damaged film negatives, fragmented narrative) to stand alone. He's particularly adept creating an unsettling mood, via jump scares and the implicit terror of staring faces, of inscrutable expressions, whether you expect them or not. The lead actress, Lindsay Pulsipher, carries the film very well.
55. Patrick (1978 / Richard Franklin) 4/10
56. The Bell of Hell (1973 / Claudio Guerín) 6/10
Interesting Spanish horror about a young man released from an asylum who goes onto ultimate revenge on his conspiring family. Confusing as a first-time watch as a lot of details are revealed only gradually. Nice use of locations.
57. Strangler of the Swamp (1946 / Frank Wisbar) 4/10 Decades of Death 1940s
Wisbar's remake of his own '30s film, Ferryman Maria, about a vengeful ferry operator who haunts the area after being wrongfully executed. The story's abbreviated here to less than an hour and consequently feels quite rushed. The steamy swampland setting is generally well rendered, but doesn't match the dreamy expressionism of the original. Nor do the performances, which are a little corny.
58. Vampires (1998 / John Carpenter) 4/10 Kill the Zombies!
59. Friday the 13th (1980 / Sean S. Cunningham) 7/10 Kill the Zombies!
First-time viewing. So much has been parodied and pastiched along the years that there's a feeling of deja vu while watching it (not to suggest it was a wholly original film in itself). I thought there was a bit of a lag around the middle when the killings started and all seemed fairly routine, but it picks up against towards the end, becoming vaguely surreal and leaving me wanting to see the next in the series.
60. The Invisible Man (2020 / Leigh Whannell) 4/10
Although well crafted, it feels a little sterile and lacks the humour of Whannell's earlier Upgrade. Once the cat's out of the bag plot-wise, there are few surprises and you're just left waiting for the inevitable to play out, and at 2 hrs it kind of drags. Worse still is the domestic abuse theme. Elizabeth Moss as the lead, though talented, is unsympathetic. It felt like the film was more focused on being a vehicle for an obnoxious feminist message rather than a story in its own right. They even threw in a black single father for more wokage points. Greedy.
61. Nightbreed (1990 / Clive Barker) 6/10 Kill the Zombies!
62. Host (2020 / Rob Savage) 4/10
Routine found footage film based around a seance conducted through a Zoom conference
adwest

Post by adwest »

Congrats on passing 200, BTW! And we'll see how it shakes out but you are certainly going to place very high this month - higher than me and certainly higher than that challenge slacker Maxwell!

I'd like to leave you with a parting horror rec - too late to fit it in this year but it might fit into another upcoming challenge: Anna and the Apocalypse. I suspect you might enjoy this one and I'll only be embarrassed if you actually already saw it this month and I overlooked that fact. I'm glad you joined us for this challenge!
Thanks for the congrats--I surprised myself. Ask Max--about six months ago I thought I was being nice when I offered him 3 movies a week. But lately I've been watching at least 3 a day and my library books are gathering dust. What has this forum done to me? :lol:

I will definitely put Anna and the Apocalypse on my list for next year. I'm going to go back through this years posts for people's favorites and highly rated films when I make my list next year. There's so much I didn't get a chance to see and I know it will take time but I'm not very patient so we'll see if I can break my 208 record next year.
adwest

Post by adwest »

flavo5000 wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 2:05 am
Torgo wrote: November 1st, 2020, 11:59 pm So THIS IS where you people are hanging around when no <400 countdown is taking place!

Hey no one here watched 300 movies this month. That WOULD be crazy! :D
Ya--200 some is totally normal.
adwest

Post by adwest »

psychotronicbeatnik wrote: November 1st, 2020, 10:31 pm
flavo5000 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 10:21 pm

I hear you - I intended to watch Mad Monster Party as my grand finale but I could barely keep my eyes open through the last two Chaneys - no reflection on the films themselves. :cheers:
I mean--I didn't want Flavo to get a knife to the back from Mighty but I was rooting for 300 just to make Max happy. I have to live with the guy and all the curses that come out when it get that close.

I also intended to stay up and start a movie at midnight that would count for both October Horror and November Noir but I fell asleep. All-nighters are on my Murtaugh List too.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

adwest wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:44 am What has this forum done to me? :lol:
Same thing it did to Max. One of us!!!

greenhorg

Post by greenhorg »

Uh oh. Two modes now into November. Horror Momentum and Horror Detox. Horror Momentum is when you've watched so much damn horror for the October challenge that you've jacked up your dopamine system and can't stop watching movies even though the challenge has ended. The only path forward is Horror Detox... you got to go cold turkey until Thanksgiving (when you can get some hot turkey). Then you've officially beaten the addiction.

I returned all my unwatched DVDs to the library. The time for murder and insanity has ended. It's a new season. Different feel. Gotta watch something autumnal.
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

38. The Man they could not hand, by Nick Grinde (1939) 9/10 #TSZDT#885

What a great surprise. I loved how Karloff handled his character, and the plot as well. Great classic horror !

39. Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, by Brian Clemens (1974) 7,5/10 #TSZDT#549

The monster hunter theme was pretty rare at the time, and this was highly enjoyable...

40. The Lodge, by Severin Fiala & Veronika Franz (2019) 4/10

The starting point of the movie is so ludicrous it undermines everything that comes afterwards.

41. His House, by Remi Weekes (2020) 7,5/10

It's a good idea, to link haunting and survivor's guilt. Plus the subject of immigrants in the UK is well handled, and the actors are good. The film is maybe slighlty too moralizing for its own good, but overall it works well.
The horror ! The horror ! (37)
01. The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Sidney Lanfield (1939) 7/10 #DEATHLIST 9. Death by Animal/Creature #TSZDT#278
02. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, by Bob Clark (1972) 4/10 #BINGO D1 #TSZDT#640
03. Three from hell, by Rob Zombie (2019) 5/10 #DEATHLIST 3. Death by Stabbing
04. The Love Witch, by Anna Biller (2016) 9/10 #DEATHLIST 11. Death by Poisonning
05. The house that dripped blood, by Peter Duffell (1971) 7,5/10 #DEATHLIST 4. Death by Strangulation #TSZDT#576
06. The Legend of Boggy Creek by Charles B. Pierce (1972) 8/10
07. Arachnophobia, by Frank Marshall (1990) 7,5/10 #BINGO C2 #TSZDT#364
08. Absentia, by Mike Flanaghan (2011) 8/10 #BINGO C1
09. Shutter, by Banjong Pisanthanakun & Parkpoom Wongpoom (2004) 7/10 #DEATHLIST 5. Death by Falling #TSZDT#293
10. Resolution, by Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead (2012) 7,5/10 #DEATHLIST 2. Death by Gunshot
11. The Stepfather, by Joseph Ruben (1987) #DEATHLIST 8. Death by Random Makeshift Weapon (a floorboard) #TSZDT#359
12.Color Me Blood Red, by Herschell Gordon Lewis (1965) 7/10 - #BINGO A1
13. Frontière(s), by Xavier Gens (2007) 7,5/10 - #DEATHLIST 6. Death by Fire #TSZDT#581
14. La vampire nue, by Jean Rollin (1970) 5/10 #BINGO B1 (but everything is irrational, in this film, in fact)
15. A Field in England, by Ben Wheatley (2013) 7,5/10
16. Yotsuya kaidan, by Masaki Mori (1956) 7,5/10
17. Tôkaidô Yotsuya kaidan, by Nobuo Nakagawa (1959) 7,5/10 #TSZDT#563
18. Tales from the Crypt, by Freddie Francis (1972) 7,5/10 #DEATHLIST 13. Death by Natural Causes (Heart Attack) #TSZDT#299
19. The Vault of Horror, by Roy Ward Baker (1973) 8/10 #TSZDT#718
20. The Abominable Snowman, by Val Guest (1957) 8/10 #TSZDT#935
21. Stepfather II, by Jeff Burr (1989) 4/10
22. The Little shop of horrors, by Roger Corman (1960) 7/10 #DEATHLIST 10. Death by Machine (Locomotive) #TSZDT#427
23. April Fool's Day, by Fred Walton (1986) 7,5/10 #BINGO A2 #TSZDT#497
24. Frightmare, by Pete Walker (1974) 8,5/10 #TSZDT#525
25. Hangover Square, by John Brahm (1945) 10/10 #TSZDT#491
26. Antebellum, by Gerard Bush & Christopher Renz (2020) 7,5/10
27. Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde, by Roy Ward Baker (1971) 6,5/10 #TSZDT#526
28. La bambola di Satana, by Ferruccio Casapinta (1969) 4/10
29. L'assassino ha riservato nove poltrone, by Giuseppe Bennati (1974) 7/10 #BINGO A4
30. La sorella di Ursula, by Enzo Milioni (1978) 4,5/10
31. Dagon, by Stuart Gordon (2001) 8/10 #BINGO C4 #TSZDT#521
32. Dèmoni 2... l'incubo ritorna, by Lamberto Bava (1986) 7,5/10 #TSZDT#660
33. The Prodigy, by Nicholas McCarthy (2019) 6,5/10
34. The Gorgon, by Terence Fisher (1964) 7/10 #TSZDT#659
35. Train to Busan 2, by Yeon Sang-ho (2020) 4/10
36. Hei tai yang 731 / Men behind the Sun, by Tun Fei Mou (1988) 7,5/10 #DEATHLIST 1. Death by Disease #TSZDT#766
37. Thinner, by Tom Holland (1996) 7/10 #TSZDT#/847
Daviddoes

Post by Daviddoes »

I thought since this has been the busiest challenge of all-time that it would be interesting to take a look back at the previous winners and see where they have landed on the leaderboard for this year.

mightysparks 301 points in the 2012 challenge has still not been matched and thus would've gotten her a first place finish this year as well. After that all previous winners actually would've finished in third place this year:
2011 Cinematamio - 203
2013 mightysparks - 182
2014 Daviddoes - 163
2015 kierkegaardian - 200
2016 kierkegaardian - 172
2017 albajos - 206,
2018 jeroeno – 163
2019 flavo5000 - 199
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Last three for me:

62. Blood Rage [Nightmare at Shadow Woods] (1987, John Grissmer): 6.2 - A slasher about twins (again); one a psychopath ,the other escaped from an asylum he was wrongfully commited to. The slasher action is fun, too bad everything else is extremely poor. So your mileage will vary how much poorness you can tolerate for some amusing action. As inherent to the genre the murders become more prominent once later in the movie, making it more watchable in the later half. Being only 82 minutes long it doesn't over stay its welcome.

63. Al filo del hacha [Edge of the Axe] (1988, José Ramón Larraz): 5.5 - While this slasher is decently directed, the acting is above par for the genre and it has a good creepy looking axe murderer, it suffers from being very badly written. There is no clear relation between the (random) murders in the town and the protagonists of the movie, (well expect for them being characters in a horror so there must be some connection), which means the murders have no dramatic weight and the "normal" scenes feel like filler. Even more it ends with twist ending, that's so out of nowhere that's it unclear of it's the truth or a scheme by the real killer.

64. Doom Asylum (1987, Richard Friedman): 6.0 - A bunch of teenagers trespass at an abandoned asylum where.. of course.. a murdering psychopath still waits for his death lover. Doom Asylum is a movie that's so bad and clichéd it borders on self-parody. Luckily it clearly know this and doesn't take itself too serious. So it is still or even more thanks to that it's an amusing watch. It features a cute young Kristin Davis and the gorgeous, funny Patty Mullen.

Fear in the time of corona
1. Brain Damage (1988, Frank Henenlotter): 6.5
#TSZDT #315
#BC2 DoD: 1980s
#BC3 Deathlist: 9. Death by Animal/Creature

2. Frankenhooker (1990, Frank Henenlotter): 5.8
#TSZDT #717
#BC2 DoD: 1990s
#BC3 Deathlist: 10. Death by Machine

3. The Hills Have Eyes (1977, Wes Craven) rewatch: 7.5 > 7.2
#TSZDT #165
#BC2 DoD: 1970s
#BC3 Deathlist: 6. Death by Fire

4. The Hills Have Eyes Part II (1984, Wes Craven): 5.2
#BC3 Deathlist: 8. Death by Random Makeshift Weapon
#BC4 A2

5. The Hills Have Eyes (2006, Alexandre Aja) rewatch: 8.0 > 7.2
#TSZDT #346
#BC2 DoD: 2000s
#BC3 Deathlist: 2. Death by Gunshot

6. The Hills Have Eyes II (2007, Martin Weisz) rewatch: 6.5 > 6.5
#BC3 Deathlist: 5. Death by Falling
7. Swamp Thing (1982, Wes Craven) : 4.5
#TSZDT #869
8. House of Usher [The Fall of the House of Usher] (1960, Roger Corman): 7.0 -
#TSZDT #207
#BC2 DoD: 1960s

9. Pit and the Pendulum (1961, Roger Corman): 7.0
#TSZDT #168
10. Tales of Terror (1962, Roger Corman): 6.8
#TSZDT #511
#BC3 Deathlist 7. Death by Being Buried Alive

11. The Raven (1963,Roger Corman) rewatch: 6.0 > 7.0
#TSZDT #650
12. The Haunted Palace (1963. Roger Corman): 7.0
#TSZDT #471
13. The Tomb of Ligeia (1964, Roger Corman): 7.0
#TSZDT #320
14. Tower of London (1962, Roger Corman): 6.8
#BC3 Deathlist: 11. Death by Poisoning
15. The Babysitter (2017, McG): 6.5
#BC3 Deathlist: 3. Death by Stabbing
#BC4 A1[/color]
16. The Babysitter: Killer Queen (2020. McG): 5.8
#BC2 DoD: 2020s
17. El bar (2017, Álex de la Iglesia): 5.5
#BC3 Deathlist: 1.
18. Candyman (1992, Bernard Rose): 7.2
#TSZDT #98
19. Virus: L'inferno dei morti viventi [Virus/Hell of the Living Dead/Zombie Creeping Flesh/Zombi 4] (1980, Bruno Mattei & Claudio Fragasso): 5.2
#BC4 D1
20. Zombi 3 [Zombie Flesh Eaters 2] (1988, Lucio Fulci, Claudio Fragasso & Bruno Mattei): 6.2 -
#BC4 D4
21. After Death (Oltre la morte) [After Death/Zombie Flesh Eaters 3/Zombie 4: After Death] (1989, Claudio Fragasso): 5.8
22. Rats - Notte di terrore [Rats: Night of Terror] (1984, Claudio Fragasso & Bruno Mattei): 4.2
23. Orlacs Hände [The Hands of Orlac] (1924, Robert Wiene): 7.2
#BC2 DoD: 1920s
24. Bumperkleef [Tailgate] (2019, Lodewijk Crijns): 5.5
25. I lunghi capelli della morte [The Long Hair of Death] (1964, Antonio Margheriti): 7.2
26. La morte negli occhi del gatto [Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye] (1973, Antonio Margheriti): 7.0
27. Vampire Hookers (1978, Cirio H. Santiago): 4.5
28. The City of the Dead (1960, John Llewellyn Moxey): 6.8
#TSZDT #370
#BC3 Deathlist: 4. Death by Strangulation

29. Village of the Damned (1960, Wolf Rilla): 7.2 -
#TSZDT #140
30. The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964, Michael Carreras): 6.0
31. Fanatic [Die! Die! My Darling] (1965, Silvio Narizzano): 6.8
#TSZDT #770
32. Blood Feast (1963, Herschell Gordon Lewis): 3.0
#TSZDT #252
33. Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964, Herschell Gordon Lewis): 5.2
#TSZDT #414
34. Berserk! (1967, Jim O'Connolly): 4.5 -
35. Torture Garden (1967, Freddie Francis): 6.0
#TSZDT #955
36. Count Yorga, Vampire (1970, Bob Kelljan): 6.8
#TSZDT #692
37. The Return of Count Yorga (1971, Bob Kelljan): 7.0
38.The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971, Robert Fuest) rewatch: 7.0 > 7.2
#TSZDT #173
39. Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972, Robert Fuest): 6.5
#TSZDT #674
40. Pánico en el Transiberiano [Horror Express] (1972, Eugenio Martín): 7.2
#TSZDT #316
41. The House That Cried Murder [The Bride/The Last House on Massacre Street] (1973, Jean-Marie Pélissié): 3.8
42. La casa sperduta nel parco [The House on the Edge of the Park] (1980, Ruggero Deodato): 5.8
43. Sleepy Hollow (1999, Tim Burton) rewatch: 6.0 > 7.5
#TSZDT #248
44. La corta notte delle bambole di vetro [Short Night of Glass Dolls] (1971, Aldo Lado): 7.2
#TSZDT #901
45. L'ultimo treno della notte [Night Train Murders/Last Stop on the Night Train] (1975, Aldo Lado): 7.2
46. Theater of Blood (1973, Douglas Hickox): 6.5
#TSZDT #259
#BC3 Deathlist: 12. Death by Drowning

47. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974, Tobe Hooper) rewatch: 8.5 > 8.8
#TSZDT #6
48. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986, Tobe Hooper): 5.2
#TSZDT #351
49. Eaten Alive (1977, Tobe Hooper): 3.8
#TSZDT #829
50. Il profumo della signora in nero [The Perfume of the Lady in Black] (1974, Francesco Barilli): 6.5
#TSZDT #941
51. The Driller Killer (1979, Abel Ferrara): 7.0
#TSZDT #518
52. The Burning (1981, Tony Maylam): 6.5
#TSZDT #348
53. Madhouse [And When She Was Bad/There Was a Little Girl] (1981, Ovidio G. Assonitis): 6.2
54. Blood Tide (1982, Richard Jefferies): 6.5
55. Mil gritos tiene la noche [Pieces] (1982, Juan Piquer Simón): 7.0
#TSZDT #362
56. Microwave Massacre (1983, Wayne Berwick): 5.8
57. The Stuff (1985, Larry Cohen): 6.0
#TSZDT #450
58. Fright Night (1985, Tom Holland):7.5
#TSZDT #156
#BC4 Bingo: B3

59. Dèmoni [Demons] (1985, Lamberto Bava): 8.2 -
#TSZDT #210
60. Vamp (1986, Richard Wenk): 5.5
#TSZDT #620
61. Night of the Creeps (1986, Fred Dekker): 6.5
#TSZDT #235
Bonus Challenges progress
#BC2 DoD;
1920s
1930s
1940s
1950s
1960s
1970s
1980s
1990s
2000s
2010s
2020s

BC#3: The Deathlist
  1. Death by Disease
  2. Death by Gunshot
  3. Death by Stabbing
  4. Death by Strangulation
  5. Death by Falling
  6. Death by Fire
  7. Death by Being Buried Alive
  8. Death by Random Makeshift Weapon
  9. Death by Animal/Creature
  10. Death by Machine
  11. Death by Poisoning
  12. Death by Drowning
  13. Death by Natural Causes
#BC4 Bingo:
A. Slashers B. Vampires C. Monsters D. Zombies
1. Human Behaving Irrationally A1 B1 C1 D1
2. Creepy Basement/Cellar A2 B2 C2 D2
3. Falling Down While Running A3 B3 C3 D3
4. Phone Won't Call A4 B4 C4 D4
adwest

Post by adwest »

blocho wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:55 am
adwest wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:44 am What has this forum done to me? :lol:
Same thing it did to Max. One of us!!!

And now I understand that having just watched Freaks for the first time! :lol:
psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

adwest wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:44 am

Thanks for the congrats--I surprised myself. Ask Max--about six months ago I thought I was being nice when I offered him 3 movies a week. But lately I've been watching at least 3 a day and my library books are gathering dust. What has this forum done to me? :lol:

I will definitely put Anna and the Apocalypse on my list for next year. I'm going to go back through this years posts for people's favorites and highly rated films when I make my list next year. There's so much I didn't get a chance to see and I know it will take time but I'm not very patient so we'll see if I can break my 208 record next year.
Anna and the Apocalypse is also a Christmas movie - just in case you find yourself challenge less in December! I hear you about library books gathering dust. I manage a library and check out far more books than I actually find time to read most months (I think I only finished two in October - not counting the 200 or so I read with my son). That's why I'm planning to take the next couple of months off from challenges - catch up on my reading and my odd non-challenge viewings.