Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Animation Challenge (Official, September 2020)

Who do you think posted the best screenshots during the challenge?

Poll ended at October 5th, 2020, 7:30 pm

ChrisReynolds
No votes
cinephage
No votes
frbrown
No votes
hurluberlu
No votes
jal90
No votes
jdidaco
50%
Mochard
No votes
morrison-dylan-fan
No votes
OldAle1
No votes
shugs
17%
sol
33%

Total votes: 6

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

my kid could draw that

Asterix & Achmed

1. Astérix le Gaulois / Asterix the Gaul (Ray Goossens, 1967)
2. Astérix et Cléopâtre / Asterix and Cleopatra (René Goscinny/Albert Uderzo, 1968)
3. Les 12 travaux d'Astérix / The Twelve Tasks of Asterix (René Goscinny/Henri Gruel/Albert Uderzo, 1976)
4. Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed / The Adventures of Prince Achmed (Lotte Reiniger, 1926) (re-watch)
Ralph Bakshi, American Precedent-Setter, Sorta

5. Fritz the Cat (1972) (re-watch)
6. Heavy Traffic (1973)
7. Wizards (1977) (re-watch)
8. The Lord of the Rings (1978)

Here's what I wrote about Bakshi in a thread a couple of years ago:

He was kind of a name when I was growing up and I remember seeing posters of the films, and probably reading about it in geeky places like Starlog - Americans of a certain age will remember - and for many years I always felt good seeing his name or an ad or a shot from one of his films; he was the nly "adult" animator visible on the American scene making moving in the 70s-80s, and I was a comic book & fantasy geek too so stuff like Fire and Ice, Wizards and his LOTR film were right up my alley.

Except they really weren't and they mostly suck. I guess I like F&I the most because of it's designs and it's reasonably well-directed, but even that isn't much beyond passable. I still remember how much I hated Cool World back in 92...

And I wrote some more in reply to Onderhond early in this thread. And now having seen and re-seen some more I can say...

Meh. The guy was doing something different, sure - he really was the only guy doing adult-oriented animation in the USA in the 70s-80s, at least the only one who was doing it in films that got major theatrical distribution. So he deserves credit for plowing this lonely road, it must have been difficult - and he stopped making films after the disaster that was Cool World in 1992 when he was only in his 40s; I guess he's spent his time painting since then. But his films weren't big hits - some, like Fritz and LOTR, were definitely successful, but they weren't monsters, and there just wasn't a big enough market for this kind of stuff in the USA either to give his career enough legs to keep him going, or to generate many newer animators to follow in his footsteps. And in 1989 The Little Mermaid came along, rejuvenated Disney, and we all know the rest. Adult animation continues to be a real rarity - almost a fool's game in this country (in the cinema - TV is a different matter to some extent).

Bakshi's films divide into two basic categories "street" films about generally working-class people (or anthropomorphic animal-people) trying to get by, fucking, doing drugs, and maybe occasionally drawing or playing music; and fantasies of the heroic-epic type. Cool World is an exception, sort of, if I'm remembering correctly - but was clearly modeled on the success of Roger Rabbit - and I haven't seen Hey Good Lookin' and probably won't bother this month - someday, for completion's sake, maybe. I can't say I like one category more or less than the other - I think he's equally suited, or un-suited as the case may be, to both basic genre-types. His main problem to my mind is that his characters are so often irritating and uninteresting, and they often seem to communicate his own obvious arrogance and ego (watch most interviews with him and you'll see what I mean). I always feel like I'm subtly being told I'm not cool enough when I'm watching a Bakshi film, because I don't think smoking dope or fucking every woman available or whatever is just cool all by itself. Maybe he's just a poor storyteller, and doesn't give his characters anything to do - or shows them doing it in ways that don't make sense or don't engender any interest in me. Maybe he's a beatnik who never grew up.

Fritz I'd have to say on this re-watch is definitely the best of the bunch. It's got a certain verve to it, great music (most of his contemporary-set films have pretty cool music), and it's not rotoscoped - it's traditional animation, perhaps primitive at times but having a cartoony feel as opposed to the odd mishmash of live-action-tracing that characterizes a lot of the later films. I love the dingy backgrounds, the feel of it is closer to the New York I first saw in 1982 than most live-action films of the 70s, and the longueurs of the story don't seem to matter much. Also I like Robert Crumb's art a lot, and while I suspect Bakshi doesn't get the particular cynical-romantic feel of Crumb right (been a long time since I've actually read any early Crumb), he does get the look down pretty well.

Heavy Traffic has a bit of an autobiographical text to it - the main character is a cartoonist in a low-rent New York neighborhood and is half-Jewish - but goes off in some surreal directions and deals a lot with race (he ends up going out with a black woman) and violence (there are mob elements throughout); it also has several live-action inserts and like Fritz uses real New York backgrounds, sometimes drawn-over and sometimes as photos. This is the part of Bakshi's style that usually doesn't work for me - this mixing of "real" backgrounds and animated foregrounds - though it's mostly OK in Fritz. Here it all just felt like a mishmash to me; to be fair I watched this fairly tired and I do feel like it could improve on reflection and another viewing - someday. Maybe.

Wizards just sucked, pretty much. The main problem for me - and I suspect a lot of people won't have this issue - is that the characters all talk like 70s Brooklyn residents, while the film is supposed to take place millions of years into a post-apocalyptic future, a sort of science-fantasy world. The dialogue just takes me right out of the story, which would be OK if it were meant to be a satire or comic, but it feels more like an attempt at an epic and it fails on every level, including the fact that the "quest" to destroy the Evil Wizard doesn't really get underway until about halfway through the 80-minute film. The Good Wizard - brother of the Evil Wizard and thousands of years old - sounds like Columbo and the fact that it all comes down to bad guys imitating Nazis is just lame. I will say that this is interesting for fans of fantasy in American comics - one of the artists who worked on it is Mike Ploog, who created his own comic series for Marvel Comics called "Weirdworld" right around this time - it only comprised two stories over four issues of a couple of different comics, but the art and characters designs have a striking similarity to parts of Wizards. Wendy and Richard Pini's independent comic "Elfquest" which began publication around the same time also has some visual similarities. Also, this marks Mark Hamill's film debut doing a couple of brief voice parts. The back story's more interesting than the film...

The Lord of the Rings is probably up to a 3rd viewing - don't ask me why. Maybe the last now. I don't think I saw it when it came out - I was either actually reading the novel for the first time then, or had just read it. The film did get quite wide distribution so I'd imagine it played here, so I'm not sure why I didn't see it then - but I did see it sometime in the 80s or 90s, and another time around, I dunno, 2005-7 or so. Glutton for punishment. Here we have the main characters all fully rotoscoped, so their movements and such look more "realistic", but to me that almost never actually means they look good - realistic fighting or dancing or singing with simplistic animated features just doesn't work for me - give me all-cartoony or all-live-action please. And the "background" characters are often rendered in a technique called "solarizing" (I learned that from the making-of doc on the dvd) where they take live action footage and sort of "burn" it. It doesn't necessarily look awful on it's own though it wouldn't be a preference for me - but when you combine it with the rotoscoped main characters, it just looks really weird and unattractive.

On the other hand, the voice work is pretty solid - acting has been a strong point in every LOTR or Hobbit adaptation I've seen (or heard - the 1981 BBC radio version of LOTR is quite stunning) and this is no exception. John Hurt seems like a weird choice for Aragorn until you hear him for a couple of minutes; Peter Woodthorpe voices Gollum for the first time (he repeated in the BBC radio version) and he gives Andy Serkis a run for his money. Michael Scholes' Sam is the only real disappointment - he takes the "yes sir, right with you sir, I'll lay down me life for you sir" business a mite too far - and the way he's animated with the missing teeth and ugly mug reminds me too much of Shane MacGowan. The backgrounds are fairly well done and the pacing is, well, decent I guess given that they're cramming 50 pages of material into every 5 minutes or so. And as mediocre as it all ends up being, I still wish Bakshi had managed to make the sequel - the Rankin/Bass TV version of The Return of the King is just an embarrassment, and that's coming from somebody who actually likes R/B most of the time, including their Hobbit.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Spoiler
1. Now and Then, Here and There (1999) episodes 1-3
2. Now and Then, Here and There (1999) episodes 4-6
3. Now and Then, Here and There (1999) episodes 7-9
4. Now and Then, Here and There (1999) episodes 10-12
5. Now and Then, Here and There (1999) episode 13
Simoun (2006) episodes 1-2
6. Simoun (2006) episodes 3-5
7. Simoun (2006) episodes 6-8
8. Simoun (2006) episodes 9-11
9. Simoun (2006) episodes 12-14
10. Simoun (2006) episodes 15-17
11. Simoun (2006) episodes 18-20
12. Simoun (2006) episodes 21-23
13. Simoun (2006) episodes 24-26
14. Shiki (2010) episodes 1-3
15. Shiki (2010) episodes 4-6
16. Shiki (2010) episodes 7-9
17. Shiki (2010) episodes 10-12
wasabi

Post by wasabi »

10. Gwen, le livre de sable (1985)
This surrealism animation is amazing.
Spoiler
1. Panda kopanda(1972)
2. Paranoia Agent EP1 - EP3 (2004)
3.Paranoia Agent EP4 - EP6 (2004)
4.Paranoia Agent EP7 - EP9 (2004)
5.Paranoia Agent EP10 - EP12 (2004)
6.(1) Paranoia Agent EP13(25min)
6.(2) Don Kihot (1961)(10min)
6.(3) Hoshi no koe (2002) (25min)
7. The Grinch
8. Fantasia (1940)
9. Fantastic Planet (1973)
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Re-Animator
1. When Marnie Was There (2014)
2. Whisper of the Heart (1995)
3. Tales from Earthsea (2006)
4. Misteriya-Buff (1969) FIRST CHECK!
5. The Snow Queen (1957)
6. A Whisker Away (2020)
7. The Wind Rises (2013)
8. Pom Poko (1994)

9. Gandahar (1987)

As per his earlier Time Masters and Fantastic Planet, this benefits from Laloux's penchant for offbeat and alluring animated environments. The character designs are excellent too, particularly a group of mutants with mouths on their kneecaps, hands on their chin and so forth. Alas, the two main characters look pretty ordinary by comparison and have pretty much no personality. I didn't quite get my head around all of the time travel stuff either.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

OldAle1 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 11:22 pm
my kid could draw that

Asterix & Achmed

2. Astérix et Cléopâtre / Asterix and Cleopatra (René Goscinny/Albert Uderzo, 1968)
3. Les 12 travaux d'Astérix / The Twelve Tasks of Asterix (René Goscinny/Henri Gruel/Albert Uderzo, 1976)
4. Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed / The Adventures of Prince Achmed (Lotte Reiniger, 1926) (re-watch)

6. Heavy Traffic (1973)

Here's what I wrote about Bakshi in a thread a couple of years ago:

He was kind of a name when I was growing up and I remember seeing posters of the films, and probably reading about it in geeky places like Starlog - Americans of a certain age will remember - and for many years I always felt good seeing his name or an ad or a shot from one of his films; he was the nly "adult" animator visible on the American scene making moving in the 70s-80s, and I was a comic book & fantasy geek too so stuff like Fire and Ice, Wizards and his LOTR film were right up my alley.

Except they really weren't and they mostly suck. I guess I like F&I the most because of it's designs and it's reasonably well-directed, but even that isn't much beyond passable. I still remember how much I hated Cool World back in 92...

And I wrote some more in reply to Onderhond early in this thread. And now having seen and re-seen some more I can say...

Meh. The guy was doing something different, sure - he really was the only guy doing adult-oriented animation in the USA in the 70s-80s, at least the only one who was doing it in films that got major theatrical distribution. So he deserves credit for plowing this lonely road, it must have been difficult - and he stopped making films after the disaster that was Cool World in 1992 when he was only in his 40s; I guess he's spent his time painting since then. But his films weren't big hits - some, like Fritz and LOTR, were definitely successful, but they weren't monsters, and there just wasn't a big enough market for this kind of stuff in the USA either to give his career enough legs to keep him going, or to generate many newer animators to follow in his footsteps. And in 1989 The Little Mermaid came along, rejuvenated Disney, and we all know the rest. Adult animation continues to be a real rarity - almost a fool's game in this country (in the cinema - TV is a different matter to some extent).

Bakshi's films divide into two basic categories "street" films about generally working-class people (or anthropomorphic animal-people) trying to get by, fucking, doing drugs, and maybe occasionally drawing or playing music; and fantasies of the heroic-epic type. Cool World is an exception, sort of, if I'm remembering correctly - but was clearly modeled on the success of Roger Rabbit - and I haven't seen Hey Good Lookin' and probably won't bother this month - someday, for completion's sake, maybe. I can't say I like one category more or less than the other - I think he's equally suited, or un-suited as the case may be, to both basic genre-types. His main problem to my mind is that his characters are so often irritating and uninteresting, and they often seem to communicate his own obvious arrogance and ego (watch most interviews with him and you'll see what I mean). I always feel like I'm subtly being told I'm not cool enough when I'm watching a Bakshi film, because I don't think smoking dope or fucking every woman available or whatever is just cool all by itself. Maybe he's just a poor storyteller, and doesn't give his characters anything to do - or shows them doing it in ways that don't make sense or don't engender any interest in me. Maybe he's a beatnik who never grew up.

Fritz I'd have to say on this re-watch is definitely the best of the bunch. It's got a certain verve to it, great music (most of his contemporary-set films have pretty cool music), and it's not rotoscoped - it's traditional animation, perhaps primitive at times but having a cartoony feel as opposed to the odd mishmash of live-action-tracing that characterizes a lot of the later films. I love the dingy backgrounds, the feel of it is closer to the New York I first saw in 1982 than most live-action films of the 70s, and the longueurs of the story don't seem to matter much. Also I like Robert Crumb's art a lot, and while I suspect Bakshi doesn't get the particular cynical-romantic feel of Crumb right (been a long time since I've actually read any early Crumb), he does get the look down pretty well.

Heavy Traffic has a bit of an autobiographical text to it - the main character is a cartoonist in a low-rent New York neighborhood and is half-Jewish - but goes off in some surreal directions and deals a lot with race (he ends up going out with a black woman) and violence (there are mob elements throughout); it also has several live-action inserts and like Fritz uses real New York backgrounds, sometimes drawn-over and sometimes as photos. This is the part of Bakshi's style that usually doesn't work for me - this mixing of "real" backgrounds and animated foregrounds - though it's mostly OK in Fritz. Here it all just felt like a mishmash to me; to be fair I watched this fairly tired and I do feel like it could improve on reflection and another viewing - someday. Maybe.

Wizards just sucked, pretty much. The main problem for me - and I suspect a lot of people won't have this issue - is that the characters all talk like 70s Brooklyn residents, while the film is supposed to take place millions of years into a post-apocalyptic future, a sort of science-fantasy world. The dialogue just takes me right out of the story, which would be OK if it were meant to be a satire or comic, but it feels more like an attempt at an epic and it fails on every level, including the fact that the "quest" to destroy the Evil Wizard doesn't really get underway until about halfway through the 80-minute film. The Good Wizard - brother of the Evil Wizard and thousands of years old - sounds like Columbo and the fact that it all comes down to bad guys imitating Nazis is just lame. I will say that this is interesting for fans of fantasy in American comics - one of the artists who worked on it is Mike Ploog, who created his own comic series for Marvel Comics called "Weirdworld" right around this time - it only comprised two stories over four issues of a couple of different comics, but the art and characters designs have a striking similarity to parts of Wizards. Wendy and Richard Pini's independent comic "Elfquest" which began publication around the same time also has some visual similarities. Also, this marks Mark Hamill's film debut doing a couple of brief voice parts. The back story's more interesting than the film...

The Lord of the Rings is probably up to a 3rd viewing - don't ask me why. Maybe the last now. I don't think I saw it when it came out - I was either actually reading the novel for the first time then, or had just read it. The film did get quite wide distribution so I'd imagine it played here, so I'm not sure why I didn't see it then - but I did see it sometime in the 80s or 90s, and another time around, I dunno, 2005-7 or so. Glutton for punishment. Here we have the main characters all fully rotoscoped, so their movements and such look more "realistic", but to me that almost never actually means they look good - realistic fighting or dancing or singing with simplistic animated features just doesn't work for me - give me all-cartoony or all-live-action please. And the "background" characters are often rendered in a technique called "solarizing" (I learned that from the making-of doc on the dvd) where they take live action footage and sort of "burn" it. It doesn't necessarily look awful on it's own though it wouldn't be a preference for me - but when you combine it with the rotoscoped main characters, it just looks really weird and unattractive.

On the other hand, the voice work is pretty solid - acting has been a strong point in every LOTR or Hobbit adaptation I've seen (or heard - the 1981 BBC radio version of LOTR is quite stunning) and this is no exception. John Hurt seems like a weird choice for Aragorn until you hear him for a couple of minutes; Peter Woodthorpe voices Gollum for the first time (he repeated in the BBC radio version) and he gives Andy Serkis a run for his money. Michael Scholes' Sam is the only real disappointment - he takes the "yes sir, right with you sir, I'll lay down me life for you sir" business a mite too far - and the way he's animated with the missing teeth and ugly mug reminds me too much of Shane MacGowan. The backgrounds are fairly well done and the pacing is, well, decent I guess given that they're cramming 50 pages of material into every 5 minutes or so. And as mediocre as it all ends up being, I still wish Bakshi had managed to make the sequel - the Rankin/Bass TV version of The Return of the King is just an embarrassment, and that's coming from somebody who actually likes R/B most of the time, including their Hobbit.
Good write-up! I think with Bakshi, I feel like he has always been a better animation director than writer. His stories are often sort of rambling and shapeless. but his animation style is where his biggest influence really is and what has left the biggest mark on other animators. And yea, I've seen interviews with him, and he seems like a pretty annoying guy to be around. You might be better served looking at his filmography and seeing what he was involved with on the animation side or that he just directed that he didn't write. Those may fare better.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

179a. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: Lobster Claus is Coming to Town (2017)
179b. Festival of Family Classics: Puss-in-Boots (1972)
179c. Pixie Hollow Games (2011)
The Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs special was mildly amusing. Reminded me of stuff like Phineas & Ferb. Puss-in-Boots is your pretty standard more traditionally animated Rankin/Bass production. Pixie Hollow Games is a straightforward Tinker Bell-spinoff short (a spin-off of a spin-off?).

180. Those Who Walk in Darkness (2003)
Hey, it's a terrible looking Flash animation starring Lil' Kim as a superhuman cop... Yea, this isn't good.

181-182a. Lego Star Wars: Droid Tales E1-5 (2015)
I always thought the Lego Star Wars was some of the more entertaining and amusing of the Lego animated movies and these are no exception. They're peppered with little in-jokes that make it particularly amusing for long-time fans of Star Wars.

182b. Korgoth of Barbaria (2006)
Hyper-violent psychotic barbarian is tricked into stealing a treasure from a wizard. Definitely not the norm from Gendy Tarkovsky. It's pretty funny at times but the joke gets a little old by the end.

183. Aloha, Scooby-Doo! (2005)
Has possibly one of the least threatening monsters I've seen in a Scooby Doo movie...

184-187. Himouto! Umaru-chan R E1-12 (2017)
This is the second season to the series about a seemingly perfect girl admired by all who at home is a lazy, whiny brat. It's entertaining although gets a little repetitive and ends without much closure to the various subplots.

188. Mega Man: Upon a Star (1993)
So this is supposed to be an educational film for Americans on Japanese culture I think? Amidst Wiley leaping out of the video game and wreaking havoc in Tokyo we learn all about Japanese New Years, driving on the left side of the road, after school study classes, etc. Also the major plot holes are a constant distraction making this one strictly kid-fare.

189. Belle's Magical World (1998)
Middling anthology movie featuring stories that take place before the end of the original movie while the Beast is still a huge dick to everyone.

190. The Pharaoh's Belt (1993)
Bizarre surrealist paper cutout stop motion animation that revels in '50s Americana iconography while making little narrative sense. It feels at times like a Lichenstein painting come to life which might sound appealing to some. Also there is a ninja and samurai that pop up occasionally to fight for a little while...
Love for Cel
1. Gosuto Suipa Mikami - Gokuraku Daisuken! a.k.a. Ghost Sweeper Mikami: The Movie (1994)
2. Uchû shô e yôkoso a.k.a. Welcome to the Space Show (2010)
3. Lego DC Super Hero Girls: Brain Drain (2017)
4. Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic (2010)
5. The Cosmic Eye (1986)
6. Gekijô ban Bleach: Fade to Black - Kimi no na o yobu a.k.a. Bleach: Fade to Black (2008)
7. Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (2018)
8. Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers (1987)
9a. Little Witch Petit E-19 (2016)
9b. Plastic Neesan E1-12 (2011)
9c. Green Green OVA (2002)
10. Sarah and the Squirrel (1992)
11. Superman: Red Son (2020)
12a. Stille Nacht I-IV (1988-1993)
12b. This Unnameable Little Broom (1985)
12c. The Comb (1991)
12d. In Absentia (2000)
13a. De Artificiali Perspectiva a.k.a. Anamorphosis (1991)
13b. Maska (2010)
13c. Unmistaken Hands: Ex Voto F.H. (2013)
13d. Pigeon Toady's Guide to Your New Baby (2016)
13e. The Phantom Stranger (2015)
14. Disco ormene a.k.a. Disco Worms (2008)
15. G.I.Joe: Spy Troops the Movie (2003)
16. Digimon: The Movie (2000)
17. Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles (2018)
18. Ali Baba & the Gold Raiders (2002)
19. Storks (2016)
20. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete (2009)
21. Scooby-Doo! Pirates Ahoy! (2006)
22. SCOOBY-DOO! Winter Wonderdog (2002)
23-24. Merutiransâ a.k.a. Melty Lancer OVA E1-6 (1999)
25. Dragons: Fire & Ice (2004)
26. Dead Fury (2008)
27. Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie (2017)
28. Tom and Jerry: The Lost Dragon (2014)
29. Kimi no suizô o tabetai a.k.a. I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (2018)
30-32a. Aggretsuko Season 3 E1-10 (2020)
32b. On the Way to a Smile - Episode Denzel: Final Fantasy VII (2009)
33. Treasure Island (1973)
34. Monster High: Electrified (2017)
35. Five Star Stories (1989)
36. Mid-Century Modern Animation Vol. 1 (It's Only The Beginning/The Magic Fluke/Big Tim/Destination Earth/Swab Your Choppers/The Sailor & the Seagull/TV Spots, Drive-In Ads)
37. Scooby-Doo! Shaggy's Showdown (2017)
38. Naisho no Tsubomi OVA E1-3 (2008)
39. Murasaki Shikibu: Genji monogatari a.k.a. Tale of Genji (1987)
40. Night Flight: Takes Off to Animation Vol. 1 (1984)
41. Godkiller: Walk Among Us (2010)
42. The Grinch (2018)
43a. Karlson vernulsya a.k.a. Karlson Returns (1970)
43b. Okhota a.k.a. The Hunt (1988)
43c. Korova a.k.a. The Cow (1989)
43d. Gargarin (1994)
43e. Puteshestvie muravya a.k.a. Travels of an Ant (1983)
44. Koushoku ichidai otoko a.k.a. The Sensualist (1991)
45. The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (2000)
46. Lego Scooby-Doo! Blowout Beach Bash (2017)
47. 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure (2002)
48. Pia Carrot e Yokoso!! a.k.a. Welcome to Pia Carrot!! OVA E1-3(1997)
49-50. Yokohama kaidashi kikô a.k.a. Yokohama Shopping Log Vol. 1-2/Quiet Country Cafe 1-2 (1998/2002)
51. Abominable (2019)
52. Dwae-ji-ui wang a.k.a. The King of Pigs (2011)
53. My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea (2016)
54. Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost (1999)
55. Tinker Bell (2008)
56-57. Shinigami no barâdo a.k.a. Momo the Girl God of Death E1-6 (2006)
58. Arashi no yoru ni a.k.a. Stormy Night (2005)
59. Konyok-gorbunok a.k.a. The Magic Pony (1975)
60. Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase (2001)
61. Cheatin' (2013)
62a. Madballs: Gross Jokes (1987)
62b. Joe Pera Talks You to Sleep (2016)
62c. Goodnight Mr. Foot (2012)
62d. Puppy (2017)
62e. Dash Shaw Short Films (Baroness, Cosplayers, New School, Bottomless Belly Button, Bodyworld)
63. The Canterbury Tales (1998)
64. La Casa Lobo a.k.a. The Wolf House (2018)
65-68. Watchmen Motion Comic E1-12 (2008)
69-73a. Arakawa Under the Bridge X Bridge E1-13 (2010)
73b. Midori Days Sound Drama E1-3 (2004)
73c. Tanabota (2012)
73d. Collapse Animism (2016)
73e. Baa-cha no Kingyo a.k.a. A Grandma's Goldfish (2012)
74. Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon 3D (2005)
75. Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no Fusion!! Gokuu to Vegeta a.k.a. Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn (1995)
76. Dragon Ball Z: Ryûken Bakuhatsu!! Gokû ga Yaraneba Dare ga Yaru a.k.a. Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon (1995)
77. Monster High: Great Scarrier Reef (2016)
78. Growing Up with Winnie the Pooh: Love & Friendship (2006)
79. Dengeki oshioki musume Gôtaman: Gôtaman tanjôhen a.k.a. Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman (1994)
80. Constantine City of Demons: The Movie (2018)
81. Once Upon a Girl.... (1976)
82. Tower (2016)
83. Egon & Dönci (2007)
84. Gekijô ban Naruto: Shippûden - Kizuna a.k.a. Naruto Shippûden The Movie: Bonds (2008)
85. Brother Bear 2 (2006)
86. Shounen Keniya a.k.a. Kenya Boy (1984)
87. Shihaisha no Tasogare a.k.a. Twilight of the Dark Master (1997)
88. Ethel & Ernest (2016)
89. Théâtre de Monsieur & Madame Kabal (1967)
90. Resident Evil: Vendetta (2017)
91. Bionicle: The Legend Reborn (2009)
92. Hana to Arisu satsujin jiken a.k.a. The Case of Hana & Alice (2015)
93. The Tale of Tillie's Dragon (1995)
94-95. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira E1-4 (2011)
96. Wave Twisters (2001)
97-99. Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated S2E17-26 (2013)
100. Hetjur Valhallar - Þór a.k.a. Thor: Legend of the Magical Hammer (2011)
101-102. Shishunki Bishoujo Gattai Robo Z-MIND E1-6(1999)
103. Doragon bôru Z: Super Saiyajin da Son Gokû a.k.a. DBZ: Lord Slug (1991)
104a. Ya zhdu ptentsa a.k.a. I Am Waiting for the Baby Chick (1966)
104b. Operavox: The Barber of Seville (1995)
104c. Vovka v Tridevyatom tsarstve a.k.a. Vovka in a Far Far Away Kingdom (1965)
105. Walking with Dinosaurs 3D (2013)
106. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (2004)
107. Dragons II: The Metal Ages (2005)
108. Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017)
109. éX-Driver the Movie (2002)
110. Scooby-Doo & Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2018)
111. Shuranosuke Zanmaken: Shikamamon no Otoko a.k.a. Sword for Truth (1990)
112. Seoul Station (2016)
113a. Krokodil Gena a.k.a. Gena the Crocodile (1969)
113b. Cheburashka (1971)
113c. Shapoklyak - The Gibus (1974)
113d. Cheburashka idyot v shkolu. a.k.a. Cheburashka Goes To School (1983)
114. The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar (2015)
115-118a. Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 a.k.a. Japan Sinks 2020 (2020)
118b. Itadaki! Seieki a.k.a. Vampire Vixen (2014)
118c. Ekusu doraibâ: Nina ando rei denjâ zôn a.k.a. Ex-Driver: Nina and Rei Danger Zone (2002)
119. Gokiburi-tachi no tasogare a.k.a. Twilight of the Cockroaches (1989)
120. Scooby-Doo! WrestleMania Mystery (2014)
121a. Thunder (1982)
121b. Secrets of Life (1971)
121c. Flatlife (2004)
121d. Vormittagsspuk a.k.a. Ghosts Before Breakfast (1928)
122e. Filmstudie (1926)
122f. A La Mode (1959)
122g. Science Friction (1959)
121h. What, Who, How (1957)
122. Onward (2020)
123. Jordan Belson shorts: Allures (1961), Chakra (1972), Music of the Spheres (1977), World (1970), Phenomena (1968), Re-entry (1964), Meditation (1972), Mysterious Journey (1997)
124a. Murim ilgeomui sasaenghwal a.k.a. Coffee Samurai (2009)
124b. Hoshizora Kiseki (2006)
125. Chico & Rita (2010)
126. A Troll in Central Park (1994)
127. Visions of Frank (2007)
128-129. FLCL Progressive E1-6 (2018)
130. Marudukku sukuranburu: Asshuku a.k.a. Mardock Scramble: First Compression (2010)
131. Marudukku sukuranburu: Nenshou a.k.a. Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion (2011)
132. Marudukku sukuranburu: Haiki a.k.a. Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust (2012)
133. My Little Pony: Equestria Girls - Rainbow Rocks (2014)
134. The Hunchback of Notre Dame II (2002)
135. An Oversimplification of Her Beauty (2012)
136-140. The Adventures of Batman: Complete Series (1968-1969)
141. Heart String Marionette (2012)
142. Batman Unlimited: Mech vs. Mutants (2016)
143. We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story (1993)
144. Jimmy Murakami: Non-Alien (2010)
145. Kimi to, nami ni noretara a.k.a. Ride Your Wave (2019)
146. The Star (2017)
147. Gnomeo & Juliet (2011)
148. Peter Rabbit (2018)
149-152. D-Frag! E1-12 (2014)
153. The Fairly OddParents: Abra Catastrophe! (2003)
154. Kureopatora a.k.a. Cleopatra: Queen of Sex (1970)
155. Sen'ya ichiya monogatari a.k.a. 1001 Arabian Nights (1969)
156. LEGO HERO Factory: Rise of the Rookies (2010)
157. Phantom Boy (2015)
158. Lego DC Super Heroes: Justice League - Attack of the Legion of Doom! (2015)
159. Cheap a.k.a. Dirty Duck (1974)
160. Virus Tropical (2017)
161a. The Master: A Lego Ninjago Short (2016)
161b. Lego Atlantis (2010)
161c. My Little Pony Equestria Girls Rainbow Rocks Short Films (2010)
161d. Dragons Toymation Short Film (2004)
161e. Batman: New Times (2005)
162a. Why Man Creates (1968)
162b. Las plumas del múcaro a.k.a. The Owl's Feathers (1989)
162c. Oz: The Tin Woodman's Dream (1967)
163. Kôkaku kidôtai: Stand alone complex - The laughing man (2005)
164a. Saquu Gogei Iga a.k.a. On a Spring Day - A Trail of Tears Story (2006)
164b. Bill Plympton Shorts: The Loneliest Stoplight (2015), The Cow Who Wanted to Be a Hamburger (2010), Santa, the Fascist Years (2008), The Flying House (2011), The Gastronomic Shark (2015)
164c. NFB of Canada Shorts: Juke-Bar (1990), Getting Started (1979), Get a Job(1985), Blackfly (1991)
165. Delgo (2008)
166. Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions (2016)
167. Terminator Salvation: The Machinima Series (2009)
168. The Humanoid (1986)
169. Peter Pan 2: Return to Never Land (2002)
170. Nakitai watashi wa neko wo kaburu a.k.a. A Whisker Away (2019)
171. Violet Evergarden Gaiden: Eien to Jidou Shuki Ningyou a.k.a. Violet Evergarden I: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll (2019)
172-173. Kekkô Kamen OVA 1 & 2 (1991)
174. Justice League Dark: Apokolips War (2020)
175. Here Comes Peter Cottontail (1971)
176. The Easter Bunny Is Comin' to Town (1977)
177a. The Butter Battle Book (1989)
177b. Dr. Seuss on the Loose (1973)
177c. Halloween Is Grinch Night (1977)
178. The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019)
vortexsurfer

Post by vortexsurfer »

26. Lego DC Batman: Family Matters (Matt Peters, 2019) - 7/10
27. Hulk Vs. (Sam Liu & Frank Paur, 2009) - 5/10
28. Planet Hulk (Sam Liu, 2010) - 7/10
29. Thor: Tales of Asgard (Sam Liu, 2011) - 6/10

Spoiler
1. Onward (Dan Scanlon, 2020) - 5/10
2. The Incredibles (Brad Bird, 2004) - 6/10
3. The Incredibles 2 (Brad Bird, 2018) - 6/10
4. Shark Tale (Bibo Bergeron, Vicky Jenson & Rob Letterman, 2004) - 3/10
5. Flushed Away (David Bowers & Sam Fell, 2006) - 5/10
6. The Croods (Kirk DeMicco & Chris Sanders, 2013) - 6/10
7. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Hayao Miyazaki, 1984) - 9/10
8. Castle in the Sky (Hayao Miyazaki, 1986) - 7/10
9. My Neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki, 1988) - 8/10
10. Kiki's Delivery Service (Hayao Miyazaki, 1989) - 8/10
11. Fantasia (1940) - 7/10
12. The Wild (Steve 'Spaz' Williams, 2006) - 5/10
13. The Black Cauldron (Ted Berman & Richard Rich, 1985) - 7/10
14. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (James Algar, Clyde Geronimi & Jack Kinney, 1949) - 7/10
15. I Married a Strange Person! (Bill Plympton, 1997) - 8/10
16. The Prince of Egypt (Brenda Chapman, Steve Hickner & Simon Wells, 1998) - 6/10
17. The Road to El Dorado (Bibo Bergeron & Don Paul, 2000) - 6/10
18. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (Kelly Asbury & Lorna Cook, 2002) - 6/10
19. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (Patrick Gilmore & Tim Johnson, 2003) - 4/10
20. Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Rob Minkoff, 2014) - 7/10
21. Mutant Aliens (Bill Plympton, 2001) - 8/10
22. Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island (Hiroshi Aoyama, Kazumi Fukushima & Jim Stenstrum, 1998) - 7/10
23. April and the Extraordinary World (Christian Desmares & Franck Ekinci, 2015) - 8/10

24a. Gravity Falls: Tourist Trapped (2012) - 8/10
24b. Gravity Falls: The Legend of the Gobblewonker (2012) - 8/10
24c. Gravity Falls: Headhunters (2012) - 8/10
25a. Aggretsuko: A Day in the Life of Retsuko (2018) - 7/10
25b. Aggretsuko: A Good, Hard-working Girl (2018) - 7/10
25c. Aggretsuko: Short-timer (2018) - 7/10
25d. Aggretsuko: Walking Down the Aisle (2018) - 7/10
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

flavo5000 wrote: September 20th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Good write-up! I think with Bakshi, I feel like he has always been a better animation director than writer. His stories are often sort of rambling and shapeless. but his animation style is where his biggest influence really is and what has left the biggest mark on other animators. And yea, I've seen interviews with him, and he seems like a pretty annoying guy to be around. You might be better served looking at his filmography and seeing what he was involved with on the animation side or that he just directed that he didn't write. Those may fare better.
Thanks. I think it's obvious I'm not entirely keen on his animation or direction either - but it's definitely a stronger element than the writing, usually. I also have rather mixed feelings, or maybe I should say I'm undecided, on some of his use of voice work; what I mentioned re: Wizards in terms of the character taking me out of the film applies to some of the other early films to one degree or another. Apparently he got some of the performances through improvisation, which is certainly interesting in animation - and obviously shows him going for performance/direction before the animation process - but it just comes off as very weird often, the "realism" of the voice acting contrasting markedly withe the unreality of the character designs, backgrounds, action. Not an issue in LOTR and maybe works pretty well in Fritz but I'm rather ambivalent about the rest.

He's certainly an important figure, but I don't know what his real influence is - that's not any mark against him per se, rather a sign that the mainstream of American culture just hasn't really accepted animation as something for adults, or rather, something that can deal with adult themes. Obviously a lot of the audience for the MCU and other comic-based live action films is adult, and obviously now the vast majority of comics sell to adults - but they are the same comics, really, that were marketed to kids as far as 90 years ago, escapist/superhero/action/adventure, with real-world stories and actions only a miniscule part of the market. It's very difficult to imagine an American equivalent of, say, Only Yesterday, Grave of the Fireflies, Satoshi Kon's work, etc; it's no wonder that very few serious adult-oriented comics ever get adapted to the big screen, and when they do they're usually live-action (i.e Ghost World). Bakshi was a pioneer, but in retrospect also a fluke.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

my kid could draw that

Asterix & Achmed

6. Heavy Traffic (1973)
9. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Gary Trousdale/Kirk Wise, 1996)

After disliking the 3 previous Disney feature animations (Aladdin, The Lion KIng, Pocahontas), I gave up on bothering with the studio's new films - or at least gave up being a completist; I did see Tarzan new because I'm a Tarzan/ERB fan and I've seen a few of the others since because they looked interesting. But Disney lost it's specialness for me in the early 90s and at this point I don't think it will ever come back, and catching up to some of the films I "missed" on video hasn't been helping.

This one is - as I suspected it would be - particularly terrible. Oh the animation is all right - I will always like Disney's polished, very fluid, often highly detailed style; Tony Jay does some good voice work as the evil Frollo, sounding so much like George Sanders at times that I wondered if there was a resurrection involved here; and the storytelling is...OK. But like Pocahontas this is taking a tragic story - albeit a made-up one, and so certainly not offensive in the way the earlier film is - and turning it into a typically positive, let's-all-love-each-other cartoon where the bad guy gets his and everybody's happy at the end. Not having read the book I can't really get into the details, but I certainly know the story a bit from previous film versions, and even if I didn't I suspect I'd feel something is really askew here - it just doesn't feel like it's heading towards the kind of ending it gets, the darkness feels to great to be overcome in this simplistic fashion. And of course, like all Disney films starting with Aladdin, the dialogue and jokes and songs all feel wholly contemporary, and there isn't an ounce of feeling for the period. Not that I would expect characters to be speaking in early-Renaissance French or anything; after all Victor Hugo's novel was written in the contemporary language of the 19th century so a little updating is to be expected; but Disney habitually goes too far and places you firmly in the here and now - where such a story of course doesn't make any sense. It's a schism in their storytelling technique that I just can't tolerate, which is probably why the later films that I have liked at all (i.e. Zootopia) haven't been period pieces.

None of the songs are particularly memorable - even the ballad "Out There" is just meh - I'm usually a fan of the Disney ballads but this one I wasn't humming even 5 minutes later in my head. The voice work apart from Jay is all right but nothing special; and the gargoyles are just fucking stupid. Once again, we have to stick to the formula, don't we? Fuck this shit.

10. Flåklypa Grand Prix / Pinchcliffe Grand Prix (Ivo Caprino, 1975)

Or, a tribute to the power of the IMDb lists. Have to admit I probably got around to this sooner rather than later because it was on a whole bunch of lists - while I'm hardly an animation expert or anything, I have seen a good chunk of the most-famous and most-listed features, but for whatever reason never got to this one until now. So are all the IMDb voters right...?

Well...not really. It's not bad, in fact I rather liked it - I love stop motion animation as a rule if it's done at all well, and Caprino was surely one of the masters. Cinematically this is pretty brilliant, with really great use of perspective and several sizes of models contributing to make it feel pretty "real" at times despite it obviously being all animation; yes, there are plenty of newer films that do this better digitally, but Caprino and his small team really manage as well as anybody from the last century at creating the illusion of reality. Nick Park is the only person I can think of in the same ballpark.

Unfortunately the story just didn't do a lot for me at all, and it's a pretty repetitive and long-winded film for what it is; the fact that we don't even get to the big race until the last 15 minutes or so and there's very little real "action" before it is a problem. There's only so much patience I have for the cutesy animals and all the little Rube Goldberg-esque inventions that we see. It's ultimately a film to marvel at how it was made, to salute for it's craftsmanship, but not - for me - one to enjoy a great deal beyond that.

11. Samâ uôzu / Summer Wars (Mamoru Hosoda, 2009)

I saw Hosoda's previous Toki o kakeru shôjo in late 2018 and really loved it; I thought of and mentioned both the Ghibli filmmakers and Makoto Shinkai in comparison but I'm sure there are others just as close - the peculiar way in which multiple stories/plots mix and relate - both realistic and fantastic plots, usually, and the way really strong emotions are always at play seem to be something endemic to a lot of anime, and it's probably what I love the most about it. This involves a young man (high school I think) who gets a "job" helping out the girl he has a crush on, which turns out to involve going to her family's old palatial manor-house in the country and pretending to be her boyfriend, so as to impress her grandmother on her 90th birthday. BUT THEN there's also this online virtual world that everybody's into, and it's rather strongly connected to the real world in many respects, AND there's the theme of the old family's decline, the virtues of some kind of feudal "manhood" as compared with the world today, AND there's a baseball game that several people in the large family are obsessed with AND there's a family black-sheep who comes back ostensibly at random but who is connected to a couple of the other plotlines. Plus potential world-wide apocalypse, don't ya know.

If this sounds like it's all too much, well, it kind of is in a film that runs a bit under 2 hours - but somehow, it all does end up working in the end, even if the nuts and bolts do show too much and there are moments that feel rushed, and too many characters introduced and abandoned. 3 hours of narrative stuffed into 114 minutes I'd say, but I guess I'd rather have too much than not enough - in a way this is kind of the opposite of Flåklypa Grand Prix in that regard. The animation of the virtual-world segments is pretty awesome; the rest, fine but not on the level of the very best. All in all a lot of fun even if it's overstuffed, and the mystical-sentimental stuff is a little overdone towards the end.

12. American Pop (Ralph Bakshi, 1981)

The last Bakshi film I'm gonna watch for this month - I still have one film left to see, and I have little memory of Cool World, but based on my feelings of his work so far, I think I'm not going to bother with those soon. This was better than average for him, in fact probably the second-best of his films after Fritz, and maybe has the best use of his animation technique overall. It's also, like several of his other films, more than a little autobiographical, another story of American Jews starting out in a squalid New York environment, and trying to make it big. What's different this time is that it's a multi-generational story, starting out with a cantor in Russia who moves his family to the US before WWI due to the pogroms, and then progressing through five generations and climaxing with the last, a would-be songwriter making his living dealing drugs in L.A., singing Bob Seger's "Night Moves" in the best scene in the movie and best ending Bakhi's accomplished. The movie is filled with various kinds of pop music and the choices are generally solid if sometimes a little stranger (after "Night Moves" the character morphs into something like an Elvis clone - this several years after Elvis died). It's another film that tries to pack a whole lot into a standard running time and thus we end up with loads of characters that aren't developed much, and there's a certain saminess to the unremitting drive they all seem to have for success - at any cost. And they're mostly kind of assholes, so it's a bit tiring in many ways. Still, the music and animation are compelling enough for me to say this is at least marginally "good".

This was also my first exposure to Bakshi actually - not that I saw it new or anything, but for the past 39 years I've always remembered the Siskel & Ebert review of the film, which sounded fascinating at the time but which of course I didn't get to see. And thanks to the magic of the internet, I can re-visit what my 15-year-old self saw in early 1981 that made him want to see this film - and remember wanting to see it for almost 4 decades

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

OldAle1 wrote: September 20th, 2020, 5:16 pm
flavo5000 wrote: September 20th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Thanks. I think it's obvious I'm not entirely keen on his animation or direction either - but it's definitely a stronger element than the writing, usually. I also have rather mixed feelings, or maybe I should say I'm undecided, on some of his use of voice work; what I mentioned re: Wizards in terms of the character taking me out of the film applies to some of the other early films to one degree or another. Apparently he got some of the performances through improvisation, which is certainly interesting in animation - and obviously shows him going for performance/direction before the animation process - but it just comes off as very weird often, the "realism" of the voice acting contrasting markedly withe the unreality of the character designs, backgrounds, action. Not an issue in LOTR and maybe works pretty well in Fritz but I'm rather ambivalent about the rest.

He's certainly an important figure, but I don't know what his real influence is - that's not any mark against him per se, rather a sign that the mainstream of American culture just hasn't really accepted animation as something for adults, or rather, something that can deal with adult themes. Obviously a lot of the audience for the MCU and other comic-based live action films is adult, and obviously now the vast majority of comics sell to adults - but they are the same comics, really, that were marketed to kids as far as 90 years ago, escapist/superhero/action/adventure, with real-world stories and actions only a miniscule part of the market. It's very difficult to imagine an American equivalent of, say, Only Yesterday, Grave of the Fireflies, Satoshi Kon's work, etc; it's no wonder that very few serious adult-oriented comics ever get adapted to the big screen, and when they do they're usually live-action (i.e Ghost World). Bakshi was a pioneer, but in retrospect also a fluke.
Oddly I think his biggest influence has been on modern children's animation. His New Adventures of Mighty Mouse was extremely influential on other animators and also gave John Kricfalusi a big boost that leveraged him getting his own show Ren & Stimpy which I'd argue might be the single most influential animated series since the Simpsons. Everything from Spongebob to Phineas & Ferb to Adult Swim owes a debt to Bakshi in that regard when he created Mighty Mouse and showed that you could have a fun, whiz bang show for kids that also had subtle jokes and elements for adults, which Ren & Stimpy would push to its weird extreme.

Plus Bakshi also wrote and directed most of the older Spider-man animated series without which we wouldn't have some choice memes. :banana:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

13. 2.5* - Prince Nezha's Triumph Against Dragon King [Nezha Nao Hai] by Shuchen Wang, Jingda Xu, Ding Xian Yan (1979)

Animated film based on a famed Chinese folk hero. Just last year a new CG animation was made about the same mythological figure. Both films tell a different story, so there's very little overlap apart from the main character. Not that it matters much, 40 years is a lifetime, especially in the world of animation, so there's really no point in comparing these films. In this version Nezha takes on the five Dragon Kings. There's a very short origin story, quickly followed by a pretty action-packed adventure. For a film that's only 65 minutes long, there's quite a bit of plot to go through, so expect a fast-paced (maybe even rushed) film. The animation is pretty basic, luckily the art style is rather beautiful and kept my eyes glued to the screen. Very colorful, with typical Chinese designs, giving this film the necessary flair. The dub is decent, the soundtrack a bit loud and overbearing. Not a bad film, but a little too cheap/old to be truly impressive.

celf-exploration
00. 2.5* - Lupin III: Burning Memory - Tokyo Crisis [Rupan Sansei: Honô no Kioku Tokyo Crisis] by Toshiya Shinohara (1998)
01. 1.0* - Fritz the Cat by Ralph Bakshi (1972)
02. 3.0* - Lupin III: Dead or Alive [Rupan Sansei: Dead or Alive] by Monkey Punch, Jun Kawagoe (1996)
03. 2.5* - Bio Hunter [Baio Hantâ] by Yûzô Satô (1995)
04. 3.0* - The Congress by Ari Folman (2013)
05. 2.0* - éX-Driver the Movie by Akira Nishimori (2002)
06. 3.5* - A Whisker Awa y[Nakitai Watashi wa Neko wo Kaburu] by Jun'ichi Satô, Tomotaka Shibayama (2020)
07. 1.5* - Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron by Kelly Asbury, Lorna Cook (2002)
08. 1.0* - The Prince of Egypt by Brenda Chapman, Steve Hickner, Simon Wel (1998)
09. 3.0* - Lupin III: The Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure [Rupan Sansei: Harimao no Zaiho Wo Ee!!] by Osamu Dezaki (1995)
10. 2.5* - City Hunter: Death of the Vicious Criminal [City Hunter Special: Kinkyû Namachûkei!?] by Masaharu Okuwaki (1999)
11. 1.5* - Asterix and Cleopatra [Astérix et Cléopâtre] by René Goscinny, Albert Uderzo (1968)
12. 2.0* - The Secret of NIMH by Don Bluth (1982)
psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik »

49-58. Shorter works {602 m. total}
a. Robotech: The Masters, Episodes 37-60 (1985) FTV 7/10 {576 min.}
b. The Flintstones: The Monster From the Tar Pits (1960) 7/10 {26 m.}

Ani Me
1.Toy Story 4 (2019 / Josh Cooley) FTV 8+/10 {100 m.}
2. Kung Fu Panda (2008 / Mark Osborne, John Stevenson) FTV 5/10 {92 m.}
3. Up (2009 / Pete Docter, Bob Peterson) FTV 8/10 {96 m.}
4. A kaito; aka: Kite (1998 / Yasuomi Umetsu) FTV 7/10 {47 m.}
5. Big Hero 6 (2014 / Don Hall, Chris Williams) FTV 8+/10 {102 m.}
6. Nocturna (2007 / Adria Garcia, Victor Maldonado) FTV 8/10 {80 m.}
7. The Addams Family (2019 / Greg Tiernan, Conrad Vernon) FTV 8-/10 {86 m. }
8. Wooju heukgisa: aka; Captain of Cosmos (1979 / Jong-hui Park) FTV 4+/10 {80 m.}
9. Bulsajo roboteu Pinikseu-King; aka: Defenders of Space (1984 / Su-yong Jeong) FTV 5/10 {67 m.}
10. Micro teukgongdae Daiyateuron 5; aka: Space Transformer (1985 / Su-yong Jeong) FTV 4+/10 {63 m.}
11. Super Titan 15; aka: Wonder of Frontier (1983 / Seung-cheol Park) FTV 4+/10 {66 m.}
12. Space Thunder Kids (1991 / Elton Reins) FTV 4+/10 {82 m.}
13. Uribyeol Ilho-wa Eollukso; aka: The Satellite Girl and Milk Cow (2014 / Hyeong-yoon Jang) FTV 8/10 {81 m.}
14. a-c. Animated Shorts {61 min. total}
a. A Coffee Vending Machine and Its Sword (2007) FTV 8/10 {30 m.}
b. It’s the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown! (1974) FTV 7/10 {25 m.}
c. Feast (2014) FTV 8/10 {6 m.}
15. The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017 / Elton Reins) FTV 5/10 {82 m.}
16. Lego DC Super Heroes: Justice League – Attack of the Legion of Doom! (2015 / Rick Morales) FTV 7/10 {77 min. }
17. DC Super Hero Girls: Hero of the Year (2016 / Cecilia Aranovich) FTV 7+/10 {76 min. }
18. Sero hiki no Goshu; aka: Gauche the Cellist (1982 / Isao Takahata) FTV 8+/10 {62 m.}
19. Monster House (2006 / Gil Kenan) FTV 7/10 {91 m.}
20. Space Ninja: The Animated Movie; aka: Cyborg Assassin: Legend of the Space Ninja (2014 / Ed Glaser) FTV 4+/10 {67 m.}
21. Despicable Me (2010 / Pierre Coffin, Chris Renaud) FTV 4/10 {95 m.}
22. Minions (2015 / Pierre Coffin, Kyle Balda) FTV 4/10 {91 m.}
23-37. Robotech: The Macross Saga, Episodes 1-36 (1985) FTV 7+/10 {900 min. total}
38. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996 / Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise) FTV 7/10 {91 m.}
39. Zootopia (2016 / Byron Howard, Rich Moore, Jared Bush) FTV 8/10 {108 m.}
40. Sherlock Gnomes (2018 / John Stevenson) FTV 5/10 {86 m.}
41. Ferdinand (2017 / Carlos Saldanha) FTV 7/10 {108 m.}
42. Welcome to Monster High (2016 / Stephen Donnelly, Olly Reid, Jun Falkenstein) FTV 7/10 {73 m.}
43. Monster High: Electrified (2017 / Augusta Zourelidi, Jun Falkenstein) FTV 5+/10 {71 m.}
44. Lego DC Super Hero Girls: Brain Drain (2017 / Todd Grimes) FTV 7/10 {75 m.}
45. Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (2018 / Aaron Horvath, Peter Rida Michail) 7/10 {84 m.}
46. Barbie: Spy Squad (2016 / Michael Goguen, Conrad Helten) FTV 6/10 {75 m.}
47. Monster High: Boo York, Boo York (2015 / William Lau) FTV 7+/10 {71 m.}
48. Yôkai Watch: Tanjô no himitsuda nyan; aka: Yo-kai Watch Movie: It's the Secret of Birth, Meow! (2014 / Shigeharu Takahashi, Shinji Ushiro, Mark Risley) FTV 6+/10 {97 m.}

a. Robotech: The Masters, Episodes 37-60 (1985) FTV 7/10 {576 min.}

mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Spoiler
18. Shiki (2010) episodes 13-15
19. Shiki (2010) episodes 16-18
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

mjf314 wrote: September 21st, 2020, 1:43 am
Spoiler
Make sure you watch the two Shiki specials. I thought one of those was actually one of the best episodes in the series.
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

06. Psiconautas, los niños olvidados, by Pedro Rivero & Alberto Vázquez (2015) 8/10

Very dark and poetic, somewhere between allegory and a sad sci-fi ballad...

07. Kyûketsuki hantâ D, by Toyoo Ashida (1985) 8/10

I enjoyed this film a lot. I'm feeling it had an influence on Castlevania and other things, but couldn't find actual support to my feeling...
Spoiler
01.a. Franz Kafka, by Piotr Dumala (1992) 5/10 - 16 minutes
01.b. Dojoji, by Kihachiro Kawamoto (1976) 9/10 - 19 minutes
01.c. Repete, by Michaela Pavlátová (1995) 6/10 - 8 minutes
01.d. Atama-yama, by Koji Yamamura (2002) 7,5/10 - 10 minutes
01.e. Le chapeau, by Michèle Cournoyer (1999) 8/10 - 6 minutes

02. Genius Party (2007) 7/10

03. Beauty Water, by Kyung-hun Cho (2020) 8/10

04.a. Great (Isambard Kingdom Brunel), by Bob Godfrey (1975) 7/10 - 30 minutes
04.b. Seiltänzer, by Raimund Krumme (1987) 6,5/10 - 10 minutes
04.c. Le chateau de sable, by Co Hoedeman - 13 minutes
04.d. A, by Jan Lenica (1965) 6/10 - 10 minutes

05. Genius Party Beyond (2008) 8/10
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

8. Tarzan (1999, Buck/Lima) 7
9. The Prince of Egypt (1998, Chapman/Hickner/Wells) 5
10. The Fox and the Hound (1981, Berman/Rich/Stevens/Hand/Reitherman) 6
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

191. Loving Vincent (2017)
The most remarkable thing about this film is how is recreates Van Gogh's unique post-impressionist art style via oil painting-based animation. The storyline itself is decent, taking a Citizen Kane-esque post-mortem investigation structure carried out by a postman's son sent to deliver Van Gogh's final letter to his brother. Based on accounts of Van Gogh's final days by some he speaks to, he begins to suspect Van Gogh's death may be more than just a suicide. Honestly the film's decision to stick mostly to Van Gogh's later life is a little bit of detriment. I feel like we don't really get much meaningful insight into Van Gogh's artwork itself. Regardless it's still a fairly engaging film for the art alone.

192a. Zhuravlinye perya a.k.a. Crane's Feathers (1977)
192b. La grande migration (1998)
192c. Tsaplya i zhuravl a.k.a. The Heron and the Crane (1974)
192d. Seraya sheyka a.k.a. Little Gray Neck (1948)
192e. Krylya, nogi i khvosty a.k.a. Wings, Legs & Tails (1986)
192f. Plastilinovaya vorona a.k.a. Clay Crow (1981)
I decided to take a group of bird-themed Russian animation shorts (there seems to be a lot of these for some reason...). None of these really blew me away but none of them were bad either. I probably appreciated Zhuravlinye perya the most though. I can always get behind a stop-motion adaptation of The Crane's Wife folk tale.

193-194. Gensô jodan Elicia OVA 1-4 (1993)
This 4-part OVA is a pirate-themed fantasy anime and is generally a pretty decent watch. We don't get very many pirate anime, most likely because of the One Piece juggernaut, but the idea of a bunch of rogues traveling on quests and getting into adventure and shenanigans is one that adapts well to the anime aesthetic.

195. Mia et le Migou a.k.a. Mia & The Magoo (2008)
A young girl sets out to rescue her father from a cave-in at a construction site with the aid of a strange forest-dwelling creature. The hand-drawn animation and art style suits this charming story pretty well. The narrative is a little unfocused in places, putting too much emphasis on random supporting characters and losing the main story thread at times. Also the English dub's use of Wallace Shawn as the Magoo was a little distracting. Shawn has such a distinctive voice and the Magoo's weird annoying mannerisms magnifying how obnoxious it is occasionally. Still it's a decent family movie but GKids has definitely released better.

196. Path of Blood (2013)
This was a pretty interesting violent grindhouse samurai flick using cardboard cut-out animation (like South Park). The animation style feels a little gimmicky but still works although some of the more intense drama the film goes for in the latter half ends up falling a little flat because of it.

197. Team Hot Wheels: The Origin of Awesome! (2014)
This was like a totally lame-tacular feature-length Hot Wheels with super cool dialogue to let you know how awesome every frame of animation is. :down:
Love for Cel
1. Gosuto Suipa Mikami - Gokuraku Daisuken! a.k.a. Ghost Sweeper Mikami: The Movie (1994)
5. The Cosmic Eye (1986)
6. Gekijô ban Bleach: Fade to Black - Kimi no na o yobu a.k.a. Bleach: Fade to Black (2008)
12c. The Comb (1991)
12d. In Absentia (2000)
13b. Maska (2010)
19. Storks (2016)
26. Dead Fury (2008)
36. Mid-Century Modern Animation Vol. 1 (It's Only The Beginning/The Magic Fluke/Big Tim/Destination Earth/Swab Your Choppers/The Sailor & the Seagull/TV Spots, Drive-In Ads)
42. The Grinch (2018)
43d. Gargarin (1994)
49-50. Yokohama kaidashi kikô a.k.a. Yokohama Shopping Log Vol. 1-2/Quiet Country Cafe 1-2 (1998/2002)
51. Abominable (2019)
55. Tinker Bell (2008)
61. Cheatin' (2013)
62d. Puppy (2017)
62e. Dash Shaw Short Films (Baroness, Cosplayers, New School, Bottomless Belly Button, Bodyworld)
73c. Tanabota (2012)
75. Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no Fusion!! Gokuu to Vegeta a.k.a. Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn (1995)
76. Dragon Ball Z: Ryûken Bakuhatsu!! Gokû ga Yaraneba Dare ga Yaru a.k.a. Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon (1995)
79. Dengeki oshioki musume Gôtaman: Gôtaman tanjôhen a.k.a. Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman (1994)
82. Tower (2016)
83. Egon & Dönci (2007)
84. Gekijô ban Naruto: Shippûden - Kizuna a.k.a. Naruto Shippûden The Movie: Bonds (2008)
96. Wave Twisters (2001)
104c. Vovka v Tridevyatom tsarstve a.k.a. Vovka in a Far Far Away Kingdom (1965)
113b. Cheburashka (1971)
118c. Ekusu doraibâ: Nina ando rei denjâ zôn a.k.a. Ex-Driver: Nina and Rei Danger Zone (2002)
121a. Thunder (1982)
121c. Flatlife (2004)
122e. Filmstudie (1926)
122f. A La Mode (1959)
122. Onward (2020)
123. Jordan Belson shorts: Allures (1961), Chakra (1972), Music of the Spheres (1977), World (1970), Phenomena (1968), Re-entry (1964), Meditation (1972), Mysterious Journey (1997)
125. Chico & Rita (2010)
130. Marudukku sukuranburu: Asshuku a.k.a. Mardock Scramble: First Compression (2010)
131. Marudukku sukuranburu: Nenshou a.k.a. Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion (2011)
132. Marudukku sukuranburu: Haiki a.k.a. Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust (2012)
146. The Star (2017)
148. Peter Rabbit (2018)
157. Phantom Boy (2015)
158. Lego DC Super Heroes: Justice League - Attack of the Legion of Doom! (2015)
164b. Bill Plympton Shorts: The Loneliest Stoplight (2015), The Cow Who Wanted to Be a Hamburger (2010), Santa, the Fascist Years (2008), The Flying House (2011), The Gastronomic Shark (2015)
164c. NFB of Canada Shorts: Juke-Bar (1990), Getting Started (1979), Get a Job(1985), Blackfly (1991)
165. Delgo (2008)
168. The Humanoid (1986)
171. Violet Evergarden Gaiden: Eien to Jidou Shuki Ningyou a.k.a. Violet Evergarden I: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll (2019)
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

:sweat: 3 weeks in and 10 films into the challenge, and I have finally watched my first English language film. :o I can't think of a single other non-Country/Region Challenge where it has taken me that long to put on something in my own native language - not even Conquer the World.

Another fun fact: this is a British film, so I have still seen zero American animated films so far. :unsure:

Re-Animator
5. The Snow Queen (1957)
6. A Whisker Away (2020)
7. The Wind Rises (2013)
8. Pom Poko (1994)
9. Gandahar (1987)

10. The BFG (1989)

While much of the animation feels pretty basic with generally unmoving backdrops and simple-looking humans, there are some stunning images too here with all the dream-inducement and crazy landscapes that the BFG initially leaps through. In fact, the first ten minutes work the best here, focused on the young girl's fear, awe and wonderment at the creature outside her window and where she has been taken. Dahl's humour isn't very funny though.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

59. Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017 / Kelly Asbury) FTV 7/10 {90 m.}
60. Hirune=hime: Shiranai watashi no monogatari; aka: Napping Princess (2017 / Kenji Kamiyama) 7+/10 {111 m.}
61. Hercules (1997 / Ron Clements, John Musker) FTV 7+/10 {93 m.}
62. Moana (2016 / Ron Clements, John Musker, Don Hall) FTV 8+/10 {107 m.}
63. Brave (2012 / Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman, Steve Purcell) FTV 8/10 {93 m.}
64. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018 / Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman) 9/10 {107 m.}

Ani Me
8. Wooju heukgisa: aka; Captain of Cosmos (1979 / Jong-hui Park) FTV 4+/10 {80 m.}
9. Bulsajo roboteu Pinikseu-King; aka: Defenders of Space (1984 / Su-yong Jeong) FTV 5/10 {67 m.}
10. Micro teukgongdae Daiyateuron 5; aka: Space Transformer (1985 / Su-yong Jeong) FTV 4+/10 {63 m.}
11. Super Titan 15; aka: Wonder of Frontier (1983 / Seung-cheol Park) FTV 4+/10 {66 m.}
13. Uribyeol Ilho-wa Eollukso; aka: The Satellite Girl and Milk Cow (2014 / Hyeong-yoon Jang) FTV 8/10 {81 m.}
16. Lego DC Super Heroes: Justice League – Attack of the Legion of Doom! (2015 / Rick Morales) FTV 7/10 {77 min. }
17. DC Super Hero Girls: Hero of the Year (2016 / Cecilia Aranovich) FTV 7+/10 {76 min. }
18. Sero hiki no Goshu; aka: Gauche the Cellist (1982 / Isao Takahata) FTV 8+/10 {62 m.}
20. Space Ninja: The Animated Movie; aka: Cyborg Assassin: Legend of the Space Ninja (2014 / Ed Glaser) FTV 4+/10 {67 m.}
23-37. Robotech: The Macross Saga, Episodes 1-36 (1985) FTV 7+/10 {900 min. total}
38. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996 / Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise) FTV 7/10 {91 m.}
42. Welcome to Monster High (2016 / Stephen Donnelly, Olly Reid, Jun Falkenstein) FTV 7/10 {73 m.}
43. Monster High: Electrified (2017 / Augusta Zourelidi, Jun Falkenstein) FTV 5+/10 {71 m.}
45. Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (2018 / Aaron Horvath, Peter Rida Michail) 7/10 {84 m.}
48. Yôkai Watch: Tanjô no himitsuda nyan; aka: Yo-kai Watch Movie: It's the Secret of Birth, Meow! (2014 / Shigeharu Takahashi, Shinji Ushiro, Mark Risley) FTV 6+/10 {97 m.}
a. Robotech: The Masters, Episodes 37-60 (1985) FTV 7+/10 {576 min.}

60. Hirune=hime: Shiranai watashi no monogatari; aka: Napping Princess (2017 / Kenji Kamiyama) 7+/10 {111 m.}
64. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018 / Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman) 9/10 {107 m.}

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

5. Ethel & Ernest (2016)
The home front in London and then middle class midcentury Britain. It's a familiar story, told many times before. The generic plot isn't helped by the many, many scenes of just someone reading current events from the newspaper. The class theme was admittedly interesting. But for all that, it's a poignant and sweet movie that manages not to be cloying. That alone offers great value. I enjoyed this movie.

6. Zootopia (2016)
I thought I was going to watch a cute animal comedy about mutual understanding and self-acceptance. Instead, all of those elements were merely a facade for an action/mystery picture about class conflict, political corruption, and dirty cops. Seems more like a Sidney Lumet movie than anything else. I suppose those are timeless themes because otherwise I would be convinced this movie was made not in 2016 but rather in reaction to the events of the past few months.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Spoiler
20. Shiki (2010) episodes 19, 20, 20.5
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

After noting in my last post that I hadn't seen any American films yet, I made a Point of finally seeing one. :mrgreen: Get it? I crack myself up too easily. :whistling:

Re-Animator
5. The Snow Queen (1957)
6. A Whisker Away (2020)
7. The Wind Rises (2013)
8. Pom Poko (1994)
9. Gandahar (1987)
10. The BFG (1989)

11. The Point (1971)

While the messages very much lack subtlety, some of the wordplay is fun as characters discuss things "without a point" etc. The line animation, while at times simplistic, boasts scattered fantastic images too (see above) and the songs are very pleasant even if they sometimes disrupt the narrative slow. The framing device (the whole tale is a bedtime story) only sort of works. The point of the film seems a bit hazy too - funnily enough given the title.
Image Image Image
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

198. Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
199. Atlantis: Milo's Return (2003)
I actually liked The Lost Empire more than I was expecting to given it's reputation as being one of the last animated films from Disney's traditional animation studio. It has a brisk, fun pace with a genuine sense of adventure and surprisingly good mix of traditional and CG animation for the time period. The sequel Milo's Return is just terrible though. Bad animation and art and a hackneyed plot that cheaps the end of the first film. So basically a pretty typical Disney DTV sequel.

200. Stuart Little 2 (2002)
Man, I inadvertently was having a Michael J. Fox day yesterday (he played the lead in both this and Atlantis). Stuart Little 2 is pretty forgettable. Oddly it has a similar plot to Hunchback II of a female that Stuart befriends who is secretly working with a con man to rob Stuart's family. Inessential but not offensive.

201. Ajîru sesshon a.k.a. Asylum Session (2009)
Despite a fairly unique agitprop premise for an anime the incredibly hideous CG animation drags this one down to the point that I don't think I'd really recommend watching it.

202. Mid-Century Modern Vol. 1 Pre-Order Bonus Disc (Willoughby's Magic Hat, Outlaws, The Sleuth's Apprentice, T Is For Teacher, Stop Driving Us Crazy, Mr. Finley's Feelings, John Hubley Commercials, Tales from the Wizard of Oz)
Thunderbean often includes special bonus discs in limited quantities if you pre-order their sets through a couple of forums. These bonus discs often include very rare shorts that have source material not up to the quality of the regular release but that still may be of interest to classic animation fans. This group typifies that approach with a selection of shorts that are pulled from worn 16mm and 35mm prints (possibly even a couple of 8mm from the look of them) that while not in the best condition still offers some entertainment. Of particular interest to fans of John & Faith Hubley is a block of about 20 to 30 minutes of commercials animated by them that may not even be available anywhere else.

203. Lady Death (2004)
Generic comic book adaptation that feels like an amalgamation of a 13-year-old's imagination... Has a major anime influence, particularly with stuff like Vampire Hunter D.

204. The Princess Twins of Legendale (2013)
This was obviously released to cash in on the popularity of Disney's Frozen with a fairy tale-esque story about twin sisters separated at birth imbued with latent magic powers. From the creators of those creepy Lalaloopsy dolls and looking like it was made on a very low budget with pretty bad animation and forgettable songs, I'd say avoid this one unless your kids pester you to watch it like mine did.

205. Mécanix (2003)
Here we have a bizarre hybrid of the Quay Brothers and Begotten. As creepy as it is obtuse, this brown-tinted nightmare fuel uses a mix of live action actors interacting with twisted and strange creatures to tell a story of...um...I have no idea really.

206. Makaitoshi Shinjuku a.k.a. Demon City Shinjuku (1988)
This was a rewatch but it's been over two decades since I've seen it and thought it was time to revisit. From the director of Wicked City, Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll and based on a manga from the creator of Wicked City and Vampire Hunter D, it definitely feels like a hybrid of all those mentioned in a story that's part demon invasion and part samurai quest. It's decent but lacks some of the memorable moments from the other films mentioned.
Love for Cel
5. The Cosmic Eye (1986)
12c. The Comb (1991)
12d. In Absentia (2000)
13b. Maska (2010)
19. Storks (2016)
26. Dead Fury (2008)
42. The Grinch (2018)
43d. Gargarin (1994)
51. Abominable (2019)
55. Tinker Bell (2008)
61. Cheatin' (2013)
62d. Puppy (2017)
73c. Tanabota (2012)
82. Tower (2016)
83. Egon & Dönci (2007)
96. Wave Twisters (2001)
113b. Cheburashka (1971)
121a. Thunder (1982)
121c. Flatlife (2004)
122e. Filmstudie (1926)
122f. A La Mode (1959)
122. Onward (2020)
125. Chico & Rita (2010)
146. The Star (2017)
148. Peter Rabbit (2018)
157. Phantom Boy (2015)
165. Delgo (2008)
168. The Humanoid (1986)
202. Mid-Century Modern Vol. 1 Pre-Order Bonus Disc (Willoughby's Magic Hat, Outlaws, The Sleuth's Apprentice, T Is For Teacher, Stop Driving Us Crazy, Mr. Finley's Feelings, John Hubley Commercials, Tales from the Wizard of Oz)
203. Lady Death (2004)
205. Mécanix (2003)
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Spoiler
21. Shiki (2010) episodes 21, 21.5, 22
frbrown

Post by frbrown »

52. G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (1983)
53. The Mind's Eye (1990)
54. Despicable Me (2010)
55. Okko's Inn (2018)

56a. Batman TAS: Heart of Steel: Part I (1992)
56b. Batman TAS: Heart of Steel: Part II (1992)
56c. Batman TAS: If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich? (1992)

Spoiler
1. A Silent Voice (2016)
2. In This Corner of the World (2016)
3. Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone (2007)
4a. Hare Trigger (1945)
4b. To Duck... or Not to Duck (1943) [rewatch]
4c. Birth of a Notion (1947)
4d. My Little Duckaroo (1954)
4e. Crowing Pains (1947)
4f. Raw! Raw! Rooster! (1956)
4g. Heaven Scent (1956)
4h. My Favorite Duck (1942) [rewatch]
4i. Jumpin' Jupiter (1955)
5. Treasure Planet (2002)
6. The Garden of Sinners - Remix: Gate of Seventh Heaven (2009)
7a. Batman TAS: Eternal Youth (1992)
7b. Batman TAS: Perchance to Dream (1992)
7c. Batman TAS: The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy (1992)
8. Anastasia (1997)
9a. Batman TAS: Robin's Reckoning: Part I (1993)
9b. Batman TAS: Robin's Reckoning: Part II (1993)
9c. Batman TAS: The Laughing Fish (1993)
10. Coonskin (1975)
11. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
12. Bio Hunter (1995)
13. The Emperor's Nightingale (1949)
14. Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms (2018)
15. Penguin Highway (2018)
16. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (2011)
17. The Garden of Sinners: A Study in Murder - Part 2 (2009)
18a. Satan's Waitin' (1954)
18b. Hook, Line and Stinker (1958)
18c. Bear Feat (1949)
18d. Dog Gone South (1950)
18e. A Ham in a Role (1949)
18f. Often an Orphan (1949)
18g. Sniffles Takes a Trip (1940)
18h. Hippety Hopper (1949)
18i. Rabbit Rampage (1955) [rewatch]
18j. Boyhood Daze (1957)
19a. A Connecticut Rabbit in King Arthur's Court (1978)
19b. Daffy Duck's Easter Show (1980)
19c. La gazza ladra (1964)
20. Gay Purr-ee (1962)
21. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
22. Lupin III: Blood Seal - Eternal Mermaid (2011)
23. Modest Heroes (2018)
24. Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (1996)
25. Dirty Pair: Affair of Nolandia (1985)
26a. Detective Conan: Conan vs. Kid vs. Yaiba (2000)
26b. Detective Conan: 16 Suspects (2002)
26c. Detective Conan: Conan, Heiji, and the Vanished Boy (2003)
27. Incredibles 2 (2018)
28. Song of the South (1946)
29a. Horton Hatches the Egg (1942) [rewatch]
29b. Lights Fantastic (1942)
29c. Fresh Airedale (1945)
29d. Chow Hound (1951)
29e. The Oily American (1954)
29f. It's Hummer Time (1950)
29g. Rocket-bye Baby (1956)
29h. Goo Goo Goliath (1954)
29i. Wild Wife (1954)
30. Ride Your Wave (2019)
31. Promare (2019)
32. Fun & Fancy Free (1947)
33. Coco (2017)
34a. Batman TAS: Night of the Ninja (1992)
34b. Batman TAS: Cat Scratch Fever (1992)
34c. Batman TAS: The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne (1992)
35. Isle of Dogs (2018)
36a. Much Ado About Nutting (1953)
36b. The Hole Idea (1955)
36c. Now Hear This (1962)
36d. Martian Through Georgia (1962)
36e. Page Miss Glory (1936)
36f. Norman Normal (1968)
36g. Sleepy Time Possum (1951)
36h. Punch Trunk (1953)
36i. Wild Wild World (1960)
36j. Bartholomew Versus the Wheel (1964)
37. Dragon Ball Super: Broly (2018)
38a. Duckman: Noir Gang (1996)
38b. Duckman: Forbidden Fruit (1996)
38c. Duckman: Grandma-ma's Flatulent Adventure (1996)
39. Ranma 1/2: Big Trouble in Nekonron, China (1991)
40. Casshan (1993)
41. The Prince of Egypt (1998)
42. One Piece Film Z (2012)
43. Bebe's Kids (1992)
44. Toy Story 4 (2019)
45a. Herr Meets Hare (1945) [rewatch]
45b. Russian Rhapsody (1944)
45c. Daffy - The Commando (1943) [rewatch]
45d. Bosko the Doughboy (1931)
45e. Rookie Revue (1941)
45f. The Draft Horse (1942)
45g. Wacky Blackout (1942)
45h. The Ducktators (1942) [rewatch]
45i. The Weakly Reporter (1944)
46a. The Fifth-Column Mouse (1943)
46b. Meet John Doughboy (1941)
46c. Hollywood Canine Canteen (1946)
46d. The Fighting 69½th (1941)
46e. Hop and Go (1943)
46f. Confusions of a Nutzy Spy (1943)
46g. By Word of Mouse (1954)
46h. Heir-Conditioned (1955)
46i. Yankee Dood It (1956)
47a. Poultry Pirates (1938)
47b. A Day at the Beach (1938)
47c. The Captain's Christmas (1938)
47d. Seal Skinners (1939)
47e. Mama's New Hat (1939)
47f. Auntie Edna (2018)
47g. Bao (2018)
47h. Caught in a Ham (2019)
48a. Duckman: Color of Naught (1996)
48b. Duckman: Sperms of Endearment (1996)
48c. Duckman: A Room with a Bellevue (1996)
49. Pokemon: I Choose You! (2017)
50. Naruto: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom (2006)
51. One Pound Gospel (1988)
54. Despicable Me (2010)
55. Okko's Inn (2018)
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

35. Oliver & Company (1988, George Scribner) rewatch: ? > 6.2 - Oliver & Company starts very well and promising by setting the stage of (a Disney take on) the hard city life in New York, while we meet its adorable lead in a heartwarming scene and than introduces it most memorable character, Dodger, during a great montage set to a catchy Billy Joel song. Unfortunately it goes downhill from there, resulting in a mediocre Disney. The movie completely downplays the grittier element of the Dickens story, it only very loosely still resembles, f.e. by making Fagin, the human leader of the gang, into a sympathetic loser so it's more acceptable he uses his animal gang to commit petty crimes. Cheech Marin's character, Tito, is one that didn't stand the test of time well.

36. Puss in Boots (2011, Chris Miller): It already was a poor unfunny movie with an phoned in plot, until a ridiculous plottwist which moved it into bad. Puss in Boots is a character that's fun side character in the Shrek movies, but can't carry this movie. And (most) other characters are even more annoying, most of all Humpty Dumpty.

37. Hotel Transylvania (2012, Genndy Tartakovsky): 6.5
38. Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015, Genndy Tartakovsky): 6.5 - These were nice surprises. The whole monsters seeking shelter from horrific humans is an amusing premise and a good excuse to include many witty references. The plots, of course, are very standard and predictable. But the execution is enjoyable. I liked the second slightly more, cause it has a fun take on modern parenting styles.

39. Tarzan (1999, Chris Buck & Kevin Lima) rewatch: ? > 7.2 - One of the most surprising things about Tarzan is how long it took before Disney did their take on this famous story. The movie itself is a very enjoyable decent movie, that would belong to the second tiers Disneys, where it not for an overdoses of irritating Phil Collins songs and a rushed plot.

40. Lilo & Stitch (2002, Chris Sanders & Dean Deblois) rewatch: ? > 7.5 - Disney goes sci-fi. The animation is strong with some fun character designs. The execution of the plot is very decent; instead of turning Stitch immediately into a cute reformed character after meeting Lilo, he stays true to his violent destructive nature for most of the movie, resulting in some fun moments. But what surprised me most in this rewatch is the darker realistic underlying themes in this by portraying Lilo and her sister as a family broken by a tragedy, with her sister trying to make ends meet while having to deal also with social security trying to take her sister away. Also after seeing so many women with absurd proportions (Jane in Tarzan has a waist that's as big as her wrist) to see females who looked more natural and real.

41. Brother Bear (2003. Aaron Blaise & Robert Walker) rewatch: ? > 7.0 - a nicely animated, enjoyable, heartwarming Disney.

Spoiler
1. J'ai perdu mon corps [ I Lost My Body] (2019, Jérémy Clapin): 7.2
2. Incredibles 2 (2018, Brad Bird): 7.5
3. Finding Dory (2016, Andrew Stanton & Angus MacLane): 6.5
4. Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018,Rich Moore & Phil Johnston): 7.8
5. Cars 2 (2011, John Lasseter & Brad Lewis): 4.5
6. Cars 3 (2017, Brian Fee): 6.0
7. Saludos Amigos (1942, Hamilton Luske, Wilfred Jackson, Jack Kinney, Bill Roberts): 5.5
8. Fun & Fancy Free (1947,Hamilton Luske, Jack Kinney, Bill Roberts, William Morgan): 5.5
9. Melody Time (1948, Clyde Geronimi, Hamilton Luske, Wilfred Jackson, Jack Kinney): 5.2
10. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949, James Algar, Clyde Geronimi, Jack Kinney): 5.8
11. Cinderella (1950, Clyde Geronimi, Hamilton Luske, Wilfred Jackson): 6.0
12. The Black Cauldron (1985, Richard Rich & Ted Berman): 6.8
13. Hercules (1997, Ron Clements & John Musker): 6.8
14. Mulan (1998, Tony Bancroft & Barry Cook): 6.8
15. Dinosaur (2000, Eric Leighton & Ralph Zondag): 4.8
16. Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001, Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise): 7.0
17. Home on the Range (2004, Will Finn, John Sanford): 5.2
18. Fantasia/2000 (1999, James Algar, Eric Goldberg, Gaëtan Brizzi, Hendel Butoy, Pixote Hunt, Paul Brizzi, Francis Glebas & Don Hahn): 6.2
19. Chicken Little (2005, Mark Dindal): 3.8
20. Meet the Robinsons (2007, Stephen J. Anderson): 5.0
21. Winnie the Pooh (2011, Stephen J. Anderson & Don Hall): 7.2
22. Frozen II (2019, Chris Buck & Jennifer Lee): 4.5
23. James and the Giant Peach (1996): 5.5
24. The Secret Life of Pets (2016, Chris Renaud & Yarrow Cheney): 7.0
25. Sing (2016, Garth Jennings): 6.5
26. Peter Pan (1953, Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson & Hamilton Luske) (rewatch): ? > 7.5
27. A Goofy Movie (1995, Kevin Lima): 6.5
28. An Extremely Goofy Movie (2000, Douglas McCarthy): 6.5
29. One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961, Clyde Geronimi, Wolfgang Reitherman & Hamilton Luske) (rewatch): ? > 7.8
30. Ōkami kodomo no Ame to Yuki [Wolf Children] (2012, Mamoru Hosoda): 7.5
31. The AristoCats (1970, ) rewatch: ? > 5.0
32. The Prince of Egypt (1998, Brenda Chapman, Steve Hickner & Simon Wells): 6.2
33. Over the Hedge (2006, Tim Johnson & Karey Kirkpatrick): 6.2
34. Robin Hood (1973) rewatch: 9.0 > 9.0
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

207. 009 Re: Cyborg (2012)
Watched this last week and forgot to check it. Visually this one is pretty exciting to watch with some great action sequences. Unfortunately the plot is overly convoluted and quite different than the original 009 series, so long-time fans and new fans may not be particularly jazzed out how this one turned out.

208. Maugli a.k.a. Adventures of Mowgli (1973)
An interesting art style and a more faithful, darker tone than the Disney versions of the Kipling story make this one overall a better watch.

209. Superman: Man of Tomorrow (2020)
I thought this was a solid stand-alone story about Superman's early years. Honestly Lobo is probably the most out-of-place element here. He just feels out of a totally different storyline.

210-213. Ranma ½ OVA 1-12 (1993-2008)
I decided to wallow in some nostalgia for a while and watch all the Ranma OVAs. Of particular interest is the 12th OVA which was made over a decade after the 11th one as a Rumik World anniversary thing. It was kinda neat to see Ranma and the gang with a much newer, more polished animation style. Plot-wise it's still the same shenanigans. As a neat little bonus for the anniversary, there's a little intro that has all of Rumiko Takahashi's most famous characters interacting. So you've got Ranma wondering what magic spring Inuyasha fell into and Ataru from Urusei Yatsura hitting on female Ranma, Akane and Kagome while Lum goes nuts. It's throwaway and irrelevant to the actual story but still a fun little bonus.

214. Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension (2011)
Much like the TV series, this Phineas & Ferb movie is fun and incredibly fast-paced (although detrimentally so to be honest) with Doofenshmirtz creating a rift in space & time (after Phineas & Ferb fix his failed attempt) which leads to a dystopian version of Danville with P&F themselves as weak-minded shut-ins and many of their friends caught up in a resistance fighting a much more effective Doofenshmirtz than the one in the other dimension. It's safe to say if you like the show, you'll enjoy this feature length adventure too.

215a. Kid Paddle Vol. 1 (2003)
215b. G.I. Joe: Ninja Battles (2004)
Kid Paddle is a DVD collecting a few random episodes of the France/Canada animated series based on the Belgian comic strip and it shows. It's very episodic and not terribly funny. I'll probably forget its existence by the end of the week. GI Joe: Ninja Battles was released around the same time as Spy Troops and is also a special produced to market a toy line. Also like Spy Troops, it has ugly CG animation but unlike Spy Troops, it also has 2D motion comic style animation as well which honestly looks better. The story is also a little better with its focus on Snake Eyes but it's still pretty mediocre.

216. Nocturna (2007)
I dug this one. The animation style has a certain charm, and although the story feels derivative of Monsters Inc, it's still decently engaging and fun to watch.

217. Hey Good Lookin' (1982)
Based on the Bakshi convo from the other day, I decided to watch one of the few of his films I hadn't seen yet. Honestly if you don't care for many of his other more improvisational, streets-based rotoscoped films like American Pop and Heavy Traffic, this one isn't going to change your mind. It has a very similar feel to those but taking place in the '50s for the most part. I actually liked it a decent amount. One thing I think Bakshi does a good job of is creating a good sense of place that feels more authentic than romanticized views of the past like American Graffiti.

218. Mutafukaz a.k.a. MFKZ (2017)
When Studio 4°C is on fire, they can produce some of the best looking, most fluid animation out there and this is probably MFKZ's strongest suit. It's super fun and exciting to watch for the visuals alone. It's too bad the plot itself is pretty bland but that almost doesn't matter.

219. Khan kluay a.k.a. The Blue Elephant (2006)
This Thai CD animation is pretty bad on several fronts. The animation is pretty bad and the plot feels derivative of Disney. Of course, little kids aren't known for their refined tastes (my kids watching shitty stuff on youtube that looks even worse than this), so I'm sure there's still an audience for this.
Love for Cel
5. The Cosmic Eye (1986)
12c. The Comb (1991)
12d. In Absentia (2000)
13b. Maska (2010)
19. Storks (2016)
26. Dead Fury (2008)
42. The Grinch (2018)
43d. Gargarin (1994)
51. Abominable (2019)
55. Tinker Bell (2008)
61. Cheatin' (2013)
62d. Puppy (2017)
73c. Tanabota (2012)
82. Tower (2016)
83. Egon & Dönci (2007)
96. Wave Twisters (2001)
113b. Cheburashka (1971)
121a. Thunder (1982)
121c. Flatlife (2004)
122e. Filmstudie (1926)
122f. A La Mode (1959)
122. Onward (2020)
125. Chico & Rita (2010)
146. The Star (2017)
148. Peter Rabbit (2018)
157. Phantom Boy (2015)
165. Delgo (2008)
168. The Humanoid (1986)
203. Lady Death (2004)
205. Mécanix (2003)
207. 009 Re: Cyborg (2012)
208. Maugli a.k.a. Adventures of Mowgli (1973)
209. Superman: Man of Tomorrow (2020)
210-213. Ranma ½ OVA 1-12 (1993-2008)
214. Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension (2011)
215a. Kid Paddle Vol. 1 (2003)
215b. G.I. Joe: Ninja Battles (2004)
216. Nocturna (2007)
217. Hey Good Lookin' (1982)
218. Mutafukaz a.k.a. MFKZ (2017)
219. Khan kluay a.k.a. The Blue Elephant (2006)
jdidaco

Post by jdidaco »

(Gif/screenshot from 'Shinbone Alley' & 'Window Horses: The Poetic Persian Epiphany of Rosie Ming'),

Mehitabel (l) , in all her glory!

33. Chelovechka narisoval ya (I Drew the Little Man, Valentina Brumberg & Zinaida Brumberg, 1960) 7/10
34. Shinbone Alley (John Wilson & David Detiege, 1970) 7/10
35. Ubu et la grande Gidouille (Ubu and the Great Gidouille, Jan Lenica, 1979) 8/10
36. Mécanix (Rémy M. Larochelle, 2003) 7.5/10
37. Window Horses: The Poetic Persian Epiphany of Rosie Ming (Ann Marie Fleming, 2016) 8.5/10
38. Le grand méchant renard et autres contes... (The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales, Benjamin Renner & Patrick Imbert, 2017) 8/10

Spoiler
1. Misteriya-Buff (Mystery-Bouffe, David Cherkasskiy, 1969) 8.5/10
2. Maugli (The Adventures of Mowgli, Roman Davydov, 1973) 8/10
3. U (U the Unicorn, Serge Elissalde, 2006) 8/10
4. Louise en hiver (Louise by the Shore, Jean-François Laguionie, 2016) 8/10
5. Un rêve solaire (A Solar Dream, Patrick Bokanowski, 2016) 8.5/10
6. Ma vie de Courgette (My Life as a Courgette, Claude Barras, 2016) 8.5/10
7. La jeune fille sans mains (The Girl Without Hands, Sébastien Laudenbach, 2016) 8.5/10
8. Dilili à Paris (Dilili in Paris, Michel Ocelot, 2018) 8.5/10
9. The Soldier's Tale (R.O. Blechman & Christian Blackwood, 1984) 8/10
10. Drawn from Memory (Paul Fierlinger, 1995) 8/10
11. Kimi to, nami ni noretara (Ride Your Wave, Masaaki Yuasa, 2019) 7.5/10
12. Tenki no ko (Weathering with You, Makoto Shinkai, 2019) 7/10
13. Il cavaliere inesistente (The Nonexistent Knight, Pino Zac, 1969) 9/10
14. Wizards (Ralph Bakshi, 1977) 7/10
15. The Amazing Mister Bickford (Frank Zappa & Bruce Bickford, 1987) 8.5/10
16. Mutant Aliens (Bill Plympton, 2001) 8/10
17. L'arte della felicità (The Art of Happiness, Alessandro Rak, 2013) 8.5/10
18. Gatta Cenerentola (Cinderella the Cat, Alessandro Rak & Ivan Cappiello & Marino Guarnieri & Dario Sansone, 2017) 7/10
19. Levsha (Lefty, Ivan Ivanov-Vano & Vladimir Danilevich, 1964) 7.5/10
20. Podi tuda, ne znayu kuda (Go There, Don't Know Where, Ivan Ivanov-Vano & Vladimir Danilevich, 1966) 8/10
21. The Phantom Tollbooth (Chuck Jones & Abe Levitow & Dave Monahan, 1970) 7/10
22. Boi Aruá (Francisco Liberato, 1983) 8/10
23. Îhatôbu gensô: KENjI no haru (Spring and Chaos: The Life Story of Kenji Miyazawa, Shôji Kawamori, 1996) 9/10
24. Gusukô Budori no denki (The Life of Budori Gusuko, Gisaburô Sugii, 2012) 7.5/10
25. Até que a Sbórnia nos Separe (Until Sbornia Do Us Part, Otto Guerra & Ennio Torresan, 2013) 7/10
26. Uma História de Amor e Fúria (Rio 2096: A Story of Love and Fury, Luiz Bolognesi, 2013) 8/10
27. Everybody Rides the Carousel (John Hubley, 1976) 7.5/10
28. Tian shu qi tan (Secrets of the Heavenly Book, Wang Shuchen & Qiuan Yunda, 1983) 7.5/10
29. Jin hou xiang yao (The Monkey King Conquers the Demon, Te Wei & Yan Ding Xian & Lin Wen Xiao, 1985) 8/10
30. Volshebnaya svirel (The Magic Pipe, Mikhail Tumelya, 1998) 9/10
31. Ku! Kin-dza-dza (Georgiy Daneliya & Tatyana Ilina, 2013) 7.5/10
32. Hao jile (Have a Nice Day, Liu Jian, 2017) 7/10
psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

65. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1 (2012 / Jay Oliva) FTV 8+/10 {76 m. }
66. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 2 (2013 / Jay Oliva) FTV 8+/10 {76 m. }
67. Batman: The Killing Joke (2016 / Sam Liu) FTV 7+/10 {76 m. }
68. Lego DC Batman: Family Matters (2019 / Matt Peters) FTV 6/10 {72 m. }
69. The Batman vs. Dracula (2005 / Sam Liu & 3 more guys) FTV 7+/10 {83 m. }

Ani Me

65. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1 (2012 / Jay Oliva) FTV 8+/10 {76 m. }
66. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 2 (2013 / Jay Oliva) FTV 8+/10 {76 m. }

mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Spoiler
22. Girls' Last Tour (2017) episodes 1-3
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

14. 1.0* - G-Force by Hoyt Yeatman (2009)

I guess there was a time when animated rodents mixed with live action was considered the next big thing. After a hefty dose of Alvin & the Chipmunk and Stuart Little, G-Force brings a team of spy-hungry guinea pigs to the table. I can't say I get the appeal, even less so after watching this one. It's probably a combination of being easy enough to animate and cuddly enough to like, personally I'm not a big fan of animated rodents. Especially not when they're trying to act all cool, which just makes things worse. Add the atrocious dub work and you're got a certified recipe for disaster. The plot is dumb, the music is of the shlocky pop kind and the comedy is certified unfunny. Probably fun for very young kids who want to see an age-appropriate Mission Impossible, I can't see this doing much for anyone else. At least it was short and decently paced, but that's not much of a comfort when the rest is terrible.

Still feels a bit weird including this though. Animated characters in a live action are fine, but live action actors in a mostly animated worlds (saw Gods of Egypt yesterday) aren't?

celf-exploration
00. 2.5* - Lupin III: Burning Memory - Tokyo Crisis [Rupan Sansei: Honô no Kioku Tokyo Crisis] by Toshiya Shinohara (1998)
02. 3.0* - Lupin III: Dead or Alive [Rupan Sansei: Dead or Alive] by Monkey Punch, Jun Kawagoe (1996)
06. 3.5* - A Whisker Awa y[Nakitai Watashi wa Neko wo Kaburu] by Jun'ichi Satô, Tomotaka Shibayama (2020)
08. 1.0* - The Prince of Egypt by Brenda Chapman, Steve Hickner, Simon Wel (1998)
09. 3.0* - Lupin III: The Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure [Rupan Sansei: Harimao no Zaiho Wo Ee!!] by Osamu Dezaki (1995)
10. 2.5* - City Hunter: Death of the Vicious Criminal [City Hunter Special: Kinkyû Namachûkei!?] by Masaharu Okuwaki (1999)
11. 1.5* - Asterix and Cleopatra [Astérix et Cléopâtre] by René Goscinny, Albert Uderzo (1968)
13. 2.5* - Prince Nezha's Triumph Against Dragon King [Nezha Nao Hai] by Shuchen Wang, Jingda Xu, Ding Xian Yan (1979)
Last edited by Onderhond on September 24th, 2020, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frbrown

Post by frbrown »

57a. Batman TAS: Joker's Wild (1992)
57b. Batman TAS: Tyger Tyger (1992)
57c. Batman TAS: Moon of the Wolf (1992)

Spoiler
1. A Silent Voice (2016)
2. In This Corner of the World (2016)
3. Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone (2007)
4a. Hare Trigger (1945)
4b. To Duck... or Not to Duck (1943) [rewatch]
4c. Birth of a Notion (1947)
4d. My Little Duckaroo (1954)
4e. Crowing Pains (1947)
4f. Raw! Raw! Rooster! (1956)
4g. Heaven Scent (1956)
4h. My Favorite Duck (1942) [rewatch]
4i. Jumpin' Jupiter (1955)
5. Treasure Planet (2002)
6. The Garden of Sinners - Remix: Gate of Seventh Heaven (2009)
7a. Batman TAS: Eternal Youth (1992)
7b. Batman TAS: Perchance to Dream (1992)
7c. Batman TAS: The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy (1992)
8. Anastasia (1997)
9a. Batman TAS: Robin's Reckoning: Part I (1993)
9b. Batman TAS: Robin's Reckoning: Part II (1993)
9c. Batman TAS: The Laughing Fish (1993)
10. Coonskin (1975)
11. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
12. Bio Hunter (1995)
13. The Emperor's Nightingale (1949)
14. Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms (2018)
15. Penguin Highway (2018)
16. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (2011)
17. The Garden of Sinners: A Study in Murder - Part 2 (2009)
18a. Satan's Waitin' (1954)
18b. Hook, Line and Stinker (1958)
18c. Bear Feat (1949)
18d. Dog Gone South (1950)
18e. A Ham in a Role (1949)
18f. Often an Orphan (1949)
18g. Sniffles Takes a Trip (1940)
18h. Hippety Hopper (1949)
18i. Rabbit Rampage (1955) [rewatch]
18j. Boyhood Daze (1957)
19a. A Connecticut Rabbit in King Arthur's Court (1978)
19b. Daffy Duck's Easter Show (1980)
19c. La gazza ladra (1964)
20. Gay Purr-ee (1962)
21. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
22. Lupin III: Blood Seal - Eternal Mermaid (2011)
23. Modest Heroes (2018)
24. Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (1996)
25. Dirty Pair: Affair of Nolandia (1985)
26a. Detective Conan: Conan vs. Kid vs. Yaiba (2000)
26b. Detective Conan: 16 Suspects (2002)
26c. Detective Conan: Conan, Heiji, and the Vanished Boy (2003)
27. Incredibles 2 (2018)
28. Song of the South (1946)
29a. Horton Hatches the Egg (1942) [rewatch]
29b. Lights Fantastic (1942)
29c. Fresh Airedale (1945)
29d. Chow Hound (1951)
29e. The Oily American (1954)
29f. It's Hummer Time (1950)
29g. Rocket-bye Baby (1956)
29h. Goo Goo Goliath (1954)
29i. Wild Wife (1954)
30. Ride Your Wave (2019)
31. Promare (2019)
32. Fun & Fancy Free (1947)
33. Coco (2017)
34a. Batman TAS: Night of the Ninja (1992)
34b. Batman TAS: Cat Scratch Fever (1992)
34c. Batman TAS: The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne (1992)
35. Isle of Dogs (2018)
36a. Much Ado About Nutting (1953)
36b. The Hole Idea (1955)
36c. Now Hear This (1962)
36d. Martian Through Georgia (1962)
36e. Page Miss Glory (1936)
36f. Norman Normal (1968)
36g. Sleepy Time Possum (1951)
36h. Punch Trunk (1953)
36i. Wild Wild World (1960)
36j. Bartholomew Versus the Wheel (1964)
37. Dragon Ball Super: Broly (2018)
38a. Duckman: Noir Gang (1996)
38b. Duckman: Forbidden Fruit (1996)
38c. Duckman: Grandma-ma's Flatulent Adventure (1996)
39. Ranma 1/2: Big Trouble in Nekonron, China (1991)
40. Casshan (1993)
41. The Prince of Egypt (1998)
42. One Piece Film Z (2012)
43. Bebe's Kids (1992)
44. Toy Story 4 (2019)
45a. Herr Meets Hare (1945) [rewatch]
45b. Russian Rhapsody (1944)
45c. Daffy - The Commando (1943) [rewatch]
45d. Bosko the Doughboy (1931)
45e. Rookie Revue (1941)
45f. The Draft Horse (1942)
45g. Wacky Blackout (1942)
45h. The Ducktators (1942) [rewatch]
45i. The Weakly Reporter (1944)
46a. The Fifth-Column Mouse (1943)
46b. Meet John Doughboy (1941)
46c. Hollywood Canine Canteen (1946)
46d. The Fighting 69½th (1941)
46e. Hop and Go (1943)
46f. Confusions of a Nutzy Spy (1943)
46g. By Word of Mouse (1954)
46h. Heir-Conditioned (1955)
46i. Yankee Dood It (1956)
47a. Poultry Pirates (1938)
47b. A Day at the Beach (1938)
47c. The Captain's Christmas (1938)
47d. Seal Skinners (1939)
47e. Mama's New Hat (1939)
47f. Auntie Edna (2018)
47g. Bao (2018)
47h. Caught in a Ham (2019)
48a. Duckman: Color of Naught (1996)
48b. Duckman: Sperms of Endearment (1996)
48c. Duckman: A Room with a Bellevue (1996)
49. Pokemon: I Choose You! (2017)
50. Naruto: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom (2006)
51. One Pound Gospel (1988)
54. Despicable Me (2010)
55. Okko's Inn (2018)
57a. Batman TAS: Joker's Wild (1992)
57b. Batman TAS: Tyger Tyger (1992)
57c. Batman TAS: Moon of the Wolf (1992)
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

And now we get to the single best film that I have seen this Challenge. :woot: It's under 400 checks too but on nobody's ballot (as far as I can tell).

Re-Animator
5. The Snow Queen (1957)
6. A Whisker Away (2020)
7. The Wind Rises (2013)
8. Pom Poko (1994)
9. Gandahar (1987)
10. The BFG (1989)
11. The Point (1971)

12. My Dog Tulip (2009)

Narrated in a perfectly slow but witty way by Christopher Plummer, this animated film about an old man and a dog who he loves (perhaps a little too much) is quite a ride. His obsession intriguing, particularly his detailed accounts of his dog's bowel movements and his attempts to help her mate. The film also benefits from a very varied animation style with several great line drawings on lined paper that depict the dog as a humanoid being.
Image Image Image
psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

70. Kaiju no kodomo; aka: Children of the Sea (2019 / Ayumu Watanabe) FTV 7/10 {111 m. }
71.Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001 / Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise) 7/10 {95 m.}
72. Treasure Planet (2002 / Ron Clements, John Musker) FTV 7/10 {95 m.}
73. Lego DC Super Hero Girls: Super-villain High (2018 / Elsa Garagarza) FTV 6+/10 {93 m.}
74. Heruzu enjueruzu; aka: Hells (2008 / Yoshinobu Yamakawa) FTV 7/10 {117 m.}

Ani Me

70. Kaiju no kodomo; aka: Children of the Sea (2019 / Ayumu Watanabe) FTV 7/10 {111 m. }
71.Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001 / Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise) 7/10 {95 m.}
72. Treasure Planet (2002 / Ron Clements, John Musker) FTV 7/10 {95 m.}
73. Lego DC Super Hero Girls: Super-villain High (2018 / Elsa Garagarza) FTV 6+/10 {93 m.}
74. Heruzu enjueruzu; aka: Hells (2008 / Yoshinobu Yamakawa) FTV 7/10 {117 m.}

vortexsurfer

Post by vortexsurfer »

30a. Gravity Falls: The Hand That Rocks the Mabel (2012) - 7/10
30b. Gravity Falls: The Inconveniencing (2012) - 8/10
30c. Gravity Falls: Dipper vs. Manliness (2012) - 8/10
31a. Gravity Falls: Double Dipper (2012) - 8/10
31b. Gravity Falls: Irrational Treasure (2012) - 8/10
31c. Gravity Falls: The Time Traveler's Pig (2012) - 9/10
32a. Gravity Falls: Fight Fighters (2012) - 8/10
32b. Gravity Falls: Little Dipper (2012) - 8/10
32c. Gravity Falls: Summerween (2012) - 8/10

Spoiler
1. Onward (Dan Scanlon, 2020) - 5/10
2. The Incredibles (Brad Bird, 2004) - 6/10
3. The Incredibles 2 (Brad Bird, 2018) - 6/10
4. Shark Tale (Bibo Bergeron, Vicky Jenson & Rob Letterman, 2004) - 3/10
5. Flushed Away (David Bowers & Sam Fell, 2006) - 5/10
6. The Croods (Kirk DeMicco & Chris Sanders, 2013) - 6/10
7. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Hayao Miyazaki, 1984) - 9/10
8. Castle in the Sky (Hayao Miyazaki, 1986) - 7/10
9. My Neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki, 1988) - 8/10
10. Kiki's Delivery Service (Hayao Miyazaki, 1989) - 8/10
11. Fantasia (1940) - 7/10
12. The Wild (Steve 'Spaz' Williams, 2006) - 5/10
13. The Black Cauldron (Ted Berman & Richard Rich, 1985) - 7/10
14. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (James Algar, Clyde Geronimi & Jack Kinney, 1949) - 7/10
15. I Married a Strange Person! (Bill Plympton, 1997) - 8/10
16. The Prince of Egypt (Brenda Chapman, Steve Hickner & Simon Wells, 1998) - 6/10
17. The Road to El Dorado (Bibo Bergeron & Don Paul, 2000) - 6/10
18. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (Kelly Asbury & Lorna Cook, 2002) - 6/10
19. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (Patrick Gilmore & Tim Johnson, 2003) - 4/10
20. Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Rob Minkoff, 2014) - 7/10
21. Mutant Aliens (Bill Plympton, 2001) - 8/10
22. Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island (Hiroshi Aoyama, Kazumi Fukushima & Jim Stenstrum, 1998) - 7/10
23. April and the Extraordinary World (Christian Desmares & Franck Ekinci, 2015) - 8/10

24a. Gravity Falls: Tourist Trapped (2012) - 8/10
24b. Gravity Falls: The Legend of the Gobblewonker (2012) - 8/10
24c. Gravity Falls: Headhunters (2012) - 8/10
25a. Aggretsuko: A Day in the Life of Retsuko (2018) - 7/10
25b. Aggretsuko: A Good, Hard-working Girl (2018) - 7/10
25c. Aggretsuko: Short-timer (2018) - 7/10
25d. Aggretsuko: Walking Down the Aisle (2018) - 7/10

30a. Gravity Falls: The Hand That Rocks the Mabel (2012) - 7/10
30b. Gravity Falls: The Inconveniencing (2012) - 8/10
30c. Gravity Falls: Dipper vs. Manliness (2012) - 8/10
31a. Gravity Falls: Double Dipper (2012) - 8/10
31b. Gravity Falls: Irrational Treasure (2012) - 8/10
31c. Gravity Falls: The Time Traveler's Pig (2012) - 9/10
32a. Gravity Falls: Fight Fighters (2012) - 8/10
32b. Gravity Falls: Little Dipper (2012) - 8/10
32c. Gravity Falls: Summerween (2012) - 8/10
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Spoiler
22. Girls' Last Tour (2017) episodes 1-3
23. Girls' Last Tour (2017) episodes 4-6
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

15. 0.5* - Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker by Curt Geda (2000)

I've never seen the Batman Beyond series, but that's not really required to watch this film. You'll catch on quickly enough and when all is said and done, this is just another face-off between Batman and the Joker. It feels like the hundredth iteration of the same thing, then again I'm not a Batman fan to begin with. The film's TV roots are painfully obvious. Character designs are very plain, the animation looks cheap and unappealing. It feels like two episodes stuck together, with little extra budget to make it into something more. All that's left then is the plot, but that's just the usual mishmash of cartoonish nonsense and dim drama. You really have to be a big Batman fan to get anything out of this film. It's TV-level cheap, with atrocious dubbing, lame animation and uninspired direction. That seems to be a returning issue with many of the animated Batman films, then again they get pretty decent ratings so someone must like them.

celf-exploration
06. 3.5* - A Whisker Away [Nakitai Watashi wa Neko wo Kaburu] by Jun'ichi Satô, Tomotaka Shibayama (2020)
14. 1.0* - G-Force by Hoyt Yeatman (2009)
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

1. Charlotte's Web (1973) 7/10
2. Brother Bear (2003) 5/10
sebby

Post by sebby »

24 Alice (1988) 3/10
25 Fritz the Cat (1972) 4/10
26 Moana (2016) 3/10
27 The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) 3/10
28a Primal s1e1 - "Spear and Fang" 7/10
28b Archer s10e1 - "Archer: 1999 -- Bort the Garj" 7/10