Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

China, Hong Kong & Taiwan Challenge (Official, June 2020)

Onderhond

Re: China, Hong Kong & Taiwan Challenge (Official, June 2020)

Post by Onderhond » June 25th, 2020, 1:47 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 1:36 pm
47. Tian jiang xiong shi a.k.a. Dragon Blade (Daniel Lee, 2015) [China/Hong Kong]
You know, I can safely say that I've never thought to myself 'You know what this over-the-hill Jackie Chan military period epic needs? JOHN CUSACK'.
:poshclap:

The many ways China has tried to court Western audience these part two decades (but mostly the last one) have been fun to follow. Dumping their biggest actors in Hollywood films, flying over popular Hollywood actors to star in their films, full-on producing Hollywood films, drawing Hollywood productions to China, hiring behind-the-camera Hollywood talent to help make their films. Nothing works though.

:D

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 25th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Challenge to DeathShow
1. The One-Armed Swordsman (1967) Hong Kong
2. God of Gamblers (1989) Hong Kong
3. All for the Winner (1990) Hong Kong
4. Magnificent Butcher (1979) Hong Kong
5. Five Fingers of Death (1972) Hong Kong
6. The Super Infra-man (1975) Hong Kong
7. Fight Back to School (1991) Hong Kong
8. Forbidden City Cop (1996) Hong Kong
9. Fulltime Killer (2001) Hong Kong
10. Full Contact (1992) Hong Kong
11. City on Fire (1987) Hong Kong
12. Curse of Evil (1982) Hong Kong
13. Out of the Dark (1995) Hong Kong
14. Golden Swallow (1968) Hong Kong
15. The Prodigal Son (1981) Hong Kong
16. Crippled Masters (1979) Hong Kong
17. Little Red Flowers (2006) China
18. King of Comedy (1999) Hong Kong
19. King of Beggars (1992) Hong Kong
20. Flirting Scholar (1993) Hong Kong
21. Armour of God (1986) Hong Kong
22. Fist of Legend (1994) Hong Kong
23. Tai-Chi Master (1993) Hong Kong
24. The Protector (1985) Hong Kong
25. The Mermaid (2016) China
26. Dragon Inn (1967) Taiwan
27. Dragon Inn (1992) Hong Kong
28. Dragon Lord (1982) Hong Kong

29. Duel to Death (1983) Hong Kong

:woot: SIDE CHALLENGE #1 - this was previously watched by blueboybob! --- :woot: SIDE CHALLENGE #2 - a woman in action (see under spoiler tag)

NSFW image for side challengeShow
I'm warning you, this isn't safe for work...Show

While it is refreshing to have a martial arts film focused on the ethics and purpose of killing, the conversations feel like dull filler in between the fights. The battles are pretty solid with the fighters imaginatively flying through the air, turning into leaves, turning invisible and so on, and - at the film's zaniest - a giant ninja somersaults in the air and splits into five separate ninjas. This kookiness does, however, go against the film's attempts at realism.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 25th, 2020, 4:44 pm

20. Xi yan (1993) - Taiwan
21. Saat po long (2005) - Hong Kong

SpoilerShow
01. Shen wei san meng long (1980) - Hong Kong
02. Proposition (2012) + Tricycle Thief (2014) + Death of a Parrot (2015) + The Identity of the Portuguese Egg Tart (2015) + The Great Debt (2016) + CaCa: I Want Cat to Say Yes (2017) + O Cravo (2017) + Desireland, Multiverse (2020) - Macao
03. Ying hung boon sik (1986) - Hong Kong
04. Guizi lai le (2000) - China
05. Ba wang bie ji (1993) - China
06. Huo zhe (1994) - China
07. Hong gao liang (1988) - China
08. Qi mou miao ji: Wu fu xing (1983) - Hong Kong
09. Pik lik foh (1995) - Hong Kong
10. Hung fan kui (1995) - Hong Kong
11. Yip Man (2008) - Hong Kong
12. Yip Man 2 (2010) - Hong Kong
13. Dung che sai duk (1994) - Hong Kong
14. Ah fei zing zyun (1994) - Hong Kong
15. Gui da gui (1980) - Hong Kong
16. Ouran (1968) + Sijie (1968) + Hua yang de nian hua (2000) + There's Only One Sun (2007) + 1 Dimension (2013) + Christopher Doyle: Filming in the Neon World (2014) - Hong Kong
17. Fuk sing go jiu (1985) - Hong Kong
18. Da zui xia (1966) - Hong Kong
19. Ni na bian ji dian (2001) - Taiwan

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 25th, 2020, 5:31 pm

72. [Hong Kong] Xing xing yue liang tai yang: xia (1961)

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 25th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 1:47 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 1:36 pm
47. Tian jiang xiong shi a.k.a. Dragon Blade (Daniel Lee, 2015) [China/Hong Kong]
You know, I can safely say that I've never thought to myself 'You know what this over-the-hill Jackie Chan military period epic needs? JOHN CUSACK'.
:poshclap:

The many ways China has tried to court Western audience these part two decades (but mostly the last one) have been fun to follow. Dumping their biggest actors in Hollywood films, flying over popular Hollywood actors to star in their films, full-on producing Hollywood films, drawing Hollywood productions to China, hiring behind-the-camera Hollywood talent to help make their films. Nothing works though.

:D
You mean The Great Wall with Matt Damon wasn't a huge cultural phenomenon? :lol:

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 25th, 2020, 6:40 pm

73. [Hong Kong] Mo jong yuen So Hak Yee (1992)

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 25th, 2020, 7:04 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 6:33 pm
You mean The Great Wall with Matt Damon wasn't a huge cultural phenomenon? :lol:
Haha, just one of many though. Kevin Spacey, Michael Douglas, Hugh Jackman... They've all been there.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 25th, 2020, 7:27 pm

26. Old Well / Lao TIng (Tian-Ming Wu, 1986) [China] 8
Two villages fight over an old well while social conventions separate a man from the woman he loves. Very ambitious formally, Old Well is almost a shakespearean drama that transcends the usual chronicle of rural China and is well worth its reputation of precursor to the 5th generation movies.

My women in action #9

27. A Time to Live, a Time to Die / Tóngnián wangshì Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1985) [Taiwan] [Rewatch] 6 (=)
I thought the BR quality would help me to re-evaluate this. Directing maestria is certainly there, as in The Boys from Fengkuei. But I just could not care for any of the character or side stories. I felt HHH stripped off any emotion just to keep frozen, unattainable pictures from the past. A very personal piece, maybe too personal. The litteral translation of the chinese title is Childhood Memories: A time to Live... is a great title but an oversell.

28. Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks - Rust (Bing Wang, 2002) [China] 8-
Rust first part (Rust itself being the first film of the trilogy) has amazing sequences in a Dantesque copper factory which set the scene of a dying state-owned industry in North East China at the turn of the century. The second part is filled with less interesting chronicles and feels a little repetitive, the whole cloking in at 4 hours. Bing's ability to follow workers in the intimacy of work, grabbing interactions with colleagues, concerns for the future, trapped in a failed economic environment, is truly a great piece of documentary.

My women in action #10

the time to watch and the time to watch againShow
1. Tears of the Yang-Tse / Yi jiang chun shui xiang dong liu [China] 6-
The historical context and moral dilemma were promising but dramatization is really over the top, and tiring at +180mins.
2. Running Out of Time / Am zin (Johnnie To, 1999) [HK] 7
Efficient direction for this cat-and-mouse game between a police negotiator and a singular thief. Has on top the typical, somehow formuleic, HK blend of drama, romance and comedy.
3. Cute Girl / Jiu shi liu liu de ta (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1980) [Taiwan] 7-
I will start exploring my BR boxset of HHH early films (Carlotta). Cute Girl, his first fim, has not much of the social realism and uncompromising formalism of his future works but it is quite amusing to see premices of his style including distant composition of countryside landscapes, off-camera scenes and long takes. Besides, if you can tolerate the genre, it is a nice, little rom-com.
Quality of the restaured pictures is really great so I am looking forward to the next.

My women in action #1

4. A Yangtze Landscape (Xu Xin, 2017) [China] 6
Striking B&W visuals, contemplating the flow of industrial vessels sailing from Shanghai up the river. Where this documentary doesn't fully succeed is in connecting the onshore sequences that pause on impoverished inhabitants nearby. They are clearly stuck where everything moves around them - who they are, how they landed on there and how they survive would have been worth exploring deeper.
5. Dumplings / Gau ji (Fruit Chan, 2004)[HK] 7-
Enjoyable horror drama which focuses on the social and moral horror of the protagonists rather than its fantasy. A fine performance by the two lead actresses, with a very believable appetite for youth. Plot could have been less linear and characterization deeper.

My women in action #2

6. Cities of Last Things (Wi Ding Ho, 2018) [Taiwan] 5
Messy story telling as if director wanted a Chinese Cloud Atlas and changed his mind for Rebels of the Neon God after 20 mins, without caring much for losing the viewers on the way. Saved somehow by a few decent drama segments and acting.

7. The Missing Gun / Xun qiang (Chuan Lu, 2002) [China] 7+
Fun thriller. This is the debut feature of Chuan Lu and there is a lot he wants to show as a director, sometimes abusing from camera effects and editing but overall it gives a lot of pace to the action. Wen Jiang is excellent as always; from stupidness to cold determination, he really has a broad acting range.

8. The Green, Green Grass of Home / Zai na he pan qing cao qing (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1982) [Taiwan] 6+
Continuing with HHH earlies, this one revolves around an elementary school in the countryside where a teacher from Taipei comes as a substitute and try to blend in - a connection between rural and urban that HHH will explore in many films. Whereas there are still some comedy elements you can sense HHH is now slowing down the action for more contemplative sequences and focusing on developing intertwining stories that only resolve at the end with a converging subtext. It got me only mildly engaged though.

9. Armour of God / Lung hing foo dai (Jackie Chan, 1986) [HK] 4
Boring and mediocre - Jackie Chan trying to be half-Indiana Jones half-James Bond through Europe and failing in both. I am not a huge fan of his films anyway but there was one single exciting stunt - in cars, which for a JC movie is kind of lackluster to say the least.

10. The Ditch / Jiabiangou (Bing Wang, 2010) [China] 8-
Essential companion of Dead Souls (2018), as a fiction made from the same harrowing testimonies Bing kept collecting about Rightists re-education camps under Mao's era.

My women in action #3

11. The Eagle Shooting Heroes / Se diu ying hung: Dung sing sai jau (Jeffrey Lau, 1993) [HK] 5
Frantic comedy and action got me tired after twenty minutes, multiple characters and convoluted plot did not help to restore attention
12. Secret Love in Peach Blossom Land / An lian tao hua yuan (Stan Lai, 1993) [Taiwan] 8
Two stage companies rent mistakenly the same theater for their final rehearsal night: this is an exciting concept as we got to see the two plays and the backstage discussions where characters and stories eventually blend. There is wit in the dialogues, subtle intertwined drama, Rivette and Allen came to mind. Great direction and photography as well, lot of care with framing/composing, a new favourite !
My women in action #4

13. Nezha Conquers the Dragon King / Nezha nao hai (Shuchen Wang, Jingda Xu, Ding Xian Yan, 1979) [China] 7
Chinese anime based on a traditional tale: the story line involving a fight between various devils and an innoncent hero is nothing surprising but it served well by the colorization work and the soundtrack.
14. An Autumn's Tale / Chou tin dik tong wah (Mabel Cheung, 1987) [HK] 7+
It has all the predictability of a HK romance of course but there is the charm of Chow Yun-Fat/Cherie Chung and a wonderful effort in make everything believable in New York 80s, emphasizing the cultural clash and distance which all in all makes it a very enjoyable experience.
My women in action #5

15. All the Youthful Days aka The Boys from Fengkuei / Feng gui lai de ren (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1983) [Taiwan] 8-
HHH is getting to more personal work, recalling his teenagehood. What could have been just another film about idle, young thugs in a suburban city is magnified by the careful selection of scenes, alternating youthful energy and contemplative drama, and above all amazing camera work. His way to take distance from his protagonists to frame them in their environment is truly amazing.
16. The Swordsman in Double Flag Town / Shuang-Qi-Zhen daoke (Ping He, 1991) [China] 7-
I am probably a little generous with this rating. The Swordsman... is an odd mix of genres between wuxia and western with some drops of ethnic drama. It has some magic though thanks to Gobi's desert setting and keeping the art of his young protagonist mysterious.
17. Fist of Fury / Jing wu men (Wei Lo, 1972) [HK] 5+
It is decent action, the faces and screams of Bruce Lee are just too annoying.

My women in action #6

18. Uniform / Zhifu (Yi'nan Diao, 2003) [China] 7
Debut of Black Coal, Thin Ice and The Wild Goose Lake director, Uniform is already marked by some neo-noirish settings and mood even if the story is essentially a take on economic crisis, social disintegration and how people try to save appearances and dignity - reminiscent of Dardennes and Loach work.
19. Out of the Dark / Wui wan yeh (Jeffrey Lau, 1995) [HK] 7
Simply hilarious as a zany comedy, at least in the first half, too bad it drags severely in the second.
Talking about influence from Léon: The Professional:

20. Taipei Story / Qing mei zhu ma (Edward Yang, 1985) [Taiwan] 7+
I thought I was breaking away from HHH with another Taiwan New Wave director but I realized he is the lead actor here... and not too convincingly, his character and storyline really pulled me off. Fortunately Edward Yang cinematography filming Taipei and the female protagonist is great, in the same vein as in the Terrorizers, with some amazing work on light, perspectives, flows. I probably need to let it sink a little.

My women in action #7

21. China Behind / Zai jian Zhongguo (Shu Shuen Tong, 1978) [HK] 8-
Mao's Cultural Revolution told as a frightening dystopia, yet in a very realistic setting. We get to follow the nerve-cracking journey of Chinese students trying to escape mainland for HK and feel for them all along. The poor copy I have watched is probably not doing justice to cinematography, there is enough I could glimpse to realize it is very carefully executed though.

22. Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy / Yip Man ngoi zyun: Cheung Tin Chi (Woo-ping Yuen, 2018) [HK] 6
Classy cast - Jin Zhang, Dave Bautista, Michelle Yeoh, and the fights between these three dont disappoint. Deserved a better script.

23. Mr. Zhao / Zhao xiansheng (Yue Lü, 1998) [China] 6+
A man has an accident, falls unconscious and recall his recent days torn between two women. It is not Claude Sautet's Les Choses de la Vie, actually it is not told in that same order but that is the same cinema, realistic take on men/women relationships, what a couple is, choices and non-choices, in sequences edited with flair. The cast left me disengaged too often unfortunately.

24. Last Laugh (Tao Zhang, 2017) [China] 7-
Cruel and tender take on a chinese family in rural China trying to get rid of their elderly mother. Sometimes too much of a dry documentary, the cast is really making it worth and the mystery of the irrepressible laugh is a really good plot.

25. Winter Vacation (Hongqi Li, 2010) [China] 6+
Formally very interesting with its static shots, slow pace and minimalist if not cryptic dialogues, all to stress than nothing ever changes in this part of China. After a while it regrettably feels a little forced and running in circle.
My women in action #8
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » June 25th, 2020, 9:13 pm

17. Guan shi yin (The Goddess of Mercy, Shin Sang-ok & Lim Won-shik, 1967) 7/10 (Hong Kong)
18. The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (Roy Ward Baker & Chang Cheh, 1974) 6.5/10 (Hong Kong)

Li Li Hua as The Goddess of Mercy - Amitabha bodhisattva - Side Challenge 2: "A woman or women in action" - image # 7

SpoilerShow
1. Wutai jiemei (Two Stage Sisters, Xie Jin, 1964) 8.5/10 (China)
2. Tian xia di yi jian (The Fastest Sword, Pan Lei, 1968) 8/10 (Taiwan/Hong Kong)
3. Yi dai jian wang (The Swordsman of All Swordsmen, Joseph Kuo, 1968) 7.5/10 (Taiwan)
4. Du zhan (Drug War, Johnnie To, 2012) 8/10 (Hong Kong/China)
5. Yu tang chun (The Story of Sue San, King Hu, 1964) 8/10 (Hong Kong)
6. Bian cheng san xia (The Magnificent Trio, Chang Cheh, 1966) 7.5/10 (Hong Kong) (Side Challenge 1: The pick master - ororama)
7. Long men jin jian (The Golden Sword, Lo Wei, 1969) 7.5/10 (Hong Kong)
8. Ni na bian ji dian (What Time Is It There?, Tsai Ming-liang, 2001) 9/10 (Taiwan) (RV)
9. Yu mei ren (The Mermaid, Kao Li, 1965) 8/10 (Hong Kong)
10. Po xiao shi fen (At Dawn, Li Han Hsiang & Sung Tsun-Shou, 1968) 9/10 (Taiwan)
11. Chuang (The Window, Patrick Lung Kong, 1968) 9/10 (Hong Kong)
12. Dong nuan (The Winter, Li Han Hsiang, 1969) 8/10 (Taiwan)
13. Sha ji chong chong (Death Traps, Wang Tian-Lin, 1960) 8/10 (Hong Kong)
14. Wang Zhao Jun (Beyond the Great Wall, Li Han Hsiang, 1964) 9/10 (Hong Kong)
15. Yu luo cha (The Jade Raksha, Ho Meng Hua, 1968) 7.5/10 (Hong Kong)
16. Yang chi/Karate, Küsse, blonde Katzen (Virgins of the Seven Seas, Kuei Chih-Hung & Ernst Hofbauer, 1974) 7/10 (Hong Kong)

RBG

Post by RBG » June 25th, 2020, 9:33 pm

SpoilerShow
1. am zin 2/running out of time 2 - johnnie to (2001) hk
2. kong zhong xiao jie/air hostess - wen yi (1959) hk
3. wu lin sheng huo jin/holy flame of the martial world - chun-ku lu (1983) hk
4. rang zi dan fei/let the bullets fly - wen jiang (2010) hk
5. shang hai zhi yen/shanghai blues - hark tsui (1984) hk -- rewatch 😭

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 26th, 2020, 12:10 am

74. [China] Er shi si cheng ji (2008)
75. [Hong Kong] Long zhi ren zhe (1982)
76. [Tawain] Ce ma ru lin (1985)

wasabi

Post by wasabi » June 26th, 2020, 3:52 am

20. Guang yin de gu shi /In Our Time(1982, Taiwan)
I liked the first 2 stories more than the last 2.
SpoilerShow
1. A Lingering Face/Fei Chang Xia Ri (2000) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257664/
2. 2. Xin Niang/The Bride(2009, China) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2137352/
3-4. The Romance of Tiger and Rose EP 1 -- EP 7 (2020, China) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12299432/
5. (rewatch)Hu Lu Xiong Di/Calabash Brothers (1986, China) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7046962/
6. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 1
7. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 2
8. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 3
9. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 4
10. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 5
11. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 6
12. Yinyang jie (1974 HK)https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243671/
13. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 7
14. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 8
15. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 9
16. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 10
17. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 11
18. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 12
19. Summer Palace/Yi He Yuan(2006 China)

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » June 26th, 2020, 9:25 am

5. Jiao you (2013) Stray Dogs 9 Taiwan
看过Show
1. Cui hua du jiang tou (1975) The Magic Curse 6 Hong Kong
2. Xie zhou (1982) Curse of Evil 7 Hong Kong
3. Pan si dong (1967) The Cave of the Silken Web 4 Hong Kong
4. Kong bu fen zi (1986) The Terrorizers 8 Taiwan

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 26th, 2020, 11:02 am

77. [Hong Kong] Jin yan zi (1968)
78. [Hong Kong] Yi tin to lung gei: Moh gaau gaau jue (1993)

ororama

Post by ororama » June 26th, 2020, 11:47 am

cinephage wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 1:09 pm
06. Tau ban no hoi / Boat People, by Ann Hui (1982) 9/10 - Hong Kong

As I slowly explore her work, my love for Ann Hui's cinema increases with each movie. What an artist
Love in a Fallen City is the only one of her films that I have seen, and is my favorite Hong Kong movie (#12 on my all time favorite movies). It would be on an official list, but it took Kozu quite a while to do The Best Hong Kong Films Ever poll on LoveHKFilm, and I stopped checking after a while, until after the voting was over and the results were about to be posted. If I hadn't missed the vote, Love in a Fallen City and two other movies would have made the list. It has lots of talking in the first half, action in the second half.

I have been meaning to watch more films by Ann Hui. I won't got to any this month, but hopefully will watch a couple during the next Directed by Women challenge.

ororama

Post by ororama » June 26th, 2020, 11:51 am

6. Till the End of Time (1966) * 108 min. (Hong Kong)

Predictable melodrama, but beautiful Jenny Hu was quite convincing as the devoted wife.

SpoilerShow
1. The Magnificent Trio (Chang Cheh, 1966) * 104 min. (Hong Kong)
2. Black Coal, Thin Ice (Diao Yinan, 2014) * 109 min. (China)
3.The Enchanting Ghost (1970) * 85 min. (Hong Kong)
4. The Bride from Hell (1972) 79 min. (Hong Kong)
5. The Ghost Lovers (1974) * 92 min. (Hong Kong)

*First time viewing.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 26th, 2020, 1:41 pm

49. Dragons Never Die (Chi-Hwa Chen, 1986) [Hong Kong]
Here we have an obscure grindhouse kung fu flick that has a nice variety of action with a little silliness mixed in. Of particular note is a bizarre dream sequence in the middle of the movie that you really don't typically see in films like this.

50. Gui xin niang a.k.a. The Bride from Hell (Hsu-Chiang Chou, 1972) [Hong Kong/Taiwan]
A decent but not exemplary Shaw Bros. horror movie involving a man who marries a woman presumed to be a ghost seeking revenge for her rape and murder 20 years prior. The villagers are immediately suspicious (almost shockingly so) and the husband is incredibly dense and useless for most of the movie. It also has a fat, bumbling character who feels out of place in this kind of story. The movie does have some nice eerie moments at times but the script is just too dumb for the movie to rise above mediocrity.

51. The Farewell (Lulu Wang, 2019) [China]
It's interesting that a China/US co-production has given me more of a sense of Chinese culture and identity in its characters than 90% of the movies I've watched this month. It succeeds at being both somber and funny in places and is beautifully shot and acted by pretty much everyone involved. Definitely one of the better films I've seen this month.
SpoilerShow
1. Fang Shiyu yu Hong Xiguan a.k.a. Heroes Two (Cheh Chang, 1974) [Hong Kong]
2. Dung che sai duk a.k.a. Ashes of Time (Kar-Wai Wong, 1994)[Hong Hong/Taiwan]
3. Gu a.k.a. Bewitched (Chih-Hung Kuei, 1981) [Hong Kong]
4. Lung men bei chi a.k.a. Bruce's Deadly Fingers (Joseph Kong, 1976) [Hong Kong]
5. Geung si a.k.a. Rigor Mortis (Juno Mak, 2013) [Hong Kong]
6. Sai yau gei: Yut gwong bou haap a.k.a. A Chinese Odyssey Part One: Pandora's Box (Jeffrey Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong/China]
7. Sai yau gei: Sin leui kei yun a.k.a. A Chinese Odyssey: Part Two - Cinderella (Jeffrey Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong]
8. Wong Fei Hung III: Si wong jaang ba a.k.a. Once Upon A Time In China III (Hark Tsui, 1992) [Hong Kong]
9. Dong fu ren a.k.a. The Arch (Shu Shuen Tong, 1968) [Hong Kong]
10. Miao jie gu shi a.k.a. Mean Street Story (Andrew Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong]
11. Flight of the Red Balloon (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, 2007) [Taiwan]
12. Shan zhong zhuan qi a.k.a. Legend of the Mountain (King Hu, 1979) [Taiwan/Hong Kong]
13. Zhan lang a.k.a. Wolf Warrior (Jing Wu, 2015) [China]
14a. Chunyi: Legend of Kung Fu (Su Shijin, 2006) [China]
14b. Big Fish & Chinese Flowering Crabapple (Liang Xuan and Zhang Chun, 2004) [China]
14c. Ouran a.k.a. Accidentally (John Woo, 1968) [Hong Kong]
14d. Hua yang de nian hua (Kar-Wai Wong, 2000) [Hong Kong/China]
15. Ne Zha zhi mo tong jiang shi a.k.a. Ne Zha (Yu Yang, 2019) [China]
16. Gwai wik a.k.a. Re-Cycle (Pang Brothers, 2006) [Hong Kong]
17. Tai gik Cheung Sam Fung a.k.a. Tai Chi Master (Woo-Ping Yuen, 1993) [Hong Kong]
18. Hak se wui a.k.a. Election (Johnnie To, 2005) [Hong Kong]
19. Zhong hua zhang fu a.k.a. Heroes of the East (Chia-Liang Liu, 1978) [Hong Kong]
20. Liàn liàn fengchén a.k.a. Dust in the Wind (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, 1986) [Taiwan]
21. Gong woo a.k.a. Triad Underworld (Ching-Po Wong, 2004) [Hong Kong]
22. Xie mo a.k.a. The Devil (Jen-Chieh Chang, 1981) [Taiwan/Hong Kong]
23. Ai qing wan sui a.k.a. Vive L'Amour (Ming-liang Tsai, 1994) [Taiwan]
24. Ninja Terminator (1985)
25. Long quan she shou a.k.a. Dragon's Showdown (1980)
26. Thunder Ninja Kids in the Golden Adventure (1992)
27. Xi yang tian shi a.k.a. So Close (2002)
28. Hak se wui: Yi woo wai kwai a.k.a. Triad Election (Johnnie To, 2006) [Hong Kong]
29. Shi yue wei cheng a.k.a. Bodyguards and Assassins (Teddy Chan, 2009) [China/Hong Kong]
30. Hai shang hua a.k.a. Flowers of Shanghai (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1998) [Taiwan]
31. Chu nu jiang a.k.a. Cannibal Curse (Yeung Kong, 1988) [Hong Kong]
32. San xia hao ren a.k.a. Still Life (Zhangke Jia, 2006) [China/Hong Kong]
33. Se ying diu sau a.k.a. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (Woo-Ping Yuen, 1978) [Hong Kong]
34. Chin gei bin II: Faa dou dai zin a.k.a. The Twins Effect II (Patrick Leung/Corey Yuen, 2003) [Hong Kong/China]
35. Wong Gok ka moon a.k.a. As Tears Go By ( Kar-Wai Wong, 1988) [Hong Kong]
36. Gam yuk fung wan a.k.a. Prison on Fire (Ringo Lam, 1987) [Hong Kong]
37. Chi bi a.k.a. Red Cliff (John Woo, 2008) [China/Hong Kong/Taiwan]
38. Zui hao de shi guang a.k.a. Three Times (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 2005) [Taiwan]
39. Tun Men se mo a.k.a. The Rapist ( Chuen-Yee Cha, 1994) [Hong Kong]
40. Dayu haitang a.k.a. Big Fish & Begonia (Xuan Liang/Chun Zhang, 2016) [China]
41. Jin bei tong a.k.a. The Kid With The Golden Arm (Cheh Chang, 1979) [Hong Kong]
42. Tu Bian Ying Xiong Leaf a.k.a. To Be Heroine E1-7 (Li Haoling, 2018) [China]
43. Cai li fa xiao zi a.k.a. The New Shaolin Boxers (Cheh Chang/Wu Ma, 1976) [Taiwan/Hong Kong]
44. Tian zhu ding a.k.a. A Touch of Sin (Zhangke Jia, 2013) [China]
45. Qing mei zhu ma a.k.a. Taipei Story (Edward Yang, 1985) [Taiwan]
46. Zhan lang II a.k.a. Wolf Warrior II (Jing Wu, 2017) [China]
48. He liu a.k.a. The River (Ming-liang Tsai, 1997) [Taiwan]
50. Gui xin niang a.k.a. The Bride from Hell (Hsu-Chiang Chou, 1972) [Hong Kong/Taiwan]

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » June 26th, 2020, 1:48 pm

ororama wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 11:47 am
cinephage wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 1:09 pm
06. Tau ban no hoi / Boat People, by Ann Hui (1982) 9/10 - Hong Kong

As I slowly explore her work, my love for Ann Hui's cinema increases with each movie. What an artist
Love in a Fallen City is the only one of her films that I have seen, and is my favorite Hong Kong movie (#12 on my all time favorite movies). It would be on an official list, but it took Kozu quite a while to do The Best Hong Kong Films Ever poll on LoveHKFilm, and I stopped checking after a while, until after the voting was over and the results were about to be posted. If I hadn't missed the vote, Love in a Fallen City and two other movies would have made the list. It has lots of talking in the first half, action in the second half.

I have been meaning to watch more films by Ann Hui. I won't got to any this month, but hopefully will watch a couple during the next Directed by Women challenge.
Thanks for the recommendation, this will probably be the next of her film I watch, then... :cheers:

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 26th, 2020, 1:53 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 1:41 pm
It's interesting that a China/US co-production has given me more of a sense of Chinese culture and identity in its characters than 90% of the movies I've watched this month.
I am quite surprised how many choices default to martial arts cinema for this region. Why not try something like Heiward Mak's Fagara? Or Jenny Suen/Christopher Doyle's White Girl?

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 26th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 1:53 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
It's interesting that a China/US co-production has given me more of a sense of Chinese culture and identity in its characters than 90% of the movies I've watched this month.
I am quite surprised how many choices default to martial arts cinema for this region. Why not try something like Heiward Mak's Fagara? Or Jenny Suen/Christopher Doyle's White Girl?
For me personally, my big focus on these challenges is mainly watching what I have in my unwatched stacks on DVD and Blu-ray. The reality is that martial arts, action and period epics tend to be the biggest exports from China to the US it seems, so inevitably I end up watching quite a few of those.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 26th, 2020, 2:49 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 2:00 pm
For me personally, my big focus on these challenges is mainly watching what I have in my unwatched stacks on DVD and Blu-ray. The reality is that martial arts, action and period epics tend to be the biggest exports from China to the US it seems, so inevitably I end up watching quite a few of those.
Well yeah, I get it. But Pixar & Michael Bay are some of the biggest exports of US cinema, it would be weird to see people en mass convert to that kind of cinema if we'd ever to a US challenge. It's a bit of a self-sustaining loop, while there's so much else out there :)

It's no critique to specific people though, just an overall observation.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 26th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Drunken ChallengeShow

30. Drunken Master (1978) Hong Kong

Most of Jackie Chan's fights are impressive here, especially an early bit where an unarmed Chan outsmarts a swordsman and beats him with the blunt end of his own blade. Playing an arrogant and conceited guy who never softens though, Chan is unfortunately thoroughly dislikeable here, with some particularly reprehensible treatment and mockery of women. Yuen Siu Tin fares better as the title character, but he does not appear for 38 minutes.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 26th, 2020, 5:10 pm

22. Hai shang hua (1998) - Taiwan

SpoilerShow
02. Proposition (2012) + Tricycle Thief (2014) + Death of a Parrot (2015) + The Identity of the Portuguese Egg Tart (2015) + The Great Debt (2016) + CaCa: I Want Cat to Say Yes (2017) + O Cravo (2017) + Desireland, Multiverse (2020) - Macao
16. Ouran (1968) + Sijie (1968) + Hua yang de nian hua (2000) + There's Only One Sun (2007) + 1 Dimension (2013) + Christopher Doyle: Filming in the Neon World (2014) - Hong Kong

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 26th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Onderhond wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 2:49 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
Well yeah, I get it. But Pixar & Michael Bay are some of the biggest exports of US cinema, it would be weird to see people en mass convert to that kind of cinema if we'd ever to a US challenge. It's a bit of a self-sustaining loop, while there's so much else out there :)

It's no critique to specific people though, just an overall observation.
I feel like I've watched some more obscure things than a lot of people on here personally. Yes, there's junk like Wolf Warrior but I tend to watch a lot of random cult and horror stuff as well like The Devil and Cannibal Curse.

Also given the relationship to ICM, a lot of movies watched here are probably going to be official checks as well, many of which for China skew toward martial arts and mainstream action films (I mean, there's a whole top martial arts list that I'm sure several people have been working on, myself included).

Also I'd hope we don't ever do a US challenge since like half the challenges are basically US challenges anyway :)

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 26th, 2020, 6:30 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
It's interesting that a China/US co-production has given me more of a sense of Chinese culture and identity in its characters than 90% of the movies I've watched this month. It succeeds at being both somber and funny in places and is beautifully shot and acted by pretty much everyone involved. Definitely one of the better films I've seen this month.
I must say I had the same reaction as Onderhond... There are hundreds of Chinese films that could fill your appetite for local culture and identity and that are not HK action flicks :) (nothing wrong with HK action btw) .
And I disliked The Farewell. I found it simplistic with character development and calibrated for US politically-correct standards. It never occured to me it was actually a Chinese co-production.

ImageImageImageImage

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 26th, 2020, 9:40 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 6:30 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
I must say I had the same reaction as Onderhond... There are hundreds of Chinese films that could fill your appetite for local culture and identity and that are not HK action flicks :) (nothing wrong with HK action btw) .
And I disliked The Farewell. I found it simplistic with character development and calibrated for US politically-correct standards. It never occured to me it was actually a Chinese co-production.
I don't think it was calibrated for anything. From what I read and heard, it's pretty closely based on the director's personal experience. Not sure what you mean by "US politically-correct standards" either. I mean, the character development is pretty simple, but it was just one trip. I wouldn't expect a ton of character development in real life in the course of just a few days. Basically it's sad then you move on. I definitely felt it had more real character development than something like He Liu which was just ridiculous. Now if you want to talk about a film specifically calibrated to expose Asian culture for US sensibilities in a non-threatening way, Crazy Rich Asians fits the bill much more so to me.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 26th, 2020, 10:39 pm

79. [Hong Kong] Hao xia (1979)
80. [Hong Kong] Wu guan (1981)
81. [Hong Kong] Kei moon duen gap (1982)
82. [Hong Kong] Ji dong qi xia (1989)

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 27th, 2020, 8:55 am

flavo5000 wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 9:40 pm
hurluberlu wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 6:30 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
I don't think it was calibrated for anything. From what I read and heard, it's pretty closely based on the director's personal experience. Not sure what you mean by "US politically-correct standards" either. I mean, the character development is pretty simple, but it was just one trip. I wouldn't expect a ton of character development in real life in the course of just a few days. Basically it's sad then you move on. I definitely felt it had more real character development than something like He Liu which was just ridiculous. Now if you want to talk about a film specifically calibrated to expose Asian culture for US sensibilities in a non-threatening way, Crazy Rich Asians fits the bill much more so to me.
Whatever the story and timeline covered there is always room for depth. Here the plot and character descriptions would fit on the back of an envelope.
I haven't seen Crazy Rich... but I believe you.

ImageImageImageImage

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 27th, 2020, 10:34 am

hurluberlu wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 8:55 am
I haven't seen Crazy Rich... but I believe you.
I have, it's pretty bad :D I'm definitely with flavo5000 on that one.

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 27th, 2020, 12:21 pm

52. Gui ying a.k.a. Baby Blues (Po-Chih Leong, 2013) [Hong Kong/China]
This evil doll movie was just terrible with paper thin, dirt stupid characters, bad effects and editing, a dumb script and bad acting. I honestly can't think of any reason to recommend watching this unless it's to make fun of it.
SpoilerShow
1. Fang Shiyu yu Hong Xiguan a.k.a. Heroes Two (Cheh Chang, 1974) [Hong Kong]
2. Dung che sai duk a.k.a. Ashes of Time (Kar-Wai Wong, 1994)[Hong Hong/Taiwan]
3. Gu a.k.a. Bewitched (Chih-Hung Kuei, 1981) [Hong Kong]
4. Lung men bei chi a.k.a. Bruce's Deadly Fingers (Joseph Kong, 1976) [Hong Kong]
5. Geung si a.k.a. Rigor Mortis (Juno Mak, 2013) [Hong Kong]
6. Sai yau gei: Yut gwong bou haap a.k.a. A Chinese Odyssey Part One: Pandora's Box (Jeffrey Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong/China]
7. Sai yau gei: Sin leui kei yun a.k.a. A Chinese Odyssey: Part Two - Cinderella (Jeffrey Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong]
8. Wong Fei Hung III: Si wong jaang ba a.k.a. Once Upon A Time In China III (Hark Tsui, 1992) [Hong Kong]
9. Dong fu ren a.k.a. The Arch (Shu Shuen Tong, 1968) [Hong Kong]
10. Miao jie gu shi a.k.a. Mean Street Story (Andrew Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong]
11. Flight of the Red Balloon (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, 2007) [Taiwan]
12. Shan zhong zhuan qi a.k.a. Legend of the Mountain (King Hu, 1979) [Taiwan/Hong Kong]
13. Zhan lang a.k.a. Wolf Warrior (Jing Wu, 2015) [China]
14a. Chunyi: Legend of Kung Fu (Su Shijin, 2006) [China]
14b. Big Fish & Chinese Flowering Crabapple (Liang Xuan and Zhang Chun, 2004) [China]
14c. Ouran a.k.a. Accidentally (John Woo, 1968) [Hong Kong]
14d. Hua yang de nian hua (Kar-Wai Wong, 2000) [Hong Kong/China]
15. Ne Zha zhi mo tong jiang shi a.k.a. Ne Zha (Yu Yang, 2019) [China]
16. Gwai wik a.k.a. Re-Cycle (Pang Brothers, 2006) [Hong Kong]
17. Tai gik Cheung Sam Fung a.k.a. Tai Chi Master (Woo-Ping Yuen, 1993) [Hong Kong]
18. Hak se wui a.k.a. Election (Johnnie To, 2005) [Hong Kong]
19. Zhong hua zhang fu a.k.a. Heroes of the East (Chia-Liang Liu, 1978) [Hong Kong]
20. Liàn liàn fengchén a.k.a. Dust in the Wind (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, 1986) [Taiwan]
21. Gong woo a.k.a. Triad Underworld (Ching-Po Wong, 2004) [Hong Kong]
22. Xie mo a.k.a. The Devil (Jen-Chieh Chang, 1981) [Taiwan/Hong Kong]
23. Ai qing wan sui a.k.a. Vive L'Amour (Ming-liang Tsai, 1994) [Taiwan]
24. Ninja Terminator (1985)
25. Long quan she shou a.k.a. Dragon's Showdown (1980)
26. Thunder Ninja Kids in the Golden Adventure (1992)
27. Xi yang tian shi a.k.a. So Close (2002)
28. Hak se wui: Yi woo wai kwai a.k.a. Triad Election (Johnnie To, 2006) [Hong Kong]
29. Shi yue wei cheng a.k.a. Bodyguards and Assassins (Teddy Chan, 2009) [China/Hong Kong]
30. Hai shang hua a.k.a. Flowers of Shanghai (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1998) [Taiwan]
31. Chu nu jiang a.k.a. Cannibal Curse (Yeung Kong, 1988) [Hong Kong]
32. San xia hao ren a.k.a. Still Life (Zhangke Jia, 2006) [China/Hong Kong]
33. Se ying diu sau a.k.a. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (Woo-Ping Yuen, 1978) [Hong Kong]
34. Chin gei bin II: Faa dou dai zin a.k.a. The Twins Effect II (Patrick Leung/Corey Yuen, 2003) [Hong Kong/China]
35. Wong Gok ka moon a.k.a. As Tears Go By ( Kar-Wai Wong, 1988) [Hong Kong]
36. Gam yuk fung wan a.k.a. Prison on Fire (Ringo Lam, 1987) [Hong Kong]
37. Chi bi a.k.a. Red Cliff (John Woo, 2008) [China/Hong Kong/Taiwan]
38. Zui hao de shi guang a.k.a. Three Times (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 2005) [Taiwan]
39. Tun Men se mo a.k.a. The Rapist ( Chuen-Yee Cha, 1994) [Hong Kong]
40. Dayu haitang a.k.a. Big Fish & Begonia (Xuan Liang/Chun Zhang, 2016) [China]
41. Jin bei tong a.k.a. The Kid With The Golden Arm (Cheh Chang, 1979) [Hong Kong]
42. Tu Bian Ying Xiong Leaf a.k.a. To Be Heroine E1-7 (Li Haoling, 2018) [China]
43. Cai li fa xiao zi a.k.a. The New Shaolin Boxers (Cheh Chang/Wu Ma, 1976) [Taiwan/Hong Kong]
44. Tian zhu ding a.k.a. A Touch of Sin (Zhangke Jia, 2013) [China]
45. Qing mei zhu ma a.k.a. Taipei Story (Edward Yang, 1985) [Taiwan]
46. Zhan lang II a.k.a. Wolf Warrior II (Jing Wu, 2017) [China]
48. He liu a.k.a. The River (Ming-liang Tsai, 1997) [Taiwan]
52. Gui ying a.k.a. Baby Blues (Po-Chih Leong, 2013) [Hong Kong/China]

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 27th, 2020, 1:43 pm

83. [Hong Kong] Siu ngo gong woo: Dung Fong Bat Bai (1992)
84. [Hong Kong] Jie zi zhan shi (1992)
85. [Hong Kong] Tien ya ming yue dao (1976)

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 27th, 2020, 4:06 pm

23. Du bei dao (1967) - Hong Kong

SpoilerShow

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » June 27th, 2020, 4:07 pm

flavo5000 wrote:
Onderhond wrote:
flavo5000 wrote:
That's my reason also why I almost only watched martial arts and action movies for this challenge. Like I said at the start of this challenge I'm dumbfounded by how few other (older) Chinese movies have a proper blu ray release here.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » June 27th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Singing and Swordfighting and suchShow

Grace Chang quartet

1. Man Bo nu lang / Mambo Girl (Wen Yi, 1957) HONG KONG
2. Qing chun er nu / Spring Song (Wen Yi, 1959) HONG KONG
3. Kong zhong xiao jie / Air Hostess (Wen Yi, 1959) HONG KONG
4. Liu yue xin niang / The June Bride (Huang Tang, 1960) HONG KONG
5. Kuai can che / Wheels on Meals (Sammo Hung, 1984) HONG KONG
6. Ching nu yu hun / The Enchanting Shadow (Han Hsiang Li, 1960) HONG KONG
7. Qian jiao bai mei / Les Belles (Ching Doe, 1961) HONG KONG
8. Bai she zhuan / Madame White Snake (Feng Yueh, 1962) HONG KONG
9. Wutei jiemei / Two Stage Sisters (Jin Xie, 1964) CHINA
10. Da nao tian gong / The Monkey King / Uproar in Heaven (Wan Laiming/Cheng Tang, 1963) CHINA[/spoiler]

I think this is the first film I've seen based on Journey to the West, and the titular character, one of the protagonists of this 16th-century classic of Chinese literature. There are dozens of film and tv adaptations, comics, etc; I just looked at a couple of Wiki pages and realized I'd have to set aside a bit of time if I want to learn more - this is a huge monument in Chinese culture. Anyway this 2-hour mainland animated film looks to be about the third adaptation - there's a 1927 silent feature, and a 1941 animated film - and judging from what little I have read, and this film and one of the next few I watched, going through a bunch of these films would be a lot of fun, though reading the original work would probably be really helpful. Maybe next time we do this challenge...

Anyway this was a lot of fun, though it did start to feel a bit too much at times - animated action is something I usually don't want in large doses. The Monkey King goes off to find a great weapon suitable to his abilities, and when the gods notice his successful quest, he is taken up to Heaven in the hopes that being given responsibilities will calm him down and make him a better ruler to his own people and subject of the Jade Emperor. Things don't go well as he sabotages every position he's put in. Pretty good animation - probably better than anything else I've seen from the 60s actually - and nice production design.

11. Hu di bei / The Butterfly Chalice (Cheh Chang/Chiu Feng Yuan, 1965) HONG KONG

A young man, trained in martial arts and the son of a minor official, comes to the aid of an old fisherman who is being bullied in the marketplace, and accidentally kills the leader of the bullies, who turns out to be the son of a more significant official. Fleeing, the first man encounters the daughter of the now-deceased fisherman he had helped, and is protected by her - and of course they fall in love. Meanwhile his father is summoned by the lord whose son was killed and it's demanded that he produce his son - or lose his own life. Sounds fairly ordinary, but this is enlivened by it's musical elements, and the typical Shaw Brothers production, which is especially lovely in the night-time sequences. This is right at the moment when the musical was giving way to martial arts, and is one of a few films in the mid-60s that incorporate both music and action fairly equally (though I'd say that this is primarily a musical overall). Not really great, and the sort of farcical elements that predominate in the last couple of reels were a bit odd, but certainly fun.

12. Bian cheng san xia / The Magnificent Trio (Cheh Chang, 1966) HONG KONG

Here we have another early Cheh Chang film, this one squarely in the martial arts realm, with a historical storyline that seems very archetypal, and could easily be re-imagined as a western, gangster or samurai film. A young swordsman, Lu (Jimmy Wang Yu), escaping from battle happens on a village where the local magistrate is starving the townspeople to death, and a small group of farmers have kidnapped his daughter in the hopes of bargaining with him. When his swordsmanship proves adequate to impress the magistrate, he calls on more experienced fights - but Lu manages to find aid himself in the form of a couple of other serious sword-masters - hence the title. This is solid stuff if, like some of the other stuff I've seen from this era, a little slow in the action by the standards of today (or even the 70s). It's the earliest film I can remember to have significant wirework, which is actually much better looking than I would have predicted.

13. Tie shan gong zhu / Princess Iron Fan (Meng Hua Ho, 1966) HONG KONG

Another film based on Journey to the West and the Monkey King, this makes references to several of the events and characters depicted in the 1963 Chinese animated film above, but I assume isn't in any way a "sequel". It starts out strong, with a young master, the Tang monk, and his three helpers - a pig-like man, a hairy bearded guy (if he's supposed to represent an animal, I didn't catch it), and the Monkey King - on a journey in which they have to pass the Fire Mountain, which can only be done by dealing with the titular Princess, whose magical Iron Fan can beat down the flames - or expand them. Then there are the two White Skeleton sisters to deal with, who want to eat the flesh of the Tang monk and gain immortality. This is notable for having a couple of moments of nudity - which I presume were as rare in HK cinema in the mid-60s as they were in most of the world - and for having more blood than most of the other films I've seen up to this point. It's plenty of fun at times but overall I have to say it was a bit grating in the end - the songs (yes, another semi-musical) seemed more out-of-place here, and the storylines overall a bit confusing and ultimately kind of dull. Still, with the usual Shaw production flare, worth seeing.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 27th, 2020, 7:36 pm

24. Tui shou (1991) - Taiwan

SpoilerShow
23. Du bei dao (1967) - Hong Kong

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 28th, 2020, 3:33 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 4:07 pm
flavo5000 wrote:
Onderhond wrote:

That's my reason also why I almost only watched martial arts and action movies for this challenge. Like I said at the start of this challenge I'm dumbfounded by how few other (older) Chinese movies have a proper blu ray release here.
And then there are those of us who actually really love kung fu movies. :$ It's a very kinetic film style with a lot of grace and beauty to it - certainly more so than the average US action film with tons of guns and explosions. I also like the fantasy-like element that really good wire fu work brings - characters flying through the air and performing near impossible stunts. It's all generally highly cinematic for me. While I burnt myself out last month by watching tons of western comedies, I feel like I could go for a half a year watching kung fu and wuxia films without getting exhausted at all...
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 28th, 2020, 3:39 am

Heroes of the ChallengeShow

31. Heroes of the East (1978) Hong Kong

:woot: SIDE CHALLENGE #1 - this was previously watched by flavo5000! --- :woot: SIDE CHALLENGE #2 - a woman in action

While the plot here often feels like a simple excuse for a whole lot of expertly choreographed fight scenes, the action is exciting and well-filmed with some great moments as Liu tries to adopt the "sneaky" ways of ninjutsu, even oiling himself up in a hilarious bit. The domestic squabbles are amusing too with Yuka Mizuno holding her own well as she constantly defeats her husband. Not sure how I feel about the film's anti-sneaky ninja agenda though.
Image Image Image

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » June 28th, 2020, 5:55 am

SpoilerShow
1. Us & Them [aka Hou lai de wo men] (2018, China) 6/10 Reminded me a lot of La La Land storywise. The end credits were pretty cute until the last card that left us on a sorrowful note.
2. Dear Ex (2018, Taiwan) 6/10 NETFLIX
3. Petition (2009, China) 6/10
4. Wutai jiemei/Two Stage Sisters / 舞台姐妹 (1964, China) 6/10
Side Challenge 1: Also seen by jdidaco
5. Pan si dong/The Cave of the Silken Web (1967, Hong Kong) 5/10
Side Challenge 1: Also seen by peeptoad
6. Fong juk / Exiled (2006, Hong Kong) 3/10

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 28th, 2020, 8:22 am

18. 2.0* - Happy Family [Fung Lau Ga Chuk] by Herman Yau [Hong Kong]

A mediocre comedy from Herman Yau. The early '00s weren't Yau's best period and it shows. Happy Family is a basic comedy that just hobbles along without ever making a worthwhile impression. It lacks Yau's typical edge and comes off as commercial filler in between more challenging projects.

The lead actors do a decent job, but the rest of the cast is well below par. Loudness and overacting are often confused for comedy, the soundtrack feels like a complete afterthought and the cinematography is plain and uninteresting. If you ever wondered what Hong Kong filler looks like, look no further.

The plot itself is slightly amusing though. It's not great, but at least it kept my attention until the end of the film. It's definitely not enough to actively recommend Happy Family, but I've sat through worse films. At least it's short and mildly amusing, at the same time it's also wildly plain and forgettable.

It's like discovering AmericaShow
01. 3.0* - Monster Hunt [Zhuo Yao Ji] by Raman Hui (2015) [China, Hong Kong]
02. 2.5* - Troublesome Night 6 [Yam Yeung Lo 6: Hung Chow Hon] by Herman Yau (1999) [Hong Kong]
03. 3.0* - Winner Takes All [Chak Wong Ji Wong] by Jing Wong (1982) [Hong Kong]
04. 3.0* - The Magnificent Trio [Bian Cheng San Xia] by Cheh Chang (1966) [Hong Kong]
05. 3.5* - Giant Fish [Da Yu] by Yue Yin (2020) [China]
06. 2.0* - The Owl Vs Bombo [Mao Tou Ying Yu Xiao Fei Xiang] by Sammo Kam-Bo Hung (1984) [Hong Kong]
07. 2.0* - Youth [Fang Hua] by Xiaogang Feng (2017) [China]
08. 3.5* - Heroes Shed No Tears [Ying Xiong Wu Lei] by Yuen Chor (1980) [Hong Kong]
09. 2.0* - The Secret Rivals [Nan Quan Bei Tui] by James Nam, See-Yuen Ng (1976) [Hong Kong]
10. 2.5* - Treasure Hunt [Mou Ga Ji Bo] by Jing Wong (2011) [Hong Kong]
11. 3.5* - All's Well, Ends Well Too [Faa Tin Hei Si] by Clifton Ko (1993) [Hong Kong]
12. 2.0* - Touch and Go [Yi Chu Ji Fa] by Ringo Lam (1991) [Hong Kong]
13. 2.5* - When I Look Upon the Stars [Tian Xuan Di Lian] by Dante Lam [Hong Kong]
14. 1.0* - The Generation Gap [Pan Ni] by Cheh Chang (1973) [Hong Kong]
15. 1.5* - The Dragon Tamers [Nu Zi Tai Quan Qun Ying Hui] by John Woo (1975) [Hong Kong]
16. 3.5* - The Thousand Faces of Dunjia [Qi Men Dun Jia] by Hesheng Xiang, Qiuliang Xiang (2020) [China]
17. 1.5* - Winner Takes All [Da Ying Jia] by Clifton Ko (2000) [Hong Kong]

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 28th, 2020, 11:29 am

Heroes of the ChallengeShow
31. Heroes of the East (1978) Hong Kong

32. Calamity of Snakes (1982) Hong Kong

:woot: SIDE CHALLENGE #1 - this was previously watched by morrison-dylan-fan!

This features several memorable images as snakes are skinned alive and set on fire while they cover entire apartment floors, creep inside bathtubs, crawl up dresses and wriggle around to the sound of electronic musical blips. With thousands of real live snakes clearly killed in the making of the film though, it is actually a bit hard to root for the human characters who take such enjoyment in killing them. Cool opening credits and ending though.
Image Image Image