Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

China, Hong Kong & Taiwan Challenge (Official, June 2020)

flavo5000

Re: China, Hong Kong & Taiwan Challenge (Official, June 2020)

Post by flavo5000 » June 16th, 2020, 12:58 pm

30. Hai shang hua a.k.a. Flowers of Shanghai (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1998) [Taiwan]
This film about the interactions between clients and flower girls in a high-end brothel has quite the luxurious pacing as one would imagine from Hsiao-hsien Hou that suits the material. To be honest though, I really struggled with remaining engaged with this one. The structure just felt a little too loose, the narrative a little too elusive.

31. Chu nu jiang a.k.a. Cannibal Curse (Yeung Kong, 1988) [Hong Kong]
Well, this was awful. i guess it could be entertaining if you get a group of friends together to make fun of it, but then the multiple rape scenes may be a buzzkill anyway.

32. San xia hao ren a.k.a. Still Life (Zhangke Jia, 2006) [China/Hong Kong]
Like Hsiao-hsien Hou, I struggle with Zhangke Jia's films at times. They are generally gorgeously shot and well-acted, but the pacing is just glacial. At times it works, and I'm not against a slower film despite how I may sound (I actually recently watched and enjoyed Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Syndromes and a Century and you don't get much slower than that). But for some reason, there's a narrative aloofness in Still Life that seemed to be at odds with my mood while watching it. Maybe I need to give it another try in a different mindset? I dunno.
SpoilerShow
1. Fang Shiyu yu Hong Xiguan a.k.a. Heroes Two (Cheh Chang, 1974) [Hong Kong]
2. Dung che sai duk a.k.a. Ashes of Time (Kar-Wai Wong, 1994)[Hong Hong/Taiwan]
3. Gu a.k.a. Bewitched (Chih-Hung Kuei, 1981) [Hong Kong]
4. Lung men bei chi a.k.a. Bruce's Deadly Fingers (Joseph Kong, 1976) [Hong Kong]
5. Geung si a.k.a. Rigor Mortis (Juno Mak, 2013) [Hong Kong]
6. Sai yau gei: Yut gwong bou haap a.k.a. A Chinese Odyssey Part One: Pandora's Box (Jeffrey Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong/China]
7. Sai yau gei: Sin leui kei yun a.k.a. A Chinese Odyssey: Part Two - Cinderella (Jeffrey Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong]
8. Wong Fei Hung III: Si wong jaang ba a.k.a. Once Upon A Time In China III (Hark Tsui, 1992) [Hong Kong]
9. Dong fu ren a.k.a. The Arch (Shu Shuen Tong, 1968) [Hong Kong]
10. Miao jie gu shi a.k.a. Mean Street Story (Andrew Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong]
11. Flight of the Red Balloon (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, 2007) [Taiwan]
12. Shan zhong zhuan qi a.k.a. Legend of the Mountain (King Hu, 1979) [Taiwan/Hong Kong]
13. Zhan lang a.k.a. Wolf Warrior (Jing Wu, 2015) [China]
14a. Chunyi: Legend of Kung Fu (Su Shijin, 2006) [China]
14b. Big Fish & Chinese Flowering Crabapple (Liang Xuan and Zhang Chun, 2004) [China]
14c. Ouran a.k.a. Accidentally (John Woo, 1968) [Hong Kong]
14d. Hua yang de nian hua (Kar-Wai Wong, 2000) [Hong Kong/China]
15. Ne Zha zhi mo tong jiang shi a.k.a. Ne Zha (Yu Yang, 2019) [China]
16. Gwai wik a.k.a. Re-Cycle (Pang Brothers, 2006) [Hong Kong]
17. Tai gik Cheung Sam Fung a.k.a. Tai Chi Master (Woo-Ping Yuen, 1993) [Hong Kong]
18. Hak se wui a.k.a. Election (Johnnie To, 2005) [Hong Kong]
19. Zhong hua zhang fu a.k.a. Heroes of the East (Chia-Liang Liu, 1978) [Hong Kong]
20. Liàn liàn fengchén a.k.a. Dust in the Wind (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, 1986) [Taiwan]
21. Gong woo a.k.a. Triad Underworld (Ching-Po Wong, 2004) [Hong Kong]
22. Xie mo a.k.a. The Devil (Jen-Chieh Chang, 1981) [Taiwan/Hong Kong]
23. Ai qing wan sui a.k.a. Vive L'Amour (Ming-liang Tsai, 1994) [Taiwan]
24. Ninja Terminator (1985)
25. Long quan she shou a.k.a. Dragon's Showdown (1980)
26. Thunder Ninja Kids in the Golden Adventure (1992)
27. Xi yang tian shi a.k.a. So Close (2002)
28. Hak se wui: Yi woo wai kwai a.k.a. Triad Election (Johnnie To, 2006) [Hong Kong]
29. Shi yue wei cheng a.k.a. Bodyguards and Assassins (Teddy Chan, 2009) [China/Hong Kong]

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 16th, 2020, 3:04 pm

King of ChallengeShow
1. The One-Armed Swordsman (1967) Hong Kong
2. God of Gamblers (1989) Hong Kong
3. All for the Winner (1990) Hong Kong
4. Magnificent Butcher (1979) Hong Kong
5. Five Fingers of Death (1972) Hong Kong
6. The Super Infra-man (1975) Hong Kong
7. Fight Back to School (1991) Hong Kong
8. Forbidden City Cop (1996) Hong Kong
9. Fulltime Killer (2001) Hong Kong
10. Full Contact (1992) Hong Kong
11. City on Fire (1987) Hong Kong
12. Curse of Evil (1982) Hong Kong
13. Out of the Dark (1995) Hong Kong
14. Golden Swallow (1968) Hong Kong
15. The Prodigal Son (1981) Hong Kong
16. Crippled Masters (1979) Hong Kong
17. Little Red Flowers (2006) China

18. King of Comedy (1999) Hong Kong

Stephen Chow is very amusing here, especially early on as he contorts his face every which way and almost destroys a film set through his clumsiness. As the movie progresses though, it becomes shapeless and episodic. There are a couple of subplots involving a hapless young man plus a potential love interest who he trains, table tennis, a millionaire wasting his money and then a police sting ?? Not Chow's best film. Fun Jackie Chan cameo though.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » June 16th, 2020, 3:30 pm

13. Sing si lip yan [City Hunter] (1993, Jing Wong) Hong Kong: 6.2 - Based on a famous Japanese anime, this takes Jackie Chan's wackiness to the extreme. Apparently Jackie Chan made this after a request to his Japanese fans which role he should make. But frankly he's totally miscast as the womanizing lead. Some of the goofiness works and the energy of this is so high it at least never bores. But it also show that the typical banal humor, that's barely passable animated, doesn't work in live-action. This movie is famous for its Street Fighter II parody.

14. Zhong an zu [Crime Story] (1993, Kirk Wong) Hong Kong: 7.2 - Based on true events this Jackie in a darker realistic crime movie. It belong among his better movies. For starters it's well written and directed. Plus Jackie pulls of playing a serious role, he's convincing as the traumatized honest cop. But the real crux is that Jackie still is vulnerable in this movie, which allows him to play his usual underdog role, which he does best, only this time it’s a serious instead of a comedic take on it. Because of that this is also actually suspenseful beside just exciting.

15. Shaolin (2011, Benny Chan) China, Hong Kong: 6.0

16. Jue di tao wang [Skiptrace] (2016, Renny Harlin) China, Hong Kong:5.8 - It's mostly a travel commercial for Mongolia and China, the plot makes no-sense, the middle part drags. But Jackie Chan and Johnny Knoxville form an enjoyable odd couple and it has some amusing fights and stunts. Makes me wish this was made a few decades ago, when both were at their peak.

SpoilerShow
1. Liu lang di qiu [The Wandering Earth] (2019, Frant Gwo) China: 4.5
2. Zhong guo chao ren [Super Inframan] (1975, Shan Hua) Hong Kong: 7.8
3. Shen da [Spiritual Boxer] (1975, Chia-Liang Liu) Hong Kong: 7.8
4. Fei long zhan [The Dragon Missile] (1976, Meng Hua Ho) Hong Kong: 6.5
5. Jian hua yan yu Jiang Nan [To Kill with Intrigue] (1977, Wei Lo) Hong Kong : 4.8
6. She hao ba bu [Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin] (1978, Chi-Hwa Chen) Hong Kong/Taiwan: 7.0
7. Long quan [Dragon Fist] (1979,Wei Lo) Hong Kong/Taiwan: 6.8
8. Kwai tsan tseh [Wheels on Meals] (1984, Sammo Kam-Bo Hung) Hong Kong: 7.8
9. Long de xin [Heart of a Dragon/First Mission] (1985, Sammo Kam-Bo Hung & Fruit Chan) Hong Kong: 6.2
10. The Protector (1985, James Glickenhaus) Hong Kong: 6.2
11. Fei lung maang jeung [Dragons Forever] (1988, Sammo Kam-Bo Hung & Corey Yuen) Hong Kong: 6.8
12. Kei zik [Miracles: The Canton Godfather/Mr. Canton and Lady Rose/Black Dragon] (1989, Jackie Chan) Hong Kong: 6.8

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 16th, 2020, 7:55 pm

18. Uniform / Zhifu (Yi'nan Diao, 2003) [China] 7
Debut of Black Coal, Thin Ice and The Wild Goose Lake director, Uniform is already marked by some neo-noirish settings and mood even if the story is essentially a take on economic crisis, social disintegration and how people try to save appearances and dignity - reminiscent of Dardennes and Loach work.
19. Out of the Dark / Wui wan yeh (Jeffrey Lau, 1995) [HK] 7
Simply hilarious as a zany comedy, at least in the first half, too bad it drags severely in the second.
Talking about influence from Léon: The Professional:

20. Taipei Story / Qing mei zhu ma (Edward Yang, 1985) [Taiwan] 7+
I thought I was breaking away from HHH with another Taiwan New Wave director but I realized he is the lead actor here... and not too convincingly, his character and storyline really pulled me off. Fortunately Edward Yang cinematography filming Taipei and the female protagonist is great, in the same vein as in the Terrorizers, with some amazing work on light, perspectives, flows. I probably need to let it sink a little.

My women in action #7
the time to watch and the time to watch againShow
1. Tears of the Yang-Tse / Yi jiang chun shui xiang dong liu [China] 6-
The historical context and moral dilemma were promising but dramatization is really over the top, and tiring at +180mins.
2. Running Out of Time / Am zin (Johnnie To, 1999) [HK] 7
Efficient direction for this cat-and-mouse game between a police negotiator and a singular thief. Has on top the typical, somehow formuleic, HK blend of drama, romance and comedy.
3. Cute Girl / Jiu shi liu liu de ta (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1980) [Taiwan] 7-
I will start exploring my BR boxset of HHH early films (Carlotta). Cute Girl, his first fim, has not much of the social realism and uncompromising formalism of his future works but it is quite amusing to see premices of his style including distant composition of countryside landscapes, off-camera scenes and long takes. Besides, if you can tolerate the genre, it is a nice, little rom-com.
Quality of the restaured pictures is really great so I am looking forward to the next.

My women in action #1

4. A Yangtze Landscape (Xu Xin, 2017) [China] 6
Striking B&W visuals, contemplating the flow of industrial vessels sailing from Shanghai up the river. Where this documentary doesn't fully succeed is in connecting the onshore sequences that pause on impoverished inhabitants nearby. They are clearly stuck where everything moves around them - who they are, how they landed on there and how they survive would have been worth exploring deeper.
5. Dumplings / Gau ji (Fruit Chan, 2004)[HK] 7-
Enjoyable horror drama which focuses on the social and moral horror of the protagonists rather than its fantasy. A fine performance by the two lead actresses, with a very believable appetite for youth. Plot could have been less linear and characterization deeper.

My women in action #2

6. Cities of Last Things (Wi Ding Ho, 2018) [Taiwan] 5
Messy story telling as if director wanted a Chinese Cloud Atlas and changed his mind for Rebels of the Neon God after 20 mins, without caring much for losing the viewers on the way. Saved somehow by a few decent drama segments and acting.

7. The Missing Gun / Xun qiang (Chuan Lu, 2002) [China] 7+
Fun thriller. This is the debut feature of Chuan Lu and there is a lot he wants to show as a director, sometimes abusing from camera effects and editing but overall it gives a lot of pace to the action. Wen Jiang is excellent as always; from stupidness to cold determination, he really has a broad acting range.

8. The Green, Green Grass of Home / Zai na he pan qing cao qing (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1982) [Taiwan] 6+
Continuing with HHH earlies, this one revolves around an elementary school in the countryside where a teacher from Taipei comes as a substitute and try to blend in - a connection between rural and urban that HHH will explore in many films. Whereas there are still some comedy elements you can sense HHH is now slowing down the action for more contemplative sequences and focusing on developing intertwining stories that only resolve at the end with a converging subtext. It got me only mildly engaged though.

9. Armour of God / Lung hing foo dai (Jackie Chan, 1986) [HK] 4
Boring and mediocre - Jackie Chan trying to be half-Indiana Jones half-James Bond through Europe and failing in both. I am not a huge fan of his films anyway but there was one single exciting stunt - in cars, which for a JC movie is kind of lackluster to say the least.

10. The Ditch / Jiabiangou (Bing Wang, 2010) [China] 8-
Essential companion of Dead Souls (2018), as a fiction made from the same harrowing testimonies Bing kept collecting about Rightists re-education camps under Mao's era.

My women in action #3

11. The Eagle Shooting Heroes / Se diu ying hung: Dung sing sai jau (Jeffrey Lau, 1993) [HK] 5
Frantic comedy and action got me tired after twenty minutes, multiple characters and convoluted plot did not help to restore attention
12. Secret Love in Peach Blossom Land / An lian tao hua yuan (Stan Lai, 1993) [Taiwan] 8
Two stage companies rent mistakenly the same theater for their final rehearsal night: this is an exciting concept as we got to see the two plays and the backstage discussions where characters and stories eventually blend. There is wit in the dialogues, subtle intertwined drama, Rivette and Allen came to mind. Great direction and photography as well, lot of care with framing/composing, a new favourite !
My women in action #4

13. Nezha Conquers the Dragon King / Nezha nao hai (Shuchen Wang, Jingda Xu, Ding Xian Yan, 1979) [China] 7
Chinese anime based on a traditional tale: the story line involving a fight between various devils and an innoncent hero is nothing surprising but it served well by the colorization work and the soundtrack.
14. An Autumn's Tale / Chou tin dik tong wah (Mabel Cheung, 1987) [HK] 7+
It has all the predictability of a HK romance of course but there is the charm of Chow Yun-Fat/Cherie Chung and a wonderful effort in make everything believable in New York 80s, emphasizing the cultural clash and distance which all in all makes it a very enjoyable experience.
My women in action #5

15. All the Youthful Days aka The Boys from Fengkuei / Feng gui lai de ren (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1983) [Taiwan] 8-
HHH is getting to more personal work, recalling his teenagehood. What could have been just another film about idle, young thugs in a suburban city is magnified by the careful selection of scenes, alternating youthful energy and contemplative drama, and above all amazing camera work. His way to take distance from his protagonists to frame them in their environment is truly amazing.
16. The Swordsman in Double Flag Town / Shuang-Qi-Zhen daoke (Ping He, 1991) [China] 7-
I am probably a little generous with this rating. The Swordsman... is an odd mix of genres between wuxia and western with some drops of ethnic drama. It has some magic though thanks to Gobi's desert setting and keeping the art of his young protagonist mysterious.
17. Fist of Fury / Jing wu men (Wei Lo, 1972) [HK] 5+
It is decent action, the faces and screams of Bruce Lee are just too annoying.

My women in action #6
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 16th, 2020, 9:10 pm

09. Pik lik foh (1995) - Hong Kong

SpoilerShow
01. Shen wei san meng long (1980) - Hong Kong
02. Proposition (2012) + Tricycle Thief (2014) + Death of a Parrot (2015) + The Identity of the Portuguese Egg Tart (2015) + The Great Debt (2016) + CaCa: I Want Cat to Say Yes (2017) + O Cravo (2017) + Desireland, Multiverse (2020) - Macao
03. Ying hung boon sik (1986) - Hong Kong
04. Guizi lai le (2000) - China
05. Ba wang bie ji (1993) - China
06. Huo zhe (1994) - China
07. Hong gao liang (1988) - China
08. Qi mou miao ji: Wu fu xing (1983) - Hong Kong

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 16th, 2020, 10:00 pm

13. 2.5* - When I Look Upon the Stars [Tian Xuan Di Lian] by Dante Lam [Hong Kong]

Dante Lam is a fine action director, romance and drama on the other hand aren't really his thing. Lam made When I Look Upon the Stars when he just started out, at a time when he was still searching for a niche he felt at home in. While he does his best to make things work, the romance never takes off.

Chan and Ku aren't the best actors for the job, Qi and Lee are better equipped to handle this type of work, but have trouble connecting with their partners. The cheesy soundtrack and rather pedestrian cinematography don't really add to the atmosphere either. It's all just a little too functional to be truly effective.

That said, it's not the worst film either. The characters are quite interesting and there are a few scenes where things move in the right direction, it's just that it never materializes into something bigger. This is passable filler, just don't go in expecting a typical Lam action flick, as you're bound to end up sorely disappointed.

It's like discovering AmericaShow
01. 3.0* - Monster Hunt [Zhuo Yao Ji] by Raman Hui (2015) [China, Hong Kong]
02. 2.5* - Troublesome Night 6 [Yam Yeung Lo 6: Hung Chow Hon] by Herman Yau (1999) [Hong Kong]
03. 3.0* - Winner Takes All [Chak Wong Ji Wong] by Jing Wong (1982) [Hong Kong]
04. 3.0* - The Magnificent Trio [Bian Cheng San Xia] by Cheh Chang (1966) [Hong Kong]
05. 3.5* - Giant Fish [Da Yu] by Yue Yin (2020) [China]
06. 2.0* - The Owl Vs Bombo [Mao Tou Ying Yu Xiao Fei Xiang] by Sammo Kam-Bo Hung (1984) [Hong Kong]
07. 2.0* - Youth [Fang Hua] by Xiaogang Feng (2017) [China]
08. 3.5* - Heroes Shed No Tears [Ying Xiong Wu Lei] by Yuen Chor (1980) [Hong Kong]
09. 2.0* - The Secret Rivals [Nan Quan Bei Tui] by James Nam, See-Yuen Ng (1976) [Hong Kong]
10. 2.5* - Treasure Hunt [Mou Ga Ji Bo] by Jing Wong (2011) [Hong Kong]
11. 3.5* - All's Well, Ends Well Too [Faa Tin Hei Si] by Clifton Ko (1993) [Hong Kong]
12. 2.0* - Touch and Go [Yi Chu Ji Fa] by Ringo Lam (1991) [Hong Kong]

AB537

Post by AB537 » June 17th, 2020, 2:37 am

3. Faa yeung nin wa - In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000, Hong Kong) 8.5/10

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » June 17th, 2020, 2:51 am

SpoilerShow
1. Us & Them [aka Hou lai de wo men] (2018, China) 6/10 Reminded me a lot of La La Land storywise. The end credits were pretty cute until the last card that left us on a sorrowful note.
2. Dear Ex (2018, Taiwan) 6/10 NETFLIX
3. Petition (2009, China) 6/10
4. Wutai jiemei/Two Stage Sisters / 舞台姐妹 (1964, China) 6/10
Side Challenge 1: Also seen by jdidaco

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » June 17th, 2020, 2:59 am

Josephine Siao (l) , in (blind) action ('Chuang') - Side Challenge 2: "A woman or women in action" - image #4

11. Chuang (The Window, Patrick Lung Kong, 1968) 9/10 (Hong Kong)
12. Dong nuan (The Winter, Li Han Hsiang, 1969) 8/10 (Taiwan)

SpoilerShow
1. Wutai jiemei (Two Stage Sisters, Xie Jin, 1964) 8.5/10 (China)
2. Tian xia di yi jian (The Fastest Sword, Pan Lei, 1968) 8/10 (Taiwan/Hong Kong)
3. Yi dai jian wang (The Swordsman of All Swordsmen, Joseph Kuo, 1968) 7.5/10 (Taiwan)
4. Du zhan (Drug War, Johnnie To, 2012) 8/10 (Hong Kong/China)
5. Yu tang chun (The Story of Sue San, King Hu, 1964) 8/10 (Hong Kong)
6. Bian cheng san xia (The Magnificent Trio, Chang Cheh, 1966) 7.5/10 (Hong Kong) (Side Challenge 1: The pick master - ororama)
7. Long men jin jian (The Golden Sword, Lo Wei, 1969) 7.5/10 (Hong Kong)
8. Ni na bian ji dian (What Time Is It There?, Tsai Ming-liang, 2001) 9/10 (Taiwan) (RV)
9. Yu mei ren (The Mermaid, Kao Li, 1965) 8/10 (Hong Kong)
10. Po xiao shi fen (At Dawn, Li Han Hsiang & Sung Tsun-Shou, 1968) 9/10 (Taiwan)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 17th, 2020, 8:56 am

hurluberlu wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 7:55 pm
Simply hilarious as a zany comedy, at least in the first half, too bad it drags severely in the second.
:ph43r: Huh, I know some users are choosing not participating in the Pick Master side challenge, but I thought as host that you'd definitely be in for it. :shifty:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 17th, 2020, 8:58 am

King of ChallengeShow

19. King of Beggars (1992) Hong Kong

This is very slow to warm up with over a third of the film elapsing before Stephen Chow is demoted to beggar status and while there is some nifty sleeping/yawning kung fu in the mix (see above), it is all confined to the final half-hour. Chow is good as ever though, and Ng Man-Tat - so funny opposite Chow in Fight Back to School - is delightful throughout, playing the star's father this time who believes that his son can do no wrong.
Image Image Image

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 17th, 2020, 11:30 am

10. Hung fan kui (1995) - Hong Kong

SpoilerShow
02. Proposition (2012) + Tricycle Thief (2014) + Death of a Parrot (2015) + The Identity of the Portuguese Egg Tart (2015) + The Great Debt (2016) + CaCa: I Want Cat to Say Yes (2017) + O Cravo (2017) + Desireland, Multiverse (2020) - Macao

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 17th, 2020, 1:56 pm

33. Se ying diu sau a.k.a. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (Woo-Ping Yuen, 1978) [Hong Kong]
This early Jackie Chan flick is a fun time and while it lacks the clever environment-based physical comedy action of many of Chan's later films, Chan himself is in peak physical condition showcasing just how good of an actual martial artist.

34. Chin gei bin II: Faa dou dai zin a.k.a. The Twins Effect II (Patrick Leung/Corey Yuen, 2003) [Hong Kong/China]
This is a sequel in name only as it has nothing at all to do with the previous Chin gei bin film beyond the casting of the two female leads (who also happen to be pop singers in real life which helps explain their mediocre acting skills). The movie also acts as Jaycee (Jackie Chan's son)'s feature debut with Chan and Donnie Yen in bit parts. Honestly this type of movie just does not suit Jaycee at all. Despite his heritage, he doesn't really have the chops for high falutin' action (Lee's Adventure succeeds more because of his non-magnetic acting style as it juxtaposes the drudgery of everyday with the explosive bombast of the fantasy). Also the plot's a mess and feels about twenty minutes too long with some really bad CGI effects.
SpoilerShow
4. Lung men bei chi a.k.a. Bruce's Deadly Fingers (Joseph Kong, 1976) [Hong Kong]
6. Sai yau gei: Yut gwong bou haap a.k.a. A Chinese Odyssey Part One: Pandora's Box (Jeffrey Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong/China]
7. Sai yau gei: Sin leui kei yun a.k.a. A Chinese Odyssey: Part Two - Cinderella (Jeffrey Lau, 1995) [Hong Kong]
8. Wong Fei Hung III: Si wong jaang ba a.k.a. Once Upon A Time In China III (Hark Tsui, 1992) [Hong Kong]
12. Shan zhong zhuan qi a.k.a. Legend of the Mountain (King Hu, 1979) [Taiwan/Hong Kong]
14b. Big Fish & Chinese Flowering Crabapple (Liang Xuan and Zhang Chun, 2004) [China]
17. Tai gik Cheung Sam Fung a.k.a. Tai Chi Master (Woo-Ping Yuen, 1993) [Hong Kong]
19. Zhong hua zhang fu a.k.a. Heroes of the East (Chia-Liang Liu, 1978) [Hong Kong]
28. Hak se wui: Yi woo wai kwai a.k.a. Triad Election (Johnnie To, 2006) [Hong Kong]
29. Shi yue wei cheng a.k.a. Bodyguards and Assassins (Teddy Chan, 2009) [China/Hong Kong]
33. Se ying diu sau a.k.a. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (Woo-Ping Yuen, 1978) [Hong Kong]
34. Chin gei bin II: Faa dou dai zin a.k.a. The Twins Effect II (Patrick Leung/Corey Yuen, 2003) [Hong Kong/China]

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 17th, 2020, 5:48 pm

46. [Hong Kong] Dung fong sam hap (1993)
47. [Hong Kong] Luk chi kam moh (1994)

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 17th, 2020, 6:09 pm

sol wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 8:56 am
hurluberlu wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 7:55 pm
:ph43r: Huh, I know some users are choosing not participating in the Pick Master side challenge, but I thought as host that you'd definitely be in for it. :shifty:
I am not counting something which I had planned to watch anyway and didnt purposedly pick from your watchings... :rolleyes:
At least your review didnt make my mind change about watching it and rightfully so!

ImageImageImageImage

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 17th, 2020, 7:31 pm

48. [Hong Kong] Di yu wu men (1980)
49. [Hong Kong] Xian si jue (1983)
Last edited by blueboybob on June 17th, 2020, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 17th, 2020, 11:32 pm

11. Yip Man (2008) - Hong Kong
12. Yip Man 2 (2010) - Hong Kong

SpoilerShow

AB537

Post by AB537 » June 18th, 2020, 1:40 am

4. Jǐngchá Gùshì - Police Story (Jackie Chan, 1985, Hong Kong) 8/10

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 18th, 2020, 2:22 am

50. [Hong Kong] Xin liu xing hu die jian (1993)

wasabi

Post by wasabi » June 18th, 2020, 7:01 am

19. Summer Palace/Yi He Yuan(2006 China)
I liked it. The story was pretty weak, but Lou Ye used strong emotion and historical events to develop the story line. "The real love would only happen when someone is anxious and miserable". It's not rational and very dramatic, but I could feel her feeling when the girl made her choice. No matter how much you love one, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Hao Lei and Zeng Mei Hui Zi were so beautiful in the film. Some sex scenes were unnecessary.
SpoilerShow
1. A Lingering Face/Fei Chang Xia Ri (2000) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257664/
2. 2. Xin Niang/The Bride(2009, China) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2137352/
3-4. The Romance of Tiger and Rose EP 1 -- EP 7 (2020, China) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12299432/
5. (rewatch)Hu Lu Xiong Di/Calabash Brothers (1986, China) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7046962/
6. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 1
7. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 2
8. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 3
9. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 4
10. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 5
11. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 6
12. Yinyang jie (1974 HK)https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243671/
13. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 7
14. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 8
15. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 9
16. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 10
17. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 11
18. Burning Ice/Wu Zheng Zhi Zui (2017, China) Episode 12

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 18th, 2020, 10:18 am

King of ChallengeShow

20. Flirting Scholar (1993) Hong Kong

This boasts some excellent wire-work with a breathtaking bit early on as Stephen Chow somersaults through the air while painting; there is a great special effects fight towards the end too as Chow battles the matriarch, played by 60s action star Cheng Pei-Pei. The bulk of the film is uneven though. Many gags feel in poor taste, playing on Chow being revolted by the way women look, while Gong Li given little to do outside of looking pretty.
Image Image Image

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 18th, 2020, 1:00 pm

35. Wong Gok ka moon a.k.a. As Tears Go By ( Kar-Wai Wong, 1988) [Hong Kong]
Kar-Wai's debut feature is a little rough around the edges (both literally and metaphorically) but the picture is still unmistakably one of his, featuring many of his common themes he would return to in later films, a kind of urban decay that batters the soul as much as the body.

36. Gam yuk fung wan a.k.a. Prison on Fire (Ringo Lam, 1987) [Hong Kong]
Chow Yun-Fat is a prisoner jailed on a manslaughter charge who befriends a kind of weenie of a guy as they navigate the ins and outs of the prison system. This one's a solid, albeit not terribly original, prison drama with Chow Yun-Fat oozing cool as much as his friend oozes wussiness. It plays out in a pretty predictable way, but is still fine while it lasts.
SpoilerShow

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 18th, 2020, 2:57 pm

Armour of ChallengeShow

21. Armour of God (1986) Hong Kong

:woot: SIDE CHALLENGE #1 - this was previously watched by hurluberlu (who cautioned against watching the film, and yes, I should have listened...)

After an exciting opening scene in which Jackie Chan steals a tribal artefact, the pacing of this action-adventure film slows down and only recovers in the final half-hour. There is admittedly a nifty motorcycle/car chase, but with a formulaic montage set to sentimental music and many dialogue-heavy scenes, this never flows particularly well. The plot is nonsensical too, with blackmailing baddies who are too frugal to pay Chan to steal stuff for them.
Image Image Image

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 18th, 2020, 3:08 pm

sol wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 2:57 pm
After an exciting opening scene in which Jackie Chan steals a tribal artefact, the pacing of this action-adventure film slows down and only recovers in the final half-hour. There is admittedly a nifty motorcycle/car chase, but with a formulaic montage set to sentimental music and many dialogue-heavy scenes, this never flows particularly well. The plot is nonsensical too, with blackmailing baddies who are too frugal to pay Chan to steal stuff for them.
Didn't like this one very much either, but it's also one of these peculiar HK niches. The Robin Hood/good thief narratives centering around art theft, not rarely in Europe. John Woo has a couple too, and they keep popping up from time to time, usually featuring some very famous actors (watched The Adventurers some time ago, featuring Shu Qi & Andy Lau). If you like these films and want to go to the source (or at least, one of the first successful franchises in this niche), try out the Aces Go Places films :)

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 18th, 2020, 5:20 pm

51. [Hong Kong] Ma Yong Zhen (1997)

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » June 18th, 2020, 5:51 pm

sol wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 2:57 pm
Armour of ChallengeShow

:woot: SIDE CHALLENGE #1 - this was previously watched by hurluberlu (who cautioned against watching the film, and yes, I should have listened...)

I didn’t particularly care for Armour of God either, found it a mediocre Jackie Chan movie. The sequel is better, tho contrary to the prevailing opinion I found that one average too.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 18th, 2020, 6:10 pm

I only really liked the 3rd in the series.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 18th, 2020, 7:11 pm

52. [Hong Kong] Huang jia shi jie (1985)
53. [Tawain] Dong nuan (1969)
Last edited by blueboybob on June 19th, 2020, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » June 18th, 2020, 11:37 pm

SpoilerShow
1. Us & Them [aka Hou lai de wo men] (2018, China) 6/10 Reminded me a lot of La La Land storywise. The end credits were pretty cute until the last card that left us on a sorrowful note.
2. Dear Ex (2018, Taiwan) 6/10 NETFLIX
3. Petition (2009, China) 6/10
4. Wutai jiemei/Two Stage Sisters / 舞台姐妹 (1964, China) 6/10
Side Challenge 1: Also seen by jdidaco
5. Pan si dong/The Cave of the Silken Web (1967, Hong Kong) 5/10
Side Challenge 1: Also seen by peeptoad

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 19th, 2020, 12:42 am

54. [China] Du zhan (2012)

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » June 19th, 2020, 6:32 am

13. Dung che sai duk (1994) - Hong Kong

SpoilerShow
11. Yip Man (2008) - Hong Kong
12. Yip Man 2 (2010) - Hong Kong

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 19th, 2020, 10:36 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 5:51 pm
I didn’t particularly care for Armour of God either, found it a mediocre Jackie Chan movie. The sequel is better, tho contrary to the prevailing opinion I found that one average too.
Yeah, I saw that there was a sequel. I wish I could say that enough of Armour of God was interesting enough to make me curious about seeing if the sequel could be better. Unfortunately I can't say that. :pinch:
Onderhond wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 3:08 pm
If you like these films and want to go to the source (or at least, one of the first successful franchises in this niche), try out the Aces Go Places films :)
No, thanks - I'll pass on that for now. :ermm:
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 19th, 2020, 10:42 am

Armour of ChallengeShow

22. Fist of Legend (1994) Hong Kong

The choreography is nifty throughout this Fist of Fury remake, especially during a blindfold fight scene; in the lead role though, Jet Li does not have one iota of Bruce Lee's charisma and the plot is so bare-bones that it lags in between the fights. As Li contends with strong prejudices due to his girlfriend being Japanese, the film almost does something different. The girlfriend is bland throughout though (all energy is put in the kung fu battles).
Image Image Image

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 19th, 2020, 1:16 pm

55. [Hong Kong] Nan bei Shao Lin (1986)
56. [China] Gui tu lie che (2009)
57. [China] Shuang-Qi-Zhen daoke (1991)
58. [Hong Kong] Zhong Nan Hai bao biao (1994)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 20th, 2020, 7:09 am

Challenge MasterShow

23. Tai-Chi Master (1993) Hong Kong

:woot: SIDE CHALLENGE #1 - this was previously watched by flavo! --- :woot: SIDE CHALLENGE #2 - a woman in action

While the feelings of betrayal between friends comes across well here, it is the film's integration of tai-chi teachings into the various fights that works best here with some excellent wire-work and a breathtaking trampoline climax. Michelle Yeoh feels under-used; she has an amazing stilts fight sequence and generally holds her own well in battle, but the focus here is always the two former friends. That said, Jet Li is surprisingly excellent.
Image Image Image

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 20th, 2020, 8:51 am

21. China Behind / Zai jian Zhongguo (Shu Shuen Tong, 1978) [HK] 8-
Mao's Cultural Revolution told as a frightening dystopia, yet in a very realistic setting. We get to follow the nerve-cracking journey of Chinese students trying to escape mainland for HK and feel for them all along. The poor copy I have watched is probably not doing justice to cinematography, there is enough I could glimpse to realize it is very carefully executed though.

22. Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy / Yip Man ngoi zyun: Cheung Tin Chi (Woo-ping Yuen, 2018) [HK] 6
Classy cast - Jin Zhang, Dave Bautista, Michelle Yeoh, and the fights between these three dont disappoint. Deserved a better script.

23. Mr. Zhao / Zhao xiansheng (Yue Lü, 1998) [China] 6+
A man has an accident, falls unconscious and recall his recent days torn between two women. It is not Claude Sautet's Les Choses de la Vie, actually it is not told in that same order but that is the same cinema, realistic take on men/women relationships, what a couple is, choices and non-choices, in sequences edited with flair. The cast left me disengaged too often unfortunately.

the time to watch and the time to watch againShow
1. Tears of the Yang-Tse / Yi jiang chun shui xiang dong liu [China] 6-
The historical context and moral dilemma were promising but dramatization is really over the top, and tiring at +180mins.
2. Running Out of Time / Am zin (Johnnie To, 1999) [HK] 7
Efficient direction for this cat-and-mouse game between a police negotiator and a singular thief. Has on top the typical, somehow formuleic, HK blend of drama, romance and comedy.
3. Cute Girl / Jiu shi liu liu de ta (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1980) [Taiwan] 7-
I will start exploring my BR boxset of HHH early films (Carlotta). Cute Girl, his first fim, has not much of the social realism and uncompromising formalism of his future works but it is quite amusing to see premices of his style including distant composition of countryside landscapes, off-camera scenes and long takes. Besides, if you can tolerate the genre, it is a nice, little rom-com.
Quality of the restaured pictures is really great so I am looking forward to the next.

My women in action #1

4. A Yangtze Landscape (Xu Xin, 2017) [China] 6
Striking B&W visuals, contemplating the flow of industrial vessels sailing from Shanghai up the river. Where this documentary doesn't fully succeed is in connecting the onshore sequences that pause on impoverished inhabitants nearby. They are clearly stuck where everything moves around them - who they are, how they landed on there and how they survive would have been worth exploring deeper.
5. Dumplings / Gau ji (Fruit Chan, 2004)[HK] 7-
Enjoyable horror drama which focuses on the social and moral horror of the protagonists rather than its fantasy. A fine performance by the two lead actresses, with a very believable appetite for youth. Plot could have been less linear and characterization deeper.

My women in action #2

6. Cities of Last Things (Wi Ding Ho, 2018) [Taiwan] 5
Messy story telling as if director wanted a Chinese Cloud Atlas and changed his mind for Rebels of the Neon God after 20 mins, without caring much for losing the viewers on the way. Saved somehow by a few decent drama segments and acting.

7. The Missing Gun / Xun qiang (Chuan Lu, 2002) [China] 7+
Fun thriller. This is the debut feature of Chuan Lu and there is a lot he wants to show as a director, sometimes abusing from camera effects and editing but overall it gives a lot of pace to the action. Wen Jiang is excellent as always; from stupidness to cold determination, he really has a broad acting range.

8. The Green, Green Grass of Home / Zai na he pan qing cao qing (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1982) [Taiwan] 6+
Continuing with HHH earlies, this one revolves around an elementary school in the countryside where a teacher from Taipei comes as a substitute and try to blend in - a connection between rural and urban that HHH will explore in many films. Whereas there are still some comedy elements you can sense HHH is now slowing down the action for more contemplative sequences and focusing on developing intertwining stories that only resolve at the end with a converging subtext. It got me only mildly engaged though.

9. Armour of God / Lung hing foo dai (Jackie Chan, 1986) [HK] 4
Boring and mediocre - Jackie Chan trying to be half-Indiana Jones half-James Bond through Europe and failing in both. I am not a huge fan of his films anyway but there was one single exciting stunt - in cars, which for a JC movie is kind of lackluster to say the least.

10. The Ditch / Jiabiangou (Bing Wang, 2010) [China] 8-
Essential companion of Dead Souls (2018), as a fiction made from the same harrowing testimonies Bing kept collecting about Rightists re-education camps under Mao's era.

My women in action #3

11. The Eagle Shooting Heroes / Se diu ying hung: Dung sing sai jau (Jeffrey Lau, 1993) [HK] 5
Frantic comedy and action got me tired after twenty minutes, multiple characters and convoluted plot did not help to restore attention
12. Secret Love in Peach Blossom Land / An lian tao hua yuan (Stan Lai, 1993) [Taiwan] 8
Two stage companies rent mistakenly the same theater for their final rehearsal night: this is an exciting concept as we got to see the two plays and the backstage discussions where characters and stories eventually blend. There is wit in the dialogues, subtle intertwined drama, Rivette and Allen came to mind. Great direction and photography as well, lot of care with framing/composing, a new favourite !
My women in action #4

13. Nezha Conquers the Dragon King / Nezha nao hai (Shuchen Wang, Jingda Xu, Ding Xian Yan, 1979) [China] 7
Chinese anime based on a traditional tale: the story line involving a fight between various devils and an innoncent hero is nothing surprising but it served well by the colorization work and the soundtrack.
14. An Autumn's Tale / Chou tin dik tong wah (Mabel Cheung, 1987) [HK] 7+
It has all the predictability of a HK romance of course but there is the charm of Chow Yun-Fat/Cherie Chung and a wonderful effort in make everything believable in New York 80s, emphasizing the cultural clash and distance which all in all makes it a very enjoyable experience.
My women in action #5

15. All the Youthful Days aka The Boys from Fengkuei / Feng gui lai de ren (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 1983) [Taiwan] 8-
HHH is getting to more personal work, recalling his teenagehood. What could have been just another film about idle, young thugs in a suburban city is magnified by the careful selection of scenes, alternating youthful energy and contemplative drama, and above all amazing camera work. His way to take distance from his protagonists to frame them in their environment is truly amazing.
16. The Swordsman in Double Flag Town / Shuang-Qi-Zhen daoke (Ping He, 1991) [China] 7-
I am probably a little generous with this rating. The Swordsman... is an odd mix of genres between wuxia and western with some drops of ethnic drama. It has some magic though thanks to Gobi's desert setting and keeping the art of his young protagonist mysterious.
17. Fist of Fury / Jing wu men (Wei Lo, 1972) [HK] 5+
It is decent action, the faces and screams of Bruce Lee are just too annoying.

My women in action #6

18. Uniform / Zhifu (Yi'nan Diao, 2003) [China] 7
Debut of Black Coal, Thin Ice and The Wild Goose Lake director, Uniform is already marked by some neo-noirish settings and mood even if the story is essentially a take on economic crisis, social disintegration and how people try to save appearances and dignity - reminiscent of Dardennes and Loach work.
Talking about influence from Léon: The Professional:

20. Taipei Story / Qing mei zhu ma (Edward Yang, 1985) [Taiwan] 7+
I thought I was breaking away from HHH with another Taiwan New Wave director but I realized he is the lead actor here... and not too convincingly, his character and storyline really pulled me off. Fortunately Edward Yang cinematography filming Taipei and the female protagonist is great, in the same vein as in the Terrorizers, with some amazing work on light, perspectives, flows. I probably need to let it sink a little.

My women in action #7

ImageImageImageImage

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 20th, 2020, 12:35 pm

59. [Hong Kong] Lo foo chut gang (1988)

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » June 20th, 2020, 1:23 pm

37. Chi bi a.k.a. Red Cliff (John Woo, 2008) [China/Hong Kong/Taiwan]
Very epic in scope with some great action sequences as one would expect from John Woo. I need to watch part 2 soon.

38. Zui hao de shi guang a.k.a. Three Times (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 2005) [Taiwan]
I thought this was an interesting Hsiao-hsien Hou in the way it ties in the themes between the three stories using the same actors.
SpoilerShow
37. Chi bi a.k.a. Red Cliff (John Woo, 2008) [China/Hong Kong/Taiwan]
38. Zui hao de shi guang a.k.a. Three Times (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 2005) [Taiwan]

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 20th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Challenge MasterShow
23. Tai-Chi Master (1993) Hong Kong

24. The Protector (1985) Hong Kong

:woot: SIDE CHALLENGE #1 - this was previously watched by Lonewolf!

The gritty style of Exterminator director James Glickenhaus is quite far removed from Jackie Chan's aesthetics, but the combination works fine with a brutal bar fight early on that transforms into a boat chase. The latter Hong Kong scenes (particularly a seedy massage parlor) also simmer with tension and there is a buzzsaw climax! The basic plot though is a messy. The kidnapping motives remain murky and unclear and the rescue stuff is formulaic.
Image Image Image

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 20th, 2020, 5:33 pm

60. [Hong Kong] Saat po long (2005)
61. [Hong Kong] Dung fong tuk ying (1987)