Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 9 released July 7th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

The Official Unofficial Challenge (november 2019)

OldAle1
Donator

Re: The Official Unofficial Challenge (november 2019)

Post by OldAle1 » November 18th, 2019, 6:31 pm

1. Mysterious Intruder (William Castle, 1946)

Another film with mistaken or stolen identity, in this case prompted by a kindly old music shop owner who goes to private detective Richard Dix to help find a girl he once knew, because he has something for her. But Dix is one of the more unscrupulous private dicks out there and, suspecting there's a lot of money involved, tries to set up a scam using an impostor. Unfortunately it all goes horribly wrong and much confusion and several deaths result. Like #3 this has a very dense an quickly-paced plot but it seems better constructed overall, and it has a slightly more interesting cast including a terrific quartet of stalwarts: Barton MacLane and Charles Lane as a couple of cynical cops, Mike Mazurki as what else, a hood, and Regis Toomey as a landlord who is not what he seems. And a great ironic ending that I really didn't expect.

2. The Secret of the Whistler (George Sherman, 1946)

Dix is a middle-aged artist (a surrealist, interestingly enough) who lives off his middle-aged wife (Mary Currier), who has a heart condition. Dix seems to love his wife, but knowing she's likely to die, and meeting a very attractive model (Leslie Brooks, who has something of a Bette Davis voice and personality, but wrapped into a model-thin very tall frame), the wheels start to turn in his mind - especially when his wife takes an unexpected turn for the better.

3. The Thirteenth Hour (William Clemens, 1947)

The only other common noir trope that's as manly as boxing is probably trucking, and that's what we have here, as trucker/owner Dix is on the run from the the law through most of the picture after apparently killing a motorcycle cop. But we know he didn't do it, and we know that there are criminals involved in a rival trucking company. Luckily Dix has a best buddy (John Kellogg) to help him out, but even more luckily there's a precocious teenager (Mark Dennis) who can be counted on to be there at the moment of truth. This one feels a little more unbelievable than most of them I guess but it's no less fun and the roadhouse/trucking company setting is different, even if it is all cheap sets.

4. The Return of the Whistler (D. Ross Lederman, 1948)

Michael Duane fills in for Dix in the last of the series, and does a fine job as a young (he was 2 decades younger than Dix) man who is on the road to a JP to marry his girl, a French immigrant (Lenore Aubert) who he's known for just a couple of weeks. Finding the JP gone, they check into a motel - or rather she does, as they're not married, can't violate that Production Code! - and when he returns to find her the next morning, she's gone and the motel clerk's explanation doesn't jibe. This becomes a rather familiar story of family and money and mistakes and double crosses, but it's reasonably well handled overall. RIchard Lane as private dick Traynor is the cast standout.

5. The Girl on the Bridge (Hugo Haas, 1951)

My only exposure to Czech actor/producer/screenwriter/director up to this point had been seeing him in a few of the small Hollywood parts he got in the years immediately after fleeing the Nazis - things like King Solomon's Mines - but he didn't make an impression on me. He certainly does now after getting a start on these cheap independent productions that he made in the 50s, mostly noir-tinged at the least, some certainly full-blooded entries in the cycle. Looks like this was the second in his cycle, but for whatever reason I got mixed up and watched this one first. This is certainly moody and downbeat, with the director starring as a watch repairman who makes a minimal living, working and living in a squalid district right next to the title bridge (here's a case where the title actually describes the setup for the film, a rarity). He rescues a young woman (Beverly Michaels) from throwing herself off, and gradually they develop a relationship, despite a huge age difference - one thing I really like about Haas is that he is totally conscious that his characters are older, not so attractive, and that there's something unhealthy or at least odd about the situations they find themselves in with young women - he's never pretending that it's just normal for a chunky 50+ guy who is often rather hopeless to end up with a beautiful young blonde. Here the situation is complicated by a shadow out of the woman's past, an ex-husband and baby, and the possibilities of blackmail. This is all quite deftly handled and nicely acted, and Haas mostly makes good use of his minimalist sets; it's a bit too familiar perhaps, which keeps it out of the top echelon, but still an impressive start to this series for me.

6. Mirage (Paul Williams, 1995)

Then again, you can do worse than Against All Odds. You can do this film, an uncredited Vertigo rip-off, with Edward James Olmos as the down-and-out cop (an alcoholic in this case) in a sleepy desert town (probably chosen because it was much cheaper than shooting this kind of story in a city, and cheap is certainly in evidence throughout) picked by a husband (the director, Paul Williams) to follow his wife (Sean Young), because he's got a psychological problem (not the alcoholism, interestingly) that will prevent him from acting at the crucial moment. This is just awful through and through, with again a lame-ass ending that proves that even during the Production Code era films could often be tougher than they are today - I guess during and after WWII people actually understood that life wasn't always a bed of roses, and sometimes a happy ending just wasn't going to work, and now we're too soft to tolerate gloom and doom anymore? Anyway it sure seems like the people behind these two films felt that way. I rather like Sean Young and Olmos is a really terrific actor, and both had decent careers in the 80s, with Olmos having a resurgence more recently with Battlestar Galactica, but I guess at the time this was made they must have both been pretty desperate for work, because this is really rock bottom crap.

7. Freeway (Matthew Bright, 1996)

It didn't register to me that this was a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood until I read it in the description; I guess I'm a long ways from the fairy tale, and the film certainly isn't a straightforward reworking of it. Reese Witherspoon is the antithesis of innocent here - at least on the outside - a foulmouthed teen with a hooker mother, drug addict father-in-law who has the hots for her, etc, and when she gets pissed off at the cops for taking away her parents, she decides to head out on the freeway north to see her grandmother in Stockton, CA - the freeway in question is California's I-5. Unfortunately her car breaks down and who should come along but smooth-talking Kieffer Sutherland, apparently a therapist of some sort, who ends up a lot darker (think Big Bad Wolf) than he appears. The long, long conversation the two have as he drives her north is really great, easily the highlight of the film, but when the film starts to go pretty heavily into that dark and violent territory it kind of lost me; I guess it all felt very nihilistic and for much of the film it felt to me like Witherspoon and her "low life" friends and family were portrayed as pretty disgusting though it's clear that the film wants us to think otherwise; it just seemed very confused in it's messaging to me, with the weird cop played by Wolfgang Bodson in particular a character that didn't make sense. At the same time it was consistently involving, so I dunno - a mixed, mixed feeling at this point is the only way to describe it.

8. Partners (Peter James Iengo, 2009)

Definitely would never have known about this one if not for RedLetterMedia's Best of the Worst. Thanks dudes! Every once in a while, when you're as jaded as I am, and have seen as many bad movies as I've seen, you start to lose faith in the ability of a terrible film to touch your soul and to change your life; sometimes, though, if you're lucky, a film will come along that will restore your faith in the power of the Truly Terrible Film. Partners is such a masterwork. Director/Producer/Writer/DP/Editor Iengo has, with the help of immediate family and friends who may possibly know even less about film than he does, crafted a loving example of nearly everything that you shouldn't do in a film, and made us aware of it literally every second. Aaron Katter as (apparently) chief bad guy Peskin seems to be channeling the worst moments of Quentin Tarantino - as actor and interviewee - and then adding a dose of speed to it; Iengo's "cinematography" manages to frame the action nicely or appropriately maybe, oh, 5% of the time. Screenwriter Iengo offers one of the most laughable plot twists towards the end that I've ever seen - and then makes it worse by having guy-who-was-thought-to-be-dead explain it all and make it even more nonsensical. He also offers quite a few bits of romantic or personal dialogue in the most inappropriate places ever, and may well be the worst filmer of action scenes that I've ever seen. The fact that this was made in 2009 is astounding - even cheap, accessible-to-everyone digital cameras should have been able to provide better quality at this point; this is uglier DV than most films I've seen from a decade earlier. But the ineptness does in the end work to create a pretty hilarious entertainment, and while I know this is high praise, I have to say it - Iengo shows the promise here of being the 21st century's Ed Wood. Move over, Uwe Boll.

9. Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019)

Sigh. I love Ahhhnnoollddd. I'll keep going to these as long as he's in them, and I'll keep seeing other schlocky action films he's in as long as he keeps making them. But the return on my investment was pretty low - lower than for the last film Genisys which I liked much more than most people - because it was CRAZY and I like that in a time-travel movie in a series that has continuously and deliberately fucked up it's own continuity over the decades. This one is much more "normal" and "smooth" - but it feels mostly like a retread of the first two films, not surprising as it ignores the 3rd and later ones. A reboot I guess, a reimagining, whatever you want to call it. I don't know what else to say about it - I liked it whenever Arnold or Mackenzie Davis, as the enhanced human time traveller sent back to save this continuity's equivalent of John Conner from destruction, were on screen, which to be fair is most of the film, and I didn't like too much else. The first action scene, mostly a chase, is pretty solid; the last super-extended series of action sequences which are about the last 1/2 hour of the film (more?) go into the too-silly-to-be-fun area for me. Blah-meh.

10. Second Chance (James Tinling, 1947)

Super-cheapie from Sol M. Wurtzel Productions, distributed by Fox, and running a very fast-paced 63 minutes, about a couple of jewel thieves who meet cute sort-of while disguised as legit businesspeople, and end up allied and eventually in danger from much more serious and violent crooks. Enjoyable enough fluff with a bunch of b-stars that I recognized but certainly couldn't have names, among them Kent Taylor, Louise Currie and John Eldredge who probably made the biggest mark on the film as the most "sophisticated" of the cons. The director's name was totally unfamiliar to me - pretty rare in a noir from this period - but it looks like this is the 4th film of his I've seen - I guess that's not much praise.

11. Unmasked (George Blair, 1950)

John Eldredge also appears in this similarly cheap programmer from Republic 3 years later, also from a director who is a blank to me though in this case my memory isn't faulty as it's the first Blair film I've seen. But Eldredge isn't the standout here, that place is amply filled by star Raymond Burr, playing I suppose his typical heavy from this period, a scandal sheet editor who is falling on hard times, only continuing to keep his rag going because of help from an ex-showgirl (Hillary Brooke) who he's having an affair with while she uses some of rich hubby Paul Harvey's dough to support him. But things go the wrong way soon and SOMEBODY'S GOT TO DIE!!! This is mostly ordinary stuff, with a dull cop and a sweet girl, daughter of the rich hubby, for him to get involved with, but it's Burr who elevates this into watchable, even modestly "good" territory with one of his most vicious and amoral characters.

12. One Girl's Confession (Hugo Haas, 1953)

Haas is one of those rare noir filmmakers whose titles usually have specific relevance to the stories, and this is no exception. In this case the one girl is again Cleo Moore, and her confession is delivered early on - she robs the owner of the restaurant she works for of $25,000, gets nabbed, confesses to the crime (but not to the location of the loot) and spends a few years in jail. When she gets out the restaurant is out of business, but there's a new guy in the same low-rent waterfront area (Hugo Haas) who gives her a job. New guy is a heavy drinker and gambler, and when he loses it all and is desperate, sweet-hearted Cleo (who only committed her crime because her ex-boss had swindled her father) agrees to help him out - but is apparently then cheated by loser Haas. Lots of cross-double-cross here and it's engaging enough but it ultimately didn't feel as compelling to me as most of Haas' other work - a little too "nice", maybe.

13. Bait (Hugo Haas, 1954)

Really cool intro, with a light illuminating a bit of a staircase, as a figure walks up in total darkness - that figure turns out to be none other than Sir Cedrick Hardwicke, introducing this little morality play as the Devil himself! Alas the movie as a whole can't quite live up to this cool opening, but it's not bad, probably average or just slightly below for Haas. The bait here is a girl, of course - Haas is a prospector who reluctantly takes on a younger partner (John Agar, a mediocre 2nd-tier actor who did some of his best work for Haas) to find a mine that he'd abandoned years ago, and then takes on the help of a young woman (Cleo Moore again) and concocts a scheme whereby he'll get all the gold and not have to share with Agar or Moore. Reasonably well done in the Treasure of the Sierra Madre vein, with a pretty cool ending, but certainly not one to push first onto non-Haas fans.

14. Ajeossi / The Man From Nowhere (Jeong-Beom Lee, 2010)

Listed as "neo noir" on IMDb. While the opening shot - a cigarette being lit in the darkness - is certainly redolent of noir style, I'm not so sure about the film as a whole. Yes, we have a man caught in a noir-like labyrinth of crime and intrigue, but in this case the man is a near-superhuman special forces dude and the way the film plays out is closer to the typical revenge drama that is so prevalent in Korean, and hell, most national cinemas it seems since the 1970s. Still it's reasonably involving, and while there's a fair amount of action, it's mostly rather subdued until a big set-piece near the end. Basic story is about a bunch of dealers in drugs and organs - often taken from living victims - getting on the wrong side of our hero when they abduct his neighbor and her young child, and him going against them and police who of course don't know who he is because he is (of course) living as a low-rent pawnshop owner in his retirement from his former life of action and violence. Really, is that what cops and special agents do? Anyway, it's all right, with just a minimum of the typical melodrama, and not really overlong at just under 2 hours.

15. Hold Back Tomorrow (Hugo Haas, 1955)

Another minimally-noir film I'd say. Would-be suicide and lady of the night Cleo Moore, fished out of the river by a kindly stranger, is given the chance to make some real money - and of course a chance for "redemption" of some kind - when police approach her with the idea of having her spend a night in the company of convicted strangler John Agar, a vicious and nihilistic man who is to die the next day. Despite Agar's initial anger and violence, the film soon settles down into a mood piece about spiritual absolution, and about two lonely strangers connecting, if only for a moment. There are bits in this that feel really special but it doesn't quite gel and feels a bit too "movie" at the end; still an interesting detour for Haas, and the only film in his noir cycle in which he doesn't appear.

16. Casbah (John Berry, 1948)

What, a musical, set in an exotic land, and starring lightweight singer/actor Tony Martin, film noir? Well, yes, when it's another remake of Pépé le Moko, it's directed by the guy who did Tension and He Ran All the Way as his next two films, and it's got noir stalwarts Peter Lorre, Thomas Gomez and my buddy Hugo Haas in supporting roles. It's been a while since I've seen the original, and the copies of Algiers (my favorite of the three) out there are so atrocious it's hard to know what's going on all the time, but this seems reasonably faithful to the original, and if you're worried about the music, don't be - not that many songs, and most of them only 1-2 minute snippets, and just one short-ish dance sequence. Tony Martin is no Charles Boyer, but Lorre and Haas go a long way towards making up for that, and Yvonne De Carlo and Märta Torén as the female leads are both fine, and DP Irving Glassberg's work is pretty good too - it's low budget b/w exotica, but that's what we want in a noir setting in this period I think.

albajos

Post by albajos » November 18th, 2019, 8:12 pm

046. 18 Again! (1988) USA 261 checks 5 favs
047. Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004) USA | Canada | Germany 15 387 checks 562 favs
048. Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay (2008) USA 8 059 checks 167 favs
049. A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (2011) USA 3 560 checks 58 favs
050. Brüno (2009) USA | UK 10 143 checks 184 favs
051. Dude, Where's My Car? (2000) USA 16 292 checks 299 favs
052. 50 First Dates (2004) USA 27 601 checks 840 favs
This could have been a classic, if Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider had stayed away. Just as I was excited for Pixels until I saw it was a Happy Madison production.

Not the greatest day, at least they're comedies so somewhat easily consumable.

On paths no one wants to thread ...officiallyShow
001. Late Night (2019) USA 316 checks 10 favs
002. Confirmation (2016) USA 154 checks 3 favs
003. Overboard (2018) USA 368 checks 9 favs
004. Addams Family Reunion (1998) USA 802 checks 7 favs
005. Hello, My Name Is Doris (2015) USA 681 checks 32 favs
006. Månelyst i Flåklypa (2018) Norway 31 checks
007. Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase (2019) USA 48 checks 1 fav
008. Bright (2017) USA 2 261 checks 65 favs
009. Bessie (2015) USA 134 checks 3 favs
010. Sherlock Holmes Faces Death (1943) USA 212 checks 10 favs
011. The Scarlet Claw (1944) USA 327 checks 16 favs
012. The Spider Woman (1943) USA 168 checks 5 favs [double]
013. The Happytime Murders (2018) USA | China 437 checks 7 favs [double]
014. Dance Flick (2009) USA 585 checks 4 favs
015. Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love (2019) UK | USA 13 checks
016. School for Scoundrels (1960) UK 446 checks 20 favs
017. For vi er gutta (2018) Norway 10 checks 1 fav 10,0% fav ratio
018. The Weight of Water (2000) USA | Canada | France 279 checks 2 favs
019. Blind (2014) Norway | Netherlands 498 checks 46 favs 9.2% fav ratio
020. Andrine og Kjell (2014) Norway 5 checks
021. Søsken på guds jord (2014) Norway 2 checks
022. Dora and the Lost City of Gold (2019) USA | Mexico | Australia 77 checks 7 favs 9,1% fav ratio
023. Los Bando (2018) Norway | Sweden 12 checks
024. Skyggenes dal (2017) Norway 50 checks 2 favs
025. Fuck Up (2012) Norway 68 checks 1 fav
026. Heart of Lightness - Søvnløs i Lofoten (2014) Norway 4 checks
027. Den 12. mann (2017) Norway 271 checks 10 favs
028. Røverdatter (2018) Norway 25 checks 2 favs
029. Pornopung (2013) Norway 156 checks 2 favs
030. Karenina & I (2017) Norway 1 check
031. Bambieffekten (2011) Norway 45 checks 1 fav
032. Extreme Movie (2008) USA 547 checks 2 favs
033. A Very Corgi Christmas (2019) Canada 1 check
034. Før snøen faller (2013) Norway | Germany | Iraq 43 checks 1 fav
035. Når jeg faller (2018) Norway 8 checks
036. Noelle (2019) USA 5 checks 1 fav
037. Radio Christmas (2019) Canada 2 checks
038. Rock and Roll Christmas (2019) Canada 1 check
039. Hogfather (2006) UK 551 checks 59 favs 10,7% fav ratio
040. What's Your Number? (2011) USA 3 999 checks 99 favs
041. Cheaper by the Dozen (2003) USA 10 346 checks 100 favs
042. Cheaper by the Dozen 2 (2005) USA | Canada 5 457 checks 40 favs
043. Neverwhere (1996) UK 109 checks 8 favs 7,3% fav ratio
044. Anything Else (2003) USA | France | UK 2 771 checks 67 favs
045. Oh, God! (1977) USA 437 checks 11 favs
047. Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004) USA | Canada | Germany 15 387 checks 562 favs

16 norwegian movies so far + 1 with norwegian (supporting) actors (Overboard) and +2 with norwegian plot (The Weight of Water, Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love)

!seen 52

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » November 19th, 2019, 12:07 am

SpoilerShow
1. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 2019, in 0 top lists 6/10
2. Just Mercy 2019, in 0 top lists 8/10
3. The King 2019, in 0 top lists 5/10
4. Brain on Fire 2016, in 0 top lists 7/10
5. Fyre 2019, in 0 top lists 7/10
6. Waves 2019, in 0 top lists 9/10
7. Falling Inn Love 2019, in 0 top lists
8. Gay Chorus Deep South 2019, in 0 top lists 7/10
9. Love, Antosha 2019, in 0 top lists 10/10
10. Terminator: Dark Fate 2019, in 0 top lists 5/10
11. Gemini Man 2019, in 0 top lists 5/10
12. After Parkland 2019, in 0 top lists 8/10
13. Marriage Story 2019, in 0 top lists 6/10
14. Hai Phuong 2019 — a.k.a. Furie, in 0 top lists 6/10
15. Burning Cane 2019, in 0 top lists 6/10
16. The Open House 2018, in 0 top lists 5/10
17. Deviant Love 2019, in 0 top lists 4/10
18. Let It Snow 2016, in 0 top lists 6/10
19. 19. Seth Meyers: Lobby Baby 2019, in 0 top lists 9/10
20. Home Is Where the Killer Is 2019, in 0 top lists 5/10
21. Christmas in the Wild 2019 — a.k.a. Holiday In The Wild, in 0 top lists 6/10
22. IO 2019, in 0 top lists 5/10
23. A Hidden Life 2019, in 0 top lists 7/10
24. Je ne suis pas un homme facile 2018 — a.k.a. I Am Not an Easy Man, in 0 top lists
25. L'ascension 2017 — a.k.a. The Climb, in 0 top lists
26. Echo In the Canyon 2018, in 0 top lists
27. Shao nian de ni 2019 — a.k.a. Better Days, in 0 top lists
28. Gully Boy 2019, in 0 top lists
29. Last Christmas 2019, in 0 top lists
30. Her Smell 2018, in 0 top lists [Rewatch, third viewing (first viewing 11/18, second viewing 8/19)]
31. Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am 2019, in 0 top lists 8/10
32. Dark Waters 2019, in 0 top lists
33. Cosh Boy 1953 — a.k.a. The Slasher, in 0 top lists
34. Women of Twilight 1952 — a.k.a. Twilight Women, in 0 top lists
35. Charlie's Angels 2019, in 0 top lists 6/10
36. The Truth 2019, in 0 top lists 8/10
37. Queen & Slim 2019, in 0 top lists 6/10
38. The Good Liar 2019, in 0 top lists 6/10
39. It Comes at Night 2017, in 0 top lists
40. The Song of Names in 0 top lists,
41. Alan Pakula: Going for Truth 2019, in 0 top lists 8/10
42.The Bleeder 2016 — a.k.a. Chuck, in 0 top lists
43. Diana 2013, in 0 top lists
44. Shut In 2016, in 0 top lists

sebby

Post by sebby » November 19th, 2019, 1:16 am

16 The Unknown Girl (2016)
17 Shaun the Sheep Movie (2015)
18 Time Trap (2017)
19 Everybody's Fine (2009)
20 The Game Changers (2018)
21 Tell Me Who I Am (2019)

SpoilerShow
01 The Lighthouse (2019)
02 Thoroughbreds (2017)
03 T.R. Baskin (1971)
04 Side Effects (2013)
05 Echo (1964)
06 300 Miles to Heaven (1989)
07 Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)
08 The Brink's Job (1978)
09 Unsane (2018)
10 A Hard Day (2014)
11 Korczak (1990)
12 The Cage Fighter (2017)
13 Slither (1973)
14 Seize the Day (1986)
15 Where the Buffalo Roam (1980)
16 The Unknown Girl (2016)
17 Shaun the Sheep Movie (2015)
18 Time Trap (2017)
19 Everybody's Fine (2009)
20 The Game Changers (2018)
21 Tell Me Who I Am (2019)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 19th, 2019, 2:42 am

What happens when an NFL ref gets fired?Show
1. Sneakers (1992)
2. Don't Think Twice (2016)
3. Jimmy Carr: The Best of Ultimate Gold Greatest Hits (2019)
4. The Hungover Games (2014)
5. David Cross: Oh Come On (2019)
6. Bunny Yeager's Nude Las Vegas (1964)
7. Abacus: Small Enough to Jail (2016)
8. Thunder Road (2018)
9. Seth Meyers: Lobby Baby (2019)
10. Movie 43 (2013)
11. Diamantino (2018)
12. Lovesong (2016)
13. Bridget Christie: Stand Up for Her (2016)
14. Escape from Crime (1942)
15. Cuba and the Cameraman (2017)
16. Shirkers (2018)
17. The Parent Trap (1961)
18. The Chumscrubber (2005)
This is weird and utterly ridiculous, but awesome. A young man finds his friend dead from suicide... and walks out without telling anyone, figuring they won't care. And thus begins a brilliant dark comedy about upper-class suburbia and how everyone is too self-involved to care about anyone or anything else. It has an amazing cast (Allison Janney, Glenn Close, Carrie-Anne Moss, Ralph Fiennes, Rita Wilson, to name a few) and nails the effect they were going for. Quite a lot of fun to watch.

19. Kathleen Madigan: Madigan Again (2013)
Rewatch because I like her. She's funny.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » November 19th, 2019, 3:38 am

The unofficial huddled masses yearning to be watchedShow
1. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (Edward Zwick-2016) USA 1,913 checks 22 favs
2. Now and Then (Lesli Linka Glatter-1995) USA 2,052 checks 154 favs (7.5%)
3. Piglet's Big Movie (Francis Glebas-2003) USA 948 checks 15 favs
4. Hang 'em High (Ted Post-1968) USA 1,648 checks 62 favs
5. Step Across the Border (Nicolas Humbert, Werner Penzel-1990) Switzerland, Germany 22 checks 4 favs (18.2%)
6. Freaky Friday (Mark Waters-2003) USA 18,461 checks 297 favs
7. Hollow in the Land (Scooter Corkle-2017) Canada 18 checks 0 favs
8. The Ice Pirates (Stewart Raffill-1984) USA 344 checks 11 favs
9. Limitless (Neil Burger-2011) USA 25,589 checks 1,376 favs (5.4%)
10. Meari to majo no hana {aka Mary and the Witch's Flower} (Hiromasa Yonebayashi, Giles New-2017) Japan 542 checks 19 favs
11. Gun for a Coward (Abner Biberman-1957) USA 23 checks 0 favs
12. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (Mike Mitchell-2019) Denmark, Norway, Australia, USA 1,207 checks 37 favs
13. Fist Fight (Richie Keen-2017) USA 682 checks 10 favs
14. Waka okami wa shôgakusei! {aka Okko's Inn} (Kitaro Kosaka-2018) Japan 38 checks 1 favs
15. Another Day of Life (Damian Nenow, Raúl de la Fuente-2018) Poland, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Hungary, France 42 checks 5 favs (11.9%)
16. Between Two Ferns: The Movie (Scott Aukerman-2019) USA 625 checks 8 favs
17. La jeune fille sans mains {aka The Girl Without Hands} (Sébastien Laudenbach-2016) France 85 checks 3 favs
18. Pihu (Kapri Vinod-2018) India 12 checks 1 favs (8.3%)
19. Source Code (Duncan Jones-2011) USA 27,233 checks 1,299 favs
20. Time Trap (Mark Dennis, Ben Foster-2017) USA 109 checks 3 favs
21. Tall Girl (Nzingha Stewart-2019) USA 183 checks 4 favs
22. La Casa Lobo {aka The Wolf House} (Joaquín Cociña, Cristóbal León-2018) Chile, Germany 183 checks 14 favs (17.9%)
23. Pee-Wee's Big Holiday (John Lee-2016) USA 326 checks 12 favs

24. For Sama (Edward Watts, Waad Al-Khateab-2019) USA 35 checks 8 favs (22.9%)

A young mother makes a documentary for her daughter and captures the uprising in Aleppo, Syria.

Does it belong on a list? Yes. This documentary really captures the ground-level consequences of war.

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » November 19th, 2019, 3:53 am

21. Having Wonderful Time-1938: 7/10
SpoilerShow
1. Stuber-2019: 8/10
2. ...And Justice or All-1979: 7/10
3. Find the Blackmailer-1943: 8/10
4. The Pilgrim-2019: 8/10
5. The Great Gildersleeve-1942: 6/10
6. Congo-1995: 8/10 (rewatch)
7. Buzzard-2014: 8/10
8. Moon in Scorpio-1987: 3/10
9. Blood Crime-2002: 7/10
10. Gildersleeve's Bad Day-1943: 7/10
11. Santa Fe Trail-`940: 6/10
12. Rabid-2019: 8/10
13. The Big Picture-1989: 7/10
14. Lost Souls-2000: 4/10
15. Satan Met a Lady-1936: 7/10
16. Punisher: War Zone-2008: 10/10 (rewatch)
17. Station West-1948: 8/10
18. Rage and Honor II: Hostile Takeover-1993: 6/10
19. Bad Ronald-1974: 8/10
20. Hack-O-Lantern-1988: 7/10

frbrown

Post by frbrown » November 19th, 2019, 7:49 am

63. Mortal Passions (1989)
64. Sleeping with the Enemy (1991)
65. The 3rd Voice (1960)

SpoilerShow
1. Chase a Crooked Shadow (1958)
2. Daybreak (1948)
3. Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2009)
4. Death of a Scoundrel (1956)
5. Calling Homicide (1956)
6. The Bedroom Window (1987)
7. Cover Girl Killer (1959)
8. Heist (2001)
9. The Bonnie Parker Story (1958)
10. The Steel Jungle (1956)
11. I'll Get You for This (1951)
12. The Return of the Whistler (1948)
13. Iron Man (1951)
14. The Getaway (1994)
15. The Long Haul (1957)
16. Sealed Lips (1942)
17. The Lost Hours (1952)
18. Cry Wolf (1947)
19. Behind the High Wall (1956)
20. Chicago Syndicate (1955)
21. I, Jane Doe (1948)
22. Kiss of Death (1995)
23. I, the Jury (1982)
24. The Mysterious Mr. Valentine (1946)
25. Never Let Go (1960)
26. The Houston Story (1956)
27. Avant le deluge (1954)
28. Diary of a Hitman (1991)
29. Lust for Gold (1949)
30. Faces in the Dark (1960)
31. The Morning After (1986)
32. The Story of Molly X (1949)
33. The Nickel Ride (1974)
34. Voici le temps des assassins... (1956)
35. The Judge (1949)
36. A Rage in Harlem (1991)
37. Joe MacBeth (1955)
38. F.B.I. Girl (1951)
39. Smile Jenny, You're Dead (1974)
40. Cloudburst (1951)
41. Femme Fatale (1991)
42. Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman (1947)
43. The Last Page (1952)
44. The First Deadly Sin (1980)
45. The Shop at Sly Corner (1947)
46. Confession (1955)
47. Best Seller (1987)
48. Bad Influence (1990)
49. Narrow Margin (1990)
50. Golden Salamander (1950)
51. Man on Fire (2004)
52. Hell Bound (1957)
53. The Missing Juror (1944)
54. The Challenge (1960)
55. Hit List (1989)
56. The Man in the Net (1959)
57. The Man Who Died Twice (1958)
58. No Man's Woman (1955)
59. Mr. Denning Drives North (1951)
60. Sharky's Machine (1981)
61. Genuine Risk (1990)
62. The Killing Time (1987)
65. The 3rd Voice (1960)

PUNQ

Post by PUNQ » November 19th, 2019, 10:45 am

96. Our Hearts Were Young and Gay (1944, Lewis Allen) - 5/10
--- Bundle of silly. Oh, and a rare sound appearance of Dorothy Gish! That was the thing that intrigued me the most, even if she was way in the background compared to the young bubbly girls, who did make this lively.

97. Papa wa Warumono Champion [My Dad Is a Heel Wrestler] (2018, Kyôhei Fujimura) - 6/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Love me some Tanahashi playing a fictional version of himself <3

98. Strange Affair (1944, Alfred E. Green) - 5/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Ticks all the boxes for a good B-version of a Thin Man snoop story, except for a enchanting leading man. Allyn Joslyn is a character actor I associate more with annoying brother-in-laws and that sort of thing, so I'm still struggling with his elevation into leading roles in 1944. He's got a lot of personality, just not the right one for this kind of thing. The rest of Strange Affair (1944) sits well, including Frank Jenks as a police investigator, so it's a lot of fun.

99. Mr. Winkle Goes to War (1944, Alfred E. Green) - 6/10
--- Gentle war entry with Edward G. Robinson as a mild-mannered aging man who shows he's got courage, his own kind of courage. Pretty straight-forward, and in that regard it fulfills it's propaganda duty, but it was also a good movie leaving one with a pleasing and satisfactory feeling.

100. Nine Girls (1944, Leigh Jason) - 4/10
--- I kinda liked Ann Harding in a murder mystery, but this was done way too clumsily to capture any suspense or take advantage of it's comic touches. Okay at best.

101. Tawny Pipit (1944, Bernard Miles & Charles Saunders) - 5/10
--- Amusing and flimsy British war-time comedy. Certainly had the characters, but it wasn't always amazingly funny. Didn't really matter for it did plant a big smile on my face.

102. Her Primitive Man (1944, Charles Lamont) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- I like myself some Edward Everett Horton and a few of the other funny guys here, but I didn't like Her Primitive Man (1944). That angle didn't really work. Thankfully the humor was kind of dry, so it didn't become unbearable.

103. Hey, Rookie (1944, Charles Barton) - 3/10
--- A whole lot of that musical-nonsense war themed. And a whole lot of it just not funny. Didn't work for me.

104. Enter Arsene Lupin (1944, Ford Beebe) - 5/10
--- Introducing Charles Korvin as Arsene Lupin. His Hollywood debut and he was a slick character. But this wouldn't have been as enchanting had it not been for Ella Raines alluring eyes. Those were the attractions in this B-mystery.

105. Hi, Good Lookin'! (1944, Edward C. Lilley) - 4/10
--- Snappy pointless musical.

106. Action in Arabia (1944, Léonide Moguy) - 6/10
--- Action in Arabia (1944) is a uncomplicated espionage suspenser with George Sanders deep in trouble. Moves smooth enough with dubious characters to make up for any shortcomings with the story may have. For it's more a direct and effective plot than one filled with red herrings. And that's why it became a pleasurable thriller.

107. Sweet and Low-Down (1944, Archie Mayo) - 5/10
--- A band story with Benny Goodman as the drawing power. And you can bet there is a girl and a greedy manager that'll break-up the band. Fairly typical stuff, but this was fine enough with the women making it good.

108. Trocadero (1944, William Nigh) - 4/10
--- Night club drama on a budget. Mostly tedious, but I kind of liked the curio of this. Features a cameo from out-of-favor cartoon legend Dave Fleischer appearing as himself as well as providing a little bit of animation to this affair.

109. Tampico (1944, Lothar Mendes) - 5/10
--- Ship captain Edward G. Robinson having to deal with Nazi snitches. Tampico (1944) is not a amazing war related movie, but it has it's moments, especially when Lynn Bari was involved. The mystique surrounding her was clearly what held this movie afloat, even if the speculation was the opposite regarding the ships in this film.

110. The Racket Man (1944, D. Ross Lederman) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Crook gets reformed because of the war. No as life changing for the viewer, but treat this Tom Neal vehicle as a basic time waster and it'll be alright.

SpoilerShow
1. It Happened One Sunday (1944, Karel Lamac) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
2. Crazy Knights (1944, William Beaudine) - 3/10
3. Murder in the Blue Room (1944, Leslie Goodwins) - 4/10
4. The Falcon in Mexico (1944, William Berke) - 4/10
5. The Falcon in Hollywood (1944, Gordon Douglas) - 5/10
6. Up in Mabel's Room (1944, Allan Dwan) - 6/10
7. 3 Men in White (1944, Willis Goldbeck) - 5/10
8. Casanova in Burlesque (1944, Leslie Goodwins) - 4/10
9. Casanova Brown (1944, Sam Wood) - 5/10
10. La dame masquée (1924, Viktor Tourjansky) - 4/10
11. Nattliga toner [Night Music] (1918, Georg af Klercker) - 3/10
12. Mordets melodi [Murder Melody] (1944, Bodil Ipsen) - 4/10
13. A Night of Magic (1944, Herbert Wynne) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
14. Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (1944, Arthur Lubin) - 7/10
15. Youth Aflame (1944, Elmer Clifton) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
16. Delinquent Daughters (1944, Albert Herman) - 2/10
17. Nothing But Trouble (1944, Sam Taylor) - 4/10
18. Seven Doors to Death (1944, Elmer Clifton) - 3/10
19. Shake Hands with Murder (1944, Albert Herman) - 4/10
20. Knickerbocker Holiday (1944, Harry Joe Brown) - 4/10
21. The Princess and the Pirate (1944, David Butler & Sidney Lanfield) - 6/10
22. The Heavenly Body (1944, Alexander Hall & Vincente Minnelli) - 5/10
23. Show Business (1944, Edwin L. Marin) - 4/10
24. Mr. Emmanuel (1944, Harold French) - 5/10
25. Give Us the Moon (1944, Val Guest) - 4/10
26. The Halfway House (1944, Basil Dearden & Alberto Cavalcanti) - 6/10
27. The Hairy Ape (1944, Alfred Santell) - 5/10
28. Don't Take It to Heart (1944, Jeffrey Dell) - 6/10
29. Brazil (1944, Joseph Santley) - 5/10
30. The Impostor (1944, Julien Duvivier) - 4/10
31. Thrill of Youth (1932, Richard Thorpe) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
32. No Marriage Ties (1933, J. Walter Ruben) - 5/10
33. Irish Eyes Are Smiling (1944, Gregory Ratoff) - 6/10
34. Maisie Goes to Reno (1944, Harry Beaumont) - 6/10
35. Blackmailer (1936, Gordon Wiles) - 4/10
36. All Women Have Secrets (1939, Kurt Neumann) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
37. Death of a Champion (1939, Robert Florey) - 4/10
38. Men of the Timberland (1941, John Rawlins) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
39. Mutiny in the Arctic (1941, John Rawlins) - 3/10
40. The Impatient Years (1944, Irving Cummings) - 5/10
41. Lost in a Harem (1944, Charles Reisner) - 6/10
42. Once Upon a Time (1944, Alexander Hall) - 4/10
43. The Climax (1944, George Waggner) - 5/10
44. Something for the Boys (1944, Lewis Seiler) - 5/10
45. Step Lively (1944, Tim Whelan) - 4/10
46. Dangerous Passage (1944, William Berke) - 3/10
47. The Girl Who Dared (1944, Howard Bretherton) - 5/10
48. Dark Mountain (1944, William Berke) - 4/10
49. Rogues Gallery (1944, Albert Herman) - 3/10
50. Port of 40 Thieves (1944, John English) - 4/10
51. Leave It to the Irish (1944, William Beaudine) - 4/10
52. Atlantic City (1944, Ray McCarey) - 4/10
53. Timber Queen (1944, Frank McDonald) - 3/10
54. Machine Gun Mama (1944, Harold Young) - 2/10
55. Sensations of 1945 (1944, Andrew L. Stone) - 4/10
56. Now It Can Be Told (1944, Teddy Baird) - 5/10
57. I'll Be Seeing You (1944, William Dieterle & George Cukor) - 6/10
58. Till We Meet Again (1944, Frank Borzage) - 6/10
59. Hotel Reserve (1944, Lance Comfort, Mutz Greenbaum & Victor Hanbury) - 5/10
60. Time Flies (1944, Walter Forde) - 4/10
61. Lady, Let's Dance (1944, Frank Woodruff) - 4/10
62. Candles at Nine (1944, John Harlow) - 5/10
63. The Scarlet Claw (1944, Roy William Neill) - 7/10
64. The Pearl of Death (1944, Roy William Neill) - 7/10
65. The Last Ride (1944, D. Ross Lederman) - 4/10
66. Sunday Dinner for a Soldier (1944, Lloyd Bacon) - 5/10
67. San Diego I Love You (1944, Reginald Le Borg) - 5/10
68. Cry of the Werewolf (1944, Henry Levin) - 4/10
69. Million Dollar Kid (1944, Wallace Fox) - 4/10
70. Secrets of Scotland Yard (1944, George Blair) - 3/10
71. Blonde Fever (1944, Richard Whorf) - 4/10
72. I Accuse My Parents (1944, Sam Newfield) - 2/10
73. Thundering Gun Slingers (1944, Sam Newfield) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
74. The Drifter (1944, Sam Newfield) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
75. Sweethearts of the U.S.A. (1944, Lewis D. Collins) - 3/10
76. Greenwich Village (1944, Walter Lang) - 4/10
77. Tomorrow, the World! (1944, Leslie Fenton) - 5/10
78. And Now Tomorrow (1944, Irving Pichel) - 4/10
79. The Great Mike (1944, Wallace Fox) - 4/10
80. Make Your Own Bed (1944, Peter Godfrey) - 4/10
81. Heavenly Days (1944, Howard Estabrook) - 5/10
82. Crime by Night (1944, William Clemens) - 4/10
83. Detective Kitty O'Day (1944, William Beaudine) - 4/10
84. Return of the Ape Man (1944, Phil Rosen) - 3/10
85. The Soul of a Monster (1944, Will Jason) - 3/10
86. Carolina Blues (1944, Leigh Jason) - 4/10
87. The Great Moment (1944, Preston Sturges) - 5/10
88. Tabaluga [Ice Princess Lily] (2018, Sven Unterwaldt Jr.) - 3/10
89. It Happened Tomorrow (1944, René Clair) - 6/10
90. Bride by Mistake (1944, Richard Wallace) - 4/10
91. Abroad with Two Yanks (1944, Allan Dwan) - 5/10 - FIRST CHECK!
92. Practically Yours (1944, Mitchell Leisen) - 5/10
93. Western Approaches (1944, Pat Jackson) - 6/10 - FIRST CHECK!
94. Dora and the Lost City of Gold (2019, James Bobin) - 5/10
95. Lady and the Tramp (2019, Charlie Bean) - 4/10
96. Our Hearts Were Young and Gay (1944, Lewis Allen) - 5/10
97. Papa wa Warumono Champion [My Dad Is a Heel Wrestler] (2018, Kyôhei Fujimura) - 6/10 - FIRST CHECK!
98. Strange Affair (1944, Alfred E. Green) - 5/10 - FIRST CHECK!
99. Mr. Winkle Goes to War (1944, Alfred E. Green) - 6/10100. Nine Girls (1944, Leigh Jason) - 4/10
101. Tawny Pipit (1944, Bernard Miles & Charles Saunders) - 5/10
102. Her Primitive Man (1944, Charles Lamont) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
103. Hey, Rookie (1944, Charles Barton) - 3/10
104. Enter Arsene Lupin (1944, Ford Beebe) - 5/10
105. Hi, Good Lookin'! (1944, Edward C. Lilley) - 4/10
106. Action in Arabia (1944, Léonide Moguy) - 6/10
107. Sweet and Low-Down (1944, Archie Mayo) - 5/10
108. Trocadero (1944, William Nigh) - 4/10
109. Tampico (1944, Lothar Mendes) - 5/10
110. The Racket Man (1944, D. Ross Lederman) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!

ororama

Post by ororama » November 19th, 2019, 12:19 pm

11. Citizen Ruth (1996) * 106 min.

SpoilerShow
1. Isa Pa with Feelings (2019) * 102 min.
2. Jojo Rabbit (2019) * 108 min.
3. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019) * 119 min.
4. Last Christmas (2019) * 102 min.
5. Attack of the Lederhosen Zombies (2016) * 77 min.
6. Housefull (2010) * 144 min.
7. The Passion of Martin (1991) * 49 min.
8. The Kingmaker (2019) * 101 min.
9. Ju No-myeong Bakery/ Love Bakery (2000) * 106 min.
10. Clerks II (2006) * 97 min.

*First time viewing.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » November 19th, 2019, 1:47 pm

6. Jigsaw (2017)
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

ryebass

Post by ryebass » November 19th, 2019, 1:56 pm

12. The Blank Generation (1976) - 2/10

This was a grueling 56 minutes (or whatever it was), the music only saving it a teeny bit as most of the performances (all?) were demos and mostly not all that great outside of historic curiosity. I'm not a fan of punk save for a few exceptions (I can stomach The Ramones, for example: they had a thing and did it with conviction and it didn't come off as sloppy etc.) but never 'got' the aesthetic. I'm 47 and Swedish death/black/et al speaks more to me. That being said, I would argue that only 10 percent of the music and musicians contained within this are really 'punk'. Rather, American 'New Wave' 'ish...essesntially 70's hipster, but super eclectic even given that (see The Marbles for instance, very proggy sophisticated sounding to my ears, or Talking Heads). It seems the criteria for inclusion was more along the lines of 'played at CBGB's, rather than any consistent musical style...but I digress...my issue comes down to this massive thing with THE AUDIO NOT EVEN REMOTELY LINING UP WITH THE VISUALS. Wikipedia tells me this was intentional and very avante-garde, and perhaps in the right context loads of fun and functional. But not here. It was just plain irritating.

And one final note, riffing along the whole 'punk' thing: the audiences that one sees at these performances are seated with cocktails in hand, some of them indulging in subtle head nodding (not precisely head-banging, think more polite jazz club) certainly no moshing. I thought this was fascinating given the reputation punk has.
SpoilerShow
1. Child's Play (1972) - 6/10
2. Death at a Funeral (2007) - 8.5/10
3. Another Woman (1988) - 8/10
4. Anti-Clock (1979) - 4/10
5. Carnage (2011) - 6.5/10
6. Brian Eno: 1971-1977 - The Man Who Fell to Earth (2012) - 6.5/10
7. The Chosen (1981) - 7/10
8. And Now for Something Completely Different (1971) - 7.5/10
9. Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) - 6.5/10
10. Bloodline (1979) - 3/10
11. Omnibus: Dance of the Seven Veils (1970) - 2/10
12. The Blank Generation (1976) - 2/10

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 19th, 2019, 3:11 pm

We're On the Island of Unofficial FilmsShow

1. Mysterious Intruder (William Castle, 1946)
2. The Secret of the Whistler (George Sherman, 1946)
3. The Thirteenth Hour (William Clemens, 1947)
4. The Return of the Whistler (D. Ross Lederman, 1948)
5. The Girl on the Bridge (Hugo Haas, 1951)
6. Mirage (Paul Williams, 1995)
7. Freeway (Matthew Bright, 1996)
8. Partners (Peter James Iengo, 2009)
9. Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller, 2019)
10. Second Chance (James Tinling, 1947)
11. Unmasked (George Blair, 1950)
12. One Girl's Confession (Hugo Haas, 1953)
13. Bait (Hugo Haas, 1954)
14. Ajeossi / The Man From Nowhere (Jeong-Beom Lee, 2010)
15. Hold Back Tomorrow (Hugo Haas, 1955)
16. Casbah (John Berry, 1948)
17. The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019) (cinema)

Somehow the opening shot - just a fairly simple long zoom down a hallway in a nursing home - seems pure Scorsese to me. A nice and appropriate opening for a film as much about old age and death and loneliness as anything else. I didn't know that much about this going into it - the positive aspect of not having any friends, and not reading much in the way of new writing about cinema - and I'm glad I didn't. I mean, I knew it was a gangster film, which had me worried as I haven't like he director's last couple of crime movies as much as most people, and maybe I'm just getting weary of modern-day films in this area. But I didn't know it was about Jimmy Hoffa, the recollections of a guy who claims to have killed him, and most importantly I didn't know how it ends, and the important - if very, very subtle role - lead gangster Robert De Niro's children (especially Anna Paquin, who has two lines in the film but whose character sums up much of what we need to know about this man's life and the lives of the powerful and amoral in general) have to play. De Niro is Frank Sheeran, an eventual union boss and confidant of Hoffa (Al Pacino) who becomes a mob hitman under the tutelage of Russell Bufalino (Joe Pesci), boss of a powerful NE Pennsylvania mafia family, and the film charts 20-30 years (dates are only occasionally shown - mostly as a humorous way to note the deaths of various minor characters, typically in hails of bullets) of his growing power and influence in the Teamsters, his friendship with Hoffa, and his apparent total lack of any kind of morality or ethics whatsoever. This isn't one of those mob movies where people talk about codes and honor - and if they ever do, they certainly never mean anything by it.

If I watch this again - when I watch this again - I will especially pay attention to the children's/young women's scenes, volumes being spoken in silence. As to the film as a whole - it's hugely entertaining, if such a thing can still be entertaining in this age, and no question this film is a pointed attack on a certain individual and his cronies sitting in Washington, as well as other things - and never felt it's length to me. The much discussed de-aging looks as good as anything like it has looked, but the actors, particularly De Niro, can't look young physically, and there are a few scenes where it's quite obvious that these guys aren't 35-40; this for me isn't a dealbreaker by any means or even a serious flaw. The main performances are all fine, though Bobby D isn't necessarily doing anything new - Pacino isn't either I suppose apart from his accent, but he just felt more alive to me. It's Pesci, playing the quiet low-key character for the first time I can remember, who impresses the most. I don't know if in the end this is a great film - my first thought is no - but it helped immeasurably talking to my friend Robert, who I hadn't seen in 9 years and met for lunch between this and the next film - I don't think he thinks it's great either, but his description of Paquin as the moral center of the film and his insistence that the last 10-15 minutes are the key to the whole material really put it in perspective for me. I suspect I will like this more on a second viewing though alas it seems unlikely that I'll get to have that experience in the cinema where it belongs. Fuck You Netflix.

18. Dolor y gloria / Pain and Glory (Pedro Almodóvar, 2019) (cinema)

Antonio Banderas is a film director who can't direct, can't write, can't do anything because of various severe health conditions afflicting him in his later years, and through memories of childhood and happier times, and run-ins with a couple of old collaborators and lovers, and lots of sweet sweet heroin, he becomes whole again. That's a severe simplification but if I told you that narratively this is very typical of the director, but with the added layer of age and autobiography, you would have all you need to know if you're thinking of seeing/not seeing it. As for me, someone who likes the director a lot but is rarely blown away by him, this strikes me as his best work since Habla con ella 17 years ago - and maybe his best film period, though I'd have to see it and some of the others again. Almodóvar just might be my favorite director whose work I've never re-watched, may remedy that this coming year and catch up to the ones I haven't seen. At any rate this is full of the usual luscious color, the frailty of memory and holding onto the past, and terrific acting. Banderas won the Cannes award but IMO it's Asier Etxeandia in the primary supporting role as an actor that Banderas hasn't seen in over 30 years who gives the best performance; Penélope Cruz is also as good as usual as the younger version of his mother in flashbacks. And I like how the "first desire" concept is used - as physical desire, as the desire for a career, as a drug. Another film that will bear more viewings; top 5 for the year so far easily.

19. Tear Gas Squad (Terry O. Morse, 1940)

TCM. Fun little exercise in genre mixing from an era when it was very common in the low-budget end of the spectrum. A nightclub singer falls for a girl who is part of a family of cops, and to impress her he decides to join the force, just like that! Meanwhile his brother has become a hero for foiling a holdup in the drugstore he works in, and opens his own store with reward money. Our hero does OK in police training but gets tangled up with another cop who likes the same girl - then something happens to his brother and he has to get revenge on the criminals, whether he's on duty or not. I could maybe make a slim case for this as noir - based on the first and last scenes really - but mostly it's a musical romantic comedy with crime as the backdrop. Dennis Morgan is pretty OK as he Irish tenor/cop and has a nice voice in the few songs; future noir stalwart John Payne is the rival cop and Superman (George Reeves) is the druggist brother, so a more solid cast than you usually find in these 55-minute quickies.

20. Pier 5, Havana (Edward L. Cahn, 1959)

Cahn has started to receive some attention the past few years, inevitable I suppose as it seems that every cheap American genre director of the classic era has gotten some interest now; I can't say that I'm on the Cahn bandwagon at all yet, he doesn't strike me as any better a craftsman than still-forgotten folks like Lew Landers. But looking back it seems that overall I've liked, or at least thought OK, the previous films I've seen, and I was fairly positive about his 1950 noir Destination Murder last year. This unfortunately is the weakest of the films I've seen so far - for Cahn and for this challenge. As you might guess it takes place in Havana, and it's an interesting story in that it deals semi-sympathetically with Castro - the "bad guys" turn out to be Batista loyalists trying to bring him back to power, and our hero Cameron Mitchell, with one of the worst haircuts in film history here, has to stop the plot and also find an old friend who may or may not be mixed up in this, all while romancing Allison Hayes, also mixed up in things. A promising plot of double crosses and political intrigue is unfortunately wiped out by the irredeemable cheapness - virtually every scene is in a near-featureless room somewhere, with only a couple of brief establishing shots taken from stock footage to give us the idea that it's not southern California we're seeing - mediocre to terrible acting, execrable fight sequences, and some of the dumbest plot holes or errors I've seen lately, e.g. the bad guys leaving a loaded gun next to the woman they're holding in another room. This felt much longer than it's 67 minutes.

21. Hidden Fear (André De Toth, 1957)

I've become a big De Toth fan in the last few years, especially for his westerns, and I finally saw a film earlier this year that I'd elevate to the pantheon, his WWII drama None Shall Escape, the first great film to deal with the horrors of the Holocaust in any specific way, done while the war was still going on. The director was one of the best of his era in shooting action scenes, and he had a way of making physical space feel more real and three-dimensional than most - even when shooting on sets he'd make those cheap back lots feel like real western towns with verticality and depth - particularly amazing when you consider that he had only one eye. Much like Brian Wilson, he compensated beautifully for this disability, but it isn't enough to serve him in this dreary and needlessly convoluted Danish co-production, in which John Payne, channeling Mitchum it seems to me, is an American cop in Copenhagen trying to free his sister from a murder charge and stumbling on a counterfeit ring. This suffers from very poor sound recording - it was shot on real locations mostly, even some of the interiors, and for whatever reason it's just not well recorded. Part of this is dubbing - some of the mostly Danish cast are clearly post-dubbed and the sound volume seems to vary enormously as there are other times when live sound from the locations is used; in any case this contributed to making things harder to follow, and it also doesn't help that all the main bad guys are 60ish men who look kind of similar. There is some of DeToth's characteristic quality use of space in the big mansion that's the main set in the last part of the film, and Payne isn't bad, but overall this is rather dull.

22. City of Industry (John Irvin, 1997)

Low-rent criminal Lee (Timothy Hutton) enlists his friend Jorge (Wade Dominguez) in a scheme he's cooked up to rob some Russian jewelers of millions; to do it they'll have Lee's older brother Roy (Harvey Keitel) and bleach-blonde hotheaded wheelman Skip (Stephen Dorff). Jorge's wife Rachel (Famke Janssen) isn't so hot on the idea but they'll be able to start a new life after it happens. Unfortunately, though the robbery goes without a hitch, it turns out that one of the cons isn't very happy to split his share four ways, and he tries to murder the others, getting two of them but missing the other, who gets away and spends the rest of the film trying to track down the traitor. It should be pretty obvious just from the credits list and the first few minutes of the film that
SpoilerShow
Keitel is the one who got away, and Dorff is the asshole who didn't want to share, but I'm spoilering it if you didn't want to know that
. This is reminiscent of John Boorman's Point Blank, with Lee Marvin as a criminal betrayed who spends most of the film stalking those who wronged him - and that was also set in and beautifully shot in L.A., though it didn't have quite as low-rent or grungy a feel to it. So this isn't unfamiliar stuff but it's made enjoyable by the cast, especially Keitel and Janssen, and Thomas Burstyn's evocative photography, though whether any of it is shot in the City of Industry itself, I don't know.

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » November 19th, 2019, 7:09 pm

34. Crawl (2019)
35. Child's Play ,(2019)

albajos

Post by albajos » November 19th, 2019, 7:33 pm

053. Limitless (2011) USA 25 603 checks 1377 favs 5.4% fav ratio
054. Norbit (2007) USA 3 798 checks 23 favs

022. Dora and the Lost City of Gold (2019) USA | Mexico | Australia 77 checks 7 favs 9,1% fav ratio

16 norwegian movies so far + 1 with norwegian (supporting) actors (Overboard) and +2 with norwegian plot (The Weight of Water, Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love)

!seen 54

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » November 19th, 2019, 8:36 pm

PUNQ wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 10:45 am

--- Love me some Tanahashi playing a fictional version of himself <3
You beat me to that first check. I downloaded this the other day to watch it, just haven't got around to it. I'm looking forward to it.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » November 19th, 2019, 9:44 pm

ryebass wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 1:56 pm
2. Death at a Funeral (2007) - 8.5/10
5. Carnage (2011) - 6.5/10
8. And Now for Something Completely Different (1971) - 7.5/10
9. Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) - 6.5/10
11. Omnibus: Dance of the Seven Veils (1970) - 2/10
So far, five of your viewings are on my "Favorite Unofficial Checks" list. :) And yeah, the de-synched sound in "Blank Generation" is maddening.

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » November 20th, 2019, 1:10 am

22. Making Mr. Right-1987: 4/10
SpoilerShow

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » November 20th, 2019, 3:43 am

5. Step Across the Border (Nicolas Humbert, Werner Penzel-1990) Switzerland, Germany 22 checks 4 favs (18.2%)
10. Meari to majo no hana {aka Mary and the Witch's Flower} (Hiromasa Yonebayashi, Giles New-2017) Japan 542 checks 19 favs
12. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (Mike Mitchell-2019) Denmark, Norway, Australia, USA 1,207 checks 37 favs
14. Waka okami wa shôgakusei! {aka Okko's Inn} (Kitaro Kosaka-2018) Japan 38 checks 1 favs
15. Another Day of Life (Damian Nenow, Raúl de la Fuente-2018) Poland, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Hungary, France 42 checks 5 favs (11.9%)
17. La jeune fille sans mains {aka The Girl Without Hands} (Sébastien Laudenbach-2016) France 85 checks 3 favs
22. La Casa Lobo {aka The Wolf House} (Joaquín Cociña, Cristóbal León-2018) Chile, Germany 183 checks 14 favs (17.9%)

25. Oceans (Jacques Perrin, Jacques Cluzaud-2009) France, Switzerland, Spain, USA, United Arab Emirates 665 checks 46 favs (6.9%)

Documentary of ocean life

Does it belong on a list? No. The footage is absolutely gorgeous, but the narration is terrible. The goal of nature documentaries should be to educate about their subject matter, even if just briefly. This documentary just has random stuff happening and random shots of animals doing random things. No explanation of how or why. Some of the time, they don't even bother to identify the animals on screen. BBC still reigns supreme in the nature documentary game. This is a pastry puff.

frbrown

Post by frbrown » November 20th, 2019, 6:30 am

66. Lady Beware (1987)
67. Borderline (1950)
68. Escape from Crime (1942)
69. For Them That Trespass (1949)

SpoilerShow
2. Daybreak (1948)
8. Heist (2001)
13. Iron Man (1951)
14. The Getaway (1994)
15. The Long Haul (1957)
16. Sealed Lips (1942)
18. Cry Wolf (1947)
21. I, Jane Doe (1948)
22. Kiss of Death (1995)
23. I, the Jury (1982)
25. Never Let Go (1960)
29. Lust for Gold (1949)
35. The Judge (1949)
37. Joe MacBeth (1955)
38. F.B.I. Girl (1951)
40. Cloudburst (1951)
41. Femme Fatale (1991)
43. The Last Page (1952)
46. Confession (1955)
47. Best Seller (1987)
48. Bad Influence (1990)
49. Narrow Margin (1990)
51. Man on Fire (2004)
52. Hell Bound (1957)
54. The Challenge (1960)
55. Hit List (1989)
61. Genuine Risk (1990)
65. The 3rd Voice (1960)
66. Lady Beware (1987)
67. Borderline (1950)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » November 20th, 2019, 9:48 am

18. Tesnota (2017) 7/10

Previously WatchedShow
1. Rabid (2019) 6/10
2. VFW (2019) 5/10
3. Porno (2019) 5/10
4. Bliss (2019) 6/10
5. Vivarium (2019) 7/10
6. Le daim (2019) 6/10
7. Two Heads Creek (2019) 5/10
8. Blood Vessel (2019) 5/10
9. Come to Daddy (2019) 5/10
10. Color Out of Space (2019) 6/10
11. Beast (2017) 5/10
12. Au poste! (2018) 6/10
13. Jiang hu er nü (2018) 6/10
14. Thunder Road (2018) 6/10
15. Rafiki 5/10
16. Madeline's Madeline (2018) 5/10
17. La enfermedad del domingo (2018) 8/10
18. Tesnota (2017) 7/10
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » November 20th, 2019, 3:25 pm

SpoilerShow
19. Seth Meyers: Lobby Baby 2019, in 0 top lists 9/10
21. Christmas in the Wild 2019 — a.k.a. Holiday In The Wild, in 0 top lists 6/10
24. Je ne suis pas un homme facile 2018 — a.k.a. I Am Not an Easy Man, in 0 top lists
30. Her Smell 2018, in 0 top lists [Rewatch, third viewing (first viewing 11/18, second viewing 8/19)]
45. Allegiant 2016, in 0 top lists 4/10
46. Bacurau 2019, in 0 top lists 6/10

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » November 20th, 2019, 5:39 pm

23. 47 Meters Down: Uncaged-2019: 8/10
SpoilerShow

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » November 20th, 2019, 8:49 pm

1. Angel Has Fallen (2019)

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » November 20th, 2019, 9:28 pm

5. Something Crashed in the Woods (Jeff Profitt, 2019) - 2/10

A guy investigates his property, that he just bought after seeing strange markings on trees and hearing odd noises.
It's basically just a guy running around with his camera for seventy minutes STRAIGHT. Nothing happens until the last ten minutes. It's just the cameraman running around the woods and filming some destroyed trees. He repeats the same pieces of dialogue over and over again, there's nothing redeemable about this low budget-flick. I honestly don't know, why I even give two points. I guess the lone actor isn't as bad as usual for a found footage movie.
6. Murder in the Heartland: The Search for Video X (James D. Mortellaro, 2003) - 6.5/10
A mockumentary investigating the crime spree of young couple Dwayne Foote and Darla-Jean Stanton through interviews with family and friends of the murderous youngsters, surviving victims and law enforcement officers. But soon, the documentary crew finds the rabbit hole to be deeper than initially thought.
Before found footage was a popular subgenre, "Murder in the Heartland" fooled many people in believing this to be a real documentary. The straightforward documentary style is only abandoned in the last fifteen minutes. The actors are playing their roles convincingly, even though almost none are named in the credits. At times, I forgot I was watching a fictitious piece of work. The plot reminds a bit of Natural Born Killers with both featuring a homicidal couple running from the law. Another huge plot element is the question, who the leading criminal force of the pair is and if Video X, whatever it actually shows, answers this question.
SpoilerShow
1. Population Zero (Julian T. Pinder, 2016) - 7/10
2. Somers Town (Shane Meadows, 2008) - 7/10
3. La Rage Du Démon (Fabien Dulage, 2016) - 6.5/10
4. Wrinkles the Clown (Michael Beach Nichols, 2019) - 6/10
5. Something Crashed in the Woods (Jeff Profitt, 2019) - 2/10
6. Murder in the Heartland: The Search for Video X (James D. Mortellaro, 2003) - 6.5/10

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » November 20th, 2019, 9:36 pm

13. Broken City (2013)
14. Der Fan (1982)
15. Nightblade (2016)
16. Under the Silver Lake (2018)
17. Young and Innocent (1937)
SpoilerShow
1. The Place Beyond the Pines (2012)
2. Heukryong wanggwa biho dongja (1982)
3. Smoking Tar (2017)
4. Sex Wish (1976)
5. Double Cross (1941)
6. Maniac (1963)
7. San Quentin (1937)
8. Johnny Gunman (1957)
9. Handsome: A Netflix Mystery Movie (2017)
10. Cast a Deadly Spell (1991)
11. One Girl's Confession (1953)
12. Cover Girl Killer! (1959)
13. Broken City (2013)
14. Der Fan (1982)
15. Nightblade (2016)
16. Under the Silver Lake (2018)
17. Young and Innocent (1937)

albajos

Post by albajos » November 20th, 2019, 9:36 pm

055. Year One (2009) USA 6 214 checks 51 favs
056. Absolutely Anything (2015) UK 856 checks 30 favs

!seen 56

AB537

Post by AB537 » November 20th, 2019, 10:15 pm

13. Sword of Sherwood Forest (Terence Fisher, 1960) 6/10 ... This was disappointing, essentially a spinoff of the 1955-1959 BBC series The Adventures of Robin Hood but retaining only Richard Greene from the show's cast ... and is nowhere near as much fun.

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » November 20th, 2019, 10:46 pm

24. Sword of Sherwood Forest-1960: 6/10
SpoilerShow
23. 47 Meters Down: Uncaged-2019: 8/10

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » November 21st, 2019, 3:49 am

25. Oceans (Jacques Perrin, Jacques Cluzaud-2009) France, Switzerland, Spain, USA, United Arab Emirates 665 checks 46 favs (6.9%)

26. Good Burger (Brian Robbins-1997) USA 3,436 checks 104 favs (6.9%)

Two fast food employees defeat the big corporate outside chain

Does it belong on a list? Eh. I know this isn't great cinema, but finding a movie that it perfect for early teens is pretty darn hard. This surprisingly holds up really well for a 20 year old movie. Kenan and Kel are a solid comedic duo.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » November 21st, 2019, 9:00 am

SpoilerShow
45. Allegiant 2016, in 0 top lists 4/10
46. Bacurau 2019, in 0 top lists 6/10
47. The Kingmaker 2019, in 0 top lists 6.5/10
48. Proxima 2019, in 0 top lists 6/10
49. Babyteeth 2019, in 0 top lists Great performance by Eliza Scanlen 7/10

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 21st, 2019, 11:05 am

The UnOfficial StoryShow
1. Ta-weo / The Tower (2012)
2. Vivarium (2019)
3. Deerskin (2019)
4. The Sacrament (2013)
5. The Commuter (2018)
6. American Ultra (2015)
7. The Terror, Live (2013)
8. Eight Legged Freaks (2002)
9. I Spit on Your Grave (2010)
10. Ten Zan: Ultimate Mission (1988)
11. The Girl with All the Gifts (2016)
12. Doctor Sleep (2019)
13. The Red Shoes (2005)
14. Psychokinesis. (2018)
15. Saturday Night (1922)
16. The Villainess (2017)

17. Booksmart (2019)

Featuring the exploits of horny girls rather than boys, including a lesbian, this comedy opened to positive reviews as something supposedly unique in the subgenre, but the differences are only surface deep. Both protagonists predictably discover that happiness is not where they thought and the mischief they get up to is lame and seldom funny (hijacking a delivery car?). The girls imagining themselves as asexual dolls when high is pretty decent though.

And to make life easier for albajos: ABCDEGIPRSTV
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 21st, 2019, 1:57 pm

The UnOfficial StoryShow
1. Ta-weo / The Tower (2012)
2. Vivarium (2019)
3. Deerskin (2019)
4. The Sacrament (2013)
5. The Commuter (2018)
6. American Ultra (2015)
7. The Terror, Live (2013)
8. Eight Legged Freaks (2002)
9. I Spit on Your Grave (2010)
10. Ten Zan: Ultimate Mission (1988)
11. The Girl with All the Gifts (2016)
12. Doctor Sleep (2019)
13. The Red Shoes (2005)
14. Psychokinesis. (2018)
15. Saturday Night (1922)
16. The Villainess (2017)
17. Booksmart (2019)

18. Bedevilled (2010)

This thriller gets off to an awkward start, opening with a rape that the protagonist witnesses, only to shift tones as she gets stressed out at work and then shift tones again as she arrives at a secluded island, but several of the island scenes are well done with uncertainty and ambiguity regarding possible statutory rape and heartfelt cathartic violence. The film does not have anywhere to go after this though and ultimately feels a little messy.

And to make life easier for albajos: ABCDEGIPRSTV
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

frbrown

Post by frbrown » November 21st, 2019, 2:07 pm

70. Riding Bean (1989)
71. Forbidden (1953)

SpoilerShow
2. Daybreak (1948)
8. Heist (2001)
13. Iron Man (1951)
14. The Getaway (1994)
15. The Long Haul (1957)
16. Sealed Lips (1942)
18. Cry Wolf (1947)
21. I, Jane Doe (1948)
22. Kiss of Death (1995)
23. I, the Jury (1982)
25. Never Let Go (1960)
29. Lust for Gold (1949)
35. The Judge (1949)
37. Joe MacBeth (1955)
38. F.B.I. Girl (1951)
40. Cloudburst (1951)
41. Femme Fatale (1991)
43. The Last Page (1952)
46. Confession (1955)
47. Best Seller (1987)
48. Bad Influence (1990)
49. Narrow Margin (1990)
51. Man on Fire (2004)
52. Hell Bound (1957)
54. The Challenge (1960)
55. Hit List (1989)
61. Genuine Risk (1990)
65. The 3rd Voice (1960)
66. Lady Beware (1987)
67. Borderline (1950)
70. Riding Bean (1989)
71. Forbidden (1953)

AB537

Post by AB537 » November 21st, 2019, 8:31 pm

14. Robin Hood (Otto Bathurst, 2018) 5.5/10 ... Continues the trend of taking a mediocre medieval ish action movie and giving the core characters names from popular but effectively unrelated folk tales in a mostly failed attempt to increase its appeal ... see also Ridley Scott's Robin Hood and Guy Ritchie's King Arthur, although this is closer to steampunk/graphic novel Robin Hood than the Michael Curtiz/Errol Flynn/Olivia de Havilland version, which I still think is the only good movie version

albajos

Post by albajos » November 21st, 2019, 10:47 pm

057. The Illusionist (2006) USA | Czech Republic 25 288 checks 1321 favs 5.2% fav ratio
058. Jennifer's Body (2009) USA 8 173 checks 164 favs
059. The Snowman (2017) UK | USA | China | Sweden | Japan 974 checks 5 favs [rewatch] [double]
060. Cop Out (2010) USA 4 288 checks 55 favs

057. The Illusionist (2006) USA | Czech Republic 25 288 checks 1321 favs 5.2% fav ratio
058. Jennifer's Body (2009) USA 8 173 checks 164 favs
059. The Snowman (2017) UK | USA | China | Sweden | Japan 974 checks 5 favs [rewatch] [double]
060. Cop Out (2010) USA 4 288 checks 55 favs

!seen 60

vortexsurfer

Post by vortexsurfer » November 22nd, 2019, 12:49 am

16. A Goofy Movie (Kevin Lima, 1995)
17. An Extremely Goofy Movie (Douglas McCarthy, 2000)
18. Smart House (LeVar Burton, 1999)
19. Girl Vs. Monster (Stuart Gillard, 2012)

SpoilerShow
1. The Laundromat (Steven Soderbergh, 2019)
2. Chalet Girl (Phil Traill, 2011)
3. Anote's Ark (Matthieu Rytz, 2018)
4. Southwest of Salem: The Story of the San Antonio Four (Deborah S. Esquenazi, 2016)
5. After the Last River (Victoria Lean, 2015)
6. Through a Lens Darkly: Black Photographers and the Emergence of a People (Thomas Allen Harris, 2014)
7. David Cross: Oh Come On (Lance Bangs, 2019)
8. Incident at Loch Ness (Zak Penn, 2004)
9. Dishonored Lady (Robert Stevenson, 1947)
10. Bi-mong/Dream (Ki-duk Kim, 2008)
11. Miss Tibet: Beauty in Exile (Norah Shapiro, 2014)
12. Liliom (Frank Borzage, 1930)
13. The Ghost Ship (Mark Robson, 1943)
14. Shadows in the Dark: The Val Lewton Legacy (Constantine Nasr, 2005)
15. Cho-neung-ryeok-ja/Haunters (Min-suk Kim, 2010)
16. A Goofy Movie (Kevin Lima, 1995)
17. An Extremely Goofy Movie (Douglas McCarthy, 2000)
18. Smart House (LeVar Burton, 1999)
19. Girl Vs. Monster (Stuart Gillard, 2012)

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » November 22nd, 2019, 2:35 am

26. Good Burger (Brian Robbins-1997) USA 3,436 checks 104 favs (6.9%)

27. Earth: Making of a Planet (Yavar Abbas-2011) UK 15 checks 2 favs (13.3%)

Speed-run documentary showing highlights of how the Earth cames to be from molten globe to current day.

Does it belong on a list? Naw. It's cool to have CG graphics showing all the events of Earth's history, but most of it is starting to show it's age. Plus it's just too large of a scope for such a short run-time. Too much stuff gets glossed over and I end up craving something more comprehensive. Good for middle school/high school level review, I guess.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 22nd, 2019, 4:33 am

What happens when an NFL ref gets fired?Show
1. Sneakers (1992)
2. Don't Think Twice (2016)
3. Jimmy Carr: The Best of Ultimate Gold Greatest Hits (2019)
4. The Hungover Games (2014)
5. David Cross: Oh Come On (2019)
6. Bunny Yeager's Nude Las Vegas (1964)
7. Abacus: Small Enough to Jail (2016)
8. Thunder Road (2018)
9. Seth Meyers: Lobby Baby (2019)
10. Movie 43 (2013)
11. Diamantino (2018)
12. Lovesong (2016)
13. Bridget Christie: Stand Up for Her (2016)
14. Escape from Crime (1942)
15. Cuba and the Cameraman (2017)
16. Shirkers (2018)
17. The Parent Trap (1961)
18. The Chumscrubber (2005)
19. Kathleen Madigan: Madigan Again (2013)
20. John Crist: I Got Questions (2015) 7/10
21. Sarah Colonna: I can't Feel My Legs (2015) 7/10
22. Liz Stewart: I'm Crowning (2018) 8/10
23: Shawn Pelofsky: Stretch it Out (2018) 6/10
I got on a bit of a stand-up kick, as I was watching on a computer and could do a deeper dive into Amazon Prime's selection of stand-up. I also wanted to try and focus on female comics, as I'm not as well-versed there. And I have to say it was pretty rewarding - Liz Stewart was the stand-out from this lot, good enough that I made my wife watch her with me. She's HILARIOUS and worth checking out. From there, it goes Sarah Colonna, John Crist, and Shawn Pelofsky. Sarah and John were both funny and enjoyable, but nothing particularly noteworthy. Shawn was a little underwhelming, as she was more gimmicky than funny. But all in all a pretty rewarding dive into stand-up.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » November 22nd, 2019, 7:06 am

SpoilerShow