Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Criterion + MoC Bonus Features Challenge (Unofficial; November 2018)

sol
Donator

Criterion + MoC Bonus Features Challenge (Unofficial; November 2018)

Post by sol » October 30th, 2018, 10:52 am

:ICM:

Criterion + Masters of Cinema Bonus Features Challenge

Goal
Watch as many Criterion and Masters of Cinema bonus features as you can from November 1, 2018 to November 30, 2018.

Rules
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of short films counts as one entry.
- 120 minutes of TV episodes counts as one entry.
- The usual miniseries rule applies (ask if unsure).
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.

I reserve the right to exclude participants who intentionally number their viewings incorrectly. If you play the game, you're expected to play properly.

Unofficial Lists
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/crit ... van+dutch/

I have it on good authority that this list is up-to-date. :D

This is the Official Criterion/MoC Challenge thread if you're watching anything this month that is not a bonus feature.

DEADLINE
Final results will be posted between 12:00pm and 12:30pm GMT on December 2 - at which point it will have been December everywhere in the world for a whole day. While you are welcome to post updates beyond this point, any such updates will not be included in the final results. Your choice whether you miss the deadline or not; besides, if it's December on your side of the world, shouldn't you be starting on one of next month's challenges, mm?

This thread will be updated at least twice a day (more often if I am around and feel like it). Since I am updating manually, I would appreciate it if you list new films seen in a new post. If you would prefer just to endlessly edit your original post, please let me know so that I remember to check your post.

Participants
RankiCMer# of Watches
1 funkybusiness 2
2 Knaldskalle 1
Last edited by sol on December 2nd, 2018, 2:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » October 30th, 2018, 12:53 pm

edit: whoops

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 31st, 2018, 4:12 pm

Okay, I'll add to the OP, but it appears that jvd's list has not been updated in more than half a decade.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 31st, 2018, 4:14 pm

sol wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 4:12 pm
Okay, I'll add to the OP, but it appears that jvd's list has not been updated in more than half a decade.
It has. He only does "minor updates" which doesn't update that date at the bottom.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 31st, 2018, 4:20 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 4:14 pm
sol wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 4:12 pm
It has. He only does "minor updates" which doesn't update that date at the bottom.
Cool. OP amended.
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » November 18th, 2018, 10:08 pm

The Criterion release of Brazil have 3 different versions of the film. Would the two other versions go into this challenge, or can I post both in the official one?

142 minutes European release (Director's Cut)
132 minutes US release
Love Conquers All - Sid Sheinberg's Edit

The 142m. version isn't simply an 10 minute extension on the 132m. version as there are also scenes in the US version that aren't in the European one.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » November 18th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Well, you can only include the film once in the Official Challenge, so yeah, by all means include the other two versions here if you have the stamina to watch all three versions this month. :thumbsup:
Image Image Image

albajos

Post by albajos » November 18th, 2018, 11:15 pm

I've seen it once in cinema, so I'll probably just go with the Love Conquers All version as it is the one that differs the most. But it's still 12 days left, so anything can happen

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » November 27th, 2018, 8:33 pm

1. The Front Page (Milestone, 1932). This is an extra on the Criterion release of His GIrl Friday. Newly restored, I finally managed to get around to seeing this. I've come across other public domain copies, but they all had terrible audio, so I never saw it until now. Not as good as His Girl Friday, it's nevertheless quite enjoyable.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 1st, 2018, 9:47 am

01. Crook's Tour (1941)
The Lady Vanishes bonus feature featuring Charters and Caldicott! Not anywhere near Hitchcock's level, most of it's pretty stale, no joke anywhere near the confused chamber pot incident in TLV but there is a pretty cool bit during one of the vinyl record scenes.
02. Fantastic Mr Dahl (2005)
Documentary of Dahl's life, family and home on the Fantastic Mr. Fox set. icm says it's 18min but that is incorrect, it's 61min. I had no idea he was married to Patricia Neal, and for so long! Like 30 something years! I didn't realize she married Newman later in life, I thought they were together during their big hollywood days in the 60s and on. Also, Dahl made up everything, it's hilarious how much of a prankster the dude was. His entire career started because he wrote the real-life true story of how his plane was shot down in Northern Africa during The War. The story was sensational and everybody loved it and thought he was a natural storyteller and that he should write professionally. Except he made it all up. He ran out of gas just going out for a test run and had to do a controlled crash which invalided him out of the military. Also, he wrote exclusively, for a good long while, short stories for adults and it wasn't until almost 15 years in that he started writing down the spontaneous fictions he would tell his children as bedtime stories. and the rest is...ya know.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » December 1st, 2018, 9:48 am

also, this thread was hoppin', wasn't it.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 1st, 2018, 6:23 pm

funkybusiness wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 9:48 am
also, this thread was hoppin', wasn't it.
Heh. With one or two exceptions, I streamed everything I watched for this challeng. :shrug: