Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
4th ICM Film Festival Jury Recruiting (Fest is Nov16-Dec14)

Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: La religieuse, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st), Match QFD: Estonia vs Russia (Oct 11th)

2019 Challenges: A proposal/idea

sol
Donator

2019 Challenges: A proposal/idea

Post by sol » October 5th, 2018, 6:57 am

EDIT: OK, let's not do this.

Hi, everyone. First off, sorry for starting a new thread for this topic, but with the discussion thread being quite old, I'm not sure how many people would read my idea if I posted there.

So, I have been thinking about something for the past few weeks, triggered by some of the conversations on the discussion thread -- and some of the complaining and moaning on the current voting threads has made me think that maybe this idea is doable:

What if we had a 4th Official Challenge each month with a guest host who was able to choose their own topic? The topics could even be a surprise, not revealed until the start of the month.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments? There wouldn't be any problems about getting hosts since someone like jvv would really wants a Degrees of a Separation challenge would host it.

Or should I just tell everyone who keeps going on about their Challenge Ideas doing poorly to start their own Unofficial Challenge?
:shrug:
Last edited by sol on October 5th, 2018, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 5th, 2018, 7:29 am

The other option to quell all the complaining and moaning would be to have two Theme Challenges every month... but without specifically assigned hosts, there might be trouble getting four hosts every month. I'm still up for hosting one Challenge every single month, but not two - there's a lot of work in that.

Also, I don't know how much extra work it would be for maxwell and his Challenge Olympics if we added another 12 Challenges to the mix.

On a separate note, I find it curious how concerned some folks are about the results so far when the six polls have been live for less than 72 hours and each still have four weeks left to go.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Daviddoes

Post by Daviddoes » October 5th, 2018, 8:32 am

IMO unofficial challenges are the way to go. I was already thinking of running Cult/Grindhouse/Drive-In as unofficial if it doesn't make the cut.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » October 5th, 2018, 9:04 am

In my view three official challenges is already pushing it in terms of what is feasible viewing-wise in one month. If someone really wishes for a challenge or challenges that didn't quite garner enough votes there's the option of starting up unofficial challenges as and when they wish.
That's all, folks!

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » October 5th, 2018, 9:23 am

I agree, three official challenges is plenty.

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » October 5th, 2018, 10:51 am

Woot. Three is enough mate. I rather have two to be honest.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 5th, 2018, 12:17 pm

yes, three is enough. Unofficial challenges can fill voids.

I'm glad that the 3-challenge experiment is working out so well. Max's Olympics do ratchet things up a bit, and the side challenges likewise, but one can always choose not to knock oneself out to get all those awards.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 5th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :)

As this stage, having an extra Challenge each month does not seem like the right way to solve the problem. As suggested, I will just use the "well, start an Unofficial Challenge then" response next time somebody else complains.

I just really wish that everyone was not using the vote threads to moan about which options are doing well and which options aren't when there is still FOUR WEEKS left before the polls close. I know that I am hosting the polls, but the vast majority of suggestions were not mine, I have no control over how others vote, and I don't really like having to constantly defend what is basically a democratic process in place.
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 5th, 2018, 12:36 pm

sol wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 12:18 pm
I just really wish that everyone was not using the vote threads to moan about which options are doing well and which options aren't when there is still FOUR WEEKS left before the polls close. I know that I am hosting the polls, but the vast majority of suggestions were not mine, I have no control over how others vote, and I don't really like having to constantly defend what is basically a democratic process in place.
Sol, I'm feeling much better about the process than I did the past couple of years. Thanks.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm

I don't think you should consider it moaning and certainly don't take it personally and feel you should come up with solutions. To me it just seems like inevitable commentary since this is a message board. Also not weird for people to be commenting already since realistically, most of the users who care will already have voted. But yeah, everyone knows it is a democratic process so I doubt anyone is genuinely upset.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 5th, 2018, 2:30 pm

3eyes wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 12:36 pm
sol wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 12:18 pm
Sol, I'm feeling much better about the process than I did the past couple of years. Thanks.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :) I have been trying to keep the process as open and transparent as possible. I guess you just can't please everyone all of the time.
flaiky wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm
I don't think you should consider it moaning and certainly don't take it personally and feel you should come up with solutions. To me it just seems like inevitable commentary since this is a message board. Also not weird for people to be commenting already since realistically, most of the users who care will already have voted. But yeah, everyone knows it is a democratic process so I doubt anyone is genuinely upset.
Some good points there, and just to be clear, my comment wasn't aimed at you (or anyone) specifically. It is a general observation since it has just seemed like for past 2.5 days that whenever I have clicked on one of the voting threads, there is someone complaining about one thing or another. I suppose commentary is to be expected, but some of the comments have made me shake my head and think twice about how to respond before replying.
Image Image Image

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » October 5th, 2018, 4:12 pm

3 official challenges per month are enough and yeah you do great with the voting process, no complain from me !
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage