Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: La religieuse, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st), Match QFD: Estonia vs Russia (Oct 11th)

Which non-2018 Theme Challenges would you like to see run in 2019?

Poll ended at November 3rd, 2018, 3:01 am

Academy Award nominees
8%
Award Lists (other than Oscars)
3%
Banned Films/Video Nasty
6%
Birth Year
5%
Book Adaptations
3%
Coming of Age
5%
Conquering the World
7%
Degrees of Separation
4%
Doubling the Canon nominees
6%
In Competition at Cannes
5%
Jonathan Rosenbaum Essentials
7%
One film from each iCM list
4%
One film from each year
5%
Political
4%
Religious
3%
Re-watch
3%
Samurai
4%
They Shoot Pictures 21st Century
9%
UNESCO's Memory of the World
5%
Winter Movies
3%

Total votes: 352

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 3rd, 2018, 3:01 am

As part of setting up the Challenge Schedule for 2019, we are releasing six polls where you can vote for options for 2019.

For the polls that ask which 2018 Challenges you would like see repeated next year, you will be able to vote for 6 options.

For the polls that ask which Challenges you would like to see in 2019 that were not run this year, you will be able to vote for 8 options. This number is higher than for the "repeated" polls since there are more options to choose between when it comes to deciding new Challenges.

Each of these polls will run for 31 days, finishing on the first Saturday in November (AU time).

N.B.: All preliminary challenge options that received at least 10 votes this year (and received at least 15 votes last year) have been carried into this final round of voting
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » October 3rd, 2018, 4:08 pm

Banned/Video Nasty
Birth year
Coming of Age
One from each year
Winter

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » October 5th, 2018, 6:35 am

A bit disappointed coming-of-age wasn't selected in that other category (that's a much less harder to qualify in). Coming-of-age seems like a genre, and the genres/decades choices are much less competitive than this here. I would suggest if coming-of-age has more votes here than the number 6 in that other poll, it should qualify or at least have a run-off against that number 6, because it seems a bit unfair for coming-of-age to be treated as a theme/list rather than a genre/decades. I mean: what's the difference between a prison movie and a coming-of-age movie?

Also... it seems like coming-of-age will get short of 1-2-3 votes every year because 1) there is lot of competition and 2) a different list that is slightly more popular will get selected more than twice in a timespan of like five years that would get every year a few more votes than coming-of-age because you have a solid user-base, but what i would propose is that if coming-of-age makes it, we should have a forum list dedicated on it people can vote for shortly after it (it should be connected with a list), because it would be probably be done once in ten years, and it might be unfortunate to miss that oppurtunity, and it would probably also rise "participation" for such a challenge, i believe.

Voted:
coming-of-age
Academy
TSP 21st century

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 5th, 2018, 6:41 am

Lakigigar wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 6:35 am
A bit disappointed coming-of-age was selected in that other category (that's a much harder to qualify in). Coming-of-age seems like a genre, and the genres/decades choices are much less competitive than this here. I would suggest if coming-of-age has more votes here than the number 6 in that other poll, it should qualify or at least have a run-off against that number 6, because it seems a bit unfair for coming-of-age to be treated as a theme/list rather than a genre/decades. I mean: what's the difference between a prison movie and a coming-of-age movie?
I'm sorry that your option is not doing as well as you might have hoped, but you had plenty of time to lobby me to change it out of the Theme section and add it to the Genre section before the polls were opened up. It's a consideration to move it into the Genre category for voting next year, though I would have always considered it a theme myself.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » October 5th, 2018, 6:43 am

sol wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 6:41 am
Lakigigar wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 6:35 am
A bit disappointed coming-of-age was selected in that other category (that's a much harder to qualify in). Coming-of-age seems like a genre, and the genres/decades choices are much less competitive than this here. I would suggest if coming-of-age has more votes here than the number 6 in that other poll, it should qualify or at least have a run-off against that number 6, because it seems a bit unfair for coming-of-age to be treated as a theme/list rather than a genre/decades. I mean: what's the difference between a prison movie and a coming-of-age movie?
I'm sorry that your option is not doing as well as you might have hoped, but you had plenty of time to lobby me to change it out of the Theme section and add it to the Genre section before the polls were opened up. It's a consideration to move it into the Genre category for voting next year, though I would have always considered it a theme myself.
I probably didn't notice it in time. But okay, than i'll have to lobby for it in 2020 (i doubt it will have enough votes this time).

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » October 5th, 2018, 6:52 am

I'm rather disappointed that Degrees of Separation is getting so few votes, since it's my absolute favorite challenge.

Looking at the results so far it seems that challenges that are linked to an official list are dominating this poll.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » October 5th, 2018, 7:19 am

Amazing options to pick from here! I had to drop Political and Cannes because I'd exceeded the limit.

My votes went to:

Book Adaptations
Coming of Age
Conquering the World (l)
Doubling the Canon Nominees (l)
Rosenbaum Essentials
One film from each year (l)
Religious (l) (surprised this option isn't performing better; presents incredible possibilities)
UNESCO's Memory of the World
That's all, folks!

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » October 5th, 2018, 11:35 am

jvv wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 6:52 am
I'm rather disappointed that Degrees of Separation is getting so few votes, since it's my absolute favorite challenge.

Looking at the results so far it seems that challenges that are linked to an official list are dominating this poll.
It's sad that challenges always have to be linked to official films. Like unofficial films can't be good?

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » October 5th, 2018, 11:48 am

Lakigigar wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 11:35 am
jvv wrote:

It's sad that challenges always have to be linked to official films. Like unofficial films can't be good?
Well, it's not always the case. There even is an unofficial check challenge. :D

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » October 5th, 2018, 11:52 am

Surprised how Academy nominees is getting so much support given the way people talk about it around these parts. :rolleyes:

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » October 5th, 2018, 4:14 pm

jvv wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 11:48 am
Lakigigar wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 11:35 am
jvv wrote:

Well, it's not always the case. There even is an unofficial check challenge. :D
Not sure all potential voters know what this challenge is about...
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage