Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

Which non-2018 Country/Region Challenges would you like to see run in 2019?

Poll ended at November 3rd, 2018, 2:49 am

Argentina
2%
Benelux
6%
Brazil
1%
Caribbean
2%
Central Asia
2%
Czech / Slovak
6%
East Europe
8%
Egypt
1%
Gran Colombia
No votes
Greece
2%
Hungary
2%
India
5%
Iran
5%
Ireland
5%
Israel
2%
Japan
10%
Mexico
5%
Peru
0%
Philippines
2%
Poland
5%
Romania
2%
South Korea
7%
Southeast Asia
4%
Thailand
1%
Turkey
2%
United Kingdom
10%
Vietnam
2%

Total votes: 336

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 3rd, 2018, 2:49 am

As part of setting up the Challenge Schedule for 2019, we are releasing six polls where you can vote for options for 2019.

For the polls that ask which 2018 Challenges you would like see repeated next year, you will be able to vote for 6 options.

For the polls that ask which Challenges you would like to see in 2019 that were not run this year, you will be able to vote for 8 options. This number is higher than for the "repeated" polls since there are more options to choose between when it comes to deciding new Challenges.

Each of these polls will run for 31 days, finishing on the first Saturday in November (AU time).
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » October 3rd, 2018, 12:36 pm

I voted for UK, but I'd probably prefer if it was UK & Ireland.

I didn't vote for them individually, but I would have voted for a "Central Europe" grouping of POL-CZE-SVK-HUN (mind you, they're also covered in Eastern Europe, which I did vote for).

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 3rd, 2018, 12:45 pm

We can certainly consider combing the UK and Ireland if one of them makes the cut and the other comes to close to making the cut but falls a little short.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » October 3rd, 2018, 1:04 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 12:36 pm

I didn't vote for them individually, but I would have voted for a "Central Europe" grouping of POL-CZE-SVK-HUN (mind you, they're also covered in Eastern Europe, which I did vote for).
I'm having problems with this too. Don't know what to do when choices are too narrow.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 3rd, 2018, 1:51 pm

Southeast Asia WAS run this year actually.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 3rd, 2018, 1:53 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 1:51 pm
Southeast Asia WAS run this year actually.
Not as an Official Challenge at least. It was run last year (2017) though.
Image Image Image

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » October 3rd, 2018, 1:57 pm

I managed to vote for Israel instead of Iran :facepalm:

My bad I guess, but have that in mind if there’s a tie or whatever.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » October 3rd, 2018, 3:04 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 12:36 pm
I voted for both but I kind of agree with this. Given that Australia, N.Z. and Oceania were grouped together in January, it might be apt to reach for a similar pairing if both the UK and Ireland prove relatively popular in voting this time around.
That's all, folks!

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 3rd, 2018, 3:11 pm

Are there really an enormous number of Irish films - as opposed to films that got some Irish funding, I'm talking about films made in Ireland with Irish filmmakers and mostly Irish casts - such that a poll for the country alone would attract that many users? I mean, it's like Switzerland in that the vast majority of films with the country listed on IMDb aren't really mostly productions from that country. At least that's my impression, looking at all of the films I have seen that IMDb lists only about a third strike me as actually "Irish".

And obviously Roger and anybody else from Ireland, and most from the UK would have more ready access to and knowledge of this stuff so it might be an easy challenge for them to choose between hundreds of choices, but it sure seems like slim pickings to me.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 3rd, 2018, 3:18 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 3:11 pm
Are there really an enormous number of Irish films - as opposed to films that got some Irish funding, I'm talking about films made in Ireland with Irish filmmakers and mostly Irish casts...
This isn't really an issue. If you don't want an Irish Challenge to go ahead, then please vote for something else. It's not as if Ireland is actually going to be one of the most popular picks at this stage (Adult/Erotica is another issue!) but I do suggest that you bring up the merging countries issues on the discussion thread for the 2020 challenges. It's a bit late to have an argument about this now.
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » October 3rd, 2018, 4:15 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 3:11 pm
Are there really an enormous number of Irish films - as opposed to films that got some Irish funding, I'm talking about films made in Ireland with Irish filmmakers and mostly Irish casts - such that a poll for the country alone would attract that many users? I mean, it's like Switzerland in that the vast majority of films with the country listed on IMDb aren't really mostly productions from that country. At least that's my impression, looking at all of the films I have seen that IMDb lists only about a third strike me as actually "Irish".

And obviously Roger and anybody else from Ireland, and most from the UK would have more ready access to and knowledge of this stuff so it might be an easy challenge for them to choose between hundreds of choices, but it sure seems like slim pickings to me.
It is a small market and one thing that has fuelled the rise in co-productions is the favourable tax break system over recent decades from successive Irish governments. For example, taking 2017, one sees films from Lanthimos, Lelio, Schlöndorff and others that have some Irish input and involvement.

There are of course some international successes every year and smaller-scale offerings that won't travel and often struggle to find any sort of audience here at home due to the near monopoly on large-scale multiplexes.

It'll be interesting to see how the voting goes and what people make of things.
That's all, folks!

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » October 5th, 2018, 6:30 am

Voted:
Japan
India
Benelux
Eastern Europe
UK
South Korea

Mexico would be fine too, but we should have either Mexico or Latin America.

jeroeno

Post by jeroeno » October 5th, 2018, 6:41 am

Voted for

1. Japan
2. Poland
3. Czech/Slovak
4. Iran
5. India
6. Greece

I didn't vote for Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Peru or Gran Colombia because I feel the Latin America challenge covers all of that. I did vote for Poland and Czech/Slovak but if we decide on Eastern Europe and include those countries, that's fine too.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » October 5th, 2018, 7:07 am

My votes went to:

Argentina
Eastern Europe
India
Ireland
Japan
Mexico
South-East Asia
United Kingdom

Think Argentina is rich enough on its own for a challenge. Would like to take part in an Indian challenge as eye issues curtailed my participation last time around. And, yeah, as I've alluded to, I wouldn't mind seeing a UK and Ireland challenge.

Great options!
That's all, folks!

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » October 5th, 2018, 7:17 am

Eastern Europe and Latin America both have the dilemma of: do you organize them every year, or do you split their countries up and rotate them. Maybe we need a Eastern Europe or a Latin American "slot", to have a bit more diversity and challenge in a challenge, as they might be relatively broad. (of course UK challenge and so on are actually broader than those).

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 28th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Back at SCFZ we have split The World in 23 different zones; maybe you could choose this divide instead of this one here.

Africa, Balkan, Benelux, Canada, Central America/Caribbean, China/HK/Taiwan, Eastern Europe, France, Germany/Austria/Switzerland, India, Iran, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Middle East, Nordic countries, Oceania, Russia/USSR, South America, Southeast Asia, Spain/Portugal, UK/Ireland and USA.