[Pictured: Abbas Kiarostami's masterpiece, The Wind Will Carry Us]
Middle East Challenge
Watch as many Middle Eastern movies as you can from August 1, 2018 to August 31, 2018.
What is a Middle Eastern Film?
- Any film listed with a Middle Eastern nation as first country of production on IMDb automatically qualifies
- Any film shot entirely on location in a Middle East country automatically qualifies
- Any film listed in one of the Official lists below automatically qualifies
- Any other film that you genuinely believe to be a Middle Eastern movie qualifies. You should be prepared to back up your reasoning though. At a minimum, a film should have either a Middle Eastern producer/production company attached, OR a Middle Eastern country listed under the 'Country' section on the film IMDb's page, OR a significant number of Middle Eastern cast/crew members, OR substantial scenes shot in the Middle East.
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of short films counts as one entry.
- 120 minutes of TV episodes counts as one entry.
- The usual miniseries rule applies (ask if unsure).
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.
I reserve the right to exclude participants who intentionally number their viewings incorrectly. If you play the game, you're expected to play properly.
Final results will be posted between 11:30am and 12:00pm GMT on September 2 - at which point it will have been September everywhere in the world for almost a whole day. While you are welcome to post updates beyond this point, any such updates will not be included in the final results. Your choice whether you miss the deadline or not; besides, if it's September on your side of the world, shouldn't you be starting on one of next month's challenges, mm?
Eligible countries (according to Wikipedia):
United Arab Emirates
I'm aware that there is some debate about which countries are and are not part of the Middle East. Happy to take suggestions and bow to the consensus.
Stuck for ideas of what to watch? Look no further:
DIFF's 100 Greatest Arab Films
ekolay.net's Best Turkish Films
Film magazine's Best Iranian Films
UNESCO Memory List (eligible country sections only)
Asian Cinema: A Field Guide (eligible country sections only)
Israeli Film: A Reference Guide
Bibliotheca Alexandrina's Most Important 100 Egyptian films
This thread will be updated at least twice a day (more often if I am around and feel like it). Since I am updating manually, I would appreciate it if you list new films seen in a new post. If you would prefer just to endlessly edit your original post, please let me know so that I remember to check your post.
|Rank||iCMer||# of Watches|