Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)
World Cup S4: Manager sign-up

Middle Eastern Challenge - Official; August 2018

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Re: Middle Eastern Challenge - Official; August 2018

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » August 11th, 2018, 11:17 pm

8. No One Knows About Persian Cats (2009 / Bhaman Ghobadi / Iran) FTV 7/10 {325 checks}

Turkish Delights and Other Middle East HitsShow
1. Ölüm savasçisi (1984 / Cuneyt Arkin, Cetin Inanc / Turkey) FTV 9+/10 {24 checks}
2. Vahsi Kan (1983 / Cetin Inanc / Turkey) FTV 7+/10 {19 checks}
3. Tarkan and the Blood of the Vikings (1971 / Mehmet Aslan / Turkey) 7+/10 {239 checks}
4. The Deathless Devil (1973 / Yilmaz Atadeniz / Turkey) 6+/10 {29 checks}
5. Turist Ömer Uzay Yolu'nda (1973 / Hulki Saner / Turkey) FTV 5+/10 {251 checks}
6. Seytan-i racim (2013 / Arkin Aktac / Turkey) FTV 6/10 {11 checks}
7. Ammar (2014 / Ozgur Baker / Turkey) FTV 6/10 {10 checks}

8. No One Knows About Persian Cats (2009 / Bhaman Ghobadi / Iran) FTV 7/10 {325 checks}

Mate_cosido

Post by Mate_cosido » August 12th, 2018, 7:10 am

17. Beyrouth ya Beyrouth - Beirut Oh Beirut (1975, Maroun Bagdadi, Lebanon)

18. Lamma shoftak - When I Saw You (2012, Annemarie Jacir, Palestine/Jordan)

19. Khomreh - The Jar (1992, Ebrahim Forouzesh, Iran)

20. Mustang (2015, Deniz Gamze Ergüven, Turkey)

21. Paradise Now (2005, Hany Abu-Assad, Palestine)

22. Me'Ahorei Hasoragim - Beyond the Walls (1984, Uri Barbash, Israel) 50 checks
Seen so far:Show
1. Nun va Goldoon - A Moment of Innocence (1996, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Iran) *rewatch

2. Salaam Cinema - Hello Cinema (1995, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Iran) *rewatch

3. Kafr kasem - The Massacre of Kafr Kassem (1975, Borhane Alaouié, Syria/Lebanon)

4. Captain Abu Raed (2008, Amin Matalqa, Jordan)

5. Tepenin Ardi (2012, Emin Alper, Turkey)

6. Kis Uykusu - Winter Sleep (2014, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Turkey)

7. Yek Etefagh sadeh - A Simple Event (1974, Sohrab Shahid Saless, Iran)

8. A Flood in Baath Country (2005, Omar Amiralay, Syria)

9. Al hayatt al yawmiyah fi quariah suriyah - Everyday Life in a Syrian Village (1976, Omar Amiralay, Syria)

10. Niwemang - Half Moon (2006, Bahman Ghobadi, Iran) *rewatch

11. Omar (2013, Hany Abu-Assad, Palestine)

12. Where Should the Birds Fly (2013, Fida Qishta, Palestine)

13. Al-dajaj - The Chickens (1977, Omar Amiralay, Syria)

14. Zir-e poost-e shahr - Under the Skin of the City (2001, Rakhshan Banietemad, Iran)

15. Urs al-jalil - Wedding in Galilee (1987, Michel Khleifi, Palestine)

16. Ayneh - The Mirror (1997, Jafar Panahi, Iran)

17. Beyrouth ya Beyrouth - Beirut Oh Beirut (1975, Maroun Bagdadi, Lebanon)

18. Lamma shoftak - When I Saw You (2012, Annemarie Jacir, Palestine/Jordan)

19. Khomreh - The Jar (1992, Ebrahim Forouzesh, Iran)

20. Mustang (2015, Deniz Gamze Ergüven, Turkey)

21. Paradise Now (2005, Hany Abu-Assad, Palestine)

22. Me'Ahorei Hasoragim - Beyond the Walls (1984, Uri Barbash, Israel) 50 checks

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 13th, 2018, 3:23 am

Question about Politiki kouzina AKA A Touch of Spice...

It's undoubtedly a Greek movie if you had to pick a single country, but it's a Greek/Turkey Co-production (both listed as countries on IMDB, shot (in part) in Istanbul Turkey, was about the Greece/Turkey conflict, and was set ~50% in Turkey. Any problems including it here?

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 13th, 2018, 8:33 am

10. 'Allah kerim' / 'The Grace of God' / 1950, Semih Evin / 6/10 / Turkey
11. 'Alahdan Aldafeaa' / 'Warm Embrace' / 1974, Nagdy Hafez / 8/10 / Egypt
12. 'Çilgin yenge' / 'Crazy Bird' / 1994, Sami Güçlü / 2 or 3/10 / Turkey
13. 'Copie conforme' / 'Certified Copy' / 2010, Abbas Kiarostami / 7.5/10 / France / Italy / Belgium / Iran (I won't be including this in my list for the Middle East poll but it's probably just about eligible for this challenge.)

Aptly enough, Nagdy Hafez's 'Warm Embrace' is an offering imbued with an engaging sensitivity and sensuousness. A tragi-comic tale of a professional woman and her suitors and friends and the difficulties of balancing freedom and tradition. There's certainly an element of 70's kitsch to the production but I loved the bubbling interplay between the male friends and the warmth of the luminous Zubaida Tharwat. It plays almost as an Egyptian spin on the whimsically endearing 'Tom, Dick and Harry' and Tharwat even bears something of a resemblance to Ginger Rogers!

That's all, folks!

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » August 13th, 2018, 9:09 am

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 8:33 am
13. 'Copie conforme' / 'Certified Copy' / 2010, Abbas Kiarostami / 7.5/10 / France / Italy / Belgium / Iran (I won't be including this in my list for the Middle East poll but it's probably just about eligible for this challenge.)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Provocateur ! Rubbing salt in the wound !?
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 13th, 2018, 9:24 am

hurluberlu wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 9:09 am
Haha, not really. One of my sisters recorded it and I watched it yesterday evening with her. I had seen it a few years ago but was glad to see it again and perhaps appreciated its unhurried subtleties a touch more this time around. Might try to get to one or two others from Kiarostami.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 13th, 2018, 9:42 am

August 13th, 2018, 9:24 am
hurluberlu wrote:
Haha, not really. One of my sisters recorded it and I watched it yesterday evening with her. I had seen it a few years ago but was glad to see it again and perhaps appreciated its unhurried subtleties a touch more this time around. Might try to get to one or two others from Kiarostami.
Yeah, um, I think I'm going to disallow Certified Copy. Yes, it has Iran as a fourth listed country on IMDb, but as far as I can tell there is nothing Iranian about the film or its production, other than Kiarostami in the directing chair and one of his relatives as an editor. Keep in mind that the eligibility guidelines require you to genuinely believe that a film is Middle Eastern and if you're not prepared to poll-vote it, I don't think it's right to include it here.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 13th, 2018, 9:45 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 3:23 am
Question about Politiki kouzina AKA A Touch of Spice...

It's undoubtedly a Greek movie if you had to pick a single country, but it's a Greek/Turkey Co-production (both listed as countries on IMDB, shot (in part) in Istanbul Turkey, was about the Greece/Turkey conflict, and was set ~50% in Turkey. Any problems including it here?
Seems fine to me. Unlike some other hosts, I believe that the films can be genuine co-productions, so I don't really care which country made more contribution than the other, as long as there was significant Middle Eastern input.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 13th, 2018, 7:59 pm

sol wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 9:42 am
August 13th, 2018, 9:24 am
hurluberlu wrote:

Yeah, um, I think I'm going to disallow Certified Copy. Yes, it has Iran as a fourth listed country on IMDb, but as far as I can tell there is nothing Iranian about the film or its production, other than Kiarostami in the directing chair and one of his relatives as an editor. Keep in mind that the eligibility guidelines require you to genuinely believe that a film is Middle Eastern and if you're not prepared to poll-vote it, I don't think it's right to include it here.
It's your call, Sol. I guess I can live with that even if I do think it just meets the criteria. It was perhaps a little cheeky of me to include it here. I would though point out that you included 'Rush Hour' and 'The Tuxedo' in your tally for the China/HK/Taiwan Challenge last month and neither of those films have Hong Kong as a country of co-production.

Back to 12 I shall go...
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on August 13th, 2018, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 13th, 2018, 9:54 pm

August 13th, 2018, 7:59 pm
It's your call, Sol. I guess I can live with that even if I do think it just meets the ctiteria. It was perhaps a little cheeky of me to include it here. I would though point out that you included 'Rush Hour' and 'The Tuxedo' in your tally for the China/HK/Taiwan Challenge last month and neither of those films have Hong Kong as a country of co-production.

Back to 12 I shall go...
That was my fault - both of those show up on the official Asian Cinema list under the Hong Kong section, which I listed as a resource, with an implied "they automatically count" in the OP. I made a judgment call about that list early in the challenge (a dumb call, IMHO), so they got "loopholed" in.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » August 13th, 2018, 10:13 pm

02. Chronique des années de braise, by Mohammed Lakhdar-Hamina (1975) 4/10

Activist cinema, poorly directed, too long and too slow...
SpoilerShow
01. Wadjda, by Haifaa Al-Mansour (2012) 8/10

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 13th, 2018, 10:24 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 9:54 pm
August 13th, 2018, 7:59 pm
It's your call, Sol. I guess I can live with that even if I do think it just meets the ctiteria. It was perhaps a little cheeky of me to include it here. I would though point out that you included 'Rush Hour' and 'The Tuxedo' in your tally for the China/HK/Taiwan Challenge last month and neither of those films have Hong Kong as a country of co-production.

Back to 12 I shall go...
That was my fault - both of those show up on the official Asian Cinema list under the Hong Kong section, which I listed as a resource, with an implied "they automatically count" in the OP. I made a judgment call about that list early in the challenge (a dumb call, IMHO), so they got "loopholed" in.
Yeah, I suppose so. I'm not really criticising anyone, one way or the other. Haven't actually checked what Iranian films are in those official lists so I don't know whether 'Copie conforme' shows up in any of them.
That's all, folks!

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » August 13th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Just my two little cents, please ignore me,

disallowing 'Copie conforme' here negates all the rules that have been established for these country/region polls so far-
sol wrote:Yes, it has Iran as a fourth listed country on IMDb, but as far as I can tell there is nothing Iranian about the film or its production, other than Kiarostami in the directing chair and one of his relatives as an editor.
sol wrote:Unlike some other hosts, I believe that the films can be genuine co-productions, so I don't really care which country made more contribution than the other, as long as there was significant Middle Eastern input.
Well, a film that is directed by Abbas Kiarostami, co-written by Abbas Kiarostami and co-produced by Abbas Kiarostami, not to mention having Iran as one of its co-producing partners (no matter in which IMDb position it happens to be), fits a considerable part of the rules' criteria established for the challenge. It's through the director/writer/producer's eyes/lenses/words that we experience the relationship and landscape exploring (internal/external) in 'Copie conforme', and in this sense it is a very Persian film (in structure and thematic) and very affiliated with the director's more regionally Iranian work.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 13th, 2018, 11:00 pm

jdidaco wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:42 pm
It's through the director/writer/producer's eyes/lenses/words that we experience the relationship and landscape exploring (internal/external) in 'Copie conforme', and in this sense it is a very Persian film (in structure and thematic) and very affiliated with the director's more regionally Iranian work.
Hmmmm, I quite like that observation. Thanks jd! Hudson Moura, a critic/writer/teacher I hadn't heard of before, says that ''Kiarostami managed to make a European film without losing or compromising his style'' and that the film ''helped to consecrate Iranian cinema on the international scene''.
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on August 14th, 2018, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!

Mate_cosido

Post by Mate_cosido » August 13th, 2018, 11:34 pm

I don't know why are the rules so thoroughly enforced in the challenges, but in the polls any movie gets to be in the list :shrug:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 14th, 2018, 12:59 am

Mate_cosido wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 11:34 pm
I don't know why are the rules so thoroughly enforced in the challenges, but in the polls any movie gets to be in the list :shrug:
Because the polls are built on a consensus - a bunch of people have to agree that a film should be included for it to make the final list. Whereas with the challenges, your score is based on what you watch, and only you. The challenge rules are enforced just to keep everyone playing by the same rules and to make it consistent within that specific challenge.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 14th, 2018, 1:02 am

8. A Touch of Spice (2003, Greece/Turkey co-production)

This was a really nice film, using cooking as a metaphor for life during the Greece/Turkey conflicts. This follows the story of a young Greek boy, born in Turkey, deported to Greece during the conflict, who then later returns to Turkey as an adult. Very touching with some great humor in there. You feel the pain and sadness of the boy as he experiences the ups and downs of life in his two worlds, and what family does and does not offer. Quite enjoyable and definitely recommended.
Reminder: NOT the Mid-WestShow
1. Under the Shadow (2016, Iran)
2. My Father and My Son (2005, Turkey)
3. Where Should the Birds Fly (2013, Palestine)
"4. Shorts:
P Like Pelican (1972, Iran, 25m)
The Night It Rained (1967, Iran, 35m)"
5. Salaam Cinema (1995)
6. Five Broken Cameras (2011, Palestine)
7. Streets of Jerusalem (2004, Canada/Israel)
8. A Touch of Spice (2003, Greece/Turkey co-production)

morrison-dylan-fan

Post by morrison-dylan-fan » August 14th, 2018, 1:25 am

FTV:

2 Mosaferan (1991) 10. Iran.
SpoilerShow
Following the car on the doomed journey to the wedding, writer/directing auteur Bahram Beizai & cinematographer Mehrdad Fakhimi take inspiration from French cinema of the late 50’s/early 60’s to give this entry in the Iran New Wave (INW) an incredibly fluid, ultra-stylised appearance, with the plucked strings of Babak Bayat’s score and winding turns round every corner of the road signalling the oncoming tragedy. Set in the heart of Iran’s suburbia, Fakhimi coats the movie in a brisk light blue appearance, highlighting the break in the earthy marriage traditions the family are now unable to follow.

Getting to the church on time, Beizai rolls out a breath-taking 30 minute final, weaving the camera between the guests/family at the wedding/ unofficial wake and tugging at fear from the deaths with dazzling shots of the walls closing in. Spinning the INW into surrealism, Beizai reflects a spectacular final sequence, which brings light back to the lives of the guests/families, and allows the deceased to cross over to the bright light. Turning what should be the happiest day for the family into the darkest, the screenplay by Beizai carves the abrasions within the family, (played by a magnificent ensemble cast) with superbly written dialogue that blends poetic realism with the INW’s earthy roots following the families on their travellers.
Edited for spoiler tags

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 14th, 2018, 1:34 am

6. Niwemang / Half moon (Iran 06) (triple)
I rewatched Darbare 111 dokhtar with my son over the weekend and was surfeited with Kurdish road movies, but this was a NF DVD so...

7. The Messiah (Iran 07) - (triple)
Islamic take on Jesus, really bizarre! (on youtube)

SpoilerShow
1. Darbare 111 dokhtar / (About) 111 girls (Iran 12) - Triple
2. Ashkan, angoshtar-e motebarek va dastan-haye digar (Iran 09) - Rewatch (triple)
3. Keshtzar haye sepid / The white meadows (Iran 09) - triple
4. Chand kilo khorma baraye marassem-e tadfin / A few kilos of dates for a funeral (Iran 06) - triple
5. Sag-haye velgard / Stray dogs (Iran 04) - triple
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 14th, 2018, 3:24 am

3eyes wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 1:34 am
That sounds utterly fascinating... do you have a link you could share?

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » August 14th, 2018, 5:16 am

morrison-dylan-fan wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 1:25 am
FTV:

2 Mosaferan (1991) 10. Iran.
You might want to use spoiler tags the next time. :(
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

sebby

Post by sebby » August 14th, 2018, 7:16 am

08 the pear tree 1998 - 6.5/10
22 the day i became a woman 2000 - 7.5/10

SpoilerShow
01 a time for drunken horses 2000 - 6/10
02 Cheraghi dar meh 2008 - 8/10
03 leila 1997 - 6.5/10
04 the other side of hope 2017 - 6.5/10
05 paradise now 2005 - 6/10

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 14th, 2018, 8:03 am

Reading back through these recent posts I'm not sure that I expressed myself quite as well as I could have. One or two clarifications as a way of drawing a line under things:

a) I don't feel I adequately explained my reasoning for leaving 'Copie conforme' off my ballot for the Middle East poll. I regard these challenges as a discovering ground for films and the polls as the fine tip of things. Therefore, I might include a co-production among my challenge viewing and omit it from a list for a poll. To keep it short, challenges and polls are a little different in my eyes.
b) My comment about leaving it off my poll submission was a little badly-worded and could easily have been misconstrued. I do think it is a Middle Eastern film in some measure and, indeed, I wouldn't have listed it here if I felt otherwise.

Just wanted to clear those things up because they've been nagging at me.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 14th, 2018, 9:49 am

Damn, this thread has received a lot activity in the 18 hours since I visited here last. Lots to respond to.

1. Roger - both of those Chan films were movies that I had already watched for the Action Challenge and which I included retroactively after Maxwell pointed out the loophole.
2. JD - my stance on co-production exists for films like Black Robe, which has so much input from both Canada and Australia that it is included in both Official Lists. The litmus test for me is whether the film would look appropriate in a top movies list for a given country.
3. The main thing that deterred me from letting Certified Copy pass was Roger's admission that he would not include it in a Middle Eastern poll since my rules stipulate genuine belief in a film being Middle Eastern.
4. "The challenge rules are enforced just to keep everyone playing by the same rules and to make it consistent within that specific challenge." - Well said, Max. All that I am after is consistency, which brings up some odd issues (see point #6)
5. In accordance with the paragraph that I have included in the OP of every Challenge that I have hosted since January, I will be resetting sebby's score to zero.
6. Thanks for the clarification, Roger. I am very wary about setting precedents because I want to protect the integrity of Challenges that I host... but I guess the precedent has now been set and I suppose I shouldn't object because there are tons of Golan-Globus films in my blind, most of which are equally as Middle Eastern as Certified Copy, and I do need an extra reason to seek them out.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it vexing that there have been more posts about eligibility on this thread than there have been posts of viewing updates. I now know why it is so difficult to find hosts for these Challenges. The updating of the scoreboard isn't too time-consuming, but dealing with all the arguing and infighting is draining. Which is not to say that I am going to stop hosting Challenges altogether, but I am going to have to give it a long hard think before I volunteer to host a Country/Region Challenge again. I am always happy to do what I can to keep the Challenge series chugging along, but this is too much strain in what is a busy month for me work-wise. I like to keep the rules as flexible as possible with some restrictions, but after all of this, if I host a Country/Region Challenge again, I'll probably allow absolutely everything since this is way too much to deal with.

P.S.: That last line is more aimed at sebby, who has chosen to make life difficult by randomly numbering his ballot, than anyone else.
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 14th, 2018, 10:13 am

Sorry to be such a bother, Sol!

Go for those Golan entries! I'm sure a few of them go some way to scaling the heights. I remember last year absolutely loving his wildly exuberant 'Mack the Knife' (a Dutch/Hungarian co-production though). Thanks for reminding me of him!
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 14th, 2018, 10:53 am

August 14th, 2018, 10:13 am
Sorry to be such a bother, Sol!

Go for those Golan entries! I'm sure a few of them go some way to scaling the heights. I remember last year absolutely loving his wildly exuberant 'Mack the Knife' (a Dutch/Hungarian co-production though). Thanks for reminding me of him!
It's fine, don't worry; I probably shouldn't have accepted hosting this Challenge (in such a busy work month) in the first place. :pinch: Thanks for the rec; I'm thinking particularly of The Delta Force, which I ran out of time to watch for last month's Action Challenge, but there are probably other semi-Israeli Golan-Globus films worth a whirl too.
Image Image Image

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 14th, 2018, 11:21 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 3:24 am
3eyes wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 1:34 am
That sounds utterly fascinating... do you have a link you could share?

just added to ICM page as well.

The Judas part felt kind of Rudolf Steiner-ish to me....

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » August 14th, 2018, 4:18 pm

SpoilerShow
1. El haram/The Sin (1965) Egypt
2. Giv'a 24 Eina Ona/Hill 24 Doesn't Answer (1955) Israel
3. A New Day in Old Sana'a (2005) Yemen 5/10

BTW, I've seen the Finnish The Other Side of Hope from Kaurismaki. I don't know about counting it, but it does revolve around the experiences of a Syrian man in Finland and his experiences getting there. There may be footage of his relatives, which if I remember, live in a number of countries including Syria and Lebanon if I remember correctly. It is a movie made in response to the Syrian seeking refuge wherever they can. I could imagine this film being shown at a Middle Eastern film festival, even if it takes place in Finland. I've seen some iffy co-productions being shown at some film festivals before.

sebby

Post by sebby » August 14th, 2018, 8:43 pm

sol wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 9:49 am
P.S.: That last line is more aimed at sebby, who has chosen to make life difficult by randomly numbering his ballot, than anyone else.
If my personal count was going to be ignored and amended there's no reason for me to keep it accurate going forward.

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » August 14th, 2018, 10:42 pm

9. The Band’s Visit (2007 / Eran Kolirin / Israel) 9+/10 {785 checks}
10. Under the Olive Trees (1994 / Abbas Kiarostami / Iran) 8+/10 {885 checks}
11. A Separation (2011 / Asghar Farhadi / Iran) FTV 9+/10 {9834 checks}

Turkish Delights and Other HitsShow
1. Ölüm savasçisi (1984 / Cuneyt Arkin, Cetin Inanc / Turkey) FTV 9+/10 {24 checks}
3. Tarkan and the Blood of the Vikings (1971 / Mehmet Aslan / Turkey) 7+/10 {239 checks}
5. Turist Ömer Uzay Yolu'nda (1973 / Hulki Saner / Turkey) FTV 5+/10 {251 checks}

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » August 15th, 2018, 8:03 am

SpoilerShow
1. Boreg (2014, Israel) 3/10

2. Suicide (2014, Israel) 6/10 (Triple challenge movie)

sebby

Post by sebby » August 15th, 2018, 9:01 am

what's in a #. cairo station 1958 - 7/10

SpoilerShow
03 leila 1997 - 6.5/10

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 15th, 2018, 4:39 pm

1. Haji Agha actore cinema / Haji Agha, the Cinema Actor (Ovanes Ohanian, 1933, Iran)

One of the oldest surviving Iranian films and I believe the last silent feature - Dokhtare Lor ya irane druz va emruz, the first sound feature, came out just weeks after this was released and not surprisingly killed the nascent Iranian silent cinema - and for Farsi speakers, the latter is on YouTube at the moment unsubbed - this is certainly a historical artifact first and foremost, and, at least in the poor condition that it exists online in, not much else. The copy I watched was intertitled in Farsi, Russian and French - but sometimes only in Farsi - and I'm far from fluent in French, so I can't say I got the best experience here; and it's absolutely absymal in quality. But there are still some interesting elements to be gleaned in this tale of a filmmaker (the director) who in trying to convince a wealthy businessman that cinema is a good thing and not ungodly, surreptitiously films the man going about his life and then shows him the results. Not surprisingly it's mostly slapstick comedy with lots of falling down and such, and the actor who plays Haji Agha looks rather like a cross between a young Fidel Castro and Jacques Tati, so there's some fun, but most of the enjoyment for me was in contemplating that even in this very early film, the Iranian cinema was well aware of the contradictions between art, entertainment, faith, Iranian-ness and foreign-ness.

2. Avodah / Work (Helmar Lerski, 1935, Palestine)
3. Adamah / Tomorrow's a Wonderful Day (Helmar Lerski, 1947. Israel/Palestine)

These early propagandistic short features used to be listed on IMDb as being from the British Mandate of Palestine, which is more accurate, but I guess the guys in charge there didn't want to confuse the dummies with no understanding of history who couldn't be bothered to look up old, dead political entities. At any rate, the first of these is about the early emigration to then-Palestine by Zionist settlers from the USA and Europe, 1890s-1930s. It's a pretty visually striking work, clearly heavily influenced by the Soviet montage school and perhaps Joris Ivens, with the workers coming in to tame the land for communal prosperity. The empty land - a land, if you watch this film, that doesn't seem to have any people. Hmm. Literally no mention of those already inhabiting the space whatsoever.

The second film documents a teenaged Holocaust survivor's attempts to adjust to a new life and to get through his fears of the camps and captivity; it's a little less overt or obvious in it's politics, perhaps, and perhaps there isn't as much "need" in this kind of story to acknowledge the former inhabitants, but it's still not something that you can forget. It's all overdubbed/narrated in English and was clearly meant as a tool to help interest American Jews in moving to or helping the nascent state of Israel. It's also not as beautiful a piece of cinema as the first film; both definitely function more as historical curiosities than anything else I think.

4. Dananir (Ahmed Badrakhan, 1940, Egypt)

My first exposure - at least on film - to the mega-star Egyptian singer Om Koultoum, who starred in a few musicals in this period but is mostly known for her recordings and songwriting. She plays a simple bedouin girl whose voice is heard by one of the Caliph's top men, and is then taken to live in the palace, where lots of intrique and plotting and assassinations follow and the mood turns from love songs and comedy to tragedy and despair. I can't say this did a whole lot for me musically or cinematically up until the finish, where Koutoum's extraordinarily plaintive final song really lifts the film up into something at least memorable, if still not really great. Very different from other Egyptian musicals I've seen, and overall not really my cup of tea, but certainly worth one view.

5. Afrita hanem / Lady Afrita / Little Miss Devil (Henry Barakat, 1949, Egypt)

Much more to my liking, and I suppose much closer to Hollywood musicals in some respects, is this tale of a loser musician who just doesn't have the money to marry his sweetheart (whose father is also his boss), but happens to find a magic lamp, and a genie who beats the pants, veils and everything else off Barbara Eden for sexiness and mischievousness. Farid al Atrache as Asfour, our hero, has a nice voice and is a decent enough romantic lead but it's certainly Samia Gamal as both genie Kahramana and the human she sends to win Asfour's hear, Semsema, who stands out in both dancing and comedy - one of the sexiest performances I've seen in a very long time. There are definitely some negatives - the comedy stylings of Afour's second banana friend left me pretty cold, and it did start to feel a little busy and perhaps too madcap with maybe not as much real romance as it could have had, but this was pretty enjoyable start to finish and the last big song and dance number could have come straight out of a big-budget Hollywood musical of the period.

morrison-dylan-fan

Post by morrison-dylan-fan » August 16th, 2018, 1:41 am

3: The Legend of a Sigh (1991) 8. Iran.

Spoilers.

Tying up the beginning and ending of the film as a ouroboros, writer/ director Tahmineh Milani & cinematographer Reza Banki retain the Neo-Realist atmosphere of the Iran New Wave,but uniquely bend it with a fantasy twist, where “Sigh” appears like a ghost from A Christmas Carol,and gives the woman keys to a new life. Opening doors to a new life/persona,Milani dries up her hopes with an unflinching INW eye for run-down rural locations, where the yellowing grass and bone-dry earth,that stay still as the woman thumps her hands and sighs over losing the latest meaning in her life.

Taking an episodic path, the screenplay by Milani takes a delicate feminist examination of the hardships each woman faces in lives that look “perfect” from the outside, but are far from it behind closed doors. Oddly not having the woman remember any of her past incarnations, Milani elegantly shows in coming full circle that death is something that has to be accepted,and that despite appearances,there is no easy way for a woman to fulfil her goals without the hardship of a sigh.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 16th, 2018, 1:46 am

8. Rødt hjerte / Red heart (Nor-Iraq 11) - triple
Despite the Norwegian title, this is a Kurdish film set in Iraqi Kurdistan, of which the director is a native. (Amazon Prime US)

SpoilerShow
1. Darbare 111 dokhtar / (About) 111 girls (Iran 12) - Triple
2. Ashkan, angoshtar-e motebarek va dastan-haye digar (Iran 09) - Rewatch (triple)
3. Keshtzar haye sepid / The white meadows (Iran 09) - triple
4. Chand kilo khorma baraye marassem-e tadfin / A few kilos of dates for a funeral (Iran 06) - triple
5. Sag-haye velgard / Stray dogs (Iran 04) - triple
8. Rødt hjerte / Red heart (Nor-Iraq 11) - triple

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » August 16th, 2018, 1:51 am

12. Ten (2002 / Abbas Kiarostami / Iran) FTV 7/10 {1402 checks}
13. The Messiah (2007 / Nader Talebzadeh / Iran) FTV 7+/10 {4 checks} – Thanks to 3eyes for calling this one to my attention. It was interesting to see a film from Iran that was not in a contemporary setting and the final 10 minutes definitely took a bizarre turn.

Turkish Delights and Other HitsShow

12. Ten (2002 / Abbas Kiarostami / Iran) FTV 7/10 {1402 checks}
13. The Messiah (2007 / Nader Talebzadeh / Iran) FTV 7+/10 {4 checks}

sebby

Post by sebby » August 16th, 2018, 6:43 am

you tell me. under the bombs 2007 - 3/10

SpoilerShow
03 leila 1997 - 6.5/10
you tell me. under the bombs 2007 - 3/10

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 16th, 2018, 9:32 am

14. 'Sürgün' / 'The Banishment' / 1951, Orhon M. Ariburnu / 7/10 / Turkey
15. 'El motamarreda' / 'The Rebel' / 1963, Mahmoud Zulfikar / 6.5/10 / Egypt
16. 'Garip bir izdivaç' / 'A Strange Wedding' / 1965, Nejat Saydam / 5/10 / Turkey
17. 'Hamisha Yamim B'Sinai' / 'Five Days in Sinai' / 1968, Maurizio Lucidi / 4 or 5/10 / Italy / Israel
18. 'Al-Ra'i wal Nisaa' / 'The Shepherd and the Women' / 1991, Aly Badrakhan / 8.5/10 / Egypt

Bubbling, ignited passion in the Egyptian countryside as a released convict visits the dwelling of his deceased friend and encounters the man's widow, daughter, and sister. Badrakhan's 'The Shepherd and the Women' features fascinating dynamics, performances of depth and passion, and wonderful, eye-catching utilisation of the remote river-side setting in which the interactions play out. A film of sadness and joy and one billowing with a sensuous musicality and colourfulness.

That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 16th, 2018, 11:57 am

Middle Eastern PromisesShow
1. A Time for Drunken Horses (2000) Iran
2. Footnote (2011) Israel
3. The Testament (2017) Israel

4. The Wedding Plan (2016) Israel

As a jilted Jewish woman continues to plan her wedding, believing that the Lord will give her another husband by the wedding date, this sounds quirky and offbeat enough, and as one of her blind dates is with a deaf man who can only communicate via translator, the film has some genuine laughs early on. As it progresses though, things quickly grow tiresome and maudlin; she keeps whining about not having the right man, but then is too selective and idealistic. It is also difficult to really like a movie that argues so emphatically in favour of marriage as a magical solution.
Image Image Image

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma » August 16th, 2018, 1:37 pm

01 - Blackboards/Takhté siah (Samira Makhmalbaf, 2000) 6/10

02 - Mustang (Deniz Gamze Ergüven, 2015) 7/10

03 - The Town/Kasaba (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, 1997) 6/10

04 - The Day I Became a Woman/Roozi ke zan shodam (Marziyeh Meshkini, 2000) 6/10

05 - The Tenants/Ejareh-Nesheenha (Dariush Mehrjui, 1986) 5/10

06 - The Traveler/Mossafer (Abbas Kiarostami, 1974) 7/10