Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Middle Eastern Challenge - Official; August 2018

sebby

Re: Middle Eastern Challenge - Official; August 2018

Post by sebby » August 7th, 2018, 12:21 am

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
August 7th, 2018, 12:10 am
You'd have a point if this was an Arab Challenge, sebby. It isn't. It's a challenge devoted to the cinemas of the Middle East.
have you seen the film?

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 7th, 2018, 12:33 am

sebby wrote:
August 7th, 2018, 12:21 am
You'd have a point if this was an Arab Challenge, sebby. It isn't. It's a challenge devoted to the cinemas of the Middle East.
have you seen the film?
No. Neither funding nor director come from the Middle East so it seems a fairly black and white case to me. I've had a quick look at the film's IMDb entry and it is a Finnish-German co-production that focuses on the immigration situation.

EDIT

Just to clarify as to how I look at issues of eligibility, these are three questions that I tend to pose:

a) Funding: Are (any of) the companies behind the production from the country/region in question?
b) Director or main creative vision: Is this individual or group of the region or country?
c) Setting: Is the film set in the country or region?

Kaurismäki's film ticks none of these boxes, as far as I can make out.
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on August 7th, 2018, 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
That's all, folks!

sebby

Post by sebby » August 7th, 2018, 1:02 am

August 7th, 2018, 12:33 am
sebby wrote:
August 7th, 2018, 12:21 am
have you seen the film?
No. Neither funding nor director come from the Middle East so it seems a fairly black and white case to me. I've had a quick look at the film's IMDb entry and it is a Finnish-German co-production that focuses on the immigration situation.
so if Farhadi had directed the film it would count? or it would count if this was a german challenge? that doesn't make any sense to me.

as I suggested, let's try to have those familiar with the film weigh in. i'll be keeping my score as is until there is a more democratic resolution.

sol, it seems you've miscounted and left one film off my tally on the first post. please update.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 7th, 2018, 1:07 am

3. Keshtzar haye sepid / The white meadows (Iran 09) - triple
SpoilerShow
1. Darbare 111 dokhtar / (About) 111 girls (Iran 12) - Triple
2. Ashkan, angoshtar-e motebarek va dastan-haye digar (Iran 09) - Rewatch (triple)
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 7th, 2018, 1:10 am

Possibly, yes. Farhadi is a film-maker from the Middle East. See my edited post above.
That's all, folks!

sebby

Post by sebby » August 7th, 2018, 1:24 am

August 7th, 2018, 1:10 am
Possibly, yes. Farhadi is a film-maker from the Middle East. See my edited post above.
so would batman begins count in a UK challenge? english director, english star.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 7th, 2018, 2:13 am

sebby wrote:
August 7th, 2018, 1:24 am
Yes. It was co-produced by Syncopy Fims, which was set up by Nolan and his wife in London. Obviously, it's primarily an American film but there is a British involvement. There is no such Middle Eastern involvement to the Finnish film you saw.
That's all, folks!

sebby

Post by sebby » August 7th, 2018, 2:49 am

August 7th, 2018, 2:13 am
sebby wrote:
Yes. It was co-produced by Syncopy Fims, which was set up by Nolan and his wife in London. Obviously, it's primarily an American film but there is a British involvement. There is no such Middle Eastern involvement to the Finnish film you saw.
ha!

so syncopy's involvement makes Batman a UK film while TOSOH being about a middle eastern man tackling one of the biggest middle eastern issues of the day is not enough to make it a middle eastern film?

sorry, but absolute lunacy.

i must now take a firmer stand and will not accept any argument that the film in question does not qualify for this challenge :party:

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 7th, 2018, 3:08 am

sebby wrote:
August 7th, 2018, 2:49 am
sebby wrote:

ha!

so syncopy's involvement makes Batman a UK film while TOSOH being about a middle eastern man tackling one of the biggest middle eastern issues of the day is not enough to make it a middle eastern film?

i must now take a firmer stand and will not accept any argument that the film in question does not qualify for this challenge :party:
Well, ultimately it's up to Sol.
That's all, folks!

sebby

Post by sebby » August 7th, 2018, 3:11 am

August 7th, 2018, 3:08 am
sebby wrote:

ha!

i have ways of combating unwelcome outcomes.

Mate_cosido

Post by Mate_cosido » August 7th, 2018, 3:12 am

Gershwin wrote:
August 6th, 2018, 7:29 am
Nice streak, Mate_cosido! Three of my favourites in a row. Did you enjoy (any of) these films?
I enjoy almost everything i see, and those were no exception, I liked Tepenin ardi the most of the three, and probably will put it on my Middle East favourites list

Mate_cosido

Post by Mate_cosido » August 7th, 2018, 6:30 am

8. A Flood in Baath Country (2005, Omar Amiralay, Syria)

9. Al hayatt al yawmiyah fi quariah suriyah - Everyday Life in a Syrian Village (1976, Omar Amiralay, Syria)

10. Niwemang - Half Moon (2006, Bahman Ghobadi, Iran) *rewatch

11. Omar (2013, Hany Abu-Assad, Palestine)

Seen so far:Show
1. Nun va Goldoon - A Moment of Innocence (1996, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Iran) *rewatch

2. Salaam Cinema - Hello Cinema (1995, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Iran) *rewatch

3. Kafr kasem - The Massacre of Kafr Kassem (1975, Borhane Alaouié, Syria/Lebanon)

4. Captain Abu Raed (2008, Amin Matalqa, Jordan)

5. Tepenin Ardi (2012, Emin Alper, Turkey)

6. Kis Uykusu - Winter Sleep (2014, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Turkey)

7. Yek Etefagh sadeh - A Simple Event (1974, Sohrab Shahid Saless, Iran)

9. Al hayatt al yawmiyah fi quariah suriyah - Everyday Life in a Syrian Village (1976, Omar Amiralay, Syria)

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 7th, 2018, 10:59 am

August 7th, 2018, 3:08 am
sebby wrote:
I have hosted Country challenges three times before and this is the first time that such an issue has arisen, so I have updated the OP to clarify the criteria for eligibility. I would, however, like to believe that the rules are fairly flexible as is. There are several users out there (I've had the discussions so I know) who disallow co-productions altogether when considering countries unless the country in question has made the most significant contribution to a given film. That's not a stance that I support, by the way, but just some perspective as to the very diverse notions of eligibility out there.

And sebby - it's not a big deal for me to mentally subtract one point each time I update the leaderboard, so if (as a protest) you wish to include the film in your personal count, that's perfectly fine by me. :thumbsup:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 7th, 2018, 11:06 am

That's an interesting potential idea for a future Official Challenge: an overall Arab Challenge, which could also include non-Middle Eastern films dedicated to the Arab experience overseas, e.g. My Brother the Devil. We could also do an Official Jewish Challenge along similar lines, perhaps other ethnicity groups too. Food for thought.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 7th, 2018, 11:36 am

4. 'Tarik el amal' / 'The Road of Hope' / 1958, Ezzel Dine Zulficar / 8.5/10 / Egypt
5. 'Ölüm saati' / 'Time of Death' / 1967, Ertem Göreç / 6/10 / Turkey
6. 'Milh Hadha al-Bahr' / 'Salt of This Sea' / 2008, Annemarie Jacir / 8/10 / Palestine / Belgium / France / Spain / Switzerland

A descent into prostitution, the saving rays of love, and the struggle for social acceptance are bound up in an irresistible melodrama from Ezzel Dine Zulficar. A production staged and performed with sensuousness and passion and featuring some eye-catching visuals. I particularly loved the recurring use of prison bars lengthening in shadow as a motif and symbol of obstacles and difficulties that human empathy and understanding can work against. First Lady of the Egyptian screen Faten Hamama and dashing Ahmed Mazhar bring a great warmth and humanity to their eye-catching roles. A film that mixes fascinating and powerful social considerations with pleasant touches of the humourous and the redemptive.

That's all, folks!

flaiky

Post by flaiky » August 7th, 2018, 7:45 pm

sebby wrote:
August 6th, 2018, 11:37 pm
for me it's about central theme/plot (check), main character or characters (check), and spoken language (check) more than these smaller concerns. the question regarding TOSOH is simply whether a large enough % of the film is imbued with these characteristics.

i'm open to people who have actually seen the film weighing in on this. it's certainly not a finnish film. it's a finnish/arab film. up to the peanut gallery to decide if it is enough of the latter to count for this challenge. if a majority of folks who have seen the film and represent a large enough number (let's say 5+) agree with you, then i'll strike it from my tally.
Re the top bit: that's never the criteria used for deciding a country's origin, and the country challenges and polls here are always meant to focus on origin (not themes etc).

And yes, I have seen it. I'd never consider it a "Middle Eastern film". It's literally about the experience of a Syrian man living in Finland.

Also a bit taken aback by how assertive you've gotten ("correct my tally" etc) over one extra point? Wasn't just watching the film good enough? It's Kaurismaki, he's worth watching with or without a notch on the board.

(I'm going to watch some stuff for the challenge btw, will add a comment soon)
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » August 7th, 2018, 8:05 pm

It wouldn't hurt admitting you were simply quite intoxicated when posting that first comment, Sebby. :P Or maybe not, but it was very late at night at yours anyhow, 3.36 AM, so it might explain why you decided to take this stance in the first place.

Anyhow, I haven't seen the film, but from what I've read about it I'd never allow it if I were running this challenge. It's like allowing Chaplin's The Immigrant in an Italian challenge.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

sebby

Post by sebby » August 7th, 2018, 11:29 pm

flaiky wrote:
August 7th, 2018, 7:45 pm
sebby wrote:
August 6th, 2018, 11:37 pm
for me it's about central theme/plot (check), main character or characters (check), and spoken language (check) more than these smaller concerns. the question regarding TOSOH is simply whether a large enough % of the film is imbued with these characteristics.

i'm open to people who have actually seen the film weighing in on this. it's certainly not a finnish film. it's a finnish/arab film. up to the peanut gallery to decide if it is enough of the latter to count for this challenge. if a majority of folks who have seen the film and represent a large enough number (let's say 5+) agree with you, then i'll strike it from my tally.
Re the top bit: that's never the criteria used for deciding a country's origin, and the country challenges and polls here are always meant to focus on origin (not themes etc).

And yes, I have seen it. I'd never consider it a "Middle Eastern film". It's literally about the experience of a Syrian man living in Finland.

Also a bit taken aback by how assertive you've gotten ("correct my tally" etc) over one extra point? Wasn't just watching the film good enough? It's Kaurismaki, he's worth watching with or without a notch on the board.

(I'm going to watch some stuff for the challenge btw, will add a comment soon)
The criteria for deciding a country's origin for a challenge has always been the whim of the OP.

As you said it's literally about the experience of a Syrian man.

sebby

Post by sebby » August 7th, 2018, 11:40 pm

Gershwin wrote:
August 7th, 2018, 8:05 pm
It wouldn't hurt admitting you were simply quite intoxicated when posting that first comment, Sebby. :P Or maybe not, but it was very late at night at yours anyhow, 3.36 AM, so it might explain why you decided to take this stance in the first place.

Anyhow, I haven't seen the film, but from what I've read about it I'd never allow it if I were running this challenge. It's like allowing Chaplin's The Immigrant in an Italian challenge.
That's not a 1:1 example.

We have one challenge where reality TV shows are counted and another where films starring Middle Eastern actors speaking Arabic centered around a Middle Eastern experience are DQ'd.

In many challenges I have seen films allowed simply b/c the director is from a certain country. Like I could watch copie conforme and i'm sure nobody would bat an eye if i counted it for this challenge, even though it is so much less a ME film than TOSOH.

THIS IS BACKWARDSLAND

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 8th, 2018, 1:28 am

4. Chand kilo khorma baraye marassem-e tadfin / A few kilos of dates for a funeral (Iran 06) - triple
kind of absurdist - kept me wondering where it was going but it all came together in the end.

SpoilerShow
2. Ashkan, angoshtar-e motebarek va dastan-haye digar (Iran 09) - Rewatch (triple)
4. Chand kilo khorma baraye marassem-e tadfin / A few kilos of dates for a funeral (Iran 06) - triple

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » August 8th, 2018, 7:18 am

sebby wrote:
August 7th, 2018, 11:40 pm
(...) Like I could watch copie conforme and i'm sure nobody would bat an eye if i counted it for this challenge, even though it is so much less a ME film than TOSOH.
I would. I'm very strict in those things. :shifty:
RokP 250

sebby

Post by sebby » August 8th, 2018, 10:04 am

Gershwin wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 7:18 am
sebby wrote:
August 7th, 2018, 11:40 pm
(...) Like I could watch copie conforme and i'm sure nobody would bat an eye if i counted it for this challenge, even though it is so much less a ME film than TOSOH.
I would. I'm very strict in those things. :shifty:
Well I wouldn't count it either b/c there's absolutely nothing ME about it, unlike TOSOH. But the precedent has been set in dozens and dozens of challenges that the bar is low and films like that would typically count. We are essentially just doing this challenge stuff for fun, so IMO the rulebook should be sparse. If you can provide a sensible argument that a film fits, it should count, and I believe the argument I made is cogent enough given that this isn't FIFA or the fucking Olympics.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin » August 8th, 2018, 10:13 am

For me the basic rule is whether a film would be fitting in a top ten as the result of a poll. Would it be weird seeing a film end up high in a regional or genre poll? Then it probably doesn't fit the challenge either.
RokP 250

ororama

Post by ororama » August 8th, 2018, 11:14 am

1. The Band's Visit (2007) * 87 min. (Israel)

*First time viewing

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » August 8th, 2018, 11:46 pm

1. Ölüm savasçisi (1984 / Cuneyt Arkin, Cetin Inanc / Turkey) FTV 9+/10 {24 checks}
2. Vahsi Kan (1983 / Cetin Inanc / Turkey) FTV 7+/10 {19 checks}
3. Tarkan and the Blood of the Vikings (1971 / Mehmet Aslan / Turkey) 7+/10 {239 checks}
4. The Deathless Devil (1973 / Yilmaz Atadeniz / Turkey) 6+/10 {29 checks}

Mate_cosido

Post by Mate_cosido » August 9th, 2018, 4:53 am

12. Where Should the Birds Fly (2013, Fida Qishta, Palestine)

13. Al-dajaj - The Chickens (1977, Omar Amiralay, Syria)

14. Zir-e poost-e shahr - Under the Skin of the City (2001, Rakhshan Banietemad, Iran)

15. Urs al-jalil - Wedding in Galilee (1987, Michel Khleifi, Palestine)

16. Ayneh - The Mirror (1997, Jafar Panahi, Iran)
Seen so far:Show
1. Nun va Goldoon - A Moment of Innocence (1996, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Iran) *rewatch

2. Salaam Cinema - Hello Cinema (1995, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Iran) *rewatch

3. Kafr kasem - The Massacre of Kafr Kassem (1975, Borhane Alaouié, Syria/Lebanon)

4. Captain Abu Raed (2008, Amin Matalqa, Jordan)

5. Tepenin Ardi (2012, Emin Alper, Turkey)

6. Kis Uykusu - Winter Sleep (2014, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Turkey)

7. Yek Etefagh sadeh - A Simple Event (1974, Sohrab Shahid Saless, Iran)

12. Where Should the Birds Fly (2013, Fida Qishta, Palestine)

13. Al-dajaj - The Chickens (1977, Omar Amiralay, Syria)

14. Zir-e poost-e shahr - Under the Skin of the City (2001, Rakhshan Banietemad, Iran)

15. Urs al-jalil - Wedding in Galilee (1987, Michel Khleifi, Palestine)

16. Ayneh - The Mirror (1997, Jafar Panahi, Iran)

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » August 9th, 2018, 9:46 am

Well I guess I am in this challenge now as by off chance I watched a movie from Israel last night, my first ever triple challenge movie in fact. Pity I didn't really like it.

1. Boreg (2014, Israel) 3/10

flaiky

Post by flaiky » August 9th, 2018, 9:06 pm

1. Children of Heaven (1997, Majid Majidi)
2. Last Men in Aleppo (2017, Feras Fayyad)
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » August 9th, 2018, 10:30 pm

5. Turist Ömer Uzay Yolu'nda (1973 / Hulki Saner / Turkey) FTV 5+/10 {251 checks}
Turkish DelightsShow
1. Ölüm savasçisi (1984 / Cuneyt Arkin, Cetin Inanc / Turkey) FTV 9+/10 {24 checks}
3. Tarkan and the Blood of the Vikings (1971 / Mehmet Aslan / Turkey) 7+/10 {239 checks}

5. Turist Ömer Uzay Yolu'nda (1973 / Hulki Saner / Turkey) FTV 5+/10 {251 checks}

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » August 10th, 2018, 1:36 am

5. Sag-haye velgard / Stray dogs (Iran 04) - triple
Children trying to survive in Afghanistan.

SpoilerShow
5. Sag-haye velgard / Stray dogs (Iran 04) - triple

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 10th, 2018, 6:55 am

1. Mustang (2015)

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 10th, 2018, 5:03 pm

6. Five Broken Cameras (2011, Palestine)

This was a kind of "family movie" style of documentary, paralleling the Israeli-Palestinian conflict with the documentarian's son as he grows up. Talks about the non-violent resistance that the people who live in Gaza employ. Really interesting point of view, and as I'm learning more, not something often seen in the US.
Reminder: NOT the Mid-WestShow
1. Under the Shadow (2016, Iran)
2. My Father and My Son (2005, Turkey)
3. Where Should the Birds Fly (2013, Palestine)
"4. Shorts:
P Like Pelican (1972, Iran, 25m)
The Night It Rained (1967, Iran, 35m)"
5. Salaam Cinema (1995)

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » August 10th, 2018, 11:24 pm

6. Seytan-i racim (2013 / Arkin Aktac / Turkey) FTV 6/10 {11 checks}
7. Ammar (2014 / Ozgur Baker / Turkey) FTV 6/10 {10 checks}

Turkish DelightsShow

6. Seytan-i racim (2013 / Arkin Aktac / Turkey) FTV 6/10 {11 checks}
7. Ammar (2014 / Ozgur Baker / Turkey) FTV 6/10 {10 checks}

flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 » August 11th, 2018, 2:14 am

2. Ushpizin (2004, Israel)
3. Le grand voyage (2004, Turkey)
SpoilerShow
1. Baskin (2015, Turkey)
2. Ushpizin (2004, Israel)
3. Le grand voyage (2004, Turkey)

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » August 11th, 2018, 2:26 am

7. 'Üç arkadas' / 'Three Friends' / 1958, Memduh Ün / 9/10 / Turkey
8. 'Ard el-nefak' / 'The Land of Hypocrisy' / 1968, Fatin Abdel Wahab / 7/10 / Egypt
9. 'Ta'm e guilass' / 'Taste of Cherry' / 1997, Abbas Kiarostami / 8.5 or 9/10 / Iran / France

'Three Friends' offers a touching and delightful tale from the streets of Istanbul. Human kindness and warm imaginations of grandeur and plenty as the three poor friends of the title help a blind girl. I loved the local urban flavour of unforgiving life along the river, the creation of a fantasy world in the run-down house, and the camaraderie between the central characters. The beauty of the resolution and the joyful embracing of shared experiences also made me smile enthusiastically.

That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » August 11th, 2018, 4:20 am

Middle Eastern PromisesShow
1. A Time for Drunken Horses (2000) Iran
2. Footnote (2011) Israel

3. The Testament (2017) Israel

This is a film about a Holocaust historian who discovers that his survivor mother lied about her identity in his research - a subplot that the film never quite makes the most of. The ethics of dedicating resources to private research barely surfaces and his personal identity crisis always remains in the backdrop. The film also does not capitalise on a key aspect: all the interviewed survivors who he forces to relive their haunting experiences, which again raises ethical questions. Well acted and decently made, but a film with potential for more.
Image Image Image

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » August 11th, 2018, 5:13 am

1. Salaam Cinema
2. Chronicle of Love and Pain
3. Gabbeh
4. Al-mummia
5. Nun va Goldoon

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 11th, 2018, 6:11 am

7. Streets of Jerusalem (2004, Canada/Israel)

Filmed entirely in Israel. This was largely a talking heads documentary about how Jerusalem has changed over a period of 5 years. Ultimately, it was fine and watchable enough, but didn't really break any new ground or delve too deeply into anything.
Reminder: NOT the Mid-WestShow
1. Under the Shadow (2016, Iran)
2. My Father and My Son (2005, Turkey)
3. Where Should the Birds Fly (2013, Palestine)
"4. Shorts:
P Like Pelican (1972, Iran, 25m)
The Night It Rained (1967, Iran, 35m)"
5. Salaam Cinema (1995)
7. Streets of Jerusalem (2004, Canada/Israel)

jdidaco

Post by jdidaco » August 11th, 2018, 10:15 pm

5. Kit Kat (Daoud Abdel Sayed, 1991) 8/10
6. Al-kompars (The Extras, Nabil Maleh, 1993) 8.5/10

SpoilerShow
1. Kharij al-Hayat/Hors la vie (Out of Life, Maroun Bagdadi, 1991) 8/10
2. Al-mohager/L'émigré (The Emigrant, Youssef Chahine, 1994) 9/10
3. Gizli Yüz (The Secret Face, Ömer Kavur, 1991) 8/10
4. Karanlik sular (The Serpent's Tale, Kutlug Ataman, 1994) 8/10