Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Western Challenge May 2018

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Western Challenge May 2018

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » June 2nd, 2018, 10:59 am

Fergenaprido on Jun 2 2018, 03:44:29 AM wrote:As for the discussion, I for one generally post at the end of the challenge... I don't have time to be making minor updates every few days, or even every week. Heck, some months I struggle to get my final update in time. But then, I'm rarely in the running so I suppose it doesn't matter as much.
Same, haha. Guess I'll have to buck up.
That's all, folks!

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 2nd, 2018, 4:17 pm

hurluberlu on Jun 2 2018, 03:45:05 AM wrote:Y’all softies, I say we hang him and we hang the host who hasn’t show up in two weeks.
I guess I can tally up the final scores for everyone if Nathan doesn't show up in the next 24 hours, but I would rather give him a chance to wrap up things himself.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » June 2nd, 2018, 5:56 pm

sol on Jun 1 2018, 09:29:48 PM wrote:I don't have a solution for this, but I agree that it takes away from the fun of the Challenge if one or more participants are playing in stealth mode. And I likewise recall being pretty deflated when Roger kicked me out of the top 5 for the Directed by Women Challenge after allison had already posted the results. I don't think we can declare PUNQ the winner though; as far as I am aware, there is no precedent for or against the way Roger is playing, but maybe we need to set in place some general rules for future rounds, e.g. limiting the number of films one can post in a single update, requiring an indication at the start of a Challenge if you intend to play in stealth, or something like that.

However, as Roger is the only participation playing in such a way, maybe we don't need to complicate things that much. Roger, do you think you would be able to post whatever you have watched for a Challenge either once every 4-5 days or after every 9-10 films? There's no need to post lengthy reviews, screenshots or director info. Or you would need to do is just type the titles of any given movies and the year of release. You could probably even do this during the end credits of a movie if you are really pushed for time.

I don't think you've offended anyone though and I'm sorry if it feels like we are coming down on you like a ton of bricks. :) I think we are all just interested in finding a way for you to participate in the same way as everyone else. More participants in more Challenges can only ever make things more fun. ;)
I don't think that Roger is the only one dumping a lot of titles in at the last minute. It's a fairly standard practice around here. What caused the brouhaha this time is that Roger actually won. The victory goes to Roger - no questions from me - and I don't think he did anything underhanded since there's nothing about this in the rules. Congrats Roger (you sneaky bastard! :lol: )

I would not like to see a limit on the number of titles that someone can post at one time - I don't have internet at home and I post at work. That means that I frequently post 2 1/2 days worth of viewings on Tuesdays and since those have been my days off it's frequently a big post. I often alert others to this but only if I am a real menace to the leaders. As a courtesy to others I try and update my posts daily on the days I am able to.

I suggest that everyone try to post at least once a week. It's part of participating in the challenge, even if you are not trying to "win." As a participant, it's fun for me to see what everyone else is watching - and get some new titles for my own watchlist.

72allinncallme
Donator

Post by 72allinncallme » June 2nd, 2018, 6:00 pm

My two cents: When you have time to watch over eighty movies in a month, you have time to take two minutes a couple times a week to post your viewings here :)

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » June 2nd, 2018, 6:18 pm

psychotronicbeatnik on Jun 2 2018, 11:56:39 AM wrote:I suggest that everyone try to post at least once a week. It's part of participating in the challenge, even if you are not trying to "win." As a participant, it's fun for me to see what everyone else is watching - and get some new titles for my own watchlist.
Thanks, 'beatnik. May was probably the most all-in I've gone in a challenge since the Black and White Challenge on the old Horror Board a year or more ago. Positively consumed me and made my month special and memorable.

I like this suggestion from you and shall endeavour to adhere to it.

:cheers:
That's all, folks!

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » June 2nd, 2018, 6:53 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Jun 2 2018, 12:18:03 PM wrote:
psychotronicbeatnik on Jun 2 2018, 11:56:39 AM wrote:I suggest that everyone try to post at least once a week. It's part of participating in the challenge, even if you are not trying to "win." As a participant, it's fun for me to see what everyone else is watching - and get some new titles for my own watchlist.
Thanks, 'beatnik. May was probably the most all-in I've gone in a challenge since the Black and White Challenge on the old Horror Board a year or more ago. Positively consumed me and made my month special and memorable.

I like this suggestion from you and shall endeavour to adhere to it.

Congrats Roger! I'm glad you had a great month of westerns - one of my favorite genres. I've stopped posting on the Horror Board and Trash Epics but we had some fun challenges there last year at both of them.

Simba63
Donator

Post by Simba63 » June 2nd, 2018, 7:39 pm

After reading through the board posts, I liken this (Dropping 80+ watches out of the blue) to sniping a bid on eBay at the last second... I don't like it, but there is nothing in the rules that says you can't do it. However, I will say that if this becomes the standard on these challenges, I will not enjoy them for very long. I feel like challenge runners should address this. Perhaps:

1. Declare you intentions to participate in challenge
2. At least post watches every few days or weekly on this board

:whistling:

PUNQ

Post by PUNQ » June 3rd, 2018, 7:44 am

And psychotronicbeatnik touches on Roger's biggest crime of not sharing what he's seen along the way, robbing us of the joy of seeing what he (and others) are choosing to watch for the challenge. For that's what's the most fun about these competitions. Seeing the progress and picks of the other participants, especially if they give some kind of impression of the films. Often there are films you've seen and you get to compare their feelings about the experience with yours, plus the countless of recommendations that comes along the way. And that's what I find most memorable about clicking in on these threads.
- The Western Challenge 2016 & 2017, Asian Challenge 2016 GOLD medallist!
- The ICM First-Check Master!
- Member of ICM's 25,000 Checks Club!
- The guy with the most reviews on Letterboxd!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 3rd, 2018, 8:35 pm

Can we get updated standings? :unsure:

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » June 3rd, 2018, 8:45 pm

waal, pard, I reckon yer itchin' to round up the stats for the May challenges....
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » June 3rd, 2018, 8:59 pm

3eyes on Jun 3 2018, 02:45:30 PM wrote:waal, pard, I reckon yer itchin' to round up the stats for the May challenges....
Who - me? :whistling:

:guns: :cowboy: :shoot:

sol
Donator

Post by sol » June 4th, 2018, 3:55 am

maxwelldeux on Jun 3 2018, 02:35:43 PM wrote:Can we get updated standings? :unsure:
If such a situation arises again, can you please remind me that I should just agree to host two Challenges in a single month? With all the updates that I have provided along the way, I kind of feel like I have hosted this Challenge from a distance as it is.

And I don't mean to disparage you if you are reading this, Nathan. It is not your fault if real life gets in the way of your ability to host. Happens to us all. I should have just had the gall to put up my hand to host both Challenges in the first place.

Quickly added everything up. Please let me know if there any errors.

RogerTheMovieManiac88 - 85
PUNQ- 71
Simba63- 62
sol- 38
pschotronicbeatnik- 36
maxwelldeux- 29
OldAle1- 27
jeroeno - 25
jdidaco- 24
frbrown- 21
allisoncm- 18
klaus78- 18
3eyes- 17
72allinncallme- 12
flavo5000 - 12
Hippiemans- 12
Mate_cosido- 12
hurluberlu- 11
weirdboy- 10
Knaldskalle- 9
cinephage- 8
Fergenaprido - 4
jvv- 4
blocho- 3
Nathan Treadway - 2
tommy_leazaq - 2
VincentPrice- 2
morrison-dylan-fan - 1
sebby - 1
Tarris1- 1
vortexsurfer- 1
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » June 4th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Thanks, guys! I've been busy, so, sorry! (Thanks, sol for the assist!) I ended up taking another job shortly after agreeing to host this challenge, so, my movie viewing has been way down this past month as well..

This will be the last challenge I host for a while, so don't worry. ;) I'm updating the original post as well.
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » June 4th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Ah, there's no real hurry (as far as I'm concerned anyway). Thanks for hosting, Nathan! Thanks to sol as well for his updates.
That's all, folks!

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » June 6th, 2018, 9:59 am

1. Faccia a faccia
2. High Plains Drifter
3. Man of the West
4. The Tall T