Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Films Directed by Women Challenge (March 2018)

Post Reply
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3142
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Films Directed by Women Challenge (March 2018)

#321

Post by Fergenaprido » April 1st, 2018, 2:41 pm

11. What a Girl Wants (2003) dir. Dennie Gordon - 5.8
12. Zakoldovannyy malchik [The Enchanted Boy] (1955) dir. Vladimir Polkovnikov & Aleksandra Snezhko-Blotskaya - 7.4 - also animation & Russian challenges
13. The Watermelon Woman (1996) dir. Cheryl Dunye - 7.0
14. Loyalties (1987) dir. Anne Wheeler - 7.6
15. An Angel at My Table (1990) dir. Jane Campion - 7.6
16. Sita Sings the Blues (2008) dir. Nina Paley - 8.2 - also animation challenge
17. Brødre [Brothers] (2004) dir. Susanne Bier - 8.4
18. Astenicheskiy sindrom [The Asthenic Syndrom] (1989/1990) dir. Kira Muratova - 5.6 - also Russian challenge
19. Somewhere (2010) dir. Sofia Coppola - 7.2
20. Zero Dark Thirty (2012) dir. Kathryn Bigelow - 8.0
21. Pasqualino Settebellezze [Seven Beauties] (1975) dir. Lina Wertmüller - 7.4

Agreed with sol and psycho - Sita Sings the Blues was a great, weird, ride. I'd been putting it off for a while, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and even though I kind of knew what it was about it still ended up being completely unexpected, especially the narrators.
Really great month for me on this challenge, considering I usually average only 1-2 films per month by a female director.
I also managed to watch one film from each of the 5 women nominated for Best Director at the Oscars, including the two remaining films I had yet to see.
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
1. Lady Bird (2017) dir. Greta Gerwig - 8.4
2. The Prince of Egypt (1998) dir. Brenda Chapman and others - 7.0 - also animation challenge
3. Desert Hearts (1985) dir. Donna Deitch - 7.8
4. Kissed (1996) dir. Lynne Stopkewich - 6.2
5. Arthur Christmas (2011) dir. Sarah Smith - 6.8 - also animation challenge
6. Pitch Perfect 2 (2017) dir. Trish Sie - 6.6
7. Les plages d'Agnès [The Beaches of Agnes] (2008) dir. Agnès Varda - 7.6
8. Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts (2017) dir. Mouly Surya - 7.6
9. A Wrinkle in Time (2018) dir. Ava DuVernay - 6.6
10. Go Fish (1994) dir. Rose Troche - 6.6
Does anyone know which official list has the highest percentage of films directed by women? The first two that came to mind were the Canadian and Queer lists:
Top 100 Canadian Films - 23/134 = 17% of films directed by women
BFI Flare's Best LGBT Films of All Time - 26/105 = 25% of films directed by women
Last edited by Fergenaprido on April 1st, 2018, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6331
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#322

Post by maxwelldeux » April 1st, 2018, 3:41 pm

Fergenaprido on Apr 1 2018, 08:41:39 AM wrote:Does anyone know which official list has the highest percentage of films directed by women? The first two that came to mind were the Canadian and Queer lists:
Top 100 Canadian Films - 23/134 = 17% of films directed by women
BFI Flare's Best LGBT Films of All Time - 26/105 = 25% of films directed by women
I don't. The first that came to my mind was the 100 Documentary Films list, but that one's only 16/118 directed by women. I think you're going to be hard-pressed to beat the LGBT list.

allisoncm
Posts: 16070
Joined: May 11, 2011
Contact:

#323

Post by allisoncm » April 1st, 2018, 4:09 pm

Congratulations to everyone for participating and our winner, psychotronicbeatnik.

Over the past several years, we'd get about 3-4 pages of participation. This year, we have 9 pages in the thread. psychotronicbeatnik also might be the first person to break 100 for this challenge. :thumbsup:

Participants | # of films
1. psychotronicbeatnik 119
2. jdidaco 90
3. jeroeno 50
4. sebby 45
5. RogerTheMovieManiac88 44
5. 72allinncallme 43
6. sol 40
7. Mate_cosido 33
8. vortexsurfer 31
9. Straka 29
10. hurluberlu 28
maxwelldeux 26
Ivan0716 24
OldAle1 21
allisoncm 21
Fergenaprido 21
weirdboy 18
nimimerkillinen 12
3eyes 11
Gorro 10
clemmetarey 10
Lilarcor 10
flaiky 9
flavo5000 8
45MinuteZoom 7
cinephage 6
RBG 6
Simba63 6
India Istanbul 4
VincentPrice 3
ororama 3
funkybusiness 3
lynchs 2.5
jvv 2
blocho 2
brokenface 2
VincentPrice 1
globetrotter 1
Knaldskalle 1
fear of 13 1
Last edited by allisoncm on April 2nd, 2018, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

allisoncm
Posts: 16070
Joined: May 11, 2011
Contact:

#324

Post by allisoncm » April 1st, 2018, 4:10 pm

BTW, please let me know if your final # was different than what I posted and I'll updated it.

User avatar
72allinncallme
Donator
Posts: 2393
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#325

Post by 72allinncallme » April 1st, 2018, 4:23 pm

My score is accurate, but please put me above sol on the placings :party:

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6145
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#326

Post by sol » April 1st, 2018, 4:24 pm

72allinncallme on Apr 1 2018, 10:23:17 AM wrote:My score is accurate, but please put me above sol on the placings :party:
Nah, it's okay as it is. :P
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

allisoncm
Posts: 16070
Joined: May 11, 2011
Contact:

#327

Post by allisoncm » April 1st, 2018, 4:33 pm

LOL, I see it now. Will fix. Sorry sol.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6145
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#328

Post by sol » April 1st, 2018, 4:35 pm

allisoncm on Apr 1 2018, 10:33:01 AM wrote:LOL, I see it now. Will fix. Sorry sol.
Dammit. I knew there was no way of beating 72a this month. <_< :lol: I'm glad I came close though. And I'm happy that I saw twice as many films as last year, even if I only got halfway (!) through the films that I had lined up to watch in March...
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

allisoncm
Posts: 16070
Joined: May 11, 2011
Contact:

#329

Post by allisoncm » April 1st, 2018, 4:36 pm

sol on Apr 1 2018, 10:35:08 AM wrote:
allisoncm on Apr 1 2018, 10:33:01 AM wrote:LOL, I see it now. Will fix. Sorry sol.
Dammit. I knew there was no way of beating 72a this month. <_< :lol: I'm glad I came close though. And I'm happy that I saw twice as many films as last year, even if I only got halfway (!) through the films that I had lined up to watch in March...
I didn't have a lot of time to plan/watch for this challenge, so I feel your pain. I'm just happy with what I accomplished and you watched a ton more than me, so...

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6331
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#330

Post by maxwelldeux » April 1st, 2018, 4:55 pm

This was kind of a frustrating challenge, simply because of the lack of ability to easily search for qualifying films. I mean, yes, the list of all official checks that are directed by women was great - and I used it quite a bit this month. But if I'm sitting there drinking beer and browsing Netflix, it's not like I can go to the Directed by Women genre and browse what they have. Weirdly, I think this is one of the reasons I did better in the Animation challenge than I expected.

allisoncm
Posts: 16070
Joined: May 11, 2011
Contact:

#331

Post by allisoncm » April 1st, 2018, 5:07 pm

Maybe I'll appeal to Netflix to make that an option so next year it will be easier for some people.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6331
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#332

Post by maxwelldeux » April 1st, 2018, 5:18 pm

allisoncm on Apr 1 2018, 11:07:55 AM wrote:Maybe I'll appeal to Netflix to make that an option so next year it will be easier for some people.
With all those weird "secret" genres Netflix has, I was surprised I couldn't find one for Directed by Women. HBO had a collection for films directed by women, but it was only 13 films.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 3501
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#333

Post by OldAle1 » April 1st, 2018, 5:25 pm

maxwelldeux on Apr 1 2018, 10:55:36 AM wrote:This was kind of a frustrating challenge, simply because of the lack of ability to easily search for qualifying films. I mean, yes, the list of all official checks that are directed by women was great - and I used it quite a bit this month. But if I'm sitting there drinking beer and browsing Netflix, it's not like I can go to the Directed by Women genre and browse what they have. Weirdly, I think this is one of the reasons I did better in the Animation challenge than I expected.
This is why I keep my own lists, a process that admittedly began long before this site or other list-sites (remember ListsofBests?). I don't actually have a female directors list, but I do indicate on the various lists (genres, countries, and more personally-specific subjects like Chicago) whether the director is a woman, so it's fairly easy for me to pick out the stuff I already have or can get easily. Narrowing down the hundreds of choices is the hard part.
Here's to the fools who dream.

ororama
Posts: 1514
Joined: Jun 19, 2011
Contact:

#334

Post by ororama » April 1st, 2018, 7:26 pm

Shrek in the Swamp Karaoke Dance Party (2001) 3 min.
A Night on Bald Mountain (1933) * 8 min.
The Bricklayers (1905) * 2 min.
La Statue (1905) * 5 min.
The Magician's Alms (1905) * 3 min.
Ground Floor (2014) * 3 min.

Spoiler: click to toggleShow
1. Children of a Lesser God (1986, Randa Haines) * 119 min.
2. Mustang (2015, Deniz Gamze Ergüven) * 97 min.
3. Shrek (2001, Andrew Adamson, Vicky Jenson ) 90 min.
4. A Wrinkle in Time (2018, Ava DuVernay) * 109 min.

*First time viewing.

I didn't manage to watch enough shorts directed by women to make a full entry. I have had a persistent cold or something, and felt too tired to watch much for the last week and a half.

My total score was four-my fault, I didn't check the credits for Shrek (and Shrek in the Swamp Karaoke Dance Party) until quite a while after re-watch, and then updated my previous post.

User avatar
72allinncallme
Donator
Posts: 2393
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#335

Post by 72allinncallme » April 2nd, 2018, 12:24 am

allisoncm on Apr 1 2018, 10:33:01 AM wrote:LOL, I see it now. Will fix. Sorry sol.
How mutch did he pay you? :whistling:

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1227
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#336

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » April 2nd, 2018, 3:21 am

Hi there. A somewhat late contribution on my part, partly due to being away over the Easter weekend. I see that you have already compiled points totals so I'm sorry for my tardiness!

I had a really fun and rewarding March, filled with new discoveries and several rewatches. Hope it's alright with you if I detail my viewings by way of an IMDb list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls023995052/. I watched 40 features and 254 minutes of shorts for a final score of 44 points.

Sharing the poster for Séverine de Streyker and Maxime Feyers' intimate, visually intoxicating, and tentatively humanistic 'Calamity'. A harshness of early judgement with developments of acceptance and unconditional love as a son and his trans girlfriend are unexpectedly introduced to the former's family. Touching and very real with memorable performances across the board.

Image

Thanks for hosting, Allison. I enjoyed my March a great deal!

:cheers:
That's all, folks!

allisoncm
Posts: 16070
Joined: May 11, 2011
Contact:

#337

Post by allisoncm » April 2nd, 2018, 5:17 am

I'll update the list, Roger.

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1227
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#338

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » April 2nd, 2018, 5:20 am

allisoncm on Apr 1 2018, 11:17:12 PM wrote:I'll update the list, Roger.
Cheers. Apologies again.
That's all, folks!

allisoncm
Posts: 16070
Joined: May 11, 2011
Contact:

#339

Post by allisoncm » April 2nd, 2018, 6:25 am

No problem. Thanks for your help in compiling the ideas at the beginning of the challenge.

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1227
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#340

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » April 2nd, 2018, 6:54 am

allisoncm on Apr 2 2018, 12:25:57 AM wrote:No problem. Thanks for your help in compiling the ideas at the beginning of the challenge.
Glad if those suggestions were of help to anyone. I noticed that 'beatnik was positively ploughing through the films of the Brumbergs (I didn't suggest them).

BTW, my late arrival on the scene means that the numbering for the top 10 is a little off. Apologies to those I have shunted down!
That's all, folks!

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6331
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#341

Post by maxwelldeux » April 3rd, 2018, 3:51 am

So this is the fourth official Films Directed by Women challenge, run for the fourth consecutive year in March, and hosted for the fourth time by allisoncm. So without further ado, here's the leaderboard for official Films Directed by Women challenges:

Official Films Directed by Women Challenges Leaderboard
RankParticipantTotal Score# Challenges Competed InTotal Number of Films Watched for Official ChallengesAverage Rank in ChallengesNumber of Challenge Wins
1 allisoncm 71 4 109 5.50 0
2 jdidaco 61 2 140 2.00 0
3 RogerTheMovieManiac88 57 2 82 4.00 0
4 Fergenaprido 51.5 4 44 9.75 0
5 vortexsurfer 47.5 2 40 8.50 0
6 sol 47 2 48 8.50 0
7 psychotronicbeatnik 43.5 2 121 9.50 1
8 jeroeno 38 1 50 3.00 0
9 Sebby 37 1 45 4.00 0
10 Lilarcor 36.5 3 21 13.67 0
11 72allinncallme 35 1 43 6.00 0
11 3eyes 35 4 26 13.75 0
13 Mate_cosido 33 1 33 8.00 0
14 Straka 31 1 29 10.00 0
15 hurluberlu 30 1 28 11.00 0
16 maxwelldeux 29 1 26 12.00 0
17 Ivan0716 28 1 24 13.00 0
18 jvv 27.5 4 22 16.00 0
19 nimimerkillinen 26.5 2 14 18.00 0
20 OldAle1 26 1 21 14.00 0
21 Perception de Ambiguity 25 2 60 2.00 1
22 HVM 24.5 2 26 7.00 0
23 weirdboy 24 1 18 17.00 0
24 cinephage 23.5 4 19 16.75 0
25 albajos 23 1 70 1.00 1
26 ororama 22.5 3 11 18.33 0
27 clemmetarey 20 1 10 20.00 0
27 Gorro 20 1 10 20.00 0
29 Eve-Lang-El-Coup 19 1 18 5.00 0
30 flaiky 18 1 9 23.00 0
31 flavo5000 17 1 8 24.00 0
31 Nathan_Treadway 17 2 13 10.50 0
31 fori 17 1 15 7.00 0
34 45MinuteZoom 16 1 7 25.00 0
35 Samar 15.5 1 9 8.00 0
36 Simba63 14 1 6 26.00 0
36 RBG 14 1 6 26.00 0
38 beavis 13 1 32 1.00 1
38 wowwee123 13 1 8 10.00 0
40 VincentPrice 12.5 2 4 33.50 0
41 India Istanbul 12 1 4 29.00 0
41 lisa- 12 1 26 3.00 0
43 RollingWonder 11 1 22 4.00 0
43 connordenney 11 2 10 12.00 0
45 tarr 10 1 11 4.00 0
45 funkybusiness 10 1 3 30.00 0
47 tourdesb 9.5 1 5 14.00 0
47 ChrisReynolds 9.5 1 12 5.00 0
49 brokenface 8.5 2 4 23.00 0
50 perceval 8 1 11 7.00 0
51 blocho 6.5 1 2 33.00 0
51 lynchs 6.5 1 2 33.00 0
53 Melvelet 4.5 2 3 16.00 0
54 sheikofhyrule 3 1 3 10.00 0
54 Tomelce 3 1 3 12.00 0
56 fear of 13 2.5 1 1 37.00 0
56 Knaldskalle 2.5 1 1 37.00 0
56 globetrotter 2.5 1 1 37.00 0

allisoncm
Posts: 16070
Joined: May 11, 2011
Contact:

#342

Post by allisoncm » April 3rd, 2018, 5:37 am

Thanks for the stats, maxwelldeux.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6331
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#343

Post by maxwelldeux » April 3rd, 2018, 5:49 am

allisoncm on Apr 2 2018, 11:37:14 PM wrote:Thanks for the stats, maxwelldeux.
:thumbsup:

And thanks for hosting! And congrats on 1st place!

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator
Posts: 1386
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Oregon
Contact:

#344

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » April 3rd, 2018, 6:25 pm

allisoncm on Apr 1 2018, 10:09:58 AM wrote:Congratulations to everyone for participating and our winner, psychotronicbeatnik.

Over the past several years, we'd get about 3-4 pages of participation. This year, we have 9 pages in the thread. psychotronicbeatnik also might be the first person to break 100 for this challenge. :thumbsup:

Participants | # of films
1. psychotronicbeatnik 119
2. jdidaco 90
3. jeroeno 50
4. sebby 45
5. RogerTheMovieManiac88 44
5. 72allinncallme 43
6. sol 40
7. Mate_cosido 33
8. vortexsurfer 31
9. Straka 29
10. hurluberlu 28
maxwelldeux 26
Ivan0716 24
OldAle1 21
allisoncm 21
Fergenaprido 21
weirdboy 18
nimimerkillinen 12
3eyes 11
Gorro 10
clemmetarey 10
Lilarcor 10
flaiky 9
flavo5000 8
45MinuteZoom 7
cinephage 6
RBG 6
Simba63 6
India Istanbul 4
VincentPrice 3
ororama 3
funkybusiness 3
lynchs 2.5
jvv 2
blocho 2
brokenface 2
VincentPrice 1
globetrotter 1
Knaldskalle 1
fear of 13 1
...and even breaking 100 I didn't get everything watched that I had planned. I'm glad I did so well with this challenge this year as I felt like I neglected it last year when I was feverishly competing in the Cult Challenge opposite it and on another challenge at another site. I discovered a lot of new women directors that may end up among my favorites and had a great time watching.

Thanks again for hosting - I'll be back next year!

:cheers:

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator
Posts: 1386
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Oregon
Contact:

#345

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » April 3rd, 2018, 10:02 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 on Apr 2 2018, 12:54:50 AM wrote:
allisoncm on Apr 2 2018, 12:25:57 AM wrote:No problem. Thanks for your help in compiling the ideas at the beginning of the challenge.
Glad if those suggestions were of help to anyone. I noticed that 'beatnik was positively ploughing through the films of the Brumbergs (I didn't suggest them).

BTW, my late arrival on the scene means that the numbering for the top 10 is a little off. Apologies to those I have shunted down!
Plowing through the Brumbergs is a good way to put it although there were a few gems - particularly with their Seventies films. I did make use of the list that you provided and I thank you for it. In fact it motivated me to get as many triples as possible for the three challenges this month.

:cheers:

Post Reply