Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Conquer the World Challenge

Post Reply
User avatar
sortile9io
Posts: 2769
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
Contact:

Conquer the World Challenge

#1

Post by sortile9io » November 28th, 2017, 11:36 pm

Image

Welcome to the official Conquer the World Challenge! We'll say goodbye to 2017 watching films from all over the world.

General rules
- The challenge runs from December 1st to December 31st 2017 (use your local time).
- Films can be on any official/unofficial list or none at all.
- Rewatches are allowed.
- Only one film from each country and only one country from each film.
- When posting the films you've watched add the name of the country to the title, director (optional) and year. For example: The last wave (Weir, 1977, Australia).

Scoring rules
- A feature film (anything over 45 minutes) counts as one entry.
- A total of 60 minutes of short films from the same country (anything up to 45 minutes) count as one entry.
- The same runtime rules apply for mini-series episodes.

Reference
- The definition of "country" depends on political and legal issues that change over time so it can be blurry sometimes. For practical purposes I'll refer to the IMDb list of countries. In case of doubt just ask and I'll send a request to our representative to the UN.
- In the case of co-productions you can follow these rules of thumb to decide which is the relevant country.
- If you are short on ideas for the less prominent countries, you can take a look at the previous edition of this challenge in 2012 or its ongoing version.
- You may also need a map, just in case you get lost:
Big map of the worldShow
Image
Participants and final scores
1. Mario Gaborović (113)
2. hurluberlu (108)
3. weirdboy (72)
4. sortile9io (60)
5. Mate_cosido (45)
6. sacmersault (36)
7. sol (34)
8. RogerTheMovieManiac88 (32)
9. Fergenaprido (28)
10. Simba63 (27)
11. 72allinncallme (26)
12. ChrisReynolds (24)
--. ororama (24)
--. psychotronicbeatnik (24)
--. tarr (24)
16. albajos (22)
17. sebby (18)
18. 3eyes (16)
--. Knaldskalle (16)
20. Gorro (14)
--. maxwelldeux (14)
22. nimimerkillinen (13)
23. cinephage (12)
24. jvv (11)
--. tommy_leazaq (11)
26. blocho (8)
27. connordenney (6)
--. frbrown (6)
29. mathiasa (5)
--. vortexsurfer (5)
31. VincentPrice (4)
32. Daviddoes (1)

Total checks: 859
Average: 26.8

Conquered countries (194)
Afghanistan - Albania - Algeria - American Samoa - Andorra - Angola - Argentina - Armenia - Aruba - Australia - Austria - Azerbaijan - Bahamas - Bahrain - Bangladesh - Barbados - Belarus - Belgium - Bermuda - Bhutan - Bolivia - Bosnia and Herzegovina - Botswana - Brazil - Bulgaria - Burkina Faso - Burundi - Cambodia - Cameroon - Canada - Cape Verde - Cayman Islands - Chad - Chile - China - Colombia - Congo - Costa Rica - Croatia - Cuba - Cyprus - Czech Republic - Czechoslovakia - Côte d'Ivoire - Democratic Republic of the Congo - Denmark - Dominican Republic - East Germany - Ecuador - Egypt - El Salvador - Equatorial Guinea - Eritrea - Estonia - Ethiopia - Federal Republic of Yugoslavia - Finland - France - Gabon - Georgia - Germany - Ghana - Gold Coast - Greece - Greenland - Guam - Guatemala - Guinea - Guinea-Bissau - Guyana - Haiti - Honduras - Hong Kong - Hungary - Iceland - India - Indonesia - Iran - Iraq - Ireland - Isle of Man - Israel - Italy - Jamaica - Japan - Jordan - Kazakhstan - Kenya - Korea - Kosovo - Kuwait - Kyrgyzstan - Latvia - Lebanon - Liberia - Libya - Liechtenstein - Lithuania - Luxembourg - Macao - Madagascar - Malawi - Malaysia - Maldives - Mali - Malta - Marshall Islands - Martinique - Mauritania - Mauritius - Mexico - Moldova - Monaco - Mongolia - Montenegro - Morocco - Mozambique - Myanmar - Nepal - Netherlands - New Zealand - Nicaragua - Niger - Nigeria - North Korea - North Vietnam - Norway - Oman - Pakistan - Palestine - Panama - Papua New Guinea - Paraguay - Peru - Philippines - Poland - Portugal - Puerto Rico - Qatar - Republic of Macedonia - Romania - Russia - Rwanda - Samoa - San Marino - Saudi Arabia - Senegal - Serbia - Serbia and Montenegro - Sierra Leone - Singapore - Slovakia - Slovenia - Solomon Islands - Somalia - South Africa - South Korea - Soviet Union - Spain - Sri Lanka - Sudan - Suriname - Swaziland - Sweden - Switzerland - Syria - Taiwan - Tajikistan - Tanzania - Thailand - Timor-Leste - Togo - Trinidad and Tobago - Tunisia - Turkey - Turkmenistan - U.S. Virgin Islands - Uganda - Ukraine - United Arab Emirates - United Kingdom - United States of America - Uruguay - Uzbekistan - Vanuatu - Venezuela - Vietnam - West Germany - Western Sahara - Yemen - Yugoslavia - Zaire - Zambia - Zimbabwe

Unconquered countries (27)
Antarctica - Antigua and Barbuda - Belize - Benin - Brunei Darussalam - Central African Republic - Comoros - Cook Islands - Djibouti - Dominica - Faroe Islands - Fiji - Gambia - Gibraltar - Grenada - Laos - Lesotho - Montserrat - Namibia - Netherlands Antilles - New Caledonia - Saint Helena - Saint Kitts and Nevis - Saint Lucia - Saint Vincent and the Grenadines - Sao Tome and Principe - Tonga

Countries with nothing or too little to conquer (28)
Anguilla - Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba - Bouvet Island - British Indian Ocean Territory - British Virgin Islands - Christmas Island - Cocos (Keeling) Islands - Falkland Islands - Federated States of Micronesia - Guernsey - Heard Island and McDonald Islands - Holy See (Vatican City State) - Jersey - Kiribati - Nauru - Niue - Norfolk Island - Northern Mariana Islands - Palau - Pitcairn - Seychelles - South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands - Svalbard and Jan Mayen - Tokelau - Turks and Caicos Islands - Tuvalu - United States Minor Outlying Islands - Åland Islands
Last edited by sortile9io on January 4th, 2018, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
72allinncallme
Donator
Posts: 2392
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#2

Post by 72allinncallme » November 28th, 2017, 11:47 pm

I’ll do some traveling. Thank’s for hosting sortile9io.

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5654
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#3

Post by albajos » November 28th, 2017, 11:49 pm

Image
visited 11 states (4.88%)

Doesn't look like I can embed maps in the forum, but I'll link to a map like this so it's easy to follow the progress
(this is where I've physically been, I'll create a new one for the challenge)

https://douweosinga.com/project/visited
Last edited by albajos on December 2nd, 2017, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8165
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#4

Post by jvv » November 29th, 2017, 12:15 am

I'm in. B)

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6327
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#5

Post by maxwelldeux » November 29th, 2017, 12:16 am

I'm down - my traveling will be primarily driven by documentaries, but I'm sure I'll rustle up a few extra countries, here and there.

PS: I'd post a leaderboard for you, but this challenge was run once in 2012, so it's really just the stats from that challenge...

blocho
Donator
Posts: 1799
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#6

Post by blocho » November 29th, 2017, 6:13 am

This is separate, I assume, from the longtime, ongoing unofficial conquer the world challenge? But I also assume movies could qualify for both? If so, it might be time I finally settled down to watch that Surinamese feature I have squirreled away.

User avatar
sortile9io
Posts: 2769
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
Contact:

#7

Post by sortile9io » November 29th, 2017, 10:57 am

albajos on Nov 28 2017, 04:49:58 PM wrote:Doesn't look like I can embed maps in the forum, but I'll link to a map like this so it's easy to follow the progress
(this is where I've physically been, I'll create a new one for the challenge)

https://douweosinga.com/project/visited
Good idea. But when you post a kilometric link like the one above do it inside the url tag, please, otherwise it breaks the page layout. I will be using amCharts for my own record: the map is bigger and you can choose your favourite colours and projection.
maxwelldeux on Nov 28 2017, 05:16:19 PM wrote:I'm down - my traveling will be primarily driven by documentaries, but I'm sure I'll rustle up a few extra countries, here and there.

PS: I'd post a leaderboard for you, but this challenge was run once in 2012, so it's really just the stats from that challenge...
Thanks for the offer anyway. It's a bit weird that this challenge has run only once before given the keenness in this forum to discover exotic non-mainstream gems. I wonder if using the word travel instead of conquer would make any difference.
blocho on Nov 28 2017, 11:13:12 PM wrote:This is separate, I assume, from the longtime, ongoing unofficial conquer the world challenge? But I also assume movies could qualify for both? If so, it might be time I finally settled down to watch that Surinamese feature I have squirreled away.
Yes, they are separate challenges but your watches can qualify for both as long as they meet the rules in both.
Last edited by sortile9io on December 2nd, 2017, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3107
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#8

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 29th, 2017, 12:41 pm

I'm in, too.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on November 29th, 2017, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5654
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#9

Post by albajos » November 29th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Mario Gaborović on Nov 29 2017, 05:41:57 AM wrote:I'm in, too.
December?

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3107
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#10

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 29th, 2017, 1:04 pm

albajos on Nov 29 2017, 06:02:44 AM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on Nov 29 2017, 05:41:57 AM wrote:I'm in, too.
December?
Alright, I'm erasing it now.

User avatar
sortile9io
Posts: 2769
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
Contact:

#11

Post by sortile9io » November 29th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Mario Gaborović on Nov 29 2017, 05:41:57 AM wrote:1. Image Ihmiset suviyössä (Valentin Vaala, 1948) - 6/10
That's a precocious watch you've lost because the challenge hasn't started yet. I don't know why I bother writing rules that people don't read.

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3107
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#12

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 29th, 2017, 1:13 pm

sortile9io on Nov 29 2017, 06:05:04 AM wrote:That's a precocious watch you've lost because the challenge hasn't started yet. I don't know why I bother writing rules that people don't read.
I never ever read any intros, sorry for that. Maybe others do, though.

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9506
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#13

Post by Knaldskalle » November 29th, 2017, 5:55 pm

I'm in. Time to reboot my World Conquest, it's been far too long since I got anything done about it. I may revisit some countries just for this challenge, though.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
ChrisReynolds
Donator
Posts: 2403
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Location: London, UK
Contact:

#14

Post by ChrisReynolds » November 29th, 2017, 7:43 pm

I will be participating in this challenge

User avatar
nimimerkillinen
Posts: 2112
Joined: Dec 30, 2011
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Contact:

#15

Post by nimimerkillinen » November 30th, 2017, 1:52 pm

in and aiming for 20+

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6660
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#16

Post by 3eyes » November 30th, 2017, 8:32 pm

In.

What about former countries such as Yugoslavia, USSR, North Vietnam, E Germany, etc? A film in Uzbek made during the Soviet period vis one made in independent Uzbekistan -- ?
Last edited by 3eyes on November 30th, 2017, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3107
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#17

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 30th, 2017, 8:56 pm

3eyes on Nov 30 2017, 01:32:35 PM wrote:In.

What about former countries such as Yugoslavia, USSR, North Vietnam, E Germany, etc? A film in Uzbek made during the Soviet period vis one made in independent Uzbekistan -- ?
All those countries made better films in the past, so it's in our interest to use time purposefully.

Just like in the World Cup, I'll allocate Soviet films to adequate republic.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on November 30th, 2017, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6327
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#18

Post by maxwelldeux » November 30th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Mario Gaborović on Nov 30 2017, 01:56:52 PM wrote:
3eyes on Nov 30 2017, 01:32:35 PM wrote:In.

What about former countries such as Yugoslavia, USSR, North Vietnam, E Germany, etc? A film in Uzbek made during the Soviet period vis one made in independent Uzbekistan -- ?
All those countries made better films in the past, so it's in our interest to use time purposefully.

Just like in the World Cup, I'll allocate Soviet films to adequate republic.
And I would argue differently. When I did the Asian challenge, I counted former countries separately from modern countries for stats-tracking purposes. Personally, I'd count Vietnam and North Vietnam separately, using IMDB country listings as guidelines.

But I'm not hosting, and sortile9io might see it differently. Our benevolent host will have to make the call. :thumbsup:

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3107
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#19

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 30th, 2017, 9:27 pm

maxwelldeux on Nov 30 2017, 02:09:18 PM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on Nov 30 2017, 01:56:52 PM wrote:
3eyes on Nov 30 2017, 01:32:35 PM wrote:In.

What about former countries such as Yugoslavia, USSR, North Vietnam, E Germany, etc? A film in Uzbek made during the Soviet period vis one made in independent Uzbekistan -- ?
All those countries made better films in the past, so it's in our interest to use time purposefully.

Just like in the World Cup, I'll allocate Soviet films to adequate republic.
And I would argue differently. When I did the Asian challenge, I counted former countries separately from modern countries for stats-tracking purposes. Personally, I'd count Vietnam and North Vietnam separately, using IMDB country listings as guidelines.

But I'm not hosting, and sortile9io might see it differently. Our benevolent host will have to make the call. :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Let's try to watch as many older films as possible; in this challenge people cover 90% countries with films no older than 15 years.

User avatar
sortile9io
Posts: 2769
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
Contact:

#20

Post by sortile9io » November 30th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Those IMDb country listings are probably historically biased and incomplete. At least that's the impression I get after looking through some maps of Europe in the silent era. But, given that this is only a casual game and our primary source of information is going to be IMDb, we'll use those listings as a guideline. So no need to start claiming watches for the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I'll edit the reference section in the opening post accordingly. Luckily (or not!?), cinema history spans only a little more than a a hundred years.

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3107
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#21

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 30th, 2017, 10:29 pm

sortile9io on Nov 30 2017, 03:14:34 PM wrote:Those IMDb country listings are probably historically biased and incomplete. At least that's the impression I get after looking through some maps of Europe in the silent era. But, given that this is only a casual game and our primary source of information is going to be IMDb, we'll use those listings as a guideline. So no need to start claiming watches for the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I'll edit the reference section in the opening post accordingly. Luckily (or not!?), cinema history spans only a little more than a a hundred years.
I don't get you. Just tell me if Uzbek film from 1968 counts for Uzbekistan.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on November 30th, 2017, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sortile9io
Posts: 2769
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
Contact:

#22

Post by sortile9io » November 30th, 2017, 10:42 pm

Mario Gaborović on Nov 30 2017, 03:29:12 PM wrote:
sortile9io on Nov 30 2017, 03:14:34 PM wrote:Those IMDb country listings are probably historically biased and incomplete. At least that's the impression I get after looking through some maps of Europe in the silent era. But, given that this is only a casual game and our primary source of information is going to be IMDb, we'll use those listings as a guideline. So no need to start claiming watches for the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I'll edit the reference section in the opening post accordingly. Luckily (or not!?), cinema history spans only a little more than a a hundred years.
I don't get you. Just tell me if Uzbek film from 1968 counts for Uzbekistan.
See what IMDb says for that particular film.
Last edited by sortile9io on November 30th, 2017, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3107
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#23

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 30th, 2017, 11:12 pm

sortile9io on Nov 30 2017, 03:42:45 PM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on Nov 30 2017, 03:29:12 PM wrote:
sortile9io on Nov 30 2017, 03:14:34 PM wrote:Those IMDb country listings are probably historically biased and incomplete. At least that's the impression I get after looking through some maps of Europe in the silent era. But, given that this is only a casual game and our primary source of information is going to be IMDb, we'll use those listings as a guideline. So no need to start claiming watches for the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I'll edit the reference section in the opening post accordingly. Luckily (or not!?), cinema history spans only a little more than a a hundred years.
I don't get you. Just tell me if Uzbek film from 1968 counts for Uzbekistan.
See what IMDb says for that particular film.
That means no. :down: Now I'm less enthusiastic about this challenge because of that fact alone.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6327
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#24

Post by maxwelldeux » November 30th, 2017, 11:14 pm

sortile9io on Nov 30 2017, 03:42:45 PM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on Nov 30 2017, 03:29:12 PM wrote:
sortile9io on Nov 30 2017, 03:14:34 PM wrote:Those IMDb country listings are probably historically biased and incomplete. At least that's the impression I get after looking through some maps of Europe in the silent era. But, given that this is only a casual game and our primary source of information is going to be IMDb, we'll use those listings as a guideline. So no need to start claiming watches for the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I'll edit the reference section in the opening post accordingly. Luckily (or not!?), cinema history spans only a little more than a a hundred years.
I don't get you. Just tell me if Uzbek film from 1968 counts for Uzbekistan.
See what IMDb says for that particular film.
Example: Sayat Nova (1969)

This is pretty clearly an Armenian film, but this would count for this challenge for Soviet Union. And it would allow you to get another check for Armenia, as well as one for Russia.

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3107
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#25

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 30th, 2017, 11:26 pm

maxwelldeux on Nov 30 2017, 04:14:55 PM wrote:
sortile9io on Nov 30 2017, 03:42:45 PM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on Nov 30 2017, 03:29:12 PM wrote:I don't get you. Just tell me if Uzbek film from 1968 counts for Uzbekistan.
See what IMDb says for that particular film.
Example: Sayat Nova (1969)

This is pretty clearly an Armenian film, but this would count for this challenge for Soviet Union. And it would allow you to get another check for Armenia, as well as one for Russia.
I prefer to watch 10 Soviet films made in 10 different republics, than 1 from that whole great cinema, and all the rest from periodically and creatively limited cinematographies.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on November 30th, 2017, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3107
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#26

Post by Mario Gaborović » December 1st, 2017, 8:45 am

1. Image Gigante (Adrián Biniez, 2009) - 7.5/10

Very interesting film that successfully combines drama with other genres such as thriller (which tricks you to early conclusions) and comedy later on, with likeable lead, near-perfect pace and unexpected twists. Strongly resembles Short Film About Love, though at the breaking point it doesn't go anxious, but rather optimistic.

Anyway, I humbly ask Torro to consider this film for the World Cup.

User avatar
Mate_cosido
Posts: 672
Joined: Apr 28, 2016
Contact:

#27

Post by Mate_cosido » December 1st, 2017, 5:33 pm

If i understand the rules, a film from the Turkmen SSR counts just for the Soviet Union, is that so?

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3107
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#28

Post by Mario Gaborović » December 1st, 2017, 6:03 pm

Mate_cosido on Dec 1 2017, 10:33:07 AM wrote:If i understand the rules, a film from the Turkmen SSR counts just for the Soviet Union, is that so?
Yes.

2. Image The Passion of the Christ (Mel Gibson, 2004) - 4.5/10
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
1. Image Gigante (Adrián Biniez, 2009) - 7.5/10

User avatar
ChrisReynolds
Donator
Posts: 2403
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Location: London, UK
Contact:

#29

Post by ChrisReynolds » December 1st, 2017, 6:43 pm

1. Tickled (Farrier-Reeve, 2016, New Zealand) Image
"The Tickle Empire went way further than we originally thought..."
One of the most memorable documentaries I've seen for a while. The tickling fetishism is the perfect absurdist counterpoint to a weird tale of a man's obsession and disturbing desire for control, as well as the thrill of seeing some brave investigative journalism in action.
8/10 (when combined with the 20-minute follow-up The Tickle King which provides a coda and closure to the tale)

Image

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6660
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#30

Post by 3eyes » December 1st, 2017, 6:54 pm

More rules confusion - if a total of 60 min of shorts counts as one entry, do they all have to be from the same country? I mean, a 30m Vietnamese short + a 20m Iranian short + a 10m Finnish short only counts as one point? Are we counting countries or minutes?
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

User avatar
Mate_cosido
Posts: 672
Joined: Apr 28, 2016
Contact:

#31

Post by Mate_cosido » December 1st, 2017, 7:25 pm

Mario Gaborović on Dec 1 2017, 11:03:49 AM wrote:
Mate_cosido on Dec 1 2017, 10:33:07 AM wrote:If i understand the rules, a film from the Turkmen SSR counts just for the Soviet Union, is that so?
Yes.
Too bad (u)

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3107
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#32

Post by Mario Gaborović » December 1st, 2017, 7:30 pm

3. Image Lewat Djam Malam (Usmar Ismail, 1954) - 4.5/10
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
1. Image Gigante (Adrián Biniez, 2009) - 7.5/10
2. Image The Passion of the Christ (Mel Gibson, 2004) - 4.5/10
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on December 1st, 2017, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sortile9io
Posts: 2769
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
Contact:

#33

Post by sortile9io » December 1st, 2017, 7:53 pm

3eyes on Dec 1 2017, 11:54:17 AM wrote:More rules confusion - if a total of 60 min of shorts counts as one entry, do they all have to be from the same country? I mean, a 30m Vietnamese short + a 20m Iranian short + a 10m Finnish short only counts as one point? Are we counting countries or minutes?
We're counting countries so they must be from the same country. I will update the rule in the opening post to avoid confusion. Thanks for the remark.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6327
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#34

Post by maxwelldeux » December 1st, 2017, 8:51 pm

Starting off with a super-rare country...

1. The Thin Blue Line (1998, USA)

User avatar
hurluberlu
Donator
Posts: 1300
Joined: Jan 04, 2017
Contact:

#35

Post by hurluberlu » December 2nd, 2017, 12:32 am

1. Lessons of Darkness / Lektionen in Finsternis (Werner Herzog, 1992, Germany) [BOTH] 7/10
2. Rio 2096: A Story of Love and Fury / Uma História de Amor e Fúria (Luiz Bolognesi, Jean Cullen De Moura, 2013, Brazil) 6-/10
3. Hissein Habré, une tragédie tchadienne (Mahamat-Saleh Haroun, 2016, Chad) [BOTH] 8-/10
4. La Gunguna (Ernesto Alemany, 2015, Dominican Republic) 7/10
5. Holy Smoke  (Jane Campion, 1999, Australia) 6+/10

Image
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

Image
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
nimimerkillinen
Posts: 2112
Joined: Dec 30, 2011
Location: Vantaa, Finland
Contact:

#36

Post by nimimerkillinen » December 2nd, 2017, 12:38 am

1. Tuntematon Sotilas (2017) - Finland
Last edited by nimimerkillinen on December 2nd, 2017, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
VincentPrice
Posts: 3872
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Maine
Contact:

#37

Post by VincentPrice » December 2nd, 2017, 3:48 am

Ah, I'm in.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6145
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#38

Post by sol » December 2nd, 2017, 4:33 am

sortile9io on Nov 28 2017, 04:36:02 PM wrote:- Rewatches are allowed
This doesn't really affect me because I was planning on concentrating on first time viewings myself. but the last time this challenge was run, rewatches were disallowed.

Oh, and I love the image you've chosen for the OP. :thumbsup:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6145
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#39

Post by sol » December 2nd, 2017, 4:42 am

1. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010, Apichatpong Weerasethakul) Thailand

Very odd film. I couldn't quite work out if it was meant to be a comedy or a drama. There is something rather WTF about how calm and placid the characters are when visited by ghosts and hairy figures with red glowing eyes (who claim to be long-lost relatives). Some pretty cool imagery in the scenes set at night/dusk/twilight (and underwater). The vast majority of the film though is set in daylight with little of note occurring as the characters sit around awaiting the protagonist's imminent death. Not recommended.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6660
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#40

Post by 3eyes » December 2nd, 2017, 5:50 am

1.Golden kingdom 2015, Myanmar)
Disclosure: This has an American director and mostly U.S. production, with cast, location and language all in Myanmar (apparently first film shot there since the country opened up post-war). Four child Buddhist monks in a secluded rural monastery must fend for themselves when the abbot is called away. Tje ongoing civil warcomes close enough but is not the focus. Much attention to Buddhist ritual, folklore, etc. Slow but I found it involving. (Streaming on NF US; 5th check)
Last edited by 3eyes on December 2nd, 2017, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Post Reply