Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Mar 20th)
Polls: Fantasy (Results), 2003 awards (Mar 10th), DtC Nominations (Mar 18th), 1921 awards (Mar 21st), Academy Awards (Mar 22nd), Children (Apr 7th)
Challenges: French, War, Female Directors
World Cup: Semi finals schedule, SF-B (Mar 21st)
Film of the Week: Le vieux fusil

Collecting Movies

funkybusiness
Donator

Re: Collecting Movies

Post by funkybusiness » December 26th, 2018, 8:05 am

OldAle1 wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 6:46 pm
I have every Orson Welles feature on BD or DVD... except for The Other Side of the Wind, and that upsets me!
the producers of the film have said they are prepping a special edition for home video, most assume Criterion is handling it.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 26th, 2018, 9:43 am

joachimt wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 6:25 pm
Among the people who still buy stuff, am I the only one who feels this way? I'm actually considering selling a large part of my collection on the next flee market. At least mainstream stuff anyway.
I work the other way around. I watch first, buy after. A buy feels more like an endorsement than anything else. It's money for the makers because they did such a good job. Then again, I only buy the films I rate 8/10 or higher, so that's a potential pool of about 1100 films. I currently have 550 DVDs/BRs, I do get annoyed about how much space they take up, but mostly because they take up so much more space than they should (why are DVD boxes so thick when DVDs are so small?).

I keep buying though, it's my way of showing a team/studio/director I cared about the film. Then again, I either stream or download them first, so all those 7s and lower never see a dime from me (unless I streamed it).

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » December 26th, 2018, 9:54 am

I'm in Oldale's situation.

I love owning the thousands of movies I own. I don't get to see silent films on Netflix, and I would hate it if a movie I intended to watch was just pulled from whatever platform I'm currently paying... I can spend whole evenings going through my shelves, and taking dvds for a short extract or sequence I love. I have always loved libraries, and movies, I live in a library of movies.

The only difference with earlier is that I used to buy movies I wanted to own, and movies I wanted to watch, which resulted in my owning films i didn't care for. That stopped, I watch first, then buy, so only purchase films I want to own. But I love so many movies it doesn't make a huge difference in any case.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » December 26th, 2018, 4:52 pm

havent been collecting since teens, probably because i havent had steady job so much preferred film festivals and other screenings