Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Collecting Movies

George Bailey

Collecting Movies

Post by George Bailey » July 25th, 2012, 10:52 pm

When I watch movies, I usually download them but I also buy many of them. I own like 150 movies and buy most of them when I am in Denmark. I was in Denmark this month and came home with 21 films. That's a record.

I bought:

Epidemic
Pusher 3
Never on Sunday
Spejlet
Winter Light
Paris, Texas
Lady Vengeance
Y Tu mama Tambien
Umberto D.
Offret
A Man Escaped
Miracolo a Milano
Blue Velvet
il Gattopardo
The Scent of the Green Papaya
Una Giornata Particolare
Ladri di Bicicletti
Orfeu Negro
Rocco e i suoi fratelli
Last, but the best: IDI I SMOTRI!!!

So....Do you collect movies as well?

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » July 26th, 2012, 1:47 am

I'm in Los Angeles on Holiday at the moment.

So Far I bought:
- 32 Classic Cult Drive-In Movies.
- Criterion Collection's Ladri di biciclette (this was 50% off in Barnes & Nobles, so good bargain. :)
- The Ghost Of Frankenstein
- Son Of Frankenstein

I've also bought some TV Series:
- Leave It To Beaver Season 1 & 2
- I Love Lucy Season 2

I've been dying to buy the Complete Original Twilight Zone, but it's around $300. :/

I've been trying to collect Criterion and tv series, but it's too expensive to do it's constantly. So far I only have Grey Gardens, Spartacus and Lardri di biciclette. I also own around 160 dvd's in total :thumbsup:
Last edited by Nuclearplanet on July 26th, 2012, 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » July 26th, 2012, 3:18 am

Criterion, Masters of Cinema, Second Run, and similar distributors are definitely worth supporting. And off course I do because their releases are awesome.
Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

jgwr

Post by jgwr » July 26th, 2012, 6:21 am

900+ DVDs and rising. Space for them... not so good :(

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 26th, 2012, 7:11 am

Dolwphin on Jul 25 2012, 09:18:59 PM wrote:Criterion, Masters of Cinema, Second Run, and similar distributors are definitely worth supporting. And off course I do because their releases are awesome.
:thumbsup:

Also, in a cynical way, their releases are worth buying because they retain value should you want to sell them again in future (unlike any mainstream film which pretty much just get cheaper and cheaper). means I don't mind buying things I haven't seen 'cause I can always sell them if I'm not fussed about them..

I'd say I've got ~500 DVDs/blu-rays but I'm constantly buying/selling as I try to hone the perfect collection :D

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 26th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Yeah, Criterions are a good investment, you can always sell them at a good price since there is steady demand. Some earlier releases are surprisingly expensive. With regular DVDs you need to be careful with what you buy unless you are sure you will never want to sell them, they will go for peanuts...

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 26th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Another good investment is Disney because they artificially limit supply and make their classic titles go out of print for several years at a time. You can easily double your money if you buy/sell at the right time and there's some mad collectors for those things, esp if you manage to get rare ones (e.g. with slipcovers).

An example of craziness: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Chronolog ... 231fe0a59b

yep £150 (~$240) for a DVD of Donald Duck cartoons in a fancy tin :wacko:

Whole market for DVDs/blurays will probably crash in the next few years once streaming becomes the absolute default, but there'll still be collectors for things like Criterion/Disney..

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 26th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Yeah, somebody surely put a wrong figure in their ebay sniper :D
I would not be so pessimistic about physical media, I believe there will always be demand for fancy packaging, booklets, out-of-print items etc.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff » July 26th, 2012, 4:55 pm

I have over 1000 DVDs. I have all the Academy Award best pictures (except for Cavalcade,which is only available in the overpriced Fox 75th Anniversary box set), all the AFI top 100 (both iterations), all of Hitchcock, close to 700 Film Noir, and a couple hundred others. I'm in the process of donating the Best Picture and AFI DVDs to my local library.

I pick up Criterion when they have their sales (like now) and I have about 60 titles (including multiples in box sets). I also am partial to Warner Archives, with over 100, mostly Noir and some silents and pre-codes. I pick them up when they have their sales as well.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » July 27th, 2012, 12:22 am

Dolwphin on Jul 25 2012, 09:18:59 PM wrote:Criterion, Masters of Cinema, Second Run, and similar distributors are definitely worth supporting. And off course I do because their releases are awesome.
+ Midnight Movies. If your into Cult/Campy Films. And The Milcreek 50 Movie Packs. I own a few of them. They're basically all Public Domain Films most of the time, most of them really shity.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » July 29th, 2012, 10:50 am

I Just Bought the Decalogue. YAY!
:P

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » July 30th, 2012, 9:16 pm

I won't start mentioning all the movies I bought, because it is over 2000 dvd's. I have to put them in slimcases, so it won't take much space (still a complete wall is coveredd with them). Lately I had to move them because my second child is about to come. Fortunately I still have room in my house to buy some more.

All the movies which I didn't buy, are kept save on two separate HD's. I always be sure to keep my digital moviearchive in duplicate.

All together I have collected 6200 titles so far...
Last edited by joachimt on July 30th, 2012, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 30th, 2012, 10:11 pm

joachimt on Jul 30 2012, 03:16:54 PM wrote:All together I have collected 6200 titles so far...
How many of them have you watched? And do you keep films even if you don't like them?

Do you think you'll continue to collect/archive digital copies if it reaches a point where it's as easy to just instantly stream everything online?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 6th, 2012, 11:27 am

brokenface on Jul 30 2012, 04:11:54 PM wrote:
joachimt on Jul 30 2012, 03:16:54 PM wrote:All together I have collected 6200 titles so far...
How many of them have you watched? And do you keep films even if you don't like them?

Do you think you'll continue to collect/archive digital copies if it reaches a point where it's as easy to just instantly stream everything online?
I have approximately 80 unwatched dvd's and 700 unwatched titles in my digital archive.

When I really hate a movie on dvd, I sell it. It doesn't happen a lot, though. If a movie is just 'enjoyable' I still save it.

I don't know when I will stop buying. I also buy cd's (also over 1800) and don't use iTunes or something similar. I still like to hold the product in my hands. Maybe I'm old-fashioned? Or are there more people who feel that way? Maybe it's age (I'm 33), I didn't grow up with computers.
ICM-profile

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » August 7th, 2012, 3:45 am

I Just bought Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind On DVD! Yay! 2-Disc Edition all for $4.99

sebby

Post by sebby » August 19th, 2012, 6:03 pm

I only buy films that I know I will watch again and again, so I have less than 50 (including a handful of TV series).

I tend to prefer watching new films to ones I have already seen, so I don't really see the point in building a huge DVD library. I'd rather save the space and use the money saved for cinema-going and building a nice home theater setup. Most of the films I watch are obtained from the library or streaming services.

Marazmatique

Post by Marazmatique » August 20th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Would any of you guys with enormous collections care to post pictures? I'm not doubting your words, I'm just curious how you'd even store over 1000 DVDs and what it would look like.

chemosh6969

Post by chemosh6969 » August 21st, 2012, 1:07 am

I have around 14k individual titles on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray. I have about 2/3rds of my collection in binders due to lack of shelves. I'm in the middle of reorganizing my theater room and doing some minor construction. I blocked out 4 skylights and am going to put some trim around my screen to make it look nice and fancy. I'm also figuring out seating, what seats I'll keep/replace/upgrade/etc.

I just started reorganizing all my movies yesterday since I have a bunch of new stuff all around the house and I have a couple cube shelves to help out, although I doubt it'll make that much of a difference.

Pictures that need to find a wall to live on. Princess and the Frog is signed by the animators and Evil Bong 3 is signed by the cast.

On-screen prop from Gingerdead Man 2

jgwr

Post by jgwr » August 21st, 2012, 4:04 am

Marazmatique on Aug 20 2012, 09:24:35 AM wrote:I'm just curious how you'd even store over 1000 DVDs and what it would look like.
1) With considerable difficulty.
2) A fucking mess.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 21st, 2012, 5:28 am

jgwr on Aug 20 2012, 10:04:24 PM wrote:1) With considerable difficulty.
2) A fucking mess.
Somehow I have a feeling that those two answers are the correct responses for a lot of questions.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 21st, 2012, 8:33 am

Here's my collection. Five bookcases full. I put all dvd's in a slimcase, so it is even more than it looks like.

Last edited by joachimt on August 21st, 2012, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICM-profile

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 21st, 2012, 8:56 am

:satstunned:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Marazmatique

Post by Marazmatique » August 21st, 2012, 11:09 pm

Ohhh man. Wow...

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » August 21st, 2012, 11:17 pm

joachimt on Aug 21 2012, 02:33:30 AM wrote:Here's my collection. Five bookcases full. I put all dvd's in a slimcase, so it is even more than it looks like.

It's Beautiful (l)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 22nd, 2012, 6:29 pm

Nuclearplanet on Aug 21 2012, 05:17:33 PM wrote:It's Beautiful (l)
I'm glad you all like the picture. :)
ICM-profile

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » September 10th, 2012, 10:38 am

I've 800+ dvd of hollywood movies and also buy a new movie DVD for watching i.e The Possession from ebay...
Last edited by Deleted User on September 10th, 2012, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 8:35 am

I Counted that I bought around 40 DVDs in the last two months. :blink:

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » September 17th, 2012, 4:57 pm

If you keep doing that for a few years, you might end up with a wall of dvd's like I did. Watch out, it's very addictive!
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 13th, 2016, 12:14 pm

The pic from three years ago is gone. I'm thinking of using another method of storing my dvd's in my new house. The collection is now one giant wall of dvd's about 4 m wide and 2 m high. I think it's about 2500 dvd's in slimcases. In my new house I don't want the giant wall anymore, so I'm looking for a more efficient way (without putting them in sleeves). I'm thinking of using drawers. Would be a problem to find something where dvd's fit perfectly. Any ideas?
ICM-profile

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » March 13th, 2016, 12:19 pm

joachimt on Mar 13 2016, 06:14:05 AM wrote:The pic from three years ago is gone. I'm thinking of using another method of storing my dvd's in my new house. The collection is now one giant wall of dvd's about 4 m wide and 2 m high. I think it's about 2500 dvd's in slimcases. In my new house I don't want the giant wall anymore, so I'm looking for a more efficient way (without putting them in sleeves). I'm thinking of using drawers. Would be a problem to find something where dvd's fit perfectly. Any ideas?
I don't really care about it, at least not until I move out, but my plan is to get a spinning rack, something like this:

Last edited by XxXApathy420XxX on March 13th, 2016, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » March 13th, 2016, 12:43 pm

joachimt on Mar 13 2016, 06:14:05 AM wrote:The pic from three years ago is gone. I'm thinking of using another method of storing my dvd's in my new house. The collection is now one giant wall of dvd's about 4 m wide and 2 m high. I think it's about 2500 dvd's in slimcases. In my new house I don't want the giant wall anymore, so I'm looking for a more efficient way (without putting them in sleeves). I'm thinking of using drawers. Would be a problem to find something where dvd's fit perfectly. Any ideas?
Maybe something like an apotherskast? There are shops that specialize in DVD/CD/blu ray-cabinets, maybe they have a solution you like.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 13th, 2016, 1:47 pm

This thread should be moved to General Film Discussion. :geek:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 13th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Lonewolf2003 on Mar 13 2016, 06:43:37 AM wrote:
Maybe something like an apotherskast? There are shops that specialize in DVD/CD/blu ray-cabinets, maybe they have a solution you like.
That might be a good idea indeed. I'll look into that. :thumbsup:
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 13th, 2016, 8:53 pm

I honestly stopped collecting in earnest some time ago - might buy a handful of movies a year (at best and always used) now. Don't tend to rewatch much anymore though there are occasions... The thing I have slowly been 'collecting' are favourite TV series - mostly from the Golden Age of HBO (around 2000). And probably the biggest reason I decided to buy those is the copies I get from the library are in pretty bad shape. Probably the next DVD I buy will either be "The Great Beauty", "Spirited Away", or "Sopranos" season three.

But at this point, since finding iCM, I've still got so many movies I haven't seen that I 'need' to watch that I hardly have time to rewatch even my most favourite things (and then I'm just likely to fall asleep anyway).

Likewise, since I started having trouble with my eyes, I don't read books as much and have finally slowed way down on acquiring them, no matter how interesting and how good the price. Mostly I just borrow and ebook - again, from the library - so I can adjust the font on my tablet. Failing that, I need large print and they're just not easy to come by (and usually pretty expensive). Again, with so many books I want and need to read, it hardly seems worth buying them...I won't live long enough to read them all, let alone read them again!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » March 17th, 2016, 8:50 am

I'm up to almost 2000. I live right down the street from a couple pawn shops, and I usually find a couple good movies in there when I go. A couple times I've found a Criterion, and who can pass up on one of them for $2?

I'd post pics, but, they are all over the place right now haha. I haven't been able to get my shelves out of storage, so, a lot of them are in totes, and the rest of them are scattered about (unfortunately).
Last edited by Nathan Treadway on March 17th, 2016, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » March 17th, 2016, 10:03 am

Have many people resorted to storing their DVD/BDs in wallets? I did that with my CD collection some time ago and have been meaning to buy one for DVDs - mainly my Stargate SG1 collection, since it fills a whole box and the liners/inserts are pretty much all the same.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 17th, 2016, 10:41 am

xianjiro on Mar 17 2016, 04:03:58 AM wrote:Have many people resorted to storing their DVD/BDs in wallets? I did that with my CD collection some time ago and have been meaning to buy one for DVDs - mainly my Stargate SG1 collection, since it fills a whole box and the liners/inserts are pretty much all the same.
I think it's a shame to put all my cd's in in wallets together instead of the separate cases. I like the view of the collection and standing in front of the shelves deciding what music to put on. If I'd put it in wallets I might as well digitalize everything and throw the discs away.

I feel the same about my dvd-collection, but I wouldn't mind if they were less visible, so I'm thinking about the apothekerskast (what's the English word?) as mentioned by Lonewolf.
Last edited by joachimt on March 17th, 2016, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 22nd, 2018, 6:25 pm

Long time since there was a post here. There's probably another thread now with roughly the same subject, but I couldn't think of others......

Anyway, lately I'm feeling more and more "what's the point of saving all these dvd's?". Every time a movie that I won pops up on Netflix or Film1, I'm thinking: "Why do I have this on DVD/Bluray? I could have watched it here instead." A few months ago I bought a whole bunch of Blurays and a lot of those have appeared on Netflix or Film1 in the meantime. So it feels like a waste of money. I payed 7-8 euros for each Bluray and I pay 10 euros a month for Netflix. The dilemma is always that you don't know what is going to be added to Netflix, so if I want to see a movie and it's for sale for a reasonable price, it seems like a good deal. It's just a shame if it ends up at Netflix later anyway.

Among the people who still buy stuff, am I the only one who feels this way? I'm actually considering selling a large part of my collection on the next flee market. At least mainstream stuff anyway.
ICM-profile

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 22nd, 2018, 6:46 pm

I generally don't feel that way, no, because

a) I don't trust that anything will be legally available streaming forever, particularly more obscure stuff.
b) there really isn't enough good stuff on Amazon Prime and especially Netflix for me to justify keeping them forever.
c) quality is often not as good, from what I can see. Admittedly I haven't done a head-to-head BD-to-streaming comparison (only have 1 tv and 1 laptop, would be hard to really be precise) but I typically notice that the contrasts aren't as strong on a lot of streaming copies as I would expect them to be, and especially that the blacks aren't as black.
d) I like extras.
f) I'm old and I grew up collecting things.

I will say that it maybe has had an effect on the borderline-buys, and there are things I've wanted to own that I know aren''t available in great copies, that I might have bought 10 years ago anyway but wouldn't now because I can see the same thing on Amz, Net, or even YouTube or some other free site in quality that is no worse. And stuff that I like and don't mind watching on occasion but don't necessarily feel attached enough to own - although unfortunately many of those seem to be things that aren't typically available streaming, i.e. Die Hard. TV stuff is in that category - I'd like to go through all of Star Trek & Next Generation sometime but I don't know that I want to buy them. They're probably examples of a) though - if they are available streaming at the moment, will they always be? What if Paramount starts a pay-streaming service, or partners with another pay service that I'm not subscribed to? Oh well, now I have to buy another service, or give in and by the physical copies.

f) is probably the major reason when it comes down to it, I'm just of that generation that likes to see a wall of movies/books/cds and I don't want to give it up, and as long as I can maintain the space for it I probably will continue to expand it. And while I don't consider myself particularly OCD there's definitely a part of me that is irritated, deeply irritated, that now it's becoming impossible to own legal physical copies of some things because they're only streaming. I have every Orson Welles feature on BD or DVD... except for The Other Side of the Wind, and that upsets me!
Last edited by OldAle1 on December 22nd, 2018, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » December 22nd, 2018, 7:00 pm

When I was single, I used to have over 1400 DVDs and Blurays. It took a whole wall on my apartment.
I moved with my girlfriend 3 years ago and as we needed space, I kept 400 or so on shelves and put the rest on boxes.
A few months ago I noticed that I hadn't open these boxes for 2 years and decided to sell most of my collection.
So far I've sold over 300 of those, still a long way to go.
In the same time I've bought maybe 5-10 DVDs only, so I'm pretty proud of myself :)

And of course the ones I've on my shelves are thoses I want to keep absolutely !