Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

Please help me find a movie?

piet

Please help me find a movie?

Post by piet » May 10th, 2012, 7:48 pm

You've helped me find a movie last time, it would be awesome if you could do it again.

The movie is about a guy who uses collective knowledge to predict and alter the future to not get caught by secret agency. It kicks off with him knowing a package is gonna blow up in the street. He also dumps crisps on the train track to distract a helicopter.

Anyone? Big thanks in advance!

kierkegaardian

Post by kierkegaardian » May 19th, 2012, 8:21 am

This is a new request for trying to identify a movie. It's a long shot.

I caught a scene when I was 15 of a real smutty film that has stuck with me from this formative period. I wanna say it was on Cinemax or something c. 1994-5. The film stock looked like it had to be early '90s-- I would be surprised if it was '80s. It wasn't as overtly softcore as an Andy Sidaris, but similar feel and looked slightly cheaper.

I BELIEVE these are the details of the scene I remember. A female agent is captured by the baddies, is tied up and being guarded by a goon in a warehouse. The goon is into her because she is a hot, short-haired blonde wearing (I think) a revealing red top. The goon removes her top and she acts like she's into it and convinces him to untie her. He does and she kicks his ass and gets away topless.

This movie wasn't quite Au Hasard Bathazar, but I've been trying to locate it for decades. Any leads would be appreciated if you're up for the challenge.

HEMA

Post by HEMA » May 20th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Piet - do you have more information? Period? Genre?

I'm also looking for a film:
It's a Czech (or possibly Slovakian) film, about the people in an apartment building. The story is told from the perspective of the teenage children. The main character is a dark haired boy. Half his family is pro-government/communism, half (including his parents I believe) is against.

I estimate the movie was made in the 80s, and definitely before 1989, as I was surprised they could make a film so critical of communism at the time.

Any ideas?

Angellike

Post by Angellike » May 21st, 2012, 8:09 pm

I have a request for a film title I can't seem to find - I guess this is the right place? If not I apologize and ask that you push me in the right direction.

Here's what I remember:
The film starts with a woman recording some sort of application for a scholarship of some sort since she's low on funds. Somehow she's introduced to stripping (which she's planning in only doing once, for some quick cash). First time goes well, and then the friend who introduced her to stripping asks if she can cover for her since she's injured. It's a private job for some 'big shot' but turns out to be a stripper-asylum of sorts where the 'doctor' who started it is looking to cleanse the impure souls of these strippers (of which there are many). The doctor puts them through various challenges, the last one being that the subject gets offered to take a briefcase of money and leave - when they do he kills them.

I saw it a couple of years ago, probably an American production and would really appreciate if someone could tell me it's title.

//Angellike

piet

Post by piet » May 24th, 2012, 10:44 pm

HEMA on May 20 2012, 03:56:14 PM wrote:Piet - do you have more information? Period? Genre?
No, sorry, I should have stated that it wasn't me personally that was looking for the film, but someone I follow on Twitter. He still hasn't found it, here's what he knows (starts May 10): http://twitter.com/#!/ensernoisia.

If anybody could help me/him, that would be great :) And thanks WalterNeff for the help so far!

I don't know the other movies mentioned here, sorry :(

Limedebois

Post by Limedebois » May 24th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Imagine a world where everyone would never watch the same movies. Have you seen The Ten Things to Know? It's greatest film ever done in my world. Ho, seems cool!

Actually. All these films are dreams. Nobody except us know about it.

My favorite dreamovie has a scene in a shower and while the character lazes around his humanid nudity, a shadow appears behind him coming throw a trap wall. Norman Bates's machete hits him several times. Swick Swick Bang bang.

I'm holed to all subjection.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 6th, 2012, 3:15 pm

I'm trying to find Venus Peter (1989) and Tickets for the Zoo (1991).

JCS

Post by JCS » July 24th, 2012, 3:50 pm

If anyone can find this online I would be grateful.

http://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/small+fry-2011/

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » July 24th, 2012, 6:06 pm

JCS on Jul 24 2012, 09:50:46 AM wrote:If anyone can find this online I would be grateful.

Small Fry. It'll probably not help you, since you're in the UK... :(

Does this (pay to play) Youtube link work for you?
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » July 24th, 2012, 7:37 pm

JCS on Jul 24 2012, 09:50:46 AM wrote:If anyone can find this online I would be grateful.

I saw that short last December but I didn't know what it was called, so I just checked it now (it was shown in theaters before The Muppets).

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » July 24th, 2012, 9:06 pm

mjf314 on Jul 24 2012, 01:37:43 PM wrote:

I saw that short last December but I didn't know what it was called, so I just checked it now (it was shown in theaters before The Muppets).
Yep that's where I saw it too :D

Seems to be here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih02cOY4VYE

located with a whole 3 second youtube search :P

Gregmnewman

Post by Gregmnewman » July 25th, 2012, 10:33 am

brokenface on Jul 24 2012, 03:06:44 PM wrote:
mjf314 on Jul 24 2012, 01:37:43 PM wrote:

Yep that's where I saw it too :D

Seems to be here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih02cOY4VYE

located with a whole 3 second youtube search :P
It's weird You Tube won't display this film on a mobile device and it doesn't even show up in searches
Last edited by Gregmnewman on July 25th, 2012, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCS

Post by JCS » July 25th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Thanks! Did not want to pay for it.

Did search on Youtube but could not find it like Greg could not.

Got you a check then mjf! ;)

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » August 7th, 2012, 1:05 pm

There was a black & white movie from around the forties or fifties I saw when I was a kid. A man married a woman very shortly after meeting her (one day if I remember correctly). They had a baby within one year and domestic life soon became unbearable as they could hardly even stand each other anymore. This was pretty much the gist of the movie.

Does anyone remember this?

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » August 7th, 2012, 5:08 pm

allisoncm on Aug 7 2012, 07:05:38 AM wrote:There was a black & white movie from around the forties or fifties I saw when I was a kid. A man married a woman very shortly after meeting her (one day if I remember correctly). They had a baby within one year and domestic life soon became unbearable as they could hardly even stand each other anymore. This was pretty much the gist of the movie.

Could it be Made for Each Other, with Jimmy Stewart and Carole Lombard? I saw it during '30s challenge (1939, John Cromwell...close to the '40s!), and your plot description sounds *really* similar...
Last edited by burneyfan on August 7th, 2012, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kowry

Post by Kowry » August 17th, 2012, 3:33 pm

I have a very vague recollection of seeing a certain black-and-white film in TV as a kid/teen. It may have been a film noir, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the protagonist was a newspaperman, I think, and most of the film was set in an office where they made the newspaper (or at least I only remember the scenes in the office). I remember the newspaper man had the intention to get into a train (or some vehicle...) and the end of the movie was about was he going to make it or something like that. There was possibly a man who tried to stop him from doing that, and there was maybe a lady waiting for the newspaperman...

So okay, my description was definitely pretty vague and I may remember some of it wrong, but if someone knows the film or has a sophisticated guess, I'd appreciate it.
Last edited by Kowry on August 17th, 2012, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frbrown

Post by frbrown » August 17th, 2012, 4:36 pm

Kowry on Aug 17 2012, 09:33:13 AM wrote:I have a very vague recollection of seeing a certain black-and-white film in TV as a kid/teen. It may have been a film noir, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the protagonist was a newspaperman, I think, and most of the film was set in an office where they made the newspaper (or at least I only remember the scenes in the office). I remember the newspaper man had the intention to get into a train (or some vehicle...) and the end of the movie was about was he going to make it or something like that. There was possibly a man who tried to stop him from doing that, and there was maybe a lady waiting for the newspaperman...

So okay, my description was definitely pretty vague and I may remember some of it wrong, but if someone knows the film or has a sophisticated guess, I'd appreciate it.
Sounds like it could be The Front Page, either the 1931 or 1974 version.

Limedebois

Post by Limedebois » August 17th, 2012, 7:10 pm

Could be the first one cause the second is in color. It takes place in a prison but it's a bureau where all newpapermen work. The rest fit perfectly yes. Apart from the fact that it's a comedy not a film noir.

Kowry

Post by Kowry » August 17th, 2012, 8:48 pm

Thanks frbrown and Lim, could very well be the 1931 version of The Front Page. I don't remember it being a comedy, but then again I remember very little about it. I have to watch it to find out.

brendo333

Post by brendo333 » August 18th, 2012, 3:07 am

A man is sitting on the floor with his legs crossed and gets stabed from underneath.

Imagine the house from Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring on the ground, enclosed with wooden walls. That's kind of location that I imagine is from that film. Also I can remember the film was a bit spooky and the man getting killed was Asian.

SanderO

Post by SanderO » August 23rd, 2012, 12:37 pm

Vague description from the boss of a friend who remembers just the ending so the description is in a spoiler box:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
The movie is about a man who seems unusual in a mentally unbalanced sort of way during the movie. In the final section of the movie there is a flashback with him in his car and his child in the back seat. The child throws a stuffed animal up front and causes a car accident which presumably causes the death of the child.
Any help would be appreciated!

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » August 23rd, 2012, 1:04 pm

Possibly The Machinist? I can't remember it exactly, but it was along those lines.

SanderO

Post by SanderO » August 23rd, 2012, 1:11 pm

I looked it up but the ending is different from what was described to me but I can see why you thought of it. I'll pass it on as a possible in case the remembered plot was incorrect :)

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » August 23rd, 2012, 1:20 pm

Yeah I didn't remember anything about a kid with a stuffed animal but the premise sounded similar..

LordKinbote

Post by LordKinbote » August 28th, 2012, 6:08 am

Could someone help me with this one? It's on behalf of a friend of my mother-in-law...

"Hi all!
I have a very bizarre question. I have been trying to locate an old movie because of a reference I want to make to in in an article. This movie was a black and white movie, probably made in the 60's (maybe earlier) and it was about gargoyles coming to life at night, so it was somewhat of a horror movie. In the one I am talking about all comes to an end and you think the horror is over, but the people in the pickup truck are driving away and then the Gargoyles hand comes up out of the back of the pickup truck and then the movie ends. I have found some references to it online, but it is all other people trying to locate the same movie, too.

It is not the Disney version or the color version that came out in 1972 called The Gargoyles. Anyway, if this jogs someone's memory, and you remember it, please share with me any details you can remember. Otherwise, just trash this email.

If I ever find out what it is, I'll let you know. Was the first movie I ever watched that really scared me and I don't think I watched another horror movie since then.
Thanks!"

I think there's some false remembrance going on, but that's what I've been given to work with.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » August 28th, 2012, 7:51 am

Oh no, not the b/w gargoyle movie! I'm on another board where countless people are looking for that one and nobody knows what the name is. I suspect it's a tv episode of some kind.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » August 28th, 2012, 3:50 pm

LordKinbote on Aug 28 2012, 12:08:50 AM wrote:Could someone help me with this one? It's on behalf of a friend of my mother-in-law...

"Hi all!
I have a very bizarre question. I have been trying to locate an old movie because of a reference I want to make to in in an article. This movie was a black and white movie, probably made in the 60's (maybe earlier) and it was about gargoyles coming to life at night, so it was somewhat of a horror movie. In the one I am talking about all comes to an end and you think the horror is over, but the people in the pickup truck are driving away and then the Gargoyles hand comes up out of the back of the pickup truck and then the movie ends. I have found some references to it online, but it is all other people trying to locate the same movie, too.

It is not the Disney version or the color version that came out in 1972 called The Gargoyles. Anyway, if this jogs someone's memory, and you remember it, please share with me any details you can remember. Otherwise, just trash this email.

If I ever find out what it is, I'll let you know. Was the first movie I ever watched that really scared me and I don't think I watched another horror movie since then.
Thanks!"

I think there's some false remembrance going on, but that's what I've been given to work with.
No idea but you could try the Classic Horror Film Boards, if anyone would know I'm sure someone there would.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » August 28th, 2012, 5:54 pm

burneyfan on Aug 7 2012, 11:08:32 AM wrote:
allisoncm on Aug 7 2012, 07:05:38 AM wrote:There was a black & white movie from around the forties or fifties I saw when I was a kid. A man married a woman very shortly after meeting her (one day if I remember correctly). They had a baby within one year and domestic life soon became unbearable as they could hardly even stand each other anymore. This was pretty much the gist of the movie.

Could it be Made for Each Other, with Jimmy Stewart and Carole Lombard? I saw it during '30s challenge (1939, John Cromwell...close to the '40s!), and your plot description sounds *really* similar...
Hmm, I don't think the man was Jimmy Stewart. And I don't think the wife was blonde (but brunette). I also saw Made for Each Other in 2006 and it didn't ring any bells (oh, this is the movie I saw when I was a kid).

Hmm, any other guesses?

JCS

Post by JCS » September 4th, 2012, 9:26 am

Anyone have a Youtube link or other link to the Pixar short La Luna?

Heard it was beautiful.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 4th, 2012, 10:26 am

I'm looking for a movie about these british twin boys, at the end of the movie one of them sneaks on an airplane by holding on to a part of the plane on the outside. He gets off and its really cold.

Gregmnewman

Post by Gregmnewman » September 4th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Nuclearplanet on Sep 4 2012, 04:26:10 AM wrote:I'm looking for a movie about these british twin boys, at the end of the movie one of them sneaks on an airplane by holding on to a part of the plane on the outside. He gets off and its really cold.
That sounds like Tom and Thomas (2002)

Gregmnewman

Post by Gregmnewman » September 7th, 2012, 11:12 am

I may be imagining this, but...

I'm sure I once saw a film starring Jerry Lewis or Norman Wisdom or a similar actor, and in my memory there are 3 significant things
- an inventor/invention
- a cleaning product maybe toothpaste
- a tv advert

I've scanned the plot summaries of all films by both actors and nothing looks right so maybe it was all a dream
Idenified on letterBoxd it was Dentist on the Job starring Bob Monkhouse. Hardly a classic, but glad to know I wasn't imagining it
Last edited by Gregmnewman on September 7th, 2012, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Innocuous Bird

Post by Innocuous Bird » September 9th, 2012, 2:53 am

There's a short I was looking for, forgot it, then was reminded about it again after watching Thanatopsis.
For some reason I never even thought to ask here, where are all you knowledgeable folk reside.

It's an experimental short. I'm pretty sure it was an official check. There is a ballerina, if I remember correctly - she is in all white, dancing, spinning, and is surrounded in darkness. And her figure multiplies, forms back into one, and multiplies, etc etc. I think that was all that happens in it.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 9th, 2012, 3:44 am

Gregmnewman on Sep 4 2012, 08:08:29 AM wrote:
Nuclearplanet on Sep 4 2012, 04:26:10 AM wrote:I'm looking for a movie about these british twin boys, at the end of the movie one of them sneaks on an airplane by holding on to a part of the plane on the outside. He gets off and its really cold.
That sounds like Tom and Thomas (2002)
Yup, that the one. Thanks :thumbsup:

HEMA

Post by HEMA » September 9th, 2012, 6:33 am

Innocuous Bird on Sep 8 2012, 08:53:49 PM wrote:There's a short I was looking for, forgot it, then was reminded about it again after watching Thanatopsis.
For some reason I never even thought to ask here, where are all you knowledgeable folk reside.

It's an experimental short. I'm pretty sure it was an official check. There is a ballerina, if I remember correctly - she is in all white, dancing, spinning, and is surrounded in darkness. And her figure multiplies, forms back into one, and multiplies, etc etc. I think that was all that happens in it.
This IS an official check, it's on this list, I suspect somewhere between 50 and 200 (closer to 200 than to 50 I think)
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/all+s ... ts/mjf314/

I know this because I saw it recently, but I forgot which one it was...

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » September 9th, 2012, 6:37 am

Innocuous Bird on Sep 8 2012, 08:53:49 PM wrote:There's a short I was looking for, forgot it, then was reminded about it again after watching Thanatopsis.

That sounds like Pas de deux.

Innocuous Bird

Post by Innocuous Bird » September 10th, 2012, 1:06 am

mjf314 on Sep 9 2012, 12:37:40 AM wrote:

That sounds like Pas de deux.
That's the one! :thumbsup:
Thanks, mjf314.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » August 16th, 2014, 9:09 pm

Back in the 1980s, we had chance to see plenty of children films (mostly 30min shorts) from all around the world. I believe some aren't even listen on IMDb, but out of curiosity I was persistent to discover their titles many years later. These were shown within a so-called "EBU drama" film cycle, albeit I don't know if they were put together under that blanket term abroad, or do they have any inter-connection whatsoever. Luckily I have a good memory, and we were even told beforehand in the newspapers what is going to be shown next. I even remember some years of production. However I don't have high hopes that some of you have seen these:

1) Netherlands, 1984/85 - A blonde-haired boy with glasses named Joost, aged about 12, comes to something called "Zonnekamp" (the backroad sign) to spend a scouting weekend there with his peers. He's being constantly ignored and ridiculed by kids there, only to get up on his bicycle and leave the place. All the time it was a misty rain there, no sun at all. No dialogue, only some mumbling and a few laughs.

2) Netherlands again, 1988 - A kid has a crush on his new, black-skinned teacher. One day while on hi way to school, he finds out that there was a road accident with a car same like hers involved (a Peugeot 205 cabrio I think). He follows the ambulance van on his bike, but loses them. He comes back to school and sees the teacher there, which makes him happy 'cause she didn't die.

3) Germany, 1980s - Two girls ramble across forest and one of them suddenly drops into a big hole in the ground. People come from elsewhere to get her out with a crane. A drama which borders with horror.

4) Norway, 1983 - A deaf kid who often rambles across the hills suddenly stumbles upon an escaped delinquent named Bjorn, aged about 18. They befriend, set up a fire and have a nice time together, but the police finds him and put him handcuffs. The boy sadly looks at his new friend being taken away.

5) Australia, around 1975 - A kid wants to keep iguana's egg in his backyard, but his mom doesn't let him. I think he hid it somewhere only to find out that a dingo or fox ate it.

6) England, 1985 - A kid takes care of his retarded brother whose idol is Stephen Cram. They pretend being at athletic meeting while running across sand beach together.

7) England, early 1980s - Some kids make pranks on an excursion boat trip by the river canal.

8) Ireland, early 1980s - A drama about some kid named Liam and his brass band. Certainly the weakest of them all.